gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK - OCTOBER 28  (Read 9958 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: October 28, 2003, 07:37:44 AM »

From a TV Guide Online article about Ryan Seacrest:

Rarely has there been a better example of such fantasy fulfillment than watching nerdy runner-up Clay Aiken transform into a pop star before our eyes. And smart wannabes are taking notes. "What American Idol allows a young artist to do is build a fan base," Seacrest says. "Clay, amazingly, was kicked off our show and was brought back as a Wild Card, reinvented his image and his style, and won over men and women in the teen and 18-49 demographics. It proved there was an appetite for a young, mainstream, sort of wholesome artist that is like a young, new Barry Manilow. The kid is extremely savvy and talented, and he knows how to embrace this ride that has become fame for him."

TV GUIDE ONLINE

I love how Ryan described Clay's demographic - "men and women in the teen and 18-49 demographics."  Thank you Ryan!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 07:41:01 AM »

From the Radio and Records website.  They are a well respected source of information in the recording industry.

Clay Aiken held the top spot in album sales this week with Measure of a Man. He sold double the number of units than Kelly Clarkson sold of her debut CD during her first week out . Aiken also got an amazing critical writeup in Rolling Stone. Way to go, Clay.

RandR ONLINE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 07:44:35 AM »

Here is where you can track the second week sales of MoaM.  So far, Clay is still doing well!

HITS DAILY DOUBLE SALES
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 07:56:06 AM »

From Jim Farber at the NY Daily News (who BTW, gave MoaM a horrible review.)

Meanwhile, Elvis Presley, Simon & Garfunkel, Seal, Michael McDonald and a Rat Pack collection also thrive in the Top 40, as do younger artists like Clay Aiken, Dido and Norah Jones, who each boast a huge ratio of graying followers.

NY DAILY NEWS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 10:39:02 AM »

As you know, Clay is auctioning the jerseys he wore during this summer's concert tour to benefit his Bubel-Aiken Foundation.  The jerseys have been raising from $5000-$7000 each which is fabulous!

However, the jersey Clay wore in Tampa is very special.  I saw a video of the Invisible performance in Tampa that was smokin!  So, it's very appropriate that the Tampa Bay Lightning jersey has so far been bid up to $10000!

Check it out!  Amazing!

PS- I know, I know a hockey jersey is actually called a 'sweater.'  Wink:
houstonclayfan
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 10:58:53 AM »

Sad to say, but I think I would actually bid if I had that kind of money. Unfortunately, being a teacher, I just have to drool over the picture.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 11:04:33 AM »

Rumors, gossip, innuendo.  Heard around the Net...

On Clay's official RCA website, there is a message that it will be updated soon.  Start looking for that update the first week in November.  

Also, don't forget about Clay's Fan Club website, be sure and sign up there for updates and announcements when the site goes on line!

AOL may be showing the video for Invisible over the weekend after it premieres on TRL Thursday and the RCA Clay website may be hosting it starting next Monday.  (Yay! We won't have to actually watch MTV!)  Be sure and check the Poll Place thread for information about how to vote for Invisible on TRL!  Coming soon.

Some of you may have noticed on the AOL: Live Sessions download that they had little bits of Clay singing an acoustic version of Measure of a Man.  AOL may be featuring this performance sometime within the next month!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 11:31:31 AM »

Clay's AOL:  Live Sessions are now being featured at Netscape!

So all us non AOLers can now enjoy, and I quote,

"the North Carolina cutie" perform "Invisible," the first single from his chart-topping 'Measure of a Man' album, live on Sessions@AOL."
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 12:09:50 PM »

Take a look at “American Idol,” the wildly popular Fox talent show. Its first winner, Kelly Clarkson, strutted her stuff at Monday’s Radio Music Awards. After turning herself into a Christina Aguilera clone, the radio industry embraced her, playing her first single “Miss Independent” incessantly on Top 40 stations this summer. From TV star to pop-diva, Clarkson has taken her place among the ranks of pop’s biggest stars, at least for now.

But the heir to her throne, runner-up but reigning king, Clay Aiken, didn’t have as much luck with radio. Deejays across the country mocked him, didn’t take him seriously, and often refused to play his music. Well the joke just might be on them. Despite little radio play, Aiken’s debut album went double platinum in its first week of release, out-selling Clarkson’s album by a landslide. Aiken’s success serves as a shining example of the power television now has over the music industry, and the arguably insignificant power radio has these days.

MSNBC

The bolding is mine.  Just because it made me smile.   :)

This is an interesting article.  There is also a poll on the left side of the screen when you scroll down a bit.  Be sure to cast your vote.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 02:15:57 PM »

Gratuitous Clay reference of the day!

There are a few things that have occurred to me that make me somewhat afraid. I see where the latest heart throb for the teenie boppers is Clay Aiken. Clay was the second place winner in the the American Idol contest. In my humble opinion, ole Clay looks like the love child of Tina Turner and Howdy Doody. Don’t get me wrong. The boy can sing. Man, can he ever sing. I would love to be able to sing like that young man, but alas, ’tis never to be. I could understand why the little girls would scream their lungs out and cry and hold up signs saying, “I LOVE YOU CLAY!” if he were a bit more masculine and at least a tad bit better looking. Yeah, like I’m better lookin’ than ole Clay ... that ain’t gonna happen either.

THE FENCE POST

Laughing:
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 02:17:26 PM »

Here are the only two letters printed in TIME magazine concerning the article about Clay, RCA and the music industry a couple of weeks ago.  At least they were both positive!

The Pop Star Who Refreshes

THANK YOU FOR THE EVEN-HANDED
article about Clay Aiken [Music, Oct.
13], a young singer who doesn’t fit the
mold of someone the record industry be-
lieves should be popular. Aiken is re-
freshing to listen to. He is articulate and
humble, two attributes lacking in most
young, prefabricated pop stars. I like his
style, and I’m looking forward to seeing
him around for a long time.
CHERYL RILEY
Rochester, N.Y

A LOT OF PEOPLE JUST DON’T GET AIKEN,
but there are millions who do, and they
could be the ones to change the music
industry. Just imagine: someone with an
amazing voice singing lyrics you can
actually understand. What a concept!
SUSAN GOULD
Metairie, La.

TIME LETTERS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 02:20:39 PM »

From Variety:  

Clive's chart coup
RCA's Stewart and Aiken battle for No. 1

Rod Stewart's second album of standards is running neck and neck with Clay Aiken's debut disc "Measure of a Man," with both expected to sell more than 200,000 copies and land in the top two slots in the national album sales chart.

"These records send a powerful message about careers," Davis, chairman of the RCA Records Group and founder of J Records, told Daily Variety. "It speaks well about Rod that when he is paired with the right music, he can have an impact. There's a huge appetite for his records. And it's a major moment for Clay, who could be No. 1 for a second week."

While Aiken had the benefit of dueling with -- and eventually losing to -- Ruben Studdard for the "American Idol 2" crown, the campaigns for Stewart's albums have been rather low-key. For the first album he did about a half-dozen TV interviews and appeared at industry-only events with Davis in New York and L.A.

VARIETY (subscription required)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 02:28:09 PM »

Final numbers just in!  Clay finishes on top again for the second week!

Retailers report sales of 207,671 for Measure of a Man this past week!

Although this reflects a 66% drop, Clay still outsold second place finisher Rod Stewart.  

By the end of next week Clay should have sold 1,000,000 copies of his debut CD...a great accomplishement for a debut artist!

CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!

HITS DAILY DOUBLE
mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 03:08:12 PM »

I agree...if I had the money, i'd probably spend it. :oops: hehe But, i'm just a student so, nada here!
Lots of Love!

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument!
houstonclayfan
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 07:11:44 PM »

Clay's latest shirt sold for almost 15,000....GO CLAY ! He was so cute on Wayne Brady. I love his little smirk..just wish he stayed longer
thanku_clay
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 10:20:04 PM »

"Woo Hoo" Clay!!!!!!!  #1 for Second Week!!!!!!

"CONGRATULATIONS ,CLAY"!!!!

Thanks for the info,Pamela
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx