gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:09:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK APRIL 17  (Read 3591 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: April 17, 2005, 03:55:01 AM »

wave Good Morning, everyone!! wave

Clay Aiken volunteers, announces grants

HOLLYWOOD, FL, Apr. 16 (UPI) -- Clay Aiken has helped young people with intellectual disabilities and their Best Buddies plant more than 40 six-foot tall palm trees in Hollywood, Fla.

Aiken was participating in National Youth Service Day -- an annual weekend event April 15 to 17 that features children and teens volunteering in their communities.

The most successful alumnus from Fox's "American Idol" also announced the first recipients of the Clay Aiken ABLE to SERVE grants, providing grants of up to $2,000 each to youth with disabilities for community service projects for National Youth Service Day.

"Conventional wisdom often looks upon youth with disabilities as a population to be served by volunteers, instead of as a group that can serve as volunteers," Aiken said. "The Bubel/Aiken Foundation and Youth Service America seek to change this misperception by engaging youth with disabilities to serve create and lead others in service projects on National Youth Service Day and every day of the year."

As Aiken's singing career took off, the North Carolina native who had been studying to be a special education teacher before "American Idol," formed the Bubel/Aiken Foundation to create awareness about the diversity of individuals with disabilities and the possibilities inclusion.

WAHINGTONTIMES

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 03:56:32 AM »

Clay Aiken: Bubel/Aiken Foundation benefit

This Is the Night for the Invisible man. Aiken has been everywhere the past few months with a Christmas album, book, concerts and TV appearances. The American Idol geek heartthrob is a former teacher who has used his celebrity status to call attention to special-needs children. His special appearance is part of a Bubel/Aiken Foundation benefit for children with developmental disabilities. The gala also includes a silent auction. No doubt his "Clay-mate" fans will be out in force.

SOUTHFLORIDA.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 03:58:43 AM »

As Today's Caregiver Magazine celebrates its 10th anniversary, families will hear from this year's featured guest speaker, popular musical artist and American Idol superstar, Clay Aiken, who has been involved in care giving issues himself and founded the Bubel/Aiken Foundation.

24-7PRESSRELEASE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 04:00:44 AM »

Bullies
Bullies aren't just lurking on the schoolgrounds. Now, they can come into your home and torture your children over e-mail, instant messages and other Web forums. It's an epidemic that has kids withdrawing socially, dropping out of school, and in some cases, tragically taking their own lives. Dr. Phil and his son Jay talk to two teens who can't escape the intimidation and abuse. Then, pop star Clay Aiken, who was picked on as a child, shares how he got the bullying to stop.

DRPHIL.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 04:02:43 AM »

Some old, some new
Interlochen offers mix in summer schedule
By TOM CARR
Record-Eagle staff writer

INTERLOCHEN - No need to call in your votes.
      No matter what Simon says, "American Idol's" Clay Aiken will perform at the end of the Interlochen Arts Festival's 2005 Summer Concert Series.
      And there's a lot more for music lovers of all tastes leading up to his Aug. 19 appearance.

RECORD-EAGLE.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 04:04:37 AM »

"Good Morning America" will kick off its summer concert series with U2, which will make its first morning TV appearance on the ABC program. But the Irish rock act won't actually be in New York's Bryant Park, where the show's performances usually take place.(snip)

Other artists confirmed for this year's series include Shakira, Santana, Missy Elliott, Clay Aiken, Keith Urban and Avril Lavigne.

BILLBOARD.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 04:07:19 AM »

Gratuitous mention of the day (in a winemaking article Laughing)

Amateur winemakers get a needed support group
ROBERT MAYFIELD
April 14, 2005

Clay Aiken was one. Tiger Woods was one. And now, I've joined their ranks.

What in the world could I possibly have in common with a famous singer and a golf star? Well, they were once amateurs, and I'm one also -- an amateur winemaker.

APPS

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 04:10:38 AM »

Good morning M.B....."these boots were made for walking...." LOL (or should I say nonboots!)

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 04:15:44 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA AND JAYNE.

GOT UP EARLY SO CHECK TO SEE IF ANY PICS FROM LAST NIGHTS GALA.  I CAN'T WAIT.  FROM WHAT THEY SAID HE WAS RIGHT ON.  NOT DOES THAT SURPRISE US.  THANKS FOR THE NEWS AND LOOK FORWARD TO UPDATES.
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 04:42:11 AM »

Good Morning MB and Rainey!!

Have a great day!!!    

It sounds like the Florida gala went great!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 05:17:18 AM »

Good Morning Gang!

Here's Clay's horoscope for the day from yahoo.com.

Quickie:
Opportunities come in different flavors -- all of them sweet. Time for a taste test.

Overview:
You've just about had it with being where you are -- and even more so with doing the same thing you do every day. Is there a chance you can do something about this? Of course there is.

Daily Extended Forecast:
You're bored, and that's a dangerous thing for a fire sign to be. You need a change of pace, a change of scenery and a change of -- dare you say it? -- occupation. Maybe that's why you're pouting about work, even though it's Sunday. You've been putting in your time, often even more than your time. Maybe a week off would help -- or even just a couple of days. You're entitled to a break.

Daily Flirt:
Even though you haven't changed locations, you really feel like you're on an adventure today. Or at least some kind of quest. You're gathering facts. You're being intrepid about it.

Daily Couples:
Feel like visiting a warm, sunny beach with your honey? Go for it! A little break will do you both some good. Pack up your suits and some sunscreen and take off for the exotic locale of your dreams.

Daily Singles:
You're a natural-born wanderer, and taking to the road gives your heart a much-needed surge of life. Pretend you're on vacation, go out and about and get your spark back.

Daily Career and Finance:
You'll find that the more you put into your career right now, the more you'll get back. Pushing yourself even harder than usual is definitely worthwhile.

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 06:36:56 AM »

HELLO EVERYONE, BEAUTIFUL DAY HERE IN MASSACHUSETTS  

THANKS DEANNA FOR THE NEWS---I JUST NEW SOMEONE WAS GOING TO ADOPT CLAY'S BOOTS AS THERE AVIE--LOOKING GOOD DEANNA!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE--- I WILL BE BACK FOR MORE UPDATES.

TAKE CARE,
ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
bisi
UltimateFan

The Eyes have it!

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 07:55:31 AM »

www.sun-sentinel.com/news...ws-broward

In the middle of the night, Mary got up and walked into the adjacent bedroom to see if the diaper needed to be changed. It did, and she changed it without complaining. Changed the sheets, too. When she was done she leaned over, gave a soft kiss, and said, "Goodnight, Mom."

Clay Aiken, the American Idol runner-up who went on to become a multi-platinum recording artist, knew the story of a woman he called Mary would grab the attention of 500 people who came to see him speak Saturday at the Broward Convention Center. Many in attendance were in the same situation -- caring for children, siblings, spouses, or parents who can no longer take care of themselves.

Aiken was the keynote speaker at the Fearless Caregivers Conference, an annual event designed to provide support and information to regular people who find themselves meeting the special needs of their loved ones. Aiken was no mere celebrity spokesman. Before his climb to fame on the popular Fox TV series, he had earned his bachelor's degree in special education from the University of North Carolina, and was a special education teacher for eight years.

After he became famous in 2003, he co-founded the Bubel/Aiken Foundation to assist the families of children with developmental disabilities, particularly autism.

It's a subject he approaches with at least as much passion as his music.

On Saturday, he reminded caregivers to recognize that they need help, too. "Who cares for the caregivers?" he said, cautioning them to recognize their limitations.

"Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness," he said.

Elaine Schumacher, community outreach coordinator at the Miami Jewish Home and Hospital for the Aged, wished she had heard that advice much sooner. Watching Aiken speak, she recalled how hard her father worked to take care of her mother more than a decade ago.

Ethel Leib suffered from depression and heart disease, and Paul Leib was her rock, Shumacher said. She was proud of her Dad, noticing that Mom would dance at parties or walk along the beach, smiling. But Schumacher was paying so much attention to her mother, who needed care, that she didn't even notice her father was sitting out all these activities.

"No one told me to watch for the caregiver," Schumacher said. "Why didn't we realize Dad wasn't well?"

Ethel Leib died Mother's Day, 1994. Two weeks later, Paul Leib had a stroke, and Schumacher began to realize that while caring for his wife, he neglected his own health. He died six months later.

"If more emphasis had been placed on caring for the caregivers, more adults might realize that the sick parent isn't the only one who needs watching," Schumacher said.

That's the attitude that drove Gary Barg and his family to start the Caregiver Media Group, the nonprofit association that sponsored Saturday's conference. Barg's siblings noticed how much work it was for their mother, Monica, to care for their father, Robert. Few resources were available for caregivers, they noticed. Then they decided to change that.

The Caregiver Media Group sponsors conferences across the country and publishes Today's Caregiver, a magazine that provides information the Bargs wished had been available to their mother. Speakers at previous conferences have included Leeza Gibbons, Rob Lowe, Barbara Eden and the late Robert Urich.

For information about Caregiver Media Group, visit www.caregiver.com.

CLAYLOVE IS POWERFUL!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know  peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 09:11:48 AM »

From the Clayboard:

NEW EYE WITNESS FROM LYNNINNJ

RECAP - WE WERE THERE!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all....OK - here it goes....we were THERE at the tree planting today - CA24 and I, along with 3 other wonderful Claymates. Yes, that's right, ladies - only 5 fans that we know of...and it was worth ever second.

Clay and his entourage (Jerome, Mary, Nick, Quiana) arrived at Lincoln Park around 11:20am just as the kids were doing some planting and mulching around the park (they had already planted over 20 trees since 8:30 this morning). He was wearing blue cargo shorts, a purple Burberry polo and a Best Buddies Tee shirt overtop (yes, layers!!) and Nike sneakers....what an outfit!!!!!

We had two cameras and one video camera going, and the reporter and photographer from Miami Herald were covering all angles of OMC! We hope to have a great story from them in the morning, as many pics were taken (the photographer was UP CLOSE) and many quotes were taken. Clay jumped right in and wanted to meet all the kids involved with Best Buddies...and he took a special liking to a little boy, Danny - who he took under his wing. We do have photos, but will be in FLL til Sunday, so you'll have to be patient with us!!!!!

He stayed for about 40 minutes, and picked up a shovel and started helping the kids...it was AMAZING. He was in his element chatting with the kids, helping Danny and others and congratulating them for all their hard work. We stayed real close, and only watched - letting him "do his thing" Although we were close with cameras, we didn't talk to him at all - but he did look and smile at us a few times as if to say "thank you" (we think both for coming and not bothering him).

Words cannot describe how beautiful these minutes were witnessing Clay doing what he does best....well that is, besides performing for us! It was sooooo sweet how he introduced himself to each and every one of them with "Hi - my name is Clay, what's yours?" and "it's nice to meet ya"....the memory of it all is imprinted in my brain forever.

I'm so thankful for this opportunity to see this side of Clay...interacting with the kids - and showing them their contributions to the community are important. We have amazing photos of him digging in and getting his hands dirty....(yes, they're HAWT!)...and spending quality time with these kids.

I'm sure i'll think of a million different things as some times goes by and will keep posting, but it's honestly hard to put into words how amazing this experience was. This man is one of a kind....with the most kindest, gentlelest and caring heart in the world - we are lucky to have him in our lives.
---------------------------------------------------------

Janet Claymaniac2000
Hey Butterfly....Open up your weary eyes and realize.....It's a trip we're taking

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
JULIE you are in my heart forever
Galadriel
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 09:20:28 AM »

Here's what the Miami Herald had to say:

MIAMI.COM

Posted on Sun, Apr. 17, 2005  

HOLLYWOOD | CLAY AIKEN COMES TO VOLUNTEER

DOWN-TO-EARTH IDOL

POP SINGER HELPS PLANT TREES WITH STUDENTS REFURBISHING LINCOLN PARK

BY NATALIE P. McNEAL

nmcneal@herald.com

Dressed in Nike running shoes, navy blue cargo shorts and a lilac-colored polo-style shirt, pop star Clay Aiken was a hit again on Saturday.

This time, though, the former contestant on Fox-TV's American Idol was not singing, but planting trees and laying fresh mulch at Hollywood's Lincoln Park alongside a group of student volunteers.

Now the neighborhood has a slew of new trees on its streets, fresh mulch for its park and memories of a pop star visit.

Aiken visited the north central Hollywood neighborhood Saturday, boosting morale for National Volunteer Day participants. At the event, students with learning disabilities planted Foxtail palms along with mainstream school students.

''It's amazing to see the kids with disabilities and without disabilities working together,'' said Aiken, who is a former special education teacher. ``Everyone is different and functions at a different level, but can still work together.''

Aiken, who was in South Florida receiving an award for his work with special education children, decided to join the students as they volunteered.

For just under an hour, Aiken gathered mulch, shook hands and held hands, and took photos with the more than 40 student volunteers at the park.

He made new friends with many of them, including Danny Wieder, 18, a special education student at Cypress Bay High in Weston.

Aiken helped Danny put on oversized work gloves to put down mulch. He made sure the gloves fit over the boy's five fingers.

''Good job, high five,'' Aiken told Danny. ``You want to throw some more dirt?''

The student volunteers came from Pembroke Pines and Weston.

Fans of Aiken, also known as ''Claymates,'' came from as far away as Baltimore and New Jersey to watch him work.

The women -- some of them much older than the 26-year-old Aiken -- traveled to support their favorite ex-American Idol contestant.

Lynn Martin, 35, of southern New Jersey, traveled to South Florida to see Aiken speak at a conference on Saturday at the Broward County Convention Center in Fort Lauderdale.

Aiken also performed there Saturday night with vocal music students from from Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School in Miami-Dade.

Martin learned that Aiken also would be making an appearance at the Hollywood tree plantings, and decided to show up there, too.

''Most of our husbands dislike him because much of our attention and money goes to seeing him,'' Martin joked.

''I love his voice,'' said Pam Cloonan, 60, of Plantation, who waited at Lincoln Park Saturday morning for Aiken to arrive. ``I love what he is doing for the kids of America.''

Saturday's group of volunteers were a mix of Flanagan High Navy Junior ROTC students and others from both Flanagan and Cypress Bay high schools who participate in the Best Buddies program. The program pairs students with intellectual disabilities with mainstream students.

Flanagan High student Adonis Lebada, 17, of Pembroke Pines, helped break down dirt on Fillmore Street for the tree planting.

''It makes me feel good,'' Adonis said. ``When I plant a tree, I can come back when I'm old and see what I did.''

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 09:29:26 AM »

Hello and Happy Sunday to everyone!  

Heer's some CLAY TV reminders for the next couple of days.

04/18/05 101 MOST STARLICIOUS MAKEOVERS 12 noon STYLE

04/18/05 ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT 7 pm EST SYN

04/19/05 DR PHIL SYN

Thanks to Deanna, bisi and Galadriel for the news updates!  Janet, I'm copying your post into the Gala thread in Daily Dish too. Thanks!

From Clay's horoscope, compliments of aikenseeker:

You're a natural-born wanderer, and taking to the road gives your heart a much-needed surge of life.

That's right Clay, so please try to take to the rosd somewhere in or near NC this summer, OK?  Thankya!

Wink

Enjoy your day!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx