gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 112
Total: 112

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK FEBRUARY 25  (Read 7343 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« on: February 25, 2005, 03:50:45 AM »

Morning all!

Here's Clay's horoscope for the day from yahoo.com!

Quickie:
The goal you've sought is right in front of you. All you have to do is grab it.

Overview:
Pinch those pennies as long as you can. A sudden change of plans may make it necessary to spend a bit more than you'd planned, but don't go nuts. Something may be coming up, but until it's actually necessary, don't whip out the plastic.

Daily Extended Forecast:
If only you had a couple of extra bucks .... Doesn't it feel like that's the story of your life? Well, don't feel too bad about it. That tune rings familiar with most of us. In your case, however, this situation is about to change. In the meantime, keep on being frugal -- no matter how much it pains you. Don't spend what you don't have in anticipation of what you may soon have. Which might be how this happened in the first place.

Daily Flirt:
Keep your demands for another time -- maybe as soon as tomorrow. Today isn't the day to get what you want, so don't frustrate yourself by asking.

Daily Couples:
Celebrate a success with some quiet moments alone together. Let your lover shower you with appreciation.

Daily Singles:
If you go out tonight, leave your expectations at home in the closet with that ugly coat. You'll have a lot more fun if you take things (and people) as they come, without any grand ambitions for romance.

Daily Career and Finance:
Financial issues are making you question your whole career path lately. Don't let money worries drive you off the deep end -- the solution could be as simple as budgeting more effectively.

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 03:53:51 AM »

Clay has moved up on the top 20 concert tours list!

Top 20 Concert Tours
Wed Feb 23, 2:40 PM ET   
By The Associated Press

The Top 20 Concert Tours ranks artists by average box office gross per city and includes the average ticket price for shows in North America. The previous week's ranking is in parentheses. The list is based on data provided to the trade publication Pollstar by concert promoters and venue managers.

TOP 20 CONCERT TOURS

1. (1) Bette Midler (news); $750,218; $94.09.

2. (3) Cher; $640,530; $68.85.

3. (6) Yanni; $399,819; $61.52.

4. (7) Mannheim Steamroller; $370,074; $46.79.

5. (10) Trans-Siberian Orchestra; $288,763; $38.80.

6. (8) Pixies; $280,683' $35.92.

7. (11) Rascal Flatts; $255,192; $35.56.

8. (12) Green Day; $250,334; $28.59.

9. (13) Bill Gaither & Friends Homecoming; $228,857; $25.66.

10. (16) Larry The Cable Guy; $224,447; $39.23.

11. (14) Korn; $214,249; $33.35.

12. (17) Avril Lavigne (news); $213,248; $30.11.

13. (15) Dolly Parton; $209,719; $47.16.

14. (18) Michael W. Smith; $185,609; $32.25.

15. (20) Scorpions; $177,692; $41.61.

16. (19) Clay Aiken (news); $173,685; $54.64.

17. (New) Ron White; $164,921; $38.53.

18. (New) Keith Urban; $139,481; $33.29.

19. (New) Steven Curtis Chapman; $125,756; $26.47.

20. (New) Marilyn Manson; $124,649; $34.71.

For free upcoming tour information, go to www.Pollstar.com

YAHOO.COM

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:55:21 AM »

Bucks singer moves up to the next 'Idol' round

By Linda O'Connell
Of The Morning Call

Drinking-straw-thin Bucks County crooner Anthony Fedorov, 19, continues to carry the eastern Pennsylvania banner in ''American Idol'' competition. The slightly nerdy singer — who is supplying the Clay Aiken quotient among this year's contestants — survived as one of 10 remaining male contestants after the first round of public voting eliminated two men and two women Wednesday night.

But Fedorov has had little exposure on the show so far. And he didn't get much respect Wednesday. His Monday performance was not reprised and he wasn't featured in any chit-chat with everybody's best friend, host Ryan Seacrest, whose ''do,'' incidentally is much more subdued this season.

Fedorov, 19, is from Lower Southampton Township in Lower Bucks County. His parents are Vladimir and Natalia Fedorov, who emigrated to the United States from Ukraine when Anthony was 9.

According to his mother, Fedorov graduated from Neshaminy High School in Lower Bucks in 2003.

His mother said she was worried about running afoul of the show's strict rules about contestants and their families speaking to the media — designed to keep the results from leaking out. But she did add that Fedorov attends Bucks County Community College in Newtown and on weekends sings at a New York City restaurant.

Fedorov sings again in competition Monday on ''Idol.''

Frank Devlin contributed to this story.

I just don't get it... I don't... Anthony is NOTHING, NOTHING, like Clay!!

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 03:57:15 AM »

Clay mention in an article about Biographies.

The traditional biography format doesn't lend itself to the type of routine slices of life Rosenthal has included in hers, but instead is anchored by life's 'big' events (ie. Clay Aiken sings first song). But if one is going to attempt to articulate a life, isn't it inside those small moments that they will find the best material to do so? Such as with Rosenthal's White Sock entry.

CANADA.COM

AI Forum Moderator
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 04:19:57 AM »

to Susan!!!  wave Good Morning, everyone!! wave

Interview With "Arthur Celebrity Audiobook" Executive Producer Vin Bhat
In June 2004, an organization called Stories for Heroes released the Arthur Celebrity Audiobook. The Arthur Celebrity Audiobook features an extended version of the theme song from the Arthur television show and nine Arthur Adventure stories read by some of today's top celebrities. 70% of all proceeds from the sales of the audiobooks are given to charity, with the remainder used to cover the costs of recording, producing and distributing the audiobook. The audiobook has proven hugely popular with fans of the show, as well as Clay Aiken fans.

Recently, I had the opportunity to talk with one of the executive producers of the audiobook, Vin Bhat, over the phone. Please note that the following responses are not Mr. Bhat's exact words, but the essence of the conversation reassembled from the notes taken during our telephone conversation.

Agent0042: How were the stories for the Arthur Celebrity Audiobook selected?

Mr. Bhat: We asked Marc Brown for some of his personal favorites and then sent copies of all of them to the celebrities to make their choices. We decided to go with the Arthur Adventure series because these were of a more suitable length than the chapter books based on the television series. Oftentimes, the celebrities made their choices based on a particular memory from their childhood, for example, Marcia Gay Harden had an experience with a dentist and thus chose to read Arthur's Tooth.

Agent0042: How was the recording handled? Did the celebrities all record separately? Did they ever get to meet?

Mr. Bhat: The audiobook was on a pretty tight deadline, so things were made easy for the celebrities by sending them a special recording device via FedEx. The recording device came along with a script. Although the celebrities already had the book, the script was prepared to indicate which areas should be read with more emotion. That way, the celebrities wouldn't just read it in a monotone. There was one exception --- Clay Aiken happened to be in town, so he came to the studio to record and also recorded a bonus track available for free at Amazon.com.

Agent0042: Were there any celebrities that were particularly enthusiastic about this project, perhaps more so than others? I know that some, such as Jeff Probst, have very strong ties to some of the charities that are supported.

Mr. Bhat: Most of the celebrities already had ties to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, including Kelly Ripa, Jeff Probst, Clay Aiken and Marcia Gay Harden, and they were all so very enthusiastic about supporting the Foundation in such a creative way. Their personalities really came out in their individual recordings, which really makes the product unique. Whoopi Goldberg, Michael Douglas, Tom Cruise and Will Ferrell have also been big supporters of the Foundation's cause and we hope to get them involved in future Stories for Heroes releases. You can read more about the Foundation's history here.

Agent0042: The media on the site references the "Stories for Heroes Series." Does this mean that future audiobooks might be released, perhaps featuring other characters from children's literature?

Mr. Bhat: Yes, the Arthur Celebrity Audiobook was the first release. Coming up next is "Curious George" and the format will probably be pretty similar to that of the Arthur audiobook. We're currently considering many of the major children's properties, such as Clifford the Big Red Dog and Dora the Explorer. We're also always on the lookout for other series for possible audiobooks, so keep watching or e-mail us with any suggestions.

Agent0042:Can you tell the readers a bit more about the charities and their causes?

Mr: Bhat:Sure! One of our charities is the NEA-HIN (National Educational Association Health Information Network), which is a branch of the largest teachers' union in the United States. The NEA-HIN is the NEA's dedicated effort to help teachers promote healthy habits in and outside of school.

Another of our charities is the Bubel/Aiken Foundation. Those who watched the second season of American Idol may remember that before skyrocketing to fame, Clay Aiken was a schoolteacher. One of his students was a boy named Michael Bubel, a young boy with a developmental disability. Clay worked to make him feel more included and break down stereotypes. He started the Bubel/Aiken Foundation to help others like him and the organization as a whole envisions a world where young people with developmental disabilities are immersed in all life has to offer.

Agent0042: Any chance there might be any future Arthur Celebrity Audiobooks to benefit these or other charities?

Mr. Bhat: Yes, we are talking with Marc Brown about this possibility. Our goal would be to record a new set of stories with a new cast. One of our major objectives is to provide many choices for people.

Agent0042: Is there anything else you'd like our readers to know?

Mr. Bhat: I'd like to thank our wonderful celebrities for contributing their time to this project, the partners that have helped us to promote the audiobook including Parenting magazine, Club Mom and America Online, as well as the charities themselves who wanted employ a new approach to fundraising.

I'd also like to mention our donation program (which we have extended beyond the holidays), which you can use by visiting http://www.storiesforheroes.com/ and then choosing the "Donate An Audiobook" option. This allows you to donate an audiobook for $10 and shipping on behalf of one of four great charities --- the USO, Toys for Tots, the St. Jude's Children's Hospital or the Polar Express Reading Challenge. You also have the option to purchase one for yourself (or your children) at the normal price of $14.99 and shipping and have another donated to one of the charities at no extra cost to you.

If you would like to learn more about the Arthur Celebrity Audiobook, please visit Stories for Heroes and/or Amazon.com.

TV TOME

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 04:24:29 AM »

THANKS SUSAN AND DEANNA.

SUSAN - I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT ANTHONY.  NO WAY, NO HOW IS HE ANYTHING LIKE OUR CLAY.

HOPE FOR MORE UPDATES.
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 04:25:31 AM »

Good am to Susan and M.B.!!!!  Pouring the rain...as long as it quits before tomorrow, I'm good!

hey Lorraine...hope you're better today....

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 04:26:08 AM »

Your life might not be Bill Clinton's, but it's still worth noting
Author creates an autobiographical encyclopedia on living in today's world  
Samantha Grice
National Post
February 24, 2005

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was not abused, abandoned or locked up as a child. She writes that her parents were not alcoholics nor were they ever divorced or dead. They did not live in poverty, misery or an exotic country. She is not a misunderstood genius, a former child celebrity or the child of a celebrity. She is not a drug addict, sex addict, food addict or recovered anything. If she had a past life, she has no recollection of who she was.

She has not survived against all odds. She has not lived to tell. She has not witnessed the extraordinary. And yet, nonetheless, she has written an autobiography of sorts, and it's really quite engrossing.

And why not? If Clay Aiken and Tommy Lee can find an audience for their life stories, then why couldn't the rest of us?

CANADA.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 04:29:04 AM »

COMMENTARY By Craig Berman MSNBC contributor
Updated: 6:03 p.m. ET Feb. 24, 2005Give the folks at “American Idol” some credit. They're not afraid to tweak a product that works.

In previous years, making it to the finals was a combination of skill and luck. Contestants had to stand out in their semifinal heats in order to advance, which often depended on who else happened to be in the group. That wasn't a tremendous thrill to those stuck in the first semifinal heat last year, and the five who didn't make the finals probably lost sleep wondering who they pissed off to be placed with winner Fantasia Barrino, runner-up Diana DiGarmo and eventual wild-card selection Jennifer Hudson.

But hey, it could have been worse. They could have been in the Season 2 semifinal with Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken and Kimberley Locke. Yup, the final three in the standings were all in the same heat. What chance did poor Rebecca Bond have? A full 60 percent of the Backstreet Boys wouldn't make it out of that group, much less someone the viewers had never seen

MSNBC

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 04:34:51 AM »

Good Morning Lorraine and Buddy!!!

Will "The Pride of Canada" Get a Shot at Performing on American Idol 4?
by James Shepherd (2005/02/23)
(snip)
But what about Kalan? Will Simon Fuller have Canada's pride snubbed too in the Idol franchise? It's really too bad when you consider that American Idol 4 could be used as a wonderful platform to launch Kalan Porter into the American marketplace. His performance as a guest on AI4 could be coordinated with a big push by BMG into US radio and record stores. After all, BMG in the US does not seem to mind pushing Avril Lavigne as well as other Canadian artists, into the US marketplace with heavy radio promotion.

Surely Fuller is a smart man and not worried that Kalan will impinge on the success and sales of US Idol artists. After all, we Canadians buy up the CDs of Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken and we also buy the CDs of Kalan Porter and Ryan Malcolm. It's not an either/or situation. Are Americans any different?

There is a good sign on the horizon though. Kelly Clarkson is bringing her new tour into Canada. This is a first in that an American Idol winner is actually being allowed to tour a "foreign" country. Maybe there is a change in the wind and Kalan will be allowed to tour the US - but first, his music has to be officially launched in the US. There has to be promotion to radio and his CDs have to be distributed to US retail and at competitive prices. Will this happen, or will Canadians be continually subject to this one-way Idol street? Will Mr. Simon Fuller throw some crumbs our way and allow Canada's pride to penetrate the US market? We shall see.

BEAVERS ON IDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 04:39:13 AM »

Anthony Fedorov: Clay’s clone!!!!!! Actually, better than Clay himself. Haha! I bet all of you Clay fans were ready to yell at me again! To respond to your comments, I never said Anthony would replace Clay Aiken. That was not my point. I compared him to Clay because they both have similar strong voices and they both have this kind of charm. Putting down Clay was the last thing I wanted to do and I was shocked when I read all of your annoying comments on the board. That’s the point I was trying to prove: I hope Anthony won’t have fans like you are to Clay. You people need to calm down and accept that not everyone is obsessed with your Clay. You’re not doing him any favours when you freak out for meaningless things like this “Anthony compared to Clay” thing. I hope you understand what I’m trying to explain and will think twice before writing some nonsense again, okay? Back to Anthony… He should make the Top 12 easily if he keeps singing well.

BEAVERS ON IDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 04:42:06 AM »

American Idol Eliminates Contestants for Week 1
by Sarah Harwood
Entertainment

First of all, I'd like to say that 3 nights of American Idol a week is just fine with me! I'm loving this. It's like "reality" TV's very own little CSI. I'm sure I will feel deprived when the top 12 (actual) season starts and I'm forced to get by on only two shows per week. Oh well, maybe my laundry will get done then. I really like the new format this year. We are seeing more performances and by the time the "real" season starts, we will feel like we already know each final (top 12) contestant almost as well as we know Ruben Sduddard, Clay Aiken, Fantasia, Kelly Clarkson, Jon Peter Lewis, George Huff, K-Lo, Rickey, Diana DeGarmo, Jasmine Trias...and so on. I hope they stick with this same format for season 5.

JUICEENEWSDAILY

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 04:52:11 AM »

The Billboard 200TM
Top 1-50 / 51-100 Positions / Issue Date: March 5, 2005

10 13 12 Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway 3
RCA | 64491 | RMG | (18.98 CD)

14 16 13 Fantasia, Free Yourself  8
J | 64235* | RMG | (18.98 CD)

46 - 1 Various Artists,Disneymania 3:Music Stars Sing Disney..Their Way!
Walt Disney | 861248 | (18.98 CD)   46

BILLBOARD200

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 05:17:50 AM »

I compared him to Clay because they both have similar strong voices and they both have this kind of charm.
I totally disagree, but who am I when it comes to all this opinion stuff!    

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 05:53:26 AM »

HER wrote:
I totally disagree, but who am I when it comes to all this opinion stuff!  

Me too, so let's agree to disagree with them! I would never waste my time to write in and complain about someone who obviously has no common sence in the first place!  

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!
cjrmax
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 07:01:47 AM »

But Fedorov has had little exposure on the show so far.

No exposure?  They have got to be kidding!  Is there anyone watching AI who doesn't know his tracheotomy story?

I compared him to Clay because they both have similar strong voices and they both have this kind of charm.

I would agree they both have strong voices, but the same kind of charm?  One of the reasons I do not like Anthony is he totally devoid of any charm or personality - at least from what we have seen thus far.  His performance was stilted and boring.  He has no stage presense.  To me, that is the area where he is most different from Clay.  Clay from day 1 had that sparkle, that charisma, that stage presense.  I have seen no sign of it from Anthony.
AdoringClay
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 08:45:52 AM »

Ditto, cjrmax...

My sentiments exactly.  Comparing Anthony to Clay: Anthony can carry a tune and he is a nice enough looking boy, but I don't see any sparkle, any "it" factor.  As we all know, when Clay is on the stage or on the small screen you simply can't take your eyes off him, try as you might...I have seen both women and men absolutely mesmerized by him.  And, to date I have never heard Anthony "blow" like Clay does...

He's a nice boy who deserves a fighting chance.  Period.  But, to date, he's no Clay.  Anthony doesn't need to be "the next Clay" just like Clay doesn't need to be "the next Barry Manilow".  Why can't they just be Anthony with his style and Clay with his different style? The AI execs love to play the "Clay" card whenever they can to pump up the ratings!

Let's just see what Anthony does in the coming weeks.  Who knows, maybe he'll surprise us.  But, no one will ever take Clay's place in my heart and no one will ever touch my soul like he does...

Clay love...Sue g.
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »

Star Bulletin photo and "drawing" at link!!

Friday, February 25, 2005
FEB. 25/26/27
KIP AOKI / KAOKI@STARBULLETIN.COM

Man on a mission

The Idol alumnus is in
Hawaii to champion the
cause of disabled kids
By John Berger
jberger@starbulletin.com

Some celebrities adopt a cause or charity for the publicity value, while others support the crusade of the moment, and then move on the next one.

Clay Aiken isn't like that. He'd still be working on behalf of disabled children even if he hadn't auditioned for "American Idol," made the final round of competition, and then gone on to double-platinum sales with his debut album, "Measure of a Man."

For the children
"Voices for Change" benefit with Clay Aiken
Where: Hawaii Ballroom, Sheraton Waikiki Hotel

When: 6 p.m. Friday, starting with registration and silent auction, and 8 p.m. dinner.

Tickets: $175 and $250

Info: 521-2328 or www.voicesforchangebenefit.org

"I worked at the YMCA in Raleigh (North Carolina) for years and I was around children with disabilities. I worked with a YMCA after-school program, and through some connections there, and meeting with educators at schools that I worked with, I was asked to come work at an elementary school ... in a classroom with kids who had autism. It wasn't (directly) working at the YMCA, but being in the right place at the right time got me that opportunity," the soft-spoken Idol alumnus said when we reached him by phone recently.

While Aiken these days isn't the easiest person to reach -- having a very tight and hectic schedule -- he was the epitome of Southern-grown manners as he talked about his current work with his Bubel/Aiken Foundation (TBAF).

"The fans have been just absolutely amazing in supporting the foundation," he said. Aiken has been able thus far to juggle his commitments to TBAF with the demands of his singing career, and hopes to do a full-length concert here sometime, maybe after he finishes his next album around the end of the year.

In the meantime, Aiken will sing at least a few songs Friday night for his "Voices for Change" gala dinner/fund-raiser at the Sheraton Waikiki.

He will also be appearing as a guest speaker at the University of Hawaii Center on Disability Studies' 21st Annual Pacific Rim Conference on Disabilities at the same hotel Monday and Tuesday.

THIS WILL BE Aiken's first visit to Hawaii, but he won't be attending the conference as a celebrity. He earned a degree in special education at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and founded TBAF in 2003 with Diane Bubel, a disability activist whose son, Mike, has autism. The foundation is based on an independent study project Aiken created while still in college.

Aiken found that the YMCA didn't really "allow access" for children with disabilities for a number of reasons, such as budget constraints, lack of planning, and a lack of trained staff members to work with disabled children in many of the programs. Because of that, "I ended up becoming passionate about including kids with disabilities into other extra-curricular activities with kids without disabilities, because I saw the benefits of these YMCA programs, and I knew from my education how this would benefit kids with disabilities if only they had access to them.

"It was always something I wanted to do at some point, whether I did it this way (as a celebrity) or not. I thought that, one day, I'd like to work with the YMCA and help train their employees, and help raise funds to get extra staff so that they could have kids with disabilities in their programs ... and when I started in this new path in life, I saw the opportunity to use the exposure I have now to bring attention to the cause."

Aiken says politely but firmly that he disagrees with the idea that disabled kids should be isolated from their nondisabled peers.

"Our position is that children with disabilities can survive in an atmosphere with nondisabled kids. We've been successful throughout the last two years already with camp programs for YMCA ... where children with disabilities are able to participate. In some instances, we find that the more severely disabled children require there to be more adequate training for the staff members who are working with them, or more possibly more one-on-one attention, but we do find that we have a lot a success with both the children with disabilities and their experiences in these activities with nondisabled peers, and as well as the kids without disabilities. Their lives are enhanced by these new friendships and being exposed to these diverse groups of people."

Aiken describes TBAF programs as taking "all the good that the YMCA is already doing" and adding to it with additional funding and special equipment. One pilot program operated last summer out of the Raleigh YMCA where he used to work. Another is in Kansas City, Mo. Aiken plans to expand the duration of the summer camp programs this year and add a third one out of a YMCA in Harlem in New York.

"We've found that, with the right amount of support, children with disabilities are able to learn social skills that they aren't able to learn in a classroom with other children with disabilities, and, amazingly, ... when people without disabilities are exposed to this different population, then they're not just 'the kids down the hall' or 'the kids who ride on the small school bus.' They become peers, especially when we're working with children of a younger age."

Aiken will be sharing his findings on the "benefits of inclusion" at the conference next week as part of a larger look at issues that affect people with disabilities, their families and friends, and the community as a whole.

He is also looking forward to honoring two Hawaii residents, disabilities activist Susan Rocco and state Sen. Suzanne Chun Oakland (D, Kalihi-Liliha), with TBAF Champion of Change Awards for their work in "the disabilities awareness arena."

"We don't do this everywhere. We pick communities with people who have really made a difference. (The senator) has done a lot of work in the legislature advocating for the disabled community in Hawaii," he says.

AS FOR any comments about "American Idol," Aiken clearly prefers to talk about his charity work instead.

"I haven't paid attention to it too much," he says with a hearty laugh. "My position was, that soon as I was gone, it wasn't any good anymore." (It was a joke, AI fans, just a joke.)

Turning back to his foundation, he said "The career is able to help the foundation do its work and the foundation is, in turn, able to make a difference in the community. So often we're introduced as a foundation for people with disabilities, but it's not like that to me. We do focus on the needs of people with disabilities ... but it's a foundation for everybody.

"I think the more we talk about how much it's for children with disabilities, the more we negate that there's so much work and so much benefit for children without disabilities when the work is done. Our mission statement is to allow everybody to enjoy the life experiences we all enjoy on a regular basis. It's a mission that benefits everyone."

And the biggest challenge in getting there?

"To change the way that everyone thinks about people with disabilities. To change the mind set that they need to be in a special classroom ... it's been very segregationist almost. That's the biggest thing for me. People opening their minds and their eyes to the possibilities of assimilation. When people ask how they can help, you have start with yourself."

Lora
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 09:35:26 AM »

Edited...please see Deanna's below!

Lora
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 09:35:57 AM »

This Week's Hits: Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, Black Eyed Peas
 From James Maguire

Can Paula make a comeback?
Paula Abdul has made plenty of noises about making a musical comeback. As a judge on American Idol, she's in front of tens of millions of fans on a weekly basis, so she has the recognition to get some buzz about a new release.
It helps, too, that she's the "nice" judge -- the good cop in comparison to Simon Cowell's bad cop. This gives her the warm 'n fuzzy public relations momentum to sell some records. She's reportedly not under contract with any label, but that could probably be arranged with a minimum of difficulty.

But whether she will actually try to make a comeback, and whether she would succeed, is unclear. First, it would be a major risk. She's seems comfortable in her Idol post, but if she were to put out a CD with minimal sales -- or mostly terrible reviews -- it would make being a judge somewhat awkward.

She had a hugely successful career as a singer-dancer-choreographer. Between the late '80s and the mid '90s she was a major dance pop maven, selling some 20 million albums worldwide, with hits like "Straight Up" and "Opposites Attract."

But in the 10 years or so since Abdul has been on the charts -- in pop music years, that's about four generations -- a lot has changed. She would have to significantly update her dance pop sound. Even tougher, she's 42 years old. For better or worse, we like our pop stars to be young.

There are, of course, some older stars, like Sting or Eric Clapton. But these older musicians generally play a more sophisticated brand of music that appeals to older listeners. Being a dance pop star at age 42 would be an uphill climb. Maybe Abdul could be the star to change that. If she gives it a try, more power to her.

News of the Strange: As Michael Jackson's trial is about to begin, the jury includes a man who visited Jackson's Neverland estate as a child. Strange, isn't it? It's very unusual that a jury would include an individual who's been to the defendant's house. But Jackson has invited so many thousands of people to his estate (even the locals, apparently) that one of them ended up on his jury. Nothing about this case is typical.

More Strangeness: You've heard, of course, about Paris Hilton's private cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses being leaked onto the Internet. Reportedly, Black Eyed Peas bandmember Fergie's phone number was on the list -- and she started getting crank calls at 6:30 AM, followed by a surge of strange e-mails. Fergie is going to change all her contact information, and then, she told MTV News, "I'm going to kill Paris Hilton."

On the Charts

Usher, who can hardly get music out fast enough to satisfy his ravenous fans, will put out a CD/DVD of his film Rhythm City Volume on March 8th.

Getting a step ahead of Usher, the release date of 50 Cent's new CD, The Massacre, has been moved up five days to March 3rd. The only suspense is: will it debut at No. 1? It's all but guaranteed.

The No. 1 selling CD in America right now is Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company, followed closely by Green Day's American Idiot.

You know that Josh Groban and Beyonce will sing a duet at this Sunday's Academy Awards. Also check out Prince, who will be a presenter. The last time he appeared at the Oscars was in 1984, when he snagged Best Original Score for Purple Rain.

Songs with major buzz right now are Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl," Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" and Jennifer Lopez's "Get Right."

Enjoying a really long run at the top are Los Lonely Boys, whose sweetly harmonized tune "Heaven" has lived atop the Adult Contemporary chart for more than four months.

I'd say that Clay Aiken faces his biggest career challenge yet in these weeks of late February-early March. He's in a period that every pop star reaches, the dreaded quiet period. No new releases scheduled, nothing on the radio, no TV appearances scheduled. Not a peep out of the good-natured tenor. He'll start working on his next CD in March, but that probably means it will be (at least) a few months until it hits shelves. How does he keep up the buzz until then? Now is when he most needs an aggressive manager to get him back in the spotlight.

About poll: Whose music would you most like to hear -- this week?GO TO POLL

Choices: Paula Abdul, Usher, 50 Cent, Ray Charles, Green Day, Michael Jackson, Los Lonely Boys, Clay Aiken, Black Eyed Peas, Josh Groban

TOP40
Current results of poll:
Whose music would you most like to hear -- this week? (2/25/05)
Paula Abdul 0%  
Usher 0%  
50 Cent 0%  
Ray Charles 0%  
Green Day 0%  
Michael Jackson 0%  
Los Lonely Boys  (2)  1%  
Clay Aiken  (119)  95%  
Black Eyed Peas 0%  
Josh Groban  (3)  2%  
Total Votes: 124

Clay "is" the "News"