gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:39:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 303
Total: 303

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Special Children - I wish Clay would read this  (Read 2505 times)
Clara
SuperFan

« on: March 06, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »

Hi, everybody!

This weekend the Davies Cup games took place in different parts of the world. Argentina played in Buenos Aires, won 5-0   and moved on to the quarter finals. It wasn't really surprising because on our team we have two of the top ten players in the world, Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian, and two others, Guillermo Cañas and Agustín Calleri, who are also among the best. If you like tennis you'll probably remember that Coria lost the Roland Garros final to another Arg. player, Gastón Gaudio, who could not join the team for the Davies Cup because of an injury during a tournament last week. I'm explaining this to show how big and famous they all are (in the world of tennis).

Yesterday, immediately after the presentation of the teams and BEFORE the doubles game, all of the players distributed souvenirs among the "special children" who were sitting in the front rows - many in wheelchairs - around the court. They hugged and kissed them, and had photos taken with them. Even Cañas and Nalbandian, who were about to play the game, did this. It's something unusual because it's a moment when they need to concentrate on their game. You should have seen the children's faces. They were beaming.

As soon as the game was over, there was a big celebration with all of our tennis players - even those who didn't participate in the games but gave their help and support to the official team - dancing and jumping and showering one another with champagne. The celebration was big but very short. A basket full of tennis balls was brought to the court and then Coria, Nalbandian and Cañas started playing with the "special children" who had been watching the game, many of whom participate in the Special Olympics. The players encouraged them with their gestures and big smiles.

I was there, at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club (boyfriend loooooves tennis   ), and I looked around me and every single person was either smiling or crying. Everybody was touched, particularly when one of the boys, a special Down boy (forgive me if I don't express myself properly), after playing with Coria for a little while, ran to the net, jumped over it and into his arms, and hugged and kissed him, and was hugged  and kissed in return. When the boy got down, Coria took his shirt off, gave it to him and the boy kissed it and ran all around the court, waving the shirt over his head as if he had just won the Olympics, to the crowd's ovation.

You can see the photo of the hug here:
(click on it if you want to make it bigger)

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/coberturaEspecial/copaDavis/nota.asp?nota_id=685259

La Nación newspaper called it a "soul hug" and that's exactly what it was.

If you manage to see the photo (I'll try to post it but I have never posted pictures,  blush  so I can't promise much... shame on me!!!!) take a look at the little blond boy who is being lifted by one of the teachers/trainers for him to hug Cañas. He hugged all of the players and had his photo taken with all of them. He's a baby. I wish you had seen him holding his little racket and hitting the balls with all his might. It was unforgettable.

Hasn't this warmed your heart in a way few things can? I wish Clay would read it. I kind of imagine how he would feel. Inclusion is slowly becoming a reality.

Thank you for providing a forum where these stories can be posted.
Love and    to you all,
Clara
houstonclayfan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:32:50 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing this, Clara!  Clay would be very proud that you took the time to tell the story to us. I hope he does get to read it. Thank you so much  Hug   I am glad that you had a great time.

Clara
SuperFan

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 01:18:08 PM »

You POSTED THE PHOTO, Colleen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you soooooooo much!

By the way, I forgot to say that they played on what we call "polvo de ladrillo" = brick powder. In English, this kind of surface is called "clay".
How very appropriate! Hehehe...

A  Big Hug! to you...
Sorry.
A    to you three,
Clara
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 04:55:45 PM »

Clara, thank you for this wonderful story!  It is amazing to notice such selfless acts of thoughtfulness now, and I love that they are becoming more publicized as well.  This story just filled me up and those pictures are just beautiful.  

If anyone here posts anywhere else, I hope you will share this thread so everyone can see it.  

Thank you Clara!  And thank you Colleen for posting the pictures!

Huggles
Clara
SuperFan

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 12:05:34 PM »

Hi!
To follow up on this, from the Pacific Life Open (tennis tournament) in Indian Wells, CA:

In an unprecedented show of support from the world's greatest players, a total of $18,282.76 (without including revenue from ticket sales) was raised for UNICEF, from Friday's special night at the Pacific Life Open. Stars from both the ATP circuit and the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour put on a crowd-pleasing show to raise funds and awareness. The event launched a new global partnership called ACE (Assisting Children Everywhere) aimed at harnessing the power of tennis to help ensure the health, education and protection of children everywhere.

ATP players participating were Roger Federer, who hosted the ATP Foundation event, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, Marat Safin, Carlos Moya, Andre Agassi, David Nalbandian, Guillermo Coria, Paradorn Srichaphan and Tim Henman. Sony Ericsson WTA Tour players who played and also helped pass UNICEF buckets through the crowd to collect funds were Kim Clijsters, Elena Dementieva, Amelie Mauresmo and Daniela Hantuchova. Lindsay Davenport, Taylor Dent and Lisa Raymond also raised funds for UNICEF at a pre-event gathering at the Indian Wells Village Stage.

Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian played for children with disabilities last week    and for UNICEF this week . I'm beginning to suspect they're Claymates.  Super Happy!!!

Love to you all,
(Ecstatic... and delirious :silly2 ) Clara
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »

Clara, thanks for sharing this, it warmed my heart!!!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
houstonclayfan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 01:38:01 PM »

Thats awesome!  Thanks for sharing news from your side of the world, Clara!  
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 01:43:09 PM »

HOW WONDERFUL THAT SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS ARE FINALLY GETTING THE ATTENTION AND "INCLUSION" THEY DESERVE.  THANKS, CLARA.  WE SHARE YOUR PRIDE.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
Dasiy829
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 05:25:19 PM »

Clara, thanks for sharing this, it warmed my heart!!!
[/quote]
  Thank you soo much Clara, I know how the " special people" feel . That story made me cry. See I know how they feel because, I have an Uncle who is fully Mently Retarted . And he used to get teased a lot . And I have a learning disability which people make fun of me because , iam in 2 diffrent classes in a diffrent room then any of the other kids . Well Iam going to be a Senior so Iam really happy . I start Sept. 9th so I cant wait . I cant wait till all those people are done teasing me . I would really appreciate it if Clay would read this because , he might have some ideas that I can use . Well thanks a lot for sharing your story too us . ( Clay ----> Iam always trying to ignore people . ) You know what people feel when they get teased Clay . You  remember . I really Hope you get too read this !! I will really really appreciate it !!!   

PS. If anyone would like to reply plz e-mail me at Dasiy829@aol.com Thanks !! =)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx