gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MEASURE OF A MAN REVIEWS  (Read 12100 times)
houstonclayfan
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2004, 03:18:42 PM »

I read this review 3 times (keep in mind that I do have a Masters degree) and each time I was thinking that it didnt make any sense.  Who is this guy and what is the world is he talking about ???   Then I saw this

PS - If anyone has any idea what this guy is talking about, please share. ThanX!  

(Giggle)  I guess I am not alone.  If the Queen of words doesn't understand it, none of us will for sure.  Good grief !
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2004, 03:21:28 PM »

I agree Pam.  I read it three times and still can't understand what he is talking about.  I choose to ignore this......

Lorraine
AdoringClay
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2004, 09:14:50 AM »

RE:  Review "Ham Lies Down on Broadway" - by Mikael Wood

:? You're right guys.  I have a college degree, have spent my entire life involved in music, and I, too, can't understand a thing this guy said.  Is this a bad review?  And, what does "Ham Lies Down on Broadway" mean?

I feel compelled to say - now that I have had a few months to savor MOAM almost daily - I will be eternally impressed by this first effort by Clay (and Clive!).  I think MOAM will be known years from now as a really, really good debut album and maybe even a "classic".  (I will admit, before its release, I actually worried - what if the album is no good?  I love Clay so much.  How will I justify loving his music?)

Well, the truth is, never have I heard such a heartwarming and interesting album (debut or otherwise) from any artist.  I have never had a CD like this one where I absolutely cannot force myself to skip a track and I, often, repeat a track a time or two before going on to the next.  This album really, really makes me happy and I actually look forward to long business drives and getting hung up in traffic.  What a joy it is to listen to.  I am eternally smiling...I will cherish MOAM and the exciting ride Clay has taken us on forever...THANK YOU, CLAY...Sue g.
redhead
Clayamateur

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2004, 11:59:49 AM »

I've never posted before, but couldn't resist the urge to take a stab at interpreting the Village Voice review.

My impression is that he is trying to be clever in offering basically the same criticisms that thers have given in the past.  First, he seems to make reference to the show's history of borrowing 80's pop tunes for it's contestants to sing.  Also, Clay mentioned once in an interview that Peter Cetera was someone he listened to in earlier days. He gives a nod to those who've compared Clay Aiken to the big 80's crooners, who were better known for their abilities to belt out a love song, than for the songs they actually sang.  

From there, he goes own to compare MOAM to a bad broadway production, and refers to Clay's ability to sell (or oversell a song). In his comments about chewing up scenery, and choruses with stage directions attached, he's saying that Clay can sing, but the songs and over-all album are just very scripted, overproduced material that says or does nothing new or important, and are not very good.

Personally, I love MOAM.  My initial impression was that it was very good and easy to listen to, but didn't completely capture the incredible voice and charisma that he displayed on the show.  While I still feel that is true, I've grown to like it even more, and I love the messages in some of the songs. You don't have to work to listen to it, or take a shower afterwords because of it's constant references to sex, bad language, drugs, etc.  It doesn't have all of the frenzied musical background that is becoming popular.  You just pop it in, turn it up, and and enjoy listening to that awesome voice.  

I'm not in the entertainment industry, I'm not a journalist, and my degree's in business (with some psych tossed in for fun); all of which make me just an average listener who's no more or less qualified to analyze this review than anyone else who may or may not read this.

Feet on the ground; listening to the star
breezy
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »

I'm not so forgiving.  A stupid review is a stupid review.  Took the opportunity to email Village Voice and ask them what kind of stuff this so-called critic smokes and drinks!  I've never read a sillier piece.  VV should be ashamed.
redhead
Clayamateur

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2004, 02:18:14 PM »

Breezy, I'm inclined to  agree with you. He certainly is entitled to his opinion, but writes this as if he thinks he'll impress us with his intellegence by his strange writing style; as if he's somehow above the rest of us. I'm not too familiar with "Village Voice," but I did take a second to look at the web page. Unless I miss my guess, it looks to be a NYC arts and culture magazine. His other reviews, whether positive or negative, are just as weird.  I'd be interested to see the post if VV responds to your email.

I'm not too worried about it.  Clay Aiken probaby doesn't care too much either.  As long as he, those close to him, and his fans like it, that's all that really matters.

Feet on the ground; listening to the star
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2004, 03:05:19 PM »

Quote from: redhead
I'm not too worried about it.  Clay Aiken probaby doesn't care too much either.  As long as he, those close to him, and his fans like it, that's all that really matters.

Amen to that redhead.  I used to angst a bit over some of these reviews when they first came out.  (Just a bit though.  Wink:  )  Now, I think they are hilarious.   Laughing:

The true test is in the $$.  As another business person who was a psych major in college (strange, but true!) we know this is a fact.  As fans, we can make our voices heard moreso with our dollars than with anything else.

Breezy, I too would love to know if you get a response from the ever-so-hip VV critic.   :roll:  Let us know!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx