gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 414
Total: 414

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 10  (Read 3835 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: March 09, 2004, 10:28:50 PM »

Clay Aiken’s ‘American Idol’ fame changes lives of Huntersville family

By B.J. Butler

Diane Bubel of Huntersville is becoming something of a celebrity because of the celebrity in her life.

CNN went to her home for an interview, as did ABC’s “Primetime” news show. Oprah flew Bubel and her daughter to Chicago to appear on her show as a surprise guest.

And it’s all because of Clay Aiken of “American Idol” fame.

Bubel, the new spokeswoman for the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, is the woman who encouraged Aiken to enter the 2003 Fox TV network “American Idol” competition.

Aiken, a Raleigh native, captured hearts and fans across the country last year in the nationally televised show. The competition showcased his singing talent and friendly Southern manner, ultimately naming him runner-up American Idol. His popularity arguably has been as strong as that of winner Ruben Studdard.

But despite her newfound celebrity status, Bubel is still a homemaker in Huntersville, wife of Michael, mother to 14-year-old Emma and 13-year-old Mike, who is severely autistic.

Mike is the reason that Diane Bubel’s and Aiken’s lives intersected. And it is the passion both feel for developmentally disabled children that probably will keep their lives intertwined. That passion resulted in the foundation Aiken created and asked the Bubels to be a part of. The two hope it will open hearts and minds to understanding the needs of these special children and those who care for them.

“Clayton decided after the (“American Idol”) competition that he wanted to do something significant for children with developmental disabilities. He called and wanted to use our name and our family as representatives,” says Bubel, who still refers to Aiken by his full first name, which he used when he introduced himself to them.

Aiken did the research and planning for the foundation while he was traveling across the United States performing on the “American Idol” tour and used it as his final independent study project to complete credits for his degree from UNC Charlotte as a special education teacher.

The Bubels say they always knew Aiken would do something important. He came into the Bubels’ lives in 2001 through a federal Medicaid waiver program called Community Alternatives Program – Mental Retardation/ Developmental Disabilities, CAP-MR/DD, or simply CAP. It provides a specially trained caregiver to come in and give respite care and support for a family with a member who has developmental disabilities.

“After our first interview with him, my husband said, ‘He’ll probably go into politics one day.’ Of course, then we didn’t know he could sing,” says Bubel, admitting that even on their first meeting, they noticed a “certain presence and confidence in him that draws you in.” She says they became even more impressed with Aiken over the two academic years that he was part of the family’s lives.

CAP workers, typically special education teachers working part time and special education students wanting more experience in the field, have specific goals and activities that the program plans with the family and monitors through paperwork filed by the caregiver. The Bubels’ goals involved getting Mike out into community situations and helping him communicate choices and behave appropriately. Aiken worked with Mike and the family two days each week, usually picking him up at The Metro School in Charlotte and taking him home.

Special connection
“The minute we invite someone into Mike’s life, they have to know all about us. And we were a safe place for (Clay), too. He was a college student with all the typical cares and concerns of a college student and he shared that with us,” she says.

“I think he really felt like he was a part of our family. We were a kind of outlet for him, a safe place to just talk, maybe because we didn’t know his family or people at the university. And we were having some significant problems with Mike at the time – he was having a lot of anger and ‘autism moments,’ which was frustrating. Clayton seemed to take it on himself to help us figure out why,” says Bubel, who described “autism moments” as much like a toddler’s tantrums.

Mike “was born seemingly healthy,” Bubel says. “Most of the time autism isn’t discovered until age 2 to 4, when parents begin to raise concerns to the doctor that their child isn’t developing skills other toddlers do. Most young children learn language like sponges, but that was a major key missing in Mike’s development.”

Mike also tended to pull away from other people at an early age and seemed bothered by lots of activity and noise, something the Bubels initially believed simply indicated he was shy.

Today Mike is unable to communicate verbally and understands only very simple language. “His brain can’t break down verbal commands,” Bubel explains. Because of that, she says, Mike’s life can be a struggle for him and the family. He thrives on familiarity and routine; new situations and people can be upsetting.

“The cruelness about this disability is that these children can look so natural and normal, but so much is hidden within. And when people see typical and normal, they expect typical and normal behavior,” she says. “But you can’t understand your world if you can’t even understand what your mother is communicating to you.”

The Bubels have received help from the CAP program since Mike was 8 years old.

And that brought Aiken, who was already doing some singing performances, into their lives.

Words of encouragement
He often sang at their home, trying out songs on them that he planned to perform for various events, Bubel says.

Bubel remembers the day Aiken told her and Emma that he and a friend wanted to try out for “The Amazing Race,” a TV show that sends contestants on a race to a destination via clues.

“We both told him he should try out for ‘American Idol’ because he had such an amazing singing voice,” she says. “He said, ‘Yeah, like I’m a Justin Timberlake type. They’d never take me seriously.’ But we were convinced he should and honestly thought he’d do well. I mean, really, how could anyone not respond to that voice?”

Bubel admits that she later felt guilty about encouraging him, though, when “American Idol” judge Simon Cowell, known for humiliating contestants, “slammed him so badly” in the early stages, she remembers.

Aiken later invited the Bubels to California as his guests for one of the shows. Diane Bubel and Emma attended.

“It was very glitzy and glamorous. Then all of a sudden Clay comes out and it was such an interesting combination of feelings for me. I felt very emotional when he sang – scared and almost stressed, a bit like a protective mother,” she says.

“Once the show was over, Clayton’s life was taken over and I felt bad. I got really scared…wondering, what if this is really not what he wanted for himself? I think it’s a mixed bag for him – exciting and fulfilling – but at times he might feel bad he’s not a teacher now, like he planned. His life is just a big media event and his time is not his own. But I suppose he could just quit if he wanted,” she says.

New directions
Diana Bubel’s own life is changing, too. Once a computer programmer, she has been a stay-at-home mother and homemaker since her husband’s job brought the family to Huntersville from New York when Mike was in kindergarten. This is one reason her new role as spokesperson for the foundation makes her a bit nervous.

Her first press conference found her in the Raleigh mayor’s office, which was filled with media people, when Aiken announced the foundation last July. A second took place in December when Bubel and Aiken announced a $40,000 donation from a fan group when Aiken was in Charlotte for his UNCC graduation exercises.

“The idea is to raise awareness and create opportunities for kids with developmental disabilities,” Bubel explains. “It’s about money and funding, too. Once it gets off the ground, we will offer grant money for different projects that benefit the children and those that care for them.”

“Clearly, Clayton’s voice is a gift. If you’re given a gift, it’s meant to be used. That has made the foundation possible, and he has the opportunity to make life better for thousands, rather than just a classroom of kids. These kids need a voice and Clayton is going to be their voice,” she says.

“He’s so extremely busy. Now our conversations are mostly quick ones on the phone when he’s walking through an airport somewhere. And they’re mostly just about the foundation. But I’m so glad we’ll always have that to keep us connected.”

Want to Know More?
For more information about the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, visit the Web site at www.thebubelaiken-foundation.org or contact it at
(224) 430-0950
P.O. Box 90307
Raleigh, NC 27675.

LAKE NORMAN MAGAZINE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 10:36:58 PM »

VANCOUVER SUN

Beware false Idols. First impressions can be misleading, as Clay Aiken is only to willing to attest.

A year ago, Aiken was on the outside of American Idol looking in. Passed over for the initial group of eight finalists, he won a spot in the final 10 as a wild card selection.

While no one will argue that Aiken has changed the face of pop music as we know it today, his slow but stubborn rise to Idol fortune was a testament to second chances.

And a testament too, to will power, a solid work ethic and a self-effacing attitude that seemed wholly at odds with the hype and hoopla surrounding everything to do with American Idol.

No link yet.
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:51:31 AM »

Pamela, what a wonderful article.  Ms. Bubel's and her family's lives have changed as much as Clay's.  I'm sure dealing with it all has been a bit scary for her.  A good kind of scary though...

I for one, hope and pray that the Foundation continues to grow and accomplish the goals it has set out to accomplish.

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 04:30:50 AM »

Clay is the word.  Everywhere I look and read, he is there.  What a guy!  His singing has changed so many things for so many people especially for the Bubels.  He is an IDOL in his own right.

Lorraine
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

ANN
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 05:11:46 AM »

PAMELA--

THANK YOU FOR THAT WONDERFUL ARTICLE.  DIANE BUBEL IS A WONDERFUL WOMAN.  WE ALL OWE HER A GREAT DEAL.  EVERY TIME I READ SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT CLAY, IT MAKES ME LOVE HIM MORE AS A PERSON.  SO CONCERNED WITH OTHERS.  WHAT A GUY.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
songbird457
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 07:19:50 AM »

Oh what a wonderful article about Diane and Clay. sniff sniff. I"m teary eyed. Warm fuzzies.  :D
Glory
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 07:32:41 AM »

Pamela, I was touched by this article,nobody understands what it is like to have a child with autism unless they go through it.I have had lots of autisic  clients it is extremely hard to help them on the other hand when they learn just one word my heart was just so full it almost exploded.It really takes a person with a heart of gold and alot of patience to do this type of job.We all know Clay has a heart of gold but with his music he is now able to help so many that otherwise would slip through the cracks.I thank God for him everyday.Replies to my comments are welcome.                             Glory

A LITTLE LAUGHTER, A LITTLE SNARK, A LOT OF COMPASSION MAKES UP MY CLAYS HEART.
THINKING OF JULIE,JJ,LIZ, CAORL OUR OCD ANGELS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 07:37:04 AM »

RETURN TO `AMERICAN IDOL'

....Still, the wild-card show is not a bad place to be, considering what's happened to Clay Aiken, the wild-card choice from season two.

Aiken was not awarded the title last year. But he emerged as the biggest star of the ``American Idol'' series, outshining the winners Kelly Clarkson and Ruben Studdard in popularity and album sales.

Aiken -- currently co-headlining a tour across the country with Clarkson -- also is the only idol with a triple-platinum debut album.

MERCURY NEWS
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 07:41:20 AM »

Fine Tuning - Today on TV

American Idol's results show (8:30 p.m. on CTV and Fox) has been expanded to a full hour, as the all-important wild cards are chosen from Tuesday night's performances.

Don't laugh: Clay Aiken (remember him?) was originally a wild-card selection, which begs the question: Were fans right to overlook Aiken the first time around, or did they get it right only after a second try? And what does that say about tonight's lucky contestant(s)?

These are important questions, people.

OTTAWA  CITIZEN

Fact checker!  The fans did not 'overlook' Clay.  HELLO!  In fact, we tried to vote so much that we overloaded the phone system.  Or something...
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 08:25:26 AM »

Clarkson and Aiken live up to `Idol'atry

By Amy Amatangelo
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

In a match made in marketing heaven, Kelly Clarkson, the winner of the first "American Idol'' competition, and Clay Aiken, the runner-up in last year's competition, took their joint tour to the Worcester Centrum on Monday night. Both stars clearly have not forgotten the reason they have a career.

Aiken performed a slew of numbers from his album, "Measure of a Man.'' His effortless banter with the crowd was delightful. He signed autographs, took a cellphone from an audience member, and when he saw a 5-year-old girl with a sign that read, "Clay, can I sing with you?'' he brought her on stage. To his surprise, the young fan knew all the words to "When You Say You Love Me.''

"You know this song better than I do,'' he said.

Let's be honest - the idea of Aiken covering Prince's hit "When Doves Cry'' seems preposterous. But as judge Paula Abdul likes to say, it's all about making the song your own. And Aiken owned the song. Whether it was during a power ballad such as "I Survived You'' or his hit "Invisible,'' the Raleigh, N.C., native seemed to be having a blast on stage.

"Idol'' judge Simon Cowell's rallying cry is that contestants not only need vocal talent, they also need charisma. That kind of charm can't be taught, and Aiken has a joyful stage presence that is downright contagious. That's one reason he's touring with Clarkson, instead of Ruben Studdard, who aced him out in their season's final vote.

Compared to Aiken, Clarkson did not seem nearly as comfortable in front of the crowd. Although they shared the same three backup singers and band, the two sets were vastly different. Clarkson's stage was layered with Oriental rugs and giant candles and her stage persona was more affected.

Clarkson was often drowned out by her band and, at times, seemed to be screaming the lyrics. She fared better on such numbers as "Beautiful Disaster'' and "Thankful,'' accompanied by just the piano, so her rich voice could be heard. The live version of her mega-hit "Miss Independent'' was the highlight of her set.

Like Aiken, Clarkson remembers where she came from. She closed with her first hit, "A Moment Like This,'' and signed autographs during the entire song.

BOSTON HERALD
CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 09:17:09 AM »

I have got chills just running up and down my arms from these articles.
Can't we just clone Clay so everyone one of us can have him in our homes. It is just so frustrating not to be able to see and hear him.  Yes, I am greedy and I know I was lucky to go to the Worcester concert, but everyone knows very well, once you have seen him, you want more and more.   I can't believe Oprah flew Diane and Michael there.  That was wonderful.  Why doesn't she fly Clay to her show?!?  He loves her and she knows he is the founder of this foundation.  She is one of the answers he gives when asked what are some great things that have happened to you since your fame. He always answers,   "Meeting Oprah."  Okay, it's time, Oprah, have him on his show.  I should probably email the show.

Loving Clay,
Linda

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 10:01:12 AM »

That kind of charm can't be taught, and Aiken has a joyful stage presence that is downright contagious. That's one reason he's touring with Clarkson, instead of Ruben Studdard, who aced him out in their season's final vote.

Do you think this is a FACT or just an OPINION of the writer? (One of the reasons he's touring with Kelly instead of Ruben)?  I've never hear that before.

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
liney23
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 11:50:47 AM »

guynn, Clay and Kelly said that Kelly saw that Clay was looking at small venues and so was she, so she called and said, let's be tour buddies.  Clay thought of the name, Independent, cause they're trying to be from AI.  

Ryan Seacrest asked Clay if Ruben felt left out.  He said that Ruben's audience is so different from his or Kelly's that it made no sense for them to tour together, but that Clay and Kelly's, while some different, were more compatible.  Ruben is doing a solo tour later.

I think Kelly made out like a bandit on this arrangement, cause she splits the monies with Clay, while he draws in crowds she's not able to bring in yet.  Clay wins cause he's very social and would not really like touring by himself, this first time.  They're doing great and having fun and we are benefiting, too.  A win-win situation.

I heard that Ruben's tour has had to cancel some venues due to lack of sales.  Don't have any idea if that is true, but too bad for him if it is.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 12:18:15 PM »

Nickelodeon's 'Let's Just Play' Campaign Comes to Houston Saturday, March 20

Tuesday March 9, 10:02 am ET  

NEW YORK, March 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Nickelodeon, the number-one kids' entertainment brand, brings its multi-year, pro-social, national "Let's Just Play" campaign to Houston with a park-wide game day and festival for kids and parents at Eleanor Tinsley Park from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Saturday, March 20. Presented by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) VERB.(TM) campaign, "Let's Just Play Houston" is part of Nickelodeon's grassroots effort to get kids more physically active and to encourage positive, healthy and playful lifestyles.

A National, Multi-Media Campaign

Launched in June 2003, Nickelodeon's "Let's Just Play" campaign employs Public Service Announcements, including those from Denzel Washington, Hillary Duff, Clay Aiken, and Wade Robson; community events; partnerships and grassroots efforts reinforcing the pure value of play and to challenge community infrastructures to support re-investment in recreational resources for kids. Past cities visited by "Let's Just Play" include Spokane, Kansas City, Atlanta, Hartford, Los Angeles and Miami, generating participation from over 50,000 kids.

YAHOO LINK
Claymate16
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 02:16:52 PM »

Guess what guys! My wish came true! Clay and Kelly will be on the radio in the Detroit area! Channel 95.5, Mojo in the Morning show. They will be calling in! yay!
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 06:58:19 PM »

Linda,
I Agree with you.  I think we should really think about posting something to write to OPRAH about CLAY.  I know Oprah was a big Ruben fan,  but I think if she knew of the wonderful things Clay has been doing with his foundation and causes he is participating in, I think she would become  a BIG CLAY FAN.

Linda wrote:
Okay, it's time, Oprah, have him on his show. I should probably email the show.

I think we should all get on the band wagon and write to OPRAH.

TAKE CARE,

ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx