gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:07:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT?  (Read 11899 times)
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« on: June 12, 2004, 12:45:46 PM »

What do you collect?  Lighthouses?  Thimbles?  Barbie dolls??  And let's exclude Clay "stuff."  We've discussed that on other threads.

I don't consider myself a "collector," really, but there are some things that I have that might be considered "collections."  I love miniature tea sets, and have several.  I have tea sets for each holiday and some miscellaneous tea sets, too.  I also have probably 50 violin or music pins that have been given to me over the years.  I don't think I've ever bought one, myself!

What about you?  Are you a collector of something?

Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
houstonclayfan
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 01:04:12 PM »

Neat topic, Prissy !

I collect keychains. My parents went on a cruise for their 25th anniversary when I was in middle school and came back with a keychain for me from each island. Keychains are a cheap (and small) to buy as a remembrance. I thought they were soooo cool !   8)   So then my parents always bought me one from everywhere they went after that.

I have continued and I buy one from every city and state that I visit. I also buy them from museums and such.  Any place neat that I go  :mrgreen:  

I probably have 300 or so now.

My goal is to get every Hard Rock Cafe keychain.  I have visted quite a few Hard Rocks: Boston, Miami, Orlando, NY, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Jamaica....  I know I have more but I dont remember them all right this second. Renee (Songbird457) took me to the Detroit one when I was there for the concert so now I have that one too  :mrgreen:

Friends that go places always bring me back a keychain so its really fun ! Buying keychains of the internet is cheating - I have to know the person that actually went there.
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 01:34:38 PM »

I collect several things. One of which is elephants (figurines, candles, calendars). I love elephants. They are such beautiful animals. They have such emotion and just looking in their eyes, you can see what is being expressed there. They are loyal and family oriented. They are also extremely intelligent. They are such large creatures yet can be so gentle (unless of course you tick them off).

I used to collect movies and had over 300...until a certain person came along.  :roll:  I still love movies but just haven't been as avid in my collecting lately. I had to sell some of them off.

I used to collect books until I got so many I had to put them in storage. I've got boxes and boxes of books in storage. I used to collect children's books as well, I think I may just have every Dr. Seuss book as well as many others. I was starting my collection because I love to read and I wanted to be able to pass that along to my children. Well, seeing as how I have no children yet and it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon I'm going to donate the books to a needy school so at least some children get some enjoyment from them. Books need to be read, not just stuffed in boxes.

I also collect Space memorabilia...magazines, pins, newspapers, posters books, etc. I'm sort of a space geek and working at Space Camp in Florida for 8.5 years only fueled the fire so to speak. I've collected quite a few books written by the astronauts and have been able to get them signed by the authors. I have been able to get many of the 'Life' magazines from the late 50's and most of the 60's that had the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronauts on the cover or an article in them. I've collected some shuttle things as well and have a huge photo album filled with pictures from the many tours I've taken.

I've got collector cards distributed for the shuttle missions along with many of the pins from each mission. I have crew photos for most of the missions in an album. I even have a bunch of pins from the Russian space program! I've got space toys, Space Camp Counselor Barbie, a mars rover, legos, talking trading cards, etc.

Even with all of the things I have, I think the Space memorabilia item that means the most to me is the training manual I co-wrote/researched for incoming counselors at Space Camp. When I started working there the manual was about 20-30 pages if that much. When I got done with it, it was closer to 200 pages with graphics and could be used as a reference guide after training was over. Having that and knowing I contributed to it and that it in turn helped others gain more knowledge about the space program and then turn around and teach that knowledge to others...well, ...that's about the best thing ever.  :D

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 04:38:49 PM »

i used to collect comic books! i still have every single one i bought when i was a kid. well, i shouldn't say i bought them. my grandparent's bought them for me. well, i shouldn't say that either. i'd run to the comic book racks and cry for them to buy the books! what kid has never done that before?? well, i shouldn't say that either. how many 15 year old boys do you know that cried for a Batman comic book?? Laughing:

seriously, they never minded buying comic books for me because it was my way of "fitting in" with a few kids at school so i wouldn't be totally alone.

as i said, i don't buy them anymore because the graphics and art are so phony and computer-driven. i hate the way they look now. except for the Archie comic books, everyother book is on shiny computer paper. The Archies are still on good ol' normal paper and are still hand-drawn...

i also collect TV Guide. recently from eBay i bought the entire 1984 and 1986 years, 104 issues {52 weeks a year}. this isn't counting the issues i have since i started collecting in 1989 when i was 13. i also have several from the late '70s that i've found at flea markets.

i'm not a collector of Old-Time radio but i enjoy listening to OTR. I suppose i might be an OTR enthusiast.

i collect things on voice actors too: Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Don Messick, and Stan Freberg.

i have every major vinyl album, cassette, CD, etc. that Ray Stevens has issued from 1962-present. I have all of Barry Manilow's albums on CD format. i collect a ton of things on singers and comedians that i like. at a flea market i came across a movie AD for "The Abominable Dr. Phibes", one of all-time favorite Vincent Price horror movies. i have all of Price's horror movies from "House of Wax" in 1953 to "Bloodbath at the House of Death" from 1984.

oh, i can't forget all the Charles Bronson movies i have bought or have taped off TV either!

i used to have a battery collection but the sack i kept them in disappeared...the acid ate the bag! when i was real young, like 7 or 8, and didn't care about being clean i use to keep worms in jars that i'd find under rocks...some worms were thin and others were fat...once i had a jar of salt and me and my brother rounded up a bunch of snails and thrown them in the salt jar to see what would happen. it wasn't very pretty so i'll spare the details. {there aren't any snail lovers on here are they? don't be offended}.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 04:49:58 PM »

Quote from: ACcountryFan
i used to collect comic books! i still have every single one i bought when i was a kid.

Hey I used to collect comic books too! I had a great collection of X-Men! Then I sold it off when I was in college to buy Pavarotti concert tickets for my mom for mother's day.

Comic books were the greatest though. A friend of mine created one a while back called "The Guardians" and I learned all about the penciling and inking process and then the color. It's really hard to break into that genre though. He had an agent and tried for several years. Eventually he just turned the story into a novel. You can see some of what he created here: http://www.richardcarbajal.com/, just click on "Superheroes" on the left.

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 07:11:44 PM »

i have a friend who is an artist. he's not an artist who does real-life illustrations. he's a cartoonish artist like i am. well, he's better than me. i can draw something cartoonish if i have the picture in front of me to look from. but he can draw ANYTHING from Bugs Bunny to Fat Albert to Popeye!

anyway, when we were in high school i'd write the short stories and he'd draw the characters in a comic book style saying the words i wrote. we'd typically do this in art class as the end of the semester exam. he too has learned how hard it is to become an artist out in the real world and so he simply does it as a hobby {like i do my writing}.

i saw those pictures on that link. They look like MARVEL comic characters in that style he drew them in...the DC characters weren't as "muscular" {except for perhaps Superman}.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 07:26:38 PM »

Several years ago when I went on vacation I visited a lighthouse and ever since then I started buying lighthouses.  They just intrigue me.  I am getting to the point now that I just have so many that I am getting a little bored.

Lorraine
claynadian
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 11:43:02 PM »

i collect panda stuffed animals and Coins. I have a coin from 1806.
claymore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 01:50:25 AM »

my husband and i collect magnetic state maps. the one you stick in your refrigerator. but we don't buy them just like that. we should be in that state physically. just like last 2 weeks. we took a drive to illinois then to new york. we passed several states and bought magnets on each state we visited. so far since we started doing this, we have been to 28 states and 22 more to go.

houstonclayfan, if i have known i could have brought you a hard rock cafe niagara falls key chain. our hotel was just next to the hard rock cafe.
STEPHANIE1130
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 09:51:05 PM »

Fun Topic!I collect alot of things & my mom does too!I collect JEM and the Hologram dolls not sure if anyone remembers the cartoon JEM that was on in the 80's?Anyhwo,they had dolls and other items I'm a big fan!Anyhwo,I also collect special editon  Barbies such as Holiday & charachter barbies like movies & what not.And I collect stickers,I have tons!And I collect JRNY/Steve Perry items,and CHRISTMAS stuff anything & everything CHRISTMAS!Also any holiday items cause I LOVE to decorate with my mom!My mom collects James Dean,Frank Sinatra,The Monkees & Dick Van Dyke & Starsky & Hutch the t.v. show!I collect Precious Moments and things with my birthstone and things with my name on them!Care Bears,Strawberry Shortcake etc........I guess there is more but I have to sleep  LOL!
mrsaiken3504
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 07:02:05 PM »

My favorite sport and really thing ever is horse racing. So I collect all sorts of stuff from that, mainly articles. I also collect derby pins.
MiniMe
Claycrazy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 12:16:39 PM »

I collect procelin dolls (if that's how you spell it)!! I love them!! It's cool to see the different kinds!! The only problem is when I turn on my black light it makes the whites of their eyes glow in the dark and it makes them look possesed  shock: shock: making me want to go cuddle my mommy!! Wink:

Monkey's Steal My Underwear at Night
sarahdebarah1109
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 06:45:29 PM »

I collect shells from all the beaches I visit.  I have a lot of them now.  I also collect mice things.  I have a little corner in my room dedicated to my mouse collection  Laughing:
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 10:21:04 AM »

... mostly dust.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

MiniMe
Claycrazy

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 08:09:09 AM »

Tell the truth LadyC!!! You also collect flies, and have a green stream of smoke or mist that follows  you and seems to get bigger as you go along!! Twisted:  Laughing:

LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 09:32:21 AM »

LOL  You're a brat, MiniMe.  And if I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, that green smoke is coming from YOUR FEET!!    shock:  Now go clean your room.

I obviously forgot to add that I also collect bratty children.  Anyone want them???

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

a friend in need
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 11:36:58 AM »

hey ladyc you know minime is right and your like that on a good day
you all should see and smell her on a bad day
hey minime get and do your housework
MiniMe
Claycrazy

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 02:25:26 PM »

a friend in need, who are you to tell me to do my house work just cuz  you're a friend doesn't mean you can tell me what to do!! and LadyC, it's not my feet it's the bean burrito you had for dinner last night!! Laughing:

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 04:15:39 PM »

Lady C
and MiniMe,
I think you could be
a comedy team!! Laughing:

Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
MiniMe
Claycrazy

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 10:50:59 AM »

:D Thanks!! We do try to love each other but ya know, it just doesn't work out!!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx