gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 122
Total: 122

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Theresa Kemble: The Real Reason I Love Clay Aiken  (Read 6288 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: July 23, 2004, 07:26:29 PM »

THE REAL REASON I LOVE CLAY AIKEN
By Theresa Kemble

The real reason I love Clay Aiken isn’t about his hair, his clothes, or his magnificent voice. The real reason I love Clay Aiken is because of my sister Cathy. Cathy is a special person. Cathy has Cerebral Palsy and is mentally retarded. She has a very heavy cross to carry in her life, and she does this with such grace from God.

Cathy lives at a facility that specializes in her needs. She comes home for weekend and holiday visits. Cathy is my greatest teacher. She taught me what unconditional love is all about! Cathy is my heart. Music is the joy in my sister’s life.

I guess you are wondering where does Clay Aiken come into the picture?
Well, I will tell you….

I was a fan of “American Idol’s” first series, and I couldn’t wait for the second season to start. Imagine my surprise when a “geeky crooner” from North Carolina captured my heart and my soul. And when I found out that Clay Aiken was a special education student, and that he wanted to start a foundation for the mentally handicapped, I was really smitten with him. His musical voice truly touched me beyond words and gave me feelings I never had before.

Finally, I thought to myself, here’s a celebrity willing to share his feelings honestly about the mentally disabled. To me, these special children and adults were truly “voiceless” in America for way too long. And how I hated the way “society” would place labels on these wonderful, gentle, loving people. And here’s Clay Aiken ready to tear down the walls of prejudice and neglect for the “voiceless” of our society. He is without a doubt, “The Voice of the Voiceless.”

I decided I wanted to share my newfound joy in Clay’s music with my sister Cathy. During the AI2 finals I taped it for her. The first time Cathy saw Clay Aiken, she smiled and giggled. She was just as smitten as I was. From that time on, Cathy loved Clay’s music. I simply don’t know how Clay does this but his musical voice has a calming effect on my sister.

My sister and myself always shared a strong bond with each other. And with the love we have for Clay Aiken, our sisterhood is even sweeter. I taped every TV performance of Clay Aiken for her. Cathy, for the most part, is non-verbal. She does speak in broken sentences. Most of the time, she will say, “ I go day-day. I go shoppy (shopping), I go nite nite (bedtime). She can’t pronounce Clay’s name. She calls him “Tommy.” Cathy loves all pictures of Clay Aiken and his pup “Raleigh” the best.

Recently, something very special happened to my sister. And it involved Clay Aiken too! As I said before I tape all performances of Clay for Cathy. On this occasion I taped the July 4th performance. She returned home for her weekend visit. I put the tape on and she was so excited! I must have played that tape fifty times at least. Each time was pure joy for her.

Then, as I placed the tape in the VCR one more time for her, a miracle happened. Cathy giggled and she turned her sweet face to me and said “Terry, I like that.” (Terry is my nickname.)  Grateful tears welled in my own eyes. First, I was so thankful to God to be there to witness this precious miracle. For those who are caregivers, they understand how wonderful it is to see an achievement for their client, patient, brother, sister or child. They witness on a daily basis the struggles and amazing breakthroughs of these special children and adults. My sister said a full sentence and Clay Aiken was the reason for it.

He was the catalyst for God’s wonderful miracle. Perhaps Clay doesn’t fully understand yet the impact he is making on this world. But for me, his beautiful soul is such a precious gift. His compassion for those who are less fortunate is truly inspiring for all to see. I will treasure that special moment when Cathy said a full sentence for the rest of my life.

It is my sincere hope, wish, and dream that one day my sister Cathy will meet her idol Clay Aiken.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theresa lives in Philadelphia with husband Bob.  She is a Certified Podiatric Medical Assistant by day, and a Claymaniac by night. Her hobbies include movies, reading and of course her true obsession is Clay Aiken.

Copyright Theresa Kemble 2004.  Printed with the permission of the writer.
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 07:42:37 PM »

Is this story being shared with us by a Clay Maniac?

I believe I have read many times of Cathy being excited to hear and see pictures of Clay. It is wonderful. I thank the writer of this story and feel her joy!

He is special. We may not know quite why, but he is.

Lora-Ohio
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

THE QUEEN OF SNARK Raleigh

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 07:49:45 PM »

Cathy giggled and she turned her sweet face to me and said “Terry, I like that.”

My sister said a full sentence and Clay Aiken was the reason for it.

I will treasure that special moment when Cathy said a full sentence for the rest of my life.

What a beautiful story. You've given me goosebumps. God bless Cathy, and her wonderful sister, too.  Wink:

"To look at me, you may be wrong. I've been through this--it made me strong."
"'Lifted me up when I couldn't reach; you gave me faith 'cuz you believed."
"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
aikenismyidol
Enthusiastic

LML! <3

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:01:06 PM »

Theresa,
 I love that sotry! I had tears in my eyes while I was reading this for the 3rd time...Clay is really such an insperation and I am glad he has brought so much Joy to the lives of both you and Cathy. Thank you for sharing this story with all of us. God bless you both!

Monica  Wink:

RisenAshes7@gmail.com
DONT FORGET ME

Miss you Debi, JJ, and Julie
ILClaymate
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 08:12:44 PM »

Theresa,
That was very well written and I can tell it was straight from your heart!  How wonderful...I got both tears and goosebumps reading it even though you have told us the story before!  It is truly amazing the "difference" Clay is continuing to make even though he isn't teaching.  What a truly remarkable man.  I hope one day Cathy will be able to meet him.  I'm sure Clay would love to meet her!

Thanks for sharing that with everyone!

~Angela~
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 11:27:09 PM »

Theresa,

What a beautiful, heartfelt story of your sister and Clay's effect on her.  You are to be commended for the love and care you feel for Cathy and sharing Clay with her.

I've often said that special people like your sister Cathy have a gift for seeing into the heart and soul of people.  That is why Cathy loves you so much and loves Clay.

Thanks for sharing with us.  I had tears  in my eyes as I read.

Prissy
(Priscilla)

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
wordsmith1223
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 01:25:21 AM »

Theresa,
That was beautiful. Very wonderful to be witness to your sister's triumph and your joy.
Thank you for sharing your story. It is definitely going to be part of the OCD Sisterhood legacy.
I hope you and Cathy get to meet Clay someday.

Here's to Clay making a difference in so many people's lives!
Cheers,
Lynn
sarahdebarah1109
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 03:55:42 PM »

Theresa,
Thanks for sharing that story.  Its amazing the things that Clay does for people sometimes without even knowing.  I hope that someday soon the two of you will be able to meet him.
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 08:13:56 PM »

Theresa,
What a beautiful story. I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks as I write this. If Clay only knew all the wonderful things he does for people. Let us know if Cathy manages to say something else about him. How old is she?
Janet
Claymaniac2000

Janet Claymaniac2000
Hey Butterfly....Open up your weary eyes and realize.....It's a trip we're taking

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
JULIE you are in my heart forever
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 07:11:12 PM »

THRESA,
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL STORY--YOU ARE ALSO A WONDERFUL PERSON, THRESA,  WHO HAS AN AMAZING SISTER. YOUR HEARTFELT STORY GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS THEN TEARS.  THANK YOU FOR SHARING.  I AM SO GLAD CLAY HAS TOUCHED BOTH YOU .  

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BOND YOU 2 HAVE.

HUGS TO YOU & KATHY,

ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
Ilovetowrite
UltimateFan

hi
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 07:58:39 PM »

Simply BEAUTIFUL

Keeper of Clays straight hair and Flip flops.

CLAY'S BUS BABE.
Clays Traveling Gypsy.
RicoSuave
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 07:17:32 AM »

That's claytastic.
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 07:22:20 AM »

Simply Clayabulous!!
clays_spikedhair
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 01:07:44 PM »

i know how it feels to see a person whit that kind of disabillity to make a breakthough. i help my mom with a church program and we get a lot of kids with disabillitys that come in. there not as bad as aome people are. but they can't read, write, or talk very well. and our job is to help them memorize parts of the bible. andone guy i remember was sammy. he was the sweetest guy around and one night he came in a rambled off a verse we had been helping him with. so i know the feeling and it's great. i hope one day you and your sister can meet clay. i had tears running down my face as i read this. i just want to thank you for all that your doing and thank you for ring back the memory of sammy. good luck i wish you the best!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx