gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? CHAPTER 2  (Read 50179 times)
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« on: June 17, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »

HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?

The original Garden Thread reached page 101 and 2000 posts, so I am starting a new chapter for us to continue posting garden pictures and about our gardens.

This is how it all began:

This is a thread for you to post pictures of your beautiful gardens and yards.  Some have posted some lovely pictures in the OCD, and I thought it would be fun to have  garden pictures all in one place.

Please share your gardens with us. 

Prissy

PS:  I knew the title for this thread was part of a poem.  It's actually from Mother Goose:

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
Silver bells and cockle-shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

Special memories of Debi/ydebi who posted many beautiful pictures of gardens and flowers, including her own little flower, Aisalynn, as we begin this new chapter of gardens.

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:14:30 AM »

I will start us off with some of the pictures ending our first Garden Thread.

Pepe has emailed me some pictures from her yard.

Hostas with some purple blooms and lilies

Beautiful flowers blooming

Here are some more beautiful pictures from Pepe.  I would love to sit on that porch with you, Pepe, and just enjoy the cool breezes and the gorgeous view.

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »

Jules shared with us some of her gorgeous container flowers.

wave I thought I'd share some pictures of the flowers and hydrangeas I've planted and placed in front of my house these last two days.

The ones with the blue flowers is called a 'Felicia' plant and supposed to attract butterflies.

My dad gave me this Alovera plant from his gardens about 2 years ago and this is the first time it is going to bloom any flowers. Can't wait to see. bigsmile

Jules

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:19:59 AM »

Frankie posted these pictures for us.

Our magnolia tree is beginning to bloom  Clapping I wish I knew how old it is. As you see, if you look closely, it begins to bloom from the bottom up, and is really beautiful when the blooms reach all of the way to the top: (That is our Yorkie Tuffy standing beneath the tree)

Lewis and the granddaughters wanted to grow some gourds and small "Jack Be Little" pumpkins, but could not grow them on the fence because the horses next door like to eat them. So he decided to let them run all over the small greenhouse - including the roof:

I think I have mentioned before that the small greenhouse is built out of old racks from a telephone company central office. They were going to be thrown away when new equipment was installed, and Lewis believes in recycling in the garden. This greenhouse has lasted for over 15 years now - we just cover it will heavy plastic every winter, and the plants do fine in it.

Deanna - do you still read this Thread? I have wondered many times if you and the grandchildren planted their garden - if so, I would love to see it! 

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:21:53 AM »

Here are some random photos from our yard. 

(Clickable so you can see a LARGE view!)

Gazebo shots!

Area by driveway

Fence between driveway and backyard

SKIP'S "TOMATO" TREE!
We lost limbs from this tree a while back due to high winds.  And we have decided to put the greenhouse in this area by the house (garage).  Instead of cutting the tree all the way down, we decided to make use of it.  Skip made a hole in the bottom of the coco baskets and  has planted tomato plants upside down in coco baskets and flowers in the top of the baskets.  Not all were planted when I took these pictures!!

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:25:32 AM »

Mary has sent me some flower pictures to post for her.

Picture 1 is petunias.

Picture 2 is picnic for 2. Gerber daises and peonies.

Pictures 3 and 4 are close up pictures of peonies.

Thank you Mary for these beautiful pictures.  We are always happy to have photos from you.

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 05:28:07 AM »

Here are some beautiful roses posted by Dudley/Linda.

MY ROSES ARE BLOOMING SOME MORE AND SOME HAVE BLOOMED THAT HADN'T ON MY LAST CAMERA TOUR AROUND THE YARD...

THESE ARE THE YELLOW KNOCKOUT ROSES....THEY BLOOM YELLOW AND THEN TURN WHITE SO WHEN SEVERAL ARE BLOOMING YOU END UP WITH YELLOW AND WHITE ROSES ON THE SAME BUSH....

THE ONE ON THE LEFT IS NEWER AND STILL YELLOW WHERE THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IS A DAY OR TWO OLDER AND ALREADY TURNING WHITE...

THIS IS ONE OF MY SIX SPATHPHYLLIUM BLOOMING NOW

SHIRLEY...THIS IS MY ORANGE IMPATIENT LIKE THE ONE YOU JUST GOT....AND SOME TOMATO PLANTS I NEED TO GET INTO THE GROUND AS THE ONE ALREADY HAS 2 BABY TOMATOES ON IT.....

Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »

Prissy, this is a wonderful way to start the next 100 pages!

We have had rain about 18 of the last 20 days and when the sun did poke out it wasn't for long. I'm still wearing my winter sweaters for the most part. Annoying!

Our garden and flowers are growing but many things are just beaten down by the rain.

Last week Norm passed a small garden center here in town and saw what he thought were tall snapdragons so he circled back and bought them. We haven't seen any tall ones in years. He went out and planted them in pots early this morning before the rain started again.
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »

Thank you for starting this new Thread, Prissy - it took me a while to find it!

Mary - We desperately need your rain - it is so hot here, and no rain in sight. The grass is dying (no way to water it), but we are trying to keep at least part of the garden and the flowers alive.

I went to the small zoo in Alexandra, Louisiana with the grandchildren yesterday (actual temperature 100 - heat index 110!  Laughing ) We were helped by the beautiful live oak trees. These photos do not do justice to just how pretty this little zoo is. There are wooden walkways throughout the zoo- people stay on the walkways, while the animals live in their open enclosures. some of the walkways are on ground level, then change, via ramps, to the tops of the trees, where you are very often looking down at the animals. Here are a couple of photos - Click To Enlarge:

This is just a shot of an elevated walkway - as you see, the walkway to the right leads back down to ground level:

Two shots of the live oaks - these photos do not do them justice. These are the tops of the trees - they are huge:

The building in the right corner of this photo is the zoo's animal hospital:

Prissy - these are for you and Skip. Many of the animal enclusures are built around a hige Koi pond. I bet the smallest Koi here weigh 4-5 pounds:

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »

Great pictures, Frankie!

That sure looks like a lot of koi in one place.  And they can really get huge.

Thanks to Michelle for placing the new Garden Thread in a "sticky" position!!

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »

Prissy - the grandchildren were feeding the Koi (they sell fish food at the zoo), so that is why there were so many in one spot. I wonder, though if they don't sometimes have to remove and either sell or donate Koi to other zoos - there are so many of them. This Koi pond is concrete, with freash water running in from many sides - it also has several waterfalls.

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »

Pepe has emailed me some lovely  pictures for the new Garden Thread:

My Japenese iris are starting to bloom. They are little minitures of the iris and the leaves are so neat as they sway in the breeze. Also my perfect lavendar Iris are now blooming.

Pepe's own little pot person, Jack

(Click on for larger pictures)

Beautiful pictures, Pepe, and Jack is looking good! Wink

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

PRISSY, glad you got my pictures and it was so nice of you to post them.  Wished everyone could see the Japenese Iris in person.  They are gorgeous in full bloom in between the thin leaves.  We are supposed to get storms tonight and tomorrow and possible hail so didn't want to wait to take the picture as the flowers and buds may get tore up, I pray they won't.  Yep Jack looks pretty good, I just love the little guy!!!!!!!!

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Anniebell
Claymaniac

God Bless The USA !

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

Pepe,
Your iris's are beautiful !! I love your pot person "Jack".
His feet and hat really add to how cute he is.  bigsmile

In the Cookies of Life
Friends are the Chocolate Chips !! Cookie
Sasha
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

Pepe:  love your yard it looks beautiful, the love views of the lake.  great irises......

Jules:  great Hyrangia, i have 4 bushes but they havent bloomed yet.  love the Alovice plant cant wait to see the flower.

Frankie:  lvoe the Magnolia trees, wish we could have them around here....  that zoo looks great.

Prissy:  love the tomato tree .

Dudley:  great roses .

Mary:  great flowers.

thanks fos posting everyone.  Myabe with the sun my garden will start growing hope the tomotoes dont rot with all this rain we have had.  so nice to see the sun today.

Sasha

Liz, JJ and Julie our CLaymaniancs Angels
Supporting Clay 100%
Offical member of the RBT- I miss my rbt buddy
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »

wave

I can't see Pepe's photos!  My computer tries, and tries, but they never show up. I clicked on the empty space where the photos were, and I did get the photo of Jack to come up (love him), but that did not work on the flower photos - I really need a new computer!!!!! (And when I find that money tree, I am buying one!  Laughing )

Sasha - I am going to send you some of our sunshine - we are over-blessed with it! So good to see you here.  Huggles

claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »

I can't see Pepe's photos!   My computer tries, and tries, but they never show up. I clicked on the empty space where the photos were, and I did get the photo of Jack to come up (love him), but that did not work on the flower photos - I really need a new computer!!!!! (And when I find that money tree, I am buying one!   )

FRANKIE, hitting the Shift button and clicking on the Refresh icon simultaneously.  Sometimes that will bring up the pictures.  It just worked for me.

BTW I am one of the official Garden Thread lurkers.  I come here every day just to admire all of the beautiful garden creations of all of you!   Clapping

"To thine ownself be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."  ~ William Shakespeare
"Life is just one damn thing after another!" ~ Uncle Julian
Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »

Sasha, I know what you mean about the tomatoes with all the rain. Ours are doing okay but they may be watery. For the last few years I have grown one tomato plant on the deck and the pot drains well. Norm is worried about his in the garden. He didn't plant as many as he has in the past because he is the only one who eats them.

Dudley, those roses are great.  I think that we may have to relocate ours. Only three are surviving and one of them is on life support.

We have a grand total of 2 gladiolas and 2 mums when we had so many years ago.

I grew up a city girl so wildlife fascinates and frustrates me. The robins had babies and they seem to have survived so far. The rabbit was looking like she was going to give birth any day and sure enough I spotted two a few days ago. Norm said that there were 4. Then today I saw 7! Yikes! So cute.They like to hang out under the green been bushes. Guess how many string beans we will get this year? I brought my camera out but didn't get a shot because mama was feeding them I didn't have the heart to interrupt that.

The Calla Lillie's and Shasta daises are blooming! Years ago I made a stained glass Daisey lamp and sold it in a garage sale. Sometimes I wish that I still had it.

My boys gave me tickets to a Broadway show for my birthday and my two sisters came with me. If you ever get a chance to see West Side Story do it. We ate at Junior's and it reminded me of seeing Clay in Spamalot.
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »

Here are some recent photos from our yard.

Caladiums and elephant ears

(Clickable)

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

Water lilies in the pond:

(clickable)