gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 29  (Read 2433 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: March 29, 2004, 04:51:09 AM »

Clay Aiken’s a never-idle idol  

By Thomas Bond, Tribune

Clay Aiken may have finished as runner-up on the second season of TV talent contest "American Idol," but he’s first in the hearts of fans around the country, and his debut CD, "Measure of a Man," hit No. 1 on the Billboard album charts.

Now Aiken is touring with Kelly Clarkson, the winner of the first edition of "American Idol."

"We’ll be doing interviews and she’ll say, ‘When we won the show’ and I’ll have to remind her, ‘Um, I didn’t win,’ " Aiken says. "She’ll say ‘When I won’ and I’ll say ‘When I lost,’ but it’s a joke for me, I don’t care anymore. It’s not an issue at all, but we joke around about it."

Another nonissue is any supposed rivalry between Aiken and "American Idol" second edition winner Ruben Studdard. Aiken even attended a concert by his former foe recently.

"We really do get along," he says. "I think we play to different markets and he’s doing plenty well in his area of success and I’m doing well in my area. We had to compete with each other for too long, we’re sick of it at this point and we don’t want to do it anymore."

As for Clarkson, he’s more than happy to share the spotlight with her. The pair are co-headlining their tour.

"Every night we alternate who closes the show, but we actually sing a duet at the end," Aiken says. "So, regardless of who closes, the other one comes out at the end of the show."

While he’s gone on to appear on TV shows such as "Saturday Night Live" and "Ed" and even in the comics, making a star turn over several days in "Luann," Aiken still feels unsteady with his new stature as a pop icon.

"Sometimes I wonder if I’m still living out my ‘American Idol’ term and if it’s going to be over soon," the charmingly modest singer says. "I haven’t tried to do a second album and I kind of feel that my first album was because of the ("American Idol") show. A second album and any success there, is not promised to me, so maybe at that point I’ll be like ‘Wow, this has taken on a life of its own.’ "

To that end, he’s already got big plans beyond the current tour.

"We’re trying to do three things at once," Aiken says. "We’re still promoting this album, and we haven’t done anything internationally yet. We’re going to get some stuff together for a Christmas album which we hope to have out this holiday season and, while we’re recording that, we’re going to start looking for songs for the second album."

In the meantime, he still takes time out to watch the third season of "American Idol."

"I found myself getting a little bit addicted. It’s a good show — who knew?" Aiken says, laughing. "Kelly and I made a little friendly wager last night. Neither one of us will dare to guess who’s going to be the winner, but both of us have our predictions for the final two. Kelly’s got her bet with La Toya (London) and Diana DeGarmo, and I think it’s going to be La Toya and Fantasia (Barrino) in the final two and, maybe, Amy Adams as the third-place one."

AZ TRIBUNE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 04:53:24 AM »

Singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka is enjoying a chart revival in the US, thanks to American Idol's Clay Aiken.

Aiken's recording of Sedaka's 1970s song Solitaire has entered the Hot 100 at number four - 20 years since his last chart appearance as a songwriter.

(snip)

Aiken, who was runner-up to Ruben Studdard in American Idol, has enjoyed huge chart success in the US to date.

His song This Is The Night made its debut at number one in June 2003, just ahead of rival Studdard.

And his album shifted more than 600,000 copies in its first week of release.

Sedaka, who was a guest judge on American Idol, said the song Solitaire had become Aiken's own.

BBC NEWS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 04:56:47 AM »

Chuck Taylor of Billboard Radio will have the world premiere of two tracks from Kimberley's debut album, "One Love," due in stores May 4. This is the "Countdown" for the week ending April 3, and it will be posted at http://www.billboardradio.com sometime on March 29.

There is a possibility one of the songs may be 'Without You', currently being performed on the tour with back up singer Quiana Parlor.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 05:01:45 AM »

ATTN CANADIANS...I MEAN CLAYNADIANS!

Invisible is no longer on the Much More Music countdown list.  It has been in the top 5 forever.  Maybe they are preparing to add The Way, but it's not up there yet.  

If you'd like to see The Way on MMM, please send an email to muchmoremail@muchmoremusic.com and request they add it to the countdown!

Thanks!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 05:15:56 AM »

Clay Aiken — high note of show

Kelly Clarkson sings well but without spark
By Scott Iwasaki
Deseret Morning News
      If Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken were competing on "American Idol," Clarkson would have been cut after Friday's performance.
      Not that Clarkson's voice was bad. It wasn't. She sang well. Her set just felt empty. She lacked personality.
      Aiken, on the other hand, was full of charm, and he connected with the audience. In fact, he started his set in the audience.
      Aiken made his entrance at the back of the Nu Skin Theatre in the Delta Center during his version of Mr. Mister's "Kyrie."
      Smartly dressed in an untucked blue shirt, blue neck tie and khaki slacks, Aiken greeted his fans with his boyish smile and slid into "Perfect Day."
      At one point, he grabbed a mobile phone from one of his fans and spoke with her friend in Tampa, Fla.: "I've got a song for you, but the phone is not working."
      With that, he serenaded the audience with "When You Say You Love Me." "Invisible" and "I Survived You" were also sung with heartfelt sincerely.
      Then the band and the three backup singers played an acoustic set, featuring the title track from Aiken's album "Measure of a Man," as well as Sting's hit "Fields of Gold," Leo Sayer's "When I Need You" and James Taylor's "Carolina in My Mind." Another remake, Prince's "When Doves Cry," along with Aiken's trademark single "The Way," wrapped the set.
      Clarkson didn't reach Aiken's energy level. While her voice was strong on songs such as the folk-rock "Low," the rhythm & blues bump of "What's Up Lonely" and the soulful "The Trouble With Love Is" had Clarkson just going through the motions.
      She kept asking if the crowd was having a good time, but she always seemed in a rush to get on with the next song.
      "Just Missed the Train" and Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard from You" were high vocal-energy works and a piano/vocal version of "Beautiful Disaster" sounded great in the mix. But her personality was flat. And her chunky wardrobe, complete with stiletto heels, was a bit much.
      The loudest audience response during Clarkson's set came when Aiken joined her for Journey's "Open Arms."
      New vocal quartet the Beu Sisters opened the show. Accompanied by a lone guitarist, the sisters sang smooth harmonies. Their set included the dreamy "You Make Me Feel Like a Star" "Any Time You Need a Friend" from Disney's "Home on the Range," and the sassy "Stop! Stay Away From My Sister."

DESERET NEWS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 07:34:06 AM »

Feats of Clay

Counting in dollars, Clay Aiken is the biggest star christened by "American Idol," as the show wades into its third season. He's crooning at Arco Arena on Wednesday, touring with Kelly Clarkson, the winner of the first "Idol" season. His debut album, "Measure of a Man," has sold 2.4 million copies since October, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

By Will Evans
 -- Bee Staff Writer

It's three hours to showtime in Chicago and Clay Aiken doesn't know how old he is.  You're 25, right?

"Yes," he says over the phone.

So how's fame so far?

"I think I'm 25 - wait a second. Yes. Twe ... yes. I've forgotten! I don't even know w ... that's how fame is! I don't even know where I am and what day it is and how old I am!"

You're not doing lots of drugs or anything?

(Bursts of laughter) "Um, ha ha, oh my goodness."

And yet, otherwise Aiken seems strikingly composed and professional for a 25-or-so-year-old recent college grad whose life is undergoing emergency pop stardom reconstructive surgery.

Counting in dollars, Aiken is the biggest star christened by "American Idol," as the show wades into its third season. He's crooning at Arco Arena on Wednesday, touring with Kelly Clarkson, the winner of the first "Idol" season.

His debut album, "Measure of a Man," has sold 2.4 million copies since October, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That's more than Clarkson's first effort and that of Ruben Studdard, who beat Aiken for the "Idol" title last year.

Aiken was a student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, passionate about children with disabilities. He was set on a career in special education when he got bopped on the head with the magic wand of "American Idol" mastermind Simon Fuller, who signed Aiken to his management company. With that, he personified the invisible-to-invincible fantasy that enthralled so many fans of the show.

So what's the ambitious career goal of such an insta-star?

"It's really bad - I don't have any," he says.

Before, he had it all planned out. He would teach special education for six or so years, get a master's degree in administration at Virginia's College of William & Mary, and end up as a high school principal at age 50.

"He was definitely, completely sure of himself. ... There was no doubt that was really his direction," says Diane Bubel of Huntersville, N.C.

Aiken worked with Bubel's autistic son, Mike, through a federal program while in college and became close with the family. Last year, he launched the Bubel Aiken Foundation, dedicated to children with developmental disabilities.

When popdom really started popping for Aiken last year, it took a toll on him, Bubel says, recalling his sporadic phone calls from noisy airports, between interviews, during recording breaks.

"Early on, he really had to go through some major changes and maybe some soul-searching to get comfortable with the new path his life took," she says.

It was partly the devil's deal of fame for privacy.

Getting stares everywhere. Feeling unable even to go to the grocery store. Trying to ditch fans in pursuing cars by taking side streets. Using a bodyguard. Wearing a hood in public - and getting made fun of by friends for wearing it.

"The whole situation - it's kind of a whirlwind that I'm still trying to learn to live in," Aiken says.

But Bubel says the toll was also the "drastic change" in his life project. The creation of the foundation was good for him in that it tied him back to his passion, she says.

Aiken says he now sees he can leverage his celebrity to elevate causes important to him. "I have an opportunity - a responsibility, really - to use that platform in a positive way," he says.

Part of his appeal, fans say, is his split devotion: an entertainer who actually cares.

"I think he's a great influence and great role model. He's inspired us to follow our dreams and to never give up on them," says Katie Madison, 18, of El Dorado Hills.

Madison, who has mild cerebral palsy and the genetic disorder Noonan syndrome, says she listens to Aiken's CD every night and is close to memorizing all of the words. Aiken is the only topic of conversation, her mother says. Madison says Aiken gave her more confidence that she can attain her goal to be a preschool teacher for children with special needs.

"I think he can encourage you that you may be different but that doesn't mean that I'm not loved - God loves me, too," she says.

Faith in God, she says, is another connection they have.

"Everything that's happened to me has happened because God wanted me to do it," Aiken says. "And I'm kinda going to live the next few years the same way. What he wants to happen for me will happen for me."

It wasn't divine intervention, but rather Bubel who first tried to persuade Aiken to try out for the show. And he wouldn't hear it.

"He said, 'Yeah right, I'm not really a Justin Timberlake type,' " Bubel remembers. "He just kind of laughed it off."

He figured he'd be laughed off.

Through the process, Aiken's gone from a funny, fun-loving student to a serious, business-like adult, says Wendy Wood, his academic adviser in college. "I think he's grown up a lot since he's left," she says. "He's in a much bigger world now."

It is, perhaps, a harsher world, too - what with fickle tastes, bottom lines and other fine print on the pop star contract.

But his dorky charm already has caused far too many writers to rhyme "geek" with "chic."

"Most artists would give their left ear for Clay Aiken's sales, and every music executive at every label would give a lot more to have Aiken's sales power on their roster," says David Adelson, executive editor of the industry trade magazine HITS. Aiken's also lucky to count on a broader, older demographic than just teens. He has a middle-age crowd with dependable tastes, Adelson says.

But there are pitfalls to finding yourself an end product of some slickly produced process bearing more resemblance to genetic engineering than natural selection. "Now the burden is on him to prove he's more than a prime-time manufactured pop star," Adelson says.

Aiken knows it.

"I have to recognize that I'm a product of the show ... but at the same time, there's a stigma," he says.

Namely, that of "contest winner."

"Or loser - oops!" he corrects himself, perhaps as a joke, perhaps because he, like the rest of America, has forgotten that Studdard, not Aiken, won "American Idol."

The past irrelevant, the future unsound, Aiken's sing-in-the-moment attitude harmonizes with music industry strategy anyway.

Today's project is the tour, today's objective is money from the tour and today's ethos: "Let's milk this one dry and then let's move on to the next one," as Adelson says.

Aiken, who rents a house in Los Angeles with fellow "Idol" finalist Kimberly Locke, simply clings to the structured routine of the tour for some kind of grounding.

"I am kinda going to hopefully enjoy the ride," he says. "The only reason it happened to me was because I was open to new things and new ideas and new opportunities. And I guess the best way to be successful and continue this is to continue to be open."

SAC TICKET (Nice picture at the link!)
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 07:52:21 AM »

GREAT REVIEWS.  OUR GUY IS THE CREAM OF THE CROP.  HOW CAN HE NOT BE.  WITH A FAN BASE SO BIG BEHIND HIM AND THE LOVE AND SUPPORT WE GIVE HIM HE WILL NOT FAIL.  WE WON'T LET HIM.  THANK YOU PAM.

LORRAINE
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx