gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 410
Total: 410

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 23  (Read 5349 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: March 22, 2004, 09:55:32 PM »

CLAY ON TRL AWARDS SHOW

Spears, 50 Cent, Beyoncé, Outkast and Blink-182 scored multiple nominations for the second annual "TRL" Awards, airing live April 13. Outkast, Beyoncé, Missy Elliott, Alicia Keys and Fefe Dobson will perform on the show, which will also feature appearances by 50, Britney, Clay Aiken, Nelly, Hilary Duff, Brad Pitt, the Rock and Lindsay Lohan. Will Ferrell, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, Jack Black and Jim Carrey will vie for the Wet Your Pants Award for the funniest guest. ...

MTV LINK

And from Variety, RHT posted Clay's nominations:

Best Male Artist Award
Eminem
50 Cent
Clay Aiken
Andre 3000

Gridlock Award (Star Who Drew The Biggest Crowd)
Clay Aiken
Britney Spears
Cast Of One Tree Hill
Justin Timberlake

CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!!!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 09:59:08 PM »

NEIL SEDAKA CHAT POSTED AT RHT.COM

LINK
mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »

ha that chat is great!

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 04:15:29 AM »

Humility and charisma distinguish 'Idol' Aiken

By Joshua Klein
Special to the Tribune

"American Idol" judge Simon Cowell has a seemingly endless supply of snarky quips and wry putdowns, but there's one dismissal that crops up in his critiques more often than others. "You've got talent," he generally begins, before dropping the ax. "But we're looking for a star."

Yet if there's one thing the talent show "American Idol" has evinced it's that stardom isn't quite as simple as braving the ire of hack judges and winning a call-in contest. It takes personality, and that's something that can't be bestowed like a crown or champion belt. The U.S. version of the British show is well into it's third season and has only produced one real star: Clay Aiken—and he was the second season runner-up who survived an early dismissal by winning a wild-card round.

Surely those behind the "American Idol" franchise recognize Aiken's underdog appeal, which is why they've sent him out on the road with fading season one winner Kelly Clarkson, who clearly has more to gain from the joint outing. The two have been swapping the headliner slot, and at a mostly filled United Center on Monday night it was Aiken's turn to start the evening.

Throughout his rapid ascent from geeky nobody to something akin to a real pop idol, Aiken has retained his aw-shucks demeanor and good attitude, reacting to his fluke fame with just the right degree of humility. Aiken was confident but still endearingly awkward, just what you would expect from someone talented enough to make the most of a lucky break.

Opening with Mister Mister's "Kyrie," which Aiken began while emerging dramatically from the back of the arena, Aiken breezed through the middle of the road material from his hit record "Measure of a Man," but it was the details and asides that set his performance apart from many of his "Idol" peers.

For starters, Aiken acknowledged his clunky Chicago debut, during the last "American Idol" tour, which was rife with technical problems and long delays. He laughed whenever he frequently flubbed what few rudimentary dance moves he attempted, and even made light of forgetting the lyrics to a few songs. "You know I'm not lip-syncing when I don't know the words," he said in the middle of a brief acoustic set, which found him covering James Taylor's "Carolina in my Mind" and Sting's "Fields of Gold."

Aiken was less comfortable with Prince's "When Doves Cry" than he was performing his own custom made "Perfect Day" or "Invisible," but he was rarely less than charming. He even survived a right of passage endured by all (male) pop idols: ducking teddy bears one second and underwear the next.

Clarkson performed to a noticeably deflated arena, about what one might expect given the overwhelming number of Aiken fans. Clarkson has a powerful set of pipes, but she lacks Aiken's personality, and her songs felt numb with anonymity.

Her singing was shrill and frantic, frequently overshadowed by the background vocalists, and she seems to have taken all the wrong advice from those more interested in demographics than songcraft. The only thing that unified songs like the piano ballad "Beautiful Disaster," the bombastic "A Moment Like This," the streetwise "Bounce," and Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard From You" was a distracting dedication to oversinging. "Is anyone else tired?" she said, panting, after trying to out-Christina Christina with the Aguilera-penned "Miss Independent."

It was a relief, then, when Aiken returned, duetting with Clarkson on Journey's "Open Arms." Suddenly the crowd was energized, and Clarkson kept in check. Aiken, of course, looked as low-key as usual. Stardom may take a lot of work, but real stars make it look easy.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

::throws panty bouquet to Joshua::  Wink:
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 04:21:40 AM »

This was posted at RHT.com.

This is a response received from a submitted question to Neil Sedaka's website:

Dear Marla,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Hope you have been enjoying Clay's incredible "Solitaire." If you can, let everyone on the fan boards know to expect the announcement on Wednesday that Clay's single reached #1 on the Charts. It will be a great honor for the songwriters, and a well deserved recognition of Clay's amazing recording.

Sincerely,

Sarah
Neil Sedaka Music  

:D
houstonclayfan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:26:00 AM »

Quote from: Pamela
If you can, let everyone on the fan boards know to expect the announcement on Wednesday that Clay's single reached #1 on the Charts.

Woohoo !!!!!!      8)     And people out there still think that he wont be around a long time !   :roll:
clayfannj
UltimateFan

Remember, CHEESE is a comfort food.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 04:45:07 AM »

Oh... Isn't that just so wonderful...

It's NEVER ENOUGH!!!

Honorary Southern Belle

OBSESSIVE BIRD WATCHER

Tracking the Red -Crested Warbler
"I may be old, but I'm strong and lusty!"..Wm. Shakespeare
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 05:09:56 AM »

CAN I SAY THAT I AM NO5T SURPRISED?  I AM JUST CURIOUS AS TO HOW MANY WERE SOLD.  CONGRATS TO CLAY.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
Clayton Clayniac
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 06:11:50 AM »

From the chat transcript:

Neil Sedaka:  "I watched Clay perform Wednesday. I held up my own concert in Arizona to view it. My son Marc was in the studio in LA. Clay's voice is an instrument of great beauty. His technique is perfection. His intonation and pitch are phenomenal and flawless. The emotion that he gives out reaches millions and makes them weep. Me included."

From The Man himself - Enough said!
Clayton Clayniac
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 06:17:09 AM »

And from the Chicago Tribune's writeup of Monday night's concert praising Clay:

Stardom may take a lot of work, but real stars make it look easy.
shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 06:36:36 AM »

Neil Sadakas critque is so right on it makes you cry!  :D

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!
ChrisieD
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S CLAYNADIAN GIRL !!!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 06:43:11 AM »

Thanks for all the articles Pam. You amaze me with all your findings ! The one from Joshua is one of the best yet. It shows what a great person Clay really is.
And way to go everyone-Solitaire #1 :D  :D

Baby Dust I Close My Eyes and I Breath You In Baby Dust

UNCONDITIONAL
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 06:50:42 AM »

I am so happy.  Congratulations to our amazing Clay.  I can't wait for the announcement and the sales totals.  Go Clay!!!!!

Lorraine
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 06:57:56 AM »

second annual "TRL" Awards, airing live April 13. ...which will also feature appearances by 50, Britney, Clay Aiken,  ...

Isn't Clay in concert in Denver on the 13th? Maybe his appearance will be a satellite feed of him "Live in Concert"....or did I write the concert dates down wrong?

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
karen28
UltimateFan

A "Perfect Day" is every day I listen to Clay!!

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 07:30:50 AM »

Moonshot, I was wondering the same thing!  Since the TRL thing is a live show, and so is a concert (!), I bet they will do the satellite thing.  We'll see! :)

Baby Dust I LOVE AND SUPPORT CLAY ~ FOREVER AND UNCONDITIONALLY!!!  Baby Dust
houstonclayfan
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 07:42:09 AM »

Quote from: Moonshot
second annual "TRL" Awards, airing live April 13. ...which will also feature appearances by 50, Britney, Clay Aiken,  ...

Isn't Clay in concert in Denver on the 13th? Maybe his appearance will be a satellite feed of him "Live in Concert"....or did I write the concert dates down wrong?

You are a quick thicker, Moonshot  Wink:   Happy to see you posting - I have missed you !  If you go to the original article, it says "live and taped performances by......"
dudley5
Enthusiastic

CLAYS RAY OF SUNSHINE And OFFICIAL BODYGUARD

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 07:52:27 AM »

#1 on the charts - YEA - does anyone know if it has gone Platinum yet?? :)
CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 07:53:44 AM »

I must find that Clay Dictionary because my words alone cannot express how proud I feel!  HE IS THE BOMB!

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2004, 07:56:03 AM »

Quote from: houstonclayfan
If you go to the original article, it says "live and taped performances by......"

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing it up for me.  :)

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 08:52:02 AM »

Clay Aiken - Farewell to American Idol

Antony A Jones
aajones@elitestv.com

It was mid-afternoon, sitting in my car, when I unwrapped the newly purchased copy of the CD – which as usual, frustrated the heck out of me, struggling as always with the ridiculous amounts of “security” tape and wrapping which my short finger nails could not overcome. The compact-disc was “The Way/Solitaire”, which by all accounts would define the success of Clay Aiken.

On the recent American Idol results show (Wednesday 17th March) Clay introduced us to the much awaited commercial release of “Solitaire”, a flip-side to “The Way” (to be more precise, “Track 2” of his new single.) “The Way” is on the album and is a sure-fire hit with anyone in love. Clay’s edited version of “Solitaire” which he sang on the show (the CD version is almost five minutes long) was met with the usual rapturous applause he had become accustomed to on the American Idol set. Only this time it was different. This time he was not fighting to move to the next round of a competition; this time he didn’t need to impress the judges.

From the moment Clay walked on stage, it was obvious that what we were seeing was not the geeky kid from North Carolina or the self-effacing contestant who had high-hopes of at least reaching the final. What we saw walk on that stage, that night, was Clay the “artist”. His presence evoked screams and shouts of adornment from the audience, and I suspect from viewers at home. Looking very stylish and “chic” in his designer suit and turtle-neck, Clay was every part the professional performer. To prove he didn’t just look the part, Clay sang with that uniqueness and distinctiveness which had captivated a nation and won the hearts of thousands. The excellent performance was, well, just that! A performance which the season three contestants sitting nearby should watch again and again, this time taking notes; maturity, vocals, presentation, style, camera and stage presence. Hitting the glory note towards the end of the song even sent chills down my spine, and I don’t get “chilled” often.

We did not witness any interaction between Clay and the judges. By design I wondered? I initially thought it would have been interesting to hear what they had to say now! But at the same time I wholeheartedly felt it was appropriate. Clay Aiken no longer needs acceptance or words from the judges. He proved and has proved to everyone over this last year, that he has left the critic-inspired tag of American Idol Runner-Up well behind him. Clay Aiken is now far beyond American Idol. I no longer think “American Idol” when I think of Clay Aiken; I think recording artist and star. I think of a young man who has spent the last year honing his skill and technique; who now not only appears as, but has become, a true artist and performer. His roots will remain in the franchise and he should always remain grateful to the show; however, gratitude in this case is a two-way street. American Idol didn’t only make Clay a star, Clay had a hand in making American Idol the biggest show on TV.

Listening to his new CD while driving home (after finally removing the wrapping) I was struck with the feeling that, finally, Clay Aiken had arrived. My only criticism is that the mixing and percussion on “Solitaire” was pretty poor. There seemed to be an annoying “tapping” half-way through which was, I believe, percussion; not the best arrangement, but at least the CD should do fabulously well. Overall, Clay has again nailed it down; hopefully his critics will finally agree. His performance on the results show was a fitting rebuttal to those who had doubted his ability to make it in the “big wide-world of popular music” after the finals of AI2. He has drawn sold-out crowds. Has a successful tour with Kelly Clarkson. He’s wowed televisions audiences on numerous TV shows.. Sold 2.4 million albums, and he continues to grow as a person and an artist. This double-hit CD encapsulates the very essence of the man. The voice, the passion, and the promise of things to come. I think the unspoken question has been answered fully and without any doubt or contradiction. Clay Aiken is here to stay – Farewell to American Idol.

ELITES TV
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx