gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 264
Total: 264

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? CHAPTER 2  (Read 50186 times)
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2009, 01:10:06 PM »

wave

Prissy - your yard is always beautiful - I love all of the water features you and Skip have added this summer.  Clapping

We have moved everything into the greenhouses today for the winter - not going to put the plastic on now, because we know we will have lots more warm weather before it gets cold for good here (sometime in December!)

I took some photos while I was outside.

Pepe - Ever since the Fall decorations have appeared, Priscilla P. Imatexan is no longer lonely  Laughing (I still think she needs a face so she can smile back at people!)

I cut all of the roses back, and since they were all full of buds, I brought them inside. This is  one of my favorite - a yellow rose with orange/red tips. I love yellow roses so much you would think I was from Texas!  Laughing

We have had so much rain this week that everything is blooming, including this red hibiscus:

This reminded me so much of debi - the first crop of zinnias was finished long ago, but volunteers plants came up from the seeds of the first zinnias (they are all over the garden). Today there is a butterfly on almost every bloom. I told my husband that I would like to cut some blooms to bring inside, but I don't want to take them away from the butterflys.  Laughing  I often wonder if zinnias came up in debi's flower bed this year (here they often come up from seeds left from the previous year). And of course debi would have taken much better butterfly photos!

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »

FRANKIE what great pictures, love the yellow roses.  I love the butterflies but don't think that Debi's zineas came up voluntary as the winter here is to cold. Love it that Priscilla has company even if he is a scrawcrow he has a wonderful heart and I do believe kind of likes Priscilla.   Laughing

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »

Frankie,

"Priscilla" has a boyfriend, I see!!  Laughing  Love the pictures of your flowers.  Our roses are still blooming and everything is green,

but

in Iowa it is Fall.  fall  Here are three pictures of one beautiful tree I saw in Cedar Rapids, a Red Maple:

More Fall pictures soon!!

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2009, 05:15:07 AM »

PRISSY, I noticed the other trees around the tree with the leaves have lost their leaves,  I wonder if it is a oak tree as they keep their leaves for a long time sometimes thru the winter.  I hope Skip remembers your greenhouse is waiting to get erected.  That would be a good place for your potdolls to hang out for the winter too.

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »

Pepe,

We shall see how long it takes for the Greenhouse to be erected!!!

I wish I had been able to get a leaf from that tree;  then we would know if it were a maple or oak! 

Here are some more Fall color pictures from our trip to Iowa.

Some very unusual "stunted" trees with twisted trunks

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »

Prissy - what beautiful trees! We have one maple in our side yard that has beautiful golden leaves in the Fall - the grandchildren love playing in them.

The weather is beautiful here (wish it could last!) I took a few photos in the yard this morning - click to enlarge:

Pepe - as you know, if Lewis sees dirt not being used, he plants something. This is the area of the yard (not even visible from our house) where we lost several large trees to a storm this Spring. The trees were so large that we ended up stacking them and burning them. This caused the grass there to die, so Lewis just planted turnip greens for the winter - he will replant the grass next Spring. (That is Jack in the photo, too).

As usual, I decorated for Halloween and Thanksgiving with scarecrows. We like to put Fall dcorations out here and pretend that we actually have Fall  Laughing These pumpkins are fake, because real ones  rot in the heat. As you see from the empty flower bed, we have still not lanscaped from our house remodel last year.

We have our new Thanksgiving flag out:

These are the daisies that granddaughter Laney gave me last Spring. I cut them back after blooming, and they have bloomed again, as you see - I think the blooms are larger for this Fall bloom:

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »

FRANKIE, I love daisies.  They will last all summer here until a killing frost hits.  What a shame that you lost those  big trees, it takes them many years to grow and a few minutes of a storm destroys them, hate to see that happen.  Good for Lewis for making use of the soil though!  Laughing

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »

Pepe - Just took a few photos of the winter garden for you - it has been snowing for 3 hours now  Jaw drop! (first time in 6-7 years), but nothing is sticking, at least so far!

Click on photo to enlarge:

Red Cabbage

Broccoli

Lettuce

Carrots

We also have regular cabbage and several beds of turnip greens/turnips (the chickens like those as much as we do - they will get greens all winter along with their chicken feed). All of these plants were grown from seed.

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »

FRANKIE, how wonderful to be able to grow all this in the winter months.  I am sure the snow won't kill the garden as long as  you don't get a killing freeze, in fact if  you get some snow to cover the plants it will insulate and keep them alive.  Thanks so much for the pictures, loved looking at them.  How do you like your new computer?  Is it a lot faster?

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »

wave

A while back I posted a photo of a limb that had fallen out of a maple tree. It had ferns growing on it - very common here - especially in the southern part of the state along the Gulf Coast. I tried then to take photos of the tree itself, but it still had leaves on it, and the ferns did not show up well. I was walking outside on New Years' Day and noticed that you could see the fern well - here are some photos: (Click To Enlarge)

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

FRANKIE, how cool is that.  I can really see it now. I was just at the recipe thread to see what you posted and half of it is gone I can't see it.  There is my post and than a post by JoAnn and the rest of the page is just plain black, very strange.

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »

Pepe - I just went back to the recipe thread to check - I can see what I posted, including the photos, but there is no post from either you or JoAnn - must have been a glitch in the system!

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2010, 04:58:51 PM »

Frankie,

That is really something how the fern is growing in that tree.  I don't think I've seen ferns growing in trees around here.  I will have to be more observant!

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »

Well, this may be my last ever post in the Garden Thread - hope we will have a new one on the new site................

I did not take the time to correct color or to crop photos.

Click to enlarge photos:

Pepe and Prissy - here is the basket hanger I bought this week at our dollar store - I bought 2 of them, and have no idea what kind of plant I will hang from them:

Lewis is busy moving the ferns out of the greenhouse - he has already moved all of the cactus out, too:

We moved Prissy's favorite day lilies to the small bed just off the deck - the small yellow ones that bloom all summer:

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »

The tomato tree has already been planted, but the baskets will have to go back inside the greenhouse this weekend when it turns cold again:

Pepe - I tried to get a shot of the orange and grapefruit trees for you - the little greenhouse is a mess - everything needs to be trimmed - this is the best I could do. The oranges (satsumas) are good, and I bet we have already picked 30 off of this little tree. If you look carefully, you can see the grapefruit behind the oranges. Lewis has the grapefruit tree tied to the greenhouse, because it is so overloaded with fruit:

These are the iris that Lewis moved from the front yard - he just put them all along the bank to the pond. Several have buds - we can't wait to see what colors we have. They had gotten too deep in the ground, and haven't bloomed for a long time:

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2010, 08:57:03 PM »

Frankie,

Great to see your pictures.  We will definitely start a new Garden Thread on the new site.  I know you have all of your garden pictures, and I have all of mine, too, in PHotobucket.  I also have some of Pepe's and Mary who used to post.  I believe I have a few of Jan's, too.

If I have a chance, I will go through the thread and save some of Debi's pictures and others, too. 

We did go out in the yard a bit today.  Dianthus plants lasted throughout the winter and Skip transplanted one from a pot in the backyard to an empty space around one of our trees in the front yard.  The rosemary plant we bought as a gift but never got to give, did so well through the winter and now has small purple blooms on it.  Skip planted in the pot where the dianthus had been. 

Daffodils and jonquils are starting to bloom; slowly!! 

He put a lot of irises in the bed around the left side of the pond and they are about a foot and a half tall.  They should be blooming soon.  Our rosebushes are green and look better than they did right after the snow(s).  Skip trimmed some crepe myrtles that are starting to hang over the pool.  We saw some large limbs down in the woods.  They will have to be sawed into smaller pieces and put out for trash and brush pick up.

The vinca (ground cover) in part of the woods is very green and has purple blooms.  Skip doesn't like the vinca, but I do.  It is a good ground cover and helps keep out weeds.

Thursday, March 11, we had our Pond Club Meeting as we do most months at the Botanic Gardens Building in Fort Worth.  Here are pictures from just outside the building.  The first picture has butterfly shapes with flowering plants;  the plants growing from the ground are Kale, dusty miller and pansies, and always they have several variety of plants in huge pots.

Clickable

I'm not sure that I ever posted the beautiful purple water lily we brought back from the Pond Convention in Houston last summer.  I'm not sure it survived the winter here, but I'm hoping it will come back! Fingers Crossed

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2010, 04:11:47 AM »

This will probably be the only thread I get to today.  Am taking my nebulizer and trying to breath as I am so congested and throwing up so sick to my stomach.  My stomach started really hurting a couple of days ago when I started on the morphine.  It really helps but have decided I am not able to take it.  That is what I was taking when I went into the hospital at Saginaw last fall.  I think that caused the problems of vomiting. 

FRANKIE, love, that hanging basket hook.  I have never, ever seen anything like that before, how unusual!!!!  Yep your Dollar store is sure different and nicer than ours is.  Loved all the pictures  you posted, I bet the iris near the pond will look so pretty. 

PRISSY, no I do not remember seeing that pond flower.  That is just breathtakingly beautiful.  Fabulous color.  Sure hope it made it thru the winter but I bet it did .  You don't have a severe winter there although I think you almost had a worse winter than we did this year.

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »

I JUST FINISHED PUTTING ALL OF THE POSTS AND PICTURES FROM THE GARDEN THREAD, CHAPTER 2, IN THE NEW SITE.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE NEW GARDEN THREAD!

http://claymaniacs.com/clayforums/index.php/topic,15.90.html

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx