gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 454
Total: 454

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK JUNE 5  (Read 1391 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »

How the American Idol coronation singles stack up, part 1

You asked for it, you got it. Several of you reminded me a few weeks back that Ken Barnes updated you with sales totals for all the American Idol coronation singles after each season. Thanks to the good folks at Nielsen SoundScan, we have those numbers updated for you again this year.

As it stands, Kelly Clarkson's A Moment Like This and David Cook's The Time of My Life are the top two sellers, both topping 1 million when singles and digital songs are combined. Clay Aiken comes in just short of a million with This Is the Night. Looks like he's only about 4,000 downloads short of that million mark.

Only 4,000? Where are the Claymates? Will they stand for this? Or will we soon see a concerted effort -- and a corresponding sales surge -- as they try to get their boy to his next milestone?

Kelly Clarkson, A Moment Like This
420,000 -  digital songs
627,000 - singles

Ruben Studdard, Flying Without Wings
42,000 - digital songs
737,000 - singles

Clay Aiken, This Is the Night
36,000 - digital songs
960,000 - singles (b/w Bridge Over Troubled Waters)

Fantasia, I Believe
121,000 - digital songs
 406,000 -singles

Diana Degarmo, I Believe
23,000 - digital songs
202,000 - singles (b/w Dreams/Don't Cry Out Loud)

Carrie Underwood, Inside Your Heaven
362,000 - digital songs
459,000- singles

Bo Bice, Inside Your Heaven
52,000 - digital songs
349,000 - singles

Taylor Hicks, Do I Make You Proud?
208,000  - digital downloads
464,000 - singles

Katharine McPhee, My Destiny
98,000 - digital songs
169,000 - singles

Jordin Sparks, This Is My Now
301,000 - digital songs

David Cook, Time of My Life
1.2 million - digital songs

Kris Allen, No Boundaries
221,000 - digital songs

Adam Lambert, No Boundaries
60,000 - digital songs

USATODAYBLOG

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:49:45 AM »

That article made me go looking and here it is:

Bridge Over Troubled Water/This Is The Night
by Clay Aiken
Price: $1.99 

Format: MP3, 256 kbps — plays on iPod® and all MP3 players

Here are some reviews:

It has been decades since an entertainer of this caliber has come on the scene. This young man can SING, entertains with every song and is the total package.
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" is fantastic (My only complaint - I wish they would tone down the choir a little bit so we could hear Clay's beautiful pure voice better.)

"This Is The Night" is an original song, written by Aldo Nova who writes for Celine and Faith, among others. A beautiful song sung by a young man with an awesome voice.

It doesn't get any better than this (and I was a teenager / young adult during the Elvis era and Beatlemania).

I will be buying all of Clay Aiken's CDs for decades to come
Susan - age 57 (so much for the theory that all Clay's fans are teeny-boppers)

This outstanding CD single by the multi-talented CLAY AIKEN is the best and the greatest and the most enjoyable, exciting, and entertaining CD single I have ever listened to, bought, and owned. I have been listening to it everyday on my CD player, since when it arrived at stores and at amazon.com. Clay Aiken's singing has so much emotion, passion, and power. No other American Idol contestant has ever come close to Clay Aiken's talent and no other American Idol contestant ever will because Clay Aiken's singing is so unique and is in a class by himself. Clay Aiken's voice is so mesmerizing that it takes you to another place; it is one-of-a-kind.

AMAZON.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »

Here is a blast from the past about the single sales:

Aiken, Studdard Storm Billboard Chart
June 18, 2003, 12:05 PM ET

Fred Bronson, L.A.
The top two "American Idol" contestants capture the top two spots on Billboard's Hot 100, as Clay Aiken's "This Is the Night" (RCA) debuts at No. 1 and Ruben Studdard's "Flying Without Wings" (J Records) opens at No. 2. It's the first time in the 45-year history of the Hot 100 that the top two positions are new entries.

Aiken's "This Is the Night" is the first song to debut at No. 1 on the Hot 100 since 1998, and the first since chart rules were changed to allow airplay-only tracks to appear on the chart alongside commercially released singles. Those new chart policies make it almost impossible for a song to enter the chart in pole position, or in the top-5, but the massive sales on the two "Idol" singles made their historic debuts possible.

Aiken's single sold nearly 393,000 copies and Studdard's single moved nearly 286,000 units, according to Nielsen SoundScan. "This Is the Night" boasts the biggest one-week sales figures since Elton John's "Candle in the Wind 1997."

Aiken was the runner-up on "American Idol," with just 130,000 votes out of 25 million separating him from Studdard's first-place finish. The winner was guaranteed a recording contract, but Aiken didn't know he would also have a record deal until he heard judge Simon Cowell announce on the series' finale that he and Studdard would have their singles released on the same day.

"This Is the Night" is the second No. 1 single by an "American Idol" contestant. Kelly Clarkson, winner of the series' first season competition, spent two weeks on top of the Hot 100 in October 2002 with "A Moment Like This" (RCA). Clarkson shares a No. 1 position this week in Billboard with Aiken, as her song "Miss Independent" moves to No. 1 on Billboard's Top 40 Tracks chart, which measures airplay at top 40 radio.

The Aiken and Studdard singles debut at No. 1 and No. 2 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles Sales tally. The artists also appear on the No. 3 entry, the American Idol Finalists' "God Bless the U.S.A.," which had been No. 1 for eight weeks. 

BILLBOARD.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx