gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:36:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 336
Total: 336

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 5  (Read 3839 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: March 04, 2004, 09:25:13 PM »

Shared by cjrmax:

THIS IS FROM THE PHILDALPHIA INQUIRER:

Clay Aiken's simple food requirement before his show Tuesday with Kelly Clarkson at the Liacouras Center: a No. 2 combo from Wendy's (cheeseburger - no lettuce, onion or mayo - fries and the American Idol-approved Coke). Clarkson's meal was not known, but she did get a half-hour massage. A crew from ABC's 20/20 tailed Aiken on-stage and off; look for the piece Monday (8 p.m., Channel 6).

PHILLY.COM

ABOUT 20/20 MONDAY:

About: 03/08/2004 - "Second Acts"
In "Second Acts," a special Monday night edition of "20/20," ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas talks with four stars who are back on the scene and bigger than ever after everyone had counted them out. Olympic figure skating champion Oksana Baiul, "American Idol's" Clay Aiken, Academy Award nominee Johnny Depp and entertainer Tom Jones have all experienced the roller coaster ride of celebrity in very different ways. Baiul's personal troubles almost led to her downfall; Aiken emerged from obscurity to turn a loss into a win; Depp once chose to flee from the Hollywood hype; and Jones is enjoying his umpteenth appearance in the pop culture spotlight. Vargas chronicles their compelling journeys back to the top.
Aiken lost last year's "American Idol" contest, but has unexpectedly emerged as a winner on the charts, skyrocketing to music superstardom. The former youth counselor from North Carolina describes what this incredible "second act" has meant to his life.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 09:29:11 PM »

Shared by Frankie:

The Billboard edition you told us about several weeks ago is out. It is not available in my area .... If anyone else is having this problem, it can be purchased from Book-A-Million online, with shipment in 24 hours.

BOOKS A MILLION

Thanks Frankie!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 09:37:51 PM »

The Way was #7 on JoJos last night!  Excellent job.  
Remember, at JoJos you may only vote once per day.  
So every vote counts!  

HIT JOJOS ONCE A DAY!
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 03:19:33 AM »

In "Second Acts," a special Monday night edition of "20/20," ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas talks with four stars who are back on the scene and bigger than ever after everyone had counted them out. Olympic figure skating champion Oksana Baiul, "American Idol's" Clay Aiken, Academy Award nominee Johnny Depp and entertainer Tom Jones have all experienced the roller coaster ride of celebrity in very different ways. Baiul's personal troubles almost led to her downfall; Aiken emerged from obscurity to turn a loss into a win; Depp once chose to flee from the Hollywood hype; and Jones is enjoying his umpteenth appearance in the pop culture spotlight. Vargas chronicles their compelling journeys back to the top.
Aiken lost last year's "American Idol" contest, but has unexpectedly emerged as a winner on the charts, skyrocketing to music superstardom. The former youth counselor from North Carolina describes what this incredible "second act" has meant to his life

Wow This sounds like a great show.  Too bad I won't be home to watch or tape this one.

I guess I will have to see Clay somewhere else that evening!!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Claymate16
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 04:45:16 AM »

ya that 20/20 sounds like fun! can't wait to see it
CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 05:01:45 AM »

That's right ClayMaine,

Perhaps, you will be with Lorraine and I watching Clay in person in Worcestesr, MA.  CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT.  But, I am going to have my husband tape it for me.  I know, I want everything!!
But I love both of my guys.  Can't help it.

Linda in CT

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 05:37:29 AM »

An 'Idol' with aw-shucks appeal

By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff, 3/5/2004

"The doughnuts are gone," says Clay Aiken. "I'm going to look for them."

The "American Idol" alum is having his hair done in host Ryan Seacrest's Los Angeles studio, and he's taken a style break to speak to a reporter and have a sugar doughnut. Aiken wants a doughnut very badly. A 15-minute phone interview is interrupted half a dozen times to chronicle his search, which grows desperate. The sound the singer makes when he discovers an empty counter where the doughnuts are supposed to be is not unlike the sound a crack fiend might make upon finding his stash has been raided.

Could there be a geekier diva than this? Aiken is "American Idol" personified -- his unglamorous looks, underdog back story, and wholesome delivery combined in unfathomable reality-TV fashion to turn the 25-year-old singing contestant into pop gold. In a coup for runners-up everywhere, Aiken parlayed his second-place showing in the 2003 "American Idol" season into a recording contract with RCA, magazine cover stories galore, and a wild-card spot on People magazine's "Sexiest Men Alive" list. And in a telling development that reveals as much about an Idol's expected shelf life as Aiken's glorious annointment, it was recently announced that the white shirt, pin-striped pants, and shoes he wore in an early round of "Idol" will become a part of the permanent collection at the North Carolina Museum of History.

"I'd never even been to LA before this started!," says Aiken, who performs with Kelly Clarkson at the Worcester Centrum Monday. "I'm still dorky, I'm still a nerd, and I'm totally out of my element."

That's an understatement, and it's also part of the reason he's loved by so many. A year and a half ago, Aiken was studying to be a special education teacher in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C. On a whim, the mother of a student convinced him to go to Atlanta and stand in line with thousands vying for a spot on "American Idol." Things went well.

Now, Aiken gets to cut in line at the DMV and take lunches at the Ivy. His debut album, "Measure of a Man," a slick collection of middle-of-the-road ballads, has sold more than 2 million copies. He has regular pedicures, a bodyguard, and an LA pad with a pool.

The public, however, has taken to Aiken like he's a skinny puppy who needs a good meal. That's not to diminish his big-money high notes or earnest interpretations.

But Aiken oozes the sort of aw-shucks charm that wobbles the knees of preteens and seniors, mainly women, who call themselves Claymates. He seems to know who he is, who he's not. Aiken happily compares his music to that of '80s soft-rock group Air Supply and says he has no intention of writing his own material, currently provided by a stable of songwriters. "You make a lot more money that way, but that's the wrong motivation," he says.

His American idol? Mr. Rogers.

"There are plenty of singers with great voices and great pop songs, but Clay has a really down-to-earth personality," says Steve Ferrera, senior vice president of A&R for RCA (and a Lexington native) who, along with record mogul Clive Davis and "Idol" creator Simon Fuller, is helping to oversee Aiken's career. "He's completely grounded and absolutely likable, and people see that."

Aiken wears his newfound fame with the wide-eyed enthusiasm of someone who had never planned on arriving at this particular destination. There were no vocal coaches or dance lessons, but Aiken was a child star of sorts, singing country songs on the counter at the Sears store where his parents worked. He was a member of the Raleigh Boys Choir and sang at the Leesville Road Baptist Church. He loved music, but working with autistic children was Aiken's passion, and he's wistful for the work he's left behind.

"I had my life planned out. I was going to be a teacher," says Aiken, who received his degree from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte last year through a special independent study provision. "I get a little jealous of my friends who have their classrooms now. It's a different sort of gratification.

"I once worked for three months to get a child to be able to read a word. You don't get anyone clapping for you when you do that. You work hard. You earn it. I didn't work hard to be able to sing. God gave that to me. It's easy, and people scream and cheer, and who wouldn't like that? It's great. But there's a different feeling associated with it." Aiken is keeping it as real as he can in "the strange, strange monster" called Hollywood. His concert performances with Clarkson feature no headsets, no dancers, no pyro, no lip-synching -- just a couple of fresh-scrubbed singers singing good old-fashioned songs.

"I've got a responsibility to the public," Aiken says. "Parents want to let their kids listen to people they can trust. I used to trust everybody."

Aiken still hasn't taken off the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) bracelet that a former charge from his days as a YMCA summer camp counselor gave him during "American Idol." It has more significance now than ever, he says.

"It reminds me of who put me here. It reminds me that I can trust God, who had a different plan for me. It reminds me that I want to be a role model.

"And," Aiken adds cheerfully, "it reminds me that when he's ready for me to be done with this, this ride's gonna be over."

BOSTON GLOBE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 06:10:51 AM »

The Way/Solitaire is #2 at AMAZON.COM right now!

Remember:  Sales + Airplay = Billboard Singles Chart Ranking

Also, Clay mentioned last night at the NY concert that he knew The Way video debuted at #7 on TRL yesterday.  Let's make sure it moves on up the countdown...please go to the TRL Warrior thread and hit those voting links a few times today!

TRL WARRIORS
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

ANN
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 06:25:02 AM »

PAMELA--

THAT ARTICLE IS AMAZING.  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 06:48:03 AM »

Thank you so much for the Billboard tip.  I have looked EVERYWHERE and haven't been able to find it.  Including Barnes and Noble. Thanks again.  :D

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 01:01:53 PM »

I also found Billboard at Barnes and Noble today.  They only had two left!

Thanks for all the info Pamela.  The Way at 2 at Amazon--that's AWESOME!!!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 02:42:07 PM »

ET on MTV & VH1

March 5, 2004
Our MARIA MENOUNOS is ready to give you the 411 on what's hot for "ET on MTV & VH1" this weekend! Check out our preview of what you'll see as we take you inside the lives of hip-hop and Hollywood's most wanted, then watch our show and tell us what you think in our ONLINE SURVEY. Maria might even mention you on an upcoming episode!

First, "American Idol" fans all over the country are "thankful" that the KELLY and CLAY AIKEN caravan is rolling into their towns on the "Independent" tour. In Miami, the Raleigh rogue sang "Perfect Day," "Invisible" and many more songs from his double-platinum debut album, Measure of a Man, and even got a little sassy with a cover of PRINCE's "When Doves Cry." ET's own CARLOS PONCE took an exclusive backstage tour with the duo at the South Florida show to check out their wardrobes, watch them rehearse and glean more tidbits about their all-important, Scrabble showdown.
...Catch "ET on MTV & VH1" at the following times:

MTV
03/06/04 11:30 AM Saturday
03/07/04 11:00 AM Sunday

VH1
03/06/04 12:00 PM Saturday
03/06/04 05:30 PM Saturday
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »

From RHT.com

I work in the United States Senate for one of the Repbublican leaders and got to attend a special press conference on Capitol Hill this morning with CLAY! Clay was speaking on behalf of Youth Service America for National Youth Serve Day. He gave out the first Clay Aiken "Able to Serve" award to a young woman from Roanoke, Virginia who was disabled. The Undersecretary of Education Gene Hickok and the CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service were also in attendence. Senator Harkin also spoke and praised Clay for not only his phenomenal talent, but his phenomenal heart. Great quote: Senator Harkin said: "While Clay's album may teach us the 'Measure of a Man' Clay's passion for service and community involvement teaches Americans how to be the 'Measure of a Nation.' " Clay seemed very humbled by the event and gave a great speech although, he unfortunately had almost completely lost his voice and could barely speak to the crowd. He had to continually adjust the mic just so we could hear him!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2004, 02:54:55 PM »

According to Rock on TV, Clay will be performing on
American Idol March 17.  Mark your calendars!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2004, 03:12:13 PM »

HOT TICKET: CLAY AIKEN

FORMER 'IDOL' CONTESTNAT IS EAGER TO SHOW WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE - TABLE IS SET
By Alan Sculley / Special to The Detroit News

For a few select performers, “American Idol” has become a dream vehicle
into the music business. But success on “American Idol” doesn’t
guarantee popular contestants a place in mainstream music once they finish their run on the show.

Consider Justin Guarini, who has quickly faded from the public eye since finishing second to Kelly Clarkson in the inaugural 2002 season of the hit show.

Clay Aiken finished second to Ruben Studdard on the popular reality show in 2003, but he went into the making of his debut CD “Measure of a
Man” knowing he needed to bring more to the table musically than he
showed on “American Idol.”

“I think that with ‘American Idol,’ you perform a lot of classic standards stuff, and a lot of times people come out of there wondering will this person have the ability to compete in a mainstream market?” Aiken says. “I think that’s what we were really trying to show with the album.
Yeah, I sang ‘Build Me Up Buttercup’ and ‘Solitaire’ and ‘Mack The
Knife’ on that show, but that’s not all I can do.”

Whether fans consider the songs on “Measure Of A Man” as adding new
dimensions to the musical personality Aiken has already established is
debatable. But there’s no arguing with the popularity Aiken continues to
enjoy.

The CD debuted during fall with first-week sales of 613,000 — that’s the second highest total ever, behind Snoop Dogg’s “Doggy Style.” Aiken’s
record spent two weeks at No. 1 and has topped 2 million in sales. Its
lead single, “Invisible” is still Top 10 on the adult contemporary chart.

Now Aiken’s arena tour with Clarkson promises to keep him in the
spotlight through spring as sales of “Measure of a Man” continue to build.

But it’s all an amazing series of events for someone like Aiken, who never saw singing as anything other than a hobby. The 25-year-old native of Raleigh, N.C., planned to be a teacher, but family friend Diane Bubel convinced him to try out for “American Idol.” While he emerged
alongside Studdard as a leading contender to win “Idol,” and in the season finale, viewers voted Studdard the winner by a margin of less than 1 percent. But Aiken’s showing was easily strong enough to earn him a deal with RCA Records.

Aiken put teaching on hold, and singing became his priority as he went to work on “Measure of a Man” with the help of label president and music industry legend Clive Davis and an impressive cast of
songwriter/producers that included Desmond Child, Clif Magness (who was a major contributor to Avril Lavigne’s debut CD), Rick Nowels (known for his work with Cher) and Steve Morales (familiar to many for his work with Christina Aguilera).

Still, Aiken says, he retained a good deal of control over the material that makes up the CD.

“So they played me like 15, 16, 20 songs. I said, ‘I don’t like this one. I don’t like this one. I do like this one. This is the kind of sound I like. This is what I’m interested in doing... .’ And we all bought into the same type of vision that I have,” Aiken says.

Trying to describe exactly the kind of artist Aiken wants to be, though, is an elusive topic. Between his “American Idol” performances and the songs on “Measure of a Man,” he has sung a variety of material, from
classic pre-Beatles pop to adult contemporary fare.

But Aiken enjoys the fact that he has been hard to pin down stylistically.

“I think that’s part of the reason we’ve had so much success with our
album and what we’ve been doing, because we don’t necessarily fit into
one of the prefabricated niches that record companies have put out,”
Aiken says.

You can reach Alan Sculley at alanlast word@earthlink.net.

DETROIT NEWS
LiftClayUp
Claymaniac

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2004, 03:38:12 PM »

I placed an order with Books A Million earlier today for the Billboard magazine.  I got this in an e-mail from them this afternoon:

Thank you for your order with Booksamillion.com. Unfortunately, we have had to cancel an item or items due to it being on backorder as they are out of stock indefinitely in all of our distribution centers. We have listed this isbn and title in the subject line to determine what items we were not able to get for you.  We have tried several times to reorder these items from all of our vendors, and even the publisher, but have been unsuccessful in gathering them for you.

Carol

Clay is our gift from GOD!!!!!
clayaikenfan
Claynewbie

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »

Clay seemed very humbled by the event and gave a great speech although, he unfortunately had almost completely lost his voice and could barely speak to the crowd. He had to continually adjust the mic just so we could hear him!  

Oh, my gosh!  LOST HIS VOICE???? Tell me it isn't true!!!!!!!

I'm a 50 year old mom with total devotion to this young star...he makes me glow!
CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2004, 05:46:42 PM »

I am so upset over him.  I feel so bad that he is losing his voice.  Tell me how Clay is going to do a concert tonight, Sunday and Monday.  I will be at the one in Worcester, MA Monday.  I am so worried that he is having trouble and cannot take the time to rest.  I would rather see him reschedule then to suffer like this.  My prayers are with you Clay.

Linda in CT

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2004, 06:00:17 PM »

Clay announced at the Washington DC concert tonight that MoaM has now
shipped

TRIPLE PLATINUM!!!

CONGRATULATIONS CLAY!

Oh, and by all accounts Clay sounded fabulous tonight!  He didn't speak much during the show and he didn't speak at all during the pre concert meet and greet.  He used sign language.   Wink:

Some of the songs were switched up a little bit and again the backup singers helped him out on some of the high notes.  But everyone I've seen posting tonight says he sounded GREAT and was in very good spirits.  I suppose he's pretty happy about the triple platinum news... 8)
Claymate16
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2004, 06:30:58 PM »

YESS!!! TRIPLE PLATINUM!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx