gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 356
Total: 356

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uhm ... Guys? Shoutbox and stuff?  (Read 7076 times)
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« on: September 27, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »

Hi everybody.

While it's true that I am no longer a moderator here of my own decision (life has been beating me up, had nothing to do with anything else), I am still a member.  I write this post, and state my opinion as such, and nothing more.

I get that recent developments have caused emotions to be running a bit high on the board, to say the least.  People are feeling everything from anger and disappointment to fierce loyalty to heartbreak.  It's understandable.  Completely.

But there are so many places here on this board where members can go to discuss how they feel.  As a member, a Claymaniac sister, I am asking you to keep it out of the Shoutbox. 

As a former moderator I know that Claymaniacs, while not the largest Clay site, is a high-profile one.  Clay has acknowledged us in his Thank Yous in concert programs and so on, we've been listed before in magagzines in the top 5 places to find Clay online, and so on. 

And the shoutbox is one of the first places members of the media are going to look for "fan reaction" or, and I hate this but they say it all the time, "Claymate's comments".  The reason the shoutbox is so appealing is because it doesn't require much reading.  They can glean comments and reactions from it by skimming for a moment or two.

Two or three nights ago Craig Ferguson was taking his turn making jokes at Clay's expense.  He said something like And these Claymates, they're so upset!  They're having meltdowns.  One woman on a fanboard said that she couldn't go to work and wasn't able to answer her phone!

I haven't been around much, but I wanted to throw up because I had read that very thing in our shoutbox just shortly before then.

I realize it could've been on any of the other boards as well, but it still made my stomach flip.

I'm NOT singling anyone out.  I'm not.  If it's hit someone that hard, I understand.  And where else would you talk about it but here among other Clay fans who will understand how you feel.  That's a huge part of what makes this place so wonderful is the friendships and comfort found here.

I'm not saying that I think we shouldn't talk about our feelings or whatever.  I'm only saying I think we should keep it out of the shoutbox.

Paranoid

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

franniek54
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »

Thank you Kris.  I've been saying that for months.

The shoutbox is the easiest and quickest place for malicious people to get material.  They don't even have to work at it or be a member. Take your comments into the forums everybody.  As Pamela has said in the past, the shoutbox is supposed to be a happy place.
luluasst
Claymaniac

California dreaming!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »

I agree. Someone clean up the shout box please - media are watching!!!

"Love requires walking through the fire to set me free, so I could rise up from the ashes"

Saw Clay in concert at Pala on my birthday, August 3, 2007

M&G with Kelly Clarkson and the idols on their  FIRST ever AI tour in San Diego Oct. 8, 2002
vikipace
Claymation

Ciao!

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:10:56 PM »

That shoutbox should be monitored... Paranoid
Post Your Opinions, but be careful because the media can take it the wrong way.

-viki

He lites up my life! I loved his "supremely silly" performance in Spamalot on May 3, 2008! :-P
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:49:19 AM »

Thanks guys.  Nice to know I'm not the only one thinking it.  There's just so many threads where we can talk about our opinions and feelings.  The shoutbox is not the place for it.

I think our moderators do an awesome job moderating it, but it moves so fast.  They simply cannot catch everything.  It's impossible.  That's why members need to use some discretion.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

vikipace
Claymation

Ciao!

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »

AGREED!
-viki

He lites up my life! I loved his "supremely silly" performance in Spamalot on May 3, 2008! :-P
Clayhottiefan007
Enthusiastic

Brett and Clay's Lil Freshman College TCC Girl!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 11:17:37 AM »

I totally agree with you Kris Huggles

love you lots
Kat Huggles

Kat. Huggles
DHS Class of '09
In loving memory of Debi <3
Got Clayed on 7/7/07 in Tulsa
TCC Class of '12
Be Smart and be ABOVE THE INFLUENCE and NOT UNDER
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »

I SAID SOMETHING ABUT THIS JUST TODAY.  IF ANYONE SEES A POST THAT IS NOT WHAT WE ARE ABOUT HERE, PLEASE KEEP POSTING THE SHOUTBOX UNTIL IT DISAPPEARS.  JMHO BUT AFTER THE OTHER DAY WHEN WE OF ALL BOARDS WERE SINGLED OUT, I WAS JUST ANGRY. 

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »

Just an FYI so everyone is on the same page....we were not singled out ETA: by Craig Ferguson.

The comment referenced by Craig Ferguson was originally included in an online article that was picked up by several other media outlets.  While our website was specifically mentioned, the comment was similar to the one posted in our shoutbox, but it could have been posted on other boards as well, maybe even by the same person.

This particular comment was the opinion of one person.  Of course the media is going to seek out the most extreme emotional components of any news story; it's what they do.  However, I don't feel the poster should be ashamed or ridiculed for expressing her feelings, whether on the forum or in the shoutbox.  Removing her post would not have been appropriate; there were no rules broken.  Just because others don't agree is not a reason to remove a post.

While it's true that the moderators can't police the board 24/7/365, and while it's true that the shoutbox is supposed to be a fun place to just give a 'shout out,' some people's emotions have been running high for the past week, and I am a firm believer that we should all feel comfotable sharing our feelings here, as long as no one is in violation of our guidelines.  No, you don't have to be a member to read the shoutbox, but neither do you have to be a member to read the forum either. 

There is almost always at least one moderator online, any time of day.  Any inappropriate comments in the shout box should be reported to a staff member and a decision would then be made as to whether to remove it or not.

I respect and understand your feelings about policing the shoutbox, but I am very disappointed it was removed from the website.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx