gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 213
Total: 213

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DEC 12-13 RALEIGH MEYMANDI HALL BTI CENTER FAN REVIEWS  (Read 2452 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: November 05, 2004, 09:19:05 PM »

OFFICIAL THREAD!
ncfan
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 06:09:25 AM »

There are not enough superlatives to describe Clay's performance in Raleigh last night or the behavior of the fans attending the concert.  I was so worried after reading some of the boards that I might be angry at people around me yelling or taking flash pictures.  Not a chance, I met some great people who were there just like me to enjoy Clay and that we surely did.

Clay's glory notes were glorious.  His humor kept us laughing and the dedication of a song to his grandmother and the hug he gave her at the end could have put us in tears.

What a wonderful memory for this Christmas season.
mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 06:40:28 AM »

Quote from: ncfan
There are not enough superlatives to describe Clay's performance in Raleigh last night or the behavior of the fans attending the concert.  I was so worried after reading some of the boards that I might be angry at people around me yelling or taking flash pictures.  Not a chance, I met some great people who were there just like me to enjoy Clay and that we surely did.

Clay's glory notes were glorious.  His humor kept us laughing and the dedication of a song to his grandmother and the hug he gave her at the end could have put us in tears.

What a wonderful memory for this Christmas season.

great review!!!!!!!  

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:23:04 PM »

You know the songs, so here are just some random thoughts from the show.  It’s long, sorry.  I tried to make it shorter, but I forgot how. In fact, I’ve practically forgotten everything, including how to think. Maybe this is that Christmas spirit thing I’ve heard so much about. Wink

Dear Clay:

Please sing every concert in Raleigh from now on in a place like Meymandi Hall where the acoustics are sublime and your voice sounds otherworldly.

ThanX!

His voice filled up the space like it was the very air we were breathing. I think I got a catch in my throat at the very first note he sang, and didn’t lose it until…well, I’m not sure I’ve lost it even yet.  

I swear I didn't know I was so sentimental about Christmas, of all things. I don't even like Christmas all that much; what it has become anyway.
But sure enough, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas was when I started smiling, and when my face felt numb by Merry Christmas With Love I realized I had been grinning like some loony bird the whole time.  

First things first - What Are You Doing New Years Eve…where did that come from?!?!  One minute he's singing a bouncy Sleigh Ride and a schmaltzy waltz and the next he's visually slaying everyone on the front row, and the next thing I know I’m on my knees turned backwards in my seat watching him dance with his former teacher not twelve seats away.  How embarrassing, but whatever. I was … feeling the spirit. Yeah, that’s it. ::blushes::

He’s very tall.  He was moving slowly, so slowly down the aisle, ravaging everyone with his laser greens. It looked like he was prowling, seeking something, or someone, to drive mad with just a touch. I noticed things – such as that he knows how to slow dance like he means it. He also knows how to hold someone when he slow dances. He really, really does. His teacher gave him a little kiss, he gave her back a killer smile. Holy smackers.  Merry Christmas to meee!

::dies::

When they announced a twenty minute intermission, I think I groaned.  I think it was out loud. Oops!

The second half was magnificent.  O Holy Night was such a glorious hymn of praise; so dynamic and somehow mysteriously subtle at the same time.  Silent Night was so beautiful, it’s one of my favorites on the CD.  I’ve never heard his voice sound quite so sweet as when he sings Silent Night.

You’ve all heard about Clay singing I’ll Be Home for Christmas to his Granny and Papa Aiken.  He sat on the edge of the stage right in front of them, front row center. I thought about the “gas” joke in the book and smiled. It looked like his grandfather reached out for Clay at one point during the song; I didn’t know how he could go on singing.  I could barely breathe, but he sang on.  His face was glowing. It was very, very touching.

Don’t Save it All for Christmas Day was powerful and passionate. You can tell the lyrics hold meaning and he was feeling it!  At the end when he crouches down it’s like he is channeling some great vocal force that starts in his toes and it travels up and out and fills up the whole room with a blast of truth……Yeah!

Second only to the songs themselves is watching Clay as he feels the power of the songs.  It almost makes me feel like a voyeur watching him experience the music. I am a peeping tom y’all.

As I mentioned last night, the inspiring glory notes, the extended wails, the emotive power Clay expresses in song always make my heart beat faster.  But with these songs, in these venues, with the kids, the choruses, the lighting, the simplicity of the set design, I was much more touched by the gentleness, the instances of a more tender delivery, the sweet passion expressed in the more substantive presentations.

And speaking of substance, the encore of Good News was breathtaking. This was performance art - the stark vision of Clay in black against the white curtain, his eyes cast upward in respect and praise, the focused lighting on the choir behind the curtain, it all gave the scene an ethereal tone. He didn't stand center stage because this wasn't about him, this was about something higher taking center stage. I never felt as though I were in church.  But I did feel as if I was witness to a personal exploration and intimate giving of thanks and worship. That peeping tom thing again.  Thanks Clay, for letting me watch.  

It was quite beautiful and entertaining and special. Very special.

I will treasure this concert always; I’m not sure I will ever hear this particular voice again, filled with such awe and gratitude and sentiment.  Clay’s voice, when it touches you like a gentle caress, goes a long way toward making you understand what he must be feeling when he sings the songs. He shares that, and what a gift it is.  For me, Clay is the Christmas spirit.
outthereforclay
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 10:49:10 PM »

His voice filled up the space like it was the very air we were breathing.
exactly so....

How embarrassing, but whatever. I was … feeling the spirit. Yeah, that’s it. ::blushes::
Oh, yeah....he's got your spirit right THERE!

It looked like he was prowling, seeking something, or someone, to drive mad with just a touch. I noticed things – such as that he knows how to slow dance like he means it. He also knows how to hold someone when he slow dances. He really, really does.

Hey! I thought you guys didn't allow fanfic on claymaniacs!

When they announced a twenty minute intermission, I think I groaned. I think it was out loud. Oops!

At the end when he crouches down it’s like he is channeling some great vocal force that starts in his toes and it travels up and out and fills up the whole room with a blast of truth……Yeah!

Loved this! It IS like he's channeling some otherworldly vocal force: his whole body is affected (as is mine )

It almost makes me feel like a voyeur watching him experience the music. I am a peeping tom y’all.
Move over....

As I mentioned last night, the inspiring glory notes, the extended wails, the emotive power Clay expresses in song always make my heart beat faster.

But with these songs, in these venues, with the kids, the choruses, the lighting, the simplicity of the set design, I was much more touched by the gentleness, the instances of a more tender delivery, the sweet passion expressed in the more substantive presentations.
What I really love and am always impressed by is the ease with which he can switch between the subtle and powerful...and still own all the nuances in between the two extremes. I lurve him.

He didn't stand center stage because this wasn't about him, this was about something higher taking center stage.  But I did feel as if I was witness to a personal exploration and intimate giving of thanks and worship. That peeping tom thing again. Thanks Clay, for letting me watch.
I agree that this song is staged perfectly. Clay is experiencing a personal exploration here and as for the "watching" thing...move over again.

It was quite beautiful and entertaining and special. Very special.

For me, Clay is the Christmas spirit.
Honey, Amen and Ho! Ho! Ho!

Pamela, the only thing that could have made this review better is if I had been able to write one, too, after having been sitting next to you there! MWAH! Not Worthy  Huggles
Clayton Clayniac
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 05:56:33 AM »

I've been so emotional since Clay's Monday night concert at Meymandi Concert Hall that it took me a day or so to collect my thoughts!   I was going to post a review this morning, but, Pamela, after reading yours, it might not be necessary because you have said it all so eloquently!  It was such a special and treasured night, and I will hold the memories close to my heart forever.  

There was something so magical about the whole evening, starting with our entrance into the concert hall and noticing how wonderful everyone looked in their holiday finest!  The place was buzzing; their was excitement in the air!  The acoustics were fabulous!  Every note was crystal clear!  From Clay's first notes, my heart started pounding, and I knew this night was going to be so "different" from any other concert I had been to.  I was grateful that their were no signs, piercing screams or flashing cameras, thank the Lord!  The audience showed their love and appreciation in the most respectful way.  It was unreal!!  To experience Clay in this way - hearing every glorious note he sang and every word he said - is a true blessing.  

Just a couple of highlights:  When Clay came down into the audience, I thought the people in front of me (me included!) in the lower balcony were going to leap over the railing to follow his every move as he did his ever-so-slow walk down the aisle!  Granny and Papa Aiken were sitting on the aisle about 9 rows back at this point in the show, and Clay smiled down and touched them both as he passed by on his way to find his dancing partner.  They were moved to front row center during intermission, and I knew something special was about to happen.  And so it did.  We were witness to the most touching and tender moments as he sang IBHFC to his beloved Granny.  When he hugged her and Papa at the end of the song, their wasn't a dry eye in the house.  It was so moving!  I tear up even now just thinking about it.

At one point when Clay was talking about Christmas and being with family and friends and what a special time of year this is, he said that he considers the people of Raleigh to be his friends and family!  I was so touched by that!  You could just feel his joy at being home - even if only for a couple of days.

We all knew what was coming when he began to sing DSIAFCD, but his delivery of that incredible glory note when he crouched down to pull it out of his soul far surpassed anything I could have dreamed of.  I could feel that note vibrate right down to my very core.  Good News was spellbinding!  Clay off to the right side of the stage; the choir behind him, softly lit behind the sheer curtain; the honesty, reverence, adoration and joy with which he sings this glorious song!  It was mesmerizing - and I realized at this point that this concert, this whole Joyful Noise Tour, is Clay's gift to us.  And I thank you, Clay!  It's from your heart, and it means so much.  We will treasure it always!
clayam
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 08:04:01 AM »

PAMELA, I AM A NEW MEMBER OF THIS FORUM AND HAVE NOT POSTED BEFORE, BUT YOUR POST WAS SO BEAUTIFUL THAT I JUST HAD TO SAY THANK YOU, YOU HAD ME IN TEARS.
LJB
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 10:02:16 AM »

Does anyone know if there are downloads from both Sunday and Monday?
heathersweet
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 11:17:27 AM »

the sunday night performance was spectaculiar, he was on fire and he took me to another place in myself, exspecially when he came to my side of the stage and looked into my eyes and sang to me, he saw right through me, to my soul.i am a changed women!
Clayton Clayniac
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 11:19:06 AM »

No cameras or recorders were allowed - and this was enforced - so more than likely we won't be seeing any downloads.  Only treasured memories!

There's a photo and article from Sunday night here:
www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/story/1929524p-8281387c.html

and a couple more photos at the Clayboard, here:
http://p213.ezboard.com/ftheclayboardfrm42.showMessage?topicID=2228.topic
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 01:38:07 PM »

Pamela, as always, you have done a superb job of summing up everything that Clay did on Monday night in Raleigh.  

I don't know if I will say anything different or not, but I was fortunate enough to be at both shows in Raleigh and he was equally as spectacular both nights.  

I knew going to Meymandi on Sunday night I was going to be in for a treat.  This concert was going to be different, it was going to be reverent if you will.  Clay loves this time of year and I was expecting nothing but perfection and that is exactly what I got.  He was in wonderful voice on Sunday, dressed in his "Charlie Brown" sweater that he wore on The View and this absoultely awesome pair of shoes that were gray in the front and black in the back...very fashionable!  

From the first note of TMOC I was hooked.  I was leaned forward with my chin in my hands and I remained that way for much of the concert.  I was totally drawn in.   The ease at which he sings these songs and the passion that he exudes with each one is absolutely magical.  I have really come to enjoy The Christmas Waltz and I loved hearing him sing this live.  During WAYDNYE he killed the entire front row and most of the concert hall for that matter.  He danced with his mother and got down on his knees and sang to his grandmother.  It was both priceless and precious to see.  

The point of the show that blew me away was when Clay sang OHN.  I don't even have the words to describe it.   I have never in my life felt like that before.  I had goosebumps from my head to my toes.  The power, the reverence of that song took me to a different place.  I will forever remember how I felt in that moment.  I still get chills thinking about it.  Of course DSIAFCD was amazing and so heartfelt.  Just awesome.  Good News is another song that just blew me away.  I had heard it before, but with the staging and lighting it was fantastic.  A wonderful way to end the show.

To sum up Sunday night, it was amazing and a concert I will never forget.  This was just the start of what was going to be an unforgettable couple of days as it was and what a way to start it off.

Since Pamela did such a fabulous job of covering Monday night, I just have to add that as good as I thought his voice was on Sunday night, it was that much better on Monday.  He was singing from a place that was deep within him and that was conveyed to all of us, almost wrapped up like our own personal Christmas gift.

Watching him sing to Granny and Papa Aiken was the first time I have ever cried at one of Clay's concerts.  Everytime I think about it, it brings tears to my eyes.  It was such a special moment and I am so glad I was witness to it.  I am so glad he will get to spend this special holiday in the place he wishes to, at home with his family.  

Monday night's concert was fabulous and another I will not forget.  I am so lucky to have been able to attend it with four fantastic friends and have Clay give us the performance of a lifetime.

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx