gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 441
Total: 441

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AC Reviews  (Read 259765 times)
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #780 on: September 13, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »

The news of Walker's death was released a couple of days ago...

'Grand Ole Opry' member Charlie Walker dies at age 81

By Nicole Keiper, USA TODAY

Charlie Walker, one of country music's best-loved disc jockeys, a respected purveyor of shuffle-beat honky tonk and 40-year member of the Grand Ole Opry, died this morning in Hendersonville, Tenn. Mr. Walker was 81, and had been diagnosed recently with colon cancer.

Mr. Walker, born in Copeville, Texas, joined the Opry's ranks in 1967, after establishing himself as a vastly respected country DJ with KMAC in San Antonio, starting in 1951. Walker recorded for Decca Records in the mid-'50s, and later earned his first big hit while part of the Columbia Records roster: 1958's "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down", one of the first songs written by Harlan Howard to become a country standard.

Mr. Walker maintained his performing career alongside his radio career, earning several other honky-tonk hits ("Who Will Buy the Wine" and "Wild as a Wildcat" among them) along the way. He similarly maintained his commitment to the Opry, performing there consistently up through this year.

"The Grand Ole Opry family will miss our friend and Opry member, Charlie Walker," Opry vice president and general manager Pete Fisher said in a statement. "We are truly grateful for all of the musical moments he has shared with us on the Opry stage and over the airwaves as a disc jockey. We will dedicate this weekend's Opry shows to his memory."

Mr. Walker is survived by his wife Connie and 10 children: Ronnie, Cindy, Arthur, Charlie III, Elissa, Charlene, Catherine, Christina, Caroline and Charlton; along with 15 grandchildren; three step-grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

USA TODAY

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #781 on: September 13, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

For much of Bizarro's run on the Superfriends various series he was voiced by Bill Callaway, the same voice actor of Aquaman. Callaway only provided the voice of Bizarro in the Challenge of the Superfriends series. It was never actually known who voiced Bizarro during the 1980-1983 era...but in 1985 the character was voiced once by Danny Dark, who had long been known as the voice of Superman on this cartoon series. Dark had started voicing the role of Superman in 1973, making him the first voice actor since Bud Collyer to give voice to Superman. Dark continued in the role until the final episode of the 1985 series Superfriends: Galactic Guardians.

Bizarro's weakness is blue kryptonite and it's often on hand at Superman's Fortress of Solitude. Blue kryptonite has no harmful effect on Superman, as he is the total opposite of Bizarro. In recent times, Bizarro has taken on a Frankenstein Monster depiction...as a misunderstood freak of nature...instead of being written as an all-out villain as he was on Challenge of the Superfriends.

The various shades of kryptonite:

1. Green: This is the most familiar color as it is the substance harmful to Superman; in an episode of Superfriends: Galactic Guardians called appropriately enough "The Death of Superman", Superman is believed to have died of kryptonite poisoning, one of the few episodes of the Superfriends series dealing with a death of one of it's members, the other notable episode is "Superfriends: Rest In Peace" which aired on Challenge of the Superfriends and in that episode all of them 'died' at the hands of Lex Luthor and company via the help of a deadly crystal. In the early years of the character, his weakness was never widely known but as time went on it became perhaps fun that villains new of Superman's weakness because it would result in a lot more action based storylines.

2. Red: This is the second most familiar color of kryptonite and it's one that gets a lot of mileage with writer's imaginations. Red kryptonite is dangerous to Superman depending on it's effect on him. In an episode called "Terror From the Phantom Zone", Superman is exposed to red kryptonite and starts to age rapidly...giving the conclusion that he'll age to death if the effects of the red kryptonite do not wear off soon. In another instance, Superman's exposure to the red kryptonite caused him to grow extra arm's and legs...this was a result of a battle with Bizarro. Still, another side effect of the red kryptonite occurred when he turned into a 7 year old kid, who was nick-named 'Super Brat' by the other Superfriends. In the Superman Three movie, synthetic kryptonite is exposed to Superman, which in turn reacts like red kryptonite, causing Superman to turn evil.

3. Blue: This form of kryptonite is harmful to Bizarro

4. Gold: This form is rarely used in the stories as it is considered very rare. Gold kryptonite exposed on Superman will permanently make him mortal. It was the plot device in the episode "Darkseid's Golden Trap" on Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show

In addition to kryptonite, which consists of deadly radiation formed from fragments of planet Krypton and as a result can become quite lethal to kryptonians, in addition to this, there's another weakness for Superman and it's a non-yellow sun's energy ray's. Some villains have learned that without a yellow energy source, Superman will become weakened...Superman is able to maintain his super strength on all planets that benefit from a yellow sun. If the sun should turn a different color then Superman would lose his powers for however long the sun remains non-yellow. Krypton's sun was red...and red sun radiation can be harmful to Superman as well. So, there are ways of harming Superman. In an episode of Challenge of the Superfriends entitled "History of Doom", as Superman is in space trying to stop a rocket launched by Lex Luthor from causing destruction, Luthor uses a device that changes the color of the sun from yellow to red as a weakened Superman flees off to the Hall of Justice before losing all of his powers. 

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #782 on: September 21, 2008, 09:04:51 AM »

Popeye: 1929-

In a couple of months Popeye will reach 80 years in existence. His debut arrived in 1929 as part of a comic strip called Thimble Theatre and not long after this the comic strip was re-titled to showcase Popeye the Sailor. I won't begin to give a character history...with an 80 year time line it would be too exhausting. The cartoon series is still airing in re-runs...never having left the TV airwaves during the last 48 years. {having made it's debut on TV in 1960 after decades being shown in movie theatres}. Boomerang is the network that currently airs the cartoon series here in Ohio. It is not aired on the big three networks, though, since a lot of the classic cartoons had long since been bought up by Warner Brothers, Hanna-Barbera and Ted Turner and other conglomerate companies and I believe at one point in time Ted Turner owned the Hanna-Barbera library of cartoons but Warner Brothers bought him out and so I think they now officially own all of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon programs in addition to their own library of cartoons...but don't take my word for it...it's only a guess.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #783 on: September 22, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »

Small audience for Primetime Emmys, TV's big night

Mon Sep 22, 10:49 AM PDT

Sunday's Emmy Awards had one of its smallest audiences ever.

It seemed somehow appropriate for an awards show that showered honors upon "Mad Men" and "30 Rock," series with critical acclaim and lousy ratings.

Nielsen Media Research's preliminary estimate was that 12.24 million people watched Sunday's show. If that number holds up when more complete national ratings come in, it will be less than the 2007 and 1990 shows, which were both slightly under 13 million.

The Emmys had some tough competition with a Dallas-Green Bay football game and "60 Minutes" interviews with John McCain and Barack Obama.

Still, it's an ominous sign for TV's new season, which opens Monday.

YAHOO NEWS

I have a theory that if this wasn't a Presidential election year, the ratings for the Emmy awards would've been higher because it's considered alternative programming for non-football fans. However, the "60 Minutes" program plus the Cowboys football game on NBC cut into an extravaganza of Emmy presentations. I also have a theory that the over-population on the TV schedules of reality shows has caused the sharpness in traditional comedy and drama programs to wane in an effort to grab the audience who prefer reality programs, shows that do not need to follow a standard script of beginning/middle/conclusion every episode. Reality shows are strung out for an entire season instead of hour installments...the beginning of a reality show's season consists of early plots...progressing to the middle...finally reaching it's conclusion. If it's a game show inspired program the big prize is given on the last show of the season. If it's a talent show, the winner is crowned on the last show and so on...no neatly crafted scripts of storytelling are needed on those shows...and with so many viewers eschewing traditional TV programs in favor of the reality trend, the TV audience for traditional TV programs is lacking: comedies, drama's, children's programs, and best actor/actress in each of those categories. When there's not much on TV but reality shows getting the huge ratings it pretty much seals the fate of an Emmy Awards show. Also, this theory of course can go out the window in 2009 if the Emmy ratings are higher and it would prove that the candidates for the Presidency in conjunction with Sunday Night Football is what caused the Emmy show to not get the big ratings it expected to achieve each year. Early stats say 12 million+ tuned in...that's a low figure...given the sort of TV event an Emmy telecast is.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #784 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »

In this installment i'm going to give an over-view of "Trial of the Superfriends", an episode of the 1978 cartoon series Challenge of the Superfriends.

The scene opens up with Batman, Robin, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman guarding a top secret element known as Liquid Light. It has the power to melt and dissolve anything in it's path. The Superfriends think that their security has prevented the Legion of Doom from spying on the events taking place but Brainiac uses a scrambler to prevent the Superfriends security devices from detecting their presence. Then, one by one, the four Superfriends are called away from the Liquid Light...first, Wonder Woman exits her post to fight with Cheetah who's seen breaking into the power plant. Cheetah over-powers Wonder Woman and steals her magic lasso.

Moments later, the security camera picks up more activity elsewhere...Green Lantern exits his security post and confronts Brainiac, who's attempting to break in. After a struggle, Brainiac uses another device that causes it to draw in the green energy from Green Lantern's ring. Then, the force of the device pulls the energy ring off of Green Lantern, and Brainiac flees the scene. Lastly, Batman and Robin wonder where Green Lantern and Wonder Woman have vanished to. A flock of crows start swarming the area and Batman figures that Scarecrow is in the vicinity. Scarecrow makes his appearance and engages Batman and Robin in a fight but he manages to steal their utility belts instead.

Wonder Woman emerges, as does Green Lantern...the two of them along with Batman and Robin wonder why the villains took their power devices instead of attempting to heist the liquid light. Then, the flying Hall of Doom hovers overhead and teleports the Superfriends into the Hall of Doom where it's revealed that Lex Luthor is acting as judge in The Trial of the Superfriends. Scarecrow reads off the list of "crimes" that were committed by the four Superfriends...then, Sinestro acts as the prosecutor, informing the "jury" at the Hall of Doom that the four Superfriends are without their power devices because they tried to harm "three of the most distinguished members of the Legion of Doom". After Sinestro makes his case, Grodd, acting as jury leader, reads the "verdict" of guilty as charged. Lex Luthor punishes the Superfriends by transporting the four Superfriends into various places around the world, battling Brainiac's android clones. The only difference between the androids and the Superfriends as Brainiac puts it is "they're wearing your power devices!".

Meanwhile, the rest of the Superfriends at the Hall of Justice wonder what's happened to Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batman, and Robin. This causes Superman to form a small rescue/search party. Superman, Flash, and Black Vulcan head for the power plant. Bizarro and Black Manta have already arrived ahead of time. Caught by surprise, Bizarro releases the vat of Liquid Light...it's up to Superman and the other two to try and stop the destruction. Flash then gets the idea to run in circles at super-sonic speed...creating a geyser effect. The Liquid Light shoots upward into the sky and falls back down to earth as falling stars. Meanwhile, the Superfriends battle their android duplicates...Wonder Woman out-smarts her android clone as does Green Lantern outsmart his. Batman and Robin flee from their doubles in a jungle setting and finally out-smart the androids. Each of them re-claim their power devices and join the others in defeating the Legion of Doom.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #785 on: November 20, 2008, 03:59:38 AM »

BARRY MANILOW'S NEW ALBUM "THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES" RELEASE DATE MOVES UP TO MONDAY, NOVEMBER 24TH

* THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE FIFTIES (#1 DEBUT, 2006)
    * THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE SIXTIES (#2 DEBUT, 2006)
    * THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE SEVENTIES (#4 DEBUT, 2007)

Classics from the '80s - "Islands in the Stream" duet with Reba McEntire, "Never Gonna Give You Up," "Careless Whisper," "I Just Called to Say I Love You," "Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)," "Time After Time," "I've Had the Time of My Life," "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)," AND MORE

(New York - November 17, 2008) Due to popular demand and the Thanksgiving holiday, Grammy, Tony, and Emmy Award-winning Arista recording artist Barry Manilow will be releasing his new album, THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES, in stores a day early on Monday, November 24th on Arista Records.

Barry Manilow is scheduled to debut material from GREATEST SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES live tonight on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, on QVC's QSessions Live at 8pm on November 20th Live from the Las Vegas Hilton, The Today Show on November 28th, 4 consecutive nights of appearances on Entertainment Tonight beginning November 24th, and on December 12th, he will be appearing on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live.

THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES is Manilow's newest addition to the mega-best-selling series of tribute albums that he masterminded with Arista founder Clive Davis. Davis has been Manilow's hitmaking collaborator on virtually all his recordings, since they first worked together on "Mandy," his debut #1 single as the first artist signed to Arista by Davis in 1974, the first year of the label's existence. THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES continues the series that began nearly three years ago with The Greatest Songs Of The Fifties, which was certified RIAA platinum after entering the Billboard 200 at #1 in January 2006 (his first #1 album since Barry Manilow/Live in 1977). The Greatest Songs Of The Sixties (October 2006) entered at #2. When the RIAA platinum The Greatest Songs Of The Seventies entered at #4 (September 2007), he was distinguished as the only artist to chart three Top 5 debuts during 2006-2007.

BARRY MANILOW: THE GREATEST SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES

"Islands in the Stream" duet with Reba McEntire
"Open Arms"
"Never Gonna Give You Up"
"Have I Told You Lately"
"I Just Called to Say I Love You"
"Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)"
"Careless Whisper"
"Right Here Waiting"
"Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)"
"Hard to Say I'm Sorry"
"Time After Time"
"I've Had the Time of My Life"

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #786 on: November 25, 2008, 05:02:24 AM »

Title: Greatest Songs of the Eighties
Artist: Barry Manilow
Year: 2008
Label: Arista

This collection of 1980's songs from Barry Manilow follows the path of his '70s, '60s, and '50s collections in that it creates a mood. Nearly all of the songs are arranged differently than the way they were recorded by the original artists which is usually a must to erase the thoughts of the earlier versions. I sort of "cheated" because I watched Barry sing several of these songs on a TV special but now that I have the CD i like what I hear.

His duet with Reba on "Islands in the Stream" leads off the CD and it's so different than the Kenny and Dolly version I grew up hearing. There are not many up-tempo songs...when you listen to the songs, you begin to think it's the 1980's because Barry's voice has not changed that much since that era in his career. "Careless Whisper" sounds very good as does "Open Arms". One of the songs I think will become a stage-show dance number is "Never Gonna Give You Up".

This decade collection Barry says will be his last. I bet he could do a 1990's collection if he focuses on the songs that were hits on the Adult-Contemporary chart that decade because as we know the songs all over pop/Top-40 radio in the 1990's were mostly all performed by rappers.

I have my favorites among the songs Barry recorded for this collection. My favorites are "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Against All Odds", "I've Had The Time of My Life", "Time After Time", "Arthur's Theme", and "I Just Called To Say I Love You". I liked "Careless Whisper" as well. The duet with Reba was okay as well...but i'm partial to the Kenny and Dolly version. "Arthur's Theme", also known as "The Best That You Can Do", is currently my favorite of the favorites. I like his performance and the melody.

The CD, ironically, doesn't carry a power ballad feel...which is what most people think of when they think of the 1980's. In reality, the only songs on here to reach power ballad level are "Never Gonna Give You Up" with it's 1980's dance feel and "Against All Odds". Barry doesn't yell or holler in these recordings...even though in the original by Phil Collins you hear Phil almost go insane near the end of "Against All Odds". His version of "I've Had The Time of My Life" is sung as a ballad...and the way he re-phrases words in this particular song gives it a personal feel instead of the jumpy, bouncy delivery most are familiar with from the Dirty Dancing movie.  Another song Barry transforms into a ballad is "I Just Called To Say I Love You", made famous by Stevie Wonder.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Jan
UltimateFan

« Reply #787 on: November 25, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »

THANKS FOR THE NEAT REVIEWS JERRY

ALTHOUGH I DO NOT POST MUCH, I ALWAYS READ YOUR REVIEWS.

SPEAKING OF HANK WILLIAMS JR. (WHICH WE WERE;NT)
LAST NIGHT I WAS WATCHING "PURE COUNTRY " ON TV WHEN HANK WILLIAMS CAME ON WITH THE BEST COUNTRY SONG I HAVE WATCHED IN ALONG TIME.
AS BEST AS I REMEMBER IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE "COUNTRY PEOPLE SURVIVE" I THINK THAT IS CLOSE. I LOVED THE SONG AND ESPECIALLY THE VIDEO. I WOULD BUY THAT VID IN A SECOND BUT IT PROBABLY DOES NOT EXIST EXCEPT ON TV. HOWEVER DO YOU KNOW THE SONG AND DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS IN A CD??????
lOVED IT!!!!!!

SURE HOPE YOUR JOB IS OK. AND /OR YOU FIND ANOTHER JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER.

LUV
JAN

PS
I LIKE THE STATION  WITH PURE COUNTRY, NO CROSSOVER, JUST GOOOOOD COUNTRY .

Because of you, I am confident enough to say that there is a better day on the way, even when I cannot see it.
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #788 on: November 26, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »

Hello Jan!! Hank has re-recorded "Country Boy Can Survive" twice. The first time he re-recorded it, it was done as a trio with Chad Brock and George Jones, with partially re-written lyrics devoted to the Y2K paranoia in 1999. Then, in 2001, he re-recorded the song and put a new name on it, "America Can Survive".

The original "Country Boy Can Survive" was a #1 hit for Hank in 1982. The music video of the song was made in 2007, celebrating the song's 25th anniversary. But the song was a monster hit for Hank...one of his signature songs...and you'd be able to find the song on many of the greatest hits albums that have been issued...here's the music video that I came across on You Tube...there's been over 2 million views of the video clip...

YOU TUBE

I knew Hank didn't make a music video for it in 1982...so I did the research and found out he did a music video for it last year and that's the video.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Jan
UltimateFan

« Reply #789 on: November 26, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »

JERRY

WOW, I JUST KNEW YOU WOULD HAVE SOMETHING FOR MEL

NOT VERY FAMILIAR WITH U TUBE BUT I LOVED 'COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE" AND AM GOING OUT TOMORROW AND BUY THE CD. I AM A REAL FAN OF HANK WILLIAMS.
AND FOUND SOME OTHER REAL GOODIES ON THE U TUBE
IS IT POSSIBLE TO COPY A U TUBE ON YOUR COMPUTER SO YOU CAN PLAY IT WHEN EVER YOU WANT???????  NEVER HAVE BEEN A COMPUTER WHIZ.

THANKS FOR THE BARRY INFO.

LUV
JAN

Because of you, I am confident enough to say that there is a better day on the way, even when I cannot see it.
geraldine
UltimateFan

« Reply #790 on: November 28, 2008, 04:13:13 AM »

wave JERRY
I SAW BARRY MANILOW ON ET DOING SNIPETS OF HIS 80'S CD. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED!  HE SOUNDS BETTER THAN EVER. I LOVE ALL OF THE SONGS HE CHOSE FOR THIS CD. DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE RELEASED OR HAS IT ALREADY? THANKS FOR THE COVER PIC AND INFORMATION ON IT.

Clay's my Wings of Love!
Proud to be a Claymaniac!
geraldine
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #791 on: November 29, 2008, 10:12:16 AM »

Yes! The CD of Barry's was issued last Tuesday although some places got the CD on Monday. This coming Thursday I'll see where it debuted on the Billboard 200. The '50s CD debuted at #1, the '60s CD debuted at #2, and the '70s CD debuted at #4. So, the '80s CD should debut in the Top-10 somewhere if it follows this pattern. I don't think the CD will debut in the Top-5...but it's hard to tell...it could debut at #4 like the '70s CD or it could debut at #6 and move upward and peak at #5. Whatever the case, it should have a big opening week. The '80s decade that he spotlighted is a bit of ironic because the radio stations that are called "Oldies" are now playing mostly mid to late '70s and '80s songs and those songs are still familiar to a lot of people. Critics say that the reason the '70s CD debuted at #4 is because the songs are more familiar with audiences because of the 1970's nostalgia, a nostalgia that peaked with the debut and success of That's '70's Show which was a sit-com on TV. There is a cult fan-base for the '70s songs and the '80s songs...and because of this a lot of music buyers don't want to hear Barry doing his versions of those songs. Whenever you hear Barry say the '50s and '60s CD was way more easier is because the songs he picked weren't as familiar to his audience and others in his audience's age group as the '70s and '80s songs are...those are the decades Barry's songs were on the radio. The '70s CD from last year was a success as I'm sure this '80s CD will be...but we'll see what happens this coming Thursday.   

Jan: There is a section at You Tube, once you click on a video, off to the right underneath the You Tube user name there should be a box that has an embed code. If i want the video on my blog site I would click the embed code and copy and paste it on my blog page. Also, if i want to post a URL link on a message board I can simply copy and paste the URL code. I am sure if you right click over a You Tube video you'd be able to save it on your computer? I've never tried because i'm a member there and save whatever video I may want to watch again in my "Favorite" page over there.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
geraldine
UltimateFan

« Reply #792 on: November 30, 2008, 03:37:41 AM »

wave Jerry, thank you for the information on Barry Manillow's cds.

Clay's my Wings of Love!
Proud to be a Claymaniac!
geraldine
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #793 on: February 15, 2009, 04:56:57 AM »

Artist: George Jones
Title: The Best of George Jones
Label: Musicor
Year of Release: 1970

This 10 song collection released by Musicor focused on quite a few legendary hit singles from George Jones. The tempo on the album is ballad heavy with just one up-tempo song added in. The up-tempo offering included here is the sing-a-long "No Blues Is Good News". All of the songs were produced by Harold "Pappy" Daily and glancing over the titles I can see that five of them were Top-10 hits and three more reached the country charts as well. The only singles that didn't make much of a showing are "No Blues Is Good News" and "Developing My Pictures".

The album kicks off with "Your Angel Steps Out of Heaven", a ballad from 1968 about a man who's proud of the woman he's married but is informed by a friend that while the man is at work, the wife cheats on him. "Where Grass Won't Grow" is a semi-tragic ballad about a couple who live on a farm where the dirt and soil isn't fit to grow anything on. The single was a Top-30 hit and the title track of a 1969 album.

"When The Grass Grows Over Me" on the other hand is a spine tingling, hair-raising recording and a lot of that has to do with George's vocalization as he tells the story of a couple who've split up and the man tells the woman he won't get over her in his lifetime. This song is one of the big hits of the album, reaching #2 in 1968...not far behind is "I'll Share My World With You", a #2 hit for him in 1969 and the title track of one of his albums that year. In fact, that particular album featured Tammy Wynette on the album cover although she doesn't appear on it vocally. That particular album contained not only the #2 title track but 1968's #2 "When The Grass Grows Over Me". The album also featured several other songs associated with George: "Milwaukee, Here I Come", which was a duet George recorded with Brenda Carter in 1968 and it was a Top-20 hit. "Heartaches and Hangovers" is another song from the 1969 I'LL SHARE MY WORLD WITH YOU album that gets a lot of coverage on compilation albums.

"If My Heart Had Windows" was a Top-10 single for George in 1968 written by Dallas Frazier and it's a run of the mill love ballad, noted for it's use of internal rhyming in the lines "a thief couldn't steal this love that I feel" and "a tear may appear when I hold you near". The single spawned an album, which included the previously mentioned "Your Angel Steps Out of Heaven" in addition to one of my favorite songs from George that wasn't a single, "Between My House and Town".

Interestingly, his 1968 Dallas Frazier album, SINGS THE SONGS OF DALLAS FRAZIER, was skipped over when Musicor was putting together this "best of" collection. On that particular album you have the Top-10 hit "I Can't Get There From Here" in addition to the celebrated "Honky Tonk Downstairs" and songs with titles like "There Ain't No Grave Deep Enough" and the light hearted "My Baby Left Her Jinglin' John for Foldin' Fred". However, there are several Dallas Frazer songs on this BEST OF album including "Say It's Not You", a terrific Top-10 about a man who confronts his wife about rumors he's been hearing.

The album's closing track, "She's Mine", comes from the 1969 album WHERE GRASS WON'T GROW. That song had been recorded previously by George in 1964 but it wasn't until 1969 that it was a single. It's one of those clever twist songs with a deceptive title. The 1969 album also contained "No Blues Is Good News" which is included on this collection and it also contained the Top-10 single "If Not For You" which for whatever reason wasn't showcased here...instead we have "Developing My Pictures" and "Tell Me My Lying Eyes Are Wrong", which up to that point had never been featured on any albums...so those two songs kind of made their debut on this BEST OF GEORGE JONES release. "Tell Me My Lying Eyes Are Wrong" became a Top-20 hit and it, too, is a song by Dallas Frazier.

Earl Montgomery is credited as the writer of "Developing My Pictures", a song about a man who won't make up his mind about leaving a woman until he's seen evidence with his own eyes of her behavior. Earl also wrote "Where Grass Won't Grow" and is referred to as 'Peanut' when George speaks about him...Earl's name pops up a lot on late '60s and early '70s albums...he also co-wrote several songs with George, too.

The song list...

Your Angel Steps Out of Heaven; 1968
Tell Me My Lying Eyes Are Wrong; 1970
When The Grass Grows Over Me; 1968
I'll Share My World With You; 1969
Developing My Pictures; 1970
If My Heart Had Windows; 1968
Where Grass Won't Grow; 1969
No Blues Is Good News; 1969
Say It's Not You; 1968
She's Mine; 1969

After the release of this album, Musicor continued to release singles on George through 1971. WITH LOVE was released in 1971 and it contained the #2 hit "A Good Year For the Roses" and the Top-20 "I'll Follow You On Up To Our Cloud". His previous album in 1970 WILL YOU VISIT ME ON SUNDAY contained no singles...in spite of it having top-notch material on it. The album's cover is often cited as the reason it wasn't a big selling album. As far as singles...Musicor would issue "Sometimes You Just Can't Win" and "Right Won't Touch a Hand" in both 1970 and 1971 respectively...both reaching the Top-10.

By the end of 1971 George had left Musicor and signed to Epic, the label that was home to his new wife, Tammy Wynette.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #794 on: March 09, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »

Hank Locklin

Grand Ole Opry star Hank Locklin died Sunday (March 8) at his home in Brewton, Ala., at age 91. He is best known for writing and recording the 1958 Top 10 hit, "Send Me the Pillow You Dream On." He had been an Opry member since 1960. The family plans a private funeral and burial service.

Born Lawrence Hankins Locklin in McLellan, Fla., he began playing guitar as a child and was just a teenager when he began performing on radio station WCOA in Pensacola, Fla. A leg injury exempted him from military service during World War II, and he began writing songs and performing in bands around Mobile, Ala. Following the war, he was appearing on the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport and on the Big D Jamboree in Dallas.

He enjoyed his first chart success during a five-year stint on 4 Star Records. His first charted single, "The Same Sweet Girl," reached the Top 10 in 1949, and his first No. 1 single came on 4 Star in 1953 with "Let Me Be the One." It spent three weeks at the top of the country chart.

Later signing to RCA Records, Locklin recorded two Top 10 hits before releasing, "Send Me the Pillow You Dream On," which peaked at No. 5. In 1960, he spent 14 weeks at No. 1 with "Please Help Me, I'm Falling," a song written by Don Robertson and Hal Blair. Locklin continued recording hits through the '60s and remained on the RCA roster through the mid '70s.

"Send Me the Pillow You Dream On" became a country music standard and was recorded by numerous artists, including Dwight Yoakam, Dolly Parton, Dean Martin and others.

Locklin is also credited with being a pioneer in recording concept albums, including "A Tribute to Roy Acuff, King of Country Music" in 1962 and "Irish Songs, Country Style" in 1964. The latter helped lead to his success as a touring artist in England and Ireland during the '70s.

In 2001, Locklin recorded Generations in Song, an album that featured Parton and Vince Gill, among others. He recently released his 65th album, "By the Grace of God", a collection of gospel songs.

CMT

Newscaster/speaker Paul Harvey passed away last week at the age of 90 and I did a tribute to him in one of my blogs.

BLOG SPOT

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #795 on: April 03, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »

Title: All-New Superfriends Hour, Volume Two
Main Voice Cast: Danny Dark, Olan Soule, Casey Kasem, Shannon Farnon, Norman Alden, Michael Bell, Liberty Williams, and William Woodson.
Format: DVD
Year of Release: 2009

Volume Two of this DVD set is just as great as Volume One, released over a year ago. In this new collection we see the remaining episodes missing from Volume One. A random sampling of what you will get when you buy this collection are 8 episodes. The episodes originally ran an hour when broadcast on TV but minus the commercials each episode is roughly 45 to 50 minutes in length. Each episode is broken into four separate segments as well, which is why it's advertised as 32 episodes. The first segment features a team-up between two Superfriends. The second segment features the Wonder Twins on adventures revolving teenage issues/peer pressure. The third segment is the main attraction, a story involving all of the Superfriends and the Wonder Twins. The final segment teams up one of the Superfriends with a guest super-hero. Batman and Robin, since they work as a team, are considered "one" hero in the team-up's.

Batman and Robin along with Superman appear together in the episode "Man-Beast of Xra" where an evil scientist, a woman named Dr Xra, unleashes man-beasts on the city with the help of her nervous accomplice. The professor is voiced by the show's narrator, William Woodson. Xra is voiced by Jean Vanderpyl, who became popular as the voice of Wilma Flintstone.

Aquaman's primary villain, Black Manta, appears in an episode entitled "Water Beast". In the episode, though, he's only referred to as Manta but the character design is clearly based on Black Manta. Aquaman gets a lot of screen time in the PSA segments where safety and health tips are dispensed. He also appears in the magic segment's as well. The rest of the Superfriends rotate with Aquaman in those PSA segments. In one safety segment, Aquaman warns a kid about attempting to roller skate with rusty skates and suggests he have a grown-up oil them. In the episode "Frozen Peril", Aquaman and Superman go on the mission of defrosting the world after an undersea villain, Sculpin, freezes the surface. John Stephenson voices a few characters in this episode including the villain.

The Wonder Twins appear in their own segments and one of them in this collection is frank by 1970's standards...Saturday morning TV standards specifically. I speak of the segment called "Prejudice" where the Wonder Twins tackle the subject when two bikers refuse to help a stranded motorist due to the color of his skin. "Pressure Point" deals with a kid named Jerry who feels insecure and sets about to show how talented he is at motorcycling by attempting to jump a canyon.

"Mummy of Nazca" is a story of an evil scientist who uses a mummy to do his dirty work. The doctor's name is Cooroff, loosely based upon Karloff, as in Boris Karloff, the actor who appeared in the Mummy horror movie 77 years ago in 1932. Henry Corden voices Professor Cooroff. In a rare moment in this series, Superman appears as Clark Kent for a period of time in this episode as he takes the Wonder Twins to the museum. Judging by the script, they didn't know Clark Kent and Superman were the same person.

"Forbidden Power" is a story about an evil scientist who sets off to find the ultimate power...Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman stop him.

"Day of the Rats" features Batman, Robin, and Black Vulcan in Gotham City attempting to clean up the rat's that have littered the city. The rats turned evil because of a mechanism in the sewers. It's one of the few episodes where a main villain wasn't featured...just a bunch of evil rats flooding the city and terrorizing businesses. It was like the film 'The Birds' but with lots and lots of rats. By episode's end, Black Vulcan destroyed the mechanism controlling the rats and they changed back to their normal behavior.

In an episode called "Tiny World of Terror" we have a greedy scientist/inventor who doesn't get co-operation from his colleagues with one of his schemes and he gets his revenge by shrinking them...he soon shrinks the Superfriends as well and they have to over-come their height disadvantage in order to stop the scientist, named Professor Strickland. His partners who he shrunk were Professor Wong and assistant Mary. In a funny scene, the tiny Superfriends encounter all sorts of animals climaxing with Superman hopping on a giant spider and riding it like a bull. In "Tibetan Raiders", Flash guest stars and joins Superman in the Himalaya's to rescue passengers from an airplane that crashed. Flash isn't voiced by Jack Angel, so it was unusual seeing the character with a different voice.

As you can see, a lot of these stories center around an evil scientist or a professor who becomes vigilante-like and sets about to "rid the world of war" or "end all suffering". William Woodson, the show's narrator, often provided the voices for the assistant's and sometimes he was the voice of the main villain. The villains were described as being mis-guided, rather than intentionally harmful.

The methods in which the villainous doctor's carry out their hopes and dreams in the episodes, of course, cross the line into illegal activity and by episode's end they're told how wonderful their wishes and dreams are but breaking the law to achieve their wishes and dreams was still a big no-no. There were rarely any villains, with a few exceptions, that were deliberately evil.

Having said that, one of the villains that was intentionally cruel was Lion-X. He was the leader of the race of lion's that appear in the episode "Lionmen". In this episode, Lion-X uses a special ray device and while taking control of the space station, he beams the ray at Earth. They want to pull the Earth apart and look to be a success pretty much throughout the episode...with Lion-X knowing Superman's weakness: kryptonite. Wonder Woman uses a special voice changer and pretends to be Lion-X...ordering the followers to switch off the ray...the plan almost works until Gleek innocently walks across a monitor and his tail clicks on the camera switch...exposing Wonder Woman's trick.

Rima, Green Lantern, and Apache Chief also make guest appearances. Atom, the small guy with the atomic energy, guest stars in the episode "Cable Car Rescue" with Wonder Woman. The two of them have to rescue a cable car dangling in the sky. The only DVD extra is about the Wonder Twins. Five stars...the DVD is of an acquired taste. Those raised on the super-hero cartoons of today with all of that over-the-top realism will perhaps not find these cartoons entertaining because the stories are fantastical and fiction, using just a shred of reality for the plot-line and going on from there. These cartoons were geared at children during a time when children weren't expected to grow up too fast, as the children of today are. Most kids today are 11 going on 30.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #796 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »

Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas, who punctuated innumerable home runs with his “Outta Here!” call, died Monday after being found in the broadcast booth before a game against the Washington Nationals. He was 73.

“We lost our voice today,” team president David Montgomery said, his voice cracking. “He has loved our game and made just a tremendous contribution to our sport and certainly to our organization.”

Kalas was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m. and taken to a local hospital, Montgomery said.

Kalas had surgery earlier this year for an undisclosed ailment that the team characterized as minor. He looked somewhat drawn last week as the Phillies opened the season at home.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros’ broadcast team from 1965-70. He also did voiceover work for NFL Films and for commercials.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame’s Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

Kalas joined the Phillies radio and TV broadcast team the year the club moved into their former home, Veterans Stadium, replacing fan favorite Bill Campbell.

He wasn’t immediately embraced by Phillies fans, despite being paired with Richie Ashburn, a Hall of Famer as a player, and longtime announcer. But Kalas evolved into a beloved sports figure in Philadelphia. He and Ashburn grew into a popular team, and shared the booth until Ashburn’s death in 1997.

YAHOO SPORTS

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #797 on: May 05, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »

RAY STEVENS CONCERT REVIEW

Ray Stevens appeared in Nashville, Indiana this past Saturday, May 2. I attended the 6pm show. He appeared again later at 9pm. This is the concert review...

The concert was everything one would hope for...there were a lot of medley's like the last concert because of the time limit of a 90 minute show and there was no down time during the entire 90 minutes...it was 90 full minutes and they blew by real fast. He performed the obvious songs one would expect to hear at a Ray Stevens concert: "The Streak", "Gitarzan", "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", and the comedy song that gathered the most applause: "It's Me Again, Margaret". His timing was razor sharp because in between the songs he'd deliver comedy jokes...several whose origins were older than Ray that I had heard on HEE-HAW and on old-time radio...but because of his delivery and his timing everyone was howling with laughter. There was one person behind us that couldn't control their laughter most of the time...I'm not saying if it was a man or woman, though.

There was some surprises, too, which is usual at his concerts. He stopped the show during one of his comedy routines because someone in the audience had hollered "sit down!!" and Ray looked over and went "what in the world's happening over there...". He didn't say anything more...because nothing more was made of it...and everyone started laughing. Some people had to stand up and walk out into an aisle way because an older woman had to use the restroom and because of the seating style, well, it caused some people to stand and block some people's view for just a brief second or two. There was another part in the show after he finished a ballad he started scratching his beard I assume because it was itchy and someone hollered out "you're hot!" and everyone laughed and clapped.

The seating was okay but the rows were built so close together that I had to keep getting up out of my seat so that others could walk through to their seat. It was that compact. This happened before much of the people started filing in which was a relief. The seats were almost like church pew's.

Ray slipped in "If 10% Is Good Enough For Jesus" to a rousing applause and he changed a lyric here and there but I won't spoil it for those who read this and hadn't yet gone to see his show yet. He performed the following songs, not in this order:

Such a Night
Gitarzan
It's Me Again, Margaret
Mississippi Squirrel Revival
Everything Is Beautiful
Thank You
Misty
Mr. Businessman
If Ten Percent Is Good Enough For Jesus
Safe At Home

Medley: Sgt Preston of the Yukon/Jeremiah Peabody/Ahab the Arab

Along Came Jones/Shriner's Convention medley

Almost every song had a story behind it and he told stories that would lead up to the songs he'd sing.

While in the concession area I looked all over but there were no copies of ONE FOR THE ROAD available. Instead, I bought four pictures of Ray taken during the photo session for the trucker CD. A member of Ray's message board told me that Ray's friend and songwriting associate, Buddy Kalb, told her that they'd start selling the trucker CD at the later concerts. Who was standing behind the concession counter you may be asking...none other than Buddy Kalb himself and a few other associates. I handed him my money for the pictures I bought plus I went ahead about bought "Laughter is The Best Medicine" and "The Ones That You Want" because I'm somewhat a completest when it comes to Ray and like to have whatever's available.

On our seats when we arrived was a small advertisement for Ray's upcoming trucker album indicating that it would be available at Ray's web-site and the Pilot Travel Center truck stops.

Elsewhere on this advertisement I see that on June 16 it states that Ray will be a guest on Sean Hannity's TV program on Fox News Channel. "Hannity" is what it's called since his on-air partner, Alan Colmes, left the network. It airs here at 9pm. So, there were no copies of Ray's trucker album and the only things they had to sell were CD's and DVD's. There were no shirts or hats or anything. I thought about having one of my pictures of Ray autographed but I backed out at the last second. I stood and watched everyone give one of the road people their items they wanted signed and I thought about having the Ray picture signed but I stayed back in the distance. I did keep looking back to see Ray's people parading in and out of his tour bus.

One of the unique things is a small section in the back of the venue off to the right had vacant seats...it just looked odd seeing every seat in the house filled but one little section in the back right corner...I assume the venue didn't offer those seats because not a soul was sitting there. It was something like three empty rows. The Nashville Opry itself looked like the Boar's Nest on the outside...the place on "The Dukes of Hazzard" where Daisy worked and where a lot of the action took place. On the inside, the Nashville Opry looked like an upscale theater.

All in all it was a great performance and I doubt that there was any media or local radio people there...although on my way to and from the venue I was able to pick up a local Indiana radio station that played classic country...so it's hard to tell if that station had anyone there. I didn't see any radio car's or van's so it's safe to say there wasn't any reporters/media types there...but it was a great show...and chances are the later concerts will have him promoting his trucker CD and you'll perhaps get to see him perform "Concrete Sailor" in person. If this concert were just 2 weeks later we'd be in the middle of the trucker CD publicity...but I'll be buying the trucker CD when it becomes available.

One For The Road is the title of Ray's up-coming truck driver CD. While at the show I bought four pictures of Ray that were taken during the photo shoot's for the CD...

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #798 on: May 22, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

The moment I entered my Yahoo home page several hours ago I came across the news of Clay's blog and commentary. I read the blog...it was copied and pasted in the news section...showing proof that it isn't just fan's of Clay's that belong to his web-site.

YAHOO MUSIC

The name of the article is "Aiken's Lambert Rant: Claymate Turns To Clayhate". The author of the article appears to be in Clay's favor...but the only thing that struck me as uncharacteristic was the description of Adam Lambert from Clay. This almost comes across like some sort of vindication...saying things that at one time he would've thought twice about. The reason why the phrase, "This year, I happened to turn it during the minute that Adam Lambert was singing 'Ring of Fire' and, at that moment, thought my ears would bleed. Contrived, awful, and slightly frightening!" is being repeated everywhere all over the internet is because it seems odd, ironic perhaps, that Clay, whose been at the receiving end of insults hurled his way for his style of singing and the kinds of songs he chooses to associate with, it just seems odd that he'd deliver a comment like that. The way I see it, Clay should have been more low-key instead of saying something that he should have known would create controversy all over the internet. Does he really think that a blog that's "exclusive" is going to stay exclusive? In this computer age anyone can copy and paste just about anything...exclusive or not. That URL shows the exact blog page from his web-site.   

I agreed entirely with his views of Idol, though. I'd never really even been a fan of the show as we all know...because to me the show was always about the things non-essential in the music business. It's great if a singer is a songwriter, too, and can play a variety of instruments, etc etc...and it's also great if a singer can be versatile...but the way the show came across to me, judging by the pages upon pages of message board commentary devoted to the show on a number of Clay message boards, was they put too much emphasis on singer's being "versatile". I'm of the audience that doesn't care one way or another if a singer is versatile...I don't care about being "moved" by a performance. If the singer has a voice I like hearing, that's what I base my opinion on...the artsy side of the commentary was always a turn-off for me. The vocal performance doesn't do it for me all the time, either...if their voice just doesn't do anything for me it doesn't matter how "great" a song is...I won't buy it. I'm sure others feel the same way, too...music I think is great probably makes some people's flesh crawl Don't Know Don't Know

But the bottom line is...the controversy is all based on how uncharacteristic those kinds of comments are. The last thing people expect from him is a brow-beating given how over the years he never really says how he feel's or what he thinks unless it's a charity event of some kind. Rarely does he go in the direction his blog went in...if it were Chris Daughtery who said the thing's Clay did, not a showing of shock would be seen...but Clay? It's like catching the Pope in a fist fight with someone...it's something you would never expect.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx