gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 274
Total: 274

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 22  (Read 4431 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: March 21, 2004, 09:20:47 PM »

Clay Aiken trying hard to succeed

Thursday, March 18, 2004
By Alan Sculley
Correspondent

For a few select performers, "American Idol" has become a dream vehicle through which to enter the music business.
But the fact is, success on "American Idol" doesn't guarantee popular contestants a place in mainstream music once they finish their run on the show. Just consider Justin Guarini, who has quickly faded from the public eye since finishing second to Kelly Clarkson in the inaugural 2002 season of the hit show.

Clay Aiken, who finished second to Ruben Studdard in 2003, went into the making of his debut CD, "Measure of a Man," knowing he needed to bring more to the table musically than he showed on "American Idol."

"I think that with 'American Idol,' you perform a lot of classic standards stuff, and a lot of times people come out of there wondering, 'Will this person have the ability to compete in a mainstream market?'" Aiken said.

"I think that's what we were really trying to show with the album. Yeah, I sang 'Build Me Up Buttercup' and 'Solitaire' and 'Mack The Knife' on that show, but that's not all I can do."

Whether fans see the songs on Aiken's debut CD, "Measure Of A Man," as adding a new dimension to the musical personality he established on "American Idol" may be open to debate. But there's no arguing with the popularity Aiken continues to enjoy.

"Measure of a Man" debuted last fall with first-week sales of 613,000. The record spent two weeks at the top of the Billboard album chart, has now topped 2 million in sales, while its lead single, "Invisible," is still in the top 10 on the adult contemporary chart.

Now Aiken's on an arena tour with Clarkson — which includes a Monday night stop at the United Center in Chicago — meaning Aiken will be in the spotlight through spring as sales of "Measure of a Man" continue to build.

It's all an amazing series of events for someone like Aiken, who never saw singing as anything other than a hobby.

"I was going to be a teacher," Aiken said. "That's what was my goal in life, to teach and to do that. I had my life planned out until I was 50 years old. I was going to be a teacher and maybe a principal at some point

"Music was not in my 5-, 10-, 20-year plan. And so I would have never auditioned had it not been for someone who convinced me to do it."

That someone was a family friend, Diane Bubel, who had heard Aiken sing and persuaded the 25-year-old native of Raleigh, N.C., to try out for "American Idol."

Ironically, Aiken failed in his first audition for the Fox network affiliate in Charlotte. But Bubel persuaded him to travel to Atlanta, where national auditions were held. He made the show and emerged alongside Studdard as a leading contender to win "American Idol."

In the season finale, viewers voted Studdard the winner by a margin of less than 1 percent. But Aiken's showing was easily strong enough to earn him his deal with RCA Records.

Teaching went on hold, and singing became the priority as Aiken went to work on "Measure of a Man" with the help of label president and music industry legend Clive Davis and an impressive cast of songwriter/producers that included Desmond Child, Clif Magness (who was a major contributor to Avril Lavigne's debut CD), Rick Nowels (known for his work with Cher) and Steve Morales (familiar to many for his work with Christina Aguilera).

Despite the considerable involvement of such heavyweight outside talent, Aiken said he retained a good deal of control over the material that makes up "Measure of a Man."

"I went in with standards that said I don't want to do this, I don't want to do that and I'm OK with doing this," Aiken said. "So they played me like 15, 16, 20 songs. I said 'I don't like this one. I don't like this one. I do like this one. This is the kind of sound I like. This is what I'm interested in doing.' And we all bought into the same type of vision that I have."

Trying to describe exactly the kind of artist Aiken wants to be, though, is an elusive topic. Between his "American Idol" performances and the songs on "Measure of a Man," he has sung a variety of material, from classic pre-Beatles pop to adult contemporary fare.

Aiken enjoys the fact that he has been hard to pin down stylistically.

"I think that's part of the reason we've had so much success with our album and what we've been doing, because we don't necessarily fit into one of the prefabricated niches that record companies have put out," Aiken said.

"What's amazing about the show I was on, and the way that I came around is because I came around by allowing the public to pick from day one," he said. "And I think there's no need to put me in one of those niches, (to say) 'This is where he belongs.' It doesn't matter where he belongs. People like what he does and he doesn't have to fit into that.

"So maybe this radio station does play me, but the public will decide how long they like me, and when they stop liking me, they'll stop buying."

Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken

When: 7 p.m. Monday
Where: United Center, 1901 W. Madison St., Chicago
Tickets: $35 and $45
Information: Call (312) 559-1212 or visit www.ticketmaster.com

DAILY SOUTHTOWN
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 09:23:28 PM »

CLAY ON CHICAGO RADIO

07:00 am CST - Radio Interview w/Drex at 103.5 FM in Chicago

-This station streams live audio on the Net, so you can listen to the interview from anywhere! Hit the link to find out how.

KISS 103.5
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 09:24:31 PM »

The March 22 issue of People magazine features an article about Clay and Kelly on tour. Martha Stewart is on the cover, and pictures are in the Photo Album thread!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 09:26:37 PM »

107.5 WKZL-FM in Winston Salem

Their website features some pictures from the concert -- mostly crowd shots, a few pictures of Kelly.  Evidently the guy's camera stopped working after Kelly's set.  

JJ ON KZL
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 09:29:13 PM »

A FAN REVIEW OF CLAY ON AMERICAN IDOL

Clay's Triumphant Return

by Susan Walker (2004/03/21)

Hollywood Boulevard in the middle of the night is not exactly where you would imagine finding a group of all-aged women camping out. Why, you ask? Could it be to ensure a place at the beginning of the line for an American Idol show? This, however, is not just any show. To the fans of Clay Aiken, this is our journey to see his triumphant return to the stage where it all began over a year ago.

As the hours of waiting wiled away, the devoted group of fans (sometimes referred to as “Claymates”), sang, made Clay signs and socialized. One sign in particular summed up our collective feelings: “Idol Found, Game Over." Our first reward for enduring the hard concrete and wandering vagrants, was what we call a “Clay sighting.” Mid-morning a white SUV began inching toward us.  As it came closer, someone spotted the umistakable spiked hair. Sure enough – our idol cruised by waving and smiling as he turned into the CBS studios. Whew! We cheered and hugged and languished in our good fortune.

After what seemed like an eternity, we were finally taken into a “holding area” where we mixed with the current contestants’ families and some of the current 32 “rejects” who were happily signing autographs and posing for pictures. Once inside the American Idol studio, I was struck – and struck hard – by the realization that this was the sacred ground where Clay Aiken had begun his journey. It seemed surreal to me looking at the stage with the familiar American Idol marquee behind it, the pale green couches where many a Wednesday night we watched Clay fold into someone’s arms when he was proclaimed to be “safe” for another week.  As I sat there, my mind reeling, I began to picture him on that stage singing Unchained Melody or Solitaire to me. This is after all where my love affair with Clay Aiken had really begun – mine and many, many others.

After we were instructed on the "do's and don’ts" of the show – being told to cheer for the new contestants when they did their group number because they’d only been practicing since that morning – the announcer began the countdown to the show’s beginning.  Then, as if they were the returning champions and the stars of the show, Simon, Randy and Paula entered one-by-one from a side entrance. With outstretched hands, each of them walked though the audience, reaching out to anxious fans. I, being on an aisle seat close to the stage, firmly planted my hands in my pockets. At that moment I reflected on Clay Aiken making his dramatic entrance from the back of the 20,000 seat arenas and stadiums where he is now performing all over the country, his voice soaring on a searing rendition of “Kyrie Eleison” to thunderous shrieks and screams. With his outstretched hands, people stand on their chairs, falling over each other just to get a look or gentle touch from this magnificent human being. Now that’s the kind of magic I want to be a part of.

We who were there to see our idol impatiently waited through the show’s first half hour. Entertaining – yes, but  the clock ticked clicked slowly. Then it was time… Ryan announced  there was a special guest. Our hearts beat faster, our adrenalin started to kick in. And then – there he was – Clay Aiken – standing before us. Thud, thud, thud. Clad in a black designer suit with matching turtle neck, Clay Aiken, with grace and confidence, slowly strutted toward the microphone. The electricity in the air was palpable. Everyone was on their feet as a collective gasp and shrieks pierced the room – everyone that is except Simon, Randy and Paula. None of them stood up nor did they even appear to clap for his arrival. Whatever…

When Clay began to sing Solitaire – his tone, power, and emotional connection to those poignant lyrics – well, it was straight from paradise. I have seen Clay live several times before, but that moment – that glory note – on that American Idol stage was beyond description. Like everyone around me, we were all reduced to breathless gasps and tears. His performance was not only earth-shattering but it was made even sweeter because of where he was. It was HIS moment – and ours. We rejoiced in his glory and cried with  joy for him and his success. And he knew it. He owned that stage. He was the only true star there – so far beyond American Idol – so far above any derogatory comments from those judges – the moment was his and his alone. He had returned a champion and it was what many of us had longed for since that fateful day on May 21, 2003 .

As he finished, the audience was on its feet cheering, crying, shaking – completely awestruck. In my semi-trance, I somehow managed to notice Simon, Randy and Paula who remained stone cold, unmoved, and non-responsive. No sign of recognition – no kind words – nothing. During his singing I had even noticed that they were blithely talking among themselves as if disinterested and oblivious. I found it incredulous that those three judges had absolutely no interaction with Clay either before, during or after his performance as the previous week they had each praised (scripted praise but praise nonetheless) Ruben for this performance.  It occurred to me that we Claymates needed and wanted some kind of recognition from them for Clay’s success – but it was also obvious that Clay needed nothing from them anymore. He walked right past them.

After Clay sang and had a brief interview with the current contestants, then the show went to commercial break. While the TV viewers didn’t see this, at the break Clay went to leave the stage, then turned around and headed back to where the current contestants were sitting. One by one, he shook each of their hands, hugged them and had brief conversations with several of them. As he was about to leave, he – and we – noticed some things being thrown on the stage for him – a teddy bear and some female panties. Spotting them, Clay picked up a pink, lacy thong. Heading straight toward Simon and standing directly in front of him, Clay flung the thongs in his face. Simon, completely caught off guard, sat there dumbstruck. Laughing, Randy proceeded to put the thongs on Simon’s head. Clay, with a smile on his face, turned on his heels, waved to the crowd, and disappeared. That, my friends, was the crowning glory – excuse the pun. While it was meant in the spirit of fun, it felt to me like a vindication both for Clay and his Claymates.

Clay Aiken owned that moment and he owned the stage that night.  The judges knew it, the fans knew it, and Clay Aiken knew it.   He was bigger than anyone there – a true star and winner. For me it was the final closing in a chapter in an ongoing, and at times, bitter saga.   But finally it didn’t matter – not to Clay nor to us.    He was the returning warrior and the brightest star in that auditorium – a champion – and no one can stop that man with that immense talent, gigantic charisma and the infectious joy he exudes. American Idol is, after all, only a singing contest. It got Clay Aiken where he wanted to go – and now he can leave it behind him – and tonight that is exactly what he did. And whatever is in store for his future, you can bet we Claymates will be right there beside him cheering him on as we have done since the minute he first opened his mouth to sing on that stage a year ago.

Thank you, Clay Aiken.  You are our hero.

BEAVERS ON IDOL
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 09:32:25 PM »

"Clay's a nice guy with a cause"

The singer uses his role model status to promote a program for disabled kids.

by Jan DeKnock

What a difference a week makes.

Last Wednesday, the big concert draw at the Omaha Arena was Britney Spears, a flash-and-trash performer with an exceptional ability to generate controversy, on stage and off.

Wednesday's star attraction is Clay Aiken, a substance-over-style singer who carefully guards the nice-guy image he developed during last year's "American Idol" TV talent competition. Aiken, 25, narrowly lost to Ruben Studdard but did win intensely loyal fans. Those "Claymates" turned his "This is the Night" single into the top-selling song of 2003 and generated big numbers for his first CD, "Measure of a Man."

Some entertainers balk at being a role model. Not Aiken.

"I think that's a responsibility if you want this job," he said last week during a quick phone interview from Detroit's Joe Louis Arena. Aiken was in the midst of a sound check for that night's stop on his "Independent" tour, which he is co-headlining with 2002 "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson.

"But not only do I have a responsibility to produce good music, but I'm in the public eye," he said. "I have kids watching me, and I have parents who are deciding whether they're going to let their kids watch me. And I'm in a position now where I can actually bring attention to things that are important."

Aiken's top priorities include his efforts on behalf of people with disabilities. Before "Idol" turned him into a celebrity, he was a student at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, majoring in special education.

As part of his studies, he began working with an autistic youth whose mother, Diane Bubel, heard him singing - he had starred in high school musicals and sung at weddings, but never seriously pursued a muscial career - and urged him to try out fo the Fox TV show.

Even before his first record was released, he helped launch the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, whose mission is to help disabled young people. This month, Aiken met in Washington, D.C. with Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa and other members of Congress to promote the foundation's "Able to Serve" awards.

"A lot of times you think about the disabled population as a population to be served,", he said. "But just because they have a disability doesn't mean they can't volunteer or serve others. So this award, what we're doing with Senator Harkin, is trying to bring attention to that."

Would the civically minded Aiken ever consider a career in politics himself?

"Ooooh. I don't know about politics,", he said, surprised at the suggestion. "I'm really interested in trying to make a difference however I can.  I think that entertainers are just like politicians in that they are public servants. They are giving something to the public in the form of entertainment, and at the same time they have a responsibility, in my opinion, to give something to society because celebrities - musicians, pop artists, movie stars and all - are usually what defines society's style and image".

Speaking of style and image, Aiken's wish to present a squeaky-clean persona hasn't prevented him from having a bit of fun on stage. His concert repertoire includes the Prince song "When Doves Cry," a sexy groove that first steamed up dance floors in the '80's.

So what the heck was he thinking when he chose it?

"I swear, I just picked that song because it was fast and I thought I could have fun with it," said Aiken, who felt his show needed variety beyond the pop songs of "MOAM."

And did anyone suggest that "Doves" was not exactly a perfect fit with his image?

My security guy, when he found out I was doing it, he was like, 'Uhhhhh, you're doing Prince?' " Aiken said, imitating the guard's deep voice and then puntuating his delivery with a quick laugh.
"And I said, 'Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot.'

"I mean, I don't try to go out on stage and pretend that I'm Prince or that I'm a sex symbol or that I can dance or anything," he said, "so we do it a bit little tongue-in-cheek. But it's done to be fun and to be entertaining, and I think that's the way it comes off."

Nonetheless, Aiken's next recording project won't see him straying into Britney-style smut. After his tour wraps up next month, he'll be back into the studio - to make a Christmas album.*

"We hope to have it out this year," he said. "That's the goal."

FROM OMAHA WORLD HERALD - March 21, 2004. No link available.
*YAY!
Thanks to trish for bringing this article!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 09:36:17 PM »

CLAY ARTICLE FROM BEAUTIFUL GIRL MAGAZINE

NAME>> Clay Aiken

HOW YOU KNOW HIM >> He was your favorite runner up on the second season of Fox's "American Idol."

WHY HE'S HOT>> Everywhere he goes, he carries his light of God along his journey in mainstream music. Not only do we melt at his sweet Southern accent from Raleigh, NC..and admire him for his selfless charity work with the Bubel Aiken Foundation, but we love him even more for the fact that he was bold enough to wear his WWJD bracelet, a present from a former student of his, on the cover July 2003's Rolling Stone Magazine. " I grew up a Southern Baptist with the hell-fire-brimstone preacher, but I don't think that's the best way to minister to people," he told us. "I think the best way to do it is to do it though actions. Show God's love through your actions so that people follow you that way." Clay takes his position as a new idol to America seriously. "Every single person who is a celebrity, whether they want it or not, is going to be watched by millions of people. They have a choice to make. They can either make the choice to set a good example or make the choice to not care what other people think about them. I don't necessarily care what other people think about me, but I do make the choice to set a positive example all the time. I think the thing that would hurt me most is if I heard a parent wouldn't let their kid listen to my stuff because they didn't think I was a good example." Because this is a strong motivation in his career choices, Clay will be incorporating some music onto his next album that will be more God-oriented. "I love to listen to people in the car like Avalon and Steven Curtis Chapman, but I don't necessarily think that a strictly Christian album ministers to the unchurched. I like what Ruben did on his album, and what Stacie Orrico has done. She has gone and gotten a very strong secular base and then she puts out an album that has both kinds of music. She is able to minister to the unchurched population. There are some songs I've already looked at and even told RCA that I want to have on the next album that would be more religious."

MOMMA'S BOY>> Not only does Clay think it's cool as a mainstream to love God, Clay thinks it's just as cool to love his "momma." "I think she is one of the strongest people I know. She has gone through so many trials in her life. Thoughout that, she really has been the spiritual leader in our family and kept our family focused on God and positive stuff. She is without a doubt one of my biggest role models.

HIS SECOND LOVE>> Clay has a thing for brunettes who can give him sweet puppy dog eyes...literally. "Right now I'm dating my dog, Raleigh. I'm too busy to date anyone else."

IN HIS WORDS>> "There have been more trials recently than in my past life. I've had to fully rely on God now more than I have in the past. In the past, I would make decisions more hastily and not have a problem with it, but now I take time to pray about it and really think about it and try to see exactly what's best for me, what God would want me to do, what my family would want me to do. It's hard to know who to trust in L.A. God is one person you can always trust."

No link available for article at this time.  Check the link below for future reference to article.

BEAUTIFUL GIRL
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 09:42:43 PM »

The Way/Solitaire is #2 at amazon.com!

MoaM is #16 at amazon.com!

AMAZON.COM
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 09:44:57 PM »

Current Listing of Summer Solo Appearances

Here’s what we have so far:

Aug 6 7:00 pm Bethlehem, PA
MUSIKFEST

Aug 11 7:00 pm Columbus, OH
OHIO STATE FAIR

Aug 14 8:00 pm Clio, MI
CLIO AREA AMPHITHEATER

Aug 16 7:00 pm Indianapolis, IN
INDIANA STATE FAIR
songbird457
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 09:53:59 PM »

Pamela,

If you click on the Clio site, it states the concert time is 8:00. Not sure if it's 7 or 8 since I have seen both.  :? Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Not that it matters - we are all just eagerly waiting for when those tickets go on sale!  shock:
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 09:55:54 PM »

Quote from: songbird457
Pamela,

If you click on the Clio site, it states the concert time is 8:00. Not sure if it's 7 or 8 since I have seen both.  :? Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Not that it matters - we are all just eagerly waiting for when those tickets go on sale!  shock:

Thank you Renee!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »

BILLBOARD CHART BEAT BONUS  

Edited by Barry A. Jeckell. March 19, 2004, 12:30 PM

LOCKEING UP THE CHART: Until this week, the singles from the "American Idol" franchise that have topped Billboard's Hot 100 Singles Sales chart have all been songs performed on the show, which then had the advantage of being exposed to anywhere from 20 million to 40 million viewers. That includes "A Moment Like This" by Kelly Clarkson, "God Bless the U.S.A." by the second-season American Idol Finalists and "This Is the Night" by Clay Aiken.

That pattern is broken this week, as second-season finalist Kimberley Locke enters the sales tally at No. 1 with her debut single, "8th World Wonder." Locke signed with Curb and recorded "Wonder" after the second season of "Idol" was completed.

"8th World Wonder" has enough airplay on mainstream top 40 radio stations that, combined with sales, is enough to debut at No. 78 on the main Hot 100.

That means the top three finalists from the second season of "Idol" are all on the Hot 100 at the same time. Ruben Studdard's "Sorry 2004" slips 11-13 after peaking at No. 9 and Clay Aiken's "Invisible" falls 90-92 after reaching No. 37.

Locke's reign will likely end next week as Aiken's new single, "The Way" (RCA) is expected to enter the Hot 100 Singles Sales chart at No. 1. Fueling sales of "The Way" is the previously unavailable B-side, Aiken's version of the Neil Sedaka/Phil Cody song "Solitaire," a 1975 hit for the Carpenters. That should make for interesting talk around the breakfast table at the home Aiken and Locke share in Los Angeles.

BILLBOARD
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 02:10:10 AM »

Thanks for all the info and articles, Pamela.

WooHoo!!! Christmas CD--can hardly wait!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 04:52:51 AM »

CHICAGO TRIBUNE CONCERT PREVIEW

CLAY AIKEN
Now that "American Idol" has made household names out of photogenic, one dimensional tissue talents like Clay Aiken, the show's creators have to ensure that its newly hatched celebs eventually become stars-even though there's only a comparatively tiny market for interpretative singers. Well, thanks to instant heavy rotation, platinum shipping and other deep pocket marketing maneuvers, the derivative pop treacle of Aiken's debut CD, "Measure of a Man" (RCA) is now oozing like vapid tree sap from a radio near you. Kelly Clarkson also performs.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE (registration required)

Wow. Nasty!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 04:55:30 AM »

Nice guy Clay Aiken wins first place in fans' hearts

March 22, 2004
BY JAE-HA KIM Staff Reporter

Let's face it. We're not a society that recognizes No. 2 -- except when it comes to Clay Aiken.

The runner up in last year's "American Idol" contest has proved to be the little Southern boy who could. His debut album, "Measure of a Man," easily outsold first-place winner Ruben Studdard's effort. And Aiken's the one headlining a tour with Kelly Clarkson, the first "American Idol" winner.

Quick -- who was Clarkson's runner-up? Exactly.

"Everyone would like to believe Ruben and Kelly and I hate each other, but that's not the case," says Aiken, phoning from Columbus, Ohio. "We're very different people, which is why we do get along. We also all went through that trial by fire with the show and that's a pretty unique experience. There's plenty of room for everyone."

Well, not everyone. Aiken may be one of the nicest guys in pop music, but he can get territorial when he needs to be.

"Fantasia [Barrino] who came out of that first group is amazing," says Aiken. "But she's from North Carolina, too, so I told her she can't do better than third place. I can't have her beating me. I want to be the most popular one from North Carolina."

Laughing, he adds, "I'm kidding. But she did stand out. There are some [contestants] who are so bad that my jaw just dropped. I'm hoping that the talent pool dries up. I don't need the competition."

It's a difficult concept for Aiken to grasp that less than two years ago, no one knew who he was. Now, his publicists are setting up so many interviews for him that each is limited to just 10 minutes. That's in the same league as Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears and the boys in 'N Sync.

Speaking of 'N Sync, J.C. Chasez was quoted recently saying that while he liked Aiken, he was tired of all the media attention Aiken was receiving. When this bit of gossip is relayed to Aiken, the singer doesn't let on if the comment irks him.

"I can't blame him," he says. "Those guys worked for years touring and recording before they got famous. Then I come out of nowhere and I'm everywhere. I would be tired of me, too, if I wasn't me and saw as much of me as everyone else. I've been very blessed to have gotten so much publicity from the show for having done such a little amount of work comparatively. All [of us contestants] are."

While Clarkson is spending her off hours modeling for Candies shoes, Aiken swears a fashion line is most likely not in his future. But given the right opportunity, he'd like to give acting a shot.

"I want to be careful," he says. "I don't want to take a movie role just for the sake of doing a movie. I would really want to pick the right role. It's that important to me."

Perhaps he's learned a thing or two from Clarkson's rushed acting debut in the insta-flop "From Justin to Kelly."

But for now, Aiken is concentrating on the tour and supporting the current crop of "American Idol" candidates, including Chicago's Jennifer Hudson.

"Jennifer actually is my pick to win this year," he says. "She's got a wonderful personality, this great presence and a killer voice. I think she's going to go all the way."

CHICAGO SUN TIMES
PHILLYLUVSCLAY
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 06:47:15 AM »

Quote from: Pamela
CLAY ARTICLE FROM BEAUTIFUL GIRL MAGAZINE

NAME>> Clay Aiken

HOW YOU KNOW HIM >> He was your favorite runner up on the second season of Fox's "American Idol."

WHY HE'S HOT>> Everywhere he goes, he carries his light of God along his journey in mainstream music. Not only do we melt at his sweet Southern accent from Raleigh, NC..and admire him for his selfless charity work with the Bubel Aiken Foundation, but we love him even more for the fact that he was bold enough to wear his WWJD bracelet, a present from a former student of his, on the cover July 2003's Rolling Stone Magazine. " I grew up a Southern Baptist with the hell-fire-brimstone preacher, but I don't think that's the best way to minister to people," he told us. "I think the best way to do it is to do it though actions. Show God's love through your actions so that people follow you that way." Clay takes his position as a new idol to America seriously. "Every single person who is a celebrity, whether they want it or not, is going to be watched by millions of people. They have a choice to make. They can either make the choice to set a good example or make the choice to not care what other people think about them. I don't necessarily care what other people think about me, but I do make the choice to set a positive example all the time. I think the thing that would hurt me most is if I heard a parent wouldn't let their kid listen to my stuff because they didn't think I was a good example." Because this is a strong motivation in his career choices, Clay will be incorporating some music onto his next album that will be more God-oriented. "I love to listen to people in the car like Avalon and Steven Curtis Chapman, but I don't necessarily think that a strictly Christian album ministers to the unchurched. I like what Ruben did on his album, and what Stacie Orrico has done. She has gone and gotten a very strong secular base and then she puts out an album that has both kinds of music. She is able to minister to the unchurched population. There are some songs I've already looked at and even told RCA that I want to have on the next album that would be more religious."

MOMMA'S BOY>> Not only does Clay think it's cool as a mainstream to love God, Clay thinks it's just as cool to love his "momma." "I think she is one of the strongest people I know. She has gone through so many trials in her life. Thoughout that, she really has been the spiritual leader in our family and kept our family focused on God and positive stuff. She is without a doubt one of my biggest role models.

HIS SECOND LOVE>> Clay has a thing for brunettes who can give him sweet puppy dog eyes...literally. "Right now I'm dating my dog, Raleigh. I'm too busy to date anyone else."

IN HIS WORDS>> "There have been more trials recently than in my past life. I've had to fully rely on God now more than I have in the past. In the past, I would make decisions more hastily and not have a problem with it, but now I take time to pray about it and really think about it and try to see exactly what's best for me, what God would want me to do, what my family would want me to do. It's hard to know who to trust in L.A. God is one person you can always trust."

No link available for article at this time.  Check the link below for future reference to article.

BEAUTIFUL GIRL

YES!! AND DOUBLE YES!!  CLAY LIKES BRUNETTES!! WOOHOO!!  MY MONDAY SEEMS A LITTLE MORE HAPPIER NOW!!! Wink:
songbird457
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 07:06:03 AM »

too cute. I can give puppy dog eyes too.  Wink: And in the Detroit radio interview he said he'd hook up with someone (tonight) if he could - as in Mar 11.
Hint, hint - clay, your dream girl was in Row 18 on Mar 11, rushing the stage to give you songs that were written for your one true love.  :D
LJB
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 09:18:25 AM »

CHICAGO TRIBUNE CONCERT PREVIEW

Quote:
CLAY AIKEN
Now that "American Idol" has made household names out of photogenic, one dimensional tissue talents like Clay Aiken, the show's creators have to ensure that its newly hatched celebs eventually become stars-even though there's only a comparatively tiny market for interpretative singers. Well, thanks to instant heavy rotation, platinum shipping and other deep pocket marketing maneuvers, the derivative pop treacle of Aiken's debut CD, "Measure of a Man" (RCA) is now oozing like vapid tree sap from a radio near you. Kelly Clarkson also performs.  

Wow. Nasty!

I agree with you Pamela!!  What's wrong with these people???  I'm embarrassed to say that the Chicago Tribune is delivered to my door each morning!! :oops:
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 09:31:05 AM »

American Idols

By Barry Gilbert
Of the Post-Dispatch
03/22/2004

Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken successfully transferred their megaselling debut CDs to the concert stage at Savvis Center on Sunday night and, judging by the reaction of their adoring fans, they are anything but false idols, at least for now.

Clarkson, the 2002 "American Idol" winner, and Aiken, the 2003 runner-up, each performed for about an hour before a crowd ranging from the very young to the not-so-young - and including lots of moms and daughters. It was Clarkson's turn to go on first, and she hit the stage in hip-hugger jeans and an orange T-shirt reading "Dirrrty South," strumming a guitar to the opening of "Low" from the "Thankful" CD as the spotlight found her.

A highlight of the early part of her set came when she sat up on the piano for a reworked and effective version of "Beautiful Disaster," followed by the jazzy "Stuff Like That There," the song that introduced her to the audience and judges on "American Idol."

After a costume change to black top and black fedora, the Texan sang the only unexpected tune of her set, a hard-charging take on Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard From You."

She finally got the crowd to its feet - by invitation - midway through her set and closed with a rousing "Miss Independence."

Clarkson is the more musically adventurous of the two, and although she seemed totally at ease and in control during songs, she was oddly self-conscious and giggly during between-song patter.

Aiken, in contrast, is a natural entertainer. He entered the arena from the back, singing Mr. Mister's '80s hit "Kyrie" - the first but not the last unusual song selection for the North Carolina native.

And it was clear whom the crowd really had come to hear. They were on their feet from the opening note as he sold the music from his "Measure of a Man" CD.

With self-effacing humor, some simple but playful dance steps and a boatload of personality, Aiken cherry-picked his CD - "Perfect Day," "I Will Carry You," "No More Sad Songs," "Invisible" - and included a birthday sing-along for a fan and a cell-phone call to another fan's kin in Toronto.

Later, a medley began with the CD title song and veered into cover territory: Sting's "Fields of Gold," Leo Sayer's "When I Need You," James Taylor's pre-"Sweet Baby James" tune "Carolina in My Mind" and, of all things, Prince's "When Doves Cry." It was a welcome detour into other textures and tempos.

Aiken closed with "The Way" and returned almost immediately with Clarkson for a duet on Journey's "Open Arms." And then it was over. No phony encores, but no extended bows and thank-yous, either. The house lights simply came on - to some grumbling from the audience.

ST LOUIS TIMES DISPATCH
cassms
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 11:22:22 AM »

Well, thanks to instant heavy rotation, platinum shipping and other deep pocket marketing maneuvers,

What??? Instant heavy rotation?? We've been wearing ourselves out requesting!  Platinum shipping? Thanks to sales numbers!  I don't think these things were just automatic results from "deep pocket marketing maneuvers", as this Tribune writer seems to be suggesting :evil:!  These results were earned by Clay and his fans, though some of the multimedia establishment (like this guy) seem to begrudge Clay his success.  However, these nay-sayers will not stop the Clay train!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx