gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:32:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 414
Total: 414

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cellcert 7/21/07 :: On the lawn in Columbus!  (Read 23076 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2007, 08:11:11 PM »

Ethel gave Clay a lime green tshirt that said "Yes, I'm Clay" just like hers that says 'Yes I'm Ethel."  Evidently it was very large, which is why he commented 'how much weight do you think I've gained?!?'   She is who he was talking about when he said she was his stalker, that followed the bus, etc.  He sang lots in his lower register and danced his butt off in the classics medley..... he seemed to have lots of fun again tonight!

Security is trying to get people to move down and Jerome just said it would be 5 or 6 minutes if I heard that right. Not sure if that means how long it will take for Clay to come out or to go through the line. Literally hundreds of people in line. Estimates are from 300-600 folks. Security said about 8,000 maybe more were in attendance tonight. He said that was a really big deal to draw that many people.

Venue near the Ohio State University. Ohio State Univeristy draws 8,000 people for their marching bands every August. It's a big deal that Clay can draw that many people.

They are lining people up for Clay to come out and the line goes from one parking lot to another parking lot and up to the building. Tons of people are in line!CV Buscert reports that the bus line is several blocks long.

CV Buscert reports that they are driving a car down to the end of the line because it's so many blocks long. The cellcerter can't see the beginning or the end of the line. She thinks they'll start near the bus and he'll work his way to the end and then drive back to the bus.

And he's coming now and walking the line........lots of screams.....

ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2007, 10:40:05 PM »

Good early morning everyone!! I got home around 12:30...and skimmed the cell-cert briefly to refresh my memory even though i was writing notes down off and on. The trip up to the concert took a shorter time than i had anticipated. My sister and i first stopped at a local fuel station...while there, we witnessed a hit and run. Someone had pulled into First Stop and hit a car but sped off. Someone selling vegetables along the side of the road wrote down the driver's license plate number. So, after that bit of out of the ordinary shenanigans was over with, we both headed up to Columbus around 4:30. We arrived at the venue around 5:20 and there was a very long line...long lines at each gate entrance.

While standing in line, someone said that people who "table seats" could just walk right on in. So, my sister and i and a couple of others left the long line...but as you could guess, we were told something different so we had to go back to end of the very long line. Well, we get mid-way through the line again and the gates finally open at 6 or a little after. People who didn't have table seats were armed with chairs and blankets and other things...when the gates were opened some fans literally ran through the gate to find a spot to sit at since everything was first come first serve.

My sister wanted me to allow her to go get a sweater...she said it would probably be cold later that night. I wasn't cold at all but about 9:30 she started to have "chills" like she was cold. Well, at this venue and i'm sure it's this way at others, once you exit the concert area you aren't allowed to go back to your seat if you left something in your car. So, she didn't have her sweater OR cigarettes from the moment we got out of my silver Prizm at 5:35 until we got back into the car a little after 11pm.

I loved the concert and as you all know, i met up with Lora and Lindsay...plus a few others sat at our table who i wasn't familiar with. I knew Lora's travelling group as i call it...Lora, Karen, and Juli...then i believe there was another Karen there and someone named Sara...Anita, the woman who i think arranged the group sale of tickets, plus myself and my sister...i can't recall the names. Had i knew table seaters could arrive later, i would have...but i wanted to be up there in that area before it really got busy so it wasn't any bother to me. You could hardly turn around in the table section...they had waiters and waitresses carrying food on trays delivering to selected tables who i assume paid for that additional service.

I wasn't sure how the concert would go...i read the Pops Program they handed out and knew there would be two sets and an intermission...but i was thinking the Symphony would play solo numbers for awhile as a warm-up act for Clay but i was surprised that he strolled out on stage and remained there throughout most of the night...he only left the stage when he had his back-up singers singing solo songs and during the intermission. I liked the overall flow of the concert and the jokes and the bantering with the audience. I read the cell-cert...well, some of it, and Pamela and others had mentioned Ethel and the shirt...Clay was making remarks that he could use the shirt to cover his car it was so big. He also poked fun at the men and gave his reasons as to why we were there and he singled out an older man way in the back and made a joke about something to which the man in the back replied: "i'm old".

The concert was ballad heavy BUT there were more up-tempo songs on the second set. He took a break at 9:15 and let the back-up singer do a song...then came intermission...he was back on stage at 9:30. I enjoyed the TV theme songs...my sister knew the names of most of them. Some of them i never knew...my sister, as Lindsay and a few others can attest to, was actually standing up clapping and singing along to some of the '80s songs Clay was singing. I stood for a little while but sat back down as my legs started giving out and watch the monitor/jumbotron. I ate some food and drank a sno cone and i'm drinking on Cola pop right now. There was a table of men behind us...i saw Pamela's remark, i think, at the cell-cert making reference to the table of guys who were there. I don't know who they were...but they had sparklers lit up often...swaying to the songs...they each had matching this and that. I loved the vocal performances and liked hearing "Lover All Alone" in person AND i liked hearing "Measure of a Man" again.

I didn't take my digital camera in for fear it would be taken away...i didn't take my cell-phone in, either. I had my sister bring in her digital camera and she snapped some pictures before the concert actually started. I am hoping the pictures she took turned out. Yes! I didn't buy any souvenirs because they costed a bit too much. $20.00 for a t-shirt and $30.00 if you wanted a size larger than large. Off and on throughout the concert he made remarks about his fans and the travelling they do and also brought up the airplane incident and Kelly Ripa. He made some joke about Kelly Clarkson, i think, but he said it too fast for me and i didn't catch most of it.

All in all it was yet another great concert AND the turn-out was bigger than expected...even Clay, i think only half-joking, remarked that the audience was bigger than he expected. If you were to look around the area where i was sitting all you could see was people...people everywhere...sitting at tables and sitting on chairs they brought from home and some sitting on the ground on a blanket. So it was a big crowd!!

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2007, 05:25:10 AM »

Jerry - Good morning and I had to read each and every word of your review.  Thanks my friend.  Sounds like you had a great Claying and yes he does give the audience a great concert.  I am looking forward to my own Claying and get the real deal.  Glad it all went well for you.

Hugs
Rainey
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2007, 06:36:14 AM »

Jerry, that was a great recap!  So glad you had fun.

Now, I wanna know, isn't anyone spilling the beans about those arms and legs?  I had to edit my signature line to "keeper of those UN-furry, freckled arms.  It nearly killed me!   Laughing 

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2007, 06:47:19 AM »

Aiken's appearance thrills female crowd
Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:59 AM
By Lynn Green

"You don't even care what you're screaming at, do you?" Clay Aiken teasingly asked the squealing women scattered across the lawn of Chemical Abstracts Service last night.

"I could say anything." He paused. "Carburetor." Women whistled and cheered.

Aiken, the American Idol runner-up turned adult-pop star, headlined the Columbus Symphony Orchestra's Picnic with the Pops program last night.

His audience is mostly women; his singing is polished, and his attitude is upbeat. He exudes sincerity and earnestness, but, like so many pop singers, he lacks compelling originality.

Aiken specializes in adult-contemporary ballads as well as covers of hit soft-rock songs from the 1980s.

His current tour also features medleys of 1970s and '80s television themes and of "fast songs you can do with an orchestra," the latter of which included such silly gems as Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back, Usher's Yeah, and Kenny Chesney's She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy.

He also led a singalong of Michael Jackson's The Way You Make Me Feel, asking for help with the words (which were handed out in advance).

One of Aiken's endearing traits is his gently self-depreciating humor.

"We have more gentlemen in the audience than we usually have," he observed. "Either the women in Columbus are strong-willed, or the alcohol tab is very high for the men here."

Backup singers Angela Fisher and Quiana Parler, both accomplished musicians in their own right, made strong impressions with solo numbers. Fisher got a huge cheer for Listen from the movie Dreamgirls, while Parler ended the first half of the program with a stirring performance of Faith Hill's When the Lights Go Down.

The Columbus Symphony Orchestra, unfortunately, seemed to be a minor player. The orchestral arrangements might or might not have been good, but they were drowned out in the front section of seating.

Aiken's strongest moment was his performance of Lover All Alone, for which he wrote the lyrics.

Columbus Dispatch
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »

Jerry, thanks for taking notes - love all the details!

From what Jerry said, and other concert-goers, and the cellcerters, Clay thrilled more than just the females in the crowd.  Smile

What strikes me most about this show, considering I haven't actually seen it yet, is that it shows Clay's versatility.  From

hip-hop to country to soul to pop - he can do much more than just sing ballads and soft rock songs form the 80s. 

My Dad thinks Clay should do a country album - that "sincerity and earnestness" and the wistful quality he so often displays

in his voice would lend itself well to the country genre. 
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2007, 06:56:39 AM »

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »

Well, the Fat Lady Sang...

NOT!!!!

I attended last nights Pops In Park, which I might add, was a very classy set up. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

To start off, as you can see in the pictures, he was HOT. I personally thought he looked fantastic, for a guy traveling from venue to venue, and this being a stop after 4 others, in a row.

Now- some of you know that I haven't been "swoonin" over Clay of recent. Nothing to do with his looks, but the material being produced. I never was all that much into "sappy ballads" as they have been sometimes referred to, and I really don't feel some of the songs are "sappy" he has chosen, but just "Ballads". But it IS what Clay can do fantastically, and why the heck not sing them. I listened and listened intently. He sang them quite well.

My main concern for Clay as a fan, is his voice. IT is his bread and butter, not his "self effacing humor", not his "Quick wit" and not his "stylish clothing"...or NOT stylish, depending where you see him, but his voice and I assure you-

There was NOTHING wrong it last night.

As the night went on, it grew cooler, and more damp. He did a few times, look, on the screen when the camera was right on him  (Thank God for screens!) that he seemed to have some "pained looks" after reaching a note, more like a quick -Darn, that hurt some- but never missed  a note...may have changed up the entry point of the word in a song to swallow harder, or may have changed the note, period, but was always in tune and on the money. Fo Shizzle!!!

He really did a nice job throughout the entire show. Not too much banter, but the crowd was quite large and very spread out and well diversified, that I link the banter could have been lost on some..SOME, I said, because most of what he said went along with the flow, and trust me, even if you aren't Clay fan but know one, chances are, they knew about the RipaGate and Footgate, as he referred to in his "Crowd discussion".

As mentioned, Ethel got her few minutes...and yes, the shirt was VERY large and as Jerry said, he mentioned he could cover his car with it. He mentioned the fan letter and a few of the comments made but didn't elaborate much...just a few Highlights from it.

The Columbus Symphony did a very good job on the numbers. Lover All Alone was beautiful, as was Measure of a Man. I personally liked "Everything I Have"...the notes from low to high...nice!

When he went into the crowd for TWYMMF, it was dark out, and the spotlight had to follow him...and I have to say- the "rush" of Lord He Is Hot...entered my thoughts there.. The spotlight and natural Clay, entertainer movements, guiding A&Q though and the camera - Nice. Something about it...Just Clay and a Light...

As mentioned, what a crowd! Really, a sea of people. Now, you have to understand that the tables we were at were in front of the stage, they were first, no lawn seating there and the tables were large and round. That takes up a lot of space, but they were full and the lawn seating was quite full....so I would say, he has to appreciate the turn out in Columbus and will be back and THAT'S a good thing!!

Angela and Quiana were absolutely marvelous, in my opinion. They both received standing O's from part of the crowd, at least in front, but I was most impressed with Angela. A great song and not easy to sing and  she, too, was on the money last night!

So overall, great night! We didn't arrive too early to the venue...we ate with our tiny group at Applebees before hand, and got there around 7:30, so we were unable to "visit" much with anyone, but did "see and wave" to a lot. Jerry looked wonderful, and Lindsay is just a knock out! I was glad to meet Jerry's sister, Misty, and she seemed to enjoy herself, but as Jerry said- he should have let her get her sweater...it got a little cool and needed "bare arms" covered to be really comfortable!

Another memory made last night for me and I hope he can can continue to make memories of his own..I look forward to his next CD.

Lora

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »

AC and Lora,

Great reviews from you both and thanks for all the details!!  I'm so glad you had a great time and that the outdoor venue worked out well.  I hope you have some pictures for us, too.

Clandy, Pamela or ??

I want to try to listen to the Michigan concert coming up, so I hope someone will tell me how to call in.

Thanks,
Hugs,
Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »

Well with the super possessive security at the concert...my sister and i were both reluctant to even be seen with a camera...but as i was saying she brought hers in and snapped this picture of Lindsay and myself...it was a hurry-up kind of picture because of my raging paranoia about the camera policy...

To give you a small sample of the crowd...my sister snapped this picture...this is before the majority of the table crowd arrived. Some tables, as mentioned, were catered...so there were wine glasses and things already in place on some tables...

As you learned from Lora's post, she arrived later...so there was no time to really talk because everyone was busy doing their own thing...my sister snapped this picture during intermission, i think, as a random crowd shot but the reason i'm posting it is because it shows a sideview of Lora on her cell-phone...

The stage is what Lora and her friend are looking at...the "jumbotron" thing was off to the right of the stage.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »

Thanks Jerry, for the back of the head shot!!

I hope those that called in got to hear pretty well. I had not called into one myself, yet but I have received a cellcert from hubby at other concerts and I know the sound isn't usually too good.

I am not sure if Pamela was getting info from our cellcert or another place but she was very accurate in her reporting!

Glad to have provided what I could for those that could hear.

Edited to add a HUGE THANK YOU to Lindsay! She made some really great lanyards and laminated Clay "passes" for the show. I appreciate the hard work and effort you put into that Lindsay! I will always have that to add to the memory of the night!

And no- no pictures taken by our group anyway. I see Jerry did and I am sorry I was not there early enough to spend more time with either Lindsay or Jerry.

Lora
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »

Thud! That's all I can say.

Really, I've never been someone who retains a lot from concerts. Clay sounded great and was hysterical. We went to the bus after the concert. I'm constantly amazed at how well the fans listen when it comes to these post-concert handshakes. I've never seen a single-file line form so effortlessly. Laughing Although I can only speak for where we were in the line, everyone was very well behaved. After Clay came through, no one rushed after him or followed behind closely; they just went on their way.

It was great to see Lora again, and meet Jerry for the first time. I wish I'd had more time to spend with them, but I'm sure there will be other concerts! Wink I was also able to put faces with screen names for a lot of people.

I have some video, but I'm not sure it's really worth uploading. The quality and sound are great, but I was just too far away. Being approximately 20 rows back didn't give me a lot of wiggle room around heads and people walking. I was able to zoom in VERY well ... just too many people milling around and moving heads.

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »

Jerry, I loved your recap!!  You are always sooooooooooooooo thorugh~neve missing much detail.  It's great that you got to sit with some of the other "Maniacs!"  I would love to see a picture of your sister too.  It is so nice to hear that you loved the concert!!

Thanks, Lora and Lindsay!

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »

Lora & Lindsay - had to stop back and read your reviews of your Claying.  God I can feel such excitement in both of your reviews even after hours of the concert being over.  I hope Clay leaves me the same way he left you guys.  Thanks a bunch.

Hugs
Rainey
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2007, 06:34:50 PM »

Thanks for your perspectives Lora and Lindsay!   It seems the set up of this show was a little different, but it didn't affect anyone's enjoyment of the show.  Glad to hear Clay was in good voice; all the other cellcerters reported the same thing, and Lora, the sound on the cellcert was surprisingly good!  Thank you once again!

Here's something interesting.  See that Columbus Dispatch review up above?  Seems the writer has re-written the end of her review.  Smile  It now reads as follows.

Aiken thrills mostly female crowd
Sunday,  July 22, 2007 4:39 PM
BY LYNN GREEN
FOR THE DISPATCH

“You don’t even care what you’re screaming at, do you?” Clay Aiken teasingly asked the squealing women scattered across the lawn of Chemical Abstracts Service last night.  “I could say anything.” He paused. “Carburetor.”   Women whistled and cheered excitedly.

Aiken, the American Idol runner-up turned adult-pop star, headlined the Columbus Symphony Orchestra’s Picnic with the Pops program last night.

His audience is mostly women; his singing is polished, and his attitude is upbeat. Every moment of his performance is safe and stylized. He exudes sincerity and earnestness, but, like so many pop singers, he lacks compelling originality.

Aiken specializes in adult-contemporary ballads as well as covers of hit soft-rock songs from the 1980s.

His current tour also features medleys of 1970s and ’80s television themes and of “ fast songs you can do with an orchestra,” the latter of which included such silly gems as Sir Mix-A-Lot’s Baby Got Back, Usher’s Yeah, and Kenny Chesney’s She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy.

He also led a singalong of Michael Jackson’s The Way You Make Me Feel, winding among the tables and asking for help with the words (which were handed out in advance).

One of Aiken’s endearing traits is his gently self-depreciating humor.  “We have more gentlemen in the audience than we usually have,” he observed. “Either the women in Columbus are strong-willed, or the alcohol tab is very high for the men here.”

Backup singers Angela Fisher and Quiana Parler, both accomplished musicians in their own right, made strong impressions with solo numbers. Fisher got a huge cheer for Listen from the movie Dreamgirls, while Parler ended the first half of the program with a stirring performance of Faith Hill’s When the Lights Go Down.

The Columbus Symphony Orchestra, unfortunately, seemed to be a minor player. The orchestral arrangements might or might not have been good, but they were drowned out in the front section of seating. Occasionally the brass or violins would cut through Aiken’s band for a few moments, only to be obscured by the next crescendo.

Aiken’s strongest moment was his performance of Lover All Alone, for which he wrote the lyrics. In spite of jarring intonation problems from his guitarist, he loosened his grip on the polished, practiced stage manner and truly connected with his own soul.

And for those few minutes, the squealing fans, the strong-willed women, the devoted husbands and the rest of the audience fell absolutely silent in appreciation.

Columbus Dispatch
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »

And for those few minutes, the squealing fans, the strong-willed women, the devoted husbands and the rest of the audience fell absolutely silent in appreciation

This is brilliant!

Clapping Clapping Clapping

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2007, 07:30:51 PM »

Clapping  Great reviews! And - Lora - your phone call was really great - I have dialed in to a couple of cell certs, but have never been able to understand what Clay was saying when he talked until last night - I thought you must have been sitting pretty close to the stage! Thank you again.

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2007, 07:41:57 AM »

And for those few minutes, the squealing fans, the strong-willed women, the devoted husbands and the rest of the audience fell absolutely silent in appreciation

This is brilliant!

Clapping Clapping Clapping

It was like something i'd never experienced...it's like the old cliche "a hush filled the room". Well, when he started into LOVER ALL ALONE, there was a universal hush that filled the grounds.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx