gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 15  (Read 4253 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: March 14, 2004, 09:39:32 PM »

Fans of Clay

Let’s get one thing straight before we start, this is not a belligerent dissertation on the Ruben and Clay phenomenon. I think there has already been enough of that to extinguish everyone’s interest in American Idol. What is fascinating however, is the continued and expanding popularity for a particular member of this talented duo. The year of 2003 was certainly the year of Clay, as reviewed by others. [This was the year for Aiken by Matt Ehlers at newsobserver.com].

The last year has been a huge success for both Idols. Clay’s record sales, media appearances, and charitable accomplishments have created a much larger following than anyone expected. More and more people are latching onto the measure of Clay Aiken. He is starting to show a maturity and improvement in his performances. The music industry is beginning to accept him. Kudos to them!

We have all read how the majority of Clay’s fans are female mostly residing at opposite spectrums of the age range. The younger fans who have been looking for someone to “idolize” (forgive the pun) and who’s music they can play without parental trepidation. The mature females who screamed and fantasized to the performances of pop-stars like The Beatles, The Osmonds (Donny?), early ‘80s Michael Jackson and so on. Admittedly, Clay Aiken’s style and/or his voice is not for everyone. I’m positive there are many people from both genders who dislike the middle-of-the-road (aka nice to listen to) quality of Clay’s songs. But I am also sure that we haven’t seen all that Clay has to offer yet.

It appears everyone agrees with the member-base of Clay Aiken followers. However, what about the male fan? Surprisingly, there does seem to be an ever growing male appreciation and admiration of this young man's talent, originality, and even an interest in his career path. Don’t believe it? Well, I’ve seen it, heard it, and have discovered several male friends I know were as ardent an American Idol watcher (Clay watcher) as were their female partners. Plus it has been acknowledged that they listen (sometimes clandestinely) to “Measure of a Man” on a regular basis.

In this society of brandish machismo the average man is apparently emotionless and their sole recreational pursuits appear to fall into very clear cut masculine activities. Should current trends in music, and the accompanying artists who perform enter into their list of pastime activities, then the objects of their admiration could often be categorized as either raunchy or provocative stage acts, or your typical tattoo infested mean-machine rock artist. Ok, I know there is some middle ground, but my point is that a great deal of men would not admit to having a respectful appreciation for good, clean, homely, female adorned male pop-stars. And most definitely not in the genre of one Mr. Clay Aiken. Or would they? Has our culture changed or is it in the midst of change? I think so.

There is a big difference between male based followers of other male pop-stars and those of Clay Aiken. For example (as we are in Idol mode), the Ruben fans who are of the male gender don’t have a problem with Ruben. He has “street cred”, and he possesses a typical male disposition. He doesn’t emotionalize outwardly, and his dialogue is short and to the point. He represents what’s “cool” and has a Vandross style about him that male and females both enjoy. He is talented and has a bright future ahead, and will no doubt retain a huge following from both genders. Justin Guarini is another male archetype. Not particularly a great singer, but he has the look, a style considered “hip”, and is also is seen as “cool” – I’m not going to comment on his recent deportation from record company popularity.

Clay however, goes against most of what the generic stereotypical male admires. He doesn’t appear to be street-wise, he isn’t physically representative of the “don’t mess with me” male attitude. He loves his mom openly (I don’t know why that is a problem, more men should be as demonstrative), its been said he has a slightly effeminate manner which I expect is nothing more than his willingness to be forthcoming with his emotions (men take note), and probably most of all he is openly religious, doesn’t drink, smoke, use the f-word, nor is willing to participate in sexual promiscuity. All these things do not fit the conventional pop-star male persona. Hence the dislike of him in certain circles. Regardless that he has a voice that can captivate the emotions of all who listen or that he’s proved to be entertaining on stage, he is not the kind of guy that other males admire, right? Well actually I’ve a sneaky feeling that many men are actually beginning to respect Clay Aiken. Respect – such a strange word – what is respect?

To quote a passage, “Respect is closely allied to admiration; it is more cognitive and less affective, and in general, more permanent than admiration. Respect is perhaps the most intellectualized sentiment … Respect for another implies that one has analyzed the activities of the other person and has found them satisfactory, or in harmony with his own ideals or standards.”
[Emory S. Bogardus's - “Essentials of Social Psychology”]

So then, we could find that the aspects of Clay Aiken that we respect, underpin what we as males wish we could be, but can not, due to the constraints of our peers and the lifestyles we are expected to follow.

Maybe there are other reasons that he is generating a growing male following. Perhaps he represents the ideal “mate” for our daughters. Perhaps he represents what we would hope our sons to evolve into. Perhaps he is an instrument in gaining the affections of a person from the opposite sex. Perhaps he epitomizes the new generation of the male society or the male pop-star. Whatever the reasons, there seems to have taken place, or is taking place, a change in social acceptance. There seems to be a willingness from a growing number of men not to hide behind their masculine guard. This has become evident if you look at the change in Film, TV and Drama over the last 25 years. It’s no longer weak for a male to admit he has inner emotions and sensitivity. For those men who wonder why so many female fans go crazy over anything Clay, I don’t think it is one singular attribute. I think you have to look at the whole image. The most commonly admired aspects of Clay (besides the voice) are his normality, level-headedness, compassion and openness. Yes, there’s a lesson there!

I don’t think for one minute Clay is anything more than a fine young man, with a refreshing personality and an astounding voice. But for so long it seems that society in general has been confined to stereotypes. Maybe this ex-geek from North Carolina can pave the way for others. We will always have the entertainers who will remain at the top because of style, looks, and industry promotion regardless of their musical abilities. But there is hope.

Let us not get too caught up in terms like revolution and fanatical adornment. Clay is just a unique entertainer with a gift. He has given others an optimistic view as to what can be achieved. American Idol has shown that dreams do come true. Lets hope that Clay continues on his adventure and not only makes 2004 another Year of Clay, but maintains who he is. Perhaps then, more members of the male breed will agree to acknowledge him as an admirable person and also as an artist worth following. Then just maybe, those (real) men, who actually do enjoy his talent, can at that point openly admit that it was they who had placed a Clay Aiken CD in the player. It really won’t be that bad! You might even start telling your male buddies that you’ve just purchased his latest release. If anything, I think we should at least start by taking our “hats off” to him. Yours truly has. Well done Clay!

Antony A Jones

ELITES TV

Thanks to clayMaine-iac for bringing this one!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 09:40:24 PM »

Tour photos are up at Rolling Stone!  Check it out --

ROLLING STONE PHOTOS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 09:41:26 PM »

MEDIABASE REPORT

CHR/Pop The Way is #53 with 714 spins on CHR/Pop.
Invisible is #78 with 233 spins.

Invisible is #13 on Adult Contemporary with 1097 spins.  
The Way has 77 spins so far on AC stations.

Let's hope RCA decides to start promoting The Way after the single comes out this week.  Keep requesting!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 09:42:24 PM »

Speaking of requesting...how about a vote for Clay at JoJo's?

JOJOS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 09:44:15 PM »

And speaking of the single, it's currently #2 at amazon.com!

You can order it HERE.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 10:21:56 PM »

From Ruben's RCA message board:  Ruben brought his Soulful tour to Charlotte tonight, and Clay was there to enjoy the show and show some support!
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 04:17:48 AM »

As usual our Clay is always there giving someone his support or love.  Come this way Clay I need you.  Ha Ha  Great guy!!!!!  Nothing better and to be there for his friend Ruben.

Lorraine
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 04:49:44 AM »

Yea for Clay
Even ladies of a certain age follow Clay Aiken, 'the genuine article' and 'a hottie'

By Patrick Wilson
JOURNAL REPORTER

Adjusting her Clay Aiken sign, a woman giggled outside the Joel Coliseum yesterday as a group of fans waited to go inside for the concert.

"I should have made me a sign: 'Clay, will you be the father of my grandchildren?'" the woman said, prompting laughter from both young and old fans around her.

Although Aiken, 25, appeals to all ages, moms and grandmothers seem to love him more than their daughters and granddaughters.

"He makes you feel like you're 12 years old, and you've got your first crush," said Gail Welborn, 54, of King.

Welborn is a member of the Piedmont N.C. Claymates, a fan group in the Triad dedicated to Aiken. Fans decorated cars and posters yesterday in anticipation of Aiken's concert with 2002 American Idol-winner Kelly Clarkson at Joel Coliseum.

Aiken, whose hometown is Raleigh, was the American Idol runner-up last year. All 10,000 seats for last night's concert were sold, and the national tour will continue into April.

"He's going to be as big as Elvis. I'm guaranteeing you. He is so beautiful from the inside out," said Reba Farmer, a 58-year-old Claymate from Thomasville.

To some fans, Clay is like the anti-Justin Timberlake.

They love Aiken's wholesome personality and his concern for children with disabilities; he started a charity called the Bubel/Aiken Foundation.

Following Aiken's example, the Piedmont N.C. Claymates raised money for the medical expenses of Erin Hope, 10, a girl from Statesville who has cancer.

"It's who he is as a person," said Deanie Lambeth, 57, of High Point, who started the Piedmont chapter of the Claymates. "Of course, we love the music and the fact that we can understand the words. But it's the role model that he presents for our young people today.... He's somebody that I would be proud to take my granddaughter (to see)."

Clay shirts and posters dominated the lines of people waiting to get into the Coliseum, but there was noticeably less talk of Clarkson.

"At every concert, he's the key person," Lambeth said. "Poor little Kelly.... She is so precious because she realizes that the fans are his fans."

The Claymates made baskets for Aiken and Clarkson, and a shirt for Clarkson said: "Piedmont N.C. Claymates love Kelly, too." Fans made posters for a contest sponsored by a local radio station, hoping by winning to meet the singers backstage.

Gabi Branson, 10, of Greensboro was excited about her first concert. "I love his voice," she said.

Holly Daquioag, 22, a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, helped fellow Claymate Susan Crews paint a big poster of Clay's face.

"I like him because he's the genuine article," Daquioag said.

Aiken's youthful look and tousled hair don't hurt.

"He's a hottie," said Paulette Disbrow of Raleigh. "He's the same age as my oldest daughter, but he's still a hottie."

WINSTON SALEM JOURNAL
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 05:02:50 AM »

Pamela, the article by Antony is really great.  It's nice to hear these things from a man's perspective.  
Lets hope that Clay continues on his adventure and not only makes 2004 another Year of Clay, but maintains who he is. Perhaps then, more members of the male breed will agree to acknowledge him as an admirable person and also as an artist worth following.

It really won’t be that bad! You might even start telling your male buddies that you’ve just purchased his latest release.

Let's hope that this happens!!!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 05:25:46 AM »

"I don’t think for one minute Clay is anything more than a fine young man, with a refreshing personality and an astounding voice."  That is so nice to read!  Although, the whole article was fantastic.  These were two outstanding articles to read about our guy.  It just warms my heart to read these long articles that are so positive.  Clay has shown, and continues to show, people that he will not change and it is time for everyone to come to grips with the fact that the country needed a change.
God chose Clay to be our gift.  I just love that guy.  He is so deserving of every kind word spoken about him.  WAY TO GO CLAY.  

I loved reading that Clay was at Ruben's concert.  He is just so special.
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
tiff
UltimateFan

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 07:47:43 AM »

Quote from: lls in CT

I loved reading that Clay was at Ruben's concert.  He is just so special.

aww! lls in CT, could you tell me which article was that and where was it? I must have missed it. thanks!

"And the one poor child who saved this world, and there's ten million more who probably could if we all just stopped and said a prayer for them" - Goo Goo Dolls, 'Better Days'
Clayton Clayniac
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 08:23:52 AM »

Isn't that just like Clay to be at Ruben's concert supporting him!  The tours were timed perfectly so that Clay has a few days off in NC so he could see Ruben and also have a chance to chill out with friends and family before flying to LA for AI on Wed. and then back on tour on Fri.  Can you believe the tour is only a little more than 1/3 of the way through?  They still have a long way to go -and so many memories for fans to look forward to!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 09:48:56 AM »

Clay Aiken Named Hottest Guy by Beautiful Girl Magazine

Monday March 15, 9:05 am ET

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 15 /PRNewswire/ -- In a time when "wardrobe malfunctions" and "55-hour marriages" are being used as publicity stunts to sell records, 2003 best-selling RCA recording artist Clay Aiken says he wants to stay a positive role model in the latest issue of Beautiful Girl on newsstands nationwide this week.

"I think the thing that would hurt me most is if I heard a parent wouldn't let their kid listen to my stuff because they didn't think I was a good example," Aiken tells Beautiful Girl in the Spring 2004 issue. "Every single person who is a celebrity, whether they want it or not, is going to be watched by millions of people ... I make the choice to set a positive example all the time."

Though Aiken was America's second favorite idol on FOX's "American Idol" last season, he's number one to Beautiful Girl in the cover story feature, "20 Hot Guys On Fire For God."

"While other teen magazines rank hot guys on what they look like, we've selected an amazing group of guys for Who they look up to," said publisher Scarlett Williams. "Our readers think that what makes a guy his hottest is his relationship with God like Clay has."

Currently on tour with fellow American Idol-alum Kelly Clarkson, Aiken is accompanied by other "hotties" in the magazine who are vocal about their Christian faith such as MTV's "Real World: New Orleans" star Matt Smith, Disney Channel's Orlando Brown of "That's So Raven," and country singer chart-topper Jimmy Wayne.

YAHOO
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 11:15:57 AM »

CLAY TO SING SOLITAIRE ON AMERICAN IDOL

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The finals on FOX's "American Idol" have only just started and yet the popular talent show is already whipping out its big guns. One week after the show's second champion, Ruben
Studdard, performed on the Wednesday "Idol" results show, the second season runner-up, Clay Aiken is set to appear.

On Wednesday, March 17, Aiken will perform "Solitaire" live on the
"Idol" stage. He'll be on hand both to inspire the current group of 12
"Idol" hopefuls with his success, but also to help producers milk an extra
half-hour out of the already-bloated result format.

Roughly 38 million viewers tuned in to the second season finale of
"American Idol" last May and saw Ruben top Clay in a tight race. Since that time, Clay has taken most of the advantages. His first single sold more copies, his album ("Measure of a Man") hit stores first and has sold
more copies than Ruben's "Soulful."

"Solitaire," a Neil Sedaka composition that Aiken sang during last
year's competition, is the B-side of his new single "The Way," which is
already getting major airplay. Aiken also recent picked up the coveted
title of "Hottest Guy" from Beautiful Girl magazine.

Given the number of weeks of "Idol" still to come, it's doubtful that
this will be Aiken's last appearance of the season. During last year's
show, first season winner Kelly Clarkson made multiple visits.

ZAP2IT
Claymate16
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 01:56:18 PM »

Quote from: Pamela
Clay Aiken Named Hottest Guy by Beautiful Girl Magazine

Did we really need Beautiful Girl to tell us that?  Laughing:
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 02:59:52 PM »

Pamela how nice to open my email and find another informative newsletter.  Without you how would we get all this wealth of information for our Clay hungry souls.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work you do for us in bringing us all the updated info.  Please swear you will stay with us forever!!!  Also I almost forgot to vote on JOJO than I seen your newsletter and it jogged my memory.  :P

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
clayaikenwow
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 06:03:03 PM »

lovely magizine!!! do they have it on claymaniacs yet ?I would love to read it.. is that a christian magizine or something?hum i love clay hes sooooooooooooooo wonderful!
Jeannette
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2004, 10:20:37 PM »

That was a great article on the male response to Clay.  I'm going to print it out and give it to a male family member.

Does anyone where to find a copy of Beautiful Girl magazine?  The Christian bookstores maybe?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx