gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 261
Total: 261

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE TOUCH CONTROVERSY...  (Read 11561 times)
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« on: June 19, 2004, 02:04:30 PM »

Perhaps I'm a bit simple minded, but I just can't understand it.  What is the big deal about Touch?  Yes, it's an unbelievably sexy song.  Yes, it does speak of intimacy.  And yes, Clay apparently doesn't like the song.  Clay's a morally upstanding guy, and that's one of the reasons many of us love him so much.  We don't want him to do anything that would make him feel he's sold out.  I get ALL of that.

What I can't quite grasp is why people seem to get so upset when it's mentioned.  Repeatedly on this board when a member mentions that they would like to see Touch be Clay's next single, somebody gets irked about it and rushes to what I guess they think is Clay's defense.  And always, and I do mean always, they use the phrase, "Respect Clay's wishes..."

Uh, hello?  I don't see a lack of respect for Clay Aiken anywhere among us.  We all love him and respect what he stands for.  If we didn't - we wouldn't be here.  But Touch is his song, whether it's his favorite or not.  Yes, it talks about sex, but it isn't vulgar or trashy in any way.  He's said he doesn't like the sexuality of it, but I doubt he spends a fraction of the energy being upset about it that some of the fans do.  If it offended him so deeply that we should never, ever mention it - he would never have recorded it in the first place.

The fact is that this song would get airplay - period.  Sells alone are not enough to sustain his career.  Clay needs more radio play.  This song is seductive, but not sleezy.  I wouldn't see him as selling out his morals if he released it as a single.  It's already out there anyway.  And sex between consenting adults is a normal and healthy part of life.  This song doesn't advocate any kind of depravity or carry any negative connotations.  It's a love song, and he sings it like he owns it!  I say Bravo, Clay, another song of yours that gives me chills.  It makes people feel , it touches people- and isn't that what he says is his ultimate goal?

I love Touch.  Absolutely love it.  And I would never disrespect Clay or his wishes.  I respected him when I voted until my finger turned blue on AI.  I respected him when I rushed out and bought more than one copy of every single, CD, or magazine that bore his name.  I respected him when I saw him live in SLC.  And I am still respecting him, his morality, and his wishes when I turn the volume up and sing along to Touch on my MOAM CD.  Just as I didn't think less of him when I watched him bump and grind to WDC.  The man is sexy and so is that song- that is not a bad thing.

I'm sorry if my words seem offensive to anyone.  I truly am.  But I hate to see this great board become a place where only certain things are allowed to be discussed, or topics becoming taboo because Clay may have indicated once or twice that it wasn't his best or favorite thing.  I respect Clay more than I have any artist in my life, and I love him for his morals and strength of character.  But Touch is some of his work, and it's a beautiful song.  I don't think it makes me disloyal to his wishes because I support a song that he sings and that I paid for!

LadyC

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

tessie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 02:09:53 PM »

Bravo Lady C!
caramel131
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 02:11:13 PM »

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
caramel131
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 02:12:33 PM »

Tessie, I see we were thinking on the same lines.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 02:28:27 PM »

become a place where only certain things are allowed to be discussed, or topics becoming taboo

We on the board need to understand this goes both ways! Those that don't like Touch or the WDC should have the same privilege & opportunity to express their opinions.
mrsaiken3504
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 02:47:27 PM »

:D I love touch too! I actually would be very surprised if he did not sing it on the tour. I read an article online once about how Clay was sort of stepping out of his box and it basically said he was becoming more comfortable with his sexy ( seems like the only good word for it lol) side
Ilovetowrite
UltimateFan

me
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 02:48:55 PM »

I think the song makes me happy, and I am glad he sings it.

Keeper of Clays straight hair and Flip flops.

CLAY'S BUS BABE.
Clays Traveling Gypsy.
bisi
UltimateFan

The Eyes have it!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 03:24:54 PM »

Well said, Lady C.  I, too, love Touch and wish he would sing it in concert and make it a single.    I agree, I think it would be a hit AND would get radio time.

CLAYLOVE IS POWERFUL!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know  peace." - Jimi Hendrix
STEPHANIE1130
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 04:23:09 PM »

I agree,it's a great song!
MisCindysu
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 04:32:01 PM »

Ladyc I agree with you he would not be a sell out if touch was released as
his next single ...Yes Clay is a moral person and believes what he believes'
but he's also a Man and him singing touch would not tarnish his morals...because the song is not vulgar nor is it being sung in a trashy way....He sings like a man and that's what he is a man and everyone in their life will have a sexual experience ..unless your a nun or priest...
So I don't know why people get up set about the mention of the song..it's a
great sexy song :!:  :!:  :!:
That I think alot of his more mature audience can Identify with :!:  :!:
And this is my oppinion I know not everyone will agree ..but Touch is one of my most favorite songs on the cd ..I love them all but Touch just stands out for me ..And I can except the fact that Clay feels it should not be released or be sung in concert thats his choice!!!
But I do think if Touch was released that radio would pick it up in a heart beat!!
houstonclayfan
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 04:46:35 PM »

I do agree that everyone has the right to their opinion.  I am one of the people who simply doesnt like the song. Its not the lyrics. It has nothing to do with the morality of Clay. The song is just not one of my favorites. Clay has said himself that he doesnt like the song.  That leads some of us to believe that he wouldnt release it as a single. Therefore, some of us try to defend Clay in the sense that we dont want him to release a song to radio that he himself does not like.  If he said that he didnt like IWCY then I wouldnt want him to release that song.

There is a difference between stating that you like Touch and wishing that it were his next single and demanding that he release a song that he doesnt like because you do. The way that it has been said may have caused "defensive statements" in the past.

Everyone always has a right to their own opinion on this board.
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 04:55:50 PM »

well, for me, i get sort of upset when the song is mentioned because it's a divisive topic.

Clay did not have a lot of imput on his CD. Yes, he did record "Touch" but i think he recorded it against his better judgement because Clive Davis or someone at RCA insisted he record it. i'll imagine that after recording the song, he told everyone in the studio that it won't be released as a single and he's sticking to his word.

see, in some people's interpretation, the song is a detailed description of sexual intercourse shock: and you know the line that has people thinking that? "magic's alive tonight in your arms; i wanna drown in your body, get lost in your charms..." and the other line about how it feels "when we move"...and i have a feeling Clay sees the song that way, too, and therefore he's uncomfortable singing it.

but Clay is not going to release a song just for radio airplay's sake. i know that sounds crazy...but i still think he wants his integrity and refuses putting out the style of music he said he wants to provide an alternative to and so in Clay's mind, in my opinion, "Touch" is nothing more than a sex song and if people want to hear that they can buy a Justin, Britney, or Janet CD...and so, he's probably regretting he ever recorded that song.

those are my opinions of this song. i personally love the song...even after all i said about it.

but the bottom line for me is that people love or not love the song...and that's why i try to not talk about it...and when the head guy, Clay, doesn't care for the song either, there's not much more anyone can say that doesn't ultimately cause people to start arguing back and fourth about "i love Touch" or "i hate Touch" etc.

the phrase "respect Clay's wishes" in my opinion means that since he's went on the record by saying he doesn't want the song as a single, then why suggest it to be a single knowing he doesn't want it to be? that's what meant by that. i don't want Clay releasing a song he doesn't like no matter if he recorded it because as i said in the beginning of the post, we don't know how it came to be that he recorded "Touch" and so since he's said he doesn't want it as a single it's safe for me, at least, to assume he was forced to record the song.

it's one thing to have his fans see him as sexy but it's totally different when that sexy artist starts to sell it through music. See what i'm saying? in my opinion, Clay's sexiness is accidental...it just happened...he wasn't up there on the stage literally singing Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy?". That would be crude...and maybe Clay feels that "Touch" sells sex and it's something he doesn't want to be a part of? what's everyone's thoughts about that scenario??

so i guess i'll be the unpopular one on this topic!!

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 05:11:07 PM »

Well said ACCountry!

I would also like to add to your comments, that Clay shouldn't do things he dislikes just because his fans want it. He's always been very sensitive to his fans and lets us know all the time how much we mean to him. Let's just let Clay be Clay and do what HE wants to do or not do.

He has made it very clear several times that the image the lyrics pose is not the image he wants to portray to kids and families. I agree that TOUCH was not a song he would have picked and I kinda doubt if he would have picked it even now.
outthereforclay
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 05:18:50 PM »

Clay's sexiness is accidental...it just happened...he wasn't up there on the stage literally singing Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy?". That would be crude...and maybe Clay feels that "Touch" sells sex and it's something he doesn't want to be a part of?

AC...now you know that in the past, I have often agreed with the information and points of view you've expressed. but.

"Clay's sexiness is ACCIDENTAL?"  shock:  Gotta pull the gender card on this one. I doubt that many women find Clay's sexiness "accidental"; in fact, nothing he does on stage is accidental in my hormonal opinion. Clay might not have been as comfortable with his sexiness before his fame and the constant adoration of millions, but he seems to be OK with it now...AND I would go so far as to say, he LOVES being sexy to us! and for us! and he continues to do/say/look in ways that he KNOWS we....er....respond...to! He's a hottie! Now he KNOWS it and he's having fun with it....good for him (and bettter for us! Wink: )

and "he wasn't up on stage singing Rod Stewart's "Do You Think..". No, he was on stage singing Prince's "When Doves Cry" and dancing more and more provocatively as the tour went on? WHY? Because he was getting more and more comfortable being sexy and liked being sexy and had a blast being sexy!

YeaY for Sexy Clay! :D
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 05:31:38 PM »

Laughing: you all see why i try to keep divisive topics from being discussed??

what i was meaning by "accidental" was that it just happened. i should've used the word natural. because his sexiness comes naturally, and he didn't thrust it to the forefront :oops: poor choice of words Laughing: he doesn't take his sexiness seriously...but he sees "Touch" as a serious song that sells it and he saw WDC as a joke...

all i'm saying is my opinion on this subject is the unpopular one and so i won't be talking about it. i'll read everyone else's comments.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Anonymous
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2004, 05:33:59 PM »

"When Doves Cry" and dancing more and more provocatively as the tour went on?

Sorry. . . . I was fortunate enough to go to 8 Independent Tour concerts and most of those concerts had 2-3 row seats. My concerts were scattered through out the tour schedule from beginning to end. I always closely watched the WDC segment and never saw the "dancing more and more provocatively as the tour went on" thing. Yet everytime, the ClayMate reviews were hot & horny. Yes he had fun, but I personally didn't see anything nearly as HOT HOT HOT as so many report. I kinda think it's all in the eye of the beholder and the imagination. People see what they want to see and think what they want to think regardless of the facts.

Accidental sexiness? Yes, I think I can go along with that to a point.
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2004, 05:48:42 PM »

In the post before yours, i made mention that "accidental" was the wrong word. i was meaning "natural". His sexiness wasn't something that was top priority, which is what drawn me to him besides his voice. i was glad to see a guy, finally, not using machismo and all the old tricks to gain fame...i'll always like Clay sexy or not...i just have this gut feeling that "Touch" in his mind sells sex and WDC didn't and that's why he did that song and not Touch and i hope everyone can understand my view too. you don't have to agree. i understand all of yours.

you remember when i said i wouldn't post about this again? i can never stick to my word Laughing:

i guess being a man i'm totally lost on this subject Laughing:

so i'll leave it up to all you women to straighten things out!

this is the final time i'll post on this thread...yeah right...i've said that before!!

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
claydel1051
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »

LadyC.... I agree with you. Touch is one of my favorite song on his MOAM CD and I would love to see and hear him sing it live.
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2004, 07:30:12 PM »

I can understand the opinions of those who've said they don't really care for the song.  Variety being the spice of life and all that.  I mean, I'm not especially fond of Look What Love Has Done, bit too sappy for me, and many people love it.  But there's a big difference between posting on a message board that you hope Clay releases Touch as his next single, and demanding it - as someone said.  I've not heard anyone demand it.  Not sure it would do anyone any good to demand anything from Clay, least of all here on a message board of fans that he most likely doesn't read.  

Members of this board saying they would love to hear it on the radio cannot possibly pressure Clay to do something he doesn't want to do.  He doesn't even know we're here!   :D   It's not like we're taking up a petition to try and persuade him to release it.  It's funny, though, that fans did just that for When Doves Cry.  I may be wrong, but I don't recall anyone getting upset on Clay's behalf for that - and that is a Prince song and exudes sex.  (Including myself, I wasn't complaining either, believe me!  Twisted: )

I know Clay wants songs that you can listen to without having to turn the volume down when your children are present.  My 13 year old hears the song pretty much every day, and I have no problem with it.  It's a nursery rhyme compared to Brittney or even Beyonce (who I like).

As for Clay saying he'd never release it as a single or that he thinks the song is too sexual, does anyone know of an actual quote where he really said those things?  Or is this something that used to be a molehill and is now a mountain?  (I'm not saying that to be confrontational or insinuate dishonesty on anyone's part.  I really want to know if Clay actually said it, or if we've projected our own interpretation into it.)

Oh, and AC - your opinion is always welcome.  I, personally, enjoy your posts and the male perspective you bring to the group.  Thanks for being here.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2004, 08:02:50 PM »

Laughing: i've read where people have said "Clay doesn't like the song" and "Clay likes the song but doesn't want to promote it" and another "Touch, it's too suggestive, and Clay doesn't want to promote that". i formed my opinion on what i've heard from fans about Touch. Then, the news of him not releasing the TITN song as a video because of how it looked, has me believing what i do about his stance against Touch.

it's no big deal. like i said, i'll support sexy Clay or professor Clay, depending on what mood he's in...

PS: since Clay's fans are known as "claymaniacs" or "claymates", i'll bet Clay reads this message board too or has his friends keep up with what we're all talking about...i'm sure this message board, plus the official one, and a few others are at the top of the list if he ever wants to see what we're talking about...this is why i'm so against some of those other message boards that allow trash and yelling to go on and on because Clay might see it! it's not hard for him to type in claymaniacs.com and start reading the BLPT! Laughing: someone would have to revive him after he reads that thread!! i fell off my chair after i read the thread for the first time Laughing:

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx