gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 423
Total: 423

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AI4 Performance Review Thread  (Read 19251 times)
clay_fan_20
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2005, 09:00:18 PM »

Thanks stellium for the review!!!... apparently Bo had a weak week.. buuu, oh well i don't think the weakest but i think this will give him a chance to do even better next week, i think is good to have a one week perfomance (if you are one of the early favorites, so you can't get voted off that easy) so the next they come full force, i say this from i can see about Bo i see him as very ambisious (sp) and you have to think that hearing simon say that constantine was better than him, it must hurt his ego lol, so he will come back full force (i hope!)
stellium
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 07:04:07 PM »

RESULTS: March 30th: My, my, doesn't Ryan look gorgeous tonight ! Perfect grey suit, his hair styled much better than usual, he is immaculate. Ryan tells us another voting record broken, outside of the finals, 32 and a half million votes.

The 3rd Group Song that we can now vote on with the other two of previous weeks is "Everything is Beautiful In Its Own Way". It is a feel-good lyric, done simply by each contestant taking a turn, and again harmony on the end.

Go to www.idolonfox.com to vote for their first single which will benefit the American Red Cross:
1. "When You Tell Me That You Love Me"
2. "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
3. "Everything Is Beautiful"

Their car commercial tonight is a rap featuring puppet heads.

The results tonight saw in top row: Nikko, Constatine, Carrie, Bo, and Nadia. Nadia is called down in the bottem 3.
Bottem row: Jessica, Scott, Anwar, Vonzell, and Anthony.
Jessica and Anwar are called down to the bottem 3.

Randy and Paula both say these are the better singers and should not be in bottem three. Simon said he would exchange Scott for Nadia, and Ryan tells him, a challenge, Scott, you show him next week you will bring it.

Nadia is sent back first. Anwar is sent back second. Jessica is out. There has never been a Top 6 male eliminated yet; we are down to six guys and three girls.

Jessica wants to be remembered as a sweet, passionate person who wants to be a star. Her reprise of her song from last night is done with strength and a great voice tonight.  
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 09:36:34 PM »

Thank you stellium! Reading through your notes and the other posts brings some things to mind.

Lindsey was not the weakest singer in my opinion; her strength was the bluesy, smoky quality of her voice.  So what does she sing?  Knock on Wood, one of the most peppy and cheery songs ever.  She should have sung Son of a Preacher Man instead of Mikalah, invoking memories of Dusty Springfield (whom I'm sure she's never heard of!) Better song selection could have insured her visit to southern California lasted a little longer.  In trying to show growth and diversity, she strayed from the path that got her there, and it was her downfall.

Mikalah was the weakest singer in my opinion, but I think her most attention getting quality was ultimately her downfall.  Theatrics and a sassy personality is great TV, but these fun loving types never last.  I didn't see season one, but in season two, Vanessa Oliveraz was the same personality type, and she was booted early as well.  Was there a similar personality in season three?  Mikalah should have sung Knock on Wood instead of Lindsey. And Lindsey should have sung Son of a Preacher Man instead of Mikalah. Again, in the auditions Mikalah was a fireball of personality, then what does she do on the show?  Sing a bunch of mature ballads.  She strayed from her true self in an attempt to not be outdone by the "older" contestants.  Although Mikalah's voice grated, with her gone, the show is kind of a snoozer isn't it?

Although I thought Anthony might go tonight, I think Jessica was voted off mainly because she just hadn't inspired a huge fan base to support her. Her song choices have been a little questionable, but Total Eclipse of the Heart was a great for her voice, and she performed it well.  The other problem with Jessica is that she is a little too Kelly-like.  Although Carrie is touted as the "country girl," I think Jessica portrays more a down home girl next door vibe than Carrie does.  As with Kelly, who proceeds to rock out while delivering snarly attitude-laden SUBG, Jessica would have shone if she would have chosen more rock oriented songs.  Nadia attempted to fill the rocker chick role with Melissa Etheridge (I'm the Only One) and Cyndi Lauper tunes (Time After Time,) but Jessica should have chosen these songs instead.  Showing her rocker side may have made her appear even more Kelly-like than she already does, but she would have had more fun, we would have had more fun, and she would have possibly attracted more fans.

Nadia is smart to sing songs that are *not* Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, even though she may be able to pull them off. Instead, she is singing Melissa Etheridge and Dusty Springfield! She is attempting to differentiate herself from Vonzell, who is so far sticking with proven R&B tunes.  This is a smart move on Nadia's part; even though she has hit the seal a few times, she gets to stay because she is *interesting.*  

Even the "rockers," Bo and Constantine have shown a consistent difference in their song selections.  I think Bo has the better voice, but  I give Constantine credit for taking more chances with his song choices as well as his interpretations of the songs.  I Think I Love You as a pissed off David Cassidy was brilliance in my opinion, as far as performances go.  It was fun, he was making fun of himself, and I consider that to be his "Grease" so far.  Looking back, he may laugh at himself, but it will be some of his fans' favorite performance I'll betcha.

Anthony may last a little longer than I give him credit for due to his large and loyal fan base.  But is just me or is he kind of boring?  He looks boring, his songs are boring, his performances are boring.  His downfall will be the very thing that got him there...the constant comparisons to Clay; even though I don't see them, and I don't think he does either.  I think his voice is fine, but he just pales in comparison to most of the other singers personality wise.  A tracheotomy story does not a personality make!

I'm not going through the entire roster right now, but I think the ultimate winner(s) will be the ones who show growth and diversity while staying true to themselves and choosing songs that showcase their talent.

It also appears that you must have a stand out performance at a crucial point in the competition to make your mark.  If you look at Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia and Clay - they each had an outstanding performance of an amazing song, and they all remained true to themselves throughout the competition.  Showing growth and taking chances can be done within the framework of your own boundaries, each of these singers proves it.  

Examples for me would be Stuff Like That There for Kelly, Smile for Ruben, Summertime for Fantasia, Bridge Over Troubled Water for Clay.  These songs were not expected, yet they were exciting and memorable.

I have no idea why these thoughts came to me; I didn't even watch the show this week!  I got transfixed by the tsunami special on PBS Tuesday night, and by the West Wing tonight.  It just occurs to me that two of the most important elements in winning this competition is that 1 - you need to stay true to what you got you there, 2 - song choice is everything!
clay_fan_20
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 11:06:40 PM »

thanks stellium for the review!!

Quote from: Pamela
I Think I Love You as a pissed off David Cassidy was brilliance in my opinion, as far as performances go. It was fun, he was making fun of himself, and I consider that to be his "Grease" so far. Looking back, he may laugh at himself, but it will be some of his fans' favorite performance I'll betcha

i loveeee that performance!! lol it was fun!
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »

Theatrics and a sassy personality is great TV, but these fun loving types never last. I didn't see season one, but in season two, Vanessa Oliveraz was the same personality type, and she was booted early as well. Was there a similar personality in season three?
John Peter Lewis in Season 3 seems to be the closest to this sassy personality-type. He didn't last that long, either.

I am still watching for that stand out performance from several members of this group that I think are more than capable of delivering one.  I think Carrie, Anwar and Bo all are capable of one. As far as song choice goes--there have been some big misses this season and only a few inspired ones.

Thanks a million, Judy!! I love your recaps!!!
Deanna

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2005, 06:14:14 PM »

Pamela said:
Anthony may last a little longer than I give him credit for due to his large and loyal fan base. But is just me or is he kind of boring?

Pamela, I was just thinking the same thing. Nice kid, not a great talent.

Pamela said:
If you look at Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia and Clay - they each had an outstanding performance of an amazing song, and they all remained true to themselves throughout the competition.

You are so right. That is the reason I became a Fantasia fan, because of "Summertime." What a performance.

Pamela said:
Examples for me would be Stuff Like That There for Kelly, Smile for Ruben, Summertime for Fantasia, Bridge Over Troubled Water for Clay. These songs were not expected, yet they were exciting and memorable.

Il'll always remember when Clay sang "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" on The Jerry Lewis MD Telethon. It was a masterpiece and to have the master being Jerry sing praises to Clay the newcomer was a moment I'll never forget.

Pamela said:
It just occurs to me that two of the most important elements in winning this competition is that 1 - you need to stay true to what you got you there, 2 - song choice is everything!

And the day will come when it'll become clear as to who the next American Idol will be. There will be a passion to a single performance that will be a grabber and will get everyone's attention.

Stellium as always great review, thank you very much.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
tessie
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2005, 06:58:46 PM »

And the day will come when it'll become clear as to who the next American Idol will be. There will be a passion to a single performance that will be a grabber and will get everyone's attention.

I sure hope this is true.

My complaint with AI is, as it always has been, that the judges make plain who they would like to see win.  This is not fair to the other contestants and I see it as a major problem of the show.

If the judges see a contestant, Carrie for example, as the person most talented and the person who should win, why don't they just pull her aside in the first place and give her a contract.

The way they do it now makes me feel as though I just watch for 12 week as they eliminate the 11 that they don't like and leave the one standing that they preferred from the start.  That is not a competition.
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2005, 06:44:33 AM »

Tessie, you are so right, and I too, hope it happens this time. The first and last time that it happened was when Clay came out and sang "Bridge Over Troubled Waters." The judges had to acknowledge his performance although, they were clearly slanted towards Ruben. Clay didn't win but he won our hearts and the title of American Idol didn't mean that much compared to support he was given by his many fanclubs.  He became the most successful all-around contestant there ever was to this date, and very likely ever. That will be hard to beat.
If there is not that special segment that will set one of the contestants apart from all of the others, it will be a sad day for American Idol.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
stellium
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2005, 06:40:29 PM »

I agree,  Tessie,  just once I would like to see the judges smarten up and let America decide.   What a surprise that would be.

We are ready for a new show this week,  and certainly the men will have to worry when not one guy has been voted off in the Top 12 up to now.   Will they allow just two girls to be left this early?   I don't think so.  

I'd say the bottem three are Nikko,  Anthony,  and Anwar since they all have already been in the Bottem Three.    Bo, Constantine, and Scott never have been.    But just one disastrous performance would make a big difference.
stellium
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2005, 06:36:54 PM »

MUSICALS: Ryan tells us it is Classical Musicals with difficult arrangements, not easy to sing.

1. Scott : - "The Impossible Dream" (Man of La Mancha) -
1-866-43657-01- He tells us that he doesn't know much about this category, so he called his mom who told him about this song, the story of Don Quixote, and he felt "it kind of fit my life".
Scott is well-dressed wearing a dark suit and blue shirt, he appears more dignified and serious tonight. The band is very loud as he begins in a rather shaky voice, and this song is not the best key for him. He does not hold the last note well.

Randy - "Scotty", Randy says, that was a tough song to sing, and you started shaky. It was just all right.
Paula - That is the most heartfelt performance you have done. Always listen to your Mom. You're extraordinary.
Simon- Totally ordinary. From presentation to vocals.
Scott tells Ryan this was one of my more difficult, but as long as I felt good about it.

2. Constantine - "My Funny Valentine" - (Babes in Arms) (My Pal Joey) - 1-866-43657-02 - He always liked this song, and in the Pal Joey movie, it starred Frank Sinatra. He thinks it is a sexy song. He is dressed nice in a dark jacket and print shirt. Using quite a bit of eye signals to the camera tonight, he performs this familiar song in his own style and rhythm, with a great glory note on "stay" and ending the song on his own original high note where it is not always heard.

Randy - (Paula is giving him a standing ovation) You're not a rocker. This is the best you've ever sang, of everything you have done. Hot !
Paula - The first step is admitting it, I lost it. I admit I'm falling in love with you. You are the perfect role model of why guys should get into musicals.
Simon - You are growing in your confidence. I'll give the vocal a 7 and the pouting a 9 and a half. That was the best pouting we have ever had on American Idol.
Ryan asks him why he is familiar with this music , he tells that he has performed in "Rent", has been on the stage acting, and they couldn't do anything modern this week.

3. Carrie - "Hello, Young Lovers" - (The King and I) - 1-866-43657-03 - She learned this song in just a few days. She looks stunning in a sky blue dress, knee length. It has a halter top around behind her neck, and one side of her blond hair is swept back in curls. She begins this song on a perfect tone, stays in pitch and sounds poignant in her delivery. She has a dramatic pause at "not really by chance", and then belts out the finish. Sounded gorgeous, really Broadway classical. No worry if she would hit those notes.
She pronounces each syllable with clear diction. She nailed it.

Randy - What is amazing about you, you stay in tune, you are controlled, brilliantly, good job. Really boring song, but the mark of a truly great singer, you sang it well.
Paula - You look simply stunning, your performance was elegant, your audience swelling with you as you rise to the big notes. Your vocals are a well-oiled machine.
Simon - It was like watching an old soap powder commercial. in 1965. It was too old fashioned. You sang it very well.

4. Vonzell - "People" - (Funny Girl) - 1-866-43657-04- It took her three hours to choose a song, she thought this one would show off her range. Vonzell is very pretty and elegant in a strapless silver-white dress with embroidered black design, her hair swept back on top, and black jewelry complimenting it all with her bracelet, necklace, and earrings.
Her vocals are powerful and beautiful, and she competes with Barbra Streisand in a sweeter way with a higher range.

Randy - You get better every week. A girl might win this competition.
Paula - This is your type of song. You sang it in the same key that Barbra does, but you reached higher than she does.
Simon - I thought it was rather clinical, it leaves you cold.,

5. Anthony - "Climb Every Mountain" - (Sound of Music) - 1-866-43657-05 - He was told that a nun sang this song in the story, and he thought it would make an inspirational song to sing. He wears no glasses again tonight, a blue striped shirt and white pants. His voice does not begin strongly, and some of the stronger passages sound off key. His eyes are a little too happy for the feeling of these lyrics.

Randy - I did not like that. It was sharp and flat.
Paula - It was an interesting choice of song, and the band did a nice twist to it. You did a good job.
Simon - Hideous. Everything was horrible.

6. Nikko - "One Hand, One Heart" - (West Side Story) -1-866-43657-06 - He loves this musical, and thought this song beautiful when he heard it. He looks so stylish in a dark vest, white dress shirt, and dark slacks, with a shiny black hat. His tie is polka dot, and the same pattern is seen on the back of his vest. There is a duet on the track he sings to, and a lone guitar that is counterpoint to him, making it a very fascinating arrangement that works  well with this song. He sounds R&B and Jazzy at the same time.

Randy - Keep it contemporary, as you always do with your R&B. It wasn't your best, but I really liked it.
Paula - You are the Come Back Kid, a true epitome of the R&B singer.
Simon - Whoopee. The first notes were out of tune, with your big note at the end.

7. Anwar - "If Ever I Would Leave You" - (Camelot) - 1-866-43657-07 - He thought it was a beautiful song from this show, either the one with Richard Burton or the later one of the movie. Looking sharp in a long grey jacket with a blue print scarf, he sings in a high beautiful tone, his expressions are very sincere. He modernizes the song with his rhythm.

Randy - Welcome back, you are one of the best singers with the best voices we have here.
Paula - Technically the best singer, and the moment you smile, you melt people's hearts.
Simon - You seem very comfortable up there.

8. Bo - "Corner of the Sky" - (Pippin) - 1-866-43657-08-
Musicals are not his things, so he stuck his fingers into a bunch of song titles and this one came up as he crossed his fingers. He's wearing red wet-leather shirt and leather pants, his hair down, trying to find the tune to this song, which is not obvious except in the bridge. Especially the word "sky" is always off pitch. He finishes strong, as usual.

Randy - Consistently great. You are one of my dawgs.
Paula - You are a winner . Brilliant.
Simon - This is the second of two bad weeks for you. That was a mess. You'd better pick yourself up next week.

9. Nadia - "As Long As He Needs Me" - (Oliver) - 1-866-43657-09 - She has had someone that she stuck by no matter what he did, so this song means a lot to her. She looks gorgeous, so sophisticated with her hair darkened brunette and wearing a full-lenth white dress loose off the shouders and in a soft clinging material. A passionate and sincere performance, singing in a low sexy tone, beautiful.

Randy - Great performance !
Paula - You look lovely. It was a good job.
Simon - That is the strongest you have been in 3 weeks. But don't let Ryan choose the theme any more.

E9
stellium
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2005, 07:56:14 PM »

RESULTS: April 6 - TOP NINE -

Ryan tells us another voting record broken outside of the finals, 32.8 million votes. He also announces that the single voted for "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", and the voting numbers were so large, that all three songs will be on their single, the profits to go to the American Red Cross.

Fantasia is the guest singer tonight. Her hair has been highlighted in a new style, her face is heavier than last year, and she wears an orange leather jacket, jeans, and high boots with very high heels. Instead of the "Baby Mama" being advertised all week, Fantasia sings two songs patched together, "Truth Is" from her album, and "I Believe" which was her single. Ruben is introduced from the audience, and his head is shaven tonight. He looks very healthy and good.

Their commercial song tonight to advertise Ford is "Everybody Got Their Something."

We begin the voting results with the Top Row, and the first three in the Top, Nikko, Vonzell, and Scott are in the Bottem 3. Ryan says Bo has been worried all day he would be, and asked Bo why. Bo says he knows he could have done better, it wasn't his genre, but all three on stage did fantastic jobs and he is just stunned they are there. Anthony is asked if he expected to be there, and he agreed he could have been , he agreed with Simon last night that he didn't do well, and he thanks his fans for keeping him in.

Randy says American is confused, because two of the bottem 3 did unbelievable last night.
Paula says everyone in this competition deserves a record contract, so it doesn't matter.
Simon says it does matter who wins. You have to win. Ryan says do you still think American sees it your way? Simon says yes.

Vonzell is safe first and sits down after hugging both.
Ryan asks Nikko what he thinks happened for him to be here, the "comeback kid", and Nikko says Last night was hard for everybody, it took us out of our element, but I just feel blessed to be here."
Ryan said Scott was very nervous the last few days, partly because of the theme, and he was really nervous today. Does he expect to go home tonight?
Scott says, "I just expect that whatever God has in store for me, that's what 's gonna happen. I take my advice on a necklace that Paula gave to me, it says to embrace your imperfections, none of us will ever be perfect, we all learn every day, perfection will never come. But we can all hope to do our best in what we do every day, and I don't think of this as a downfall in my career, whatever comes, it's just another step."

Scott is safe. Nikko is eliminated. His Journey is shown on the big screen, and he told St. Louis that his selection is for all those who didn't make it there. He sings "One Hand, One Heart" as the credits roll.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2005, 10:06:17 PM »

stellium you rock!    thanks so much for the reviews!

Cry!  Cry!  Cry!  Cry!  NIKKO!!!! He was one of my fav (after bo, constantine and nadia)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2005, 10:37:52 PM »

Awww Nikko.  Thank you stellium, very concise recap!

I admit the songs last night didn't really turn me on.  There are many lovely songs in some wonderful musicals but they must not have been available.  I don't know the names but there are some great songs in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Grease, Jesus Christ Superstar...but maybe they were not approved.

That said, I thought Constantine was very entertaining, and although he's not my fave, I think he might win this sucker.

Why?

Because he is the one who will bring some credibility to the AI title.  Rock
band, stage actor, musicals, he's done lots.  Technically, he's not the best singer, but he has proven, more than Bo, that he can handle all the selected genres pretty well.  And most importantly, his experience in the industry provides him with the knowledge to make great song choices.  And, he has a large fan base.  And, he doesn't seem to take it very seriously, but yet he does take it seriously. He has the mentality.
He takes chances. He's having fun.

Carrie (much as Clay) will sell CDs without the title, and so will Bo.  I'm beginning to wonder if Bo really *wants* to win.  Perhaps he just wanted some exposure, and he sure has gotten it.  But to be tied to the 19 monster in perpetuity when he has already toured with some well known rock bands?  He may be having second thoughts.

You couldn't really blame him.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2005, 12:16:42 AM »

see, there's where i get inner trouble lol, i want Bo to win! or Constantine, they are my 2 favs, but at the same time i don't want them to win because of 19E, but i want either of the to win just for the thrill of the competition lol

Carrie doesn't do anything for me, but i think AI will make her the winner no matter what the votes say, with Simon promoting her on any show he is in (oprah, ellen), and proclaiming her in the show the winner and all, it just takes away all the fun!!!!!!!

i might be wrong and actually the votes count (insert sarcasm here)
stellium
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2005, 08:47:23 AM »

Monica,  I don't know how much the votes really count,  or if they can change the order of the names who received them if it suits their plans and needs to make money in the future.

Someone posted a percentage of votes the last group received,  but who knows if it is accurate (supposed to be from a phone company), and  in this list,  Scott was at the bottem with barely .1% lower than Nikko.  

Let's say that would be true,  and Simon and the prodcuers hold a conference among themselves and say,  "We aren't going to let Smoking Gun or any other media press release be responsible for having someone kicked off our show.   If we let them do this,  then all the sensationists in the media will come up with any dirt they can dredge up for who knows where,  to show they also have the power to get contestants kicked off the biggest show on television.   We can't let that happen."

And so since it was just .1%,  (a few hundred votes difference) they decided to let Nikko go this time and see if one week would make any difference for Scott.   After all,   Nikko had been voted off before,  and Scott had never been in the Bottem 3.   I think I would agree with that.  

In a way,  they have created a public monster here with this show being so huge with 30 million viewers for each night,   and so it will present more publicity problems and exposed pasts as time goes on.    They know about manipulation of the audience more than anyone,  and I don't think they are going to let anyone else in the press or on the net out-manipulate them !   They have to be in control.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2005, 11:53:26 AM »

i saw those totals, but i add them up, and it came %99.9 so i thought it wasn't accurate because it didn't close up at %100 or even %99.99... anyway i saw them on idolforums.com, and the person that posted those has a reputation that always put this totals and are always wrong, this time she had luck lol and posed the 3 that were on the bottom 3.

anyway, but maybe they don't decide it like in a meeting, i've read a lot of people have had a problem, that when they call they get a message that says "thanks for voting for #" and is a diffeent number than they actually voted, so they direct some calls to the contestant that they want... i've even read a person that has a record about this, when clay lost. but well this are just rumors but still makes you wonder.

but i don't think it will be that easy this year if they actually decide like in a meeting who wins... because the only one that wants carrie to win is simon, but randy wants a rocker and i think paula too (now that nikko is gone) so the judges for the first time have a different winner in their minds, not like other years they had their favorite and all agreed on that.
stellium
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2005, 06:12:33 PM »

Ryan says "Tonight we're gonna get personal." IN the Red Room last week, he held up baby photos of Constantine (same eyes!), Vonzell, and Carrie. The Theme for this week is Songs from the Year you were Born.

1. Nadia - (1977) "When I Dream" - (Crystal Gayle) 1-866-43657-01 - Wearing a very, very short drape-effect red dress with heels, she told the audience her mom is from the Caribbean and she gets a certain beat from that. She uses a strong, sexy voice tonight in a strong, right-at-you attitude.

Randy - What song is that? (She says Crystal Gayle). Out of all the songs you could have picked from that year, I did not love it.
Paula - You look stunning. That is the high. I do not praise the song choice. I wanted to get into it, but never could.
Simon - That was musical wallpaper; you notice it but then you forget it. That was an appalling choice of song. I think you could go home after that.
Ryan asks her why she chose that song, and Nadia says she's always been a big dreamer, so this represents that.

2. Bo - (1975) "Free Bird" - Lynard Skynard - 1-866-43657-02 - He tells us that his parents called him "little Bogart" when he was little, and that became Bo. Bo looks fancy tonight with a long ivory jacket, printed shirt, and large turquoise rings, matching a necklace. His hair is very clean and swinging as he moves aorund the stage with the microphone and soars with the lyrics and mood of needing to be free as a bird.

Randy - I love that song, it was perfect for you. You could have your own hit with that song.
Paula - See you at the finals. See you at the finals.
Simon - People are going to look at you running around the stage like that and say, "What the hell was that?' and no one will know what you're talking about.

3. Anwar - (1979) "I'll Never Love Like This Again" - Dionne Warwick - 1-866-43657-03 - He tells us he was shy and hardly spoke until he began to sing. His hair is pulled back and he looks sharp in a brown suede coat with a large collared shirt. Begins on a stool and then moves around as he totally gets into the passion with his tone and emotion. The audience is excited, on their feet, they love him.

Randy - I gotta give you props. You are technically the best singer in the competition. I was proud of you.
Paula - You consistently are so pleasing to the ear. Your tone and your openness are mesmerizing. Consistently great.
Simon - One of your better performances. You are as cozy and comportable as a blanket, aren't you.
Ryan asks him about getting prepared, and Anwar gives a very convincing answer of needing to get better and better, to dig deeper and deeper.

4. Anthony - (1985) "Everytime You Go Away" - (Paul Young) 1-866-43657-04 - He has an older brother he idolized that he swam in the Black Sea with as a child. Wearing a beautiful suit over two shirts, he has a nice rhythm going tonight and seems very relaxed with this song, which is a great song for him. He is bouncing around the stage and his voice soaring.

Randy - You did your thing. I was surprised it turned out so well.
Paula - Much better than last week. Proud of you.
Simon - Very good this week. A good choice of songs.
Ryan asks him if Simon's comments make it harder, but Anthony says whatever doesn't break you makes you stronger.

5. Vonzell - (1984) "Let's Hear it for the Boy" - (Deniece Williams) 1-866-43657-05 - Worked on martial arts as a child to get as good as her older siblings. She is dressed more casually tonight, wearing a shiny silver top and a tight denim skirt, making her more careful as she moves up and down the steps, stopping to sing at the judges' table and then up on the table behind them. A very strong aggressive voice with lots of spirit and energy.

Randy - This is crazy ! Another great performance from you. Excellent .
Paula - You are a bright light bringing so much joy when you sing. You are just adorable up there. Did you sing an octave higher than Deniece?
Simon - Good choice of song. Three weeks ago I would have said you were going home before Nadia, but based on the songs tonight, I'd say you are staying and she is going home. You have to make the audience want to vote for you; that's the difference in a good song.

6. Scott - (1976) - "She's Gone" - (Daryl Hall and John Oates) - 1-866-43657-06- He tells us how he feels about his style: "I'm the real rocker in this competition. When I was young, I rocked out on everything, pans, drums, whatever I could find, I grabbed it and I rocked out !" (fingers and hand signal) . Wearing a dark blue shirt loose enough to make him look better this week but more styled with an orange tshirt underneath, he thrills the audience tonight with his higher ranges and his rocking rhythm to a sensitive song. The audience will not stop cheering. Solid raves.

Randy: You low notes were rough, but you brought it home at the end. Your low notes are off pitch; a good singer would know the difference.
Paula : It's not easy to perform in from of Hall and Oates. You did awesome ! You pulled it off.
Simon: More bum notes than good. so it wasn't very good.
(audience boos and disapproves his every word) I"ve got to keep it real here.
Scott tells him, "Keepin' it real, I'm up here because milions of people at home don't have the nerve and I do. That's why I think I rock."
Ryan asks Hall and Oates in the audience, and they give a thumbs up. They were cheering during the performance.

7. Carrie - (1983) "Love Is a Battlefield" -( Pat Benatar )- 1-866-43657-07 - She looks hot in a black silk shirt and decorated jeans, as she comes out quickly rocking her voice in a perfect tone for this song. Straight hair and an intense face this week. The audience reacts to her as if she is giving them goosebumps.   She sounds exciting and very good.

Randy - Carrie rocks out ! You were pitchy, you were forgot some words. (Carrie says yeah but she covered it well)
Paula - You rocked tonight. Good job.
Simon - You needed that after last week. You gave the impression of a kitten who wants to be a tiger.  
{The way she ended it with passion and kicked her leg up,  hitting the air with her fist,  I'd say she felt like a tiger tonight.}

8. Constantine - (1975) - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - (Queen )- 1-866-43657-08 - He talks about wanting to be The Little Drummer Boy in his Greek Orthodox church Christmas production every year, how he practiced the drums until he got to do it, then he played the heck out of those drums. He look well dressed tonight in a black jacket with a wine shirt, and his hair is getting longer, very clean and swinging. The song begins dramatically and then he sticks his tongue out to show the exciting part is coming up. Tempo increases faster, and his voice is perfect for this song. The audience is raving,  applauding,  excited the entire performance.

Randy - For showmanship, I'll give you a Ten. For singing, a Seven.
Paula - Awesome ! You are the one to beat. You've grown so much. I love your competitive edge.
Simon - That was astonishing !
Ryan tells Constantine that Simon has never used that word before, in all the shows. He says you are one of the most relaxed people on this stage.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2005, 07:41:34 PM »

Sorry I missed the show thread everyone, I was busy doing such wild and exotic things as laundry!  Such a wild child.  

I did watch the show however, and *wow!*  Here are my notes.

Nadia is beautiful and she has a very nice voice. She is a good performer and a dynamic entertainer.  Why don't I like her?  I have no idea.

Bo, Bo, Bo.  I like Bo, I really do. His voice is very distinctive and he really does have the ability to sing different genres.  Instead of kicking it up a notch, I think he has dropped it down a notch.  May be intentional.

Anwar was fantastic!  I liked Anwar from the beginning.  He is so cute, and his smile just melts me.  His voice is wonderful.  But, I can't visualize him as the "American Idol."  I can't imagine hearing him on the radio, or headlining a tour.  Do you know what I mean?  I love him though.

Anthony was better tonight.  He tries soooo hard.  I love his song "Everytime You Go Away" by Paul Young. But this song, even though it's a rocker, is a sad song, and Anthony doesn't seem to interpret any of his songs.  He sings them all with the same expression, the same movements, the same emotion.  But here's the thing - Clay would KILL on this song!  Perfect song for Clay.  

I love Vonzell!  She is so cute, and her performances are dynamic and animated appropriately. When she sang that slow song the other week, she emoted it perfectly.  She did a great job, and if her fan base is growing, she may be the dark horse of the competition. I don't think she'll win, but she'll last a few more weeks.  Her song choices have been good, except for "People" last week.

Scott, I'm afraid this may be it for you buddy.  Although I think Scott has a lovely voice, he just doesn't have the rest of it.  The look, the moves, the expression, the energy, the performance dynamics.  As a recording artist, he would do well. But as a stage performer, an entertainer?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  But he does seem to have lots of fans, so, we'll see. But, here's another song for Clay!  "She's Gone" by Hall and Oates OMG! Such a perfect song for Clay.  He could even do a medley, Hall and Oates have a real R&B vibe to many of their songs...Sara Smile, You Make My Dreams Come True, Private Eyes, Kiss on My List, One on One....the list goes on and it's a good list too.  Great songs for Clay!  

Carrie, honey.  You all know how I feel about Simon, right? Well, I agreed with Simon tonight. She tried, but she's no rocker. In fact, she seemed like a pale imitation of Kelly singing Pat Benatar. Kelly would have done that song justice.  I still think Carrie will land in the second or third place, and get a contract anyway.  She'll cut a country album and sell a bunch of them too.

Which brings us to....Constantine.  I think it took real balls for him to sing a Freddie Mercury song.  Freddie Mercury is a god to his fans, and if you've ever heard him, you know he has a unique voice and a magnificent voice.  He also got some prime treatment tonight -- the last spot, the lighting, the video treatment (although it was lame that they tried to make it look like the actual Queen video - and laughable). I still think Constantine would bring some edge cred to AI, and they need it.
But this performance left me cold.  Points for the song choice and the risk, but I wasn't feelin it dawg.

Overall, I would have to guess that Scott, Anthony and Nadia will hit the seal next week, and Scott will go home.  Or Anthony.  Maybe Nadia.  Or not. What do I know, I'm just a Clay fan.

Wink
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2005, 10:34:18 PM »

mp3s for tonight's performances, from IdolExperience.com - please right click to download!

Anthony - Everytime You Go Away
Anwar - I'll Never Love This Way Again
Bo - Free Bird
Carrie - Love Is a Battlefield
Constantine - Bohemian Rhapsody
Nadia - When I Dream
Scott - She's Gone
Vonzell - Let's Hear It for the Boy

Without the visual, Scott and Vonzell sound better. How about that.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2005, 11:57:30 PM »

i just downloaded the mp3 of constantine, i really wanted to see if he pulled it off one of my favorites song, and oh my! he did!!! and i just had to d/l the video so i looked looked and looked until i found it awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he did amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i loved Bo's perfomance, i still don't get simon's comment  :duh i guess he didn't know the song  :duh

i love my rockers! and i'm wishing they get to the top 2

Bo, Bo, Bo. I like Bo, I really do. His voice is very distinctive and he really does have the ability to sing different genres. Instead of kicking it up a notch, I think he has dropped it down a notch. May be intentional.

you know i was thinking the same thing, if he doesn't want the final contract, just the publicity i think he should be doing this later on, if he leaves now, but the time AI finishes he would probably would be forgotten.. i do hop he gets to that top 2 and makes great perfomances as before
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx