gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:03:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 424
Total: 424

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CLAY AIKEN'S SOLITAIRE  (Read 5244 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: April 25, 2004, 05:47:38 AM »

I AM POSTING THIS "OLD ARTICLE" THAT WAS WRITTEN BEFORE SOLITAIRE WAS RELEASED, FOR DISCUSSION TODAY!!!!  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS TO ADD???  HAVE FUN!!!   Laughing:  Laughing:  Laughing:

Beavers On Idol

Clay Aiken's Solitaire
by James Shepherd (2003/12/17)

I wonder if Clay Aiken fans feel a bit teased by RCA when it  announced the release of the new single Invisible/Solitaire, and then to have it delayed twice, with the second delay giving no specific date? I am sure that RCA was not intending to tease people, but were the delays the result of increased sales of the album through more radio play as Invisible has finally crept up the singles charts? If such is the case, this begs the question as to the function of singles in today's music marketplace. Are singles merely a costly marketing tool used by the recording industry? How many singles need to be sold in order to break even and bring in a profit? Is there even a break even point on singles, and are they merely expensive marketing tools for an album?

Apparently, RCA has now decided to cancel the proposed single Invisible/Solitaire. Well that was a really big tease was it not? Never fear, at least the record label has shown itself to be quite astute indeed by suggesting Solitaire as the "B" side, and actually knows what Clay fans want and are looking for. Whether it will actually deliver another single of substance in the near future is another question, but at least it leaves room for a bit of fun in speculating what kind of single mixes RCA could cook up. Let us see what could be.

The Way/Solitaire

If Clay and RCA have been not getting along lately, the area of contention may be in what should be combined with Solitaire. Solitaire is for the fans, and whatever else goes with Solitaire from "Measure of a Man" is to promote the album. Since Invisible is already out there as a single, but to only the radio stations, if a new single is to be released for the public to buy, the album would be better promoted by releasing another cut from the album. This is not brain surgery. The Way was one of the few album cuts that even negative reviewers actually liked. But why stop here? Why no consideration for other combinations?

I Will Carry You/Unchained Melody

If RCA thinks that Clay fans would pick up The Way/Solitaire single simply to get their hands on Solitaire, the fans would do the same for Unchained Melody. Also, I truly believe that I Will Carry You is the best cut on "Measure of a Man." It would appeal to a broad market in radio. But what do I know, eh? As for Unchained Melody, I think that radio stations would give this one a go on their play-lists too.

Measure of a Man/Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Surely releasing a single with the cover song of the album is an appropriate marketing step, not to mention that the song, Measure of a Man, is a one of the best ballads on Clay's album. As for the Elton John's classic, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, it was Clay's performance of this number in the wild-card competition of AI2 that made many people perk up and take notice of him. Even Simon Cowell gave one of his very few public compliments to Clay after Randy and Paula both gave Clay a standing ovation. There is a personal significance of this song for the fans, and they would make this single another platinum - you can bet on it!

Touch/On the Wings of Love

Touch stands out on Clay's album because it seems so different from the rest of the recordings. It is not my favourite, but I am aware that many people do like this number. It has a slightly sassy feel to its beat that I usually do not enjoy in a song, but Clay's melodic voice takes it through to a realm wherein I can find comfort. On the Wings of Love was already recorded by Clay on the "American Idol 2, All-Time Classic American Love Songs" album. Clay's rendition of this song is quite memorable, and this would be the quickest single to make since both sides have been previously recorded, not to mention inexpensive to produce.

Singles Promoting Separate Albums

Suppose the following scenario ensued:
- RCA released all four singles described above at intervals of two months apart starting early in 2004. All four singles would be available for purchase by the public, of course.
- Three or four months after the release of the last single, RCA released Clay Aiken's second album entitled: "Classic Pop: Clay Aiken." On this album would be those four cuts from the "B" side of the four singles, plus 8-10 other classic pop songs.

In essence, RCA would be able to use these singles to promote "Measure of a Man," and the upcoming new album - "Classic Pop." Given the past history of the buying power of Clay fans I believe that one can be fairly certain that all four of these singles would be soon certified gold, and a couple of them would probably shoot up into the platinum range.

What the radio stations would see is that RCA is really serious about this new artist, Clay Aiken. This kind of "hint" from RCA might force reconsideration of prejudices that radio management could be holding. Let us face it, no one releases four singles from one artist in a period of eight months this day and age. Surely people will take notice of this event. But if they don't, at least Clay can go off to receive even more awards next year for having four hit singles.

The real beauty of such a scheme though rests in the fact that with the release of each one of these singles, Clay's first album, "Measure of a Man" would be promoted, and, Clay's upcoming album would be promoted too - please note, I'm just using "Classic Pop" as a working title for this phantom album. Who knows what RCA and Clay have up their sleeves for the next album.

Christmastime is a Time for Dreaming

Now comes the real fun. I have already told Clive Davis at RCA how to promote Clay Aiken in this article. I doubt such arrogance on my part will be well received, but I'd rather look at it as merely a suggestion to RCA to "think outside of the box." As long as thinking outside of the box is not being done in a padded cell, then everything should be ok.

As for the phantom upcoming album of Clay Aiken's that I have titled "Classic Pop," what would be the numbers on it? Well, I have already identified four of them from above:
Solitaire
Unchained Melody
Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
On the Wings of Love

What about the rest? Below is my suggested list:
Dream Lover
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
My Girl
Open Arms
Bridge Over Troubled Water*
Here, There, Everywhere
What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
Crying**
To Love Somebody***
When a Man Loves a Woman***
______
  *Not the cut from Clay's single, but rather, the live performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water from the final program of AI2 competition - it's just much better.
 **I am very reluctant to listen to anyone sing that old Roy Orbison classic, Crying, because I believe Orbison had the best male singing voice in the last half of the 20th century. But I think if anyone can do the song justice, it would be Clay.
***These seem to be very special favourites of Clay fans.

I am certain that Clay fans would have many other suggestions for the contents of the next album. Please send them to RCA. As for all those anti-Clay people, please refrain from sending me more emails asking how much the Claymaniacs paid me to write this article. I received not a penny from them

BEAVERS ON IDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
bisi
UltimateFan

The Eyes have it!

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 08:57:08 AM »

Thanks, I hadn't seen this article before -- How in the world did I ever miss one -- especially by James Shepherd whom I love.  

I like his marketing plan, except I would really like the next album after the Christmas album to have some new songs on it.  I, of course, would run, not walk, to buy ALL of them.   I love all the songs he has listed on his Classic Pop album, but really don't need another Bridge since we already have it.  Would dearly love Unchained Melody, one of my all time favs.

CLAYLOVE IS POWERFUL!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know  peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 10:01:57 AM »

My, my that would be a dream come true to have Clay do the Classic Pop album with all those songs listed.  I for one don't need any new songs I love the older songs when songwriters really knew how to write music.  I would be the first in line to buy that album,  if only wishes came true.

Proud Member of OCD Support Group   :P

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 10:51:26 AM »

Yeah, I missed this article as well.  Great read clayMaine-iac!

Let's see, I'm thinking that whatever Clay does will sell regardless of the songs they chose.  I know I'll be right there waiting for the first sale day.

Personally, I'd like to see the next CD that's not his Christmas CD be a mixture of new cuts and some of the classics that were listed.  New songs to show he can meet the challenge of something new and classics because well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I wonder all the time that when I hear a classic song I think to myself, self, Gosh Clay would really do that song justice!  You know what I mean?

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

karen28
UltimateFan

A "Perfect Day" is every day I listen to Clay!!

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »

I agree, Her, I think of how Clay would sound singing a lot of songs when I hear them. Most of all, it really hit me during Barry Manilow week, that Clay would've sounded fantastic singing ANY of Barry's songs that were on that show!  Though I'm not amused when people (including Barry) joke that Barry is Clay, 30 years from now, I do think that a lot of his music, if updated, would go from being good songs (when Barry sang them), to being Gorgeous Songs, with Clay's beautiful voice and interpretation!! :D

I would certainly buy a single of Clay's with Unchained Melody or Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me!  Great Classic songs, perfect for Clay's voice!

Baby Dust I LOVE AND SUPPORT CLAY ~ FOREVER AND UNCONDITIONALLY!!!  Baby Dust
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 11:22:47 AM »

I'm still a TOUCH lover, so Touch/On The Wings of Love as his next single I believe would go ballistic!!! Wonderful article to read!!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
cai
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 11:58:14 AM »

I'd like to see Touch as a single but I already have On the Wings of Love.  

I do like the idea of RCA releasing a flurry of singles, spaced about every 2-3 months, with on one side, a cut from MOAM or any other album he is promoting, and on the other side an UNRELEASED song.  Then just stand back out of the stampede as his fans rush to the store. I think they would make a mint, keep Clay's fans happy, keep him in the public eye and attract the attention of the music industry by his sales.
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »

Most of all, it really hit me during Barry Manilow week, that Clay would've sounded fantastic singing ANY of Barry's songs that were on that show!

Karen, great minds think alike!  Me too!!!  And I'll bet, we weren't the only ones, including Barry....

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

karen28
UltimateFan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 12:18:22 PM »

Karen, great minds think alike! Me too!!! And I'll bet, we weren't the only ones, including Barry....
Good Point! :D   Neil Sedaka has sure seen a resurgence of fame since Solitaire hit AI2, and now the single!  And, even tho Barry does quite well on his own (has new album out, doing well in sales), JUST IMAGINE IF CLAY WERE TO RECORD A FEW OF HIS SONGS!  Besides the money he'd earn as songwriter, he'd enjoy a higher level of fame again! (oooh, the only song I hope Clay doesn't sing of Barry's is Copa Cabana!  Just can't picture that..........can you?! shock: )

Judy
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 12:58:53 PM »

All these suggestions are really, really great!!!  Is there anyway that Clay or his management, can get these suggestions???  Does anyone know if Clay ever access this 'site'???

Also, does anyone know if there will be a video/CD of the Independant Tour???  Wouldn't that be wonderful??  Even though I saw two concerts,,(heard that one of the Claymanics got to see 29!!!) I just would live to have it permanently!!  I do have some videos saved on my computer but to see it on the TV screen would be awesome.  

I just can't seem to get enough of this guy....not alone, huh??
Oh, I am going to the Wango Tango concert.  All you that live in the South.East.Midwest are SOOOO lucky that you will be seeing Clay all summer.  Have to get busy and get him booked out here next summer.  (I have ideas..just have to start making phone calls.)

Anyway..any help will be accepted.

Judy L
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 03:20:37 PM »

OH, TO HEAR CLAY SING "WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN"!!!  I'D SURELY DIE!

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 03:22:06 PM »

(oooh, the only song I hope Clay doesn't sing of Barry's is Copa Cabana! Just can't picture that..........can you?!  )
 Not really Karen, I couldn't either, but he'd do a great job with it anyhow.  Imagine the dance moves OMC could do with that one.  Whoa, as I wipe up the drool... :oops: (best finish that on BLP!)

Judy, I think Clay's management would be foolish NOT to have either a special on TV or a DVD of it.  They would make tons of moolah!

Judy, if you can't get enough of Clay, visit under Members Corner the OCD Support Group-share your story with all of the other great ones there!  Welcome to Claymaniacs!  Good for you to be able to go to Wango Tango.  I'm anxiously awaiting the confirmed dated in Pensacola....

wordsmith1223
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 09:03:10 PM »

I'm partial to the acoustic set in concert, and his version of "Kyrie," and I read somewhere that Clay's considering putting "Kyrie" on his next album.
I'd love to see "Fields of Gold" and "Carolina On My Mind" on the new album, along with new stuff. I also enjoyed "All About Love."
How 'bout those talked-about duets with either Faith Hill or Martina McBride? That would be fabulous.
Rumor is that Kelly's going to have the duet of "Open Arms" on her new album, and that's terrific news if it's true.
A friend of mine thinks Clay would be great recording the old Three Dog Night song "Easy to be Hard," which is from the musical "Hair." That's not a bad idea.
I'd love him to record a movie song, such as for a Disney soundtrack. I'd also like him to work with Ruben sometime -- I love their "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" and their "Jesus is Love."
Clay did a terrific job on "I Could Not Ask for More" during AI, too. It'd be great if Diane Warren wrote her next hit for him.
I'm going one further on ideas. Instead of Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey hosting a TV variety show, how 'bout Kelly and Clay together each week? I can truly see it after Clay's triumphant "SNL" appearance.
Just a thought for America's sweethearts! I'd be lovin' it!
Can never have too much Clay. I would pay to listen to Clay sing the phone book!
Cheers,
Lynn
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 01:21:07 AM »

Can never have too much Clay. I would pay to listen to Clay sing the phone book!

Me too, Lynn!

ChrisieD
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S CLAYNADIAN GIRL !!!

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 07:36:24 AM »

I would love to see The Touch and Here There And Everywhere for next single release, I feel the two kinda go together !! Think about it  Wink:  Wink: shock:  shock:   :!:
AND, Here There ..... is one of my favorites !! But as stated above, he could sing the phone book and I would buy it ! :D

Baby Dust I Close My Eyes and I Breath You In Baby Dust

UNCONDITIONAL
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 07:59:52 AM »

OMG I can just see Clay singing "When a Man Loves a Woman".  I would be on my knees about than.  I also have been hoping that they would tape his concert and make a special on TV of it.  Want ratings they sure would get it.  I am surprised that Simon hasn't thought of it yet.  But whatever Clay does we will gladly buy all his CD's.  

Proud Member of the OCD Support Group    :P

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 08:20:19 AM »

"When a man loves a woman" is a most beautiful love song and sung by Clay, gives me goosebumps. "Here there and everywhere" is wonderful as well.
i have to agree though, that "Here there and everywhere" and "Touch" would be an electric combination.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
karen28
UltimateFan

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 08:29:13 AM »

What about "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?"  When he sang this at the AI2 Concert, I got goosebumps.  It's perfect for his voice!  I have an MP3 of that performance that I'm wearing out! :D A lot of Elton John's songs would suit his voice, I feel (maybe not Benny&the Jets) Laughing:

karen28
UltimateFan

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 08:38:20 AM »

Wordsmith said:
I'm going one further on ideas. Instead of Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey hosting a TV variety show, how 'bout Kelly and Clay together each week? I can truly see it after Clay's triumphant "SNL" appearance.
ABSOLUTELY!  They seem to interact well, lots of teasing like Sonny and Cher, and are very comfortable together; both are witty and fun. AND TALENTED! (well,especially Clay!)  This is a great idea! Clay to look forward to every week.  Whichever network that got that show would have a goldmine! And I like your other ideas for an album.  Clay must be going crazy trying to decide what to put on there!  I'm not to sure about the Faith Hill and Martina McBride duets, because I don't know much about them (I have heard Faith Hill, and I like some of her crossover music).

CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 10:33:05 AM »

Every song he did from AI 2 was great.  I love Unchained Melody and I absolutely love Jesus is love.  When he did that song with Ruben, it sent chills up my spine.  He held another glory note on that one.  Honestly,
anything he sings, is fantastic.  I have never heard one bad song come out of his mouth.  All of the above suggestions are great ones.  I hope he more input.  I think he said he would.  Kelly might get the duet Open Arms and Kim has the other duet.  Well, I hope someone will do a duet with him for his next CD.  Faith Hill, where are you?  Let's all give her a call.  No, really, can we e-mail her?  

Linda

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx