gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:39:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 263
Total: 263

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clay's sales strategy for single sales  (Read 4512 times)
stellium
« on: June 23, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »

On Amazon today, with Fantasia up to #2,  Clay's Solitiare ranking has risen to #13 after being way down to 108 in the past few weeks.    The call for keeping Clay's single as best seller of the year is catching hold as fans are worried Fantasia's single this debut week may be so high that she would quickly pass Clay in single sales within a few weeks.

Fantasia's debut total will end on Saturday night.   Her sales at this time are projected to be around 150,000 by Hits Daily Double sales site.  Clay's Solitaire has sold 276,000 as of this time.   It looks like close attention will monitor the sales of both singles for a few weeks to see if Clay stays in front.
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 05:03:50 PM »

i'm the last person to want to see someone from Idol out-sell Clay. but from my perspective, i'll be comparing Fantasia's debut to Clay's debut. If she can muster a million sales of a single like Clay did, that's quite an accomplishment for her. i won't be comparing Solitaire's sales to I Believe...but it was great hearing about Clay's single rise so fast on Amazon...it proves that his internet fan base is as strong as ever.

not all fans are worried, though. when you compare a debut single {Fantasia} with all the hype behind it compared to the minimal support for Solitaire/The Way in terms of hype and publicity, i see the writing on the wall already and so i'm prepared to see Fantasia sell more singles since it's her debut.

If anything, Solitaire should move up from #5 this week on the Sales chart in Billboard...since internet sales also play a role in the Sales charts.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
mrsaiken3504
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 05:10:02 PM »

yeah.. there is practically no way she is going to sell more copies than Clays BOTW and TITN. I hope she doesn't outsell Solitare... but we will see what happens. I am actually quite surprised it is doing so well, because it seems to me that American Idol 3 was not as popular as the last two seasons. But, I don't know the exact figures.
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 05:19:58 PM »

I would be surprised also if her single outsells Solitaire since where were all her fans when she was put in the bottom 3 a couple of times.  But like ACountryFan says he wouldn't be surprised if her single outsells Clay as far as Solitaire goes.  Also lets see how long her fans keep her going.  Clay has a fan base that only one dreams for.  Thank you ACountryFan for keeping track of that.  I will be disappointed but I am looking at the long term.

Lorraine
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 05:34:20 PM »

Quote from: lorraine
Also, let's see how long her fans keep her going

===============
this is the glue that holds any career together. as far as top-40 goes, is she marketable? she seems more R&B like Ruben. But like Clay, she seems to have people that don't like her either...i wonder if they'll over-look her polarizing popularity but continue to use that as one of the excuses they don't play Clay's songs. time will tell if she has staying power.

but Clay isn't competing with her because they have different styles and audiences so i don't care if her single or album sells a hundred thousand or a trillion copies.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 08:02:22 PM »

I know that current efforts are for Solitaire and some fans are concerned about I Will Carry You for the next radio play single, but there IS ONE song we are may be forgetting about that COULD be released as a single YET this year!!!  His DUET with Kimberly Locke!! I AM SOOO HOPING!! It is a great song and will only help either one in both popularity for radio play and sales!!! With Kimberly's Cd doing well AND getting radio play for 8th World Wonder, it COULD be one of HER next releases??? I have read  about a different song possibly being her next release..BUT HOW COOL would that be??? I really want the song for my CD player without buying her entire CD and am not able to download to a cd for my personal use....I just think it would be a smart move on BOTH their parts!!  I could be way off base, but I HOPE it is a possiblity!!!

Does anyone else like the song well enough to buy a single and send it soaring up the charts too??

Lora-Ohio
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 04:01:35 AM »

Wink: in 1993 George Jones recorded a duet with Sammy Kershaw called "Never Bit a Bullet Like This". It was on George's 1993 album on the MCA label. Then, in 1994, Sammy's label {Mercury} put the duet on his album too! so what i'm hoping for is RCA puts the duet on Clay's album next year and then issues it as a single.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
houstonclayfan
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 04:09:12 AM »

MrsAiken:
I am actually quite surprised it is doing so well, because it seems to me that American Idol 3 was not as popular as the last two seasons. But, I don't know the exact figures.

Fantasias is estimated to sell $150,000 singles.  TITN - 400,000 copies. AI2 was more popular  Wink:

HavingAClayAffair:  Kims CD is really great so you should consider buying the whole album.  If you dont want to pay full price, you could look for a cheaper copy on amazon or ebay.
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 04:50:30 AM »

that's 250,000+ singles less than what Clay sold his debut week. this is my theory: Fantasia will have the #1 selling single of 2004 because[/i] Clay and RCA are moving on and releasing IWCY as a radio-only single.

Should RCA change their minds and offer a commercial single with a bonus b-side in the weeks after MOAM has hopefully picked back up in sales due to IWCY airplay, Clay could have the chance of out-selling Fantasia with his IWCY single should they choose to go that route...but for now, with the impact on Fantasia, it would take another commercial single from Clay to match or beat whatever Fantasia ultimately sells if you want him to have the #1 selling single for 2004.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
mrsaiken3504
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:45:32 AM »

Yeah... I don't want to by Kim's whole cd lol, I would much rather buy the single.
LiftClayUp
Claymaniac

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 12:51:16 PM »

I just purchased another Solitaire.  I plan on giving it to a friend.

Clay is our gift from GOD!!!!!
cjrmax
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 01:00:49 PM »

Fantasias is estimated to sell $150,000 singles. TITN - 400,000 copies. AI2 was more popular

Actually, Colleen, I think it is Clay who is more popular!!  Wink:  In all seriousness, AI3's ratings were higher overall for the season than AI2 so I guess technically AI3 was more popular.  The big difference I see is no one person from AI3 came out with the kind of fan bases Clay OR Ruben did.  That is one reason I don't think Fantasia's single will sell more than TITN/BOTW OR Ruben's first single.  I think it will do great - and will likely beat "TheWay/Solitaire" when all is said and done, but it won't come close to selling what Clay or Ruben did with their debut singles.
graykitty12
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 01:50:41 PM »

Kim Locke's cd album is very good.  I won't be buying the single Without You if it's on the market, it's on the album which I already have.  Buying the album would a good idea because single are $4 anyway.
Boomer Aries
Clayamateur

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 11:56:18 AM »

ACcountryFan wrote:

when you compare a debut single {Fantasia} with all the hype behind it compared to the minimal support for Solitaire/The Way in terms of hype and publicity, i see the writing on the wall already and so i'm prepared to see Fantasia sell more singles since it's her debut .
[/color]

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you, ACcountryFan.  Fantasia's CD single certainly is getting a lot of hype so it probably will outsell 'The Way/Solitaire'.  I was tempted to ask the salesperson at Tower Records how well her CD was selling.  I will say that Fantasia is talented but I don't particularly care for her voice.  I do like Diana Degarmo's voice but I haven't decided if I will be purchasing her CD single.
I did get Kim Locke's album primarily because it has 'Without You' on it. I like her voice so maybe the other songs will grow on me eventually.
I also purchased another copy of 'The Way/Solitaire' to send to a friend.
lorilovesclay
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 01:11:58 PM »

I'd DEFINITELY buy "Without You" as a single!  I bought Kim's album just for that one song because I kept reading about what a beautiful song it was after fans heard Clay sing it during the Independent Tour.  I couldn't stop playing it!  It's a great song that I'm sure would be a huge hit for Clay and Kim and could also be turned into a terrific video!  Clay and Kim sound awesome together.
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2004, 01:52:17 PM »

OK..I broke down and bought Kim's cd. I like it a lot!! BUT the ONLY reason I initially bought it was to have Without You. I know that Clay is proud to be Kim's friend and roommate and singing partner for this song, but I really almost felt like I was cheating Clay out of HIS recognition! As stated, I ONLY BOUGHT IT FOR WITHOUT YOU! What a way to help boost Kim's sales initially!!

There are 2 sides of everything though. If Kim's sells well/ or outsells Clay's MOAM in the long run and has better critic hype and gets more radio play, is it because of the artist? Is it due to the more radio friendly songs of the pop genre? Is it better songs? Is it better marketing? Could be all of these things and more. IS it that she is a better singer than Clay? (In my opinion, not better but strong and different from Clay) Could the popularity for Clay be helping sell her CD's and Clay fans KNOW that could be the only way to have Without You? Maybe.

If her CD tanked..then Clay being on it made not one bit of difference. His popularity did not help her sell her cd. His fan base did not support HIM by buying the cd.. it could go on as an endless critic's dream. "See, his MOAM is a fluke, only based on his TV aftermath...out of sight, out of mind fans base?  His fans didn't care he was on the cd?

No. I do not want Kim's cd to be a better cd in sales, or radio play but after listening to it...it is really pretty good! There are several songs besides Without You that are really great!! I already have a couple of the songs words bopping around in my head!! Tney are just different types of singers and the songs are not the same. They do not necesarily have the same fan base likes and dislikes. I would listen to each of their cds but for different reasons, different moods.

BUT to MAKE MYSELF feel about the that purchase, I also bought ANOTHER MOAM and another Solitaire!! I have the means to do it...so I justified by it by doing that and Claying the other new ones forward..as I have several other copies!!

If you purhcase Kim's CD, It is VERY much like the everyone elses out there! Very Beyonce sounding, very Britany sounding, very Kelly Clarkson sounding, very a lot of top female artist sounding! So , if you are looking for different, like CLAY!!! You may not enjoy the cd so much!

Have a great Sunday afternoon!! Late night tomorrow night with Jimmy Kimmel and CLAY!!!!!!!!! Maybe he will sing I Will Carry You with his LIVE performance EDGE to it!!?

Lora-Ohio.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 03:53:27 PM »

we can' compare fantasia's debut single with solitare because solitare was the second commercial single clay released, "I believe" is the first album of any kind release from fantasia so many of her fans are still in hype to buy the cd in addition to the competition of diana's single releasing next week, the media will be comparing fantasia single debut with clay's first single debut, i don't think fantasia will outsell clay's TITN/BOTW.. i don't know about solitare, maybe she will, if we want him to take home the best selling single of the year we have to keep buying lol
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 11:08:37 PM »

Quote from: HavinaClayAffair
There are 2 sides of everything though. If Kim's sells well/ or outsells Clay's MOAM in the long run and has better critic hype and gets more radio play, is it because of the artist? Is it due to the more radio friendly songs of the pop genre? Is it better songs? Is it better marketing? Could be all of these things and more

======================
well, it's not because she has better songs. My opinion. but everything else is pretty accurate. Clay is not getting any good publicity from RCA the way CURB is dishing it out for Kim. If Kim sells in the same league as Clay's MOAM, it's because of what you said. Better critic support and radio-friendly songs where a large portion of people hear it which brings us to your next point...

Quote from: HavinaClayAffair
If you purchase Kim's CD, It is VERY much like the everyone elses out there! Very Beyonce sounding, very Britany sounding, very Kelly Clarkson sounding, very a lot of top female artist sounding!

===================
this is another twist on what i was talking about earlier on another thread. Top-40 radio doesn't like to play anyone original or who doesn't sound like everyone else. Kim sounds like everyone on top-40 radio. there's Britney type songs, Beyoncé type songs, Christina type songs, etc. Because Clay is being called a "crooner" in some press articles, there isn't anyone in the modern top-40 you can compare him to! This is why everyone reaches back and compares him to Manilow...or on some songs, Elton John...as if it's a crime to be compared to those two?!?!

since there's really no male singers on top-40 radio that aren't rapping or singing against the wail of an electric guitar and screaming and screeching, Clay can't be compared to anyone...and therefore can't "fit in" with what top-40 wants to play by men. Women are different. They can sing in Clay's style and nothing is said about it. so, Clay should come out with a backing band and go out as CLAY AND THE MIGHTY MORTARS and then turn it into a Saturday morning cartoon and a breakfast cereal.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
debs
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 06:09:39 AM »

I agree Clay's has the best fan base of all the idols. Clay has been on the top internet searches since being on the idol show.  You can look it up.  It is on 50.lycos.com.  Clay is #1 for most searched male on the internet. Fantasia did make the charts at #10 for ! week, that was 1 week and then she feel of the charts.  I do believe that does tell the story.  Clay has become the american idol.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx