gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 334
Total: 334

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 88 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DANCING WITH THE STARS  (Read 267672 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:49 AM »

Here's an article that mentioned a couple of things I really noticed, too:  bigsmile

Samantha says Emmitt has inspired many football fans through his performances, and it’s been an emotional journey for the partnership of Emmitt & Cheryl. Cue retrospective. Cheryl thought she would have a lot of trouble teaching such a big guy to dance. She would have never thought he could dance as well as he has. Emmitt just wanted to show her he could do it and wanted to learn more than anything. They’ve become friends and are like brother and sister now. Cheryl thanks Emmitt for all the advice he gave her, and Emmitt thanks her for pushing him and believing in him. He says he loves her as Cheryl cries.

Yep, I confess to having leaky eyes when that happened.  blush

Mario is very gracious but Karina looks less than excited. She says Mario is her true champion, and the best man for her on the competition. Mario thanks her for her hard work and dedication to him.
She looked "mad" to me.  shrug

What a great season! I hate to see it end
I agree!

Read the rest:
RNO

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:26 AM »

I WAS A MARIO FAN BECAUSE I DO THINK HE IS THE BETTER DANCER.  BUT EMMITT IKS SO SWEET.  IT DID REMIND ME OF CLAY AND RUBEN.  SECOND PLACE ISN'T A BAD PLACE TO BE.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
geraldine
UltimateFan

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2006, 05:45:22 AM »

I AGREE WITH GWEEN.  I WAS A FAN OF MARIO TOO.  HE HAS COME A LONG WAY IN HIS CAREER, NOW HE CAN ADD DANCING TO IT.  I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING AS I WAS WATCHING, IT DID REMIND ME OF CLAY AND RUBEN.  SECOND PLACE IS NOT SO BAD.
EMMETT DID A WONDERFUL JOB OF IMPROVING THE WHOLE SHOW.  I WILL MISS IT UNTIL IT RETUNS.  IT SURE DOES MAKE ONE INSPIRED TO DANCE.

Clay's my Wings of Love!
Proud to be a Claymaniac!
geraldine
clayistheway
Claymaniac

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2006, 06:52:28 AM »

Mario was the best dancer.  He should have won.  Emmitt seems to be a wonderful person, very gracious so I don't feel bad that he won.  But if the voters would have voted for "the best dancer", Mario would have won.  Emmitt was probably the "most improved" dancer but he wasn't "the best".    Mario was #1 -- and should have won.   But, congratulations to Emmitt.

\"When was the last time you looked at a young person with a disability as someone who could help you as opposed to someone who needed help?\" -- Clay Aiken
The amazingly talented, sexy young man who is Clay Aiken!!!!!
ClayHeart
Claymaniac

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2006, 07:48:27 AM »

I had to go to a meeting last night and will probably watch the tape tonight.  I know who won, of course.  Mario was the better dancer, and it appears his routines were more complicated than Emmitt's, and he seems to have more natural ability for dancing, and probably had some dance training in his past.  Emmitt definitely had made the most progress and you can tell he worked his butt off to improve as much as he did.  I was amazed at the progress he made over the weeks.  The judges mentioned more than once that it was technique and performance, and Emmitt was definitely entertaining.  I would have been happy with whoever won.  They both should be proud.
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »

Smith's victory proves ‘Dancing's’ charm
Mario Lopez was a ringer, yet football player still bested him

COMMENTARY By Linda Holmes MSNBC contributor Updated: 10:49 a.m. ET Nov 16, 2006

The obvious way to look at Wednesday night’s finale of ABC’s “Dancing With The Stars” was as a showdown between football fans and “Saved By The Bell” fans. Who’s more devoted: people who watch games every Sunday afternoon, or people who watch bad comedy every Saturday morning? But in reality, the showdown between Mario Lopez and Emmitt Smith was nothing less than a battle for the show’s soul. Or, really, a battle for what would be the show’s soul if it had one. Emmitt’s victory hit the spot.

From the first week, it was obvious that Mario Lopez was a ringer. Even if you hadn’t seen him dance on shows like “Kids, Incorporated” and, yes, on “Saved By The Bell,” you would have known that this was not his first time on the dance floor, the way it was for a lot of the celebrities involved. Paired with the prickly Karina, Mario started to look like that kid in high-school theater who knows he’s going to get the lead and loves nothing more than making everyone else sit through his audition and doubt themselves. No amount of backstage dimple-flashing and trumped-up humility could ever quite wash away the strut. The kid thought it was in the bag.

Emmitt Smith, on the other hand, was exactly the kind of celebrity who can make this ridiculous show weirdly appealing. He wasn’t a clown, like Jerry Springer. He wasn’t an earnest failure, like Sara Evans. He had the rare combination of natural ability and a capacity and willingness to learn how to do something outside his comfort zone.

For all the talk about unscripted shows (this isn’t really “reality” in the “Survivor” sense) capitalizing on humiliating people, that isn’t really what “Dancing” is about when it’s fun. Well, okay, it was fun to see Tucker Carlson humiliated, but that’s because he’s Tucker Carlson, and he comes across like a bit of a windbag, and total ineptitude on the part of an unappealing person is entertaining.

Smith's victory proved show is still satisfyingly nutty
When the show works, it’s because watching someone become good at something they don’t know how to do is satisfying, and watching them discover and develop a natural talent they didn’t know they had is even better. It seems like a lot of credit to give such a fundamentally silly enterprise (“Next up: Jerry Springer performs the paso doble and smashes a prop guitar!”), but it’s quite true: part of the fun is all the learning. The most auspicious thing Emmitt Smith said in the first episode was that he was used to being coached, and it turned out to be true. Emmitt worked hard, and he didn’t complain (much), and sure enough, he kept getting better.

There were endless recaps of the season, in which we saw over and over that Mario nailed basically every dance he was given, only taking real hits when he hammed up dances like the quickstep and the tango and was clipped for breaking the rules. Emmitt, on the other hand, was the purest of underdogs. He started out surprisingly promising, took a stumble or two, kept working, and eventually got to be good.

Friends and family in interviews continued to feed the same dynamic. Emmitt’s friends — including fellow football players Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach — were just amazed to see Emmitt able to dance well. Mario’s friends, including “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria and “Showgirls” and fellow “Saved By The Bell” alum Elizabeth Berkeley, were amazed at Mario’s skill level. In fact, Berkeley thought Mario could make it to Broadway. Nobody was suggesting Emmitt was going to Broadway. They were only suggesting he would be by far the most awe-inspiring dancer in any room full of football players — and in most rooms full of people who weren’t born dancers.

When the two pairs talked about their affection for each other, it became even clearer that Emmitt needed to win. Mario and Karina were so busy being coy about their budding relationship that they barely said anything of substance, and Mario did nothing but flash that oddly blank grin as he talked about his affection for her. Emmitt and Cheryl, on the other hand, talked warmly about their bond. At 37, Emmitt is quite a bit older than 22-year-old two-time champion Cheryl, and he brought her to tears when he thanked her, simply and straightforwardly, for being such a good teacher and such a good friend. Who wouldn’t love that?

In the end, the audience was in control. The judges maneuvered themselves to a tie on Tuesday night, so it was all about the popular vote, and the popular vote crowned Emmitt and Cheryl. In all likelihood, nobody who voted was unaware that in a technical dance-off, Mario would beat Emmitt. Emmitt, however, did what the show asks of its celebrities. He started out not knowing what he was doing, and he learned. And sometimes he looked silly, and sometimes he fell down in practice, but he kept going. Strangely enough, that’s really what the audience is looking for. It’s a popularity contest, and Emmitt probably wouldn’t have won without a great deal of personal charm. But he also won because he had going for him the one thing that rescues this show from being completely stupid: he taught himself something difficult.

A few weeks ago, Emmitt said of his efforts on the show, “A real man tries to do something he thinks he cannot do.” In that sense, he got what he came for, and the show got a surprisingly satisfying ending. Besides, never bet against the football fans.
MSNBC

Clay "is" the "News"
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2006, 07:06:58 PM »

Deanna, thanks for that article, it was great Clapping Clapping Clapping

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »

A new season of Dancing With The Stars is about to begin so I am reviving this thread.

Monday, March 19,  is the first "dance-off."  How will Heather Mills do with her artificial leg?  Who will be the outstanding dancers this season?

I have enjoyed this show in the past and plan to watch again!

Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2007, 10:04:29 AM »

Yeah Prissy!!!!!!  DWTS Purple Banana Purple Banana Purple Banana Can't wait to see Cheryl Burke again this year, can't remember who she's paired with, but I love to watch her!!!!
I really am not that thrilled with Heather Mills being on the show, it will be interesting to see that unfold Paranoid

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »

Huge article in our local TV Times about DWTS Clapping Cheryle and her partner were on the cover bigsmile
I love Cheryl bigsmile

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »

Hi!

I taped DWTS because I had an orchestra rehearsal this evening.  I'm going to watch it now and will post later!

Hugs,
Prissy

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2007, 02:19:25 AM »

I watched the show!  Clapping I think this will be a great season.  I like the idea of having 2 weeks of dancing before the first star is voted off.

I liked the speed skater, Apolo, for the men.

I liked the model, Paulina, for the woman.   

I think they both have great potential.  We will have to wait and see how wrong I am.   lmao lmao

I can't wait to hear what the rest of you think. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
Misha
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2007, 06:38:15 AM »

I found myself charmed by Joey Fatone, John Ratzenburg and Leeza Gibbons.

I will admit that I find it hard to root for anybody who is paired with Cheryl, not because I don't like her, but because I think she has fans herself and its like... all I hear about is...

"Oh I love Cheryl"
"Oh I love watching Cheryl dance"

etc etc.

I guess I have a problem with someone potentially making it to the finals in the competition, not because of what they can do, but because of Cheryl's own fan base.  Does that make sense?  I mean, its not personal... I just think they need to cycle through the "teachers" more so we don't get "too" attached to one teacher every season.  Its kind of like the band on American Idol.  I think they need to be in the background so the singers can shine.  Just my opinion.

ETA:  Oh yeah and that Apollo guy is smokin hot!@!  Yumm...
ClayHeart
Claymaniac

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2007, 08:43:32 AM »

Hello everyone,

I only watched most of the first hour, and then my hubby and I switched to 24.  I'll have to watch the other half from the tape.  Billy Ray Cyrus probably won't be around long.  He sure is cute, but I can't see him improving enough to survive.  I suppose I'm as curious as others to see how Heather does with her artificial leg.  Her hair style didn't seem to suit her, but she has to have some guts to dance these challenging dances on national TV.  Hope you all have a good day.

Debbie
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2007, 12:19:25 PM »

Well Misha, I am one who loves Cheryl, as you can see from my post above yours bigsmile Hard not to like her, and Edyta has been there every season, and she doesn't seem to attract the same attention.
I loved Joey and Kym, she so deserved a good dancer after last year with Jerry Laughing
Billy Ray Cyrus didn't look like he was even enjoying himself last night, doesn't even seem to care, and can't figure out why he wanted to do this Don't Know unless the attitude changes, and the dancing of course  eek!  he won't be around long.
Heather Mills~~~  I don't like her, nothing can make me, she got nasty with an icon, and that's a no no IMHO. Glad they made it clear she shouldn't be getting sympathy votes, just judged on her dancing ability like everyone else Clapping
Apolo Ohno, needs to lose the bandana, found it distracting, I really didn't care for him, but great pairing for him with the youngest ever female, whatever her name was????
No real clear cut favorites so far, but it will be fun!!!

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2007, 02:19:04 PM »

Hi!

I watched the show on tape but skimmed through a lot of the practice session parts.  I feel like I know some of the professional dancers now better than the "star" partners. 

Billy Ray Cyrus looked to me, also, as if he wasn't really trying.  I think he should be the first to go.  The older guy from Cheers actually did pretty well.  I don't have any clear cut favorites, but I do like the professional dancers, Cheryl and, I believe Mack, is his name;  very  Thud! good looking dancer.  Did he have a pony tail last time?? scratch

I'm not sure how I feel about Heather Mills.  I was worried that her leg would come off or she would fall! eek!

Should be an interesting season!

Hugs,
Prissy

Misha
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »

Well Misha, I am one who loves Cheryl, as you can see from my post above yours bigsmile Hard not to like her, and Edyta has been there every season, and she doesn't seem to attract the same attention.

Well see, I like Cheryl too.  Her dancing is awesome.  I'm not frustrated with that.  I'm frustrated with some of the ladies at work who seem to support Cheryl no matter who she's with.  That bothers me.  Ian shouldn't get votes JUST because he's with Cheryl.

I think we need to be careful not to vote for the professional dancers.... Thats my only point.
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »

I'm not big into what's going on with Heather Mills in her divorce. In my opinion she did a great job. With an artificial limb, it certainly isn't as easy to know what her legs are going to do. I wouldn't give her a vote based on sympathy, but I do think she did better than some of the others.

Billy Ray was horrible.

John was great considering he only had 2 weeks to learn his routine. Next week we'll see how he does when he has the same amount of training time.

Joey was my favorite and not just because I am a huge *NSync fan. He worked it! Almost lost his mic pack and didn't miss a beat! Clapping

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:25 PM »

Well see, I like Cheryl too.  Her dancing is awesome.  I'm not frustrated with that.  I'm frustrated with some of the ladies at work who seem to support Cheryl no matter who she's with.  That bothers me.  Ian shouldn't get votes JUST because he's with Cheryl.

I think we need to be careful not to vote for the professional dancers.... Thats my only point.

Agreed Misha, but they sure make some of the stars look very good, and I can see how it can happen.

geraldine
UltimateFan

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2007, 08:02:51 AM »

I JUST FOUND THIS THREAD.  GLAD I DID!  I LOVE THIS SHOW.  I WISH THEY WOULD INVITE CLAY TO BE ON THERE SOMTIME, I THINK HE WOULD DO WELL.

WAITNG TO SEE WHO GOES HOME MONDAY NIGHT.
JUDGING BY HIS PERFORMANCE, BILLY RAY WILL MOST LIKELY VOTED OFF.

I HAVE WATCHED IT EACH SEASON AND IT DOESN''T SEEM AS EASY AS THEY MAKE IT LOOK.  I THINK JOEY WILL SO WELL WITH HIS AWESOME INSTRUCTOR.

WE SHALL SEE WHAT MONDAY BRINGS.

Clay's my Wings of Love!
Proud to be a Claymaniac!
geraldine
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 88 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx