gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 341
Total: 341

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE TOUCH CONTROVERSY...  (Read 11559 times)
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2004, 12:39:30 PM »

Am I missing something here?  How did this Touch conversation get started in the first place?  Just curious, can someone tell me?

I would like to say though, that I think Clay will be involved in a lot of the decision making where his career is concerned.  And, from what I have heard him say in some of his interviews, if he doesn't feel comfortable doing or signing something, he won't.  It is ultimately his decision.  

As for his sex appeal and his being comfortable with it, COME ON, he has to feel a lot more comfortable now than at the beginning of his career.  How could he not.  Look at the transformation that has taken place since his first audition on AI.  He has become quite sexy, and with women carrying on the way they do, how can he not see it.  

I don't think a little dancing like in WDC or some of the lyrics in Touch, are tasteful.  GIVE ME A BREAK!!!   :roll:  :roll: :roll:  He's a 25 year old male.  If a squeaky clean performance is what you are looking for, then maybe church is where you should be doing your attending. If you compare Clay with most of the male pop singers out there, he's about as tasteful as you are going to get.

I am surprised at the difference in opinions on this board.   The BLBT certainly shows a different side of what has been voiced on this thread.  I say the man is sexy, and a little sexiness isn't going to hurt him one bit. Wink:
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2004, 12:54:17 PM »

I started this discussion because I was reading the thread about IWCY being rumored to be the next single.  Someone along the way mentioned that they'd like to see him release Touch next, and that they thought it'd get more radio play.  Some of the replies to this were basically comments like: Clay doesn't like the song and we should respect his wishes, so let it go.  Yet when I did a poll on this very board about what song we'd like to see be his next single, Touch won hands down.

Having seen similar comments like that on other threads mentioning the song, it prompted me to ask what the big deal was and how liking the song and hoping to see it as a single was in anyway disrespectful to Clay or his wishes.  To me, a request for any of his songs is supporting him, so I had to ask why.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

outthereforclay
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »

LadyC wrote:
I don't think a little dancing like in WDC or some of the lyrics in Touch, are tasteful. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!    He's a 25 year old male. If a squeaky clean performance is what you are looking for, then maybe church is where you should be doing your attending.

I'm pretty sure you mean to write "distasteful" there, by the way... Laughing:

In any case this whole thing is cracking me up! Here we are discussing the element of "vulgarity" in Clay Aiken's music choices!  shock: This is really too rich! You know, Clay came along at an interesting time...that fact accounts for SOME of his incredibly loyal and adamant fans--He offered an alternative to almost everything else out there in the music world and that alternative felt pure and clean and refreshing and uplifting. Because he is truly a gift to us all.

But sometimes I think that some people who have certain beliefs about life, how to live life, how to be a "moral" person, grabbed onto Clay for dear life and at times run the risk of projecting more of a fundamentalist profile on him than he might, in reality, wear. It is when I hear this kind of projection of beliefs that I get frustrated.

Now...that said....I happen to be of a liberal mind when it comes to some of these things; I am a moral person, but I am also a vital, passionate, juicy human being, too, so it doesn't shock me to imagine that Clay has a vital, passionate, juicy side to him; it doesn't make me go "tsk tsk" when it is suggested that he might actually have sexual thoughts or even  shock:  have sexual experience! :o  It doesn't upset me to think that he would dare "do this" or "say that" or "move that way" or "sing that song".

Because ultimately, I think he is an extraordinary man. He embodies so many admirable traits that man or woman would do well to emulate (notice I did not say "worship"). He is an amazingly generous person and he is one of the most honest people I've encountered regarding his spirituality, his faith. Why? Because he DOES NOT PREACH IT; HE DOES NOT IMPOSE IT ON ANYONE ELSE; HE DOES NOT JUDGE ANYONE BECAUSE HE/SHE MIGHT NOT SHARE HIS OWN BELIEFS; HE DOES NOT PRESENT HIMSELF FIRST AS SOMEONE WHO HAS SOMETHING TO TEACH US. Rather he LIVES what he believes...it shines through him in all that he does--his teaching, his relationships with his friends and family, his foundation and his desire to advocate for the less fortunate, his genuine affection for his fans, and of course, THAT VOICE! :oops:

So, because HE is always the same, I do not get so worked up about individual things he might say one day or do another. Because I trust him to be true to himself. And that's more than good enough for me.

(Poor guy....he carries the burden of being someone who inspires both love and lust...Personally, I believe he's up to the challenge.... 8)
Invisible Touch
Claymaniac

Minneapolis, MN

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2004, 06:47:39 PM »

Some people asked when Clay had mentioned Touch as a single.  At least one of the times was in the interview he did for a Chicago station on 3/22/04 during the Independant Tour.

You can find it on Airplay Central under Audio - Chicago.

I just relistened to the intervew and it is a good one he covers lots of subjects! Go Listen!!

"Clay Aiken is an ordinary-extraordinary human being.  I hope we always remember to treat him as that human being rather than the idol he chooses not to be."  – Kathy Malamut (Beavers on Idol)
lovethatclay
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2004, 07:24:27 PM »

personally, i like the lyrics to touch(very romantic) but don't particularly like the arrangement to this song.

i must admit at first when i listened to the lyrics to touch i was surprised not  because i'm some angel whose "virgin" ears have never heard such a thing. more because i heard clay say he would not sing any songs with sexually explicit language. clay also had explained on 20/20 with diane sawyer he did not like one line and had them change the lyric in the song  moam where  it said something like; would he make love to her.

sexually explicit can mean different things to different people and i know when i heard touch and the lyric "for the passion and love that we make as the sunset is fading away" i was thinking wow this is sexy.  i knew that a debate would develop about the lyrics.  i think rightfully so ONLY because of statements clay had made previously in interviews.

i am not saying by any means i think clay should absolutely not sing this type of lyric. i would be lying if i said i didn't enjoy the heck out of wdc and all those lovely erotic stories and montages i've seen at least once maybe twice.

i am simply saying i understand why there has been such diverse opinions and debate on this song and wdc. i'ts obvious this has all been a learning process for clay he has had to make many decisions about a lot of things in his career in a short time and how he has done it as well as he has thus far is admirable to say the least.

toning down his dancing with angela on wdc and changing the lyric in isy tell me that he wants to keep things relatively tame. he seems to still be trying to find his own style.

quote:
 I'd bet my panties (which, by the way, I NEVER threw on stage at any of the concerts!  ) he's probably had a change of heart about singing Touch these days.
------------------------------
i had to add this quote it really cracked me up. only time will tell what clay decides to do and boy i think it's going to be fun to watch..
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »

Thanks LadyC for letting me know how this discussion all came about in the first place.   :D

OutthereforClay writes:

(Poor guy....he carries the burden of being both someone who inspires both love and lust ...Personally, I believe he's up to the challenge....

That was priceless. Laughing:  Laughing:  Laughing:
spartus90
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2004, 11:29:25 PM »

I love Touch...it's a great song!  But then I love anything he sings.  Even Old MacDonald would do it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2004, 06:37:06 AM »

So, because HE is always the same, I do not get so worked up about individual things he might say one day or do another. Because I trust him to be true to himself. And that's more than good enough for me.

Very, very well said.  I couldn't agree more.  

And, outthereforclay, just for the record, the words you quoted were not mine.   Wink:

Aunt Em,
~Dorothy

outthereforclay
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2004, 09:21:19 AM »

And, outthereforclay, just for the record, the words you quoted were not mine.
OH! So sorry, LadyC! That's a big mistake and I'm sorry...I just hate it when people put words in MY mouth, too! Wink:  Laughing:
MisCindysu
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2004, 12:06:59 PM »

Ok I know this is like my 4th post but anyways...
Basically Clay is going to release what makes him feel comfortable and if thats IWCY then so be it as fans we will support his desision no matter what well at least I know I will even though IWCY is not one of my more favorite songs  from MOAM  and Touch is my most favorite I really don't want Clay to sing something he is not comfortable with!!!
But as for Touch being too sexy, in  my oppinion it's not ..I think it's very intimate,and romantic  love song  it has passion and is sung in a sutble and tactful manor.
But not everyone is going think the same as I do regarding touch and thats fine everyone on this site is able to voice thier oppinion with out name calling and becoming defensive which is why I love it here everyone here is on the same page when it comes to having respect for one another and  of course OMC....
Now for those of us who would just love to see Clay release Touch as a single and of course a very nice video to go along with it lets hope Clay has changed his oppinion of the song if so that would be great,but if he still chooses to release IWCY I know we will still support him just the same..and It's Clay everything he does is just soo special and amazing and if radio can't see that then it's their lose :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:Ok I will try and stop voicing my oppinion sooo much on Touch..LOL yeah right  :!:  :!:  :!:
outthereforclay
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2004, 12:17:17 PM »

Now for those of us who would just love to see Clay release Touch as a single and of course a very nice video to go along
Know what? I just realized I have absolutely NO OPINION about him releasing Touch AS A SINGLE or not!

I just want to see him perform the danged song in concert! 8)  Twisted:
MisCindysu
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2004, 12:24:57 PM »

Well outthereforclay I would also love to see him perfrom in concert as well..and if you don't have an oppinion on weather or not he should release it as a single is an oppinion in a way..LOL
But unfortuanatly for California he's not touring here and I for one am not able to fly or drive around the country to go and see him in concert D*mn it anyways...sorry for the profanity..but it's really ticks me off....but if you are able to see him I really do hope he atleast he does perform it for his fans that do love the song..but only if he decides he wants to!
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2004, 02:18:47 PM »

I love IWCY.  I know it's not as upbeat as Touch, which I also love, but the lyrics are so beautiful.  I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so I spend a good deal of time fighting depression.  IWCY has gotten me through some very rough times.  

Clay probably doesn't know it, but his incredible voice singing those comforting words really makes you want to hang on and remember that the bad feelings eventually pass.  Sometimes listening to it in the dark is the only way I can finally sleep.  I wish he knew how deeply he touches people, because I know I am in no way the only one.

I still think Touch would do better on the radio, and there is nothing wrong with the song, in my opinion.  But if he releases IWCY, I'll be thrilled.

What it comes down to is that we're behind him all the way.  Like many of you have already said, I would support him whatever he decided.  His intentions are good and genuine, and his talent is a gift - not just to him, but to us as well.

Aunt Em,
~Dorothy

LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2004, 05:38:03 PM »

After watching the video of WDC from the Dover Benefit, I can't understand why anyone is making such a big deal about the lyrics in Touch.  That video was VERY sexy.   shock:    Much more so than during the Independent Tour.  If he's dancin' like that, maybe he's changed his mind about the lyrics in Touch.  I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed watching the video, and I suggest everyone go take a look at it. Wink:  :D  Wink:
outthereforclay
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2004, 03:47:31 PM »

LuvmyClay:

YEAY! Yes, he had fun with WDC in Dover...he also had "fun" ( :oops: ) in DC and Worcester, and Sacto and St. Paul and...

well, anyway....I love that Clay is such a ......"fun"....guy 8) yeah, baby....
wil555
SuperFan

I'm the 17 year old guy

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2004, 06:56:27 PM »

Okay, I'll just go bluntly here. Please forgive anything offensive I say.

Touch sucks. Kinda. I hate the way it sounds. It's totally un-Clay. It sounds like the record execs said, "Sing this song for the pop radio culture, I don't care if it's not 'you.' Tough. Sing it." I can't stand it. The near end is okay, when he hits the sweet high note. But come on. What IS that intro? When I think Clay, I think inspirational, uplifting, easy piano/strings with some awesome notes. Not beeeyyyooowwwing bass. I understand why some people like it, it shows Clay's "sexy" side, and since it's so small, they'll take what they can get.

It might just be that I'm a male Clay enthusiast, but I don't like his forced sexiness. Just not for me. Give me Solitaire, Open Arms, or I Will Be Here any day. Not Touch. Just leave it out somewhere for the ladies or something.

-Greg...Clayguy-
Are YOU Claying it forward?
828 - Greg+Clay=LOVE
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2004, 07:18:40 PM »

Your comments are interesting.  I'd never really looked at the song that way, but I can see where you're coming from.  Recording your first album and feeling like you can't really speak your mind would be unnerving.  It would be daunting to say the least.

I don't know if that's how Clay felt or not.  Not a clue.

I, personally, love the song.  But if it seemed forced to me, I would feel the same way you do.

Aunt Em,
~Dorothy

Anonymous
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2004, 02:03:35 PM »

ITA with what you've said Lady C.

Clay singing at his concerts and releasing Touch would be great.  There is nothing wrong with this song, it's a love song and not at all sleezy, vulgar.  It is just a song.

Laughing:
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2004, 05:29:54 PM »

Quote from: wil555
It sounds like the record execs said, "Sing this song for the pop radio culture, I don't care if it's not 'you.' Tough. Sing it."

==================
i said the same thing in different words. however, Clay likes the song. He's said that he doesn't hate it but he doesn't feel it's the "right" song for him to promote...for people who don't understand "image" it's a bit confusing as to how someone can to WDC but not do Touch. i've tried to explain that perhaps Clay doesn't see Touch as a song he can joke with. From the start he's always said that WDC is a joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously. however, Touch was actually recorded by Clay...and so he can't say "Touch is a joke and don't take it seriously" even though in my opinion Clive said exactly what you said: "tough...record it anyway!". i even think Clay is quoted as saying that if he had control over MOAM, Touch wouldn't have been put on it...not because he hates it but because of other reasons.    

Quote from: wil555
It might just be that I'm a male Clay enthusiast, but I don't like his forced sexiness

=====================
in my opinion, Clay causes people to scream and get excited even on songs that are far away from "sex". On the Idol show, he sung a song called "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch" that wasn't sexy in the traditional sense but how he looked as he performed it made it appear sexy. Again, for me, it comes with the looks and the hands and the facial expressions. I've often said that Clay doesn't need "sexy songs" to make a song sound sexy. i think that's what you're meaning by forced sexiness? i think i said a few days ago that Clay doesn't need a song like "Do You Think I'm Sexy" or "I Want To Sex You Up" to be seen as sexy.

women out there saw Clay as being sexy singing BOTW...because of how he performed it...the "sexiness" was natural and he didn't need actual sexy lyrics to convey the message...

because of that, just maybe, Clay feels Touch goes over-the-line in what he's comfortable singing.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
wil555
SuperFan

I'm the 17 year old guy

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2004, 05:42:32 PM »

To me, it seems, Clay's image is an uncharacteristic one of today's world. Most music today is basically sex in a song. Clay is not like that. Clay is far from that. He uses tasteful music to portray useful messages in his songs.

"Touch" is about as "sexy" as I think Clay is going to get. At least as far as the lyrics go. As you said, Clay can be sexy singing anything. That is true. But it's different. Being sexy with a great voice and good showmanship is different than being sexy because of suggestive words and strippers.

Clay impresses me with his class that he shows when he sings. I look for that in all of the songs I hear him sing. "Touch" doesn't really give me that. As I said, it doesn't sound "Clay." You can look in any of his other songs, and they all tell you a message, something you can take from the song and think about in a positive way. I do that with all of Clay's songs. What's so life-changing about "Touch?" The best thing I can find is "Angel, heaven starts here"...but that's all.

Not my style, but I can see some Clay fans who would enjoy such a song. Just not the classy clay style I prefer.

-Greg...Clayguy-
Are YOU Claying it forward?
828 - Greg+Clay=LOVE
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx