gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 398
Total: 398

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK JANUARY 14  (Read 4131 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: January 14, 2004, 08:22:02 AM »

Today's words of wisdom:

"There is nothing more properly the language of the heart than The Wish."
-Anon

(I wish it were Friday.)

Here is some news!

CLAY AIKEN, KELLY CLARKSON PLAN JOINT HEADLINING TOUR

Justified and Stripped is history. The next hot joint tour might as well be called Invisible and Thankful.

Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson will join forces for a co-headlining arena trek kicking off in late February. Tour dates will be announced later in the week, and a spokesperson for both artists said on Tuesday (January 13) that the outing will hit about 30 cities.

"We are thrilled about sharing the stage for this momentous next step in both of our careers," Aiken wrote on his Web site.

In a recent interview, the "American Idol 2" runner-up said he was proud to be associated with the show and fellow contestants like Clarkson.

"I think the public is looking for something that they can call their own, and that's part of the reason that 'American Idol' and Ruben [Studdard] and Kelly and myself have been successful, because we've been able to be an artist that the public can relate to," he explained. "And hopefully we'll continue to be someone that they can relate to."

Aiken's next single will be "The Way," his spokesperson said, a song Enrique Iglesias co-wrote (see "Will Clay Aiken 'Carry' Fans Or Show Them 'The Way'?"). He's currently reading video treatments from various directors.

And while Clarkson recently said she would continue acting (see "Kelly Clarkson Says You'll Hear A Lot More Passion On Next LP"), Aiken isn't quite ready for "From Clay to Kelly."

"I'm not much of an actor. I don't know, we'll see," said the Raleigh native, who as a child starred in a production of "The Sound of Music" with fellow North Carolinian Frankie Muniz. "Maybe I need to take a class or two first."

Fans are more likely to see Aiken in another reality show.

"If 'The Amazing Race' is ready for a celebrity edition, sign me up," Aiken said of the show he originally wanted to audition for, until a friend talked him into "American Idol." "I'm like their best promoter, I really am. 'The Amazing Race' was a fast-paced show, there was action, there was definitely something happening. And with 'American Idol' there's something happening, there's a progression to the show. Otherwise I'm not a real big reality show fan. Now, I guess I'm kind of a product of a reality show, so I shouldn't be saying that."
—Corey Moss

MTV LINK
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 08:24:20 AM »

CLAY AIKEN HEADS TO STUCKEYVILLE

January 14, 2004
The hit NBC show "ED" is known for its wide array of wacky characters, but on the January 23rd episode, they're adding an "American Idol" to their line up of loveable players. Ballad belter CLAY AIKEN makes a special appearance and ET's CHRIS BOOKER was on the set for his big acting debut!
Clay, whose part wasn't much of a stretch, says he doesn't think he did too badly. "Well, I had three lines and I played myself, so I think I did pretty well, we'll give me a B+."
"I'm coming to the rescue of some of the characters who make fools of themselves and embarrass themselves and then get other people in trouble," he says describing the episode. "It's kind of like an apology from one character to the other one and he pulls some strings and tries to get me to come to Stuckeyville to perform."
The smooth crooner says he was a little surprised when he was first asked to do the show. "We got the phone call and the first thing I said was 'Ed, wasn't that the show we were up against last year? 'American Idol' was up against them, right?'"
Clay, who has spent most of his time either singing or studying for his degree in Special Education, says TV is something all together different from what he's used to.
"It's weird to be here and to have to be doing it over and over and over again," he says. "I'm used to doing the live thing -- you do it once and you get it. With this thing you do it 20 times to get one song done."
Although the singer's schedule has been jam-packed, he thought the show "Ed" was worth squeezing in some time for.
"It's a really good show and it's very family-oriented so I was excited about the opportunity."
For more on Clay's first acting job, check out tonight's ET!

YAHOO ET LINK
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 08:27:31 AM »

DONATION MENTION IN ROLLING STONE

CLAY AIKEN performed two songs during halftime at the University of North Carolina Charlotte's basketball game on January 10th. That day the singer presented the school with $20,000 . . .

ROLLING STONE LINK
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 08:32:34 AM »

YEAR END MUSIC NUMBERS REVEAL BEYOND INTERNET SALES, THERE ARE NO CLEAR TRENDS

"Most music lovers don't stick to just one type of music. They want to hear a variety of pop and hip-hop and some country-crossover. Historically, Top 40 radio stations have always played what was popular regardless of genre. I don't think this year was any different from others."
(snip)
Another favorite in Kansas City was Clay Aiken of "American Idol" fame. His "Measure of a Man" album finished 13th locally (18,862 copies sold), and his single "Bridge Over Troubled Water/This Is The Night" was No. 1 in Kansas City, selling nearly 8,000 copies after its release in June.

KANSAS CITY STAR LINK (registration required)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 08:36:48 AM »

FINAL HDD NUMBERS

Last week 27
This week 37
Units        28,146
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 08:47:22 AM »

CNN People in the News 2/07
Featured Artists

Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Shania Twain
About: 02/07/2004 - American Idols / Shania Twain
The making of an American idol-the transformation of Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken from virtual unknowns into mega-selling pop stars. The Grammy-nominated star's journey through poverty and tragedy to become a hit-making country cross-over.

See CLAY TV for the most current appearance schedule information!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 09:05:13 AM »

'IDOLS' READY TO HIT ROAD

Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken, veterans of the "American Idol" TV talent show, will begin a 30-date arena tour Feb. 24 at the Charlotte (N.C.) Coliseum, Bulletin has learned

BILLBOARD
cjrmax
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 09:08:46 AM »

The next hot joint tour might as well be called Invisible and Thankful.

And what an awful name that would be!  Pamela, I think you need to submit your name for the tour: Thankful for the Measure of a Man tour!!  Wink:
houstonclayfan
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 10:40:43 AM »

If 'The Amazing Race' is ready for a celebrity edition, sign me up," Aiken said

Hmm....  Amazing Race, are you listening ????   I think you would have at least a couple viewers.  :mrgreen:
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 11:01:18 AM »

REMINDER*REMINDER*REMINDER*REMINDER

VOTE FOR INVISIBLE ON TRL!

Invisible was #1 on Friday!  Invisible was #1 on Monday! Invisible was #1 on Tuesday!

According to jake, Britney is debuting a new video this week.  So we must continue to vote with all our heart to keep Invisible high on the chart until it's retirement!

9 more days

Remember there is a new sticky thread in the GOT CLAY forum for all TRL discussion now!

ThanX!

You can vote on the Net or by phone (AI flashback!)
It's more effective to call in your votes if at all possible, because 1 phone call=50 online votes. Your phoned in votes count for the next day's show, and no calls are accepted on the weekends.  

You can only call in thirty minutes prior to the show.  TRL starts at 5pm EST, so that means you can call from 4:30pm-5pm EST, and then adjust for your time zone.

You can vote online all day, but you can only call in 3 times a day per phone line.  

The phone number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV (1-800-342-5688)
Call 30 minutes prior to the show starting!

To vote online, go to TRL VOTE.
Vote online all day!

I think it's very important for Clay's video to get lots of airplay.  It's a desirable demographic.  Since MTV hardly ever shows videos anymore, outside of TRL, it's our best chance of seeing it, and it's our best opportunity to help Clay in this demographic.

Go to ABSOLUTE TRL for daily recaps!
Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 11:33:14 AM »

20 Questions With Clay Aiken!!!

Q: What movie or TV show do you take guilty pleasure in watching?

A: Reba

From the Invisible TRL Street Team email today.    Laughing:
Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 11:47:25 AM »

Recently it was announced that Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson will tour together, beginning in late February. Is this a good idea?

On the face of it, it's clear why the promoters think this combination is a winner. Both Clay and Kelly were American Idol stars. Both, most likely, will continue to be associated with the Idol contest. Kelly, of course, recently competed in the World Idol contest (though she went home trophy-less). I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay make a guest cameo appearance on this year's American Idol series.

But those superficial similarities aside, these two performers are far from artistic soul mates.

Whether or not they're even in the same genre is arguable. Kelly is closer to mainstream pop, or pop as it is defined as mainstream by today's radio market. Clay fits into no pigeonhole in today's pop landscape. For lack of a better category, he gets played on Adult Contemporary stations. But he's tapped into a completely different audience, one that was often completely turned away from contemporary music until he came along.

Whether you like Aiken or not, you have to admit: he's in a category all his own. Unlike many artists, whose sound is shaped by imitating what's popular today, Clay is just Clay. Talented, absolutely, but following no prefabricated path toward musical fulfillment.

So...Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken touring together? Well, okay, but it's a bit of strange fit.

JAMES MAGUIRE LINK

Hit the link!  There's a poll... Wink:
Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 11:48:50 AM »

CLARKSON, AIKEN READY TO HIT ROAD

By Ray Waddell

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Kelly Clarkson (news) and Clay Aiken, veterans
of the "American Idol" TV talent show, will begin a 30-date arena tour
Feb. 24 at the Charlotte (N.C.) Coliseum.

The outing is expected to be officially announced Monday, the same day
a third edition of "Idol" begins on Fox. Tickets go on sale Jan. 24.

Another "Idol" veteran, Ruben Studdard, will embark on his own
headlining tour this spring. The dates will likely kick off in March or April,
according to Jeff Frasco, responsible agent for "Idol"-related tours at Creative Artists Agency.

The debut "American Idol" tour in 2002, featuring the 10 finalists,
grossed $8.1 million and drew more than 258,500 fans to 30 shows. The 2003 tour nearly doubled that take, at almost $16 million and 411,000 attendance from 41 shows.

A third "American Idols" tour is planned for this summer, likely to start in
July.

YAHOO LINK
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »

ASK CLAY A QUESTION

Give a shout out or ask Clay a question on Ryan's show!  Go HERE, click on THURS, click on CLAY AIKEN.  

Submit your question!  

Good Luck!
playingclay
Claymaniac

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 04:16:47 PM »

dol' Creation Makes Fuller a Fortune

2 hours, 17 minutes ago

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - Simon Fuller is no professional singer. He does not dance and he doesn't play an instrument. Yet there he is — collecting a fortune at the top of the pop charts. As creator of the "American Idol" franchise, Fuller manages every aspect of the careers of Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Kelly Clarkson (news) and all other instant "Idol" celebrities.

AP Photo

But Fuller earns far more than the typical 15 to 20 percent that most managers keep from their clients' gross earnings. As the "American Idol" phenomenon launches its third season Jan. 19 on Fox, Fuller's franchise is raising questions about exploitation and the price of fame.

Fuller says that as the primary imaginative force behind these artists, and the one with the connections to transform Clarkson from struggling Texas waitress to pop diva, he deserves a larger percentage of their earnings.

"If you think of Andrew Lloyd Webber, if he creates 'Phantom of the Opera' he owns it. He hires Michael Crawford (news) to take the lead. Crawford doesn't get a cut of 'Phantom of the Opera,' and no one questions that," Fuller said. "My deals are the best in the world. I create 'Phantom of the Opera' and then say to Michael Crawford, 'Let's be 50-50 partners, or 60-40 — whatever the deal is.'"

Fuller, a 43-year-old British music mogul, is the longtime manager of Annie Lennox (news) and former manager of the "Spice Girls (news - web sites)," whose world-conquering "girl power" image he takes credit for creating. Fuller first launched the "Idol" concept in Britain, where it was known as "Pop Idol," and then transformed the franchise into a worldwide phenomenon.

In an interview last summer, he described many of his "Idol" relationships as "partnerships" in which he receives from 25 to 50 percent of all earnings. The Sunday Times of London estimated that Fuller earned about $44 million in 2002 and $60 million in 2003, second to Paul McCartney (news)'s $67 million on last year's list of highest-paid entertainment figures.

It's unclear how much the "American Idol" stars have taken home for their work. But in 2002, the first "Pop Idol" winner Will Young (news) collected an estimated $750,000, according to the Sunday Times.

Fuller's company, 19 Entertainment, oversees not just the recording deal for "American Idol" stars, but also controls merchandising, touring, sponsorship and movie deals.

Fuller promises top "American Idol" contestants a management contract with 19 Entertainment and a prearranged recording contract: with RCA Records in the case of Clarkson and Aiken, and J Records for Studdard. Both RCA and J are Bertelsmann Music Group companies run by Clive Davis, an industry legend who engineered the creation of Whitney Houston (news), the Grammy-winning comeback of Santana and the breakthrough of Alicia Keys (news), among others.

"Most artists working on the old-fashioned model, how do you keep track of your publisher, your record company, your merchandise, your sponsorship agent, your touring agent? There could be 10 different people dealing with different areas of your life," Fuller said. "This is one-stop shopping."

But Gary Fine, a Los Angeles-based entertainment attorney, advised one client not to participate in the first "Idol" series after examining the contestant's contract. Fine does not condemn Fuller's deals, but said he would not recommend them for everyone.

"If I had an artist whose music was quirky and might take time to develop, then Simon's organization is not the one I would recommend getting involved with," he said. "On the other hand, if I have a client whose primary interest is fame and fortune, then Simon's organization is certainly worth considering."

The deal Fine saw also required "Idol" winners to participate against their international counterparts in the "World Idol" show — for $1,400.

Another section of the "American Idol" contract Fine disclosed described the aggressive image manipulation the performers must agree to, stating that the show "may reveal and/or relate information about me of a personal, private, intimate, surprising, defamatory, disparaging, embarrassing or unfavorable nature, that may be factual and/or fictional."

More independent-minded performers might balk at the way Fuller fashions a performer's image (such as Aiken's metamorphosis from geeky gawker to slim slickster). Fuller also tells them what to perform and where, like Kelly Clarkson and "Idol" runner-up Justin Guarini's movie flop, "From Justin to Kelly." (That film, like 1997's "Spice World," was written by Fuller's brother Kim.)

And stardom is not guaranteed: Guarini's album sold poorly, and he was subsequently dropped from RCA.

The final contracts between Fuller and his current batch of "Idol" stars have not been disclosed, and Fuller refused to discuss specific details of the arrangements. He said performers are free to hire their own lawyers to oversee the deals.

Fine isn't sure that would make much difference. The contract he saw was non-negotiable and "gave so much power and control to Simon and his organizations that there would be little a lawyer could do to prevent certain things from happening."

Is there a way for the performers to get better deals? Maybe. They could work their way up through small clubs, make contact with talent scouts and spend years trying to get the attention of managers who have far less clout than Fuller.

Yet when a manager takes such a huge piece of a novice performer's earnings, it's hard for some not to view that deal with skepticism.

"It unfortunately takes two for exploitation," said Jayne Wallace, spokeswoman for the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. "And in the U.S. music business, people are so desperate to get in they're willing to sign everything away."

She would not comment specifically on Fuller's practices, but said generally "most artists would sign a bad deal to get the break."

When it came to the Spice Girls, Fuller sees himself as the one holding the short end of the stick, insisting that his work made them a success.

The Spice Girls broke in 1996 after being recruited by an audition ad that read, "No singing or dancing experience necessary." Fuller was fired in late 1997 amid a power struggle with the singers. Six months later, the group fell apart.

"I'd be lying if I didn't say there was an element of satisfaction about it," Fuller says now. He has made peace, however, with Emma "Baby Spice" Bunton and Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham, who have rejoined with his management firm to launch their solo careers.

"With the Spice Girls, I was the partner, I was the sixth member of the group," he said. "More than that, I was the leading light in the group, but it was never reflected contractually because I was just the manager."

The "partnerships" he forges with talent now, he said, prevent him from being dumped.

Ruben Studdard told The Associated Press last summer that he had no complaints with Fuller, and described him a helpful career-shaping force who watched out for his well-being.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, however, Studdard wondered if "American Idol" had taken advantage of the contestants, citing commercials they filmed for free as part of the broadcast.

"Without the show, we wouldn't be recording artists," he said. "But we did a lot of commercials, dawg. ... We were exploited but not exploited. It just taught us a lot about the business. 'American Idol' is what we like to call a crash course on the entertainment industry."

___

I'm not good at these kinds of post so the moderators can change it to a more exceptable format.

But it is definitely interesting

Love my clayshake---warm milk and a couple of scoops of vanilla icecream....especially at bedtime.
Keeper of the wind to blow the shirts up.
shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 05:07:38 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the Ryan show.  Sent in three questions and I hope one of them gets' used! Thanks again.

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!
Claymate16
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 04:53:58 AM »

Q: What movie or TV show do you take guilty pleasure in watching?

A: Reba  

OMG this is my guilty pleasure too! Coincidence? I think not!  8)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx