gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 247
Total: 247

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AI4 Performance Review Thread  (Read 19248 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« on: March 03, 2005, 05:31:40 PM »

With this season in full swing, it seems fitting that we have a place to post performace reviews.

Stellium has been doing a wonderful job of this all along and this thread will give her, and all of you a place to keep track of what the contestants do on a weekly basis.

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
stellium
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 02:48:49 AM »

Thanks,  Seeker,  this will be a good week to begin the review thread,  as we eliminate four from the Top 16 to get down to the Final 12 for the actual show to begin its third phase.

I'll post my summaries of performances/results here after each show,  and hopefully others will do the same.
stellium
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 07:06:09 PM »

MONDAY, MARCH 7TH: Eight men fight for the final six positions tonight. Who will make the AI4 2005 Top Twelve? One of the most talented and exciting nights we have ever seen on Idol, it will be difficult to judge who was best tonight.

"Comin' to you Live", says Ryan, "Last chance to make it into the Top 12." Simon observes it was "ridiculous" for the contestants voted off last week to say they didn't have enough air time before the show. "Kelly Clarkson at this stage had none."  Randy said it also should not be about choosing the wrong song as an excuse.  "Kelly .... Clay , no matter what song they sang,  they sang it. " Time for the 8 to perform and each give his zodiac sign:

1. Scott : (TAURUS: "It's my determination. No one can stop me but myself.") 1- 866-43657-01
"Can't Help Myself" - the Sugar Pie Honeybunch we remember so well, done with new lyrics we haven't heard before mixed in. Scott looks dressed up in a dark suit and white shirt, with his hair growing back and trimmed nicely. He shows his moves, his voice is strong with a good tone for this song, sung very well with confidence.

Randy - You had fun, this is your personality we saw in Cleveland, and for the first time it's back.
Paula - You threw in the choreography this time. Good job !
Simon - Stick to what you are good at. The choreography and dancing looked horrendous. Expected more. Not good enough. Looked like a song performed at a party.

Scott tells Randy, "I'm still confident now." When the audience booed Simon, Scott said, "You got your opinion. He can give it."

2. Bo - (SCORPIO: "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. If you mess with a scorpion, you will get stung.") 1-866-43657-02.
"I'll Be" (Edwin McCain) -Bo has the perfect tone for this beautiful song. He is dressed well in a camel-colored jacket over a dark shirt and tan slacks.

Randy - That was a softer you. You did the growlin, always do the growl. It was a little shaky at first, but it was good.
Paula - I thought it was the consistent you, a slam dunk !
Simon - Absolutely 100%, the best song for you at this stage, it would be a hit record.   At this point, I think it is your competition to lose.
Ryan asks Bo if he has sung it much before, and Bo admits at "1 - 10 weddings".

3. Anthony - (TAURUS: "I came from the Ukraine at 9 years old, and I couldn't speak English. I had to learn it, and me being as persistent as I am,  I mastered it, and here I am being an American Idol, and singing and speaking in it, and I'm happy doing it. ") 1-866-43657-03
"So Glad I've Got You" (Mark Anthony) Wow, an exciting rhythm to his voice, a great tone, looking happy and energetic, he showed a lot of passion and charisma tonight. He looks festive wearing a dark jacket with colorful designs on the side and back, a bright blue shirt.

Randy - You have found your element ! You had power in your voice. It's the best you have ever done.
Paula - It's the best we have ever heard you, ever ! Brilliant. Excellent.
Simon -   You still remind me of Clay.  You were singing a Spanish Mark Anthony, and you have as much Latin flair in you as a polar bear. It looked uncomfortable.   It was like when Clay wore the red jacket and moved so horrible."
Anthony tells Ryans that he wanted to show "a fun part of me". He plays chess with Travis backstage but gets beat a lot.

4. Nikko - (TAURUS: " my stubborness is in my song selection." ) 1-866-43657-04
"Georgia on My Mind" - (Ray Charles) - a more subdued and serious song for him, sung in a dark suit with a black shirt. He begins in a shiny brown hat that he takes off and hangs over the microphone stand. Toward the end of the song, he turns it up and finishes with a spectacular drawn-out note.

Randy - An ambitious choice to sing. The start of the song was a little rough, pitchy, but the end. .... you're finally showing us your great range.
Paula - But we have always known he had great range, remember from the auditions? That was wonderful ! I can't imagine the Final 12 without you in it.
Simon - A perfect song choice. It wasn't as good in the beginning, but everyone will remember that last note.
Nikko tells Ryan he thinks of his beloved St. Louis when he sings it.

5. Travis - (ARIES: "It gives me confidence to succeed, whether on the stage or on the soccer field.") 1-866-43657-05
"Every Little Step I Take" - (Bobby Brown) - He moves around the stage with graceful dance moves, looks and sounds perfect for this rhythm and emotion of the song. He wears a grey hat, striped shirt with suspenders, looks cool and hot.

Randy - I'd give you an A for performance, but only a D for pitch. You were not on key until the bridge, and then you were all over the place.
Paula - I thought it was pretty special. You are different, you bring something unique to this competition.
Simon - I don't mean to be rude, but that was appalling. It was equivalent to an act in a theme park. Dancing not good enough at this stage of the competition.
Travis admits to Ryan that the nerves hit him this week, realizing it was for the Final 12. "Help me out, America", he smiles into the camera. His face is so happy and gorgeous.

6. Mario - (GEMINI: "I have had fun, but now I'm doing something serious, my duality that is Gemini.") 1-866-43657-06
"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?" - He sings in a tender, personal way to the camera, looking staight at us with a sweet and serious face. No hat tonight, and his dark hair is very curly. A tan jacket over jeans.

Randy - "I like you, Man. Ambitious song. Excellent. You need to be in the Top 12."
Paula - "I have goosebumps. You were so tender, you can sing a ballad. Gorgeous. Thank you."
Simon - " I liked what you have done before. You have a charm about you. That is part of your appeal. You will sail through because of that. You're not the best singer, but you will do great. "
Mario told Ryan he thought people would want to hear another side of him.

7. Constantine - (VIRGO: "I am hard on myself, overly-critical.") 1-866-43657-07
"Every Little Thing" - (Sting and Police) - a good song for him tonight, just enough rhythm and energy for him to show his personality, and his voice has a great tone for the melody. He also wears a dark jacket with a black shirt, unbuttoned, and jeans.

Randy - Great song for you. You have star potential. You were in tune and on pitch, it was good. Not the best voice, but you have star potential.
Paula - Charisma ! There is a magical thing about you ! (Constantine lets out a surprised noise at this and smiles at Paula, sticking out his tongue.) That is my favorite performance by you so far.
Simon - A bad impersonation of Sting. (the judges all disagree strongly, and he tells them, "you have lost the plot')

8. Anwar - (TAURUS: "I go after a target with full force.") 1-866-43657-08
"What A Wonderful World" - (Louis Armstrong) - Once again, he takes a standard song and makes something amazing out of it. He seems to get lost totally into the music, and his soaring voice brings people to their feet. Looking very nice and dressy in a dark ribbed sweater and grey slacks, his hair is pulled back behind his neck tonight, revealing a handsome face and hypnotic eyes.

Randy - (gives him a standing ovation, "something I don't do very often") - The best vocal I have heard this season !
Paula -  (standing with Randy) Your voice is an instrument and you are the whole orchestra. You take a risk on a song we have all heard, and you breathe new life into these songs. It's beautiful.
Simon - You are everything a music teacher should be. You are nice, you have a great voice, and it feels like we could have little puppies on the stage . What I really like about you is that I think you are a very genuine guy who would not change one iota if you won this competition. You and Paula should marry and have children; that would be very nice.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 10:44:45 PM »

thanks stellium!.. i think i'm the one that enjoys your reviews more! lol not being able to watch the show until next week.

i was reading Clay being mentioned like 3 times?? what were those times??
stellium
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:56:39 AM »

At the beginning,  after Simon saying it didin't matter if they had camera time ahead of time,  Randy agreed and said,  "Talking about song choice,  Kelly, Fantasia, Clay,  it didn't mater which song they were given,  they sang it !  And did a good job with it.   You have to sing the song."

The other two times were with Anthony,  of course:  Simon saying he reminded  him of Clay,  and then after saying Anthony had as much Latin flair as a polar bear,  telling him he looked uncomfortable with the rhythm,  as when Clay wore that red jacket and it was horrible.

I'll add it to my notes.   Thanks for reminding me.
stellium
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 07:24:08 PM »

TUESDAY, MARCH 8TH : Eight girls in the last semi-final tonight to determine the final six to go into AI4 2005 season. Ryans tells us they have had a very emotional and upset rehearsal day, going from anxiety to excitement.

1. Amanda - (GEMINI: Versatile but indecisive.) 1-866-43657-01 -
"River Deep, Mountain High" - (Tina Turner) - Her hair is curled and she has on a lovely print top that is laced up the back. Big smiles all through her performance, she sings in a happy voice that is on pitch and has a bright tone to it. She never hits a really exciting high with the song.

Randy - It was good. It's a tough song to sing. Ok, not like the bomb or anything.
Paula - It was good. It's hard to follow in the footsteps of Tina. You have a good chance to stay in the Top 12.
Simon - I don't agree. You look great tonight. You did not come close to Tina, you ended up showing yourself to be an average singer.
(Amanda tells Ryan that as the weeks go by, the girls are getting closer, "Bonding like soldiers in a war."

2. Jamay - (LIBRA: romantic, girly stuff) 1-866-43657-02 .
"Dreaming of You"  (Selena). Her hair pulled back with a black scarf and wearing a sharp white pants suit, she looks darling. But the song is quite off pitch and never delivers the romantic effect intended.

Randy - That was really, really pitchy. Only 5-6 notes were in tune. One of your worst performances.
Paula - I'm being honest now - it was pitchy. Not your best performance. But you have lots of fans out there who can still vote for you.
Simon - Let me do the horoscope thing, since we are doing that this week. I see a suitcase and plane ticket tomrrow. I think you can't last another week.

3. Carrie - (PISCES: About fish, and I like to fish, but I don't use bait, and always throw them back, because Pisces are compassionate and kind.) 1-866-43657-03 .
"Because You Love Me" (Jo Dee Mesina) - Carrie sings in a quiet and tender attitude, showing her sweet voice with a trace of country in it. She wears a rather unusual top with a silver covering for her bodice. Her voice is a not quite as strong tonight.

Randy - You are one of the best natural singers in this competition, but you sounded nervous. (Carrie says, "Yes, you guys scared me.")
Paula - You have one of the most controlled and trained voices in the competition. But you are missing the fun and glory of who you are, who we have seen you be. Where is the spark we saw.
Simon - I said before you have a good chance to be one of the finalists, and I don't think I was wrong. But you are looking old-fashioned. (Carrie says, "I am !") Simon tells her its one of her endearing qualities, but that song was safe, almost boring. Your sound is fantastic. You"ll be voted through.
(Carrie tells Ryan anything she sings will have country to it.)

4. Vonzell - (PISCES: Imaginative. Escapes reality.) 1-866-43657-04 .
"R-E-S-P- E -C-T" (Aretha Franklin) - Her magenta hair is cured tonight, and she wears a white cowgirl hat with high white boots and a short denim vest, prancing around the stage very happy and with high energy for this classic song. Her voice gains respect !

Randy - There you are back now ! Better than the last few weeks.
Paula - You have such a great spirit. You have fun, you take risks. You are a great girl.
Simon - Okay performance. I'm not sure what you are trying to be. All you need is a lasso.
(Vonzell tells Randy she is all alone in California, so her dad came out and brought her this hat and these boots.)

5. Nadia - (CAPRICORN: Go getter. Ambitious. ) 1-866- 43657- 05 .
"Try a Little Tenderness"  (Otis Redding) - In a short skirt with a pink ruffle and a black top, she looks original and funky tonight. She begins the slow ballad version of the song, and suddenly kicks it up into a strong rhythm and blues performance. She uses aggressive movements and facial expressions to show her emotions, really getting the crowd into it.

Randy - I love watching you. When you first began, I thought oh no, but you turned it into your own blues and rock thing.
Paula - You have the knack of picking the right song for you. Brilliant ! You have the X factor that sets you apart.
Simon - Amazing. A young Tina Turner. What I like about you is this evening has been boring up to now, but you have the best performance so far. It will pay off.
(Nadia tells Ryan she just heard this song for the first time four days ago and loved it, so she learned it.)

6. Lindsey - (AQUARIUS: she doesn't fit the cool objective description, because she gets so emotional about everyone.)
1-866-43657-06 .
"Don't Want to Miss A Thing"  (Aerosmith) - In a blue sleeveless top and wide black culottes, she is elegant and sophisticated tonight singing a love song with passion and her good strong voice. For some reason, the music is extra loud and so are the background vocals, threatening to drown her out. But she prevails over them.

Randy - Wow, a husky smoky performance. Not the bomb, but pretty good.
Paula - I am a fan of your sultry voice. But I can't feel you. I don't think you have picked the songs to show off the voice I love.
Simon - You are the equivalent of Ryan. You look the part, you do everything right, but you are disappionting.
(Randy tells Ryan to get him, so Ryan jumps over the table and throw water on Simon, who must jump away from the table, and gets his pants wet."

8. Mikhala - (CAPRICORN: Quiet and shy. Just kidding !)
1-866-43657-07
"Somewhere" from "West Side Story". Very subdued looking in all black pants and top, with her hair pulled back, she sings in too low of tone most of the time and is off pitch dreadfully. LaToya sang this song so beautifully last season.

Randy - Interesting song choice. Shaky and pitchy in spots. You are a risk taker. You're fearless to sing that song like that.
Paula - You idealize Barbra Streisand, don't you ? (Mikhala says she respects her.) You tackled a tough song. It started shaky, but you nailed it at the end. You throw caution to the wind, you just jump into it.
Simon - The first part was hideous. It was like a sleeping pill. Just awful. A 17 year old singing Barbra Streisand. I don't think you were taking a risk, I think you thought it was a supposed safe gesture. I don't get it.

8. Jessica - (SCORPIO: Passionate and determined. She tried out for Idol last year and didn't make it, so she came back and is now in the Final 16.) 1-866-43657-08 .
"Boys Are Back in Town" (Patti Loveless). Striking in a velvet jacket and a very low top that shows her ample cleavage, she rocks out in a low sexy voice, not doing the country thing she said last week was her niche. Nothing shy or scared about her at all.

Randy - That was hot ! Blues rock controlled.
Paula --I second that. This is your niche. You should stay in this.
Simon - With that outfit, you couldn't have chosen a better song title.
(Jessica puts her hands on her hip and seems to show if you've got it, flaunt it.)
stellium
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 06:48:37 PM »

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9: RESULTS NIGHT :

TOP 12 selected tonight. Twelve blue chairs to fill:

First group safe: Mario, Lindsey, Anthony, Vonzell

Second group safe: Carrie, Nadia, Constantine, Bo

Four guys left: Travis, Scott, Nikko, Anwar. Anwar is safe.

Judges asked which one of the other three should stay or go. Randy says Scott should stay. Paula says she is not going to pick one, because all three had so much to be proud of. Simon said he can say which one will go ...... Travis.

Scott is safe. Travis and Nikko are out.

Four girls left: Jessica, Mikhala, Amanda, Janay.

Jessica is safe first. Randy is asked which one should stay of final three, he thinks Mikhala. Ryan says yes, Mikhala is safe.

Amanda and Janay are out.

FINAL 12 for American Idol Season 4:

Mario, Anthony, Constantine, Bo, Anwar, Scott.
Lindsey, Vonzell, Carrie, Nadia, Jessica, Mikhala.

Next week the regular season begins on Tuesday night.    Paula tells them all to take big risks and go for it.
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 06:17:18 AM »

Stellium, I really do enjoy your reviews... a gigantic thank you  for taking the time it takes to document the weekly shows.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
clay_fan_20
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 07:08:46 AM »

thanks stellium for the reviews!!... i'm so mad nikko left, he wasn't one of my favorites but he deserved to be on the top 12... and i'm sad for amanda, but oh well!
stellium
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 10:18:28 AM »

Don't you wonder,  with the boys being so much better than the girls,  if the girls won't be hard-pressed to get enough votes to stay on?    If the guys are better,  I know I'll be voting for them long before I get over to the girls side with their call numbers.   There is only so much time to get them all in.  

With 12 in the field,  the votes are always so strung out,  no one has to get that many to be a winner.   But at the same time,   no one has to get that many less to go home !

I will post my summary notes on Tuesday night after I get them all typed in.   It takes me awhile.
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »

If the boys continue full steam ahead, and the girls don't recover from their two previous Tuesday night lackluster performances, it's a slam dunk that they'll be loosing in the headcount. But always the optimist, I'm still looking forward to the matchup.

Is it my imagination, that some of the vocals from the girl's side seemed weak, due in part to the overproduction of their segment by AI? And another unanswered question is can they take the scrutiny of being compared to the men. Throw in theme nights, and it should very interesting as to what goes down, voting-wise.

The first of the three nights for the semi-finals, the girls did get it right and I remember thinking that they were awesome. It's possible they could pull it off again. I love the guys but there is something in me that loves a good competition and I pulling for the girls to show their stuff. Carrie and Nadia and Jessica, you can do it girls, all you have to do is believe.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
stellium
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 07:17:27 PM »

These are my notes tonight to recap the performances, with songs from the 1960's.

TUESDAY: MARCH 15: TOP 12 PERFORMANCES :
We begin the regular season this week with the exit of Mario and the re-entry of Nikko for the final twelve. We can look forward to Live performances, a large audience theater, and finally, the guys and gals together .

(Those who attended the taping of the show Monday night reveal that it will not be live so that all 12 can be fit into one hour)

"This is where it gets huge," say Ryan. A bigger platform stage, a bigger band. He announces that Mario has left for personal reasons, and a welcome to Nikko back in. He is shown talking to the group of Final 12 last week after the show telling the theme for this week, the 60's. Constantine and Bo twists for him when he asks.

1. Jessica - "Shop Around" -( from 1960, Smokey Robinson) . She comes on strong with her low voice and aggressive confidence. She is wearing a white applique jacket with her jeans, and her hair is curled around her face. 1-866-43657-01
Randy - Not unbelievable, a little pitchy, ok.
Paula - I dig your vocals, you got it goin' on.
Simon - I found it boring and average.
(Her family and friends are in the audience, which boos Simon loudly.)

2. Anwar - "A House Is Not A Home" (Burt Bacharach) - He looks perfect tonight, wearing a long deacon's black coat, his hair pulled back behind his neck, a black shirt with ruffles down the front. It is a slow ballad in his beautiful voice with a strong ending and his own version of the last few notes. 1-866-43657-02
Randy - I expected you to really be on tonight, poppin', but that was just safe. (Many boos from the crowd to Randy)
Paula - We are used to your voice being more open. Your voice is flawless, you are simply exquisite.
Simon - You look great, you have a presence. You have a great voice. Don't get boring, because you're not.

3. Mikhala - "Son of a Preacher Man" - (Dusty Springfield) She tells in her intro to the song that she chose this song because she is just going for the votes, so if there are any sons of preacher men out there, call in and vote.
Mikhala looks different in her make-up and hair again this week, more changes to her face and eyes, her hair has highlights. In a very low striped pants below her navel, and a tight beaded short top, she does not have a strong singer's voice, but personality for the song. 1-866-43657-03
Randy - That was rough. (" Aw rite, Dawg," she says)
Paula - NOt my favorite performance.
Simon - Your confidence exceeds your ability. This crowd is not booing very loudly at that, so they must agree.

4. Constantine - "You've Made Me So Very Happy"  (Blood, Sweat, and Tears) - a Motown song he heard as a child - His voice sounds just right for this song, and it has a great ending. He moves well and look nice tonight in a blue shirt and brown slacks.
1-866-43657-04
Randy - That was my best performance by you to date. Props to you.
Paula - You sounded real good tonight, and you did that last note very well.
Simon - If the prize was winning Smouldering Idol, you'd win hands down. (Paula laughs loudly.) Constantine is a great performer.  I think the girls in this country would agree. (screams from the audience)
Ryan tells him next time he comes out to talk to him, he needs to put on heels, Constantine is so tall.

5. Lindsey - "Knock on Wood" -( from 1966 by Eddie Floyd). Her voice is very low for this tonight, and then switches to a higher key at the last few bars. Wearing jeans and black top off one shoulder, she is not showing as much fun as she promised she began. 1-866-43657-05.
Randy - You seemed out of sorts tonight. I wasn't feeling it.
Paula - How do think you did, Lindsey? (She answers she doesn't know but we can always do better.)
Simon - 13 million TV sets turned just down their volume simultaneously .

6. Anthony - "Breaking Up is Hard to Do"  (Neil Sedaka)- He says this is a song he can connect spiritually to. He sings it with energy and in a beautiful tone, sitting on the stool at first and then moving around. His voice soars with passion. He wears a black shirt and tight black-striped slacks. 1-866-43657-06
Randy - It sounds like a song you'd hear in a bad hotel. It was low below an average performance.
Paula - It wasn't bad, but not up to par.
Simon - Akin to an office Christmas party where someone gets up to sing and fails.

7. Nadia - "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" - ( 1966, Dusty Springfield). Perfectly elegant in a silky blue dress that is shorter in front, long in back, with thin straps around her neck, she is intense and strong as she delivers the song in a fierce attitude. 1-866-43657-07 .
Randy - At last this show has begun ! Gotta give you props.
I loved that.
Paula - I'm so excited about you. You're in it to win. SO proud of you.
Simon - In a competition of hamburgers, you are the steak.

8. Bo - "Spinning Wheel"  (Blood, Sweat, and Tears)- he and his band sang this all over Birmingham. He is the rocker as he moves around stage, jumping up on a table behind the judges, and then running back on stage. He changes keys for the last part of the song. His voice is not quite as strong as in the past, does not grab. 1-866-43657- 08 .
Randy - I'm a big fan, one of your dawgs, Keep it real, you are fearless. I love you. '
Paula - You are already a superstar. Keep it going.
Simon - You know, this stage can either make you or break you. You look like you have been doing this for 20 years.

9. Vonzell - "Anyone Who Had A Heart" - (Dionne Warwick) - She is gorgeous tonight in a full-length coral dress that is styled uniquely , her hair curled, looking sideways at the camera in a charming way. Her style is impressive for this song, in very good voice again tonight. 1-866-43657-09.
Randy - Very ambitious song. If you can get control of that voice, you can work it out.   You have a very good instrument there.
Paula - You look beautiful,  you sounded lovely tonight.  You were a showman up there.
Simon - In all your songs so far, you have stayed exactly in the middle. Sooner or later, you need to be great, or you will gone within 5 weeks.

10. Scott - "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" - (The Temptations) He hits every beat with an effective emphasis and reminds us of Ruben's voice tonight. He wears a brown suit, his face is clean shaven, and his hair is shorter. Half way through the song, he walks down to face the judges and then down into the audience for a moment.  He said it was an old Motown song that he grew up and that the crowd can get into.   He brings back those clapping- stomping memories.  1-866-43657-10 .
Randy - You back in there, Man.   It was hot.   Loved it tonight.
Paula - You were having fun.
Simon - I thought you'd have a problem tonight, but you did good.

11. Carrie -"When Will I be Loved" - (the Linda Ronstadt version of The Everly Brothers) - She wants to use it to show off her personality. It's a song she used to sing a lot. Carrie looks like a star tonight, with professional make-up and sleeker hair. A gold scarf wrapped around her neck and trailing down in front on a loose brown top and jeans. We hear her distinctive open voice in this song, sweet tones that are clear and bright. 1-866-43657-11 .
Randy - I had high hopes from you tonight. It was very ok.
Paula - You did not take a risk, it was safe and boring.
Simon - I'm going to disagree with their being horrible. There are three people in this competition who know who they are musically, and you are one of them.

12. Nikko - "I Want You Back" - (The Jackson Five) - A perfect song for his high voice and jazzy energy. He sounds great tonight, happy to be back. Wearing a striped jacket over a white shirt, he looks nice with his hair cut shorter. 1-866-43657-12.
Randy - So glad you are back. You bring fun and excitement.
Paula - You did your own thing.
Simon - Sorry, but it sounded horrible. Am I the only one in this place who can hear?
Ryan asked Nikko when he got the phone call from Idol at 2:30 in the morning, did he think it was a joke? Nikko admits he did, he was crazy for a while, but it all worked out and he is so glad to be here.
stellium
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 07:18:55 PM »

WEDNESDAY: THE RESULTS SHOW:
One contestant going home tonight. In the first Live show on this stage, Ryan announces that close to 30 million votes were cast last night, the most for the show except for the finals.

They are beginning a new process of allowing the voting audience to choose which single the Top 12 should put out this year. They will perform three groups songs, one each week, and then we will vote which one we like best. The profits from the single will be used for charity, going to the American Red Cross.

The first song is performed tonight, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", the song which Anthony sang in Hollywood for his audition. Carrie and Vonzell have outstanding parts in this song, while Mikhala and Anthony do not hit the best notes.

Ruben is in the audience, and he looks great, rested and well turned out. It is time for the results to send one person home.

In the back top row is Constantine, Nadia, Anthony, Lindsey, Bo, and Carrie. Lindsey is called down first in the bottem three vote getters.

In the front bottem row is Vonzell, Nikko, Jessica, Anwar, Mikhala, and Scott. Mikhala is called down next, and then Jessica. Ryan asks the judges to comment on the three, and Simon said America listened to him. Paula laughs loud and long. Randy shakes and buries his head.

Jessica is safe first. Ryan is tricky with Mikhala and says to her, "It's bad news" .... "you have to wait 3 minutes until after this commercial to find out who goes." Right then everyone knows it is Lindsey who will go, or he wouldn't have teased Mikhala like that and laughed about it. Very insensitive.

After six minutes of commercials in two sections, Lindsey is finally told she is voted off, and a short review of her is shown on the big screen, stressing her good points and how much Paula liked her voice.

She is asked to sing "Knock on Wood" again, and she immediately goes down to shake each judge's hand and then sings on the table behind them, as Bo did last night. All of the contestants come out on stage to say good-bye to her, but she doesn't see them as she sings to the audience until the show is over.
stellium
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 07:18:07 PM »

MARCH 22:   The Top 11;  The Billboard No. 1's:

This week the contestants will be allowed to choose any genre they like as they choose a song to sing that has been #1 on the charts of Billboard. What will be the best song for each to choose to fit his/her style?

To announce the theme for this week, Ryan presents each one of them with a wrapped gift. It is Fred Bronson's 2004 white book, "The Billboard Book of No. 1 Hits", and Ryan introduces Fred as "the chart guru", and for a great surprise, Fred comes out into the red room to meet them all ! He tells them they have 933 number one songs to choose from.

1. Anthony - "I Knew You Were Waiting for Me " - Aretha Franklin and George Michael - 1-866- 43657-01 -
Anthony told us he chose this because he believes in good things going to happen. He was energetic and up for the performance, wearing a brown suit jacket with fringes on the lapels. His voice soars with excitement.

Randy- A good choice tonight, Anthony's back !
Paula - You came back strong, you would make Aretha proud, you would make George proud.
Simon - You tried to be sexy, but ...... Paula asks the girls in the audience, "Was he sexy?", and they roar their approval.

2. Carrie - "Alone" - Heart - 1-866-43657-02- She tells us she has been singing country, but tonight she wants to take a risk and sing a rock song. She comes out with her hair curled, in a black and white outfit that looks more modern than she has in the past. Her voice hit every note with thrilling tone and she gave goosebumps with her delivery.

Randy - Wow! One of the best you've ever done, you came alive tonight, beautiful.
Paula - She had the wonderful opportunity of working with Ann and Nancy Wilson on the video for this song, and talk about taking a risk, you have taken them on brilliantly.
Simon - You're not just the girl to beat, you are the person to beat. I'm going to make a prediction: not only will you win this show, you will sell more records than all the other Idol winner.

3. Scott - "Against All Odds" - Phil Collins - 1-866-43657-03-
This song means a lot to him, because it speaks of what his father had to deal with. He has the energy and the voice to pull this off with strength and confidence, "Take a look at me now." First he tosses his hat, then his glasses. He gets the audience into his performance, then takes a bow at the end.

Randy - You worked it out. This is a hot show tonight.
Paula - I think you are getting better every week. You're in this to win, too.
Simon - That wasn't a fantastic vocal. (audience boos)

4. Bo - "Time In a Bottle" - Jim Croce - 1-866-43657-04 -
This has always been his mom's favorite. A quieter song for him, singing with a guitar player perched on the edge of the stage. He wears a large loose black shirt with flowers print.

Randy - That was subdued, it didn't really show your range, it was a sensitive performance.
Paula - You are a gift to the 60 million people who watch every week.
Simon - I don't think of you as a contestant when I watch you, you seem to already have made it.

5. Nikko - "Incomplete" - Sisqo - 1-866-43657-05- He tells us that Sisqo used be part of a group called Drew Hill that meant a lot to him when he was younger. He comes out in a hat with a coat draped over his shoulder like a cloak.
He gradually sheds these, showing a nice suit with a shiny lavender tie. He is really on it tonight, voice goes through all the complicated notes with a strong, exciting performance. He loves this music and it shows.

Randy - I'm trippin' on America finally seeing the real Nikko !
Paula - I have goosebumps. It was the best. Keep it up. Songs like that showcase your beautiful, beautiful voice.
Simon - Give or take a few notes, that was by far your best performance. (Paula kisses him for this.)

6. Vonzell - "Best of my Love" - The Emotions -
1-866-43657-06 - Used to hear on the radio and loved it.
She comes on very strong and looks cool in a pink top and loose grey slacks. She moves around the judges, performs on the table behind them as Paula turns around and grooves to her, she flirts a little with Simon to get his attention. Her spirit is happy and it is contagious.

Randy - All the Idol stars are showing up tonight.
Paula - You came out tonight, you took a risk tonight, and if Simon Cowell doesn't recognize it, who cares.
Simon - For the first time, tonight people are going to remember you.

7. Constantine - "I Think I Love You" - Partridge Family -
1-866-43657-07 - He wants to do this song because no one has really done it justice, it rocks. He starts dramatically as a shadow against the light, then really whips it up getting more and more excited as he finishes the song. His tone of voice is perfect for this song we remember from long ago. The scarf he wears around his neck every week is always a different one, tassled on the end this week and hanging out of his pin striped jacket. He ends by jumping up and down, joy and passion.

Randy - That wasn't my best song choice, but you pulled it off. It was a little over the top.
Paula - What you have better than anyone on this stage is excellent showmanship because you have performed so much on the stage. And you have an amazing girl fan base that idolizes you.
Simon - It was an odd fit, a rocker singing the Partridge family. It was like ordering a guard dog and getting a poodle in a leather jacket.

8. Nadia - "Time After Time" - Cyndi Lauper -
1-866-43657-08 -Nadia tells the camera about the song she picked: "I don't usually like the kind of music that are the number ones,  I like the artsy-fartsy kind of songs,  but "Time After Time"  and Cyndi Lauper......."
 She definitely looks like a star tonight, her hair pulled back and up in a Mohawk, she shines in all ways. Her face looks very different as she talked to us before she sang. Beginning is slower, then she points at the audience and snaps her fingers as she gets into it. The bridge is electrifying.

Randy - You are definitely a star on the stage all the time.
Paula - You look like a rocker tonight, you are still a star to me. Not my favorite choice of song.
Simon - That was over the top. It is like on a cruise ship and someone comes out to do a cabaret. Very old fashioned. Your weakest performance by a mile so far.

9. Mikhala - "Love Will Lead You Back" - Taylor Dayne -
1-866-43657-09- She says she had a fabulous view of the bottem two last week, but this song will keep her out of it. She sings in a low voice that is often off pitch, not a pleasant tone, with a straightforward, confident presentation. She does not appear to be a high school teen. Her hair pulled back in a fall, with a black top and slacks brightened only by a blue and silver Indian necklace.

Randy - I miss the young, fun, energetic Mikhala. Where's the young girl we met in Las Vegas? It wasn't great.
Paula - I said in the beginning you had a voice like Taylor Dayne, but the danger here is losing your own identity.
Simon - What Paula means to say it was a complete and utter mess.

10. Anwar - "Ain't Nobody" - Chaka Khan - 1-866-43657-10- "Funky. Upbeat. A little different, a little groove." He does not sound in his usual voice this week, beginning high and then getting into the rhythm. Reminds us of LaToya's great performance last year having more energy which he does not have tonight. Ends in a great note again.

Randy - An ambitious song selection, you brought it home at the end. Not your best. It wasn't that good.
Paula - You rise to the challenge. Proud of you taking on a female sensation like Chaka Khan. Incredible job.
Simon - You were inconsistent, lazy at the beginning, I just didn't think it was that good.

11. Jessica - "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Bonnie Tyler -
1-866-43657-11 - She says she always wanted to sing this on American Idol. Looking gorgeous tonight with lavender highlights in her hair, on her sequined top and darker lavender slacks, she comes out strong and delivers a powerful performance, a trace of country in her voice, she is at her best tonight.

Randy - You are happy tonight. A brilliant performance.
Paula - Brilliant. You closed the show on top tonight.
Simon - A few weeks ago, they were talking about the girls being also-rans, but you and Carrie outsang everybody tonight.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 09:19:12 PM »

Simon - You're not just the girl to beat, you are the person to beat. I'm going to make a prediction: not only will you win this show, you will sell more records than all the other Idols.

*gasps* i don't think more that Clay LOL
outthereforclay
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 12:00:35 AM »

Quote from: clay_fan_20
Simon - You're not just the girl to beat, you are the person to beat. I'm going to make a prediction: not only will you win this show, you will sell more records than all the other Idols.

Ah, but clayfan! Simon was quite sly in his announcement! I believe he actually said

"more records than all the other Idol winners!" Can anyone verify that? I just know that when I was listening I even said to my husband...

"DId you notice he said Idol winners? That makes it a safe bet, doesn't it? Since she wouldn't have to be in competition with the show's biggest star, huh?" And he just smiled and nodded.
clayistheway
Claymaniac

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 06:51:29 AM »

Quote from: clay_fan_20

stellium,

I'm pretty certain that Simon said ".......than any other Idol winner".  Immediately after he said that, I turned to my daughter and said, "Did you notice he said winner, not any other contestant?".  Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear that is what I heard.  Did anyone else hear what I heard?  

By the way, thanks so much stellium for providing these recaps every week.    You do a fantastic job summarizing Tuesday nights!    - Kathy

\"When was the last time you looked at a young person with a disability as someone who could help you as opposed to someone who needed help?\" -- Clay Aiken
The amazingly talented, sexy young man who is Clay Aiken!!!!!
clayistheway
Claymaniac

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 06:54:58 AM »

outthereforclay,

Somehow I missed your post.  I just posted almost exactly the same post as you.  I, too, heard him say "any other Idol winner".

\"When was the last time you looked at a young person with a disability as someone who could help you as opposed to someone who needed help?\" -- Clay Aiken
The amazingly talented, sexy young man who is Clay Aiken!!!!!
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 07:19:29 AM »

Simon most definately said "winner."  I replayed my tape for my husband last night, and he immediately noticed "winner."  Hubby noticed something.   eek! shocking
outthereforclay
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »

Well, my summary of last night's Numbergate (worth two cents before getting change for my opinion BTW)...

Oh, and so you know---I'm not voting anyway---didn't vote last year either. So I really have no real "right" to bitch about anything that happens. I DID vote in Season 2 and I did bitch about what happened until Clay proved that what happened was the best thing to happen....so que sera, sera!  

1. Mikalah is so very bad that I've actually become embarrassed for her instead of just tired of her.

2. Scott has a very unique sound to his voice but his facial expression after Simon semi-dissed him had me actually fearing for Simon's life. And that's saying something.

3. Anthony needs to go soon. His passive-aggressive attempts to NOT be Clay and then continually try and fail so miserably to be LIKE Clay are truly disturbing.

4. Anwar should let his amazing voice and presence guide him in song choice. He's a winner or at least should be in the final two.

5. Jessica makes me think of Kim Locke and how she kept stepping it up until suddenly...there she was giving the darling duo a run for their money at the end. I can see this happening with her, Bo and Anwar.

6. If Carrie could just get that stick out of the back of her body and start showing some movement and personality and a sense of stage presence, she'll win. Her voice is wonderful, but right now she makes me uncomfortable watching her lack of comfort.

7. Constantine needs to wash his hair, go back to his rock band if they'll still welcome him after singing a Partridge Family tune, and continue practicing that creepy look that seems to be begging for the caption, 'Piece of candy, go for a ride, little girl?"

8. Nikko will probably have to slip some greenbacks under the table to Simon before he'll hear an endorsement from from those British non-lips.  (Pauler, on the other hand, will meet him later in his dressing room.--after she doubles up on her meds, of course.) I don't see him lasting too long, even though the man can sing and perform.

9. Vonzell, as beautiful and charming as she is as a performer, will eventually NOT be memorable among the pack. I honestly can't remember the songs she's sung so far.

10. Bo has such a fanbase that any unfortunate song choice or slip in delivery will be forgiven (sound familiar?) and he'll be one of the final two. I like him fine.

11. Nadia has a good voice, although vocally she's been inconsistent. Also, if she's going to wear that hairstyle again---unless she's c ocksure of herself, she should stay away from horny roosters.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx