gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 531
Total: 531

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recipe Swap Thread  (Read 64681 times)
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »

Frankie

I think that is the chocolate pie recipe my mother made and her mother made, too!  Love that pie.  I may try it or have Skip!  Wink

Pepe,

I'm glad to see activity on this thread again.  I tasted some wonderful food at some recent gatherings and hope to get some of those recipes, also!

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »

PRISSY, I missed this thread also, I thought it was fun to hear what people were cooking for every day meals and special meals.  I sure hope people notice it is active again and start posting once more.

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »

At the Pond Club Christmas Party/Pot Luck dinner, one lady brought these fabulous cream cheese bars.  She just sent me the recipe, and it looks simple!

Cream Cheese Squares (makes about 35 1-3/4 inch squares)

2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough (keep refrigerated until ready to use)
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1-1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan.  Press one can of crescent roll dough into the bottom of prepared pan.
2.  In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1 cup of the sugar and the vanilla until smooth and creamy.  Spread over crescent roll layer in pan.
3.  Unroll second can of rolls and lay them gently on top of the cream cheese mixture.  Do not press down.  Pour melted butter over entire pan.
4.  In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon.  Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over top of crescent rolls.  Bake 25-30 minutes, or until top is crisp and golden.  Store, covered, in refrigerator.

(There is a blank in front of "cup butter, melted."  I am going to guess that means 1 cup or a stick of butter!)
EDIT:  I changed the butter to 1/2 cup (or 1 stick).

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2008, 06:17:53 AM »

PRISSY, sounds like a great recipe!!!  You talk about calories this recipe has it and that is why it would be so good!!!!!   Laughing  I would think it would be 1/2 cup of butter or 1 stick as I can't imagine a whole cup of butter.  I think I need another refrigerator, mine just does not have enough room to put extra food in when the holidays come.  Will certainly make this recipe as it also sounds very easy.  I love to make sweets but the problem is I don't have anyone but me and hubby to eat them than we either get fatter or I end up throwing it away.  I need the Claymaniacs to live closer to me.!!!!!!

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »

Pepe,

I think you're right!  One stick or 1/2 cup butter!  I may make this to take to the Christmas brunch at JoAnn and Jennie's on Saturday!   All those calories!!  No wonder it was so good!  bigsmile

We actually have a second refrigerator in our laundry room.  We used to have a refrigerator on the patio just outside the kitchen, but we gave it away.  It was a harvest gold side by side refrigerator from Montgomery Ward that I had for more than 30 years.

Now, the side by side refrigerator with an ice and water dispenser in the kitchen just doesn't seem to hold very much.  Especially, the freezer.  So, having the second refrigerator is convenient!

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »

PRISSY, you know what interests me in this recipe is the cinnamon on top.  THat is really interesting and I will have to make it to taste the flavors.  Should be wonderful. 

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »

Hello talented culinary artists!  I have a request.  My company has a pot luck dinner for employees for Christmas.  That means all the employees have to bring all the food.   Smile

Anyway, I was asked to bring a green bean casserole type dish.  I would prefer to do something a little different, rather than the proverbial creamofmushroomsoup recipe.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I like the traditional recipe, but if I could even just jazz it up a bit with some different herbs or seasonings, that would be fun.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2008, 06:01:17 PM »

PAMELA, so good to see you here.     I cook my green beans  in a can of chicken broth for flavor, when the beans are done and the broth is mostly cooked away I add sliced mushrooms which I have sauteed in butter and add sliced almonds I add lots of butter and some Lawry's season salt.  Place in casserole, sprinkle a little parmesean cheese on top.  You can also add some diced pimento on the top for color seeing it is Christmas.   

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »

Pepe,

You know why I laugh when I see something about a green bean casserole! Laughing  Your variations sounds delicious.

Pamela,

Pepe's recipe sounds terrific.   I did find this link to some other variations on the green bean casserole:

GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE VARIATIONS

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »

PRISSY, when Pamela mentioned the Green Bean Casserole I did laugh.  All that worry  you did with those darn green beans!!   Laughing Laughing

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »

Pepe, that does sound GOOD!    I'm definitely going to use your recipe.  I may throw in some random herbs (marjoram, maybe?) just to surprise everyone.

Thanks VERY much!

Prissy, some of those recipes at your link look good too.  I like green beans so I will probably try some of those as well.

PS - I want to hear the green bean story!   Paranoid
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »

All of those green bean recipes sound good!

It seems that here everyone makes green bean bundles this time of year - they are good, and they look festive. To make them, use whole green beans (if nice ones are available in your part of the country in the winter - beans that are small, straight, and uniform in size are best). If you are using fresh green beans, cut off each end, and blanche in salted water. Bundle several together (enough that 1/3 slice bacon will fit around them) and secure the bacon with a toothpick.  Pour a small bottle of French  salad dressing over the bundles, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes (or until the bacon is cooked - adjust time to your oven). You can also place a strip of either red bell pepper or pimento over each bundle beore baking for extra color and flavor.

Variations: instead of the French dressing you can use butter, sliced mushrooms, your favorite seasonings, etc. And you can use canned or frozen green beans (if you can find whole frozen green beans!) The recipe calls for 2 pounds of fresh green beans for a large baking dish.

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »

Frankie,

The green bean bundles sound really good.

Pamela,

Almost every Thanksgiving Skip and I spend the day with friends in East Texas.  Thanksgiving, 2007, I asked our hostess what I could bring, and she said the green bean casserole.  And I had to buy a certain brand of frozen green beans.  I had never made the green bean casserole and could not decide what I should do.  I know it's not that difficult, but I ended up just taking all the ingredients out to their house and she ended up putting it together.  This year, I got to bring my Mandarin orange salad, which I can make in my sleep.  She made the green bean casserole!  bigsmile

So when you asked for a variation on the recipe,  it made Pepe and me both laugh.  Pepe remembers my dilemma! 

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »

Santa wave

We've had our private Christmas with our children and grandchildren this weekend. Daughter Amy brought me this recipe - it is a cake that was served at SIL's party at work, and he loved it so much that Amy called the woman who baked it and got the recipe. I've had a 7-Up Cake recipe for years, but this Coca-cola cake recipe is new to me:

Coca-cola Cake

Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups small marshmallows
1 stick butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coca-cola
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2/ cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting
1/2 stick butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Coca-cola
1 pound (box) powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift sugar and flour. Add marshmallows. In sauceman, mix butter, cocoa, and Coca-cola. Bring to a boil, and pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Disolve baking soda in buttermilk just before adding to batter along with eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well. Pour into a well greased 9 by 13 inch pan and bake 35-45 minutes (depending upon your oven) Remove from oven and frost immediately.

To make frosting, combine butter, cocoa, and Coca-cola in a sucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over confectioner's sugar, blending well. Spread over hot cake. When cool, cut into squares and serve. (I also think it woul be great served hot with vanilla ice cream!)

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FRANKIE I have heard of a cake made with coke but never knew it had marshmellows in it.  Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!  I will try making it about February I think as after I eat all these cookies I am baking for Christmas and the Cherry Cheesecake I am making plus eggnog that I love I think come January I better not put anything sweet in my mouth.  Let me know if you make it!!!!  AMY will have to make it for SIL birthday.  Thanks so much for posting the recipe, you have to be tired!!!!

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »

Pepe - Amy did make the cake - it was the first cake she had made without using cake mix, and she says it is really good. The recipe sounds, to me, like a Mississippi Mud cake, except that it has Coca-cola in it, and this recipe does not include pecans! We already had so many desserts made that we did not make this cake while she was here - but I will try it after this week - too much else going on right now!

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2009, 04:57:01 PM »

The Campbell's Soup Site emails me recipes occasionally.  This slow cooker recipe I received today looks interesting and one I may try!

Campbell's Slow-Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
from Campbell's Kitchen

Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 8 hr.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
2 cups whole baby carrots
2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) Campbell's Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
1 cup water
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 cups all-purpose baking mix
2/3 cup milk

Directions:
Place the chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery into a 6-quart slow cooker.

Stir the soup, water, thyme and black pepper in a small bowl. Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and vegetables.

Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours* or until the chicken is cooked through.

Stir the baking mix and milk in a medium bowl.  Spoon the batter over the chicken mixture. Turn the heat to HIGH.  Tilt the lid to vent and cook for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked in the center.

*Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

Serving Suggestion: Serve with spinach salad; baby spinach leaves topped with orange sections, dried cranberries and raspberry-pecan vinaigrette. For dessert serve wedges of mixed berry pie with whipped topping.

Serves 8.

For a flavorful twist, add one teaspoon of chopped chives to the biscuit mix.

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »

PRISSY,  I will certainly make this.  I have been looking for crock pot recipes since I got my new crock pot.  I use cream of chicken soup a lot even on my beef roasts in the crock pot, it is so good.

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »

Pepe,
The Chicken & Dumplings recipe sounds good.  I like crock pot recipes, too.

Frankie,
I have seen recipes for the coca cola cake, too, but have not made one.  I have made a coca cola jello salad before.

Last evening at the Soul Food Cafe, our supper at church, dessert was a Toll House Pie, which was like a thick chocolate chip cookie in a pie shell. This was absolutely delicious and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Pepe, there is a recipe for the Toll House Pie in the church cook book near the end of the book.

Here is a recipe from Nestle:

NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Chocolate Chip Pie

The sweet, creamy richness of a brown sugar base makes this chocolate chip pie a perfect foil for chopped nuts and whipped or ice cream. 
Estimated Times:
Preparation - 15 min | Cooking - 55 min | Cooling Time - 15 min cooling | Yields - 8

Ingredients:

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell *
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup (6 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts
Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 325° F.

BEAT eggs in large mixer bowl on high speed until foamy. Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in butter. Stir in morsels and nuts. Spoon into pie shell.

BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.

NOTES:
* If using frozen pie shell, use deep-dish style, thawed completely. Bake on baking sheet; increase baking time slightly.

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »

PRISSY that pie looks and sounds great.  The picture of the pie shows they are a bit skimpy with the whipped cream!!!   Laughing  At my house fresh whipped cream would cover the whole top of the pie!      Sounds like an easy recipe also and fast.  I made the sugar cookie they had in the church cookbook and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!!  Anymore crock pot recipes that you have tried and are good let me know.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx