gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 153
Total: 153

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 8 News and Information  (Read 12124 times)
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 06:15:20 AM »

Slash tweets about mentoring the ‘Idols’
Those ‘AI’ kids can sing their a--es off, especially Adam,’ he wrote
   Access Hollywood

updated 7:25 p.m. ET, Mon., May 4, 2009

For weeks, thousands of fans around the country watching Adam Lambert on “American Idol” have been reminded of Axl Rose. And while Rose may not be appearing on the show, his former Guns N’ Roses bandmate, Slash, is, and the guitarist has given Lambert the thumbs up.

“Those ‘AI’ kids can sing their a--es off, especially Adam,” Slash, who is mentoring “Idol’s” contestants on rock week, wrote in a post on his Twitter page over the weekend.

While he didn’t offer any hints about the material the final four — Lambert, Danny Gokey, Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta — will be singing, Slash said he approves of their yet unnamed song choices.

“The contestants from ‘AI’ picked some really cool songs for next week, thank God!” Slash tweeted.

Late last week, Slash confirmed he had been asked to mentor the four finalists, and he accepted the gig on his own terms.

“As you may or may not know, the producers for ‘American Idol’ have asked me to be the mentor for ‘Rock Week’ next week. I was reluctant at (first), but they offered me the freedom to do it however I wanted,” he wrote on his official MySpace page.

Slash, who is known for his guitar playing more than his vocal chords, said he took on the mentor job in a way the show has never seen before.

“The approach I’m taking is different than usual on the show, and I’m going to make this as rock 'n roll an ‘American Idol’ as possible,” he wrote. “Wish me luck.”

Slash, who has worked with many of the rock world’s vocalists, said he was digging what’s been coming out of the final four.

“There are a few singers this year who are really impressive,” he wrote. “It’s the first time any ‘AI’ line-up has really caught my attention.”

msnbc.com

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 06:18:21 AM »

Simon: All Four Idol Judges "Absolutely" Returning Next Season
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
By ANNA DIMOND
TV GUIDE

Simon Cowell has confirmed that all four Idol judges will return next season.

"I think certainly next year everyone's going to be back," he told Ellen DeGeneres during a pre-taped Tuesday appearance on her show ("Yeah, absolutely," he added.)

In recent weeks, the judges' plans for future seasons have been uncertain, with Season 8 addition Kara DioGuardi being the latest question mark. The arrival of the fourth judge, who has a one-year contract, has been controversial throughout the season, in part because of how much time an extra judge adds to critiques. (Former Idol boss Nigel Lythgoe told TVGuide.com that he's "not a fourth judge fan," for example, and nearly 60 percent of TVGuide.com readers agreed that four judges is too many.)

Cowell acknowledged the debate surrounding the additional judge. "There's less time for us to talk," he said. "One week ... 10 minutes before the show started, [producers] said, 'Oh, by the way you can't talk for half the show.'  It's rather like saying in a singing competition to the singer, 'Half of you can't sing.'  It was just crazy."

The show's veterans have also been discussing their Idol futures. Paula Abdul -- whose contract ends after this season -- pondered her plans during an April appearance on Nightline. Cowell has been vocal about his next steps too. He recently told the New York Times that he still intends to leave American Idol when his contract ends after next season.

seattlepi.com

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 06:20:19 AM »

May 5 2009 6:51 AM EDT
Kris Allen Almost Missed His 'American Idol' Audition
'It's a miracle we even got there,' says Cale Mills, who tried out along with Allen and his brother.

By Gil Kaufman

Kris Allen's pals will tell you they always thought he was destined to be on (and win) "American Idol." But despite making it to the top four and gaining a head of steam after Simon Cowell initially told him his personality was too low-key to take home the season-eight crown, the truth is, Allen's lucky he's on the show at all.

See, back in June, Allen, 23, told his pal Cale Mills that he was planning to try out for the show. The first problem was that Allen couldn't make the nearby audition in St. Louis because of his impending wedding, so he decided to aim for the Louisville, Kentucky, audition in July instead.

The night before the audition, Mills packed into a car with Allen, his older brother Daniel Allen, a pair of guitars and some pillows, and the trio began an all-night, 12-hour journey from Conway, Arkansas, to Louisville. As Kris and Daniel snoozed, Mills, 25, did most of the driving to Freedom Hall, where nearly 15,000 wannabes had already started lining up the night before.

"It's a miracle we even got there, because we didn't have a clue where we were going and, at the last second, we pulled off an exit by accident, and we were getting ready to ask for directions when we looked up and saw the line of people," said Mills, who often plays guitar and sings alongside Allen at gigs in their hometown. "We got out, changed and tried to freshen up a bit, and I can't remember the moment when we realized the time had changed. We forgot that it was an hour ahead there, so we got there and when we walked in the doors, they said they weren't taking any more auditions."

After waltzing past the huge line of people waiting to get in, the trio stood in a nearly deserted registration room as the staff folded up chairs and closed things down. "Daniel is a talker, so he went up and told them how we came all the way from Conway and we had our guitars and I don't know if they were messing with us or what, but after saying we were too late, they laughed and let us sign up," Mills said.

Looking at the daunting, half-mile-long line of singers who had now begun shuffling into the arena, Daniel Allen said there was no way the guys were going to walk to the end again, so Mills said the elder Allen somehow convinced the gruff bodyguard near the front of the line to let them in early using some concocted story about how their guitars could not stand being out in the sun all day.

Because they got one of the last tickets available, the three singers spent the next 11 hours camped out waiting for their auditions, which didn't take place until after 7 that night.

"On top of that, Kris was sick throughout the day, and he was the one that really had a chance, so that was frustrating for him and us, because, man, we just wanted them to hear him at his best," said Mills, who will be in the audience Tuesday night (May 5) when Allen takes on rock night. "He was doing a lot of resting and probably didn't warm up or sing until 6 p.m. that night, when he started singing Donny Hathaway's 'A Song for You,' which he sang in the audition [shown on TV]."

Mills went first, singing Maroon 5's "She Will Be Loved," followed by Kris and then Daniel. "In my mind, he wasn't in top shape, but when you're that good, even when you're not at the top you will still be better than nearly everyone there," he said. Mills was dismissed as the Allen brothers were asked to sing again. The elder Allen ended up making it through several rounds, washing out just before getting a chance to sing for the judges and his little bro — well, the rest is history.

"Kris was pumped up about it. He felt like he probably could have done better, but he called his parents and told them about it, and his mom got us a hotel room for the night," Mills recalled, noting that even though he didn't make it, he did get his moment to shine on the Louisville audition episode, where he swears you can see him walking off in silhouette if you look really closely.

mtv.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 06:27:26 AM »

NC `Idol' singer faked illness to watch playoff

Posted: Today at 7:45 a.m.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Anoop Desai says he faked illness so he could skip a taping session during his "American Idol" performances and watch North Carolina win the NCAA basketball title.

The Herald-Sun of Durham reported Tuesday that Desai told friends and family at a reception that he went straight to a television set to watch the win. The 22-year-old Desai is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and was honored Monday by the school.

Desai said he missed being in Chapel Hill during the basketball playoffs.

The university's alumni association sponsored the Monday reception for Desai and gave him a photo of celebrations on Franklin Street. It was autographed by North Carolina coach Roy Williams.

wral.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 08:30:19 PM »

May 5 2009 2:39 PM EDT
Paula Abdul On Painkiller Addiction: 'I Could Have Killed Myself'
By MAXINE SHEN

Last updated: 11:31 am
May 5, 2009

PAULA Abdul is hitting the stage for a live perform ance on "American Idol" tomorrow night.

She'll leave the judging to others to sing "I'm Just Here for the Music" -- the first single off an album due out in the fall.

Since she's preparing to return to the music scene, the timing seemed right to bare her soul over the drug habit that she's recently kicked.

For the first time, Abdul reveals how hard it was for her to detox from a 12-year-long painkiller addiction.

"I could have killed myself," she tells this month's issue of Ladies' Home Journal.

The withdrawal was "the worst thing. I was freezing cold, then sweating hot, then chattering and in so much pain. It was excruciating. But at my very core, I did not like existing the way I had been."

Although Abdul claims that she never filmed an episode of "Idol" while under the influence -- and vehemently denied any illegal drug use in the past -- she did spend at least part of the last decade relying on painkillers and Chinese medicine to quietly combat her injury-induced chronic debilitating pain, she says.

Years of cheerleading, dancing injuries and two crashes -- a 1992 car crash and a 1993 plane crash that required 15 spinal surgeries -- contributed to a diagnosis of reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome in 2005. The illness left her with disabling pain, chattering teeth and shingles-like lesions.

To relieve the symptoms, Abdul wore a patch that delivered a pain medication that she claims was 80 times more potent than morphine. She also sometimes took a muscle relaxer, she said.

But that's all ancient history. Last Thanksgiving, Abdul gave up the meds for good during a stay at Calsbad, Calif.'s La Costa Resort and Spa.

Now, she's in shape and gearing up to to relaunch her music career.

nypost.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »

May 05, 2009
Paula Abdul stays focused on her craft
05:32 PM PT, May 5 2009

The ‘American Idol’ judge has an album due out. Her reps negotiate an ‘AI’ contract extension with Fox.

"American Idol" viewers are accustomed to seeing the show’s "nice judge" Paula Abdul grapple for just the right words to deliver her verdicts. But on Monday afternoon in a Burbank rehearsal space, she strutted boldly across the floor,  directing six strapping backup dancers, who careened and kneeled in her wake, then lifted her to a platform about 15 feet high. There, she paused for the merest second at the edge, and then dropped face first toward the floor — her petite frame rescued midplunge  by the arms of her dancers.

"I’m fearless," she said a few minutes later in her dressing room. "The dancers were more afraid than I am. I was like, ‘Guys, I know you’re going to catch me. You’re not going to drop me on my head.'"

There will be more daring plunges in coming weeks as Abdul finds herself at a critical career crossroads.  With a new album due out (fans will get a sample of the single on tonight’s "Idol"), she prepares to reintroduce herself as a singer to the generations that have come of age since her monster hits of the ’80s. She’s in the midst of contract negotiations with Fox about another season of "Idol" amid lingering questions about whether whether she’ll return.

And she’ll be doing it sober: After years of denying that she had any drug or alcohol dependencies, in a June cover story in Ladies’ Home Journal, Abdul said that over Thanksgiving she went to a spa for ?detox treatment for her ?painkiller addiction. The revelation, after saying it wasn’t true so many times, seems to be a part of an effort to get the judge-in-all-her-facets out before the public, beyond the often flummoxed face behind the desk.

Another season?

Although it has been widely - and wildly - speculated that the show’s producers would use this season’s addition of the fourth judge, Kara DioGuardi, to squeeze out Abdul, sources close to Abdul and the network confirmed that Fox has begun negotiations to renew her contract and seem hopeful an agreement can be reached?before it expires at season's end.

Fox had no official comment for this story, saying it does not speak about contract negotiations, but the network has publicly expressed hope that Abdul will be back for the show’s ninth season.
If there is a hangup, it is likely to be the reportedly vast  disparity in the stars’ salaries.  Last year, former "Idol" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe told Australia’s Courier Mail that the show’s trademark tough judge, Simon Cowell, earns $36 million each season (not including income from his involvement with "Idol" grads’ records). Cowell’s contract expires after next season, and he has been making noise that he might move on.

Sources close to the show say Abdul earns a fraction of Cowell’s figure, pegging it at around $2 million.

While the numbers are haggled over, Abdul has new music to introduce. Tonight, she will cross over the judges’ desk and take the stage to perform on the results show. Abdul called the song -- "I’m Just Here for the Music" -- a "dance anthem." It is the title track of her album to be released this fall. Abdul gushed that the work is a return to the heights of "Forever Your Girl," her 1988 debut, which sold 12 million copies worldwide.

"It’s got that magic feeling to it, and when that happens, you know it," Abdul said of the new opus. "There’s no demographic, it really just spans the extent of who I am. This album is about my life right now."

(In a review of the single, Entertainment Weekly called Abdul’s voice "an electronic squeak," but the critic wrote that he "thoroughly enjoyed tilting my head backward and pouring every last worthless crumb down my gullet.")

All a-Twitter

Paula330Eight years into Abdul’s second act as an "Idol" judge, her life right now seems full. Her recent activities include not only her album but a line of jewelry, handbags and accessories (with cosmetics soon to follow) and perhaps the most important of modern triumphs -- a Twitter feed (@PaulaAbdul) that has just passed 100,000 followers.

In her dressing room, preparing to run through her number again, the fearless Abdul of the dance floor again became the more tentative, shy presence known to tens of millions of "Idol" viewers, carefully searching for the right words to channel her fonts of energy.

Asked whether the many avenues she is pursuing now are the first steps to a post-"Idol" life, Abdul offered an equivocal answer:

"Here's the thing with me. If you think 20 years ago, I was a Laker girl and having a No.?1 single with ‘Straight Up,’ and choreographing from 7:30 in the morning till 1 p.m. at ‘The Tracey Ullman Show.’ Then I'd leave my assistant there and go down to Universal Studios and work on the George Michael 'Faith' tour, while two doors down I’d be working on the Jackson reunion tour. Then I’d go into the studio at midnight while at 5 a.m. I’d pull into the Fox parking lot and sleep for a couple of hours. I thrive on that. I do lots of things, and I feel like I’m circling back to where all the magic happened, and I’m having the blessings of being able to do that."

Getting ready to go run through the dance routine again, she continued, "I stay out of the negotiation area, and I let my people handle that because I have to stay focused on being an artist and doing what I do best. I love my job. And I’m having my best time ever this season. And you know what? As long as I’m having fun, loving what I’m doing, everything will work itself out."

-- Richard Rushfield

latimesblog

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 07:56:20 AM »

Paula Abdul Surprises Idol's Scott MacIntyre With Guide Dog

Mon., May. 11, 2009 2:19 PM PDT by Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna

The night  Scott MacIntyre got booted from American Idol five weeks ago, Paula Abdul took him aside and said, "I have a wonderful surprise for you in a couple of weeks," he told Access Hollywood. That surprise came on Friday when the Idol judge presented the visually challenged singer with a guide dog from Guide Dogs of America in Sylmar, Calif.

Scott walked—or "test drove" as he joked—two of the organization's Labrador retrievers on Friday, but he won't get his dog until after the American Idol tour ends on Sept. 15. At that time, he'll get matched up with the right pooch for him and go through a 28-day training process. "We have to find a dog that really likes loud music," joked Paula.

Scott, who was lured to the event under the false pretense that he was there to sing, was quite surprised to learn the truth...

"Are you serious? Thank you so much," Scott told Paula at the event, which was in honor of May being National Guide Dog Month and cosponsored by Natural Balance Pet Foods and Petco.

Scott is the first visually challenged contestant on American Idol. The Scottsdale, Ariz., singer isn't completely blind; he has a 2 percent field of vision and gets around with the use of a cane. On the set of Idol, his fellow contestants would walk him to and from the stage. Now, he'll have a furry friend to help him out instead.

eonline.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »

Has Adam Lambert Fever Killed 'American Idol' Competition?
Simon Cowell Adds to Wave of Praise Showered on Adam Lambert
By SHEILA MARIKAR
May 13, 2009

A few weeks remain before "American Idol" officially anoints the nation's new pop icon, but right now, as has been the case nearly all season, it's all about Adam Lambert.
Photo: Has Adam Lambert Fever Killed ?American Idol? Competition? Simon Cowell Adds to Wave of Praise Showered on Adam Lambert
"American Idol" judge Simon Cowell came out in full support of Adam Lambert this week, so do the other two contenders, Danny Gokey and Kris Allen, have even a hope of winning?

Judge Simon Cowell came out in full support of Lambert this week, telling Oprah Winfrey that there's no way the 26-year-old musical theater veteran won't win because he's fearless, he's unique and "he's got swagger" (as evidenced by his renditions of Aerosmith's "Crying" and U2's "One" Tuesday night.)

Cowell's endorsement adds to a heap of attention Lambert's received throughout his run on "American Idol." He graces the current cover of Entertainment Weekly, the latest media outlet (this one included) to do a feature on him.

Granted, it's not just Lambert's talent that's earned him coverage -- the speculation over whether or not he's gay and his coy refusal to address that question play into the media's interest. But it seems Lambert has made the competitive aspect of "American Idol" a moot point. Do the other two contenders, Danny Gokey and Kris Allen, have even a hope of winning when Lambert's stolen the spotlight?

Perhaps -- Lambert landed in jeopardy when he bottomed out in the lowest rung of contestants during the eighth week of competition. But he hung on while Matt Giraud got eliminated, and with Cowell and the other judges crowing about him -- Paula Abdul called him the Michael Phelps of the competition -- his hold on the "Idol" title appears stronger than ever.

That fact isn't lost on his fellow contestants. After losing to Lambert, Giraud spoke out about the judges' perceived favoritism.

"The judges have their favorites, and they're going to make sure they do well," he told ABC News Radio. "There were times when I felt, like, invisible in the competition."

Giraud also revealed Lambert took his fair share of ribbing from the other "Idol" candidates.

"If Adam had a good night, we'd go backstage and tease him, like 'Man, is that Adam Lambert Idol or what?' And he'd crack up like, 'C'mon guys,'" Giraud said.

Lil Rounds, who was eliminated on "Idol's" April 22 episode, echoed Giraud's sentiments. Asked by ABC News Radio how it feels to compete during a season when the judges and the media alike are convinced that one contestant is sure to win, she said, "Of course, you hear that, the judges' comments [but] you can't let it bother you."

American Idol' Fans Resent Favoritism

"Idol" contestants are versed in maintaining the utmost professionalism towards each other, even after they leave the competition. Fans, however, need not exercise the same restraint.

"Fans resent favoritism. It makes them angry," said MJ, runs the 4-year-old "American Idol" fan blog MJsBigBlog.com. "What's dangerous for Adam is it can create a backlash."

Indeed, Tuesday, after MJ posted a video of Cowell on "Fox & Friends" lauding Lambert and saying finalist Allen isn't fit to be in the competition, fans of the latter got riled up.

"Grrrr. I was already planning to vote my fingers off for Kris now that my #1 is gone (Allison [Iraheta], of course), and this just makes me want to get all my friends to vote for him, too," commenter dreamr posted on MJsBigBlog.com.

But this is par for the course for "Idol." Around this time every season, Cowell comes out in favor of a particular contestant, singing their praises all over the talk show circuit. Often, the one he touts turns into the one who wins.

"Last year he picked David Cook," MJ said. "He loved Fantasia and Carrie Underwood; he beat the drum for them all the way through."

It's no accident. Lambert clearly has the charisma and talent to do the "American Idol" title proud. No matter what viewers/voters think, if the show's judges and producers are confident Lambert will sell records once he scores his prize -- a contract with "Idol" affiliated label 19 Entertainment -- it's in their best interests to throw all their support behind him.

"They have an idea of who they want," MJ said. "It makes them look smart to pick the winner ahead of time."

Reporting contributed by ABC News Radio's Andrea Dresdale.

abcnews

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 07:06:47 AM »

Adam Lambert falls in 'American Idol' upset as Kris Allen takes title

BY Jim Farber
DAILY NEWS MUSIC CRITIC

Updated Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 8:59 PM
Winter/Getty

The underdog is the new "American Idol."

Clean-cut country boy Kris Allen knocked glam god Adam Lambert off his pedestal Wednesday night, becoming the series' eighth title winner.

Allen seemed shocked, humbled and even apologetic over his win. "Adam deserves this," he said. "I'm sorry."

His triumph might be the most surprising upset in the show's eight-season history because the judges, including hypercritical Simon Cowell, often favored Lambert's wild performances.

Even though the flamboyant Lambert appeared to be the favorite, it was never a foregone conclusion he would win the final tally, which host Ryan Seacrest revealed to be "just under 100 million" votes. That's a record for the series, beating last year's count of 97.5 million.

The expulsion of Danny Gokey two weeks ago may have given Allen, 23, the boost he needed, because both are more conventional and down-to-earth than Lambert, 27.

Lambert's sexuality was also a wild card - with a singing and fashion style reminiscent of gay icons from Queen singer Freddie Mercury to k.d. lang.

In the past few months, pictures have surfaced of Lambert kissing other men, while Allen has often talked about his wife and his church attendance.

Simple geography also may have been on Allen's side. Five past "Idol" winners have been from Southern states, and he hails from Conway, Ark., about as deep in the South as you can get.

Allen never challenged the top-rated show's core values. On stage, he exuded all the edginess of a modest Bible student who just happened to look like a teen idol. Lambert positioned himself as a revolutionary with his eyeliner, nail polish and jet-black dye job. His over-the-top style, complete with a patented shriek, wowed some - but turned off others.

Tensions were high as Lambert and Allen went into the final round of competition on Tuesday.

Lambert revived his celebrated take on Tears For Fears' "Mad World" and performed a rocking version of Sam Cooke's "Change Gonna Come" as well as a song co-written by new judge Kara DioGuardi.

Allen offered up his versions of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" and Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On," along with his own take on the DioGuardi song.

Wednesday night's show stressed a lavish display of guest star performances and allowed many of the deposed "Idol" contestants to retake the stage, including Allison Iraheta, who got to sing "Time After Time" with Cyndi Lauper.

Allen and Lambert had the chance to sing with some of their own idols: Allen appeared with Keith Urban. Lambert performed with Kiss. Other guest stars included Queen Latifah, Lionel Ritchie, Jason Mraz and Carlos Santana.

The judges leaned in neither singer's direction Wednesday night. Even the snarky Simon called them both "brilliant." But in the end, it seemed that voters took stock of each candidate's style, talent and character - and picked the one who looked and acted most like them.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

Read more: nydailynews.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 07:10:12 AM »

‘Idol’ Machine Cranks Out a New Star
Published: May 20, 2009
By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

America chose sweetness over sizzle, small-town reticence over Vegas swagger, or as Ryan Seacrest put it, the guy next door over “the guyliner.”

It’s possible that “American Idol” viewers’ selection of Kris Allen over Adam Lambert says something about the mood and mores of the country, that viewers are too conformist to anoint a sassy, androgynous individualist. Then again, maybe not: Mr. Allen’s victory may merely reflect the voters’ conventional taste in pop music.

The choice of Mr. Allen, revealed during the two-hour finale on Fox on Wednesday night, wasn’t a breakthrough decision, even if a record 100 million votes were cast. The winsome Mr. Allen sings well, but he sounds like a lot of other good singers. Mr. Lambert, who tops his singing with a soulful screech somewhere between the blues and a smoke alarm, was like no one else.

But it isn’t necessary to seek deeper meaning in the finale; it’s the “American Idol” franchise itself that best speaks to the state of the nation.

“American Idol” matters not just as a pop culture phenomenon, but as an institution that works — with scary efficiency — at a time when so many other American enterprises seem flawed or imperiled. It stands out this season in particular: “American Idol” is a money-making machine in the middle of a worldwide recession, an old-fashioned must-see television hit at a time when the Internet and cable have eaten away at the networks’ hegemony.

It was a little sad to see all of the 13 “Idol” contestants, reunited and singing and dancing, “I Will Remember” in the service of the Ford Fusion. (Mr. Lambert and Mr. Allen each got a free car.) If only Ford could make and sell its cars as well as “American Idol” makes promotional videos to sell its sponsor, the economy might be in better shape.

The battle between Kris and Adam was one of the best, not just because these finalists were so gifted and such good foils, but because the “American Idol” engine is so fine-tuned. The finale, a two-hour exercise in delaying gratification, was as star-studded as an Academy Awards ceremony (Steve Martin, KISS, Cyndi Lauper and Keith Urban), but faster-paced and more fun.

The whole season went as smoothly. Even a feisty fourth judge, the songwriter Kara DioGuardi, didn’t disrupt the commedia dell’arte routine perfected by Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson. There were early expectations of a catfight between the two women, but most of the hissing centered on Mr. Cowell.

His digs at Ms. DioGuardi were acid — notably his disdain for the histrionic pop song “No Boundaries,” which she co-wrote and which Mr. Allen had to sing after he won. Ms. DioGuardi got her chance to upstage Mr. Cowell — and Katrina Darrell, a k a Bikini Girl — on Wednesday night. Ms. DioGuardi joined the infamous rejected contestant on stage and ripped open her dress to reveal a flash of bikini of her own — for charity, she said.

Usually, it’s Ms. Abdul’s weird behavior and odd statements that draw all the scrutiny. Ms. Abdul coyly sat out most of the season’s drama. She was so suspiciously eloquent this season that on Wednesday she was honored with a quick-edit montage of her pronouncing, with a bit of struggle, words like “instinctual” and “authenticity.”

Year after year, contestants display not just talent and poise, but a remarkable adaptability to the roles assigned to them: Mr. Allen never fell out of character as the humble, earnest country boy from Arkansas; Mr. Lambert always maintained his confident, good-humored aplomb. “American Idol” finalists stay on message in dressing rooms, airplanes and in the denouement. “It feels good,” Mr. Allen said. “But Adam deserves this.”

But it’s the relentlessness of the salesmanship that is really striking — the iTunes link, thematically appropriate promotional recaps on the Web site (“moments that made you smile” sponsored by Crest) and the seamless product placement — every pretaped scene of contestants going home is artfully positioned in front of an AT&T store. Coca-Cola is on the set (quite literally, with huge company logos as backdrops). On Wednesday, State Farm Insurance pulled out all the “American Idol” stops with a musical montage of heart-wrenching American tableaus — cancer walks, Katrina reconstruction, helping the disabled — to the tune of the Jackson 5’s “I’ll Be There.”

Yet the show’s brash commercialism is cut with “Idol Gives Back” philanthropy — appeals for donations by pop stars that last season raised more than $60 million. This season, Alicia Keys introduced a 15-year-old Rwandan rapper Noah who performed to help raise money for the Keep A Child Alive foundation.

The show is bigger than its parts. It’s a knockoff of a British talent competition that has become the apotheosis of American pop entertainment. It’s a live show so elaborately edited and overly produced that it seems taped, yet at the same time, this formulaic series still manages to look spontaneous even in its eighth iteration.

nytimes.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »

AI 8 Finale Photo Gallery at newsday.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 07:19:02 AM »

May 21st, 2009
Lambert says Allen won “Idol” because he’s “a great artist”

Posted by: Nichola Groom

Adam Lambert surprised and awed fans all season with his unique brand of vocal gymnastics and dramatic flair, but nothing shocked “Glambert” followers more than when he placed second to low-key Kris Allen in the ultra-popular singing competition on Wednesday night.

Lambert himself, however, appeared unfazed by the loss of the “Idol” crown. Backstage after the show, he said he looks forward to making an album, and blew off the suggestion that his sexuality had anything to do with the season’s outcome.

“First or second– it doesn’t matter to me,” Lambert, who was clad in a black Roberto Cavalli jacket with a flashy brooch, told reporters. “For me it’s not really about what happened tonight, it’s about tomorrow. It’s about next.”

When one reporter suggested that the blogosphere would speculate about whether he lost because of questions about his sexuality, Lambert avoided confirming or denying that he is gay.

“Blogs have a lot of opinions, don’t they? I think that Kris won because he’s a great artist and I was happy to be a runner-up to that,” he said, adding that he and Allen had found a lot of common ground despite their very different backgrounds and styles.

“If there’s anything that can come from this experience, and I hope that all the fans out there can pick up on, is that even if you’re really different there’s a way to get along with each other,” Lambert said. “And it’s not about ‘Oh, you beat me because of this,’ or ‘You, you’re different.’ It’s about finding the common stuff that makes it work.”

(Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis)

blogs.reuters.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 07:21:33 AM »

May 21, 2009
The Rushfield Review: Kris Allen gives 'American Idol' back its heart
01:15 AM PT, May 21 2009

Finals Some brief thoughts after an emotional night.  More post-mortem to follow tomorrow.

Tonight, American Idol found its heart.

In all the talk and punditry about this season, there was often a sense that what was missing wasn’t a clear problem with the judges or the rules or the format or the contestants --  even something almost ineffable, beyond the grasp of producers to help it.

By the time the top 13 emerged, few argued about the pure talent of the group -- many said they might be the most talented finalists ever.  But still something was missing. Perhaps it was their very talent that made it seem too practiced, too careful, too easy.  In past seasons, you could count on one or two catastrophic belly flops per episode.  This year we barely had a handful in the whole season.  We were spared the pain, but lost some of the pathos.  And with it the show somehow felt just a bit too slick and polished.

And at the center of the well-scrubbed service sat the phenomenon of the season, Adam Lambert.  If the rest made competing look easy, Lambert had the prodigy’s ability to make it look as though blowing the lid off all conceivable expectations was something he was born knowing how to do.

But while the public gaped in awe at Lambert’s virtuosity, one quiet young man, week after week kept delivering performances that were a quiet way solid at worst, and often intensely beautiful.  We never saw his audition video.  We never saw his Green Mile sing-off.  Nothing cued us to expect anything of Kris Allen.  Indeed, every week he seemed almost to expect to be eliminated.  But he stayed and little by little, while others' virtuosity flowered,   Kris Allen slowly came to embody the "American Idol" dream – the idea that a kid from the outskirts of nowhere could line up to sing a song, a few months later, if he stays true to who he is and where he came from – a world beyond his wildest dreams could be his.

That was never Adam’s story.  One always had the slight sense that Adam understood that Idol was just a step in his career. That while others thought they had reached the pinnacle of the known universe, Adam understood there were in fact, higher peaks waiting ahead for him.  An understandable sentiment from anyone with a bit of exposure to the entertainment business, but not one that brought tears to people’s eyes when they thought of his journey.

I first talked to Kris at the party after the Top 13 announcement. I found him standing alone while other contestants were being mobbed, and I asked him if he was prepared for his life to change completely.  He seemed taken aback by the question, focused on how thrilled he was just to be there that week, and it seemed, with little expectation of anything more being handed to him – let alone his “life being changed.”

Two months later, I talked with him again on the night of his best friend Matt Giraud’s save and he seemed as nice, decent, grounded and unaffected as ever – quite a feet to maintain while at the center of the Idol bubble.

None of this is not to say that Adam Lambert is not every inch as nice a guy and decent a soul as Kris; to all appearances he is and his family are heartwarmingly loving and supportive- his father incredibly touchingly donning black nail polish to support his son.  But Adam in his unbelievable prowess seemed bigger than the traditional "Idol" narrative, while Chris in his quiet, powerful and unaffected way embodied it like a tailor made glove.

Adam is going to do fine, and for those who are swearing tonight they will never watch again, they have "American Idol" to thank for the great career that lies before Adam Lambert.  One of the things "American Idol" does is introduce the nation to a regular stream of supernaturally virtuoso performers.   These tend not to win "American Idol" but to go on remarkable careers.  Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson obviously come to mind.

But choosing a winner is not just about mathematically choosing a performer; a TV show choosing a winner is about telling a story. Kris Allen, more than any winner since Carrie Underwood, brought the show back to its original promise, its central narrative; that all this could be given to someone truly plucked from the masses, and that they could take it all, live the fantasy, while remaining true to themselves.  Kris. in the quiet power of his performance, and his humble, unmistakable personal goodness, gave the show back its heart and a story that will bring tears to the eyes of all who behold it for ages to come.

NOTE:  Please join us tomorrow, noon PT/3 pm ET for our last post-game chat at latimes.com/Idoltracker.

-- Richard Rushfield

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 07:23:54 AM »

'American Idol's' bigger message
11:53 PM PT, May 18 2009

Finalists Adam Lambert and Kris Allen help illustrate how people with cultural differences can make beautiful music together.

The two-part finale of hit series "American Idol," which begins tonight, is the most talked-about thing in television right now, partly because this season's contenders, Adam Lambert and Kris Allen, are exciting performers. But it's also because they have done something unexpected: Their unlikely friendship has presented America with a new vision of itself, beyond the deepest divisions of the culture wars.

Adam3 Lambert is a rocker from the liberal urban Southland with roots in musical theater and the Hollywood club scene. Allen is a collegiate evangelical Christian from Arkansas. Lambert has been compared to Queen's Freddie Mercury and Elvis Presley; Allen recalls John Mayer and the Jonas Brothers.

At a time when change is in the air but the old conflicts over religion, lifestyle and sexuality aren't going away, this eighth season of "American Idol" is vividly illustrating how people with cultural differences can make beautiful music together.

Lambert was this season's first major sensation, and remains its biggest star. "I've been an 'Idol' fan since Season 5, and as far as I can tell he's the strongest musical talent who's ever been in the competition," said Alex Ross, music critic for the New Yorker. "Beyond the flair and style he's a very technically secure, accurate singer who is especially good at getting the words across -- diction and such -- and finding different colors for different songs."

Lambert's dazzling tenor and propensity for high notes have made for many memorable "Idol" moments. But in this era of Internet leaks, what's become known about his life beyond the show has made an equally important impression.

When photographs of Lambert, 27, kissing a man overran the Internet in March, Lambert brushed off the incident with a smile and a new motto: "I know who I am." Several gay contestants have been on the program, but none has made it so far while being this nonchalant about his sexuality.

"In terms of the sexuality question, that's up to him to say, but he's obviously not conventionally masculine in how he dresses and how he talks, and there's no sense that he's ever tried to hide it," said Ross. "He's totally matter of fact -- and that is really startling to see on mainstream TV. It seems almost heroic to me."

Lambert's competition is Allen, a 23-year-old worship leader at New Life Church in Conway, Ark., who was doing missionary work in Asia and Africa during the years Lambert was building his pop resume. Allen was one of several actively Christian musicians to make this year's Top 10, who will tour as a group this summer.

Lambert and Allen have a musical connection: Both specialize in variations of the form of alternative rock known as emo, an emotionally forthright, catchy variation on American punk music. While Lambert's dyed-black hair and eyeliner recall bands like My Chemical Romance, Allen's warble and his love of acoustic guitar link him to artists like Dashboard Confessional's Chris Carrabba, who himself is open about his Christian faith.

"Adam Lambert belongs to the more theatrical strand, with the black nail polish and the black hair, the darker expression of emo," said Karen Tongson, an assistant professor of English and gender studies at USC. "Kris Allen comes from the folkier, more acoustic, clean-cut element of emo. The connection between Christian rock and emo has always been there in the folkier strains."

That the "Idol" finale has come down to these seeming polar opposites who share so much is particularly notable, given the seemingly constant presence of sexual politics in the news. The California Supreme Court might soon confirm or overturn the state's voter-mandated ban on gay marriage. Miss California USA Carrie Prejean made waves by stating her personal opposition to same-sex unions when she was questioned at a pageant.

In this complicated climate, one painted thumbnail means a lot. Allen began decorating one of his black -- one of Lambert's favorite colors -- late in the season, apparently to dispel rumors that the pair, who were roommates in the show-sponsored mansion where the finalists reside, were feuding. Lambert reportedly later removed the paint from one of his thumbs in his own gesture of support.

The friendship between the two finalists suggests that tolerance can trump ideology, a powerful sentiment that echoes President Obama's suggestion that bridging differences could be more effective than trying to eradicate them.

"This is part of the spirit and ethos of an America after Obama. His whole rhetoric fits into the desires of our political culture after such a divisive period. And that's also playing itself out on 'Idol,' " said Tongson.

Each singer has fans who should be rooting for the other one, according to the usual patterns linked to the culture wars. Some commentators have tried to make a stir over Lambert's sexuality -- Bill O'Reilly questioned Lambert's appropriateness as a singing role model on his Fox News program. But he seems to have many Christian admirers.

"My husband and I are Baby Boomer Christians and we LOVE Adam Lambert! After 8 seasons, we finally have the contestant who defines the title," wrote one reader in the comments section of Newsweek magazine's Pop Vox blog.

Allen has definitely benefited from the Christian vote, but he also has a sizable fan base among gay men. He's been featured on plenty of gay-oriented blogs, admired for his looks and low-key personality.

"It seems like he's a very giving, warm, vulnerable, good person, and he has musical intellect way beyond his age," said filmmaker and producer Marc Huestis, a prominent presence in San Francisco's gay community. "The problem with Adam is he's invulnerable. Kris is always working really hard. He feels like an artist to me."

Like many viewers, Huestis has put his support behind both Lambert and Allen, depending on the musical performances.

Lambert might dye his hair black and wear tight, shiny clothes, but he's been careful to "change up" his performances, alternating hard rock turns that feature his trademark high wail and restrained, subtle readings of ballads like "The Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson.

Considering that the current Top 40 is ruled by edgy figures like the self-styled disco dominatrix Lady GaGa and hip-hop "Martian" Lil Wayne, Lambert's style is almost traditional -- by leather-clad rocker standards.

Allen, who possesses a mellow tenor, seems at first like a much safer artist, but he's also developed a flair for taking chances. His song choices have been among the season's most surprising: He opted for a song written by Bob Dylan during country week, and the Oscar-winning but still relatively obscure "Falling Slowly," from the indie sleeper "Once," when asked to choose a song from a film.

His fairly highbrow taste relates to a strategy used by nondenominational churches like the one Allen attends in Arkansas: Draw in younger believers by offering really good music and a general aura of hipness. Allen, though devout, never comes off as pompous or overly proper.

Lambert and Allen might be the most unlikely pair on television this year, but their bond has helped make this singing competition more than just entertainment, no matter which man wins.

"It is fantasy," said Ross. "Out there in the real world people aren't getting along so comfortably. The guy who sings musical theater and dresses flamboyantly isn't necessarily going to be bonding with the jock types in high school.

But sometimes a mirror image has the power of pointing toward a future reality. It's not sufficient in itself but it adjoins to another bunch of things that seem to be happening in our society, old prejudices falling away."

-- Ann Powers

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 06:36:27 AM »

Wednesday Ratings: American Idol finale draws 40 million for last 7 minutes

Posted on 21 May 2009 by Robert Seidman

Scoreboard                            FOX            CBS             Uni             NBC    ABC             CW
Rating/Share: Adults 18-49    10.0    2.8/8    1.4/4    1.3/4    1.2/3    0.4/1
Rating/Share: Adults 18-34    7.6            1.7/5    1.4/4    0.9/3    1.0/3    0.4/1
Total Viewers (mill)      28.84    11.06    3.52    5.32    3.42    1.27

The American Idol finale averaged 28.8 million and a 10.0 rating among adults 18-49 in time zone adjusted preliminary numbers between 8pm-10:07pm.  Last year’s  two hour Wednesday  finale drew 30.6 million and a 11.0 rating with adults 18-49 in preliminary (non time zone adjusted) numbers.  In the final live plus same day ratings numbers for last year’s finale,  Idol wound up at 31.7 million and an 11.4 adults 18-49 rating.  Since the time zone adjusted preliminary numbers will likely track closely with the finals it looks Idol was down around 9% in total viewers and 13% for adults 18-49.   DVR viewing beyond the same night might bring things a little closer to last year, but we won’t know for a few weeks.

For anyone who cares, in the NON time-zone adjusted numbers, Idol averaged 27.71 million and a 9.6/27 (rating/share) with adults 18-49 between 8pm-10pm.

Only CBS even tried to put up a fight, with finales of Old Christine, Gary Unmarried and a two hour Criminal Minds finale (which performed admirably, given the circumstances!)

Update: data now included below and I’ve included the half hour data, plus the final seven minutes for Idol (check out those last 7 minutes!) Please note the Idol data is time-zone adjusted but the other shows/networks data below isn’t…

Previous Wednesday overnight reports are available for comparison.

Full details:

Time    Net    Show                          18-49 Rating/Share 18-34 Rating/Share    Viewers
8:00    FOX    American Idol Finale     10.00                            7.6                   28.84
           CBS    New Adv of Old Christine   1.6/5                            1.0/4              5.65
           NBC    Law & Order: CI              1.1/3                            0.6/2              4.96
           ABC    Pirates of the Carribean      1.0/3                            1.0/3              3.42
           CW    Movie: Take the Lead      0.4/1                            0.4/2              1.24

8:30    CBS    Gary Unmarried (Finale)      1.7/5                            1.0/3              5.55

9:00    CBS    Criminal Minds (Finale)       3.1/8                            1.9/6            12.40
           ABC    Pirates of the Carribean     1.2/3                            1.1/3              3.27
           NBC    Law & Order: SVU (R)       1.0/3                            0.7/2              4.30
           CW    Movie: Take the Lead       0.5/1                            0.5/2              1.30

10:00    CBS    Criminal Minds (Finale)       3.9/10                            2.2/7            15.17
           NBC    Law & Order                       1.9/5                            1.4/4              6.70
           ABC    Pirates of the Carribean        1.3/3                            1.2/3              3.58

8:00            American Idol Finale    7.80                            6                    23.22
   8:30            American Idol Finale    8.90                           6.6                    26.53
   9:00            American Idol Finale  10.50                           7.8                    30.13
   9:30            American Idol Finale  11.70                           9                    32.85
   10:00-10:07    American Idol Finale  14.90                         11.8                    40.10

-
Shows are sorted by Adults 18-49 rating in each time slot.

Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2009 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

Definitions:

Fast Affiliate Ratings: These first national ratings, including demographics, are available at approximately 11 AM (ET) the day after telecast, and are released to subscribing customers daily. These data, from the National People Meter sample, are strictly time-period information, based on the normal broadcast network feed, and include all programming on the affiliated stations, sometimes including network programming, sometimes not. The figures may include stations that did not air the entire network feed, as well as local news breaks or cutaways for local coverage or other programming. Fast Affiliate ratings are not as useful for live programs and are likely to differ significantly from the final results, because the data reflect normal broadcast feed patterns. For example, with a World Series game, Fast Affiliate Ratings would include whatever aired from 8-11PM on affiliates in the Pacific Time Zone, following the live football game, but not game coverage that begins at 5PM PT. The same would be true of Presidential debates as well as live award shows and breaking news reports.

Rating: Estimated percentage of the universe of TV households (or other specified group) tuned to a program in the average minute. Ratings are expressed as a percent.

Share (of Audience): The percent of households (or persons) using television who are tuned to a specific program, station or network in a specific area at a specific time. (See also, Rating, which represents tuning or viewing as a percent of the entire population being measured.)

Time Shifted Viewing – Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data – Live, Live+Same Day (Live+SD) and Live+7 Day. Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs which are currently in approximately 24.4% of all U.S. TV households. Live+Same Day (Live+SD) include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

tvbythenumbers.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 06:39:32 AM »

Kris Allen Talks ‘Idol’ Win: ‘I’m Just A Regular Guy’

FIRST PUBLISHED: May 21, 2009 4:54 PM EDT
LAST UPDATED: May 21, 2009 6:37 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Kris Allen picked up the “American Idol” title on Wednesday night, and while it may have shocked some media pundits who were expecting an Adam Lambert victory, a source close to the show revealed the final vote was not even close.

A top FOX source told Access Hollywood that the vote left Kris as the clear winner by a large margin.

And upon learning the news during his visit to Access Hollywood and “The Billy Bush” show on Wednesday morning, Kris wasn’t sure how to take the information.

“Really?” Kris said. “America’s gonna vote whichever way they want to… I don’t know. Whatever happened last night, was just a — it’s a total surprise for me so I don’t even know how to feel about that.”

When asked why he thought he prevailed over Adam, the 23-year-old Conway, Ark., singer suggested it may have been because he is “just a regular guy.”

“There’s not a whole lot of people that approve of the whole guy-liner thing and the nail polish and all that,” Kris said. “But for me, I love Adam and I think he’s one of the greatest people that I’ve met so far. For me, I’m just a regular guy and I think a lot of people just related to me.”

And Adam had Kris’ back – including just moments after the young man won the title, reminding him he had to sing  “No Boundaries,” a song co-penned by “Idol” judge, Kara DioGuardi.

“Seriously, Adam hugged me and goes, ‘You have to sing that song now.’ I was like ‘Ohhhh gosh!’” Kris said of the moment. “I was like ‘OK, just sing it!’ I thought it went OK.”

As for the song, which Randy Jackson and Kara both decided might be too high for Kris during Tuesday’s competition, Kris admitted it is a tough tune to belt out.

“I like the song. It’s tough to sing, I’m not gonna lie. It’s a rough song, but Kara’s a great writer,” Kris said. “It was so much fun working with her in the studio. She’s a lot of fun to work with.”

Slightly easier was performing with superstars Keith Urban and Queen on the show’s season finale.

“Playing with Keith Urban, it was really great,” Kris said. “Getting to meet him — he’s just a laid back guy, just a cool guy, laid back just like I am and he was like, ‘Lets go out there,’ and that’s what we did. And had a great time and getting to play with Brian May and sing with him and sing with Queen? Wow! That was priceless.”

Another priceless moment came for Kris at the end of the show, when his wife of seven months, Katy, came on stage for a celebratory embrace.

“She’s been my biggest supporter and since we got together seven years ago, she’s always tried to make me work harder at music,” Kris said of his lady love. “She believed in me a lot because there were times when I wanted to give up and she was like, ‘No, don’t stop, you’re really great and you need to keep doing this and you’re not gonna be happy unless you keep doing this,’ and I think she’s happy that my dream has come true.”

accesshollywood.com (video interview at link)

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx