gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNICEF FILE: BANDA ACEH  (Read 55071 times)
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 10:32:54 AM »

HAHA Pamela!! Wondered why you didn't post the article itself!!

Do YOU know what it says??? Any translaters here?

14 Maret

Do you think the above is refering to March 14th?? (at 11:00) That is only 4 days away!!

I am sure it is all good.

Lora
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:33 AM »

PAMELA---ANY IDEA WHAT THE ARTICLE SAYS?  IT IS NOT IN ENGLISH.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 10:57:05 AM »

Quote from: Pamela
ANTARA (INDONESIAN NEWS SERVICE) news article about Clay's trip to Banda Aceh.

Yeah right.... doh  chair
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 12:21:54 PM »

Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.  Wink

I found this "loose" translation at the CB, done by dardar.  I can't vouch for the veracity, but it's probably close!

AMERICAN IDOL CLAY AIKEN will visit Aceh

American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken will visit Banda Aceh on Monday 03/14. He will be there for 3 days to visit the community & children impacted by the earthquake and tsunami in the Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam Province.

UNICEF spokesperson Lely Tiana Djuhari said on Thursday that Clay will visit Aceh in his role as honorary UNICEF ambassador. "He will not come with American Idol participants, but will be accompanied by UNICEF staff & a member of his staff, " Lely said to reporters.

He added that Clay trained as a teacher, & is very concerned about the condition of education in Aceh after the natural disaster.

He added that Clay also once trained as a teacher, and was very concerned about the condition of education in Aceh after the natural disaster in the area.

"During his visit, Clay will visit schools & the UNICEF Child Center in Banda Aceh & surrounding areas, " he said.

According to Lely, the pop star will arrive in Banda Aceh on March 14 around 11 (?), & in the afternoon he plans to visit children in the evacuation camp [near the Acehinese Regency?].

"UNICEF works in four areas namely water, sanitation, health, and the protection, nutrition & health of children."

Clay will visit other UNCIEF sites, but his main focus will be in education, he added.

Lely also said that they may include a trip to Meulaboh, but that is yet to be confirmed, he said.

In the opportunity, Lely also mentioned UNICEF at this time co-operated with Depdiknas continued to hold TOT (Training of Trainer) namely the training of the coaches against 84 principals all over Aceh so as to be hoped for by this coach could train totalling 1,000 teachers.

He added that Clay also once trained as a teacher, and was very concerned about the condition of education in Aceh after the natural disaster in the area.

“During his visit, Clay will visit schools & the UNICEF Child Center in Banda Aceh & surrounding areas, “ he said.

According to Lely, the pop star will arrive in Banda Aceh on March 14 around 11 (?), & in the afternoon he plans to visit children in the evacuation camp [near the Acehinese Regency?].

“UNICEF works in four areas namely water, sanitation, health, and the protection, nutrition & health of children.”

Clay will visit other UNCIEF sites, but his main focus will be in education, he added.

Lely also said that they may include a trip to Meulaboh, but that is yet to be confirmed, he said.

[not sure of the meaning of the last paragraph...I think it's about a UNICEF teacher training program]
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 05:58:50 PM »

80 percent of education facilities on Simeulue devastated: UNICEF

BANDA ACEH, Aceh (Antara): A United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) team has found that at least 80 percent of education facilities on Simeulue Island were destroyed in the Dec. 26 catastrophe.

Lely Djuhari, a UNICEF information officer, said on Thursday the level of destruction was uncovered through a field assessment.

Simeulue Island is located 40 kilometers from the epicenter of the 9.0-magnitude earthquake.

UNICEF has donated 350 packages of school and education supplies to the island, enough to allow 27,000 elementary school students to go back to school within a month, Lely said.

She said that within two-and-a-half months after thecatastrophe in Aceh, UNICEF had also provided other basic education materials for 240,000 elementary school students for one month.

"UNICEF in cooperation with the government of Indonesia has explored the possibility of being permanently present on the island," Lely said.

JAKARTA POST
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »

Indonesia Raises Tsunami Toll of Dead or Missing to 220,243

March 9 (Bloomberg) -- Indonesia raised its toll of dead or missing from the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami to 220,243 as 91 more bodies were found yesterday, more than six weeks after the disaster, the government's National Information Agency said.

The number of people confirmed dead in the western province of Aceh rose to 125,916 as workers dug the 91 bodies from the rubble in Banda Aceh, the provincial capital, and the Aceh Besar district, the agency said in a statement today.

The agency revised the number of people missing in the province to 94,173 after more people were confirmed dead or found in refugee camps. In North Sumatra province, south of Aceh, as many as 130 people died and 24 others are missing.

More than 270,000 people are dead or missing in 12 countries after the magnitude-9 earthquake off Sumatra island unleashed waves that destroyed coastal areas around the Indian Ocean. The Indonesian government has said it needs $4.5 billion in the next five years to rebuild northern Sumatra's provinces.

Health authorities are spraying inside 165 temporary shelters in Aceh province as part of its effort to reduce the incidence of mosquito-borne illness. It also started cleaning clogged drains in Banda Aceh today, the government said.

BLOOMBERG
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 06:12:29 PM »

Clay's trip to Indonesia is underway, so I am moving this update thread to the main forum for the duration of his journey.

Please feel free to post your thoughts, any news articles, info from other boards, whatever you feel like in this thread, it will be archived.
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Pamela
Remember that there is no way UNICEF would put one of their carefully
chosen ambassadors in harms way. I know that anything can happen, but that's true of driving down the street in LA or in Raleigh.

There are some sensitive areas in that region and lots of turmoil and conflict.  But, I dont' want all the *bad news* about the situation there to  overshadow the *good news* about what Clay is doing.

I think Clay would want us to focus on that. Sending prayers and being positive will get us all through this much easier than focusing on the scary parts. That's what I'm going to encourage here anyway.  If you are upset, by all means, you can talk about it here.

Well said, as always, Pamela, and very comforting as well.  It's difficult to keep a clear head with all the suffering, and the media shows the worst of it all, the most dramatic news possible for ratings.  It's so easy to get swept away in it.

Fear is a powerful companion.  And it's okay to be afraid.  Clay's been very open and inclusive with his fans.  We feel like we know him.  We love him.  So until he's back on his home soil safe and sound, it's normal to feel some fear for him.

I agree with Pamela.  Trying to focus on the positive things and the incredible contribution Clay is making to the world is the best thing we can do not only for him, but for ourselves.

Recognizing our fears for what they are, and having accurate and honest information instead of just the horrors the media feeds us makes the fear less powerful.

Thank you, Pamela, for making sure we know as much of the truth as possible.  The unknown is almost always worse than the real situation.  I've said it many, many times, but it's true.  You take good care of us.  We're lucky to have you.

And Clay's going to be okay.  He's going to touch lives, and his faith will carry him through.  And if he needs us, we'll carry him too.

May the Lord watch over him, and may he remember that he takes a little piece of us with him everywhere.

Godspeed, Clay.  We love you!

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

claydevotee
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 08:04:07 PM »

Thank you, Pamela , for making sure we know as much of the truth as possible. The unknown is almost always worse than the real situation. I've said it many, many times, but it's true. You take good care of us. We're lucky to have you.

And Clay's going to be okay. He's going to touch lives, and his faith will carry him through. And if he needs us, we'll carry him too.

May the Lord watch over him, and may he remember that he takes a little piece of us with him everywhere.

Godspeed, Clay. We love you!

LADY C, beautifully said as always.  I know that personally I will deal with my fears and anxiety over the next few days by simply handing them over to the Lord.  I have no doubt that Clay will be doing the same, and that he will be constantly praying throughout his venture into this devastated area that he will have the health, strength, wisdom and inspiration to be able to make a difference in the lives of those children.  What a beautiful man.  I am so proud of him.  God be with you, Clay.
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 10:53:35 PM »

LadyC wrote:

So well said LadyC... thanks for that!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 05:40:33 AM »

Because Aceh is west of the International Date Line, Clay will actually be in Indonesia Sunday March 13 US time.  

Here is a link to a time zone clock in Indonesia.  They are approximately 12 hours ahead of the east coast and 15 hours ahead of the west coast.

TIME IN JAKARTA
shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »

Thanks for all the updates Pamela. I'm sure Clay will be a ray of sunshine to anyone who speaks with him. One look from those beautiful compassionate eyes would calm anyones soul.  May God watch over him and give him the strength to endure the pain and suffering he will observe. He is a teacher.  

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2005, 05:43:30 PM »

Dr. Mori reports from Banda Aceh, Indonesia

Editor's note: Dr. Hayato Mori, orthopedic surgeon with Wilcox Health (Wilcox Memorial Hospital and Kauai Medical Clinic) is completing a medical mission in Indonesia, and sent along photos and words via e-mail.

Performing surgeries on wounded people in the aftermath of the devastating tsunami in Indonesia both on the ground and on the U.S. Navy medical ship Mercy has been an eye-opening experience for Dr. Hayato Mori, orthopedic surgeon with Wilcox Health (Wilcox Memorial Hospital and Kauai Medical Clinic), he said.

"Like Angels we fly in at sunrise. We observe the destruction from above as spectators, awed by the destruction, but not touched by it," he said.

"Every once in a while, we return some of the inhabitants of Banda Aceh, taken from their land, broken and damaged. They return from the sky, miraculously healed, with stories of bright lights and fancy machines that healed their wounds," Mori said.

"I suspect that such a story would make Steven Spielberg proud, and yet it is a daily reality here in Banda Aceh.

"It is here in Banda Aceh where doctors operate in the dark with flashlights," he said. "It is here in Banda Aceh that a child orphaned fails to show any tears.

"It is here in Banda Aceh that a husband and a father without his wife and children smile, and thanks you for examining his injuries," Mori continued.

"It is here in Banda Aceh that a grandmother walks to buy food regardless of the fact that both her tibia fractures have never mended. These amazing stories of human tragedy and courage are infinite here in this little corner of the world called Banda Aceh," Mori said.

"And every day, we leave the devastation on our wing-less bird to the comforts of Mercy, to shower, eat, and write our e-mails with a can of F&N Groovy Grape Soda to quench our thirst.

"How absurd our world is."

Mori is scheduled to return to Kaua‘i soon from his work in Indonesia.

KAUAI WORLD
CAFan5230
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 12:33:03 AM »

A lot of people have traveled to Banda Aceh and other areas devastated by the tsunami, including 2 Presidents of the U.S., but now that Clay is on his way there and I'm reading all about it on this and other boards, I feel so much more sensitized to the whole situation.  From the posts I've seen, seems like other people feel the same way.  As we pray for Clay in this important job, think of what he is doing, what he will be seeing, feeling, really he is not traveling with just one staff member, he has an entourage of thousands as we journey with him in our thoughts and prayers.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 07:44:27 AM »

March 10, 2005

Clay Aiken is embarking soon on a humanitarian trip to Banda Aceh, Indonesia, to visit and comfort children in the earthquake and tsunami ravaged province. His trip will include visits to schools, refugee camps, and the UNICEF Child Center, and will focus on education. UNICEF is working with the Department of Education to quickly train thousands of teachers, needed in schools and communities who saw many lives lost, including teachers. Aiken, a former education major who planned to be a principal, will travel as an educational ambassador, and sees getting the children back to school as a vital step toward helping their lives return to normal after the tragedy of the December 26th tsunami.

TV TOME
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2005, 06:29:39 AM »

Thank you Pamela for all of the articles on Clay. The last one posted is a teeny one compared to most, but it's all there in a nutshell, that being the education of our children is is the greatest gift we can give to them and God bless those who are willing to put themselves in danger to ensure that those in need are better served.

May he and all the others on this mission of hope be watched over and kept safe by God's angels in heaven, while they serve so many of His children who are in dire need of their help here on earth . We love you Clay.
"In the Lord we Trust." Always...

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2005, 08:42:19 AM »

UNICEF to provide psycho-social support to tsunami-hit children
By Our Staff Reporter

CHENNAI, MARCH 9. Teachers understand a child's personality, they recognise the culture in a class and are trusted by children: reasons why a United Nations Children's Education Fund (UNICEF) project offering psychosocial support for tsunami-hit children will work through teachers.

The Directorate of Teacher Education Research and Training and the Nehru Yuva Kendra (NYK) will be key partners in the project. A day-long orientation programme for 11 principals of the District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) and NYK coordinators, was held today.

Four-step project

In a four-step roll out project, UNICEF and the Vidya Sagar Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, New Delhi, (VIMHANS) have trained volunteers who will train faculty from the DIETs. The faculty members will train schoolteachers on the psychosocial module, who will in turn offer the support to the children.

In parallel, 10 National Service Volunteers in every district will also be trained on the module. The trained volunteers would train 120 NYK members in a district, who would reach out to village children who do not go to school.

According to Latha Mani, project officer, UNICEF, the programme would roll out in this academic year for the three most-affected tsunami districts — Cuddalore, Nagapattinam and Kanyakumari.

Early intervention necessary

A query was raised about the need for such a programme when the basic needs of tsunami-affected families were not being fully met. Jitendra Nagpal, a psychiatrist from VIMHANS, said that health must be viewed from a physical, mental and social point of view.

If the children's psychosocial needs were not addressed at the earliest, they might grow up to be poor achievers, he said.

Among the speakers were Tim Schaffter, State representative for UNICEF in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, and Gemma D'silva, Assistant Director of Social Welfare.

HINDU.COM
stellium
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2005, 06:48:14 PM »

I just received this from the Natioinal Earthquake Center E-mail alerts in the past two hours:
2005/03/13 22:12 M 5.6 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA Z= 53km  5.56N  94.59E

This information is provided by the USGS
         National Earthquake Information Center.
    (Address problems to: sedas@ghtmail.cr.usgs.gov)

These parameters are preliminary and subject to revision.

A magnitude 5.6 earthquake IN NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA has occurred at:
 5.56N  94.59E  Depth  53km  Sun Mar 13 22:12:46 2005 UTC

Time: Universal Time         (UTC) Sun Mar 13 22:12:46 2005
      Time Near Epicenter          Mon Mar 14 05:12:46 2005
      Eastern Standard Time  (EST) Sun Mar 13 17:12:46 2005
      Central Standard Time  (CST) Sun Mar 13 16:12:46 2005
      Mountain Standard Time (MST) Sun Mar 13 15:12:46 2005
      Pacific Standard Time  (PST) Sun Mar 13 14:12:46 2005
      Alaska Standard Time   (AST) Sun Mar 13 13:12:46 2005
      Hawaii Standard Time   (HST) Sun Mar 13 12:12:46 2005

Location with respect to nearby cities:
    85 km (50 miles) W of Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia (pop 291,000)
     300 km (185 miles) SSE of Misha, Nicobar Islands, India
     1110 km (690 miles) SW of BANGKOK, Thailand
     1875 km (1160 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

For maps, additional information, and subsequent updates,
please consult:
 http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/usvpat.htm .

Not real close to Clay, but these are continuing quakes in the area since Dec. 26,   which I think we should monitor and be aware of.   Even though 5.6 is not a huge quake as the original ones,  with structures already unstable,  it could cause more collapses and frayed nerves.

85 miles away, listed as the first in the list,  means it is the closest area to the quake.   We don't know where exacctly in Aceh Clay is.
stellium
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2005, 07:13:15 PM »

If you click on the For Maps link given,  you can see it is in the ocean just off Aceh.  

I receive this Emails whenever there is a quake over 5.0 anywhere in the world,  and I've been watching for any close to Aceh.   This is the first one in some time that lists it as the closest location.    

Many quakes each day in this area,  but most are smaller.
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2005, 08:50:58 PM »

Aftershocks continue for a long time following an earthquake.  We had them for months after the Northridge quake.  Some were magnitude 5+ which you definately can feel.  However, if these quakes are in the ocean, they are usually felt with less intensity.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx