gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: **ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION :: Clay and Comedy**  (Read 4832 times)
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« on: February 03, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »

We Insomniacs have actually been having some pretty good discussions in the middle of the night about Clay.   

franniek54 has been coming up with some very good topics.  So, I am hoping she doesn't mind, but I am bringing this over here for all of us to discuss.  I think this is a very good topic for a Roundtable Discussion.

I have a question for you all.  I was thinking about this today.  With Clay now showing his comedic talent to the world, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts getting some scripts to read for tv and films. 

He likes to be a little over-the-top, outrageous in his comedy, but there's a fine line between funny and vaudeville.  and he really can't do alot of physical comedy, except for those priceless facial expressions.  ROFLMAO 

So who would you like to see Clay model his acting style after, if he does any acting?  Here's some comedic actors that I would like to see him be compared to:

Steve Martin--he's really good at playing goofy, yet sweet, like in Roxanne.

Bill Murray

Leslie Neilson--Clay could do that deadpan stuff, he sure kept a straight face in Spamalot

Owen Wilson--he was hilareous opposite Jackie Chan

Jack Black--also musical and funny

Zach Braff

John Heder

Jason Alexander--started in the theater

David Arquette

Jim Belushi

Allan Cumming--Scottish character actor, very funny

Kevin Kline

John Ritter

David Schwimmer

Jimmy Stewart

Kelsey Grammar

and of course the obvious--David Hyde Pierce, and anyone from the Monty Python troop

What do you guys think?

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:21:55 AM »

pick me  Me, first!!!

I also think Clay is just naturally funny.  I have a son who is naturally funny, too.  Those are the kind of people that are just fun to be around and very well liked.  I think part of Clay's appeal is his great personality...all sides of it.

But let's talk about the comedy.

First of all, I'd like to say that I think Clay is unique and Clay should be Clay.  I don't feel he needs to model himself after anyone, but it is interesting to compare him to other actors.

I LOVE Steve Martin.  I have always liked that kind of comedy.  He can be very silly and very serious.  He knows how to pull off the silly stuff and make up laugh, not roll our eyes.  I certainly think Clay is capable of that kind of comedy.  It actually would be fun to see them together!!!  Maybe even on SNL!!!

As for the others on your list, I think Clay could do things like Kevin Kline, who I enjoy very much also.  He can be goofy and subtle.  I think Clay can be like that.

Also John Ritter.  I could see Clay doing his type of comedy.

And that is MHO.   Wink

I'm SO glad people are embracing Clay's comedic talent in Spamalot.   Clapping
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:33:33 AM »

Woody, I also think Clay is unique and shouldn't model himself after any else.  I like many different comic actors, and each of them is different in their own way.  If this is something Clay wants to do in the future, I hope he finds his own comic abilities within himself.

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:24:34 AM »

CLAY IS NATURALLY FUNNY.  HE CRACKS ME UP.  BUT CLAY IS CLAY AND THAT IS THE WAY HE SHOULD BE.  TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN SHOW BUSINESS, YOU HAVE TO BE UNIQUE.  CLAY IS UNIQUE AND THAT IS WHAT DREW ME TO HIM.  EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM IS UNIQUE.  HE DOESN'T FIT INTO ANYONE'S BOX AND THAT IS THE WAY HE SHOULD STAY. 

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »

Micki and GWENN,
I agree with you both.      I think Clay's "funny side" is so refreshing!!!!   
Woodstock

ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »

Well, in my own opinion, as with what had already been said, Clay should continue to be the way he has always been and that's apply himself differently in any situation. As far as comedy goes, anyone who has ever watched him on a talk-show or in a concert between songs knows comedy plays a part in his on-stage demeanor. I like Clay's comedy approach because it's so rare to see a pop artist being comedic...they usually take themselves AND their image way too seriously and they become brooding figures instead of pop singers. I am a fan of all sorts of comedy so i've never had any certain style cause me to roll my eyes but then bigsmile having said that i have to retract what i just said because i do get annoyed at bathroom humor quite a bit...sometimes referred to as "sophomore humor" by movie critics...which includes the kind of movies starring the likes of Jim Carey or Adam Sandler. I think Clay would best be suited in skits using the dry comedy of Bob Newhart or Jack Benny...or sophisticated verbose comedy where he trades lines with another person. I can't picture Clay doing the sort of physical comedy made famous by Dick Van Dyke or Carol Burnett or Lucille Ball but who knows Don't Know

I agree about the dead-pad approach which is what Bob Newhart and Jack Benny are famous for as well as Leslie Nielsen...comedians who appear "serious" in spite of all the craziness that is going on around them which makes the one being the dead-pan seem even funnier.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:32:31 AM »

What a great topic Woody!

I cracked up when quynn mentioned in CMass the other night something I said several years ago - Clay as a catfish in an animated feature - that would be so much fun!  Not just the whole cat/water/fish thing, but because I can imagine a character that is sort of a laid back, suthern accented, dispensing wisdom in a sarcastic but loving way.  I don't know....maybe Professor Catfish or something.  Laughing

He can do geeky.  He can do slapstick - "power of Weezie" anyone?  He can sing and dance at the same time, evidently.     And, his comedic timing is quite impeccable so far.  He can also do dry humor, goofy, snarktastic and, and, and......

Clay can do anything....and I hope he does it all!

PS - I love Jack Black. 
franniek54
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

Clay as a catfish!    Yes!    I can see it.  Pretty funny concept Pamela.  Now somebody just needs to write a show around it.  Sounds like a job for Kris.  Something ala "Finding Nemo"?

It really does bring to mind Mr. Limpet for me tho, with the glasses and all.  I suppose half of you don't even know who he is.

quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »

Interesting topic Frannie, and a thank you to Woodie for making it a round table discussion.

I've been having fun speculating about the comedic scenarios possible for Clay.  Who knows what will come his way and what he desires to do in this genre.  If he does eventually venture down this road I know he will approach it like he has everything else in his career, with the determination to achieve the highest possible result.

During the 2006 Christmas Tour, Clay reminded me a bit of Jeff Foxworthy.  Although Jeff doesn't interact with his audience so much when he's doing his stand up act, the humor and timing had the same flavor....making fun of his small town roots...the fancy Eyetalian words...reminding the audience that he's just not that "classy"...poking fun a Jessie for being a Yankee and not understanding what "git er done" means...the Krippa references, etc.

I love Clay and Kimmel together.  Remember "Aiken and The Bacon" singing "Reunited", Guillermo's mustache skit, the horse and the easy comedic rapport between them.  It's awesome to me, that as a comedic talk show host, Jimmy recognized Clay's potential and created "The Climmel."  It has served both of them very well.  Jimmy scored kudos from the Clay Nation and Clay won points with some NJU's.  Contrast that to Clay's appearances on Leno in which Jay never wanted Clay to be funnier than he was. 

CLAY IS UNIQUE AND THAT IS WHAT DREW ME TO HIM.  EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM IS UNIQUE.  HE DOESN'T FIT INTO ANYONE'S BOX AND THAT IS THE WAY HE SHOULD STAY. 

I've had the privilege of seeing Clay in Spamalot, and he is definitely very capable of performing physical comedy and creating characters using accents, facial expressions, body gestures, perfect timing and the occasional ad libbed line.  I love the way Clay is using his "uniqueness"  to breathe life into Sir Robin and the other characters he's playing and agree with Pamela that Clay can do "anything."

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
franniek54
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »

I have confidence that Clay can do anything comedic.  Looking back at what he has done so far on tv and in Spamalot and from SRHP tour it seemed like he had a penchant for the more in your face kinda humor, but his sarcasm is very subtle at times and I'm sure he could do a Bob Newhart/Jack Nicholson/Steve Carrell kinda humor too.

Going back to the catfish thing....I see a resemblence to both Limpet and Don Knotts.  Whadda ya think?  (This is said with both love and respect.  Don't get mad at me.)

ILClaymate
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »

Laugh  Nice illustrations, Fran!  He sure is a chameleon as well as very witty especially in regards to comedic timing.  I would love to see him land a comedy role either on the big screen or on a sitcom.

Great topic and discussion, y'all! 
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »

Going back to the catfish thing....I see a resemblance to both Limpet and Don Knotts.  Whadda ya think?

Laugh  Yep, I see it!

Clay's "Brother Maynard" in Spam reminded me of Jerry Lewis.  Let me know what you think when you get to see it, Frannie.

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
franniek54
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:37:21 PM »

I'll bet he can do great impressions and a variety of voices.  I imagine him doing imitations of his teachers alot for the other kids in school.
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »

I've enjoyed reading all of your comments....and Frannie...your pictures cracked me up.   lmao  But I agree with you!!!   Laughing

I think Spamalot will be a springboard for many comedic possibilities for Clay.  And I SURE hope SNL will be one of them.   Wink

GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »

JILL, YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT JEFF FOXWORTHY.  I ALSO THOUGHT THAT DURING THE JNT06 AND THIS PAST SUMMER.  THEIR TIMING IS SO MUCH ALIKE.  I THINK JEFF SAW THAT ON FIFTH GRADER AS WELL.  I LOVE THAT KIND OF HUMOR.

I DO REMEMBER THE WHOLE  CATFISH DISCUSSION.   lmao Super Happy!!! ROFLMAO 

BUT I DON'T SEE DON KNOTTS AT ALL.  JUST ME.  CLAY IS TOO HOT.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

I think part of what makes Clay so funny is that it comes naturally to him.  He doesn't have to try - he's just FUNNY.  It's part of who he is.

And he does great with scripted stuff too.

I STILL watch the candy heart song bit from Kimmel and LMAO.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

Great discussion!  Clapping I love hearing what everyone had to say,  bigsmile and I too think Clay should just be Clay, he's so naturally funny, I wouldn't want him to model himself after anyone else, he and his comedic timing are one of a kind.  bigsmile
I personally don't laugh easily, so many times I'll be watching a comedy or whatever, and I know it's supposed to be funny, but to me, it's just not,  Paranoid and my personal test of if someone is funny, is if they can really make me lmao , and Clay always does.  blush
That's such a wonderful quality to me, to have that natural silliness, and only Clay and my mom have ever made me really belly laugh, so that's a quality I'll be looking for in my future husband one day for sure.  Wink
~Kelly~

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx