gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 341
Total: 341

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUGUST 23  (Read 3147 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: August 23, 2004, 02:47:53 AM »

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE!!!

Achen’ to Hear Aiken: An Open Letter to the Radio Industry

By Bonnie Lini Markowski
August 22, 2004

“The boy can sing, you just won't find many fans at our particular radio station.”

An oxymoron if I ever heard one. Clay Aiken fans, get prepared. It seems that quote from a radio station program director signals yet another uphill battle for Clay Aiken as his latest single, “I Will Carry You.” It’s no secret that the immensely popular singer (and for that matter most AI alumni) doesn’t get fair airplay. Why? Not for the reason the radio industry pros would have us believe. Program Directors and DJ’s alike would like us to believe that they only play records in which they believe, and, well, they don’t believe in Aiken. The radio industry claims to have a prejudice against Clay Aiken for innumerable “professional” reasons: Because he isn’t a real talent since he didn’t pay his dues, he took a shortcut; he doesn’t fit the pop image, he’s pre-packaged; his voice is better suited for Broadway; he’s too middle of the road, vanilla, etc. . . . but I think there is something more covert and onerous going on here.

Read the rest in the
WRITER'S CORNER.

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:53:29 AM »

CAN HARSH WORDS KILL YOUR FIRE?

SHOULD S'PORE IDOL JUDGE APE RUDE WESTERN TV HOSTS? THEN FAME SEEKERS SHOULDN'T ACT LIKE MONEKYS. AGREE?

By Sylvia Toh Paik Choo

SOME dare to give their all in public - alien as it is to Asians who value face.

To show your stuff even when sharp-tongued critics find fault and the rest of us laugh.

Welcome to Singapore Idol.(snip)

If you want to take the market by storm, you have to make yourself marketable.

That means changing your image to fit a desired mould.

As a test, and be truthful now, you have a Clay Aiken CD in your collection but if Banana Boy cut a record, would you pay good money for it? That's the market at work.

What's encouraging though is that contestants are not afraid to try something different. And they refuse to be embarrassed.

NEWPAPER.ASIA

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:01:10 AM »

Idol Update, August 23: George Huff & John Stevens Get Record Deals, Season 4 Auditions Continue
by Donna Reynolds -- 08/23/2004
Even before the summer tour is over, several of last season’s finalists have already signed record deals. This is unprecedented but welcome news to Idol fans. Donna has the details.

As the American Idol tour moves into its final month, there is good news for fans of several of the Idols from season three. George Huff, who finished in fourth place, has signed with Word Records out of Nashville, TN. The label, which was founded in 1952, focuses on gospel music, but represents a diverse group of artists including Billy Ray Cyrus, Sandi Patty, and Amy Grant. Word had been one of the top labels for this genre and is in the process of rebuilding.

In a press release dated August 20, Word Records’ president, Barry Landis stated, "In the past, Word Records represented the greatest names in Gospel music and the signing of George Huff … sends the message that we want that valued position back again." Look for George’s first CD to be released early in 2005.

In another interesting development, John Stevens, the retro redhead who finished sixth, has popped up among the artists on Maverick Records’ roster. This, of course, is the label that Madonna co-founded in 1992, but recently sold to Warner Music Group. What’s interesting is that Warner also owns Word Records.

John’s artist page on the Maverick site, which was added on August 20, indicates that his first album will be released in November 2004. He’s in good company, that’s for sure. Along with Madonna, Maverick represents such heavy hitters as Alanis Morisette, Michelle Branch, and Tantric. They also represent Ben Jelen, a hot new artist who is opening for Clay Aiken at his September concerts.

John returns home to Buffalo with the Idol tour group on September 14.

These signings are a surprise in that, historically, all of the Idol finalists were committed to 19 Entertainment until the end of the tour. No word yet on other favorites, although LaToya London has retained the services of a publicist, and Jennifer Hudson is said to be considering several offers.

Meanwhile, Fantasia will be appearing this fall on NBC’s popular series American Dreams, portraying Aretha Franklin. Her first CD is due out in November and the word on the street is that she has been working with Missy Elliot and P. Diddy (Sean Combs). Diana is also reported to be releasing her first CD in November.

In other Idol-related news, auditions for American Idol 4 are in full swing, with three cities down and five to go. Next stop, Orlando (August 26) and the auditions will continue until October, finishing up in San Francisco, October 5. The turnout appears to be higher than ever, but some Idol hopefuls are complaining that too few good singers are getting through, being sacrificed for those who will make for “good television.” Many are reporting that, although the screeners complimented their singing, they are being told, “You’re not what we are looking for.” No one seems to be able to figure out exactly what they are looking for since people of all ages, races, and genders are being turned away. One 16-year-old from Washington, DC, who made it as far as Paula, Randy, and Simon reported that she was told she was too young. It seems that, although the minimum age was not raised, the judges may have learned from AI3 and are screening out those who are under 18. Wouldn’t it have been simpler (and more fair) to just raise the age to 18?

Hard to believe, but the new season starts in less than five months. As always, we will be on top of any breaking Idol news. Additionally, I will be attending the Idol show in Albany on September 2 and will have a complete report! And you know what? I can’t wait!!

FOXES ON IDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 03:04:09 AM »

Close encounter: A hug from the star

Three fans attending the Clay Aiken concert Monday at the MetroCentre in downtown Rockford can say they've had a close encounter with the pop star.

Like so many others, Pam Gagliano discovered Aiken when his voice stopped her dead in her channel surfing one night. She went online to learn more about Aiken and found out that, before "American Idol," he worked as a special-education teacher and since the show became part of a charitable foundation to help children with disabilities.

That's when Gagliano, whose 14-year-old son, Joshua, is autistic, decided she had to meet the softhearted crooner.

A slew of cybersurfing and e-mailing landed her and husband Terry backstage when nine top "Idol" stars appeared at the United Center in Chicago in July 2003. The next month, the Gaglianos took Joshua to meet Aiken after a performance in St. Louis.

"He stood up and said, 'Hey, buddy, can I have a hug?' "

Joshua responded with a casual embrace.

"Clay backed up and said, 'You can give me a bigger hug than that, can't you?' Josh's eyes lit up bigger than I've ever seen."

The family traveled to Clio, Mich., to hear Aiken sing Friday and Saturday nights -- and they have tickets to his show here Monday. Joshua wears headphones at concerts to dull the sound and avoid overstimulation.

Gagliano, a billing clerk at SwedishAmerican Health System, said she doesn't know if it's Aiken's "soothing voice" or perhaps his request for permission to hug Joshua that earned his admiration.

"A lot of times, the only way I can get Josh to calm down is to ask him if he wants to see (a tape of) Clay on TV," she said.

Other fans want to know how Gagliano stayed calm when Aiken hugged her.

"A lot of people ask, 'Were you nervous?' I say, 'I didn't meet Clay the pop star. I met Clay the teacher, which meant a lot more to me.' "

-- Mark Bonne, Life&Style

RRSTAR

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 03:39:52 AM »

Hi MB...I've not read anything yet, but wanted to say hi.  Have a great day...

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 03:43:50 AM »

Morning Buddy!!!!! Laughing:  Laughing:  Laughing:  Laughing:

Hi!!!  Have a great day!!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 04:51:15 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA AND WELCOME BACK.  LOVE THAT ARTICLE ABOUT RADIO PLAY.  IT HAS SAID IT ALL.

LORRAINE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 04:57:34 AM »

Utica boy sings at Clay Aiken concert

Mon, Aug 23, 2004

JESSICA RYEN
Observer-Dispatch  

When 12-year-old Jacob Perkins went to a Clay Aiken concert Aug. 8 in Albany, he only hoped for a chance to say hi to the famous pop singer.

Jacob never dreamed he'd be able to meet the American Idol runner-up and sing on Aiken's stage in front of an audience of approximately 20,000 people.

And he certainly didn't think he would be approached by a music industry professional who would tell him he could have a future singing career.

While Jacob of Utica waited outside the Pepsi Arena before the concert, one of Aiken's representatives announced children could audition for an on-stage performance.

About 15 children auditioned. It was no surprise to Jacob's mother, Kim, her son was chosen to perform "This Is the Night," following Aiken's fourth song, she said.

"He really wowed the audience," Kim said. "I think he's going to be moving forward. Look for his name."

After hearing him sing, a music industry professional approached Jacob and his mother.

"He told me, 'Call me, he's going to go far,'" Kim Perkins said. Jacob will soon start recording a demo CD at a local recording studio, his mother said.

He has already started to make a name for himself as a local entertainer.Besides playing Tiny Tim for five years in the Players Theatre production of "Scrooge," he has been recognized in several local commercials and sang in the Our Lady of Lourdes children's choir for the past two years. Jacob also has won first place in two singing contests this summer at local festivals, Kim Perkins said.

The young vocalist is taking guitar lessons from well-known guitarist Carmen Carmanica.

Jacob will perform at the New York State Fair Sunday, Aug. 29, with the Showstoppers, of which he is a member.

UTICAOD.COM
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 05:05:12 AM »

Quote from: Bonnie Lini Markowski
Clay Aiken fans, get prepared. It seems that quote from a radio station program director signals yet another uphill battle for Clay Aiken with his latest single, “I Will Carry You.”

==================
I KIND OF THOUGHT AS MUCH IF WE'RE TALKING TOP-40/POP AND NOT AC RADIO. TOP-40 RADIO WILL NEVER PLAY CLAY AIKEN SONGS. THE ONLY REASON, IN MY OPINION, THEY PLAYED "INVISIBLE" ISN'T BECAUSE IT WAS UP-BEAT...IT WAS BECAUSE THE SUBJECT MATTER HAD A "STALKER" FEEL ACCORDING TO GUYS, THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR TOP-40 RADIO, AND THEY THOUGHT IT WAS COOL.  
====================
Quote from: Bonnie
It’s ironic that you [radio] site the pre-packed idea as a reason for dissing Aiken because you are guilty of the same thing. He doesn’t fit with your image of “Pop,” so you discount him. His clean-cut image doesn’t fit the mold.

=================
And there lies the problem. In a Top-40 playlist with sex, sex, sex, and rap, rap, rap where does a 'Clay Aiken' fit in? He doesn't...and so, he and RCA have opted to go the AC route. I don't think IWCY was even sent to Pop radio, was it? i never saw it listed on the R&R Pop chart "going for adds" or anything
====================
Avril Lavigne’s “Don’ Tell Me,” for instance enjoyed 109 rotations in one week on Nashville’s WQZQ due to the [new payola] practice. Sometimes airing 18 times as little as 11 minutes apart. Include in that Sheryl Crow, Black Eyed Peas, Sugababes, Perfect Cirlce and even Aiken’s recent opening act, Cherie! So, let’s not play the high and mighty “real talent comes from real hard work” card anymore, ok.

======================
What's even more insane and hypocritic from the radio stand-point is that they play Cherie...where did she come from? She got her fame opening for Clay, in my opinion. And Kelly Clarkson...we shouldn't leave her out either. She's nearly up in the Top-25 on the R&R Top-40 pop chart with her single...and SHE came from Idol too! So, again radio people, if you're gonna use the Idol and the didn't pay his dues routine for Clay, at least look at the others who didn't pay their dues but are getting airplay!
====================
Your refusal to play Clay Aiken’s singles on your radio waves is going to come back to bite all of you in the proverbial ASS.

======================
As i've often said. Those clueless radio people don't know the goldmine they're passing up by not playing his songs...also see the below quote...
=======================
One more thing to consider. Despite what you may think about Clay fans being Estrogen ridden going to concerts in between hot flashes, the majority of his fans fall into the golden demographic.

=========================
Let’s visit the mindless mantra that his voice is better suited for Broadway. Give me a break. That’s Simon Cowell’s shtick. And those of you uttering this mantra are just parroting him. Maybe you are so used to carbon copies that you can’t even think for yourselves anymore. What ever happened to the time when being “out of the box” so to speak, was a great thing in music? Once, you couldn’t be successful if you had the same sound as someone else

===================
That's so true! i recall a time when a singer didn't have a chance if they came along and sounded like someone else. They weren't called "original". Now, it appears someone who's "original" can't get a shot because they don't "sound" like everyone else! and that, once again, is why "Top-40 radio" died in the mid '80s.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 05:17:58 AM »

RIGHT ON AC - I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER.  I SURE HOPE IT DOES COME BACK TO BITE THEM IN THE ASS.

LORRAINE
ClaysMelody
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

AC
I am new here, but I want you to know how much I always enjoy your insight.  
Melody
playingclay
Claymaniac

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 11:19:18 AM »

Actually, I'm fine with Clay being on AC radio.  There is no way that I could listen to the rap and crap of Top 40 All day.  On one of the interviews that I have read on this thread several weeks ago, Clay sees himself as AC as well.  I remember him refering himself as an adult contemporary artist like Norah Jones (and he mentioned a few other singers)

Love my clayshake---warm milk and a couple of scoops of vanilla icecream....especially at bedtime.
Keeper of the wind to blow the shirts up.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 11:34:17 AM »

From the NC State Fair website.  Also posted on the Raleigh concert thread in the Concert Connection forum.

How many tickets are available for the Clay Aiken concert?
About 6,000 seats will be available for the Clay Aiken concert. We
realize that there is a much larger demand for tickets than we will
be able to accomodate, so please be aware that you may not be able to
get tickets. There is a limit of 4 tickets per person to assure that
no one person gets a block of tickets.

Is there any other way to get tickets to the Clay Aiken Concert?
No, the N.C. State Fair will not offer tickets in any other way, nor
will the N.C. State Fair have any tickets available to give away.
WRAL-TV and WRAL-FM will be the official stations promoting the Clay
Aiken concert and may offer chances to win tickets on their stations.

Do you have any tips on getting Clay Aiken tickets?
- Be ready at noon.
- Try from the fastest connection possible. People with cable modems
or T1 lines are going to have better luck than people with dial-up
connections.
- Buy only Clay Aiken tickets. After you complete your order for Clay
Aiken concert tickets, start a new transaction to buy admission
tickets and any other concert tickets you plan to buy.
- Have the following information ready: Name, mailing address, phone,
credit card number, credit card type, experation date.
- Be aware that tickets are going to sell out quickly, and you may
not get tickets.
- Good Luck!

NC STATE FAIR

- Good Luck!

:roll:  Laughing:  Cry!:  shock:  :o
cjrmax
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »

How many times can they say "Please be aware you may not get tickets"???

This is going to be NERVE RACKING!  Add that to the fact you don't even get to find out where you are sitting until after you receive your tickets.....

I feel an ulcer coming on!  :P
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 05:07:49 PM »

Thanks for the news Deanna and Pamela!  

AC, I love to read what you have to say about the charts...always so insightful and interesting.

That article about the State Fair is making me worry already!  I just want tickets!!! UGH!   :roll:  :?

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
Ilovetowrite
UltimateFan

hi
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 05:15:14 PM »

George Huff … sends the message that we want that valued position back again." Look for George’s first CD to be released early in 2005.
 HMMMMMM This is a bit late in the game people might forget who his is just like they did with Justin Guarni.

In another interesting development, John Stevens, the retro redhead who finished sixth, has popped up among the artists on Maverick Records’ roster. This, of course, is the label that Madonna co-founded in 1992, but recently sold to Warner Music Group. What’s interesting is that Warner also owns Word Records.
WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOR JOhN my fave. COUNT ME IN

Keeper of Clays straight hair and Flip flops.

CLAY'S BUS BABE.
Clays Traveling Gypsy.
CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 06:33:40 PM »

This is what I think of those negative articles:

Twisted:  Twisted:  Twisted:  Twisted:  Twisted:  Twisted:  Twisted:

Wake up and smell the roses!!!!!!!!!!!!    Clay has more class in his little finger than any of those reporters put together.

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx