gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 177
Total: 177

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK DECEMBER 27  (Read 5806 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: December 27, 2004, 02:29:46 AM »

wave Good Morning, everyone!! wave

The New York Times Bestsellers
Nonfiction

1. America (The Book) by Jon Stewart, Ben Karlin, David Javerbaum, et al (Warner, $24.95). ``The Daily Show'' offers a lavishly illustrated parody of a civics textbook.

2. Chronicles: Volume One by Bob Dylan (Simon & Schuster, $24). Recollections and observations from the singer/songwriter.

3. Faithful by Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King (Scribner, $26). Two novelists - and die-hard Boston Red Sox fans - chronicle the 2004 championship season, from spring training to the World Series.

4. His Excellency by Joseph Ellis (Knopf, $26.95). A biography of George Washington, by the author of ``Founding Brothers.''

5. When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops? by George Carlin (Hyperion, $23.95). Another volume of observations and opinions from the stand-up comedian.

6. Learning to Sing by Clay Aiken with Allison Glock (Random House, $21.95). An ``inspirational memoir'' by the ``American Idol'' runner-up in 2003.

REGISTERGUARD

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 02:32:34 AM »

American Idol’s back

By JASON CHEAH
STAR World (Astro Channel 70) presents a new season of American Idol, the famed reality TV pop contest, straight off the screens of Fox TV in the United States every Wednesday and Thursday (direct off satellite at 4pm with a repeat at 8pm), starting Jan 19.

Since its launch, American Idol, now coming into its fourth season, has become a global phenomenon, with 65 million votes cast in last season’s grand finale alone.

Previous winners Kelly, Fantasia and Ruben, runner-ups Clay and Diana, finalists Tamara, Jasmine and Latoya are now so recognised that they are called by their first names.(snip)

Originally starting in Britain as Pop Idol, which also yielded a new generation of British pop stars such as Will Young, Gareth Gates and Darius, this American version has already seen past winners Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino top the charts, as has past runner-up Clay Aiken.

STAR-ECENTRAL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 02:36:25 AM »

The red and the black

On the arts scene in 2004, money was often a driving issue Music Pixies cap year that runs up and down scale
By KATHLEEN DEELY , Sun Staff

A canceled Melissa Etheridge show at the Auditorium in October goes into the low column. The raspy crooner was diagnosed with breast cancer 24 hours before her Lowell date, thereby ending the rest of her tour. Fans from across the country speed away disappointed. But the Auditorium ended the year a two big Christmas shows, Clay Aiken and Anne Murray. The Canadian crooner arrived with a full orchestra and songbook of Christmas classics and Aiken laid on the charm. Both filled the hall with warmth.

LOWELLSUN.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 02:38:01 AM »

The year in quotes

"I don't know that I'm the king of Wuss Mountain. I would call myself the mayor of Nerdville. I'm not really a wuss; I'm more of a dork. There's a big difference."

-- Clay Aiken, clarifying -- well, maybe -- his self-identity.

CHARLOTTE.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 02:39:47 AM »

clay-mania continues

Clay Aiken, the N.C. native of "American Idol" fame, makes the New York Times best-seller list with his memoir, "Learning to Sing."

CHARLOTTE.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 02:42:39 AM »

LETTERS TO THE PINK

Sunday, December 26, 2004
Clay Aiken's fans rush to his defense after harsh review

Editor -- Rarely, if ever, do I respond to comments from critics, as I normally follow the logic that "those who can't, teach" or, in this case, critique. However, the Dec. 5 review of Clay Aiken -- his CD "Merry Christmas With Love" and TV special -- by Aidin Vaziri is invalid and unjustified.

"Giving moth-eaten old carols like 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' and 'Silent Night' the runny consistency of vanilla-flavored Jell-O pudding." Does this critic not understand what classic tunes are? These are the foundation of the Christmas holidays for many of us, and instead of "runny vanilla-flavored Jell-O," it should read "the rich and creamy delight of a spiced egg nog."

And where in the world does one ever see "scientifically" and "cruise ship" in the same sentence, unless one is discussing food poisoning?

And, lastly, why is this unfair to Ruben Studdard? Both of them have had the same opportunities, Ruben more so, if one considers that he received the $1 million-plus contract as the "winner" on "American Idol." Is it Clay's fault that he has a natural charisma, a fabulous voice, a giving soul and oodles of sex appeal, not to mention a loyal fan following? Or that he is on his second solo album and his third tour of the year? To quote Clay and Ruben from many interviews, "It is not a competition, people."

Perhaps the only thing that is unfair is that Clay has had little airplay. Why? Is it because there is nothing risque about it -- no swearing, nothing derogatory, amoral or demeaning? Perhaps at Christmas, program directors want to cleanse their souls and recognize the need for forgiveness and a belief in joy and hope for the future. Maybe that is why Clay is getting his airplay now.

Vaziri doesn't appear to see the positives about Clay and should consider applying for the role of Scrooge at his local theater. I believe he'll be a natural for the part.

Darleen Mills, Goodwood, Ontario, Canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor -- First of all, I know that Ruben Studdard is not in the hospital because of Clay's overpopularity. I believe his exhaustion has been caused by a heavy schedule and weighing 457 pounds. I really like Ruben and hope that he does find a way to lose this weight. Please report correctly when reporting.
Second, why would Aidin Vaziri write such a review when Clay has sold out his Christmas concerts, has the top-selling Christmas CD debut in the Soundscan-era history of Billboard, a book on the best-seller list and, most important, has been named national ambassador for the U.S. fund for UNICEF and spokesman for the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program and Ronald McDonald House Charities, along with running his own Bubel/Aiken Foundation for autistic children? This man will start touring next year for UNICEF and all children around the world. Why on earth be so harsh?

Maybe Vaziri just plain doesn't like Clay.

Dorothy Olson, Fremont
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor -- Whoa! I can see Scrooge is alive and well in San Francisco.
Clay wanted to make a classic album, and that was what he gave us. Ruben is in the hospital because he's out of shape and overweight. Sad, but true.

Clay's album is a masterpiece and will be around for years to come. Think of Clay as an artist, not as an American Idol, and catch up to the year 2004.

By the way, Scrooge (Aidin Vaziri), Merry Christmas.

Cindy Goodwin, Andover, Minn.

SFGATE.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 02:44:32 AM »

CRITICS CHOICES 2004
Pop music
Aidin Vaziri

Jay-Z's "99 Problems" video: Naked prisoners, dogfights, Jay-Z getting shot up -- when was the last time Clay Aiken did that for you?

SFGATE.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 02:49:03 AM »

Goooood morning M.B.!!!!  Are you snowed in this a.m.?

Do you have to work?  I do, yuck....

Have a blessed day and should you be traveling, please use extra care on those dangerous roadways.

Here's some (it's in the 40's here brrrrr....)

Thanks for the  news

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 02:49:57 AM »

Was JT Under The Tree?
   Dean Cox
James Taylor and Hallmark go platinum. By LOS ANGELES TIMES
Published on 12/26/2004

James Taylor to Hallmark Gold Stores: You've got a friend.

In the latest example of the slipping grip of traditional music retailers, the Grammy-winning singer released “James Taylor: A Christmas Album'' exclusively through the gift-shop company.

Hallmark's 4,200 outlets have been selling the CD, Taylor's first-ever compilation of holiday classics, since Nov. 1. Priced at $10.95 (or $6.95 if you buy three greeting cards), the 11-song album, which includes standbys including “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town,'' has been flying off the shelves.

Of the more than 1 million copies shipped, almost all have sold, said Ann Herrick, Hallmark's manager of integrated marketing. The independently owned Hallmark locations can't return CDs once they've arrived at their stores, so in effect the album already has gone platinum — industry parlance for 1 million copies either shipped or sold.

As Taylor fans shower the people they love with CDs, “the response from customers so far has been incredible,'' said Teri Brown of TBA Network Inc., who brokered the deal giving Hallmark a two-year window of exclusivity before the CD goes into wider release. While the chain's target demographic is women over 45, Brown said, sales indicate that “There's a lot more than 45-plus women finding and buying it.''

Clay Aiken's “Merry Christmas with Love,'' with 753,000 copies sold, is the top-ranked holiday CD on the SoundScan tally.

THEDAY.COM
*note: that figure does not count last week's sales, plus it is low for the first 3 weeks sales*

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 02:56:41 AM »

The best and the West
December 26, 2004
BY JIM DeROGATIS POP MUSIC CRITIC

Throughout 2004, the music industry continued to bemoan a sorry state of affairs that it claims is caused by the proliferation of people downloading -- "stealing" is the term many executives prefer -- singles and albums that they used to buy in the stores.

In fact, according to Rolling Stone magazine and the industry trades, sales of recorded music rose about 7 percent during the first half of 2004. And while that number slipped during the third and fourth quarters to average out to a "mere" 2 percent -- an annual increase that many businesses would envy -- that can be blamed on the fact that major labels released fewer albums and placed unrealistic expectations on a handful of superstar acts, among them U2, Eminem, Destiny's Child and (sad but true) Clay Aiken.

SUNTIMES
*my sad but true thought--read the rest of the article and see this critic's picks for Top 10 albums of the year--then you will understand*

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 03:02:55 AM »

my sad but true thought--read the rest of the article and see this critic's picks for Top 10 albums of the year--then you will understand*
Okay, I'm showing my age again...who are these people(well the majority of them, I've never heard of---not that I'd want to!)

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 03:05:24 AM »

Hardcover Nonfiction
Published: January 2, 2005

This Week .................... Last Week.. Weeks On List

14 LEARNING TO SING, by Clay Aiken with Allison Glock. (Random House, $21.95.) An "inspirational memoir" by the "American Idol" runner-up in 2003. ............................. 6...................... 5

NYTIMES

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 03:09:43 AM »

Good Morning, Buddy!!!

Yep, I have to work today!!  *big sigh*

And, yes, we are getting snow here!!!  It is windy and cold.  Gee, I can't wait to go to work!!    argh!

I think I will have another   now!!! LOL

Clay "is" the "News"
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 03:10:05 AM »

GOOD MORNING HER AND DEANNA! I WENT TO THAT SUNTIMES LINK. THE ONLY PERSON I'VE HEARD OF ON THAT TOP-10 LIST IS STEVE EARLE. HE'S A COUNTRY SINGER, ACTUALLY, BUT HE'S BEEN EMBRACED BY THE ALERNATIVE COUNTRY CROWD. OTHER THAN HIM, I HAD NO CLUE WHO THE OTHER PEOPLE WERE

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 03:13:37 AM »

Good morning AC!

I hope you can stay warm Miss D.....

HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 03:59:33 AM »

Good Morning!!

I haven't been here in many many days! It's a balmy 12 degrees and it is my first day back to work since last Monday. I would rather have my wisdom teeth pulled that go to work..at the dentist office. It seems less painful.

Thank you for the news! Hope all is well in Clay World.

Have a great day!

Lora-Ohio
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 04:02:34 AM »

Trying to help out "the seeker" who was last seen being snowed on in Massachusetts!! Wink

Daily Overview for December 27, 2004
Quickie:
Trust can be difficult to establish, but it's well worth the investment.

Overview:
You've never been famous for being shy, and you're not about to start working on that reputation now. You may, however, be a bit more subtle than you usually are, which will take some doing.  

Daily extended:
The pictures in your head may seem more real than what your eyes actually see today. You're so wrapped up in your own thoughts that there's a danger you could bump into a post or step off the curb without looking. When others speak to you, you may not hear them at all, or it could seem as if they're calling to you from across a wide canyon. Preoccupation is the natural result of an active imagination, but don't allow yourself to completely disengage from reality

Weekly:
It's Monday and you're feeling moody. You have romance on the brain -- or more accurately, the recent lack thereof -- and instead of sharing your feelings with a good friend you're probably going to get a little philosophical and turn inward. That works, too. An awful lot of fuss is made about how people should always share their feelings when the truth is that people who are constantly sharing their feelings can get a bit tedious. Worry not! By midweek, you'll be out of this funk -- in part because you'll finally see an opportunity to get out of Dodge. Book a trip somewhere faraway over the weekend. You never know who you'll meet.

Daily Flirt:
You're on the top of the relationship teeter-totter for now, but keep in mind that things always shift to the other side. Enjoy your trip and don't bump the ground, no matter how frustrated you are with your partner.

Daily Couples:
Ask the right questions and you'll hear the expected answers. Try to surprise your sweetie with a question out of the blue.

Daily Singles:
If you've been the aloof one, waiting for someone to come to you and shower you with affection, try the reverse tactic: Wag your proverbial tail and bound in circles around them.  

Daily career:A minor misunderstanding shouldn't affect your standing around the office as long as you smooth over any hurt feelings. With your charm, that should be a snap.

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 04:03:29 AM »

Keep your chin up, Lora!!

You are not alone!!!  

Clay "is" the "News"
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 04:37:06 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA, JAYNE, AC AND LORA FROM A SNOWY DAY HERE IN CT.  ACTUALLY IT IS JUST ABOUT OVER AND I AM SO HAPPY I DON'T HAVE TO WORK.  THANK GOD.

DEANNA THANKS FOR ALL THE NEWS ABOUT OUR CLAY.  I AM STILL BEING POSITIVE ABOUT HIS SALES FOR THE WEEK.  WILL THEY START COMING IN TODAY OR WILL IT BE A LITTLE LATER THIS WEEK.

O.K.  WILL CHECK FOR LATER FOR MORE UPDATES.  STILL HAVE SOME SNOW TO SHOVEL.
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2004, 04:40:36 AM »

GOOD MORNING- GETTING READY TO GO OUT AND CLEAN OFF MY CAR AND TRY TO MAKE MY WAY TO WORK IN THE SNOW.
HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT DAY!

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx