gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 451
Total: 451

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on Buying Concert Tickets  (Read 6655 times)
Misha
« on: January 17, 2004, 10:20:16 AM »

I read this on the official Clay Aiken message forum, thought I'd bring it over here.

----------------

It's long but gives a good idea of what happens.

I've been going to concerts for years and years--here and around the country.  And for the last 10 years, this is the way TicketMonster AND their ticket outlets have operated here in St. Louis (and other cities).  If it's changed, lately, I'm not aware of it.  You can always call any ticket agent of your choice and ask them how they handle ticket selling.  If they say "LINE TICKETS", the explanation is below.

Prior to a concert (after the official announcement by TicketMonster), most ticket outlets start giving out those little paper "carnival" ticket stubs.  They're numbered from 1-to-whatever.  They give you the stub and they put the matching stub into a "fishbowl".  You keep your stub until the day the tickets go on sale.  They give these tickets out for weeks in advance so you can imagine how high the numbers can get.

To get these little "carnival" ticket stubs, you simply go to your desired ticket outlet and request a ticket.  No questions asked.  They just tear off a ticket and give it to you.  The last concert I went to, I sent everyone I knew for a stub (if they see you twice, they won't issue you additional ticket stubs, of course).  I ended up with about 10 stubs and lucked out when they "fished" into the fishbowl.  I was first in line.  Pure luck.  But that didn't mean I got a good seat--Row 29 at Riverport!!!

On the day the tickets go on sale, the ticket outlet draws a numbered ticket stub out of the "fishbowl".  This usually happens about an hour (or half hour) before tickets go on sale.   Whatever numbered stub they pull out, is the first person that gets in line to buy tickets.  The line counts up from there.  If they draw a 20 and that's your stub, you're first in line; if you're 21, you are second; 22 is 3rd in line; and so forth.  If you're number 30, you're 11th in line,etc (that's why it's a good idea to get a lot of those numbered tickets--raises your odds).  Unfortunately if you have a number LOWER than what they draw, you'll be very close to LAST in line to buy.  It counts through all the ticket stubs and then starts over at 1 going up to 19 (or whatever is the previous number to what they drew out).

With the line ticket system, I believe they only allow 6 tickets to the concert per person (maybe that's changed).  This keeps things moving quickly.  This limits a person from buying for a lot of out-of-towners.  

Furthermore, TicketMonster has a lot of local corporate accounts.  Meaning, usually the first 10 rows of venues are considered "season tickets" and are sold to the likes of Anheuser Busch, Purina, Boeing, Monsanto, etc.  

For the most part, there is no way in you-know-what, that you'll get better than at least Row 10 unless you go through a scalper.  I did that once.  Paid hundreds of dollars for 2 tickets and got 3rd row--and it wasn't even centerstage.  If you're interested in a scalper, they are listed in the newspaper.  It's against the law, of course, but we didn't have any trouble.  What happens is, someone from one of the corporations (for instance--a season ticket holder) doesn't want their tickets (for any particular event) so they have someone sell them for them to get a profit.  I remember driving to a jewelry store to get my scalped tickets.  Of all places!  No one knew I wasn't there for jewelry.

Wherever you're planning to get your tickets, getting there at 2:00 AM won't do a bit of good.  If they draw a ticket stub out that isn't what you have or isn't anywhere close, you're out of luck.  Being there first in line has nothing to do with it.  In MANY instances, I did better over the phone, getting tickets, than in person.  Sometimes you get right through on the phone, BUT other times it can take HOURS.  Remember, if you buy in person, there are 30 (or whatever) other ticket outlets (in your city) selling their tickets at the very same time.  With hundreds and thousands of tickets being sold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  D.White - 11:16pm Jan 16, 2004 EST (1.)  
The whole thing didn't post here is the rest.

With hundreds and thousands of tickets being sold; it doesn't take long  for the halfway-decent seats to become unavailable very quickly (a matter of minutes).  If you call on the phone and are lucky to get through, the same applies.  Hundreds and thousands of tickets are being sold that very second.  One time I tried for tickets over the phone for 2 hours before getting through.

I don't know if Savvis sells there own tickets.  I doubt it.  It's probably TicketMonster--they pretty much have a monopoly going.  If so, I'm sure they will handle it the same way.  Call around.  If you hear "line tickets", the above is what you're up against.  And remember the only time I got remotely close to the stage was via a scalper.  And with Clay's popularity a scalper's price will be very steep.

I've never attended Savvis but I'm sure the "season tickets"/corporate seats apply.

TicketMonster may not operate this way in other cities.  And individual ticket agents may handle things differently (I've never found any, but...). When I've gone to concerts out of town, I either won a contest, paid a scalper, or did it over the phone with TicketMaster.  One small venue in Little Rock sold their own (like Cape Girardeau) but I have to assume that in all the bigger cities (like St. Louis), the LINE TICKET system is used.

TicketMonster, Grrrr!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 12:09:30 PM »

Thanks for sharing this Misha.  My latest experience is that I was fortunate enough to get front tickets on the very day of the Raleigh AI Concert.  They were purchased on TicketMonster Laughing: by a friend in another state.  (God bless him forever!)

Here are some tips I have been accumulating over the past couple of days.  First of all, I would suggest that everyone go read the Ticketmaster FAQ very carefully.  It could save you some heartache down the road.  Next, if you plan on using Ticketmaster to order online, go register so you have an account set up.  You can't purchase online without an account.

When ordering online at the Ticketmaster site, you have two minutes to complete your transaction before the seats are released to someone else.  So be focused and prepared.

Also,  you can normally buy a maximum of eight tickets.  However, you can buy more if you use a different credit card.  Although it would be nice to have eight seats together so we can sit with friends, it may be difficult to find a block of eight good seats.  If your preference is good seats, search for blocks of 2,3 or 4 seats maximum.  

It's true what Misha posted about the first ten rows.  One reason front row seats sometimes become available the day of the show is that after the venue is set up, there is extra room and rows are added.   But don't wait until the day of the show and hope that will happen; it doesn't always happen.

Also, go to the Ticketmaster site or the website of your local venue and print out a seating chart.  Have it with you as you search for tickets.  I'll post more info as it comes my way.  If you have any personal experience with ticket ordering, please feel free to share!

TICKETMASTER
FAITH
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 12:40:59 PM »

Before finding out that the tour was not coming to Toronto, I consulted with my friend who is an expert at getting tickets through ticketmaster on line in Canada. I believe the system is the same as in the U.S. As Pamela mentioned, you should enter all of your info, including your credit card number, before the day that the tickets go on sale. Here are a few tips from him. Be at your PC by 9:50am (tickets sales usually become active at 10am). Go to the event and bring yourself to the final screen before purchase, which will say something like 'more info'. Keep refreshing the screen, and the 'more info' box will change to 'buy/select seats'. Click on that and you will be off to the races!! Good luck to you all, you lucky devils!!! Hope this is accurate and helps!
FAITH
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

Forgot to mention one other tip. He said that if you don't like the seats that are presented, you can just quit the specific screen, and select seats again. Sometimes, the next seats that are presented are  more favorable. No guarantees, however.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 01:55:05 PM »

PLEASE NOTE - THERE IS AN 8 TICKET LIMIT

Also, Ticketmaster uses what they call a 'Card ID' number.  This is the 3 digit number on the back of your credit card that is used for verification purposes. You will have to type in this number on the ticket ordering page, even if you are already logged into your Ticketmaster account.

Be prepared!
clay4me03
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 03:11:15 PM »

Oh my gosh!  I am so excited and yet so scared!  I want to be in the first 5 rows center which is section B in the St. Louis Savvis Center.  Section A and C would be fine but B is center section.  I haven't been sleeping already...I hope I don't have a heartattack!!  I am taking my 10 yr old and we are both so very excited!  I am using my Christmas money and since my bday is in March, I have requested money for my Clay Concert Fund....for hopefully a Clay bobblehead!  Good luck to everyone....anyone else going to St. Louis concert?

Jacki
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 05:31:54 PM »

So, is it better to purchase online or over the phone with the venue site?  This whole thing is making me nervous.

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
houstonclayfan
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 05:34:09 PM »

This whole thing is making me nervous.

Me too, quynn.  Cry!:  I am going to try both at the same time. I am not picky - anything in the same room with him will make me a happy camper ! :P
cjrmax
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 08:36:28 PM »

Although the Philadelphia show is not yet listed on Ticketmaster, I went into the Charlotte show just to see what it said and they listed a pre-sale date. Does anyone know if anyone can order during the pre-sale or do you need a special password or promotion code and if so how do you get these?

I am so nervous about this!
clay4me03
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 05:39:10 AM »

I am trying to find the same thing out...no one seems to know.  quynn, I was told at the Savvis Center (where Clay will be in St. Louis) they told me the best thing to do is to be on computer and phone at same time.  The phone lines seem to get jammed more than computer (depending on your connection).  How do the presales work?  I have seen presales for fanclubs, but how do oyu access the presale?  Fanclub number? Name?? Number from credit card?  How????

Jacki
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 07:56:47 AM »

This whole thing is making me nervous.

Don't be nervous!  This is fun.   8)

It's like a treasure hunt...just be prepared with your seating charts, your credit cards and no distractions!  Oh, and lots of caffeine.   Wink:
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 10:36:41 AM »

I just got off the phone with Ticketmaster and I asked them about pre-sales.  They told me I can check online on Thursday to see if it will show whether there will be pre-sales for Friday.  I can't work.  I will be so upset if I can't get tickets.

Lorraine in Connecticut
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 11:10:01 AM »

All the pre-sales mean is "internet pre-sales" - if you have access to a computer, you can order a day ahead.  Right now I believe Tampa is the only venue showing a pre-sale for Friday morning at 10:00.  The AI2 concert has a pre-sale and you had to go into the Kraft (the sponsor) internet site and acquire a password (real easy) and use it but I think the internet pre-sale will just be open to anybody with a computer.
And remember -  if you go anywhere to stand in line for a ticket (i.e., the venue itself, Hechts Dept Store or a dept store with a tickermaster counter) you will need cash!  They do not accept credit or debit cards.

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 06:07:19 PM »

Could you give me more information on buying tickets at Hecht's Dept. Store?  There is one 25 minutes from my house.  Do you do it at 10:00 Sat. morning on the 24th? Do they have the same seats available as on line?

Thanks!

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 07:13:02 AM »

I would call Hechts and see if they have a ticketmaster counter or call ticketmaster to see where they sell tickets in your area.  You have to go there on the morning on the 24th and get in line - sometimes they give out numbers so people can't jump in front of you.  Take cash with you - remember, they don't take credit or debit cards at those places.

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
CLAYROX1
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 11:00:12 AM »

OK..anyone...I am in NJ and since they are not coming here we r going to PA.Now tell me..which is closer to NJ....Philly or Wilkes BArre PA????Anyone know????
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2004, 01:15:13 PM »

Now tell me..which is closer to NJ....Philly or Wilkes BArre PA????Anyone know????

Which part of New Jersey?  The south and central part are very close to Philly.  Wilkes Barre is much farther north and West than Philly.

Angelis
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 07:57:54 PM »

I would also check out the distance to the long island show - i usually go to MapQuest.com, enter the venue and my home address to see how long of a drive it will be...good luck!
Kali561
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 09:52:39 PM »

I hope everyone gets tickets to the concert.  I am very lucky to know someone that has contacts with our coliseum in Winston-Salem, NC and they are suppose to be getting us great seats.  Good luck to all!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 10:01:03 PM »

The presale password for almost all venues appears to be

claykelly

Good luck!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx