gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 492
Total: 492

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MEASURE OF A MAN REVIEWS  (Read 12099 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: November 07, 2003, 10:06:58 PM »

I thought it would be convenient to post all the MoaM reviews (good and bad!) in one place for easy reference.  Please feel free to add reviews to this thread and to comment on any and all reviews posted.  I left most of them up in seperate threads as well, but will eventually delete them in order to keep things simple.  

And with this simple exercise comes a small enlightenment.  The vast majority of the reviews are GOOD! or ... somewhat neutral.  Out of all the reviews, only a few were really bad.  And those were mostly ridiculous anyway.   Wink:

So, I won't be getting pissy any more when I read a bad review of MoaM.  I'll just think of all the GOOD! reviews, and remember that some folks just don't get it.  Never will.

Because if you are a Clay fan, no words are really necessary.  
And if you aren't, no words can explain it.

So there.  Enjoy!

And to kick things off, here's my review.   :)

Clay Aiken/Measure of a Man – A Fan Review

Who was it that said, ‘writing about music is like dancing about architecture?’ I can’t remember. I remember the quote though. Which makes a perfect point about how difficult it really is to write a fair, unbiased review of a piece of music. There are things about Clay’s first CD that I wish were different. But those are details. At the end of the day, after many plays, those things don’t really matter so much; what matters is that my face hurts from smiling and my heart is full of joy. Why? Because I love Clay's voice and I like these positive songs with uplifting lyrics.  A little more angst would be nice too, but I can play another CD for that.   Wink:  

Music is subjective; the very thing that one may love about a song could be the very thing another finds objectionable.  First of all, I am not a ‘critic,’ merely a simple ‘fan.’  But I am trying to look at Clay Aiken’s debut CD in an unbiased way if at all possible.

Almost exactly a year ago, Clay Aiken was a college student in NC, getting ready to enter the world of special education and teaching. Today, he is being put up on a pedestal as the potential savior of the struggling music industry. Oh my goodness! (tmClay)

It’s not realistic to think that Clay’s success could ‘save’ the music industry. A much talked about article in TIME magazine even made reference to this idea. Hello!

Even if it were possible, it’s not going to happen because of the very semantics of what this CD is all about. It’s not possible for Clay to stretch and grow and exhibit change and take risks on this CD. RCA, Clive Davis and most likely Clay himself didn’t want to stray too far from the formula that earned Clay first runner up status on American Idol. After all, approximately twenty four million votes were cast in the show finale. I was only able to log four votes personally, so either a few people  were spamming the phone lines or lots and lots of people voted a few times each. I vote for B.

What the CD doesn't have is more telling than what’s there. There are no covers of American Idol songs, no classic love songs, no honey dipped ballads and no sex drenched lyrics on this CD. I didn’t expect these things, but if you did you will be disappointed.

There are a couple of radio friendly, danceable chart climbers. Invisible, the first single, was performed with great success on the concert tour this summer. Of course that may have had something to do with a few certain ‘dance’ moves moreso than the song itself, but I digress. I’d also like to go on record as saying I don’t think the lyrics are ‘creepy.’ You want creepy lyrics, turn on Top 40 radio. You know what I’m talking about!  

When You Say You Love Me, a catchy song with some country crossover potential, is a fun song with a driving drum line and ringing acoustic guitars. There are also a couple of 80s inspired power ballads. No More Sad Songs is vaguely reminiscent of Foreigner or even Elton John when he’s in an angsty kind of mood.  I Survived You is a ‘hold up your cigarette lighter’ sounding kind of anthemic song I remember from my first concerts back in the day. No, I’m not saying what year that was!

There are songs on the CD that evoke the kind of positive messages Clay is becoming known for. I Will Carry You has a Kansas (or was it Toto?) vibe, even though the instrumentation sounda a bit crunchy at the beginning; and Run to Me, with it’s surprising bridge, enables Clay to use his soaring vocal prowess to it’s best advantage while causing hearts to swell all over the country. These are feel good songs, and I feel good about that!

The Way was not my favorite song when I heard it on the CD. It was a lovely little love song, with lovely lyrics, full of love. Nice. But after seeing Clay perform it live on Good Morning America, it’s moved on up the list for me. Now it’s become a song full of yearning and passion. It’s obvious this man was born to perform live. He can take a song of just about any ilk and make it something you would fly across the country to see live. Oh, lots of people did that? See?

Which brings me to Touch,  a very sensual song.  Clay didn’t discuss it much in his conversation with Fred Bronson of Billboard. Which makes me even more intrigued by it. Is it about love? Lust? Sex? Slow dancing? Yeah, that’s it. This one? I can’t wait to hear live. Gulp.  Recording in the studio is fine; but even at this early juncture, I am so looking forward to the first ‘Clay Aiken Live!’ CD. Who do we have to write to get this?

Now for my current favorites. I love Perfect Day and Shine, a couple of big, power pop songs with catchy Beatlesque sounding choruses and a big shout out again to the late 80s, early 90s pure pop stylings of Michael Penn and World Party’s Karl Wallinger. Remember Matthew Sweet? Ah, those were the days when pop music was fun, hip and friendly. Jangle up those guitars a little bit and it’s a beautiful flashback to a simpler time when people were more into being cool than being ‘hott’ and more into having fun than having sex. At least in my orbit anyway.

The CD is called Measure of a Man, a song and a title that Clay reportedly had to fight for. Why? It’s just a CD title, not the cure for cancer. Clay has said that he chooses his battles; I’m glad he won this one, because he said the song means a lot to him personally. It’s a song with a powerful message. This is very clearly a CD for people who are already fans of Clay Aiken.  Whether or not it will convert new fans remains to be seen. I have a pretty strong feeling it might.   8)  

Whatever happened to peace, love and understanding? Why they’re right here in this CD!  I like it.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 10:11:23 PM »

Aiken CD comes with no surprises
By David Menconi, Staff Writer
Raleigh News & Observer

Records don't come much more review-proof than "Measure of a Man" (RCA Records), the ravenously anticipated debut album of our "American Idol" homeboy heartthrob, Clay Aiken. If you're part of Clay Nation, you probably already own the album and have committed its 12 songs to memory. And if your tastes run anywhere other than the center stripe of the highway, you already know this isn't for you.

So for anyone still on the fence, the only thing left to say is that "Measure of a Man" is exactly what you'd expect, right down to the pensive poster shot and multipage thank-yous in the compact disc booklet. Every thoroughly anonymous nanosecond sounds as if it has been buffed, waxed, sanitized and focus-grouped for your protection.

That's what you get when you make records by committee. The album credits list as many technicians as musicians -- two dozen songwriters to go with six producers, nine mixers and 24 engineers. But the biggest focus group of all are the 12 million people who voted for Aiken in the "American Idol" finals, which makes this album's commercial success a foregone conclusion. Anything Aiken put out right now would sell, and the music is a lot less interesting than the star-making machinery whirling around him.

If there's a surprise to "Measure of a Man," it's in the album's relative restraint. Except for a reprise of the "This Is the Night" single (included as a "bonus cut"), it doesn't have a show-stopping, over-the-top power ballad. Instead, the album sticks to mid-tempo pop-rock that's heavy on piano and acoustic guitars. By way of comparison, Aiken comes off as a less-funky George Michael, a purer-voiced Elton John or an even-more-wholesome BB Mak.

As for content, the songs cast Aiken as somebody you'd happily take home to Mom. If he wasn't so gosh darn nice, "Invisible" might seem like a stalker's anthem: "If I was invisible, then I could just watch you in your room/If I was invincible, I'd make you mine tonight." He comes across as a lovable misfit emoting general, nonspecific romantic longing aimed at somebody named "You."

The closest he gets to nasty is "I Survived You," which kisses off someone who betrayed the singer. But even that song's edge is muted, as Aiken concludes, "Good luck, I wish you well."

Even from his lofty perch at the top of the charts, Aiken remembers his manners.

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 10:16:57 PM »

Clay Measures Up!
By Tim Jaramillo
October 21, 2003

He came in second place on the "American Idol" T.V. show but 24 year-old crooner CLAY AIKEN has proven that he's got true star appeal, with millions of fans across the country and truly impressive sales figures of his first single! And now he's finally ready to unleash the debut album that fans everywhere have been feverishly waiting for!

Measure Of A Man opens with the new single "Invisible." With easy confidence, Clay explores his vocal range on the soaring chorus of this uplifting track. He shows his chivalrous nature on the rockin' romantic number, "I Will Carry You," with lines like, "When your dreams give out/ I will carry you. "The talented singer belts out his melodies with aplomb on the epic tune "Run To Me." "When You Say You Love Me" is an up-tempo number with a sunny feel, in sharp contrast to the broken heart ballad "No More Sad Songs."

And with powerful lyrics and melodies, "Shine" absolutely overflows with triumphant emotion. This album also features Clay's previously released single, "This Is The Night," which amazingly enough is the #2 best selling single ever, with almost 400,000 copies sold the first week alone! On his impressive debut, Clay channels a full range of emotion through his golden voice. The songwriting is eclectic, and refreshingly un-formulaic, thanks to CLIVE DAVIS' magic touch.

With his skillful delivery, which oozes personality, Clay shows that he has the potential to break out of the pre-manufactured teen icon mold.Clay Aiken's debut album Measure Of A Man is in stores now!

ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 10:21:15 PM »

Clay Aiken's Measure Of A Man
Clay Aiken's debut album is a showcase for the tenor's powerful range and lyric interpretation
by James Maguire
10/14/03

Clay Aiken's debut album, Measure Of A Man, has been one of the most eagerly awaited CDs in recent pop history. Now that it's on the shelves it will interesting to see the sales figures. Will this CD break records like Aiken's single did?

The CD is in my player, and based on some initial listens, two things are clear:
First, Aiken has a powerful vocal range. Whether he's down in a quieter lyric or up rendering a do-or-die vocal hook, his tenor voice is solid, sure and highly musical.
Second, he is gifted in his ability to connect with a lyric. In each of the CD's twelve songs, his commitment to the message sounds total. He's not just singing the words, he's living them. This more than anything -- to my ears -- is the secret to Aiken's success.

Here are some album highlights:

"Invisible" This is Aiken doing what he does best: yearning for love. "What would it take to make you see that I'm alive?" he sings, "why can't I dream you into my life?". He can somehow yearn without seeming sappy or false. It's genuine.

"I Will Carry You" The other side of Clay: the strong shoulder for a loved one to lean upon. "When your dreams give out/I will carry you". In the beginning of this song the background instruments are muted and we just hear Clay. I wish there were more of this. This album is at its best when the background is kept minimal and Clay is allowed to shine without excess production.

"Measure Of A Man" For the album's title cut, Aiken chose a song with a powerful message: a man is more than his external trappings, but instead must be judged on the nature of his heart. Aiken delivers the song with power and sincerity.

"Perfect Day" The happiest cut on the CD, Aiken sings about how joyous his true love makes him. "Now that I've seen her shine/I know that I'll never be alone...it's going to be perfect day". Aiken's allows his voice to soar on this tune more than on any other.

"Touch" Romantic and intimate, this track has the most "modern" beat on the CD, perhaps in an effort to get Clay radio play on Top 40 stations.

Overall, Measure Of A Man is a strong performance by a very strong singer. Here's my quibble. For any singer to stay in public eye for a long period he needs a range of sounds. For example, Elton John has managed to keep his career going for years and years. Listen to how different "Crocodile Rock" sounds from "Bennie and The Jets" or from the Lady Di tribute. Even songs on the same Elton John CD sound different from each other. Variety is the spice of life, and in music it's even more essential.

But Measure Of A Man has a uniformity to the way the songs sound. It's a good uniformity -- if you're only going to sound one way, it's a good way to sound. But if Clay is going to stay around long term, he needs to vary his sound more. This uniformity of sound may be due to the CD's producers, I don't know. Clay is not a songwriter, so he may need to rely upon his producers more than someone who writes his own material.
Then again, this is a debut album, and Clay is still in his mid-20s. He has time. And he has a great start with Measure of A Man.

JAMES MAGUIRE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 10:26:43 PM »

Fallen 'Idol'
Only his fans will love Clay Aiken's new CD
By Jim Farber

Can Clay Aiken remain an American Idol without the show there to stoke the worship? ...........Creatively, it'll be an uphill climb.
Not since the heyday of Styx's Dennis DeYoung has pop been tormented by such an adenoidal voice.
It's a tinny, nasal whine of a thing - but at least it's distinctive. The songs provided for Aiken, by super-commercial writers ranging from Desmond Child to Aldo Nova, make Mariah Carey's dire compositions sound like groundbreakers.
Yet the pablum Aiken spews attracts people who remain resistant to the lures of hip-hop and harder rock.
Aiken's Broadway-like demeanor and mushy music offer a refuge for the deeply out-of-it - who apparently number in the millions.
Ultimately, his album harks back to the '50s, when the cultural threat of stars like Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis created the need for a reactionary figure.
Aiken has simply become this generation's answer to Pat Boone. And early indications are that Aiken, runnerup to Ruben Studdard in the second edition of the hyper-popular "American Idol," will, like Boone, find commercial success. His first single, "Bridge Over Troubled Water," went No. 1 in June, outselling Studdard's simultaneously released song by more than 200,000 copies.
Certainly, the brain trust behind "Measure of a Man" (which include no less savvy a figure than BMG Records' Clive Davis) was careful not to fiddle with the formula that got Aiken where he is today. The CD extends both the mealy sound and the mewling character that have made fans squeal and critics squirm.
It's wall-to-wall ballads, dripping in syrup. Tinkling pianos open most of them, sweeping up into melodic arcs that encourage the corniest flourishes Aiken can come up with.
Lyrically, the songs may be awash in clichés, but they're clever in the way they hone Aiken's crowd-pleasing persona.
In number after number, he plays the shyest guy in the room, blushing and fumbling through every encounter.
"Even when you look in my eyes/there's a part of me that's still afraid," he croons in "When You Say You Love Me." "Why am I holding back what I'm trying to say?" he asks in "This Is the Night."
That's the vulnerability that first made millions warm to Aiken.
Such geek chic has a long, and financially potent, history in pop.
If it's hardly cool, that's precisely the point.

NY DAILY NEWS REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 10:29:22 PM »

Measure of a Man
By Tracy E. Hopkins

A throwback to wholesome heartthrobs like Pat Boone, Clay Aiken is an unlikely pop star who resembles a young Barry Manilow -- Aiken won't have any parents worrying that their kids' idol worship will lead them to drink or drugs. But anyone who watched him during the 2003 season of American Idol already knows that the North Carolina native's selling point isn't his sex appeal, or lack thereof.

Rather, his standout quality is his powerfully soulful vocals. Although he was the show's runner-up to Luther Vandross clone Ruben "Velvet Teddy Bear" Studdard, Aiken's melodramatic "This Is the Night" topped Studdard's anthemic "Flying Without Wings" to become the year's bestselling single. Aiken's debut album, which producer Clive Davis packs with polished, adult contemporary fare, capitalizes on the young crooner's appeal to adolescent girls who haven't yet discovered their inner bad girl and to middle-aged women in search of a gentleman.

The songs are expectedly middle-of-the road, and without a live audience and judges to win over, Aiken's dynamic voice loses some of its punch. Still, there are plenty of hummable highlights, notably the catchy lead single "Invisible," the country-tinged "The Way," and the haunting soft rocker "No More Sad Songs." Although the charismatic Studdard's disc may reaffirm why he was voted the American Idol champ, the measure of this man means staying true to himself, even if that calls for being a tad nerdy. And for that reason, Aiken may be one of the coolest pop stars around.

BARNES & NOBLE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 10:31:21 PM »

Clay Aiken: Measure of a Man
By Steve Morse, Globe Staff
10/24/2003

The numbers are unreal. This debut record by Clay Aiken (runner-up in the second season of the "American Idol" competition) has sold 613,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan figures, and topped the Billboard 200 album chart as well.

As much as some people might want to hate it, it's really a decent pop album. Yes, it's sugary at times (the song "Touch" has Aiken gushing that "I want to drown in your body and get lost in your charms") and is even a little creepy in "Invisible," where he voyeuristically chimes, "If I was invisibile, then I could just watch you in your room." But most of the songs are honest and believable. He didn't write any of them, but with album producer Clive Davis (need anyone be reminded of his track record with Whitney Houston, Carlos Santana, and Alicia Keyes?), Aiken is placed with many songs that ring true.

He sounds like a poor man's George Michael at times, but he conveys an impressive romantic urgency. The North Carolina-bred Aiken, 24, has made an album that has a young-adult, contemporary-pop feel, not a plastic, teenybop feel. It's hard to say how far he can go, but it's clear that his 15 minutes of fame are not up yet.

BOSTON GLOBE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 10:34:19 PM »

Sincerity marks idol of Clay
Randy Lewis, LA Times

As it turns out, creating an American idol is the easy part. The hard part is figuring out what to do next.

The attractive face, appealing voice and winning personality that earned Aiken runner-up honors in the last "American Idol" contest didn't offer much clue about what he may have to say musically. Neither does his debut album, filled as it is with offerings from the factories of Desmond Child and other youth-pop song scribes.

Mastermind producer Clive Davis surrounds Aiken with studio pros who create glistening, radio-ready sounds recalling such mid-'80s Britpop acts as Tears for Fears and George Michael.

A reverb-drenched guitar over a loping hip-hop track helps the album-closing "Touch" stand out from the Top 40-targeted pack. Other songs, most expressing romantic longing or pledging eternal love, sound indistinguishable from the 'N Sync/Backstreet canon. (Fans who didn't buy Aiken's "This Is the Night" single will still have to if they want his B-side recording of Paul Simon's "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which isn't on the album.)

Aiken dispatches this stuff earnestly, if predictably; a sincerity that transcends the formulaic material occasionally emerging through the idol chatter.

Edit - no link, subscription only. This review from the PRoC messageboard.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 10:37:15 PM »

Measure of a Man
Review by A.D. Amorosi

In the war of American Idols, the porcupine-haired Clay Aiken placed second. But the Southerner showed off a diamond-cutting, Broadway-ish croon that emphasized upper-range emotionalism over simmering soul.

Take that, Ruben.

Aiken's voice makes Man measure up. Despite overcooked production and contempo-pap songs soaked in lovelorn lyrics that portray him as "Invisible," Clay belts with an earnest schmaltz worthy of Ethel Merman.

It would've been nice if his sultry lower register had gotten more use. But the beat-heavy "Touch" and the piano-driven "Perfect Day" prove Aiken has thrilling chops. A little seasoning, some corruption - who knows? He could be as deliciously decadent as Rufus Wainright.

PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 10:39:38 PM »

Measure of a Man

As much as Canada loves Celine, there’s still some room in our hearts for American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken. Sure, his debut album Measure Of A Man is a total schmaltz-fest; they could’ve made Aiken the new Marshall Crenshaw, instead they’ve made him the new Michael Bolton. Sure, I liked him better when he still wore his glasses. Sure, I don’t really understand why his fans equate not liking Aiken’s music with being devil-worshipping, amoral freaks with all-around bad taste. But doggone it, I like the little guy and I’m glad to say he’s at #2 in Canada this week.

CHART ATTACK REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 10:42:14 PM »

Measure of a Man
By: Michelle Aguirre

It was only a matter of time. First there was Kelly and Justin; then there was Ruben and Clay in season two. Pop music reached its peak last summer with the introduction of the infamous TV hit, American Idol. Every week, viewers tuned in to see if there was any musical talent out there and what Simon had to say about it.

Then when you non-pop fans thought you had heard the last of them, Clay Aiken released his new album titled "Measure of a Man."  His debut album is filled with vocals and instrumentals that will leave all the pre-teens yelling for more. With a mixture of the sad, slow, love song and upbeat dance hits, Aiken tries to put a little something for everyone in his album. You won't hear any swear words here; this album is practically "G" rated.

Also included in the album is the single that almost won him the American idol contest, "This is the Night."  His second hit, "Invisible" can also be heard in his debut album. Of course there are a couple of tracks that are as not as good as the others such as "When You Say You Love Me," which sounds like it tries to have just a hint of country inside it. You cannot doubt though, that this album has a unique, fresh genuine quality that is lacking in pop music today.

The lyrics are somewhat full of clichés as in the song, "No More Sad Songs," but it seems to almost be a tribute to all the obstacles Aiken had to overcome just to get into the entertainment industry. There is no doubt that if Aiken had not been offered this record deal, he would have found somewhere else to sing his little heart out.

There is also no doubt that this CD is 100 percent pop and full of ballads and sad songs to get you through the night. If you can't appreciate the sappy lyrics, you'll at least appreciate the terrific vocals displayed by the young singer.

Enemies of pop music beware; Aiken and the rest of the American Idols are here to stay!

U-CAL RIVERSIDE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 10:54:09 PM »

Measure of a Man

A vast improvement over fellow American Idol runner up Justin Guarini’s disastrous debut disc, but Clay Aiken’s album Measure Of A Man (RCA) ought to have been much better than this. It doesn’t take a genius to see that Aiken’s way with classic pop songs, including “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and “Solitaire,” indicated a smart move for the material on his first major label album. I can understand the desire to cover a Desmond Child song, but why not something from his abundant back catalog, say something written before Aiken was born? Several of the songs sound like recycled versions of other hit songs (“Shine,” for instance, resembles a Chicago song). Aiken comes closest to hitting his stride by “I Survived You,” more than halfway through the disc. “Perfect Day,” co-written by former child actress turned singer/songwriter Danielle Brisebois, gives Aiken the perfect opportunity to stretch a little, and the “bonus cut” hit single “This Is The Night” is the kind of Celine Dion-esque power ballad that might make the diva drool a bit. But then the Cathy (“Move To This”) Dennis co-compositions are disappointingly dull. Sadly, Aiken simply doesn’t measure up to his full potential on Measure Of A Man.

WINDY CITY MEDIA GROUP REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 10:59:41 PM »

Measure of a Man
MTV Review

A genuine pop culture phenomenon who unexpectedly transcended the instant fame granted by his second-place finish in the AMERICAN IDOL competition, Clay Aiken made a decidedly un-hip media figure, often looking and sounding more like George Bush's nerdy, Andrew Lloyd Weber-loving nephew than a sexy or dangerous rocker. Perhaps not surprisingly, Aiken (with the help of uber-producer/record-company mogul Clive Davis), has crafted what sounds like the first-ever secular contemporary Christian album.

With an utter lack of pretense and genuine feel-good vibe worthy of the best work of Newsong or Steven Curtis Chapman, MEASURE OF A MAN is a pristinely produced, relaxed-sounding showcase for Aiken's gorgeously clear and unaffected vocal style. On solid pop songs like "Shine" and the McCartney-esque "Perfect Day," the retiring Southern singer communicates his songs in a pure, direct fashion that, by virtue of its appealing simplicity, manages in short order to project more soul than a CD rack full of gut-busting Michael Bolton histrionics. A defining moment in the mainstream pop genre, MEASURE OF A MAN bridges the generation gap between teens and their parents with comforting consistency and a refreshing lack of flash.

MTV REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 11:03:40 PM »

Measure of a Man
Kiwibox Review
by Allie S.

The mania that a man by the name of Clay Aiken has incited has become so colossal that he is now being compared to the likes of Beatle-mania, Mr. Sinatra, and even the King himself, Elvis. With his first CD, produced by Clive Davis and RCA records, Aiken is ready to show the world that with the power of his immaculate voice mixed with his unmatchable charisma, he is a gift; a new-fangled, revitalizing phenomenon inciting a revolution in today’s corrupted pop music industry.

It is no wonder during Measure of a Man's first week of unveiling the album appeared #1 on the Billboard charts, debuting as the highest selling newcomer in 10 years. Selling 613,000 CDs, Aiken sold more than the first week sales Madonna's American Life and Beyonce’s Dangerously In Love combined.

Measure of a Man is a twelve song CD of diverse and somewhat unexpected styles that some may not believe Clay Aiken would embrace. On American Idol, the show that birthed his stardom, some viewers foolishly got the impression that Aiken was too theatrical and would be better suited for the stage. Yet unquestionably, Aiken has proven through his first individual album that his emotional, powerhouse vocals can be sung in any way, shape or form, and he will always sound, and be, remarkable.

Beginning the CD is Invisible, which is the first promotional single from the album. This song is so catchy that after the first time you hear the chorus, you can already start to sing along the next time around. Aiken premiered this track on the American Idol tour this past summer, and also premiered a now famous move known by his followers (a.k.a. Claymates), as the "shirt tug." The energy and charisma he exuded on stage can be felt when listening to this up-beat song.

I Will Carry You is the next song, which holds a divine ambience within it. The lyrics carry an extremely positive message, which is rare nowadays in pop music. The line you should know that you're not alone is a taste of what this song reflects. It is perfect for those that feel lost, confused, or lonely, bringing hope and faith to the listener.

In The Way, the third track, Aiken speaks of a certain something, something which he cannot quite describe, that makes him fascinated with the lucky individual of his affection. This is a poignant effort from Aiken; his vocal talent and range is truly immaculate in it.

When You Say That You Love Me is the song that you want to roll down your windows for while listening to it on a calm spring afternoon. It’s boppy, fun, calming, upbeat, cheerful, and it cannot help but bring a smile to your face. It is surely a song that will turn around a gloomy mood.

No More Sad Song is one where Aiken is rising above and putting a bad relationship behind him. This truly brings out a different ‘angsty’ side of Clay that is interesting to hear. His vocals take on a "rock" edge. There is excellent drum accompaniment with the power of Aiken’s voice, and the mixture helps to convey the song’s message.

Run to Me follows. It is a beautifully written and executed track. The words tell a whole story and could easily be a magnificent theme song to a movie. The chorus seeps through your veins after multiple listens, and it gets better and better each time, as you discover a new emotion that wasn’t recognized previously. There is definitely a longing there; it’s very powerful.

Shine is a song that stands out from the rest in terms of style. It is reminiscent of the 70’s and 80’s, having a mellow vibe with a potent, uplifting message. Though there are many male cynics that seem to hold something against Clay for some nebulous reason, this track should divert their mind-set into the complete opposite direction.

I Survived You is next. A ballad with a fabulous melody, accompanied by an impressive electric guitar at parts, it is about overcoming heartache or something even greater. Aiken truly gets into this one since he personally has had to prevail over real anguish in his own past. His triumph is very convincing, and the way he articulates the words pierces you right in the core.

This is the Night is widely known as the highest selling single since Elton John’s Candle in the Wind, and in it Aiken's vocal’s soar. The words parallel exactly what has happened in his life in the past year. It’s his story, going from the skinny boy named Clayton from Raleigh, North Carolina to the legendary superstar: Clay Aiken. It is his signature song that surged him full force into everyone’s hearts. It is the classic song of Mr. Aiken.

Perfect Day is yet another refreshing standout. With a modern rock-edge, you are forced to belt out the words along with Aiken, because it’s just that kind of song. And when finished, you actually have the approach that, it’s gonna be a perfect day.

Measure of a Man is, according to Aiken, his personal favorite, and just by listening to the lyrics and emotion in his voice, you will see why. Expressive and inspiring, it could be Aiken's view of himself, as he represents what the true ‘measure of a man’ is: substance over style, status, and an artificial persona. The perfect Clay Aiken masterpiece; it shows off what made the world fall in love with that voice. It is guaranteed to bring chills. Incredible.

Touch, is the final ear-opener by this man of many surprises. It i
s danceable, sensual, and up-tempo, with a Latin flavor. The way Aiken evokes so much passion simply by crooning darling and angel is enough to get lost in [his] charm. The craving in his voice is, to put it bluntly, very enticing. Again, Aiken pulls it out of a hat. It is a terrific conclusion to a remarkable debut CD.

Clay Aiken is unquestionably on the rise. Looking back twenty years from now after a number of successful albums, Measure of a Man will be known as changing the music industry as we know it. It will be an exciting journey, following Aiken as he brings people’s focus away from the debasing music of pop in the present day, to music with passion, meaning, and an extra something special: that extraordinary voice.

KIWIBOX REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 11:06:34 PM »

Measure of a Man
San Francisco Chronicle Review
by James Sullivan

What, no "Mrs. Robinson"? The ladies of middle America sure do love that Clay Aiken, the "American Idol" Chia pet who is young enough to be a grandson to many of his most ardent admirers.

The CD booklet to young Clay's full-length debut folds out into a miniature version of the old album-bonus pinup, featuring the freckly singer leaning wistfully over the back of a chair. For many buyers that might prove to be the most valuable piece of this rather slight puzzle.

His forte is the pop power ballad, and there are enough lung-expelling sing- alongs here to inspire Olympic montages into the next century. The sizable studio team includes contributions from such perennial hired hands as Eric Bazilian (the Hooters, Joan Osborne's "One of Us") and hit songwriter Desmond Child (Bon Jovi, Cher), as well as backing vocals by Danielle Brisebois, the former child actor who played Archie and Edith's niece in the waning moments of "All in the Family."

It's not all as bad as it might sound. There's a major guilty pleasure to be had in the kiss-off bombast of "No More Sad Songs." And "The Way" begins as the sonic spitting image of an earlier generation's schmaltzy first-dance favorite, Chris DeBurgh's "The Lady in Red."

This 24-year-old manchild may not measure up to the girth of his fellow "Idol" Ruben Studdard, but we've had worse Jiffy-Pop stars. Much worse.

SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2003, 11:08:24 PM »

Measure of a Man
AllMusic Guide Review
by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Justin Guarini, the runner-up on the first American Idol, released his album ten months after the competition ended and two months after Kelly Clarkson, the winner of the competition, released her debut. Clay Aiken, the runner-up on the second American Idol, released his first album, Measure of a Man, a mere five months after the close of competition and two and a half months before the winner, Ruben Studdard, released his record.

Clearly, Clay was something more than a singer that came in second — he was a bit of a pop phenomenon, capturing the hearts and minds of American Idol's core audience of preteens and housewives. To those not part of either demographic — including those who faithfully watched AMIdol — his appeal is a little puzzling, since he's hardly the cutest teen idol, looking a bit like Thom Yorke as a Southern-fried theater nerd, and his voice his better-suited for show tunes and his musical taste is thoroughly middle-of-the-road. Whenever he tried to tackle dancier material he seemed like he was singing a foreign language, and he never seemed at ease wearing or doing anything remotely hip; at least Kelly and Justin seemed somewhat comfortable doing teen-oriented material.

Clive Davis, smart man that he is, decided to play up Clay's MOR bent on Measure of Man, never pushing Aiken toward club-ready dance cuts like "Miss Independent," or trying to approximate the sound of the Matrix or Neptunes on any cut. Instead, this is firmly pitched at adult contemporary radio, thanks to the cleanly professional production and the selection of self-consciously mature songs, written by such industry stalwarts as Desmond Child and Cathy Dennis (early-'80s metalhead Aldo Nova, of all people, gets in on the action, too, with "This Is the Night," the single that preceded Measure of a Man; it's included here, inexplicably called a "bonus cut," even though it's inserted at track nine of a 12-song album and there's been no version of the album without the song).

Clay's earnest delivery — somewhat sweet and expertly coached — gives these songs a bit of innocence and believability, but the slickness of the whole enterprise overshadows his voice, particularly because his voice isn't all that remarkable on record. Perhaps it's due to the rushed release schedule of the album (to everyone's credit, it doesn't sound rushed), leading to Aiken overworking his voice, but his voice doesn't dazzle the way it occasionally could on the show; isolated from the visuals and his competitors, his voice sounds diminished. Even so, it's perfectly suited for this safe MOR album, and while none of the songs really catch hold, it doesn't matter since the sound of the record is pleasant and perfect for radio, which will please both the preteens and housewives, which is all Measure of a Man needed to do, anyway.

ALLMUSIC GUIDE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2003, 11:10:57 PM »

MUSIC REVIEW: Clay Aiken plays it safe and dull
By Chris Macias, The Sacramento Bee
Published October 31‚ 2003

(SMW) - During "American Idol's" TV season, would-be pop stars compete for a major record contract and all-encompassing adulation. However, it turns out that the true challenge for "American Idol" hopefuls is to maintain a post-show career.

Justin Guarini, the first season's runner-up, released an album that tanked commercially. Meanwhile, the "where are they now" file is filling up with such names as A.J. Gil, Jim Verraros, Charles Grigsby and Ryan Starr.

Clay Aiken has bucked this trend. Though he was a runner-up on "American Idol 2," losing by a smidgen of votes to Ruben Studdard, Aiken might as well have been the champ. He was the first "American Idol 2" contestant to land on the cover of Rolling Stone, and he outsold Studdard when their debut singles were released in June. Aiken is also the first "American Idol 2" finalist to release a major-label album. (Studdard's debut is set for Dec. 9).

"Measure of a Man" (RCA Records), however, doesn't register very high on the excitement meter. On "American Idol," Aiken's mix of geeky charm and belt-'em-out vocals nearly won him the crown. But such new songs as "Shine," "I Will Carry You" and "I Survived You" are a musical slush of midtempo pop and a toned-down version of Aiken's vocals. Amy Grant practically sounds edgy compared to Aiken on "Measure of a Man."

Funkiness was never one of Aiken's stronger suits on "American Idol," though a couple of dance tracks or uptempo tunes - heck, even a medley from "Cats" - would break this album's glib monotony. Aiken's voice is indeed blessed with plenty of Broadway-friendly power and a range that makes him the envy of voice students everywhere. Still, without an audience rooting him on, Aiken simply sounds like he's playing it safe.

SACRAMENTO BEE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2003, 11:15:43 PM »

Measure of a Man
By Jon Caramanica
RS 936, November 27, 2003

Who would have thought in 1981 that the influence of soft-rock kings Chicago would still be felt in 2003? In interviews, twenty-four-year-old Clay Aiken cites Chicago singer Peter Cetera as a vocal idol, and the painstakingly measured ballads collected on his debut, Measure of a Man, make that clear. For everything wrong with Aiken -- his unremarkable phrasing and delivery, his old-man self-importance in a young man's body -- he's adept at this school of middle-of-the-road bombast. He gets perhaps a bit too wistful on "Shine," which borrows liberally from the Chicago standard "Hard to Say I'm Sorry," but when one's whole career is a homage, it's hard to know when the line has been crossed.

ROLLING STONE REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2003, 11:19:15 PM »

Review of MoaM
by Adrian Zupp

Clay Aiken became the boy next door to millions when he was named first runner-up of the second season of Fox TV's mega talent-quest show, American Idol. With his all-American looks and flawless voice, he became an overnight sensation. His first single, the double A-side "Bridge Over Troubled Water"/"This Is The Night" has already been certified platinum having sold more copies in its first week than any other single in history.

Here now, is the highly anticipated debut album from the 24-year-old (he turns 25 on November 30, 2003) Raleigh, North Carolina native. Incidentally, Measure of A Man debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. Can anyone say "instant superstar." As you might expect, this disc is primarily made up of superbly produced love ballads that afford Aiken every opportunity to showcase his rich tenor voice. And he seizes the opportunity with relish.

His heart is in every number and it shows: his range, power and passion are simply breathtaking. There isn't a dull moment or a weak track. The big, glossy sound of "Invisible" opens the disc. A beautifully crafted pop song (written by Desmond Child, Andreas Carlsson and Chris Braide), it harks back to the electric guitar-based torch songs of the '80s. "I Will Carry You" goes a touch further along the pop-rock ballad branch, recalling some of the milder work of Def Leppard.

But it's that voice that dominates and pumps the emotion quotient way up: "When the stars go blind/ And the darkness starts to flood your eyes/ When you're falling behind/ I will carry you." It's high romance all the way with this disc. A natural crooner, Aiken knows how to intone perfectly on delicate ballads like "The Way," a piano-laced, boy-band-style number.

Or he can work his magic on a more regal song like "No More Sad Songs" (think latter day Elton John-Bernie Taupin). "Run To Me" starts out soft as velvet but swells on a sea of strings and, by its climax, Aiken is cutting loose in his upper register with magnificent control and sustain. "This Is The Night," added here as a bonus track, is a deeply moving love song with a huge-hook chorus and, just for something completely different, there's the reverb guitar and Latin rhythms of "Touch" -- guaranteed to get some sultry dancing happening.

It's early days in the career of Clay Aiken. As he moves from television phenomenon to bona fide recording star, fans can rest assured that there's plenty more where this came from. But boy, what a way to start!

WALMART REVIEW
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2003, 11:21:25 PM »

Artist: Clay Aiken
Album: Measure of a Man
Rating: 4.5 of 5
Reviewer: Lilly Frost

Just because Clay Aiken didn’t win the crown of American Idol doesn’t mean he isn’t truly a winner. By looking at the sales of both his first single and the early figures from his album, it is clear who really came out on top.

Clay is an amazing talent and it really shines through on his debut record, Measure Of A Man. This record is a perfect reflection of what a good pop record should be. It has the perfect mix of catchy mid-tempo songs and touching ballads. You can’t help but to sing along and tap your foot to the catchy beats. I think this album is truly extraordinary considering how short a period of time Aiken had to put this together. With sure to be hits like Invisible, When You Say You Love Me, and Measure Of A Man, Clay has amazingly been able to satisfy his wide array of fans.

One thing that did disappoint me a bit was that Clay does not have any writing credits on this album. I for one would love to see what he has to say to the world. Hopefully, he will have more freedom on his next record. Maybe Clay didn’t win the competition, but this record shows who truly deserves the title of American Idol.

MEDIAFIX REVIEW
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx