gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 424
Total: 424

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK NOV. 16  (Read 1425 times)
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« on: November 16, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »

Clay Aiken and Wake County Schools

Singer Clay Aiken of "American Idol" fame caused a bit of a stir recently when he voiced his displeasure with the new regime taking control of the Wake County Board of Education.

Aiken, who graduated from high school in North Raleigh, described the new majority, whose main goal seems to be to reverse the district's socioeconomic diversity policy, as "selfish idiots."

I wouldn't go so far as to call them that, but they could do more harm than good.

We'll have to see.

We also need to be fair. The proponents of the diversity policy have produced little empirical data to show that it's working.
If they believe in its efficacy as devoutly as they say they do, they ought to be willing to measure its impact.

Wake County has been an interesting case study in the philosophical battle over diversity and attendance zones versus neighborhood schools.

In Guilford County, it seems we long gave up the ghost on diverse schools, which today are logistically and politically impossible to achieve.

It fragments the community and shortchanges students on life lessons, such as getting along with others who may look or speak differently.

How many times have those blind spots played out among adults in racial division and bad public policy?

But there’s little hope or community will here for our inevitable march toward largely segregated have and have-not schools.

That's too bad, but, alas, it's the way things are.

News & Record

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx