gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK FEB. 24  (Read 3939 times)
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« on: February 24, 2010, 05:29:50 AM »

wave Morning!

Pop voice pipes up for gays
BY MATT EHLERS - Staff writer

RALEIGH -- Clay Aiken will take the stage at the convention center Saturday night to do something he has never done before: deliver a speech about gay rights.

But don't expect him to pound his fist and scream for the right to get married.

"There are people who are loud and make noise, and there are people who are deliberate and slow and steady," Aiken said during an interview this week at a downtown coffee shop. "Right now, at this point in my life, I feel like a slow and steady person."

Aiken, a Raleigh native and platinum-selling pop singer, made headlines in 2008 when he appeared on the cover of People magazine with the headline, "Yes, I'm gay." This weekend, he will speak as part of the Human Rights Campaign Carolinas gala at the Raleigh Convention Center. Meredith Baxter, the "Family Ties" actress who recently came out of the closet on the "Today" show, also will deliver a speech.

News & Observer

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:33:21 AM »

Womens’ conference provides opportunity for inspiration, networking

The guest speakers were Lonnell Freeman Battle, chairperson of the English Department and the director of summer studies program at Paul VI Catholic School in Virginia, and Julie Beck, director of student activities at Mount Olive College in Mount Olive.

<snip>

Meet new people — “I met the governor of Idaho on a cruise,” she said. “You will never know who you will meet.” This philosophy has helped her meet Barry Williams of the Brady Bunch, American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken and the first female winner of the Iditarod, Libby Reynolds.

The Daily Hearld (Roanoke Rapids)

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »

More Clay news for you...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2010-02-24-clay-aiken_N.htm

Clay Aiken to give speech in N.C. about gay rights

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — More than a year after disclosing he is gay, Clay Aiken is speaking before a gay-rights event in his hometown.

Aiken will deliver a speech about gay rights this weekend at the Human Rights Campaign Carolinas gala in Raleigh, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Wednesday. Actress Meredith Baxter, who recently said she is a lesbian, also will deliver a speech. ...

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »

And another Clay article...he's made the New York Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/24/arts/AP-US-People-Clay-Aiken.html?_r=2&src=tp

Clay Aiken Takes NC Stage for Gay Rights

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- More than a year after disclosing he is gay, Clay Aiken is speaking before a gay-rights event in his hometown.

Aiken will deliver a speech about gay rights this weekend at the Human Rights Campaign Carolinas gala in Raleigh, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Wednesday. Actress Meredith Baxter, who recently said she is a lesbian, also will deliver a speech.

The 31-year-old Raleigh native, pop singer and 2003 ''American Idol'' runner-up said he wrote his own speech after remarks provided for him proved too political, including a slam aimed at former President George W. Bush.

''I don't feel like this is the place to be horribly politically charged and bash people and talk about the wrongs that have been done,'' he said. ''My goal is to be hopeful, that it's time for everyone to have equal rights.'' ...

clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »

And here's a Huffington Post mention:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/24/clay-aiken-talks-gay-righ_n_475558.html?ref=fb

Clay Aiken Talks Gay Rights, Family's Reaction To His Coming Out

| 02/24/10 03:36 PM | AP

RALEIGH, N.C. — More than a year after disclosing he is gay, Clay Aiken is speaking before a gay-rights event in his hometown.

Aiken will deliver a speech about gay rights this weekend at the Human Rights Campaign Carolinas gala in Raleigh, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Wednesday. Actress Meredith Baxter, who recently said she is a lesbian, also will deliver a speech. ...

clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »

And this article has a positive video feed with it... (I hope someone can bring that link over...)

http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/top_stories/622505/clay-aiken-to-headline-gay-rights-event-in-raleigh?ap=1&MP4

Clay Aiken to headline gay rights event in Raleigh

By: Johnny Chappell

RALEIGH – Gay rights advocates are preparing to hold a major event in Raleigh this weekend.

The Human Rights Campaign's Carolinas Gala is set for Saturday night at the Raleigh Convention Center. Clay Aiken will headline the event, returning to his hometown to speak at the organization's second-largest annual fundraiser nationwide.

"We're really excited,” said the HRC's Peyam Braghassa. "I volunteer with the Human Rights Campaign, and this is the first time in many years that the event has come back to the Triangle."

And organizers say events stretching from Thursday through Sunday are open to all. ...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx