gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK APRIL 5  (Read 3825 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: April 05, 2005, 01:55:45 AM »

wave Good Morning, everyone!! wave

There has been a growing debate, publicly and privately, in the radio and record industries over the merits, impact, and future of the American Idol phenomenon. At the center of discussion is the almost unbending trend of many Idol artists' ability to sell records but not generate airplay.

(snip)

Artist identification is key. When asked which American Idol artists recorded music that impressed them the most after leaving the show, fan responses where drawn clearly along cultural lines. Respondents where given the choice between 10 former contestants. Fantasia Barrino earned a sizable 45% of the Black Female vote, whereas Kelly Clarkson scored with 43% of the White females and 49% of Hispanic female voters.

Clay Aiken picked up most of the remaining White female votes, but interestingly he fared very poorly with Black and Hispanic females. When asked which of the Idol artists impressed them the least, Clay was the big loser with Black females with 28% of the votes. He was followed by Diana Degarmo and Justin Guarini. Justin was the loser with White and Hispanic females.

Interestingly, Kelly Clarkson seems to have escaped the scorn of all three groups. It is perhaps not a coincidence that she is also the most consistent exception to the no-airplay rule for Idol artists. Clay's numbers certainly reinforce one radio theory presented in the Monitor that he is "too polarizing". Our survey seems to indicate that the polarization is real and it is culturally based.

(snip)

When asked which specific artists deserved more airplay the answers were drawn along the same previously determined cultural lines. Kelly and Clay won with White females, Kelly with Hispanic Females, and Fantasia by a large margin with Black females. Interestingly, Ruben Studdard who has enjoyed some moderate R&B radio success does not score nearly as well here with Black females as does Fantasia.

If the radio and record industries want to stay in step with their consumers on the American Idol phenomenon, they need to start looking at the subject through the same lens as those consumers. The fans are able to separate reality TV from actual reality, and they are able to separate the contestants from the contest. Music industry professionals would do well to do the same.

BILLBOARD HIT PREDICTOR

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 01:56:25 AM »

Learning to Sing is one of three books featured as "books of the month" at the Family Christian Bookstore.

The book is on sale for 40% off - $13.17.  With a coupon in the flyer, you can get an additional 20% off.

Just an FYI!

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:57:53 AM »

Clay mentioned in a Vegas musical production featuring the music of Queen:

The production, which makes modern-day references to everything from Britney Spears and Clay Aiken to Las Vegas and big-name Strip headliners, turns the theater into one large rock concert.

VEGAS.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 01:58:23 AM »

Posted at the CB about the AI DVD:

Ok guys I watched the DVD. There isn't a whole lot of Clay. There is is audtion, Bridge of Troubled Water, and a Melody that he sings with Kim and Ruben, and little flashes of him here in there. I do like that the audtion and The performances are nice and clear, and you can see every little freckle.

it's nice to have for the collection....BUT if I knew it was this like this I would have saved my money for the tour.

Just one opinion!

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:58:51 AM »

From John Dahlstrom's website:

Photo shoot with Clay Aiken
April 1, 2005

I have just returned home from a succesful 2 day photo shoot in Aspen, CO. With Clay Aiken and team. These photos will be used for different projects throughout the year.

Coming Soon! Check out my behind the scenes gallery for some sneak peeks from the Aspen shoot!

JOHN D STYLE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 02:03:20 AM »

Anthony Fedorov: It’s hard not to like Anthony. He’s so bright! But for someone who started off with such promise, he’s been somewhat disappointing. Anthony’s problem is definitely song selection. He isn’t picking the kinds of songs that would properly showcase his voice, and he is losing ground. I don’t want to see him eliminated, but I think he may well be the first guy to go (if Scott manages to get through this week). It’s too bad, though, because I think he is capable of a lot more than he has shown us so far.

In the end, the comparisons to Clay Aiken may have hurt Anthony more than anything else. The Claymates argue vehemently that he is nothing like Clay, and have not given him their support. Had these comparisons not been made, he might have found more support among this mighty force. But it’s too late for that now.

FOXES ON IDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 02:18:49 AM »

Have a great day, everyone!!

Here ya go:

New Flavor of the Day:

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye

Deanna

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 02:39:28 AM »

Mornin' M.B.  thanks for the news and the new flavor of the day...Pamela had mentioned it was coming....

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 04:33:58 AM »

MORNING DEANNA AND FRIENDS.

THE ARTICLE ABOUT RADIO PLAY WAS VERY INTERESTING.  SURE HOPE THE STATIONS LISTEN TO WORDS OF ADVICE.

AS FAR AS ANTHONY GOES, I AGREE 100%.  AS MUCH AS HE SAID HE DIDN'T WANT TO BE COMPARED TO CLAY WELL EXCUSE ME.  THAT WAS NOT WAS HIS ACTIONS SHOWED.  I DEFINITELY THINK IT HURT HIM.

WELL SURE HOPE WE HEAR MORE NEWS ON OUR HONEY AND UPCOMING CONCERTS.  THERE JUST HAS TO BE SOME NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS.  THERE JUST HAS TO BE.

CHECK BACK LATER FOR UPDATES.  OH PLEASE SAY IT IS SO.
mainer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 06:51:40 AM »

This would be even more informative if it looked at the sales demographics for performers who are successful at getting air play -- people like Usher, Justin, Christina, Beyonce, etc.,  in terms of who their listeners are. iIt's possible that some listener groups are being largely ignored when it comes to air time.  But part of Clay's air time problem, I think, has to do with RCA and promotion and distribution.  When we called in to request Solitaire, none of the stations had it -- or had heard of it -- and we never did hear it on the radio here.  This wasn't a DJ decision, but a distribution one.  (I understand that IWCY has been released as a single -- we don't even bother to request it, because we're sure RCA hasn't bothered to release it to this area.)  Usher's Burn was playing here on day 1 -- but to play it, stations had to have it.I also understand that MOM has been rereleased with Solitaire -- but local Strawberries, WalMarts and Borders people couldn't even find it in their computers when they looked, when I checked recently.  Meanwhile, when Clay supplies sell out, none of these places restock.  We live in a land devoid of Clay.
mainer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 06:56:38 AM »

and maybe RCA is releasing Clay to the same markets that are strong for R&B.  Maybe they need to think about the demographics of the areas they release singles to, if they don't distribute them universally to all radio stations -- but rather have a test group.  They may be testing to the wrong group.
clays#1fan
UltimateFan

Clay's Speedracer

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 08:57:14 AM »

THanks for the news Deanna!! You Rock!!  

Joyce wave
Clay makes me happier than a kitten chasing a leaky cow!  
I love Clay more today, but not as much as tomorrow!
www.myspace.com/joyce1010
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 09:00:33 AM »

Hello mainer!  You may be interested in reading the articles collected HERE in the Talk Radio forum.

Radio play is mostly supported in order to generate sales.  Since Clay's sales were so huge, maybe RCA didn't think a financial investment in radio play would give great return.

Also, although I enjoy the CD very much, I agree that many of the songs were not applicable to top 40 radio.  Invisible actually did well on top 40 radio, but they turn songs quickly on that format.  In order to succeed in the adult contemporary format, a song has to also succeed on top 40 first.

It doesn't sound logical, but if you look at most of the songs on the AC play lists, they were first played on top 40.  Solitaire was never going to succeed on top 40 radio - it just wasn't.  I think RCA made a mistake releasing The Way as well.  I Will Carry You may have done better, but it was given no support.  Then you have the AI stigma; not so much that Clay came from AI but that he didn't win.  For some reason, that was considered to be a factor as well.  

I don't claim to know anything about anything concerning radio, but I do believe that specific formats are stuck to rather blindly, there isn't an option for a variety of music within specific formats, and programmers and record companies dictate what gets played, not the listeners.  In my mind, it goes totally against the idea that music is a form of free expression and plays to the fact that the music business is just that - business.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 10:34:45 AM »

Quote from: clayMaine-iac
Posted at the CB about the AI DVD:

Ok guys I watched the DVD. There isn't a whole lot of Clay. There is is audtion, Bridge of Troubled Water, and a Melody that he sings with Kim and Ruben, and little flashes of him here in there. I do like that the audtion and The performances are nice and clear, and you can see every little freckle.

it's nice to have for the collection....BUT if I knew it was this like this I would have saved my money for the tour.

Just one opinion!

that's news to me lol... what AI DVD??

Had these comparisons not been made, he might have found more support among this mighty force. But it’s too late for that now.

LOL... mighty force!.. what a compliment  
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 10:47:39 AM »

Had these comparisons not been made, he might have found more support among this mighty force. But it’s too late for that now.

WE ARE CLAYGIRLS!
HEAR US ROAR!!!

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
houstonclayfan
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 11:02:34 AM »

that's news to me lol... what AI DVD??

Cingular released a promotional DVD this week of the greatest moments of AI 1-3.  I believe its $9.99 with a purchase and $19.99 without.

Mighty force!     I hadn't picked up on that when I read it the first time.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 11:17:22 AM »

American Idol 4: Which Idol Will Fall Fourth?
by Phil Kural with David Bloomberg -- 04/05/2005

(snip)
Who else has to worry this week? I’m looking at you, Anthony. I’m lucky enough to live in Philadelphia, and Anthony is from Trevose, which is right outside of Philly. They are acting like Anthony is the best thing since sliced bread, and although he’s good, he’s not Clay, and so I wish people would stop comparing them. Listen to Anthony and then listen to Clay – there is no comparison… Clay would sing circles around him. Anthony hasn’t had “that great” performances, and it’s time for a guy to go home, in my opinion. He better hope his fans rally because that first guy could be him as well.
(snip)

Foxes on Idol

you can read the rest on the link
Ilovetowrite
UltimateFan

hi
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 11:55:44 AM »

It's time for the Popstar Awards again! You can vote by sending in the ballot from the May 2005 issue of Popstar or send them an email to popstarmag@aol.com
The winners will be in the August 2005 issue on sale July 5. Send your votes by May 2, 2005. You can only vote once and be sure to vote in all the categories.
Here's the ballot:
Movies
Poptastic Movie Actor:
Poptastic Movie Actress:
Class of 2005 Rising Movie Star:
Poptastic Movie - Right Now:
Music
Poptastic Male Singer: C l a y Aiken
Poptastic Female Singer:
Poptastic Group:
Class of 2005 Rising Music Act:
Poptastic Song - Right Now:
Poptastic Music Video - Right Now:
TV
Poptastic TV Actor:
Poptastic TV Actress:
Class of 2005 Rising TV Star:
Poptastic TV Show - Right Now:
Fashion & Beauty
Poptastic Male Hottie: C l a y Aiken
Poptastic Female Hottie:
Poptastic Hair - Male: C l a y Aiken
Poptastic Hair - Female:
Poptastic Style - Male: C l a y Aiken
Poptastic Style - Female:
Emailed my votes!..

Keeper of Clays straight hair and Flip flops.

CLAY'S BUS BABE.
Clays Traveling Gypsy.
Ilovetowrite
UltimateFan

hi
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 11:59:09 AM »

Quote from: clayMaine-iac
Learning to Sing is one of three books featured as "books of the month" at the Family Christian Bookstore.

The book is on sale for 40% off - $13.17.  With a coupon in the flyer, you can get an additional 20% off.

Just an FYI!

I have a coupon also if someone needs it. Just P.M me. I do not need another book LOL.
Thanks For all the info. Anything to keep Clay in the spotlight is good, even if it is almost a year old.

Keeper of Clays straight hair and Flip flops.

CLAY'S BUS BABE.
Clays Traveling Gypsy.
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »

HELLO EVERYONE!!
DEANNA THANKS DOR THE NEWS!!!

ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx