gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 423
Total: 423

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK AUGUST 18  (Read 8141 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: August 18, 2004, 02:42:44 AM »

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE!!

'Idol' favorite Aiken mixes old, new with mixed results

By BETSY PICKLE, pickle@knews.com
August 18, 2004

Clay Aiken is a brave man.

Not because he faced hundreds of screaming fans Tuesday night at Thompson-Boling Arena - anyone who has survived a season on "American Idol" can do that. No, Aiken is brave because he started his show with U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name." That takes guts, setting yourself up for comparisons with one of rock's most passionate singers.

Then again, it's likely most in the crowd of about 3,000 would have said, "Bono who?" There may be some overlap between Claymates and U2 admirers, but not much.

To his credit, Aiken gave the song a tougher veneer than his usual adult-contemporary sheen. And the Knoxville crowd, which seemed to be mostly females from age 4 to about 74, responded with wild applause after being properly primed by French pop newcomer Cherie, a lithe brunette who sounds like a cross between Celine Dion and Kelly Clarkson.

Aiken performed several other covers as well as most of his album, "Measure of a Man," showing off his talents and those of his backing singers and musicians in a 22-song set. The "AI" Season 2 runner-up has his stage show down to a science, complete with audience participation and far-from-slick patter that makes this best-selling musical artist still seem like just a homeboy from Raleigh, N.C.

The covers were a mixed bag. While Aiken's voice is a good fit with Mr. Mister's "Kyrie," Toto's "Rosanna" and Orleans' "Still the One," there's no compelling reason for a singer with his abilities to keep alive hackneyed '80s and '70s radio hits.

As the "AI" judges are fond of saying, it's all about song selection. Aiken and his backup singers fared better on five songs by James Taylor, who coincidentally spent part of his childhood in North Carolina. Aiken's pure tones were just right on "Sweet Baby James." He generously shared lead duties on "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)," "Fire and Rain," "Your Smiling Face" and "You've Got a Friend."

Aiken seemed totally relaxed on songs such as "I Will Carry You," "Run to Me," "Perfect Day" and "I Survived You." But though he charmed the crowd with his patter, he showed he has some stage presence to learn. His head-tilted-back, eyes-closed style may have seemed like the approach of a singer immersed in a song, but it put a wall between him and the audience, even though fans swallowed the conceit whole.

One lesson he's mastered is how to sell a song. He's probably sick to death of "Solitaire," but he used a full deck of emotion as he capped off the night with it.

KNOX NEWS

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 02:44:48 AM »

CLAY GETS A COMIC MENTION AGAIN:

LUANN

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 02:46:51 AM »

PITT AND ANISTON TOP INSTYLE'S HOT LIST AGAIN

Hollywood couple JENNIFER ANISTON and BRAD PITT have topped American magazine INSTYLE's What's Sexy Now poll for the fourth year running.

The pair have been named Sexiest Couple again on InStyle's seventh annual Who's Sexy list.

Aniston also beat all women on the list, while BEN AFFLECK is the choice on the male poll. He edged out Pitt and ORLANDO BLOOM.

Meanwhile, AMERICAN IDOL runner-up CLAY AIKEN was the unlikely number one in the Sexiest Singer category - beating out JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, USHER, and ENRIQUE IGLESIAS by a landslide.

And BEYONCE picked up her first What's Sexy Now win in the Sexiest Songbird category, beating ALICIA KEYS and BRITNEY SPEARS.

Other InStyle winners include JOHNNY DEPP (Sexiest Actor Over 40), JENNIFER LOPEZ (Sexiest Singer/Designer) and SALMA HAYEK (Sexiest Female Import).

CONTACT MUSIC

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 02:48:45 AM »

Clay Plots

"Billboard.com" is reporting that Clay Aiken is releasing two items this fall; one is a traditional-sounding Christmas album, and the other is an "autobiographical inspirational book." The Christmas album will feature classic, orchestral tunes, something Aiken says "won't go out of style." The book is called "Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life." Instead of a typical autobiography, Aiken says his book provides inspirational thoughts about reaching goals and overcoming obstacles in life. Aiken is also hoping to head back in the studio for a new studio album, which he hopes to release next year.

TIMESLEADER

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 02:50:51 AM »

Good morning, M.B.--I wanted to wave to ya before you scooted...now to read your news you've posted.....

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 02:51:16 AM »

STORY AND VIDEO OF THE GUY "WHO SANG TO CLAY"  AT DES MOINES:

CLAYREPORT

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 02:54:18 AM »

he showed he has some stage presence to learn. His head-tilted-back, eyes-closed style may have seemed like the approach of a singer immersed in a song, but it put a wall between him and the audience, even though fans swallowed the conceit whole.
Ouch!    Personally, I love when he does this...conceit????

One lesson he's mastered is how to sell a song. He's probably sick to death of "Solitaire," but he used a full deck of emotion as he capped off the night with it.
 That's more like it!

Luann...too funny!

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 02:54:24 AM »

August 17, 2004 01:18 PM - Clay Aiken's summer/fall headlining tour has again been expanded, with a handful of new dates added from New Mexico to Minnesota.

Aiken, who has been on the road for much of the year, is focusing on the U.S. fair circuit, but is also scheduled to headline shows in large auditoriums.

Last October, Aiken offered up his debut album, "Measure of a Man." The set--which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 album chart--features 2003's top-selling single, "This Is the Night," as well as the hit "The Way."

The "American Idol" series, which completed its third season in May, has spawned a number of tours over the course of its run. At the same time that Aiken is on the road this summer, latest winner Fantasia Barrino and the other finalists from the competition's third season are mounting their own outing.

Earlier this year, Aiken embarked on a co-headlining run with first-season winner Kelly Clarkson.

LIVE DAILY

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 02:56:18 AM »

MAVERICK

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 02:59:21 AM »

Idol Chartwatch, August 17: Up, Down, and All Around
by Gil Sery -- 08/17/2004
The charts were a mixed bag this week. Many albums dropped, while some climbed. Some saw their singles climb or at least remain the same – which was the case for Clay Aiken (right)? Read on to see who’s where.

The charts were a mixed bag this week. Many albums dropped, while some climbed. Some saw their singles climb or at least remain the same. Let’s see who’s up who’s down, and whos’ stationary.

Clay Aiken

Just call him Comeback Clay. American Idol 2 runner-up Clay Aiken continued his rise back up the Hot 100 Singles Sales chart. A couple of weeks ago, he was at #8, last week he was at #7 and this week, he jumped to #4. If this momentum keeps going, “I Believe” Fantasia better watch her back!

FOR THE REST OF THE  IDOL CHART NEWS, GO HERE:
FOXES ON IDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 03:01:46 AM »

The Lycos 50(TM) Top 10 Search Terms for the Week Ending August 14, 2004:

1)  Michelle Vieth        
     2)  Paris Hilton          
     3)  Clay Aiken            
     4)  KaZaA                
     5)  Poker    

BIZ YAHOO

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 03:04:04 AM »

InStyle' Reveals Who's Sexy Now!

August 17, 2004

The celebrity-lovin' public has spoken and they've put girl-next-door hottie JENNIFER ANISTON and smooth croonerCLAY AIKEN at the top of their lists! Although this year's sultry and stunning September issue of InStyle won't be on newsstands until this Friday, tonight on ET, we have a sneak peek inside its 7th annual "What's Sexy Now" poll, which reveals some surprises and a few old favorites!

"For the Sexiest Couple for four years running, it's Jennifer Aniston and BRAD PITT," InStyle Executive Editor MARTHA McCULLY tells ET. "They are just hotter than hot right now. They're not only gorgeous, they're likeable and you can actually see their chemistry in photographs."

In addition to landing at the top of the couples category, Aniston has also won for Sexiest Leading Lady, beating out the likes of "Alias" star JENNIFER GARNER and Oscar® winner ANGELINA JOLIE -- and that after taking home the Sexiest Sitcom Actress honor in 2003 and 2002.

After the more than 40,000 votes were counted, BEN AFFLECK came in No.1 and was declared the Sexiest Leading Man. "He edged out other people like Brad Pitt and ORLANDO BLOOM," McCully says. "He was the strong leader."

In a surprising twist to some, but clearly not to the abundant number of InStyle readers, "American Idol" runner-up Aiken not only beat out rockers JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, USHER, and ENRIQUE IGLESIAS in the Sexiest Singer category, but he did so by a landslide!

Taking home her very first "What's Sexy Now" win is mover and shaker BEYONCÉ, who defeated her singing sensation competition ALICIA KEYS, GWEN STEFANI and BRITNEY SPEARS in the Sexiest Songbird category. "Beyoncé has really come into her own this year," McCully says. "She's doing everything and she's totally on fire."

Other A-listers to make the sexy list are the boyishly handsome JOHNNY DEPP for Sexiest Actor Over 40, JENNIFER LOPEZ for Sexiest Singer/Designer, and SALMA HAYEK for Sexiest Female Import.

ET TV

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 03:40:44 AM »

Hi MB!!!!

Lot's of stuff this morning, so I sailed right by you!!  Sorry!!! :oops:  :oops:

Have a great day!!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 03:59:38 AM »

so I sailed right by you!! Sorry!!!
 No problem...I know you're a busy girl!

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday...I just love the InStyle news...even though I know it to be true, it just looks and feels great to see it in print, and hear it on ET...GO CLAY, YOU SEXY THING YOU!!!! :D  :D  shock:  shock:  shock:  shock:  shock:

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 04:03:25 AM »

The best news is that the rest of the world now knows what we knew all along!!!!  
This was mentioned in last night's cellcert, and it is soooo true!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 04:29:28 AM »

THANK YOU DEANNA.  OUR GUY IS ON THE RISE AND THE WORLD IS STARTING TO REALIZE IT ALSO.  

LORRAINE
ChrisieD
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S CLAYNADIAN GIRL !!!

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 06:18:04 AM »

Thanks for my CLay morning coffee. I can't wait to get In Style Mag to show my doubting so-called friends . They all seem to think that I need therapy  Laughing:  at least they will know that I'm not the only one  Wink:

Have a great Clay day everyone !!

Baby Dust I Close My Eyes and I Breath You In Baby Dust

UNCONDITIONAL
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 06:48:27 AM »

Deanna,Thank you so mich for the news!

Angela

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 06:48:27 AM »

WHAT A GREAT WAY TO START THE DAY.  THE WORLD KNOWS WHAT WE ALL KNEW----CLAY IS THE SEXIEST.  HOPE THE WORLD IS FINALLY GONNA GET IT.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 07:45:16 AM »

Just call him Comeback Clay.

WAA HOO!

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!