gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's Playing Where You Are?  (Read 51530 times)
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2004, 10:52:22 AM »

Congratulations, Molly!  I hope you get seats where you can breathe Clay air.  You put forth the effort and the opportunities were dropped in your lap!  YAY!!!!!

If anyone is interested in participating in "RATING THE MUSIC", click here to go to a website called.....ratethemusic.com:  

http://ratethemusic.com/signup.cgi/rtm

You can register at this website and tell them about three radio stations you listen to and which type station you prefer....AC, Top 40, Hot AC, Alternative, Rock, etc.  They will notify you by e-mail when they have a survey for you to take.  I'm registered to take Top 40 survey's since that is what I listen to most frequently.  I've been doing this since November, when Invisible was sent to radio stations for airplay.  Approximately once a month I receive an e-mail with a link to click that takes me to a survey.  It takes approximately 10 minutes to do.  They ask you if you are familiar with a song and if you......:  a. like it a lot   b. like it a little  c.  so, so  d.  dislike it  e. dislike it a lot or,  f.  unfamiliar with the song.  They also provide the recording of the song that you can listen to if you aren't sure by the title.  They give you much more than 15 seconds of the song, too!  Unlike the radio station's way of conducting their survey.  In fact, I think the entire song is available to listen to if that is what you want to do.

There might be 10-15 songs on a survey.  Some of them have been on the radio for only a week and some have been on for months.  Some of the survey's ask you if you are tired of hearing the song on the radio or if you would like to continue hearing it.  Invisible was included on the survey for many, months.  Of course, I told them I would love to continue hearing it and that I liked it a lot!

They also have surveys every now and then that have three or four songs form artists I've never heard of, probably new people, and ask you to listen to the songs and rate them.  It's very simple and kind of fun.

I think ratethemusic.com surveys are used by the big radio stations in conjunction with their own personal survey's they do with 120 people in the hotel ballrooms.  Hopefully they aren't just using their own survey to determine airplay?  Who knows?

So, if you are interested in having your musical opinion heard and counted for something, joining ratethemusic.com and similiar survey hosts may be the only way to have our voices heard in this politically biased radio business.

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2004, 03:57:18 AM »

Quote from: Pamela
IWCY is now on the Mediabase CHR/Pop chart at #129.

YEAH!

Only 31 spins though.  But it's a start!  I'll keep checking and posting any updates.

It's also on the Jump Chart for AC.  This reflects the biggest 'jump' in spins.  It's #14 with + 49 spins.

ETA - Look who is playing IWCY...
WAYV-FM Atlantic City NJ
WXXX-FM Burlington VT
WKGS-FM Rochester NY  
WERO-FM Greenville NC  
WSSX-FM Charleston SC  
WRHT-FM Greenville NC  
WLKT-FM Lexington KY

These are all CHR/Pop stations. If you are in the listening area of any of these stations...start listening!

=====================
i never thought Pop/Top-40 radio would play IWCY. i'm glad to see that his AC support is still somewhat strong.

that article that was posted here about "add dates" and "spin charts" hopefully sheds more light on the airplay factor. even though we already had an idea that individual program director's made the final call, it still showcases that the work in getting a song on the radio is in the hands of the "promoters" but again, if a program director isn't budging for their own reasons, there's not too much a promoter or a label can do. Like the article said, it doesn't matter how good a song is, if it isn't getting any support, then the song might as well not even exist.

for the most part, that was for new acts. Clay isn't a 'new' act because everyone's known of him since AI2...by now, AC radio should have an idea of what to expect from Clay and they should know his music "fits" their format...but knowing it is one thing...getting a program director to realize it is another!

but that's great that Pop radio is playing the song already. It's the least they can do...they're already playing Kelly's song...

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2004, 07:15:06 PM »

RADIO AIRPLAY 101

BDS / Mediabase / Soundscan

We've covered "reporting", as it is done manually by a person filling out a fax or email and sending it to a radio magazine. This is how non-commercial stations, and commercial stations in small and non-rated markets, do their reporting. But the larger commercial stations (the ones with the most listeners) have their reporting taken care of automatically, through a system called "monitoring".

Monitoring is a system that does not rely on what the PD/MD says is playing... instead it listens to what the station actually plays. It is a high-level system, and due to it's cost it is used mostly by medium and large labels... but it definitely is something you should know about.

BDS (BROADCAST DATA SYSTEMS): This system uses computers to listen to the large stations throughout the country. The information is tabulated and sold to subscribing customers... most of which are medium and large labels, management, radio group owners, and others which absolutely have to know where a record is playing, because the decisions that need to be made are going to cost thousands of dollars per market. Subscribers can log on at any time and find out exactly where and how many spins any record is playing, and what time of day it played.

MEDIABASE: This system is similar in concept to BDS, but instead of using computers to listen, it uses people. Also, since a human is actually doing the listening, that person can make notes of special things, like if the music was heard in a advertisement, or if the artist was talked about by DJs, or other things that a computer would miss.

BDS is used to make all the Billboard airplay charts. MediaBase is used to make many of the charts in Radio & Records (except for the specialty and "indicator" charts, which are still done manually.) I should repeat this one point about specialty: Although MediaBase does detect specialty spins on the stations it monitors, this info is not used for the specialty charts in R&R... instead the specialty charts are made using manual reporting. MediaBase subscribers could still, however, search for and find a specialty spin if they wanted to.

MediaBase and BDS monitor about 80% of the same stations; therefore you may need to get both in order to get proper coverage.

The other major charts, FMQB and CMJ, use manual reporting for both the specialty and regular-rotation charts, and thus they are more suited to the beginning label.

Larger labels that have several projects going at once (and who are already selling 200 to 300 albums per week) might want to take a look at a BDS overall-package that let's them log on at any time to check spins. Smaller labels will have to get the limited one-title package that just emails you the results every Monday. Mediabase, since it can be accessed at any time with even it's smallest package, is a good starting point for smaller labels.

Mediabase has a special section for the indicator stations, called R&R Tracking. This sub-section of Mediabase is good if your genre has a lot of indicator stations, but, it's non-real time; the results can only be had once a week.

SOUNDSCAN: This system should not be confused with BDS or MediaBase. Soundscan is not for radio... it is for retail sales. It is the system that is connected to the barcode scanners at retail stores; it tabulates the sales data, and sells it to subscribers at a lofty price.

A note about who owns whom: Soundscan and Billboard and BDS are all owned by the same company. MediaBase, on the other hand, is owned by Clear Channel, the largest owner of radio stations (1200) in the world.

RADIO-MEDIA
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2004, 05:08:42 AM »

Mediabase Report

IWCY is #12 on the CHR/Pop 'Taking Off' chart. There is an additional 23 spins and 3 new stations have been added.  On AC, the song is at #3 on the Jump Chart with an increase of 82 spins and 21 stations and, it is #11 on the Taking Off chart!

CHR/Pop

WXXX-FM Burlington, VT (9 spins)
WAYV-FM Atlantic City (7 spins)
WKGS-FM Rochester (7 spins)
WRHT-FM Greenville, NC (5 spins)
WSSX-FM Charleston (4 spins)
WERO-FM Greenville, NC (3 spins)
WLKT-FM Lexington (3 spins)

Mainstream AC

WFMK-FM Lansing (11 spins / +4 from last week!)
WRAL-FM Raleigh (7 spins)
WJKK-FM Jackson (7 spins)
WLHT-FM Grand Rapids (6 spins)
WFPG-FM Atlantic City(6 spins)
WLTJ-FM Pittsburgh (6 spins)
KXLY-FM Spokane (6 spins)
WTFM-FM Johnson City (5 spins)
KVKI-FM Shreveport (5 spins)
KJOY-FM Modesto/Stockton (5 spins)
KUDL-FM Kansas City (4 spins)
WSUY-FM Charleston (3 spins)
KKDJ-FM Bakersfield (3 spins)
KVLY-FM McAllen/Brnsvlle (3 spins)
WRVF-FM Toledo (2 spins)

Thanks to Nova at the Clackhouse for the spin count!  Have you heard IWCY where you live?
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2004, 04:47:33 PM »

Congrats on winning those tickets Molly!  You are going to have an awesome time!  We can't wait to hear about it!

I'm glad to see that more stations are picking up IWCY.  I have been listening, but still haven't heard it.  I know that a few of the stations that we get here are on the list, so I feel better knowing that at least they are giving it some spins!

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
Michele
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2004, 10:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Pamela
Invisible is still being played on at least 24 stations across the country nearly 10 months after it's release, in large markets such as Denver, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Salt Lake City and Indianapolis. I haven't checked, but I would venture a guess that most of these stations are AC format.  AC stations are not so trend oriented like pop stations are.

Pamela,
I heard Invisible on Baltimore Mixed 106.5 today.  I also heard it two times on Monday.  They are AC.   Wink:

They have not added IWCY yet.   :(   I am sure it will be soon.  These guys never seemed to like Clay.  However, after the Baltimore concert and interview for their station they have gotten very generous with playing OMC.  :D

CONGRATULATION ON WINNING YOUR TICKETS MOLLY!
forever_clay
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2004, 01:42:28 AM »

MOLLY- why disn't you tell me you won tickets?? THAT ROCKS!! congratulations. You would have been my number one pick from the boards if it was my decission! haha, thanks again for all the help!!!

Secondly, WISCONSIN SUCKS. i just have to say that. i don' think there is a radio station that knows any names that aren't Brittney, Christina, Justin, or Maroon 5. i get soooo sick of the radio here. haven't listened in a few months. Cd's are the only way i get ANY variation in the music...
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2004, 05:55:35 AM »

WELL CONNECTICUT SUCKS WORSE.

WHEN INVISIBLE CAME OUT YES THEY PLAYED IT.  I HEARD THE WAY ONCE ON A STATION HERE AND SINCE THEN HAVE NOT HEARD ANY OF CLAYS MUSIC.  MAYBE THINGS WILL CHANGE WITH IWCY BUT I WILL NOT HOLD MY BREATH.

[/color]LORRAINE
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2004, 06:30:32 AM »

Yesterday on the radio between 7:30 am -7:00 PM they played on WSRS 96.1
 INVISSIBLE, THIS IS THE NIGHT, THE WAY & SOLITAIRE TWICE, BUT DID NOT HEAR IWCY.  I JUST THINK THEY NEED TO BE REMINDED TO PLAY THAT AS WELL---BUT I CAN'T COMPLAIN THEY ARE PRETTY CLAY FRIENDLY.  :D  8)

Take care,
Angela

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2004, 06:49:25 AM »

forever_clay: i sent you a PM with two AC radio stations. I don't know what part of the state you're in but the two AC stations that might be likely to play IWCY in Wisconsin are:

1. WLTQ: Milwaukee-Racine
2. WMGN- Madison

i don't think you'll ever hear Clay on a Top-40 station, which is what you were saying you're getting tired of hearing! Britney, Christina, Usher, Eminem, etc...they're all Top-40...but those are the only two AC stations i came across in Wisconsin while i was on the R&R site this morning. they might stream on-line?? i'm not saying they'll play IWCY right away. It just came out...but those two stations are more likely to play Clay's songs than the one you were talking about.

ANGELA: it's typical for a radio station to play an artist's recurrents before they add or play the new song. This is perhaps why the station you listen to played Clay so much...because they're seeing if there's a demand for him :roll: before they add/play IWCY. If you hear them play the song, of course, start requesting it a few times a week. But if they get requests from fans before they even play it, they'll know the demand is from his fans...and they won't play it! for whatever reason, radio hates to play songs that they feel are fan-driven...

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2004, 07:38:16 AM »

Quote from: ACcountryFan

ANGELA: it's typical for a radio station to play an artist's recurrents before they add or play the new song. This is perhaps why the station you listen to played Clay so much...because they're seeing if there's a demand for him :roll: before they add/play IWCY. If you hear them play the song, of course, start requesting it a few times a week. But if they get requests from fans before they even play it, they'll know the demand is from his fans...and they won't play it! for whatever reason, radio hates to play songs that they feel are fan-driven...

AC,  YOU IMPRESS ME SO MUCH, YOU ARE 1 VERY SMART GUY 8) .
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INPUT TO THIS SITE,  HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY THAT I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE YOU---WELL I DO!! :D

Thanks,
Angela

"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2004, 12:02:07 PM »

AC - I KNOW YOU ALWAYS HELP ME I AM REALLY FRUSTRATED.  WHY WILL THEY PLAY KELLY, DIANA, FANTASIA.  IS IT A WOMAN THING.  I JUST WANT TO SCREAM AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS.

LORRAINE
Michele
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2004, 06:30:17 PM »

Angela,
They certainly do seem Clay friendly.   shock:  I really wish I had that station around here.  I bet that will give IWCY plenty of play.   :D
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2004, 05:01:36 AM »

LORRAINE, I WANNA SCREAM WITH YOU TOO...but i'll raise my voice a little instead! i don't know why Kelly, Kim, and Fantasia seem to have an open door policy with radio. maybe radio programmers are sexist and get turned on by women singers and their alluring music videos?

I haven't heard Diana at all...i reported that Kelly was #40 pop this week in Radio and Records and that chart goes by airplay as does AC...where Fantasia and Kim are sitting...so, IWCY needs to join the parade in the coming weeks.
[/size]

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
cjrmax
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2004, 02:05:22 PM »

Well, if it make anyone feel better - the station I listen to USED to play Invisible and TITN daily.  The only Kelly song they played was "A Moment Like This", but I haven't heard that in months.  I have heard "8th World Wonder" exactly twice (once today) and I heard "Solitaire" once.  Granted, I only listen at work, but that's a lot of hours!  I have never heard Fantasia or Diana, or Ruben for that matter (although way back they did ocassionally play "Flying Without Wings").  This is a station that is definitely AC, and advertises itself as "family friendly".  It is the perfect fit for Clay, but yet no Clay.  I have just today requested IWCY, but am not holding my breath!  I have all but given up on radio play for Clay.  For some reason, the powers that be in radio DO NOT want to play him, no matter what.  I hope he has better songs on his next album, radio friendly songs, so that maybe, just maybe, they won't be able to deny him radio play any longer.
forever_clay
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2004, 09:27:51 PM »

i had a major break through this evening!! i know a guy who works at our AM radio station here in town and i told him to tell his manager to play ANY form of Clay on the FM station (easy listening...kind of like dentist office stuff which i have come to almost enjoy...the station, not the dentist!!) ANYWAY, Gene, the manager, whom i've met before, emailed me back and said that all i gotta do is say when and what one!! and so i wrote him back that i wanted them all at some point tomorrow and he said sure! done! so YAY!!! i get to listen to clay tomorrow!! "oh happy day!!"
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2004, 11:42:18 PM »

it looks like IWCY will become an airplay hit. over on the R&R AC chart it's #3 on the Most Increased Plays sub-chart and #1 on the New and Active sub-chart. Success on the sub-charts almost always point in the direction of the National AC Top-30...and this is all based on airplay. This isn't a sales chart like "Solitaire" is on, at #7 this week. so all the chart success of IWCY will be airplay-driven.

forever_clay: who are the artists that are played on the station you were talking about? AC radio plays acts like Phil Collins, Dido, Michael McDonald, Clay, Josh Groban, etc. soft rock/lite rock.

well, at least the AC stations around here play those acts! it's different in every market. if a program director is bent on not giving someone airplay, none will happen! so, it doesn't matter to me if he's played here at all...i'd like it to happen don't get me wrong...!

but if he gets on the AC Top-30, that means he's being played somewhere and that's good enough for me and i'm happy he's "on the charts"!

so don't let this lack of airplay fool you. He's still very popular. He's just up against program directors who want him to sing in a style he's said in interviews he won't do.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
forever_clay
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2004, 03:17:30 PM »

Quote from: ACcountryFan

forever_clay: who are the artists that are played on the station you were talking about? AC radio plays acts like Phil Collins, Dido, Michael McDonald, Clay, Josh Groban, etc. soft rock/lite rock.  

yeah, thats exactly who is on it except there is a bit of country too. its actually a pretty decent station! good news about clay and the charts!
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2004, 05:29:44 PM »

AC - AS ALWAYS YOU PUT EVERYTHING IN THE RIGHT PERSPECTIVE.
WE ARE SO GLAD YOU KEEP US DOWN TO EARTH WHICH IS HARD TO DO A LOT OF TIMES BECAUSE WE DO KNOW HOW EVERYONE JUST LOVES HIM.

LORRAINE  
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2004, 05:30:03 PM »

I have a question to ask--maybe AC or PAMELA may know the answer to this.

I have told you in the past that  the radio station I listen to located in Worcester WSRS,  96.1 is very Clay friendly & never have problems playing any of Clay's songs.  My question is when they Play IWCY during their request hours, does that count for a spin.  I heard IWCY twice today , but only during the request time.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Angela

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx