gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 474
Total: 474

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AI Season 8: Top 10 - Week of 3-25-09  (Read 24781 times)
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »

This thread will contain real time SPOILERS! If you don't want to know what happens please read the thread after the show premiers in your area. All discussion related to the show should be contained in this thread so as not to ruin surprises for the different time zones.

The parties will start when the show starts at 8:00 PM Eastern time.

1: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You are allowed to discuss opinions in a reasonable manner but you can not attack someone if they like or dislike a particular contestant.  Please respect your fellow posters.

2: There will be no personal bashing of any contestant. You can say you don't like the contestant for their performances or because you just don't like their personality but please do not personally attack the person. No name calling will be tolerated.

3: Please do not post pictures in the thread.  Some people still have dial up and the speed of the thread is impacted with the number of pictures posted. In other words, it takes a long time for their thread to load.

4: People come back and read the thread after the show is over, we're going to try to do our best this year to note who is singing and what for each show. When referring to a contestant, if possible, please use their names so we know exactly which contestant you are referring too.

5: Remember our Claymaniac friends on the West Coast and don't post AI information in community threads. Keep discussion and spoilers here.

6: Also asking you not to post Dial Idol results. Many people don't want to know who may or may not be voted off until the show airs.

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »

The Top 10 Contestants are:

Adam Lambert - 26, Los Angeles, CA

Allison Iraheta - 16, Los Angeles, CA

Anoop Desai - 21, Chapel Hill, NC

Danny Gokey - 28, Milwaukee, WI

Kris Allen - 23, Conway, AR

Lil Rounds - 23, Memphis, TN

Matt Giraud - 23, Kalamazoo, MI

Megan Joy Corkrey - 22, Sandy, UT

Michael Sarver - 27, Jasper, TX

Scott MacIntyre - 23, Scottsdale, AZ

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »

This week Idol will be on Wednesday and Thursday.

The theme this week is 50 years of Motown.

Guest singers for Thursday's results show are Ruben Studdard and Smokey Robinson

Top 100 Motown Songs

100 Greatest Motown Songs

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »

'American Idol' finalists visit Motown Museum
Adam Graham and Susan Whitall / The Detroit News

They came, they saw, and eight of the 10 American Idol finalists sang some Motown songs inside the Motown Historical Museum today, under the watchful eye of Motown founder Berry Gordy Jr. and singer/songwriter Smokey Robinson.

The "Idols" arrived in Detroit from Los Angeles via private jet this morning at 4:50 a.m. They arrived in a caravan of four Ford Flex Limited vehicles at the museum, fondly known as Hitsville, just before 10:15 a.m.

Gordy and Robinson motored up in Lincoln Town Cars about 45 minutes later, Gordy all business in a tan glen plaid sports jacket and tan slacks, while Robinson looked more artistic in denim blue Uggs, blue shirt and jeans, with a hammered silver cross around his neck.

The Motown founder and his "best friend" Robinson were to mentor the "Idols" in taped segments that will be aired next Wednesday and Thursday during a special "50 Years of Motown" week on the top-rated Fox TV show.

Around a dozen fans and several dozen journalists greeted the American Idol contestants as they arrived, and more fans gathered as the day went on. First out was tall, strapping Adam Lambert, wearing his usual all-black ensemble, oversized sunglasses and sporting an aqua green streak in his hair. Ypsilanti native Matt Giraud sipped Starbucks from the backseat of the Flex, and when he stepped out of the vehicle, he let a deep breath of Michigan air fill his lungs. "Hometown, alright!" he exclaimed.

Eight of the top 10 "Idols" -- Megan Joy and Michael Sarver did not make the trip due to illness, an "Idol" spokesperson confirmed -- are in town to try out songs they'll be performing on next week's Motown-themed episode in the place where so many of those hits were born: the legendary Studio A.

"It's great coming back home," Gordy said, as media gathered before him as he stepped on to the Motown property. He compared the Motown star-making machine and its inherent competitive nature to that of "Idol," and called "Idol" "probably the greatest platform in the history of the music business."

Gordy said he wasn't going to coach the kids through their songs so much as focus on them as people. He said he would prepare them for longevity in the business, and stress the importance of personal happiness in the face of success.

"I've reached my pot of gold, so to speak," Gordy said. "After (success) is when you want to be truly happy. And you can only be truly happy if you're proud of yourself."

This is not Robinson's first tango with "American Idol"; he acted as a guest judge during the show's second season and performed during the season finale of the show's sixth season.

The eight "Idol" finalists stopped and posed for several pictures in front of the museum before entering the building. Anoop Desai dressed the part, wearing a black Motown hooded sweatshirt. Lil Rounds -- who actually is rather "lil" in person --sported an Anita Baker-like, short, flirty 'do, and was bundled up in a black coat and big shades.

Scott MacIntyre, who is vision-impaired, carried a walking cane with him and was helped up the walkway to the building by an assistant. He waved to onlookers, smiling broadly.

When asked if he was going to win it all on "Idol" this year, Giraud -- sporting a cool pair of designer shades -- smiled, drawling, "We gon' try. But it's good to be home, and that's all I'm thinking about right now."

When asked what he was going to sing next week, Giraud laughed and said, "Come on, you know I can't tell you that." But he didn't hesitate when asked who his favorite Motown act is. "Jackson Five," he said. (Giraud sang the Robinson-penned Jackson Five hit "Who's Lovin' You" during "Idol's" Wild Card round, which ended up earning him a place as one of the finalists.)

Lambert said his favorite Motown act was Marvin Gaye. Frontrunner Danny Gokey said, "There's too many to choose," but added, "The Temptations have got to be one of them."

The crisp Detroit weather proved to be a bit of a shock for contestant Allison Iraheta, who announced, "It is cold!" to anyone within earshot while standing on the front porch of the Motown Museum.

The Roostertail's Tom Schoenith catered the shoot, and showed up in the 11 o' clock hour with assistants bearing trays of shrimp, wrapped sandwiches, salads, and buckets of fruit and vegetables.

At least an hour after Robinson and Gordy had departed, the "Idols" finally left Hitsville, granting autographs to a line of ecstatic fans kept behind a wooden barrier.

The Idols were all smiles about their sessions with the Motown veterans, and seemed tickled to sign autographs and answer questions. Asked what he did inside, Giraud said "Learned how to sing right!" Did Smokey show him how? "I'm hoping!" the Kalamazoo pianist replied.

Iraheta said Robinson gave her a tour of the Motown museum. "I'll have my one-on-one with him next week," she related.

Lambert said Gordy advised him of the importance of individuality, of being yourself. "I really picked up on that!" Lambert said with a grin. "The key for us all is to breathe, to relax and realize just how fortunate we all are."

The Idol Eight were then chauffeured back to their hotel just after 3 p.m.

The footage taped today will air during Wednesday's episode of "Idol," and Robinson is scheduled to perform during Thursday's elimination episode, Fox announced this morning.

Gordy said the "Idols" have a leg up on their peers, unlike Motown when it started 50 years ago.

"We started from zero; they're starting from a mountaintop," he said.

You can reach Adam Graham at (313) 222-2284 or agraham@detnews.com.

The Detroit News

mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »

Thanks Michelle!!!
Love the descriptive "tall strapping" , can't wait to see the aqua streak Clapping

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »

Thanks for providing for all of the information every week, MICHELLE! 
6: Also asking you not to post Dial Idol results. Many people don't want to know who may or may not be voted off until the show airs.

And thanks so much for this reminder, as well.   Huggles

See ya'll on Wednesday night!   

"To thine ownself be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."  ~ William Shakespeare
"Life is just one damn thing after another!" ~ Uncle Julian
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:49:26 PM »

At least with it being a Motown week the music is suited to a variety of people. There has to be somebody singing well on Wednesday night!

mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »

Getting excited

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

THE QUEEN OF SNARK Raleigh

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »

Wink

TRANSLATING IDOL CRITIQUES

"To look at me, you may be wrong. I've been through this--it made me strong."
"'Lifted me up when I couldn't reach; you gave me faith 'cuz you believed."
"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »

lmao lmao

I especially liked:

That song was too big for you: “You are a small woman from Oklahoma, and that was sung originally by a large woman from Detroit.”

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »

Personally I think the new introduction is a tad...indulgent.

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »

The kids visit Hitsville - Motown, Detroit. They are meet with Smokey Robinson and Berry Gordy and tour the place.

They return to LA and Smokey mentors them.

WilsonClaymate
UltimateFan

The way you make me feel

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »

wave    Hi Everyone

Just got home.  Looking forward to "Motown Night"

"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."      ~cc777

I couldn't have said it better myself
Barbara
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »

In the crappy first spot is:

Matt Giraud - Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye

He didn't perform it badly (wasn't great either)...but there's something about an Idol singing about "getting it on"...creepy  Paranoid

Randy - set this off; those runs you did at the end, that falsetto, you worked it out

Kara - lot of girls out there going 'yeah'; liked that you started at the piano then got up and did your thing; solid performance

Paula -glad you are comfortable somethingsomething; sexy cool vibe; most people overdo riffing, yours are tasteful, spot on; you're respectful of the melody; like wearing a pair of worn in jeans

Simon - cool performance; voice absolutely suits that kind of song; you are one of the front runners in this competition

wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »

wave Hello Idol Watchers!

I just got here.   Matt did a good job.  He has talent.  He still is not one of my favorites.

YIPES -  The introductions of the judges and Ryan . . way toooooo much!  

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 05:15:11 PM »

Personally I think the new introduction is a tad...indulgent.
Laughing Clapping

"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »

I think Matt sang that song very well. But as for being a "frontrunner"? I don't know about that. I don't get any personality from him.

Are cardigans "in" for spring? Paranoid

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »

Kris Allen - How Sweet It Is - Marvin Gaye (and later James Taylor)

he's such a cutie; not the best singer in the bunch but not the worst and totally adorable!  blush

Randy - once again, you're being consistent; hitting your zone; it's all good right now baby

Kara - know what I love about that performance; you didn't do James Taylor, you didn't do Marvin Gaye...you did Kris; it's about artistry and setting yourself apart and you did everything right on that performance

Paula - nice seeing you come into your own; picked a great song; infectious personality; note at the end was brilliant; really proud of you, growing every week

Simon - you're having a good competition right now; smart that you did your own version of the song; need to start believing in yourself, you don't have the swagger yet; if you're going to be a star you've got to be conceited

wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »

Kris Allen - How Sweet It Is - Marvin Gaye (and later James Taylor)

he's such a cutie; not the best singer in the bunch but not the worst and totally adorable!  blush

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
claydevotee
Enthusiastic

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »

wave  Just coming in.  Wanted to clean up the kitchen before settling down.  

Michael....strong performance

Chris...He's growing on me.  I like his voice.  I like his sweetness and his genuineness (is that a word?).  

Frankly, I'm glad they put Michael and Chris next to each other so we could compare the two "dark horses".

And WISC BARB, I agree that the introduction of the judges was definitely OTT.  Overkill/nauseating/unnecessary also come to mind.

"To thine ownself be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."  ~ William Shakespeare
"Life is just one damn thing after another!" ~ Uncle Julian
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx