gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 151
Total: 151

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robbin Yates: Don't Save It All For Christmas Day  (Read 5461 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: November 24, 2004, 06:20:06 PM »

Don’t Save It All For Christmas Day…And Give a Little Love Every Day…

by Robbin Yates

I had a very special experience this week that touched me deeply, and I would love to share if I may.  It is applicable for this time of the year when the holidays are upon us, and emotions are high.   I often wonder if our children really understand the significance of Thanksgiving, and the importance of being truly thankful for what we have. I also have thoughts of those who take life for granted, and become self-absorbed.  It seems that many of our young adults fall into this category, and do not take the time to count their blessings. I recently had a change of heart due to something that opened my eyes.

I was on my way to visit my dear friend Celeste, to join her and my good friend Dora for a fun-filled evening with Clay Aiken.  We watch recaps of his concerts, interviews, and appearances, and listen to his music.  We catch up on the latest being discussed on the fan message boards.  It is our time to escape into a world filled with love and sharing, and the goodness of Clay Aiken. We are excited about his new Christmas CD and inspirational book!

I drove into the local Burger King to pick up some dinner.  As I entered the parking lot, I had my newly acquired Clay Aiken Christmas CD blasting in the car.  There was a nice older couple entering the restaurant and heard the music.  They just turned and gave me a big smile, full of approval and joy.  They were familiar with this music for sure!!  I placed my order at the drive-thru, and approached the window.

I was blasting “Don’t Save It All For Christmas Day” which is my very favorite off this “Merry Christmas With Love” CD!  As I fumbled for my money and was singing along as usual, I apologized for the music being so loud and reached to turn it down.  I looked up and saw a lovely young girl of color with a beautiful smile on her face.  She was grinning from ear to ear, and told me “That’s okay…you don’t need to turn it down!”   I proudly announced that “it was Clay Aiken and this is from his new Christmas CD.”  I don’t know why but I did not think she would know of it.  I assumed she would be more into hip-hop or R&B music because of her age of 16 or 17. She said, “I know…. I just bought it at Best Buy two days ago!”  

Well, I was just overjoyed and blurted out “Don’t you just love it?  I have bought 13 myself!!”  There were three other young teens inside who just stopped and stared.  They heard the music and their mouths dropped open. You could tell they were blown away by the voice!!  It is so very contagious, and you cannot help but just want to listen.  I politely thanked her for my food, and noticed her mouth glistened with braces as she smiled. She had the sweetest countenance on her face, and seemed happy and confident.

As I drove away, my eyes began to well up with tears.  It dawned on me that this beautiful young person was at a crossroads in her life, when decisions about futures are made.  These teen years are so critical, and they need to be surrounded by positive role models to promote self-confidence.  This role model is Clay Aiken.  

I felt assured that this young woman had her priorities in order.  She was, after all, a   working, responsible young adult.  She seemed the type to be college-bound and overwhelmed with hopes and dreams.  She was so pleasant that I wondered what career she would choose.  I could imagine her working with children, as she appeared patient, and kind.  In a few short moments I had these feelings about her.  I was confident if she listened to the music of Clay Aiken, she would indeed make a difference in the world!!  I was at peace.

In this day and age, I feel teenagers are often misjudged.  There is so much negativity in the news regarding teens with drugs, and violence and sexual promiscuity.  It seems that is what the news media dwells on.  

Many often don’t think of them as being responsible young adults.  We are concerned about the impact they will make in the world, if they make one at all!!  

My thoughts immediately veered from the negative to the positive. I was just so blessed about the feelings I had at that moment.  I was so thankful for Clay Aiken and the impact he is making in the world of young adults.  I saw it in that amazing young life as she served up fries and burgers.  It was humbling to me, to say the least.

I am reassured to know those young people who listen to his music will be more caring, more giving, and more compassionate toward their piers.  I know they will not judge others who may appear different, but accept everyone as an equal.  I pray that his music, and support of his charities, will teach them to reach out to those less fortunate.  I believe in my heart, he is the hope of this generation.  He will be a beacon in the dark for those making critical decisions about life.

As they read his book, they can be inspired to know his life is similar to many.  There is a common bond they will share about heartache and lessons learned.  Even more than that, they will learn to persevere when life’s challenges seem impossible to overcome.

As Thanksgiving approaches, these individuals will truly be thankful for all they have, and will have in the years to come.  They will be a generation of self-confident and responsible young adults who will pass this on their children.  They will promote sharing and giving and more importantly… love.  If anyone promotes love, it is Clay Aiken.  And he stresses the importance of reaching out, of educating, and of changing minds.

I wish I had his book in my car when I drove up to that window.  I would have given it to her to enjoy, and learn from.  I wanted to give, and share, and spread love myself at that very moment.  Those are the feelings I have when I hear his music, and I often become misty-eyed at the thought.

The words to that song playing are so appropriate and meaningful. This is a song we should listen to year-round, and take heed to its’ message.  “Don’t save it all for Christmas day, and give a little love every day………your whole life through…let them know love.”

If these young adults indeed get the message, let them give thanks on this Thanksgiving, aspire to make changes, and spread love about the world.  As they embark on their journeys through life, let them remember to listen to their hearts for guidance. This is the generation who will make a difference, one by one and day by day, and that is what it is all about.  

Thank you, Clay Aiken, for reminding us it is possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Write to Robbin at robbinayates@aol.com
Copyright 2004 by Robbin Yates. Printed with the permission of the writer.
Heatherr
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:00:08 AM »

Some may have seen me on the Clay Aiken Message Boards, so you may remember my sadness.  2004 has not been a good year, for me. I lost my favorite pup, a long-haired dachshund, last February. My ex spouse, and I have been apart for 5 long years. He tried to start a new life, but apparently, it did not go as planned, and he became very unhappy, and trapped in a situation, he felt, he could not get out of.
He just wanted to return to his "family", of 25 years, but there was more to it, than that. What it was, I do not know. He always did his best to shield me from the unpleasantness, of his "new" life. I spoke with him last June, and the last words we said, were, "I love you." He would be back here, in Connecticut the next day.
My son showed up around 10:30, the next morning. Not smiling. Very uncharacteristic for him. He held me tight, and told me, "Mom, Dad is gone." I told him I knew. He was on his way here, because I talked to him last night at 8pm, and he was on his way, after a quick trip to his new home in Florida, to pick up a few things.  My son stood back, still clutching my arms, stared me in the eye, and informed me, that his father would not be coming home. Ever. He hung himself that night, about 2 hours after we spoke. Although we were no longer married on paper, we still were married in our hearts. I have never dared to find love again.
The reason I am writing this, is because prior to my ex-husbands death, he called my friends, begging them to take me out. I was so depressed, and all I did, was sit in my room, watching re-runs, of AI2, and interviews, and last years' Christmas Show. My walls are plastered in Clay Aiken posters, and heaven help the one, who touches my "Clay Box", containing all my memorabilia. LOL! Steve, my ex, thought at the age of 45, I should be out and about, having fun. What he failed to realize, was, Clay WAS my fun. My outlet!
When my best friend died, (my ex-hubby) I listened to Clay's CDs, and found BOTW, and I Will Carry You, along with This is the Night, to be very uplifting. I would listen, and cry, not only for the loss of my friend, but the beauty, Clay managed to bring into my life.
There was actually a "pool", going on in Steve's family, to see how long it would be, before I followed him, "to find him." They were correct in their assumption, that I had died inside, and only wanted to be emotionally pain free.  
What kept me going, was my love for this wonderful, handsome, red-haired man, with the voice of an ANGEL!  I knew his Christmas CD would be coming out, and I had been waiting to finally get to hear him sing, "Oh Holy Night." Sure enough, there it was, the first track on the CD.
Money was tight, since my ex's passing. I could not afford to get the CD. I lost my job in September of 2004. Boss retired. LOL!  Story of my life!
I have a birthday, coming up, on Dec.2, two days after Clays. So my wonderful, but non communicating, son and daughter, each felt they would do me a huge favor. An early birthday gift!!!  My beloved Clay Christmas CD, AND his book, Learning to Sing. I received doubles of both! LOL! They forgot to exchange information with each other. My son went one step further, and got me the Clay Aiken Calendar, for 2005. I really had no intentions of being here in 2005. Thought I might be in a better place by then, holding my soulmate's hand again.
Of course, both children offered to return the gifts! ABSOLUTLY NOT!!! I wanted it all. I have a hard time putting Clay's book down. Almost done.
I loved my song as well, "Oh Holy Night", but what really shocked me, was "Mary did you Know?" I had never heard that before. It is hauntingly beautiful, and I cried, not out of sadness, but because I felt such a warmth in my heart, as I listened. It was a similar feeling to one I had before. Then it hit me! It was LOVE!  My heart has been "on ice" for such a long time, I forgot what that felt like.
Go ahead, call me a "windbag", because when it comes to Mr.Aiken, I am!!
Now I have to wait, and watch his Christmas Special on 12/8/04.  I just don't have time to die, right now.  Clay is always is coming up with something new, for me to wait for.
So to Clay Aiken, I say, Thank you so much!! You keep giving me reasons to live.  I know you love helping children, but you have also managed to save one more life........Mine! I am an adult, not a child, but you really helped me, without even knowing it. You said you hoped you could touch at least one persons' life, and make a difference.  Well, mission accomplished!         HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE![/b]
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 05:28:46 PM »

Heather, I am sorry for all the sadness you have lived with for the past year.  It's always good to have something to give us a purpose, to make us care, to touch our hearts.  I'm glad that for you, it was Clay and his music.  Happy Birthday on Thursday, and I hope your Christmas holiday is warm and wonderful.  

Take care
Pamela
outthereforclay
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 05:33:12 PM »

Heather, bless you....as the joy and hope that is Clay Aiken already has. He is truly a beacon to so many people; he seems to fill voids in each of us and give us a real spark for life, doesn't he?

I don't know you, but your story has touched me. Continue to hold on to that strong pulse that thinking about, listening to and watching Clay provides.

And also take strength from the incredible network of people who share your love for him....we are an amazing testament to the power of Clay!

Have a wonderful holiday season!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx