gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 249
Total: 249

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dev's Travels  (Read 7954 times)
claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »

Here are the highlights from our recent Caribbean Cruise of December 2009  We visited the islands of Aruba and Curacao, which are part of the Dutch Antilles Islands.  We were about 25 off the coast of Venezuela.  Unfortunately they're not in chronological order. 

The first picture is Phil and me at the beginning of Formal Night, which also happened to be Christmas Eve!  We dined in the Pinnacle Restaurant of the ship on shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad (made at the table!) rib-eye steak, creamed spinach, baked potato and a dessert of creme broulee (3 different types-vanilla, cappuciano and chocolate---beyond heavenly!)  Since we are both non-drinkers, they served us a bottle of non-alcoholic merlot to accompany the meal.  A very nice touch!

After our meal we attended a Christmas production put on by the Indonesian and Phillipino crew members.  It was gorgeous.  We then attended an Ecumenical Christmas Eve Candelight Service, followed by a night of dancing under the stars on the upper deck.  Beautiful memories!

Heading out to sea after a day in Aruba:

The streets of Curacao:

Posing next to a trash can in the shopping district of Aruba..Whatever!  Laughing

"To thine ownself be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."  ~ William Shakespeare
"Life is just one damn thing after another!" ~ Uncle Julian
Jan
UltimateFan

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »

THEA

WHAT WONDERFUL PICTURES, ESPECIALLY THE ONE OF YOU AND PHIL AT THE SPECIAL DINNER. ALSO LOVE THE ONE OF YOU IN THE WHITE BLOUSE.
THE COLORS OF THE HOUSES AND SHOPS ARE SO PRETTY. LOVE IT WHEN HOUSES ARE NOT ALL WHITE.

AND THE WEATHER SEEMS TO HAVE COOPERATED WITH THE TRIP TOO!!!!!

THANKS FOR THE VICARIOUS TRIP!

LUV
JEANNE

Because of you, I am confident enough to say that there is a better day on the way, even when I cannot see it.
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »

Thea, Al and I were in Curacao many years ago, loved all the colored buildings and the market full of fresh fish, fruit and wonderful delights!  We were not on a cruise, just there for a holiday.  I remember admiring all the cruise ships bringing people in for their stop in Curacao!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »

Thea,

Beautiful pictures!  And what a treat to see the warm, sunny scenery in the middle of winter!  I enjoyed every photo!  Especially liked seeing you and Phil!   Thanks for sharing with us!

Hug

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
clayfannj
UltimateFan

Remember, CHEESE is a comfort food.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »

Thea..Ditto to what Prissy said...  Seeing the sunshine just warms my soul...And you and Phil clean up "PRETTY GOOD!!!"...

Looks like a wonderful trip. I was in CuracaoChristmas week many years ago with my husband PRE children...  Loved the little colored buildings.....So quaint and so picturesque... Seems like they haven't changed....Glad you had a good time...

It's NEVER ENOUGH!!!

Honorary Southern Belle

OBSESSIVE BIRD WATCHER

Tracking the Red -Crested Warbler
"I may be old, but I'm strong and lusty!"..Wm. Shakespeare
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:43:05 AM »

THEA, got excited when I saw you posted your pictures. You know I could almost feel the warmth as I looked at the pictures, I bet the sun was so nice and warm.  Looking out my window right now at the snow and cold I wish I was rich and could spend the winter there.  It means so much to me to get to travel with everyone thru the wonderful photos they post.  Thank you so much !!!   

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »

Thank you so much for all of the nice comments!  I'm happy to read that others here have visited Aruba and/or Curacao.  Thanks for sharing your special memories of these visits tywith all of us. 

Seeing the bright colors, palm trees and feeling the warm tropical breezes has helped to make this deep freeze a little more tolerable!

PRISSY, I originally had wanted to post these photos in the Travel Thread either you (or JAN?) had started way back when, but I couldn't find it!  That's why I ended up starting my own thread!!!  Laughing

"To thine ownself be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."  ~ William Shakespeare
JoAnn Moody
SuperFan

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »

Thea,

I just "found out" about your lovely photos this morning(Wed) and thank you for sharing!  They're wonderful.  Did you purchase that lovely necklace you had on with your white blouse on the trip?  I'd like to see more if you post them.

I would walk a mile for Clay's smile.
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »

Wonderful photos, Thea!  Clapping Clapping Clapping It looks so warm, and is a beautiful location. It is good to finally "meet" Phil, too!

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
cl4clay
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S FAVORITE COOKIE CHEF

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »

Thea - I just saw your wonderful pictures. How many cookies would it take for you to take me along next time (I'll pay my way!!!!)  Laughing Laughing What a wonderful sight!!!!! You are looking so well and I'm so happy you had such a great vacation. Bless you, honey.

CLAY'S PASTRY CHEF
Julie,JJ and Liz - Our OCD guardian angels
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »

Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping

More, please, Thea!!!

How exciting to see your trip in photos. You and Phil look like you're having a wonderful time. Who'd a thunk of Christmas in the Carribean except you?!?!?

So, tell us and show us, what did you bring home with you other than happy memories and photos?  You cannot tell me you didn't bring something beautiful back with you.  bigsmile

Cuacao is a charming, warm place and so are the people. I loved it there, too. Aruba is such a different world and they're so near each other.    Go figure.  Did you go to Venzuela, too?

ROFLMAO  Evelyn, you are so cute.   ROFLMAO

GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »

GORGEOUS PIX, THEA.  MAKES ME WANT TO JUMP ON THE NEAREST PLANE.  I LOVE THOSE COLORED BUILDINGS.  I REMEMBER SOME FROM NASSAU AND JAMAICA.  KEEP LOOKING WHEN YOU GET NAUSEOUS FROM THIS COLD.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »

What a treat, indeed, to share in your lovely vacation this way, Thea!  I'll chime in with my fellow posters...fab to see you and Phil having such a swell time.  I'd not mine a daily recap of your entire trip...your descriptions are so enticing...you could write for the cruise lines...really!  And...one of my favorite children's book, The Cay, is set in that area...it made the photos even more fascinating.  Gotta agree with Jan...love the homes in the lovely colors...so appealing!  Thanks indeed!!

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »

Did you purchase that lovely necklace you had on with your white blouse on the trip?  I'd like to see more if you post them.
wave JOANN!  No, actually I had purchased that particular necklace and earrings (along with a few other sets) in St. Kitts a couple of years ago.   In the lower level of the resort we were staying at (dangling participle, sorry!  Paranoid), they had local artisans selling various handmade jewelry pieces.  Would you believe each piece (i.e. set of earrings or necklace) was only $10? 

It looks so warm, and is a beautiful location. It is good to finally "meet" Phil, too!

wave FRANKIE!  It was so nice and warm and sunny there.  And I'm glad you've finally "met" Phil!  He's a good guy, a wonderful travel companion  and I love him to pieces!!!  Laughing heartbeat

How many cookies would it take for you to take me along next time (I'll pay my way!!!!) 

wave EVELYN!  I'm salivating just at the thought of your cookies!     I'll bet you and BOZENA would have a heck of a great time on a cruise like this!!! 

claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »

So, tell us and show us, what did you bring home with you other than happy memories and photos?  You cannot tell me you didn't bring something beautiful back with you. 

Cuacao is a charming, warm place and so are the people. I loved it there, too. Aruba is such a different world and they're so near each other.    Go figure.  Did you go to Venzuela, too?

wave BECKY!  Actually we didn't do as much souvenier shopping this time as we usually do.  I guess we decided we're running out of room to display them!  We did buy a cute little wood birdhouse shaped like a thatched hut...We'll put it out in the tree once the weather warms up.  I also bought a beautiful lithograph of a beach house in Aruba.  I need to have it framed.  It was painted by the owner of one of the local art shops near the dock.  The colors will go perfectly with my new living room/dining room decor.  Finally, I bought a pair of Swarovski crystal drop earrings to wear with semi-formal attire.  I'm actually wearing them in the photo of Phil and myself, but they're hard to see in the dim light of the ship's restaurant.    Last but not least,   I bought Phil a beautiful rayon blend tropical shirt to wear in the summer and on cruises to come.

Very interesting observation about Aruba vs. Curacao.  Frankly I wasn't that impressed by Aruba.  Curacao was much more "tourist friendly", quaint and "alive".  Possibly my feelings towards Aruba have been tainted by the unsolved murder of that American teenager on vacation in Aruba a few years ago.????

GORGEOUS PIX, THEA.  MAKES ME WANT TO JUMP ON THE NEAREST PLANE.  I LOVE THOSE COLORED BUILDINGS.  I REMEMBER SOME FROM NASSAU AND JAMAICA.  KEEP LOOKING WHEN YOU GET NAUSEOUS FROM THIS COLD.
wave GWENN!  Yup, that's exactly what I've been doing today...looking at those photos to try to stay warm!

I'd not mine a daily recap of your entire trip...your descriptions are so enticing...you could write for the cruise lines...really!  And...one of my favorite children's book, The Cay, is set in that area...it made the photos even more fascinating.  Gotta agree with Jan...love the homes in the lovely colors...so appealing!  Thanks indeed!!
wave JOHANNA, thank you for the compliment.  However, I am not half the writer you are.  But I will be happy to give you a basic rundown of our itinerary.

Day 1  Embark on the Eurodam at Ft. Lauderdale.  By about 6 p.m. were at sea.  Until we got into the Southern Caribbean, it was really cold!  It's a good thing I had brought a jacket and some long slacks!   cold
Day 2 We were supposed to stop at a private island in the No. Caribbean which is owned by the cruise line;  however, unfortunately they had to "scrap" that plan because the weather had caused 40 feet of beach erosion.  So much for the day of lounging on the sandy beach and enjoying a beach buffet!

So...Day 2 was also an "at sea" day!!!

Day 3  At sea

Day 4  At sea

Day 5  Aruba.  We shopped the touristy spots along the beach and then walked through the very "high-end" mall not far away....We're talking Givenchy, Hermes, Louis Vitton, Dolce & Gabana (sp.?) yada yada.  I don't know where the money is coming from to sustain such stores, but I suspect that the wealthy Venezuelan oil businessmen and high-stakes gamblers (lots of gambling on Aruba) keep the economy "moving" in Aruba.

Day 6  Curacao.  One of our all-time favorite ports of call!  As seen in the photos, the architecture, esp. the gorgeous exterior colors are a dream come true for a tourist.  We took a silly little trolley, but I ended up talking to the ladies sitting across from me instead of looking at the sights!  Typical me!   Laughing  Phil took all of the pictures while I was yapping away!!!  Paranoid  Laughing

Day 6  At sea.  Christmas Eve!

Day 7  At sea.  Christm Day!

Day 8  Disembarkment at Ft. Lauderdale.  Had to go through customs and present our passports. 

Disembarkment at Ft. Lauderdale. 

Things we did on the ship.  Eat, shop, eat, sleep, go to live shows (I guess this is where the American Idol rejects end up as Simon Cowell always says), go to the ship's movie theatre, listen to the entertainers in the various cocktail lounge (Sam the Piano Man, "Keisha and the HALcats" (HAL stands for Holland American Lines!  ), The "Adagio Strings" string quartet, and of course the Karaoke bar.  (I  DIDNOT participate!  Laughing).  We also did line dancing on the top deck and did a lot of sunbathing, reading, sleeping, etc.  At night before going to bed we'd just sit out on our private veranda and stare at the night sky and the ocean....my favorite part of cruising!

Anyway, I hope that gives you an idea of how much we enjoyed cruising this Christmas.  However, ina  few years we will definitely be going with our sons and their wives and hopefully grandchildren!!!!

InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »

Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping

Sasha
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 03:58:27 AM »

Thea great picutres..   

Sasha

Liz, JJ and Julie our CLaymaniancs Angels
Supporting Clay 100%
Offical member of the RBT- I miss my rbt buddy
claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »

Thanks, Sasha!  You're very kind!   Huggles

aikenismyidol
Enthusiastic

LML! <3

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »

Great pics Thea!!! The bright buildings are beautiful!

RisenAshes7@gmail.com
DONT FORGET ME

Miss you Debi, JJ, and Julie
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx