gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 4 News and Information  (Read 25514 times)
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2005, 01:42:51 PM »

Quote from: Pamela
Over on the singles chart, the country's favorite talent show did it again. The American Idol season four finalists' "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" sold nearly 27,000 copies to take over the number one spot. Sales of the single benefit the American Red Cross.

YAHOO

For comparison's sake, "God Bless the USA" from season two sold over 100,000 copies.

WOW!  I didn't know that.  Does anyone know what charity sales from the single "God Bless the USA" benefited?  Does AI always support the Red Cross?

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
houstonclayfan
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2005, 01:51:49 PM »

Quote from: quynn
Does anyone know what charity sales from the single "God Bless the USA" benefited?  Does AI always support the Red Cross?

"God Bless The USA" benefited the Red Cross as well. The Red Cross is the only charity that I have seen AI donate to, but it might be due to timing.  During Season 2, the money went to the war victims. This season I am willing to bet that they are supporting the Tsunami victims (maybe the still the war as well ?). Did Season 3 have a single and was it for charity ?  I wasnt into Season 3 very much.
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2005, 04:16:40 AM »

American Idol voters send Scott back to Ohio

2005-05-04 21:51:38        

Once again a contestant on American Idol was voted off on, arguably, his best week. A week where many anti-Scott Savol viewers admitted that Scott was pretty good, and he still gets sent home.

First up was a review of last night's show, followed by a plug for the official website. The group performance was "Bridge over Troubled Water." I personally found it amusing that though Scott went home, Anthony Fedorov was the weakest performer. Bo Bice and Scott sounded wonderful together. The producers didn't even give Anthony a solo line until near the end, and then it was just one line. At the end, Vonzell Solomon and Carrie Underwood gave two bundles of flowers to the judges. It was neat to see Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson holding flowers.

Then it was time for the commercial. Naturally that meant the Ford commercial as well, this one featuring the song "A message to you Rudy." The contestants locked their keys in their Ford Vehicle. There was a dog in the car and they were pleading with the dog to get the keys and hand it to them. Eventually the dog passed the keys through the partially open window. Of course, had they bought a GM car featuring OnStar, they could simply have called up to have the door unlocked, but I don't think that was the point of Ford's commercial.

Then Ryan wished Anthony a happy birthday as he put the contestants into 2 groups. Anthony and Scott ended up on the couch. Vonzell, Carrie and Bo ended up staying where they were. Then the "twist" was that Anthony and Scott were the bottom two.

After another break, Scott sang "Everytime you Go Away." Randy sauid that the right three people were on the sofa. Paula Abdul said Scott had fun. Simon said he couldn't take Ryan seriously dressed as he was. Ryan was dressed up pretty nice in a lovely white suit.

Anthony sang "Incomplete," reminding all that he can't sing at all. Randy said that Anthony needs to perform every week like it's his last week. After another break, Ryan revealed that Anthony's birthday present was that he would be staying while Scott left. Honestly I don't know how Anthony manages to stay on the show week after week performing as horribly as he does. Scott, on the other hand, has shown some real promise and improvement. American Idol isn't a singing competition, it's merely a popularity contest.  

American Idol voters send Scott back to Ohio

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2005, 04:19:34 AM »

American Idol 4, May 4 - I Will Ease Your Mind
by Sting7 -- 05/05/2005
There are only five contestants, and within minutes there will be four. All five have proven they deserve to be there by your votes. Losing anyone will be sad. But, is there something darker afoot. Constantine last week, could Bo Bice be this week? Is there a plan to eliminate the best contestants?

Ryan welcomes us, and asks if we can "handle the results?" I hope so. I have never been so sick of hearing the name Constantine before in my whole life. Jeezly Crow! Ryan tells us the finale is only three weeks away (hard to imagine!). Intro the contestants on the couch, intro the judges.

A recap of last night’s performances. The final five perform "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and it’s lovely. And, if the song wasn’t subtle message enough, Carrie and Vonzell give flowers to the judges – well, Randy and Simon, and a kiss to Paula. That’s a little odd. I think Paula could use some flowers today. Over on another channel, PrimeTime Live is plumbing the bottom of the pond with an expose’ about Paula and Corey Clark! Nothing but love in the room, here. It was nice, and completely planned. Message delivered.

The crowd applause is particularly strident. A show of support all its own.

Ford Commercial time. "A Message To Rudy." Rudy is a dog in a car. Rudy has a message too. Leave me alone.

Results time. It’s Anthony’s birthday. Happy Birthday! Last night, I predicted Anthony and Scott would be at the bottom. Scott would be going home.

Anthony - may sit on the couch (Ryan didn't say he was safe, just sit on the couch).

Vonzell - stay there (boos from the audience, who assume that means she's in danger).

Scott - may sit on the couch (he pumps his fist and thanks the audience, but when he gets to the couch, Anthony looks like he may have this all figured out).

Bo - stay there. (He nods knowingly)

Carrie - stay there.

Ryan announces that Vonzell, Bo and Carrie are the top three. Anthony and Scott are the bottom two. Eat it up, haters. If I had my druthers, I’d rather see Anthony stay and Scott go home. I don’t have an issue with either guy, but in terms of the performances, Anthony has had such quiet momentum, I would hate for it to end tonight.

Ryan says both will be singing for us. Scott delivers a nervous "Every Time You Go Away." Ryan asks Randy if Scott is safe. Randy said he does not know, but the right three are on the couch. Paula says Scott had fun last night, and that’s what matters. Ryan reminds Simon that he said Scott was leaving. Simon says he meant that for this week. Then he and Simon jab at each other.

Anthony’s sings a composed "Incomplete." Ryan asks Randy what Anthony needs to do from here on, if he stays. Randy says he has to sing like it’s his last time every week, no pitch problems, pick the right song, "it’s the heat of the moment from here on." Idol’s first Asia reference!

Ryan announces the results, "Anthony, it’s bad news, buddy. We forgot to get you a birthday card, but we do have a gift – you are safe!" Anthony’s knees buckle just a little.

Scott’s funeral video airs, in the end, he says "I just want to be the guy everybody loved." You definitely claimed some hearts, kiddo! The problem was Scott didn’t act much like an underdog yesterday, and the sympathy votes weren’t necessary. Oh well. In reality, Scott was not the worst of the night, he went out strong. Good for him. You want to be remembered doing a good job, it could make all of the difference.

Well, Bo was not eliminated. So ends the “vote for the worst” controversy. As Idol (and I) said, there aren’t enough idiots willing to play along. It gives you a little more faith in humanity, doesn’t it?

We’ll come back next week and see the final four battle for supremacy. Anthony’s Armada... he needs you! Don’t let him down!

Now, I have to go see the nastiness the ABC is dying to share to with us. Ugh.

American Idol 4, May 4 - I Will Ease Your Mind

AI Forum Moderator
stellium
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »

Actually,  Sting,  the sending of Scott home at this point when he is getting so many votes and just performed the two best songs of his Idol season,  probably proves just the opposite about Vote for Worst.

They were getting too much publicity,  too much power over the most powerful show on TV, and generating too many votes !   There is no way Idol could let Scott stay,  to ruin their plans and balance.   The very site that tried to make Scott stay ....... made Scott leave.

The Vote for Worst site did prove to be wrong,  however,  and make fools of themselves.   Because Scott proved Tuesday night that he was not the worst.   Anyone who has listened to his two MP3 performances knows that.   They were excellent vocals this week,  Scott.    

There are only three albums I would buy from this show's contestants:   Carrie,  Anthony,  and Scott.
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2005, 09:28:25 AM »

Please keep in mind that we are all allowed to have differing opinions about the contestants on the show!

Abdul Pokes Fun at 'American Idol' Scandal

NEW YORK - Despite the controversy surrounding her,     Paula Abdul is showing she can have a sense of humor about it. The "American Idol" judge being investigated for an alleged affair with a former contestant made a cameo appearance introducing the opening sketch on NBC's "Saturday Night Live."

Corey Clark, a former contestant of the Fox show, claimed this week that Abdul had an affair with him while he was competing in 2003 and coached him on how to do better in the competition.

ABC's "Primetime Live" aired an expose of the scandal, which the SNL cast lampooned on Saturday night.

The sketch made comical allusions to the controversy with a mock interview and stage performances, and featured Amy Poehler as Abdul and Finesse Mitchell as Clark. But at the end of the sequence, Abdul returned to the set making her own "Idol"-style critiques of her imitator.

To Poehler she said: "You need to perfect the clap a little more and be a lot more sexier so contestants will be willing to sleep with you."

Abdul has called the allegations "lies" and issued a statement Friday expressing "my deepest appreciation" for fans who have expressed their support for her.

"I do trust my fans who can see through attempts at character assassination, and I do trust the essential fairness of the American public," she said.

Abdul Pokes Fun at 'American Idol' Scandal

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2005, 09:31:42 AM »

American Idol’s Final Four
SOUNDS FAMILIAR By Baby A. Gil
The Philippine Star 05/09/2005  

Bless Star World for allowing viewers to watch American Idol when they want. The show goes on several times a day on Wednesdays and Thursdays. If you missed the live telecast at 4 p.m., you can catch the proceedings at 8 p.m. and then later again at 11:30 and even the next day at 11 a.m. No way anybody can miss it and I admit that if the episode is exceptionally good, I even watch the replays.

While I sometimes complain about reality TV having put intriguing mysteries like Law and Order out of the local skeds, it cannot be denied that American Idol makes for a great viewing experience. It is real-life melodrama at its best with suspense, fabulous music, interesting characters including "villains" like Simon Cowell, plus the idea of the audience being able to participate in the tearful, inspiring outcome. The contestants do not only sing, they are singing for their lives and the audience plays god when they cast that life-changing vote.

American Idol is a singing contest but it is really all about which contestant can bring in the most votes. While this system adds to the show’s mass appeal, it can also be its undoing. Anybody who makes it to the finals can spend all his savings or even mortgage his home to "invest" in himself. Having all the money he can get will enable him to pay the massive phone bills he will have to pay later. He can also hire people to vote for him to win or at least to get into the top slots. I do not say that this is what has been happening but the truth is, a contestant goes home if he gets the lowest number of votes. He has to make those votes happen and the public is not really that reliable in matters like this.

Putting the balance on this system of choosing the winner is the presence of the judges, which is really very important. The comments of Cowell plus Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul guide the "uncommitted" voters to choose only the best. They can be harsh at times, especially Cowell but that is understandable. That is the only way for them to preserve the integrity of the contest. Otherwise, if he has enough votes, any Tom, Dick or Harry can win.

This can really be unfair. It was the reason why the mediocre Jasmine Trias got as far as the top three during the last season and why a major talent like Constantine Maroulis lost this year. I admit that Nickelback’s How You Remind Me was a bad choice. You do Nickelback for fun, not to win a singing competition. Maroulis had already received 35 million votes prior to being sent home and might have gone on to win the contest. Did he lose because of Nickelback? No. He lost because his followers did not send enough votes.

While it was sad to lose sexy heartthrob Constantine, it is still a fact that this year’s batch of finalists is the best ever. All of them, even those sent packing earlier like Anwar Robinson, Jessica Sierra, Nikko Smith and Nadia Turner had great moments and evinced the extraordinary qualities that can make them a true American Idol. And that includes last week’s casualty Scott Savol who has a wonderfully pleasing voice but has lately been the target of criticism. This is the reason why with only three weeks to go until the finals, there is still no clear winner.

Will it be Anthony Fedorov or Vonzelle Solomon? These two are cast pretty much in the pop/R&B mold of the previous Idol winners. This makes them strong choices especially if the same sort of people are voting. Think runner-up Clay Aiken and last year’s winner Fantasia Barrino. Bo Dice and Carrie Underwood though bring something new and exciting to the contest. Carrie has the looks and versatility that can make for another Faith Hill while Bo reminds me of a young Michael McDonald, a rocking Doobie Brother who can mesmerize with Motown. They are long shots if you consider the previous choices but either one will be like a breath of fresh air.

The suspense is killing, but the choice of the winner really boils down to who gets the most votes. Sad? Unfair? Maybe. But no votes are needed to tell us that American Idol viewers like us are being treated to another enjoyable season.  

American Idol’s Final Four

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2005, 07:06:40 PM »

'American Idol' Recap: Bo Knows Rock — And Country And Funk

Bice is versatile, Vonzell gets emotional, and Anthony pulls off a classic that Carrie couldn't ace.

by Corey Moss

It seems everyone has something to say about "American Idol," and MTVNews.com is no different. Here's the latest edition of our weekly performance-night roundup:

May 10 - Theme: Country/Sounds of Philadelphia (songs of Gamble & Huff)
Surprise performance: Poor Anthony had to close the show singing "If You Don't Know Me By Now" — after the judges hated Carrie's rendition of the same song just minutes earlier. But A-'Rov nailed it, perhaps securing his spot in the final three.

Fashion hits and misses: Just like her first performance, Vonzell's dress was all over the place. It was a country theme, so we'll excuse Anthony's denim on denim. The hit of the night was Bo in mirrored shades and a suit (sans dress shirt).

Judging the judges: Maybe it was the judges getting along, but something just seemed off. A parade of previous "Idol" finalists (John Stevens, Jasmine Trias, La Toya London, Mikalah Gordon) showed up, seemingly to support Paula Abdul in the wake of scandal (see "Corey Clark Advertises Paula Abdul Affair, LP On 'Primetime' "). She responded by not saying much that made sense. Randy, what exactly does "doing your thing" mean? As usual, Simon was on the money with his critiques and brought back his signature analogies, comparing Anthony singing a soul song to "Woody Allen playing the lead in 'Shaft.' " He even showed some tact with an emotional Vonzell.

Best audience sign: "She's a Little Bit Country, She's a Little Bit Rock 'n' Roll." Carrie's known as the country girl, but let's not forget some of her rockin' performances.

Who will go: No one deserves it, but it's probably Vonzell.

Who needs to step it up: At this point, everyone. There are no more easy weeks. With the possible exception of Bo, each of the singers had one off performance, and the song selections were average at best. To win it, you need the equivalent of Fantasia's "Summertime" last season.

Who is the one to beat: Remember Bo Jackson's "Bo Knows" campaign: Bo knows football, Bo knows baseball, etc.? Well, "Idol" finalist Bo should adopt it. Bo knows rock. And as he proved Tuesday, Bo knows country. And Bo knows funk. And he's got personality to boot.

You told us:

Vonzell has it all: great vocals, entertaining performances, charisma and the best sense of fashion. She just needs tons of votes. Carrie will be a good country singer, but she's not "American Idol" material. She just doesn't have that "It" factor. I can't think of any reason why Anthony has come this far, except maybe his boyish look. And Bo is good, but he's not flexible enough to do every genre. A rock star shouldn't be an Idol anyway.

A, 24 New York, NY

Carrie has an amazing voice, but so does Vonzell. If everyone voted correctly, they will be the top two. But since Bo oddly has such a loyal fanbase, Vonzell will be unfairly eliminated too soon.

Sam, 20 Cambridge, MA

Bo Bice is very overrated. He murdered "For the Love of Money" and his country song was horrible.

Diane, 19 New York, NY

No matter what kind of music he sings, Bo's voice shines.

Bridget, 34 Fort Lauderdale, FL

This report is provided by MTV News

'American Idol' Recap: Bo Knows Rock — And Country And Funk

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2005, 07:09:35 PM »

American Idol contestant out on best week

2005-05-11 22:13:59

American Idol has a remarkable tendency to lose contestants on their "best week." Anthony Fedorov had a rare good week, but all of his previous bad performances caught up with him finally. But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's see how things went.

First up was the standard review of Tuesday night's performances followed by a plug for the American Idol tour and website. The group performance was pretty good. They sang "Islands in the Stream." The individual singers were good and the group was good, but I felt that Bo's voice faded into the background in group performance.

I loved the Ford commercial this week. Whoever has been thinking up the Ford commercials this season deserves a promotion and a raise. This one had the final 4 singing "Ready to Go" as their Ford car was turned into a rollercoaster. Bo had an odd haircut and the group wanted to know who did it, hence the rollercoaster. When the ride stopped, the 4 emerged from the vehicle, all with odd hairdos.

Then we were treated to a review of the final 4's audition performances. I remember Vonzell Solomon's. She wore two different colored shoes, which is what stuck in my mind. She sang "Chain of Fools" and was great. She had such promise in the beginning and ended up being disappointing more often than not. Vonzell thought it was funny to see the old tape. Randy Jackson said Vonzell grew a lot and started to believe in herself.

Up next was Anthony Fedorov's audition tape. You remember that one, the Clay Aiken fans had a fit because he was compared to Clay. Anthony said he looked goofy back then. Paula Abdul said there was no more comparison to Clay anymore. That's true, Clay is much more consistent than Anthony. He had such promise in his audition. Like Vonzell, he's been a disappointment.

After the commercial, we were reminded of Carrie Underwood's audition tape. Randy said then that she needed to work on emotion and stage presence, something she still needs work on. Simon Cowell says now that Carrie was one of the few that he remembered. He also pointed out that he predicted that she would win. He and Ryan Seacrest got into a bit of an argument when Ryan asked Simon if he still thought that. Ryan said Simon avoided the question.

Then we got to finally see Bo Bice's audition tape, which hadn't been played before. Simon thought he was brilliant. Ryan pointed out that Simon called Bo "Harold" for a long time. Bo pointed out that Simon calls him Bo now. Simon said that Bo's attitude was good.

Ryan then said that three of the contestants would be getting Marquis Jet cards to fly home tomorrow in luxury. The other one would get a one way coach ticket back home. Then it was time for yet another commercial.

As we returned from the break, all four contestants were standing in the center of the stage with Ryan, as usual. Ryan first told Bo that he was safe. Then Carrie was safe. After reviewing Anthony and Vonzell, he talked about the emotional night on Tuesday. He pointed out that today would be emotional for someone as well, and it was Anthony who would be going home. Anthony then sang "If you don't know me" but he started too early I think.

Personally I'm not that sad about getting rid of Anthony. I wish it had happened when he was having his bad streak a few weeks back, but I suppose now is just as good. Perhaps Vonzell will finally go next week, leaving the top two as Bo and Carrie, as many people have predicted.    

American Idol contestant out on best week

AI Forum Moderator
grammaof6
SuperFan

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2005, 04:40:12 AM »

www.drudgereport.com
No 'Idol' before us

Tonight, either Bo or Carrie will triumph
and become the worst 'AI' yet

So it comes down to this: a cut-rate country singer vs. a man who does the least credible impersonation of a rock star since Pat Boone.
Tonight at 8, millions will witness the ­season's final smackdown of "American Idol" on Fox.

It pits Carrie Underwood against Bo Bice.

She's a Nashville striver so ­plastic she makes Shania Twain seem like she was born in a holler. He's a should-be lounge singer who somehow mistook himself for a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Wouldn't it be great if both could lose?

Alas, no such tender mercy can save us.

Following tonight's ­­showdown, tomorrow will bring a commercial-crammed two-hour episode, during which one indisputable winner will be declared. Then America's pop charts will have to deal with the consequences for a year — or more.

So who will it be?

It's hard not to give a major shoulder shrug, considering the still-puzzling upset of Clay Aiken vs. Ruben Studdard two years ago. The skinny Clay seemed to have more of the crowd smitten, only to lose at the last minute to his portly rival. The fact that Clay went on to outsell ­Ruben proves how odd — and off — these results can be.

I'm leaning toward Bo, if only ­because he has the higher profile, not to mention the ability to inspire more jokes on "Saturday Night Live" — a sure sign of cultural resonance.

Yet some things about tonight's show can be stated for sure.

First, whoever wins will be the worst victor in "AI's" four-season reign of terror.

You don't have to be ­Simon to know that 2005's contestants have sunk to new lows. They've suffered from less sure pitch and a less nuanced understanding of the lyrics than ever before, and that's a near ­Herculean feat.

The other twist for 2005's edition is that the two finalists come from genres outside the one that has dominated the contest so far: R&B-pop. While that gives "AI" some ­badly needed variety, it brings the singers into trickier commercial turf than ­previous contestants.

Earlier winners and first ­runners-up enjoyed the generous context of R&B, which in the past has ­welcomed ­singers as iffy as J.Lo, Ciara and Ashanti. That's because R&B is ­often a producer's medium, where sonic tricks make the hit.

Should Bo win, he has to face something far riskier: the credibility factor of rock. And at the moment he has less of it than Donny Osmond.

Carrie has to deal with the fact that country music favors Nashville ­insiders, which could well hurt her potential fan base.

Then again, at this point the vast "AI" fan vortex and hype machine represents a genre unto itself. It's a universe of cheesiness every bit ­as popular, and undying, as Velveeta.

Tonight, be ready to choke down the heftiest slice yet.

Bo Bice

HOME: Helena, Ala.

FAVORITE POP STARS: Matchbox Twenty, Sheryl Crow.

SONG LIST INCLUDED: "Satisfaction," "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," "Time in a Bottle," "Drift Away."

WHY HE'LL WIN: His style ranges from Lynyrd ­Skynyrd to the O'Jays. Has guts — he sang his last song, "In a Dream," without music.

WHY HE WON'T WIN: How can "AI" go with a hard rocker with a drug rap sheet, but no pop music chops? What will he sing on the Christmas special?

Carrie Underwood

HOME: Checotah, Okla.

FAVORITE POP STARS: George Michael, Kelly.

SONG LIST INCLUDED: "Man, I Feel Like a ­Woman," "Crying," "Hello Young Lovers," "Could've Been."

WHY SHE'LL WIN: Country rules! And she has no formal training — just like the voters. And a British newspaper already declared her the winner.

WHY SHE WON'T WIN: Too much like past ­winners, tried too hard with her last song "On the Radio." Was impressed when Randy called her "dawg." He calls everybody "dawg."

Originally published on May 24, 2005
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2005, 05:00:34 AM »

INTERESTNG READING.  I AM STILL SKETICLE ON THIS ONE AND FEEL BO IS A SHOE-IN BUT AS THIS SEASON ENDS I STILL HOLD ON TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE MY CLAY AIKEN AND WILL NEVER EVER LET HIM GO.

GOOD LUCK CARRIE AND BO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I LOVE YOU CLAY AIKEN.

HUGS RAINEY
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2005, 08:45:10 AM »

You don't need to win to cash in on American Idol
Published May 24, 2005
by Tom Jicha

Enjoy the show as American Idol presents its final performance competition tonight. A show is all it is.

It's almost irrelevant how Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood perform. Each has a solid block of immovable fans who will phone in their votes no matter how good or bad either is tonight.

What's more, even though the Southern rocker and the country crooner each will have extra phone lines to record as many of their votes as possible, the outcome will probably be determined by computer geeks and phone hackers who have figured a way to vote thousands of times.

Not that it matters. Given their vastly different styles, pitting them against each other is like putting Pavarotti against P. Diddy. What's more, the designation American Idol is little more than an ego massager and a line on a resume, a bigger deal to fans than the artists. Ask Clay Aiken, easily the biggest star the show has produced, even though he was runner-up to Ruben Studdard.

The allure of a grand prize of a $1 million recording contract was one of American Idol's hooks when it premiered. Now it is hardly mentioned, since a million dollars is only a starting point for those who last late into the competition.

It's not necessary to make it to the final showdown to cash in. Ten of the Idol finalists will tour together this summer, with the first stop at the Office Depot Center on July 12. Half or more will get record contracts.

Anthony Fedorov, who finished fourth this season, said on Live With Regis & Kelly that he has already signed to do his first cabaret gig in a Manhattan club later this month.

Josh Gracin, the singing Marine from season two, has had an album go gold, a No. 1 hit on the country charts and two other singles that cracked the Top 40.

Tamyra Gray, knocked out in the first season's semifinals, parlayed her Idol celebrity into a singing and acting career. She became a recurring character on Boston Public and got to sing in four episodes. She also landed a role on Broadway in Bombay Dreams.

Bo and Carrie already have been promised big careers. On last week's show, hit-maker Clive Davis told Bo he can't wait to begin making albums with him. Caustic Simon Cowell has gone further with Carrie. Midway through the competition, he told her that not only will she win, she will sell more records than anyone who has ever been on the program.

Vonzell Solomon, the singing postal worker from Fort Myers, Constantine Maroulis and several others who fell by the wayside during this year's elimination process, will also be tendered recording deals, although their initial contracts might not be as lucrative as those awaiting Bo and Carrie -- no matter which one becomes the fourth American Idol.

(FL) SUN SENTINEL
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2005, 08:49:10 AM »

Last 2 contestants will battle on 'American Idol'

Will it be Bo Bice or Carrie Underwood? They sing tonight on the Fox reality show.
By Adam Graham / The Detroit News

WKQI DJ Spike does not think either Bo Bice, left, or Carrie Underwood have what it takes for mass-market success.

Both have southern charm. He's a little bit rock, she's a little bit country. But only one can be "American Idol."

Alabama rocker Bo Bice and Oklahoman country gal Carrie Underwood go head-to-head with each other on tonight's fourth season finale of "American Idol." The winner will be crowned during a live 2-hour special Wednesday night on Fox.

The race seems like the closest "Idol" competition since Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard fought for the crown in 2003. But Bice may have the edge: A recent poll by Billboard.com found Bice would be crowned "Idol" over Underwood by a more than 2-to-1 margin.

Still, both may have trouble finding their footing with mass market success, says WKQI 95.5 morning show personality Spike.

"I definitely don't think they have the marketable qualities of the previous 'American Idols,'" says Spike, noting the achievements of previous "Idol" winners Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino, and that of also-rans Clay Aiken and Joshua Gracin. "Carrie Underwood has no charisma. She has a good voice, but she's no good on stage. And Bo's problem is I don't think rock radio is going to embrace a singer that comes from 'American Idol.' But if they give him a song for Top 40, he could do alright."

The winner will receive a recording contract with BMG. Bice, Underwood and the rest of the "Idol" finalists will tour the country this summer, including an Aug. 4 stop at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

DETROIT NEWS
clay_fan_20
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »

now i'm confused the same site puts out two different articles that contradict themselves  :duh

ayway i don't agree with this, i think this is being one of the best season with season 2
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2005, 11:21:58 PM »

MBADC American Idol Armchair Quarterback 2005

American Idol from the perspective of someone who's booked artists at the national-level: who we like in the competition, what works, what doesn't work, and what contestants can do to improve their chances of success.

Week 19

Tuesday, May 24, 2005: The Final 2 Showdown of Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice

Bo Bice 1st Performance: Bo Bice's choice of "The Long Long Road" as his first song didn't have enough energy to kick off the night, and he probably should have gone with "Vehicle" first. There were a couple of pitch problems--one small one during the first verse, one small one on the last note, but had excellent stage presence, and we agree with Randy that Bo can sing anything. As for the imaging, although that particular pair of shades was better than last week's, again we say kill the shades so the audience has an opportunity to connect...especially if you have beautiful eyes. Tips for success: Better song selection, and no shades onstage.

Carrie Underwood 1st Performance: On "Inside Your Heaven" Carrie Underwood was all over the place on the chorus, and it wasn't a good song for her at all. She also seemed to be pushing too hard, risking blowing out her voice. As to Paula's saying "But who cares?" regarding the pitch problems, our webmaster said it all: "We do! At this stage we expect perfection." As for imaging, the clothes and hair weren't overdone and were perfectly in keeping with Carrie's mom-friendly, teen-friendly, "America's sweetheart" image. Tips for Success: Don't push so hard, don't strain, work on hearing yourself better in larger venues.

Bo Bice 2nd Performance: After Bo performed "Vehicle" during 70's week, the Ides of March contacted him to let him know what an excellent job he did with it. We agreed then, and we agree again. Brilliantly done. As for imaging, we weren't wild about the pants with that shirt because the line of the leg looked a little out of proportion with the fitted shirt, but that's nitpicking.  Tips for Success:  If you wear a fitted shirt, the line and fit of the pants should be perfect.

Carrie Underwood 2nd Performance:  Carrie Underwood's choice of "Independence Day" was a good one for her country-pop style, but it was almost out of her range, and she sounded strained and throaty singing it. There were some pitch problems on the chorus too. We really liked the imaging, though; the clothing was a good choice for the song. Tips for Success: Always remember that if a song is almost out of your range in rehearsal, you're highly likely to go off-pitch when you do it live with a full band and noisy audience and can't hear yourself as well. When nerves kick in, that's a lot to fight through, so choose songs accordingly.

Bo Bice 3rd Performance: Bo Bice's performance of "Inside Your Heaven" was subtle yet powerful and made us want to sing along on the chorus. We liked his version of it much better than Carrie Underwood's interpretation because the power built slowly, he drew the audience in, and we saw part of his soul, even though he didn't write it. That's what a good singer should do. The imaging was great, too. Go Bo! Tips for Success: None. This was a textbook example of how to handle a song you didn't write: make the audience believe you did.

Carrie Underwood 3rd Performance: Carrie Underwood's performance of "Angels Brought Me Here" was pitchy, and she had some notes at the end of the first verse and on the choruses that were way off, and others that were dangerously close to the edge...which given Simon Cowell's comments, we suspect were hidden at the venue by the Kodak Theatre's acoustics. The lyrics fit well and it was nice to see her connect with the song, but the pitch was off enough that we just didn't connect with the performance. As for the imaging, the dress will make the most conservative voters happy, but we like her jeans looks best. Tips for Success: Bending notes is a dangerous thing when nerves and emotion kick in, and you can easily veer too far off, so choose songs wisely.

We voted for: Bo Bice, because he was the most consistent throughout the season and has an innate sense of musicality and showmanship. Bo Bice was the only contestant who sang well in every musical genre the AI producers threw at them, he's original and true to himself.  A Bo Bice win followed by a successful album would change the music industry for the better as more labels rediscovered the singer-songwriter and signed singers who have soul instead of vocal gymnastics. Carrie's talented and has star quality and is a marketer's dream, but we just don't find her as original as Bo, nor as consistent a live performer, and for us it's all about what happens live. Plus, Bo Bice seems like the kind of guy you'd just want to have a beer with while checking out a good live band, and we like that.  

Who we think will win and why: Current public opinion seems split after tonight's performances, and we hope we're wrong, but since rockers don't tend to vote in polls, we think Carrie Underwood has the edge based on the probable voter demographics. Since Britney's proven herself "not that innocent" and Jessica Simpson has changed her image there's an unfilled niche; Tweens and young teens don't have an "America's Sweetheart" to look up to, and her smalltown  charm makes her a bit of an underdog, which America loves. Carrie Underwood also fits the mold of the Conservative culture's idea of an American Idol and is the more marketable of the two: Carrie's tailor-made for ad campaigns with companies like Wal-mart, clothing lines, make-up lines, etc. that would keep Tweens and young teens happy while still having enough musicality for their parents who like pop country crossover albums.

Who we think will be more successful and why: For quick success, Carrie Underwood, because she has more cross-promotion and marketing possibilities, but an America's Sweetheart image is very hard to live up to, and we're not sure the public would accept a less-innocent image from her. Bo Bice will probably have lower numbers for album sales but higher numbers for live performances, as well as a longer career due to his live performance ability and versatility as a singer. Singers with soul never go out of style.

Ryan Seacrest Smart Quip of the Night: None, but the coin falling through the grate during the American Idol coin toss--and Ryan's reaction to it--was priceless, and was very much in keeping with the the rest of the weird happenings of Season 4. That could've only happened to Seacrest, and the way he handled it is exactly what we like about him.

MUSIC BIZ ADVICE.COM

Commentaries on all the other weeks are available as well!
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2005, 08:11:08 AM »

A BIG HUGE GIGANORMOUS THANK YOU TO PAMMY FOR TAKING CARE OF THE FORUM THIS WEEKEND WHILE I HAVE BEEN AWAY GALAVANTING IN LONG ISLAND!

HUGGLES!

AI Forum Moderator
claynadian
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2005, 06:08:23 PM »

Wow that's mean!
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2005, 09:18:06 AM »

American Idol
A new book attempts to unravel the enigma behind one of the most iconic paintings produced in this, or any, country.

WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Peter Plagens
Newsweek
Updated: 3:57 p.m. ET July 8, 2005
July 8 - You can count them on the fingers of one hand, those iconic works of art which, via both reverence and satire, are indelibly imprinted on our cultural consciousnesses. I'd rank them: No. 1, Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" in the Louvre; No. 3, Michelangelo's hand of God about to bring the spark of life to Adam on the Sistine Chapel ceiling in Rome; No. 4, Gutzon Borglum's Mount Rushmore monument in South Dakota and, No. 5, Edvard Munch's "The Scream," the whereabouts of one version currently unknown.

Second place? Oh yes, Grant Wood's 1930 oil-on-panel painting, "American Gothic," currently hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago. Being runner-up is all the more impressive when you consider that the "Mona Lisa" comes from the hand of one of the greatest all-around geniuses of all time and enjoys the historical aura of having been painted half a millennium ago. "American Gothic," to the contrary, is the product of a merely good artist who confined his career to Iowa—where the picture was posed and painted, in Cedar Rapids. Wood died in 1942 at age 51 from pancreatic cancer, his career essentially limited by an early death to the 1930s.

As with the "Mona Lisa" (exactly who is she, and why is she smiling—if she's smiling?), most of the fascination with "American Gothic" comes from the enigma in the sitters (or, in Wood's case, standers). Most people see the man (the model was a local dentist) and the woman, posed by Wood's sister, Nan, as a husband and wife displaying a stern resolve to uphold what have come to be called "American values." Call them Red Stators. But they do look a little, well, peeved at something, too. Or maybe, as the effects of the stock-market crash rolled across the heartland, a little sad. Enter Steven Biel. Not solely to sort out what's going on in the picture, but to tell the whole story of how it got painted and what's happened to the famous image since, the Harvard professor has written a fascinating, if not wholly satisfying book, "American Gothic: A Life of America's Most Famous Painting" (215 pages. Norton. $21.95).

Among the mysteries Biel clears up is the characters' relationship: they're father and daughter. The year before he died, Wood went to Chicago to gaze at his masterpiece and talked to an art student about it. "Papa runs the local bank or perhaps the lumber yard," he said. "He is prominent in the church and possibly preaches occasionally. In the evening, he comes home from work, takes off his collar, slips on overalls and an old coat, and goes out to the barn to hay the cow. The prim lady with him is his grown-up daughter. Needless to say, she is very self-righteous like her father." The expression "hay the cow," in turn, clears up another puzzle: the three-pronged tool held by Papa is a hay fork, not a "pitchfork," which is four-pronged. Wood was a meticulous researcher, pouring over mail-order catalogs to get the clothes and equipment in his paintings just right.

You can read the complete article here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8502524/site/newsweek/]American Idol

AI Forum Moderator
mainer
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2005, 03:32:01 PM »

interesting article -- and how "American Idol" (should it have been American Idyll?) has already become common usage and part of the vernacular.  I also love to see all the references to Clay Aiken in articles that have, otherwise, nothing at all to do with him -- his name and fame having become cultural  idioms.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2005, 06:43:19 PM »

These sales numbers are courtesy of 43dudleyvillas at the Clackhouse. I'm not sure where they came from, but most likely from an industry publication of some kind.

Updates through 3 July 2005 (end of Q2 2005):

MoaM: 2,719,311 copies sold
MCWL: 1,009,735 copies sold (this is obviously too low, by about 28K -- must be those Provident sales that show up in the weekly tallies but not in the overall tallies)

*Provident was the distributor to Christian music outlets

Kelly's Thankful: 2,238,303

Ruben's Soulful: 1,773,972 copies sold
I Need An Angel: 414,314 (this total is also too low -- same issue with MCWL)

Josh Gracin, Josh Gracin: 443,451 copies sold.

Kim Locke, One Love: 204,844

Diana's Blue Skies: 158,545

Justin's Justin Guarini: 142,082

Tamyra's The Dreamer: 121,132

RJ Helton's Real Life: 21,103

John Stevens' Red: 4,364

Jim Verraros' Rollercoaster: 1,571

Corey Clark's Corey Clark: 810 (on sale for only two weeks - 557 first week, 253 second week)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx