gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:47:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 355
Total: 355

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Claymaniac's reflections on the election  (Read 2939 times)
juls
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:24:06 PM »

After the election last week, I went to North Carolina for a couple of days to visit some dear friends.  As I sat on my friends’ porch staring out at beautiful Lake Lure, watching the sun reflect off the Lake, I started to do some of my own reflecting.   It occurred to me after discussing the election with my friends (whom I love dearly but whom I disagree with politically) that even though we have profoundly different views of the kind of leadership that would be best for our country, there are so many ideals and values that we have in common and it is on this level that we have connected and formed a special friendship.  We respect each other tremendously, we listen to each other’s viewpoints, we are tolerant of one another and we love each other, despite our very different political opinions.  Being in North Carolina, I got to thinking about (gee – what a surprise) none other than Clay Aiken and I began to wax philosophical.  I can’t think of Clay without thinking of Claymaniacs.  So, sure enough my thoughts wandered to Claymaniacs and the diversified group that has come together here on the board.  My relationship with my friends in NC and the relationships I have cultivated here at Claymaniacs have a great many similarities.  You should know that I’m not much of a poster on Claymaniacs.   I’ve always felt more comfortable as a lurker and I don’t stray from lurkdom very often.  I generally only post when I feel truly passionate about a particular topic.  Today is different – and I hope you all won’t mind.  It’s just that I’d really like to share with you how this Clay community of ours has given me a sense of hope and peace of mind in the post election climate of our country.  The kind of hope I’m talking about is not the hope that I feel watching the principled way that Clay is making his way in the world, nor is it the hope that has helped me to open my heart to the possibility that there are a great deal many more good and kind hearted men in this world than I previously realized.  The kind of hope which I am speaking of is inspired by all of you.  I read a great many of your posts and I can’t help but think about the incredible diversity of the members here.  I’m sure many of you have reflected on the fact that we most certainly are people of different cultural, religious and geographic backgrounds, different ethnicities and nationalities, people who are from different income brackets and different political persuasions.  Sometimes we disagree and we have had a tense moment or two around here.  But for the most part, my experiences here have helped me to be more open to different points of view, to respect the variations that make some of us as different as night and day and to realize that despite our disagreements and divergent opinions, we share a commonality that links us all at a fundamental level.  No matter what our disparities may be, we all come to this board to celebrate what unites us – the common ground upon which all of us can stand together – a profound respect and appreciation for Clay, personally, professionally and yep – physically too. We all get it. Not only do we share a love of Clay’s voice, but it seems to me that most of us sincerely believe in what he stands for; refusing to sacrifice his integrity in order to sell more CDs, the tireless charitable work, the empathy and kindness he shows to terminally ill and disabled children, the fact that he takes being a role model seriously (just to name a few).  My point is that the media has been talking up a war of values in this country.  They talk about the sharply different “moralities”, which are felt as passionately by those on the right as they are by those on the left.  Frankly, I have found this talk of divisiveness to be a bit depressing.  But sitting and reflecting in Lake Lure, North Carolina, my depression began to lift.  The bond we share here is real and it runs to the core of our beings.   We share a certain perspective on life that can’t be overlooked or taken too lightly.  I realized that despite the divisions that do exist in this country, we at Claymaniacs are an example of how it is possible to find common ground in this country and to focus on what unites us.  A couple of years ago, I would have laughed at the ridiculous notion that participating in a fan web-site for a pop star would renew my faith in our country and bring me a sense of hope for our future.  Who knew?  Pollyanna has left the building.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:30:23 AM »

Quote from: juls
No matter what our disparities may be, we all come to this board to celebrate what unites us – the common ground upon which all of us can stand together – a profound respect and appreciation for Clay, personally, professionally and yep – physically too. We all get it.

Thank you for this juls.

You know, I've had a temp today of 101.6 and feel like crap.  I'm either freezing or burning up and everything hurts.  But every time I managed to stay awake for more than five minutes, I had to come here and check things out.  Just read for a while.  Made me feel better somehow.

This place certainly isn't perfect, but I think it means different things to different people.  For some, it's a place to escape from the "reality" of the rest of their day.  For others, it is their reality, a place where they can be themselves and express themselves.  For others, it's a place to forge friendships beyond Clay, and for some others it's a place to ::swoon drool thud:: and just have Fun!

When people ask me about this forum, I always tell them one thing: that the people here are good people.  No matter what our age, gender, background or location, that's what I see you all have in common.  But I also enjoy what makes each of us different.  Our different ages, genders, backgrounds and locations are what bring lots of interesting perspectives and ideas.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all good.  And it's because of you all.  So, thank you all and here's a cheer for the man that brought us all together - thank you Clay!

PS- Lake Lure is a lovely place juls!
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »

PAM SO SORRY YOU ARE NOT FEELING WELL.  IT IS A TOUGH TIME OF YEAR AND WE ALL ARE RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% THAT IF IT WASN'T FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL SITE THAT CHANGED MY LIFE IN SO MANY WAYS I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE.

RELATIONSHIPS DEVELOPED WITH SO MANY OF YOU AS WELL AS OUR LOVE FOR CLAY THAT BINDS US TOGETHER IS THE ULTIMATE GIFT THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO ME.  

THANK YOU CLAY AND THANK YOU CLAYMANIACS.

HUGS
LORRAINE
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 12:08:20 PM »

Here here!!!!!  Pamela, sorry you're sick

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
Claytime
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »

Pamela, get better soon.  We need you!  I'm sorry you are not feeling well.
Claytime
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:14:29 PM »

Juls- your deep thoughts are so inspirational.  You may not post alot, but when you do - all of your posts are meaningful!  I really do admire your insightfulness.wave
forever_clay
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 03:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Pamela
This place certainly isn't perfect, but I think it means different things to different people.  For some, it's a place to escape from the "reality" of the rest of their day.  For others, it is their reality, a place where they can be themselves and express themselves.  For others, it's a place to forge friendships beyond Clay, and for some others it's a place to ::swoon drool thud:: and just have Fun!

yes pamela, beautifully spoken and in all honesty, as i sat here and read it, i couldn't figure out which way i am. yes, this place is my escape from reality, yet this is the only REAL place that i have these days and always feel most like myself when i am here.

thank you for once again making me realize just how special this place is!
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »

They talk about the sharply different “moralities”, which are felt as passionately by those on the right as they are by those on the left. Frankly, I have found this talk of divisiveness to be a bit depressing.

I too have been depressed as a result of the politicians' attempts to persuade the citizens into believing that our country is in moral divide.  I applaud you for your introspection........your ability to see beyond the political agendas........to see that the moralistic "situation" in this country is not necessarily what our politicians would like us to believe.  We may be Democrats, Republican, Independents, etc., and reflect all or only part of what these labels represent, yet we are are all unique human beings living in a country where we have the right and freedom to think beyond our leaders' views........to think for ourselves and to explore and seek the truth.

But sitting and reflecting in Lake Lure, North Carolina, my depression began to lift. The bond we share here is real and it runs to the core of our beings. We share a certain perspective on life that can’t be overlooked or taken too lightly. I realized that despite the divisions that do exist in this country, we at Claymaniacs are an example of how it is possible to find common ground in this country and to focus on what unites us.

Thank you, Juls, for sharing your reflective journey with us.  You've made me feel better and restored me with a sense of hope for unity.

Pamela, hope you are feeling better soon.  Many healing thoughts go out to you.  Take care!

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 06:07:26 PM »

One more thing about what my smart friend juls said.

Quote from: juls
We respect each other tremendously, we listen to each other’s viewpoints, we are tolerant of one another and we love each other, despite our very different political opinions.

Check it out.  Respect, listening, tolerance and love.  With these things we can all grow, learn, adapt and overcome our differences.  

Pollyanna2, peace out!  

Thanks for the good vibes everyone!
heartaiken
Claynewbie

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 08:26:08 PM »

I second everything said! we are a good group of people.
wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 09:16:19 PM »

juls -

Thanks for sharing your reflections so passionately, yet so gently.  

That is exactly the kind of person you are.  

You have reminded us that people with opposing views have options other than being divided.   It all goes back to being respectful of each others' differences.

This Claymaniac website is an excellent example of a very diverse group, which has been pointed out by so many of us who are drawn here!

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
juls
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 09:17:27 PM »

Just popped back in to say thanks for your thoughtful and caring responses.  I enjoyed reading all of your comments and you've made me feel good about mustering the courage to open up and share some personal thoughts.  
heartbraiken4clay
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 10:07:35 PM »

Juls - Thank you so much for your thoughts and insight which you worded so well.  

Who knew a year ago that I would have made so many friends of different, ages, backgrounds, etc.... It's an amazing site where those things just simply don't matter so much.  

Pamela - As Forever_Clay said I don't know which one I am either, I come here to escape, to be myself, and I always seem to Thud at least once when I visit this site!!!!! I hope you get better soon!!!

Talk to ya'll later - Larissa
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 04:51:17 AM »

So very heartfelt & true comments.  

Angela

PS. Pamela so sorry you are under the weather

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx