gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 273
Total: 273

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dianne Austin: Clay Aiken LA CD Release Party Nov 16, 2004  (Read 2223 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: November 21, 2004, 04:12:06 PM »

Clay Aiken LA CD Release Party—Merry Christmas With Love
Burbank Hilton Airport Hotel and Convention Center
November 16, 2004

by Dianne Austin

Today was a banner day for Clay Aiken fans around the world. We were able to treat not only our ears, but also our hearts and souls to a great combination of entities: Clay’s incomparable voice, paired with the music everyone looks forward to hearing all year long—the music of Christmastime.

And what better way to celebrate then to convene somewhere in the city and help Clay kick off the sales of his new album Merry Christmas With Love?

So that’s what we did at the Burbank Hilton Hotel from about 6-11 p.m. on Tuesday night.

There were close to one hundred and fifty LA fans that gathered at the Hotel and Convention Center with lots of balloons, raffle prizes, Toys for Tots, Wrapping for Inclusion, a snack buffet, and special guests to inform and entertain—all against the backdrop of the glorious sound of Clay singing the carols of Christmas.

The committee of six ladies who hosted and organized the celebration (Sue O’Hearn, Shelley Flores, Kathy Parent, Denise Trauger, Michelle Colleluori and Shannon Russell) did a fabulous job of orchestrating the evening to produce a smooth and festive flow of events and a good time for all who attended.

And what was the most evident characteristic of the entire night? Well, I’d say that if some strangers had happened to walk in the room (people who didn’t know much about Clay Aiken, his fans, or his special friends attending this party), they would definitely have noticed a lot of love and caring, networking and planning; much emotion and devotion to one common denominator—Mr. Clay Aiken.

It all seemed contagious; lots of good crowd vibes rubbing off on each other to make everyone feel like one big happy family, if only for just a few hours.

I had fun mixing and mingling with several fans I’d met before, those I’d never met, but knew their name through e-mail, and many who I was getting to know for the first time. I loved hearing the stories about their meeting Clay, how he’s inspired them in their lives, how they work for his causes, all while brimming with excitement over hearing his new music for the first time and the anticipation of listening to many of those songs in person at the upcoming concerts they’d be going to on his present tour entitled “Joyful Noise”.

Clay’s fans are the people I love and relate to; they are the people I speak to when I write, and there’s nothing better than spending time listening to how they feel about him.

The party really got started when the special guests of the evening arrived. Our halls were graced by people such as Fred Bronson (Columnist, Billboard Magazine), Michael Orland (Musical Director, American Idol), Greg Evans (Cartoonist, Luann Comic Strip), Ernie Halter (former guitarist/backup singer for Clay), and a surprise visit from Rickey Smith (AI2 Finalist). All of these terrific gentlemen waltzed into our midst with the most gracious, open, warm and fuzzy attitudes you could ever hope to see in celebrity demeanor.

I was pretty blown away when I stepped up to their reception line during the first few minutes they were there, to be received with open arms for a big hug by Mr. Fred Bronson, who set the stage for more hugs from the others that stood by to say hello. They proceeded to take pictures with the fans for a good part of the evening, and I wondered how their eyes were faring when the zillionth light flashed from the camera; how their cheeks felt after maintaining the perpetual smiles they had on their faces as they spoke to all the people who had gathered to ask them one more question about Clay Aiken.

The excitement grew when the special guests became a panel for fielding questions about Clay. There were many questions covering a myriad of subjects, and each visitor was asked to comment on specific things.

I will give highlights here. However, if you’d like a detailed account of what was discussed, you can click on the video footage link at the website or you can go to this LINK to read Marla’s excellent report of all that was said. Thank you Marla for the wonderful recap of the Q&A discussions!

Fred Bronson spoke about radio airplay (which is always an issue with Clay fans) and was quite informative about why he thinks Clay doesn’t get the airtime he deserves. He told us about “Promosquad” and what we can do as fans to promote more radio time for Clay.

Later on, something came up about the difference between AI stars and other kids that have hit it big, like Britney, Christina, Justin, etc. There was speculation about whether the child-star derivatives had been contestants on the older talent competition known as Star Search and if so, why hadn’t they received flak about being the product of a talent search in the same way the AI kids have? This issue stirred up a lot of debate, which Mr. Bronson handled with a definite amount of aplomb and joie de vivre.

Greg Evans is a very handsome man with a wonderfully low-key, subtle personality. Although I did not spend much one-on-one time with him, I could tell he and I would have related well. With somewhat of a dry wit and the ever-recognizable characteristics of a person very high in the “creative” food chain, he offers an interesting demeanor and presentation of information. He kept referring to the fact that he was worried we may have had some hidden fruits and vegetables that might get thrown at him if he mentioned anything negative about not immediately continuing with the “Clay strips” for his Luann character. He made reference again later to someone hitting him with a tomato when a fan asked if Clay is mentioned anywhere in Greg’s new book. As it turns out, Clay is not mentioned in this first book of his, but will be in a subsequent one.

I especially enjoyed his account of how he really came to know and appreciate Clay Aiken. Apparently, he happened to be at the CD party last year and was extremely impressed with the fans that he met. There was something about the love and strength that came out of that group which affected him. After that, he began to really take a look at the unique performer and the human being.

Ernie Halter was sweet, wide-eyed and well spoken. He had lots of great commentary for us about Clay’s personality traits and humor, having worked with him so closely as a band member when Clay was just off AI. There was a cute story about a few times when Ernie had some minor accidents with spilling, dropping and knocking down of things in general (and all of this, after reading a book on Yoga, whereby most people would believe one should be gaining some mind and body control to counteract such accidents.) Ernie said it was at one point that Clay had quipped, “everything you touch turns to broke!”

Then it was time for Michael Orland, and we were suddenly entertained with some great stand-up comedy. He came up to the mike, and without anyone’s question to prompt him, he glibly began with, “Hi, I’m Michael Orland, and I’m an overeater”. Michael has a smooth, silky way of speaking for a few minutes about something with a subtle smile on his face, and then very sneakily slipping in a clever little punch line at the end of his sentence. I was definitely amused.

He wouldn’t let go of the centerpiece he had just won at his table because he had the red dot stuck to the underneath side of his chair. When he came up to the podium, he was still carrying the round glass bowl with the blue balloons streaming from the center of it. When Michael left the building, he was clutching the centerpiece to his chest. Very cute.

He spoke much about American Idol because the questions that came to him centered on the show. He’s diplomatic—definitely in Clay’s corner—but never once bad-mouthed the producers or the judges. He didn’t even have one negative thing to say about Simon! As much as the fans insisted that some of Simon’s tactics are unnecessary and degrading, and that perhaps the producers may not have the best promotional intentions or motivations, Mr. Orland did not budge an inch. Understandable, because after all, he does work for them; his name is attached to the show.
In the middle of telling a story about what it was like when Clay was a part of it all, he stepped aside and let Rickey Smith take over.

Wow, was I impressed! I had forgotten what a personality this man has! Taller and wider-shouldered than I remembered him to be on TV, Rickey came across as a confident, warm, funny, good looking young man who has an easy way in front of a crowd, and who most definitely has the greatest respect and admiration for Clay Aiken.

We loved hearing the stories about Clay and Rickey and Josh and Ruben in the house. How they felt about getting along with so many different kinds of people, the practical jokes that took place, and having to deal with somebody leaving every week.

Rickey’s best memory: “getting all the free stuff they give you!” And the worst: “getting kicked off the show”. He tickled us. He did bring up “the free stuff” a number of times, and every time he did, he sold it as a funny line because of his easy delivery.

The Q&A continued longer than anyone had planned. When you get great celebrity guests that are down to earth and funny with wonderful Clay Aiken info and stories to pass on to the fans, the questions never stop coming.

So when one of the hostesses suggested getting the raffle underway, we thought the gentlemen would make a quick getaway. But no! They stayed seated and actually picked the numbers out of the hat! It just blew me away! This was dedication. And I must call out to Clay at this point and say, “You’ve got some pretty dedicated friends in the business Mr. Aiken”. These guys went above and beyond the call of duty to fill in for your not being there!

Games had been played, prize numbers called out and prizes given, the guests had spoken their peace. Food was tasted, lots of CD’s had been sold and lovingly handed out, Clay had provided the beautiful new music for us to listen to for the evening, and when all was said and done, it was one pretty satisfied crowd.

A few hours were spent celebrating some new music for the upcoming season. The end result: it’s some very special music, produced, orchestrated, and arranged for an extraordinary singer.

And judging from all the tales that were told and feelings that unfolded there that night, the celebration had also been taking place for an extremely exceptional man.

Special Addendum: A Review of a Definitive Song from Merry Christmas With Love:
In the days that followed the LA CD Release Party for his Christmas Album, there have been a multitude of reviews from every corner of the universe (it seems like!) all converging at once, to create an explosion of emotion for our Secret Santa this year, Mr. Clay Aiken. Every review is hugely wrought with nothing but accolades. The gift he has given us will make this Christmas a very special holiday indeed.

And with that in mind, I must make mention of what I think is my choice for best song of the album, as it is a question I like to ask of the fans, who have given me so very many different answers.

For me, it can only be one song. And what is ironic, is that out of this Christmas album, this music that is so specific and usually not listened to during the rest of the year, comes a song that I think is THE definitive song for Clay Aiken—for anytime of the year. My favorite is “Don’t Save it All for Christmas Day”.

If this wasn’t your special song before, I think you’ll change your mind if you listen to it one more time and keep what I have to say here in mind:
The song is a showcase for Clay; who he is, how well he performs, and his message to the world. It all comes together because of the lyrics, the voice and the orchestration. He is able to vary his tone and attitude by starting off with a sweet and sexy sound:

Don’t get so busy that you miss, givin’ just a little kiss to the ones you love...
And don’t even wait a little while to give just a little smile to the ones you love—a little is enough!

That beginning sounds like just a jazzy, cute little tune with a loving message. But wait, here’s the next line—and all of a sudden we’re swept into huge emotion:

How many people are cryin’? Some people are dyin’
How many people are askin’ for love?

Clay asks us those questions—he cries out to us, and the sexy little tune becomes so much more. And even beyond that it takes on more intensity when he gets to the bridge; because Clay must mention the children, always the children. . .

Let all the children know everywhere they go, their whole life long
Let them know love -------------------------------------------!!!!!!

The glory note. And how appropriate is it that it comes when he’s speaking of the children? Clay relates to children—read his book and you’ll know that memories of his own childhood are so vivid; more so than most people’s, I think.

When you think about it, Christmas is what Clay Aiken is inherently about. His faith, his love for his fellow man and an obvious desire to want to make a difference in the world by helping those less fortunate than himself; these translate to the embodiment of the man, which have always been the symbols and the blessings of Christmastime.

“Don’t Save it All. . . “ wraps everything up into one nutshell, one neat present. It’s filled with gut-wrenching, pure, unadulterated love—he’s letting you all know that the love you feel at Christmastime should be expressed throughout the year. The love we feel for a a child, a lover, a neighbor, a friend, a stranger; just give it and grab it every day and every way you can.

Love comes in so many different kinds of packages, and sometimes, the smallest, most oddly shaped; perhaps poorly wrapped things surprise us and turn out to be the best gifts of all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor: Michelle Arce
E-Mail Dianne deedaustin@yahoo.com

Copyright 2004 Dianne Austin.  Printed with the permission of the writer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only link to this page if sharing the article. Do not copy this article in full.  Thank you!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx