gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 277
Total: 277

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keeping Up With David Cook  (Read 106452 times)
Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #420 on: November 27, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »

From Vail Daily;
American Idol visits Vail Valley
David Cook, winner of the seventh season of the hit show, performs in Vail Valley Sunday

by Caramie Schnell
6/25/09

David Cook won the seventh season of American Idol and returned at the end of season 8, less than three weeks after his brother's death, to sing
Special to the Vail Daily
VAIL VALLEY, Colorado — Less than 24 hours after losing his brother Adam to brain cancer, David Cook ran the Race for Hope in the nation's capital to honor his older sibling.

After the race, Cook spoke to the cheering crowd gathered in support of brain tumor research.

“Like everyone here, I'm affected by the disease,” Cook said in a video of the event posted on YouTube. “I actually lost my brother yesterday to a brain tumor.”

Choked up, Cook paused for a few moments.

“I couldn't imagine being anywhere else right now,” he said.

Cook, 25, talked about the difficulty of that speech during a phone interview this week.

“I actually flip flopped on (telling people about his brother's death) a lot,” Cook said. “It came down to yeah, my brother is gone, but a lot of people are still fighting and my brother would have wanted me to do it.”

Searching for a ‘Permanent' cure
Cook won the seventh season of American Idol and returned at the end of season 8, less than three weeks after his brother's death, to sing “Permanent.” He wrote the song with Chantal Kreviazuk and Raine Maida especially for Adam and it was one of the last songs he finished for his new, self-titled album.

“It was one of those things where we got in the studio and the song came across exactly as it was in my head, it was a really cool moment,” he said.

Proceeds from the live “charity single,” which was available through iTunes, went to Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure (ABC2), a Washington, D.C.-based organization dedicated to finding a cure for brain cancer.

Cook visits Beaver Creek for the first time — he said he's never been to Colorado — on Sunday night for a concert at the Vilar Performing Arts Center. Concert attendees will almost assuredly hear the song.

Kris Sabel, the Vilar Center's executive director, said adding Cook to the summer lineup was an easy decision.

“The whole American Idol thing appeals to such a broad group of people and because they were interested in getting a lot of exposure, we were able to keep the ticket price very affordable — it's a great opportunity,” Sabel said.

‘Even if it's just for a minute'
Cook enjoyed a homecoming this week when he performed a show in Tulsa, Okla. After graduating from the University of Central Missouri in 2006 with a degree in graphic design, Cook moved to Tulsa to pursue a career in music. He told his family he wanted to give himself until he was 26 years old to get a job.

“Being there yesterday, seeing friends, it was a trip man. I had that nostalgic feeling and was thinking to myself, oh my God, it wasn't long ago I was here and couldn't afford my $200 a month rent.”

While Cook was living in Tulsa, working as a bartender to support himself, his younger brother Andrew asked him to go to Omaha with him and try out for American Idol. Both the boys tried out and and while Andrew didn't make the cut, Cook, of course, did.

If he'd never made that fateful trip to Nebraska, Cook is pretty sure he'd still be living in Tulsa.

“I'd probably be doing the same thing I was doing before — bartending and playing music and trying to get people to pay attention.”

And as far as any potential “Idol stigma” that might color his career, Cook is having none of it.

“I don't get it. (American Idol) is an opportunity for people who may not have had the chance to be heard and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

“I get to do what I love for a living,” Cook said. “Even if it's just for a minute, I'm extremely fortunate."

Vail Daily

wave ~Kelly~

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #421 on: November 27, 2009, 09:17:13 AM »

From Tulsa Today;
David Cook rocks Cain’s
by Tracy Crain
6/25/09

David Cook played to a standing room only crowd at Cain’s Ballroom on Tuesday night, where there was a warm and romantic welcome.

A proposal was made moments before he was scheduled to perform. Out of nowhere, a gentleman came to the microphone. He called out to his girlfriend, who was standing in the crowd and asked her to the front. He then proposed. It was sweet and she said “yes” as the sound of cheers filled the room.

Security then tightened around the stage where photographers and media stood to the side and in front of the barricades, waiting with an ever growing crowd, for Cook.

Suddenly, lights came on and flickered, applause echoed and he came bursting onto the stage. The first song was “Heroes.”

His voice was strong. Dressed in black jeans, a black t-shirt and a pair of black boots, he looked great and comfortable. Overall, he had firm control of his stage performance, which did not disappoint.

Throughout his hour and 15 minute set, such hits as “Declaration,” and “Come Back to Me,” were heard.

He frequently addressed the audience. He spoke of his early days in Tulsa as the crowd interacted and communicated back.

“I remember three years ago, I was harassing Phil to let me book a show here. Tonight we sold out,” he said. The crowd cheered enthusiastically.

Cook gave a performance of “Shattered Dreams,” and “Til I’m Blue.” He spoke of a couch at 41st and Yale Streets, where he spent some time songwriting. His two closing songs, “Light On,” and “A Daily Anthem,” drew significant crowed reaction.

As one Tulsa Today reader, Cori Griswold, of Connecticut, wrote in to say, “My favorite thing about seeing David Cook in concert is that he really connects with the audience and makes each person feel a part of the show. His band is incredibly tight with great chemistry. It isn't often that you can say a band sounds better live than on a produced album but it is 100% accurate in this case.”

She continued, “After seeing them live, I immediately went looking for tickets to future shows so I could witness it all again!

Ryan Star, currently promoting his “Last Train Home,” EP, was Cook’s opening act. For more information on Star, visit www.rstar.net. For more information on David Cook on future tour dates, please visit: www.davidcookoffical.com

ImageEditor's Post Script: Tulsa Today was proud to be a part of welcoming David Cook back home to Cain‘s Ballroom.

Kevin Pyle, the Tulsa Today photographer attended the show with me. Kevin, members of DCF and the promoters graciously made accommodations for me.

Thanks to security at Cain’s and Kevin, I did have one of the best seats in the house. Positioned about two feet from the stage, I was able to see his Cook’s performance and gauge the fan reaction. It was touching. So heart-felt, compliments filled the air about this Tulsan they so dearly love.

After the show, I went to the newspaper, where publisher David Arnett and I discussed the overwhelming reaction we received to the David Cook article.

Cooks fans far and wide made their presence known and we experienced a tremendous hit count to our website. Your support was overflowing and we thank you so much.

Moments after leaving the paper, I ran into David Cook unexpectedly. Out of the blue, I heard this voice. I turned to look and he was standing right behind me!!!

I was so surprised. We shook hands and I told him of the reaction we had to the interview he gave Tulsa Today. We also spoke of his remaining tour as he posed for a picture and gave autographs to a passerby that had recognized him. He seemed every bit the way so many have described him--authentic, genuine and kind.

Cook indicated he was looking forward to his upcoming performances. Then, we spoke of Kris Allen and an upcoming interview. Cook offered a few comments for the upcoming article on Allen, another Tulsa Today exclusive. Look for that to be posted in the following weeks.

Overall, Cook seemed to be in good spirits, was among friends, and appeared happy to be home.

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #422 on: November 27, 2009, 09:21:51 AM »

From The Denver Post;
Best Bets/Genuine Idol
by John Hendrickson
6/26/09

American pop. In a recent interview with Larry King, David Cook opened up about the death of his brother, Adam, from brain cancer this spring. It was the kind of authenticity that you don't often see from made-for-TV pop stars, let alone past American Idols. But that's what makes David Cook different. He writes his own songs, plays his own guitar and doesn't waste time making screwball moves for TMZ cameras. Cook's rise to stardom has seemed a little more natural, and a little less, well, Seacrest.

The Denver Post

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #423 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »

From Post Independant;
'American Idol' winner Cook plays Belly Up Aspen Tonight
by Janet Urquhart
6/27/09

Belly Up Aspen owner Michael Goldberg has never watched TV's “American Idol,” but that didn't stop the local nightclub from booking “Idol” sensation David Cook for what will undoubtedly be a sold-out show tonight.

The singer-songwriter won season seven of the reality TV singing competition over runner-up David Archuleta and released a self-titled CD six months later that went platinum.

According to the Belly Up's online bio of Cook, he rewrote history when 11 of his songs debuted on Billboard's Hot 100 chart — the highest number of new entries in a single week by an artist since the Beatles in 1964.

“He did a really successful spring tour, selling out everywhere,” Goldberg said.

That, in itself, doesn't ensure an artist will resonate with an Aspen audience, but Goldberg ran Cook's name past a group of informal advisors (he consults different folks for artists of different genres). They resoundingly endorsed booking the club's first appearance by an “American Idol” winner.

“I'm excited to see the show. There are a whole lot of people who are excited to see this show,” said Goldberg, predicting a sellout.

There were fewer than 100 tickets left for Cook's performance by early Friday afternoon.

Post Independent

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #424 on: November 27, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

From the Kansas City Star;
'Idol' winner headlines all-day show with strong voice but dragging set.

David Cook stood at the lip of the stage to marvel at his audience several times during his headlining performance at Sandstone amphitheater.

"This is a huge milestone for me," Cook affirmed.

Prior to winning television's 'American Idol' last year, the former Blue Springs resident had attended the annual Red, White & Boom concert as a fan. On Saturday, more than 14,000 people witnessed Cook's triumphant return to the Bonner Springs venue.

"I don't know about you guys," Cook said, "but I'm having a hell of a time back home."

Cook's voice sounded even stronger and more compelling than it did during his remarkable run on 'Idol'. Cook retains his humble, everyman persona and is supported by an excellent band. Even so, the local hero's potential Achilles' heel was revealed.

It's alarming that a heartfelt cover of Collective Soul's "The World I Know" and a rugged version of Cutting Crew's "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" were the musical highlights of Cook's appearance. While the success of Nickelback has demonstrated there is a massive audience for the melodic hard rock Cook favors, little of his original material is memorable.

A significant portion of his fans seem more interested in demonstrating their support for Cook rather than actually enjoying his music. Consequently, songs like "Light On" might have become hits in spite of their plodding qualities. Cook's 70-minute performance dragged accordingly.

"A few years ago I bought a record called 'History for Sale' by a band called Blue October," Cook noted. "What the hell happened? This is a trip."

The men of Blue October may have been similarly disoriented. Cook's appreciation aside, the veteran rock band had almost no aesthetic affiliation with any of the other nine acts on the bill. Their anthemic songs recall the art rock of Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel. Many of Cook's fans were visibly disturbed by the profranity-laced lyrics and patter of fervent front man Justin Furstenfeld. Salty language aside, Blue October injected a welcome dose of substance into the day.

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #425 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »

From the Examiner:
David Cook talks acting, Michael Jackson, and the music scene today
by Marnie Brodersen
6/29/09

I had the good fortune of pulling some old strings from my Americanidol.com days, and I was able to speak with David Cook on the phone this weekend.  I couldn't wait to ask him about his surprising stage presence that I noticed when I caught his recent show in Del Mar, CA.  It's not that I was shocked that it was such a great show (as I explained to him), but was more intrigued by how much the seemingly subdued singer really came out of his shell and engaged the audience.  As David explained, he has a bit of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde stage persona, and it's something that has evolved further over the last few years.  As he so eloquently put it, the "on stage David" is a bit "more of a pain in the ass!"  I also had to ask him about the cover song that he did, as it's been bugging me that I couldn't remember, and was holding my one-year-old, which presents some challenges when you're trying to take notes.  He said that it was the one-hit-wonder "Shattered Dreams" by a band called Johnny Hates Jazz.  David said that has some other covers up his sleeve, but his band hasn't pulled them out yet, like a hard rock version of "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" and Nine Inch Nails' "Every Day Is Exactly The Same". 

David explained to me the reasoning behind his recent decision to extend his tour, as he said that there were a lot of places that they felt like they didn't hit, and they also feel that they are not the same band now as they were when they started.  He's enjoyed seeing them evolve, as he admits they were fairly green at the onset.  As he put it, "The record still has a lot of legs left," so he wants people to have the full experience.  He's played in a lot of different venues as well, with the inital part of his tour being mainly in college towns.  As far as a dream venue from David, he basically asks "Where do I start?"  He loves the big arenas, and would love to play Madison Square Garden, Red Rocks, The Forum, Arrowhead, Stonehenge, Wembley, and many more. 

As does tend to occur when someone acquires a lot of fame, such as David, he hits the media circuit.  I couldn't help but ask him about his experience(s) with the iconic Larry King, who makes me laugh, whether he's trying to or not.  David said he's been on the show three times now, and he has an absolutely blast, as Larry tells him lots of "cool stories" during the commercial breaks.  I asked him about his comment during the last interview that he's been surprised by how much people ask him about his love life or what he likes to eat, etc., over his music.  He went to say that he's saddened that it used to be "music first, pop culture second," but now it's the other way around. 

Because I see David as being a pretty profound guy, I asked him for his take on the music scene today, and he said that he is a bit disheartened by some of it.  As he explained, so many artists today just go for the singles, where as his band really wanted to release an actual album, complete with a cohesive sound to it.  He "didn't want to make a collection of singles," and he thinks that this "concise idea from start to finish" is the reason they have seen the numbers they have.  As he put it, "We pride ourselves on being a rock band, and you don't see as much of that anymore."  I asked him if anyone had contacted him about the passing of Michael Jackson due to his memorable rendition of "Billie Jean" on Idol, and he said that they had.  David does admit, however, that his success with that performance was a bit of "dumb luck!"  As far as Michael Jackson goes, David said that he thinks that Quincy Jones put it best when he said that a great musician comes along once in a lifetime, but an artist like Michael Jackson only comes along once. 

I've heard David mention in a few interviews that he wants to pursue acting at some point as well, so I asked him to talk a bit more about what kind of acting he's referring to, and he said that he'd like to do whatever comes his way, and that he even read for something recently that he hopes he gets.  He did joke that we're probably not going to see him in High School Musical any time soon, but didn't rule out the possiblity of a role in that either!  David got a bit of acting experience in his video for "Come Back To Me," in which his love interest is played by Disturbia's Sarah Roemer.  He was up front with Sarah about this kind of thing being new to him, and said that she was great to work with.  David also touched on how honored he was to be the only former Idol winner to be featured in a promo for the upcoming season, and he said that the commercial was "shot amazingly."  He joked that nothing beats acting when you don't having any lines, and called the whole thing a "cool experience."  David also said he doesn't plan on distancing himself from the popular show any time soon, as it's plain and simply biting the hand that feeds you. 

David was lucky enough to get a two week break from his hectic tour schedule recently, and during his time off he took his younger brother, Andrew, to a Bryan Adams acoustic show, and was able to hang out with the veteran singer after the show.  He said he got a great bit of advice from Bryan, who told him to make sure he records the music he want to make, and not to stop until he wants to stop.  David plans on doing just that, and will most likely follow up his debut effort with a sophomore album shortly after his current tour wraps.  As David explained, he wants to "take the ideals on this record and expand them."  As far as writing a song about the extremely devastating recent passing of his brother, Adam, David said he's not sure about that.  Only time will tell

Examiner

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #426 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »

From MTV.com;
David Cook Remembers Michael Jackson, The Global Icon
'He blew pop music wide open, and made it bigger than just music, you know?' the 'American Idol' alum says.

by James Mongomery
6/30/09

In some roundabout way, it's entirely possible that David Cook might not have won the seventh season of "American Idol" if it weren't for Michael Jackson.

See, it was his edgy take on "Billie Jean" — which was, for accuracy's sake, actually a take on Chris Cornell's version on the song — during the sixth week of the competition that took Cook from underdog to frontrunner, eventually carrying him to the "Idol" crown, a platinum-plus debut album and millions of fans around the world.

So, naturally, when he learned of the death of Jackson, he felt the need to pay respects to the man — and not just for his excellent songbook, either.

"The impact Michael Jackson has had on me as an artist is the same impact he's had on everyone ... he blew pop music wide open, and made it bigger than just music, you know?" Cook told MTV News. "That's viewed [in terms of] the short films he made for music videos, plus look at the cultural gaps: There's people that know no English except for the two words 'Michael' and 'Jackson.' And that's pretty incredible."

And that global reach is what astonishes Cook the most about Jackson. He credits the King of Pop for taking mainstream music to the mega masses ... and paving the way for all pop stars who have followed since. Without Jackson, there would be no Britney, no Beyoncé — no David Cook.

"To think that Michael Jackson as more influence on the world than presidents and world leaders, that's huge," he said. "And the fact that he was able to do that, I think, is what allows people like me to go out and perform music and have it matter in some small sense, I guess."

MTV.com

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #427 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »

From Vail Daily;
Rising 'Idol' star to shine in Vail Valley; David Cook will perform in Vail Valley in June at the Vilar Center in Beaver Creek
by Kris Sabel
5/21/09

In the last few weeks, we’ve added three new shows to the Vilar Center’s summer concert series in Colorado's Vail Valley. “American Idol” winner David Cook will perform in Beaver Creek on June 28; comedian Paul Rodriguez brings his side-splitting standup on July 13; and 80s pop/rock icon Rick Springfield will round out the summer with a huge party of a concert on Aug. 29.

These are exciting additions to an already stellar lineup. They provide even greater diversity, helping ensure that we truly have something for everyone in these upcoming summer months.

Tickets for the entire season go on sale June 1. Tickets for Blood, Sweat & Tears with Chuck Negron, Peter Frampton and Michael Bolton are already on sale. Diana Krall’s Aug. 2 concert has already sold out.

For those unfamiliar with Cook, he is a rock singer-songwriter who rose to fame after winning the seventh season of “American Idol” last May.

This past Wednesday, exactly one year after winning “Idol,” Cook returned to perform “Permanent,” off his platinum selling album, “David Cook.” The live recording is now available for purchase on iTunes, and 100 percent of the proceeds will go to Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure (ABC2), a Washington, D.C.-based organization dedicated to finding a cure for brain cancer.

Since winning “Idol,” Cook has had a busy and productive year. He has broken several Billboard chart records. Most notable was his record-shattering feat of having 11 songs debut on the Hot 100 in one week, beating the previous record set by Miley Cyrus in 2006 when she had six songs debut on the chart. Cook’s 11 charting songs also gave him the most songs by one artist on the Hot 100 of any week in the Nielsen SoundScan era (which began in 1991), and the most of any era since The Beatles placed 14 songs on the chart the week of April 11, 1964.

In addition, that same week Cook also broke the record for the most debuts on Billboard’s Hot Digital Songs chart, where he placed 14 debut entries, the record of which was previously six set by Bon Jovi in 2007. His debut album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association for America.

Cook embarked on a national tour in February of 2009 that was supposed to end in April. The tour has since been extended through October, which has made it possible for us to bring this rising star to our community.

Other highlights for Cook over the last year include: he won best reality/variety star from the Teen Choice Awards; was featured on the cover of The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2009, along with President Barack Obama and Senator John McCain; was a musical guest on “Saturday Night Live;” appeared at the 2008 Glamour magazine Women of the Year Awards to surprise honoree Hillary Clinton; performed on the American Music Red Carpet Live; and performed The Star-Spangled Banner at Game 3 of the 2008 NBA Finals and the opening weekend of the 2008 NFL season. Cook started 2009 by performing songs from his debut album for the troops during a USO tour, where he was able to visit seven bases.

Cook recently lost his older brother Adam to brain cancer. This month he ran in honor of Adam in the Race for Hope in Washington D.C., where his team raised over $100,000 for the cause. And as I mentioned earlier, all the proceeds from his live recording this week on “Idol” (available on iTunes) will also go to help find a cure.

David Cook has a broad base of fans from his tenure on “Idol,” and an ever-growing base of devotees that are following his huge successes since the show. We hope you can join us on June 28 to experience the music of one of the hottest young rock stars on the music scene.

We hope to see you at the theater!

Vail Daily

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #428 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »

From The Galveston County Daily News;
Former 'American Idol' winner coming to island
by Joshua Buchly
7/3/09

Touring across the country singing in front of sold-out crowds is so much fun that David Cook said it sometimes feels like he’s stealing.

That’s why the former “American Idol” winner and platinum recording rock artist is glad he’s getting a chance to do his part in the Galveston recovery process.

Cook will perform at the Moody Gardens Outdoor Amphitheater on Sunday as part of the Concerts on the Gulf series. A portion of the ticket proceeds will benefit the Galveston Recovery Fund.

“Being able to do what I do every day, play music and travel, that’s an amazing privilege,” Cook said. “To come to Galveston and be a small part of helping an area is important to me. I feel like we are doing something bigger than ourselves.”

Cook became a household name last year, when he was a contestant on the seventh season of the hit show “American Idol.” Putting a new spin on classic favorites, Cook quickly became a star and won the show’s title by more than 12 million votes over runner-up David Archuleta.

The week of the show’s conclusion, Cook had a record-breaking 11 songs debut on the Billboard’s Hot 100. It was the highest number of new entries and the second-highest amount of simultaneous hits since the Beatles in 1964.

His debut album, “David Cook,” released in November and went platinum with more than 1 million sales in January.

“I lucked out, because after the show was over, I wasn’t sure what was going to happen,” Cook said. “But 19 Entertainment said, ‘Hey, we know you can do it,’ so they let me make the record that I wanted.

“I think what I love most about the album, is that with the time crunch, there is a frantic energy undermining it. I wanted to make a rock record with pop sensibility, and I think we were successful with that. It’s cohesive from start to finish.”

Cook has been traveling the country on the “Declaration” tour since February. Since Cook was born in Houston, he was excited to add the tour stop in Galveston, after receiving plenty of interest in coming down to the island.

“Galveston was adamant about me coming down, and I was excited to go near where I was born,” Cook said. “We moved from Houston when I was about 1½ years old, so I don’t remember much. Hopefully, I’ll have a little bit of time before or after the show to do some exploring.”

Cook said he’s excited about performing at an outdoor venue, though it can be a bit more physically taxing.

“Outdoor shows seem more real to me,” Cook said. “Indoor venues are always climate-controlled, which is nice. When you perform outdoors, you have to deal with the elements and all that. But some of the best shows I’ve ever seen have been in the pouring rain, so I prefer the outdoors.”

There is no rain in the weather forecast for Sunday, though temperatures will be around 90 degrees when Cook takes the stage at 7 p.m.

“So I guess should wear a tank top and booty shorts,” Cook said with a laugh.

The Daily News

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #429 on: November 27, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »

From 2 The Advocate.com;
David Cook credits experience with 'Idol' win
by John Wirt
7/3/09

Like millions throughout the world, 2008 American Idol winner David Cook grew up with Michael Jackson.

“Michael Jackson’s important to me in the same way that he’s important to music in general,” the touring Cook said Saturday from Aspen, Colo.

“Michael took pop music and made it more than pop music. He made it pop culture, he made it music history. You don’t earn the nickname ‘king of pop’ on a whim. His contributions to music are incalculable.”

Although Cook was born in 1982, the year that Jackson’s most successful album, Thriller, was released, Jackson’s decades of stardom, which began in 1969 with the Jackson 5’s first hit, lasted long enough for Cook and his peers to be among Jackson’s fans.

“Just like every kid, I would listen to Michael Jackson and scream,” Cook remembered. “And then we’d see the Thriller video all the time around Halloween.”

One of Jackson’s greatest hits, “Billie Jean,” helped Cook win his American Idol crown last year. Cook based his performance not on the Jackson original, but on a ballad-style, 2007 remake by rock musician Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, Audioslave and solo fame.

“We were doing songs from the year we were born that week,” Cook said. “I saw ‘Billie Jean’ on the list, so I looked for alternate versions and I found Chris Cornell’s version. It was moody. It had a vibe that fit me. Not that I consider myself Chris Cornell or anything, but I felt like it was something I could have fun with. And it just kind of snowballed. I wasn’t expecting it to be received like it was.”

Cook ultimately won the competition, but even more than a year later, and after his self-titled debut album sold a million-plus copies, the 26-year-old Cook is not one to brag. He credits his success to the years of experience he brought to the American Idol stage.

“That was the one thing that kept me in it,” he said. “I was not the best singer on the show that season. Carly (Smithson) and Syesha (Mercado) and David (Archuleta) and Brooke (White) and Michael (Johns), they have better voices than I do. They did more with their instruments than I did, but I knew what kind of music I could do, what my niche was, so it was just a matter of catering songs to that.”

Cook was working on his second indie album when he accompanied his younger brother, Andrew, to American Idol auditions in Omaha.

“I got talked into auditioning at the last minute,” he said. “I didn’t really see American Idol as my path. I was living in Tulsa and working on records. I was content but then I figured, ‘OK, fine. Nothing’s gonna come out of it, but I’ll do it.’ But I was wrong. I’ll take this kind of wrong.”

Cook’s first priority after his Idol win was making a new album.

“We started writing a few days after the finale and we began recording July 1, the same day that the American Idol tour started,” Cook said. “I had, like, two days off all summer.”

Rob Cavallo, producer of the chart-topping new Dave Matthews Band album, as well as recordings by Green Day, Fleetwood Mac, Goo Goo Dolls, Avril Lavigne, Shinedown and Alanis Morissette, guided Cook’s major-label debut.

“I loved working with Rob,” Cook said. “He brought stuff out of me that I don’t think anybody else could have. Rob is primarily responsible for this record being what it is.”

Due to the American Idol tour and a November release date, production for Cook’s album was hasty.

“We pushed the limits,” the singer said. “But there’s a youthful energy in it because of the schedule and the record actually represents me. But I’m looking forward to the next record, to expanding on the ideas that we have on this one and having more time to do so.”

2 The Advocate

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #430 on: November 27, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »

From BAM's blog;
David Cook plays Tulsa's Grey Snail, performing tonight in Thackerville
by Brandy
7/3/09

David Cook performs an acoustic set at Tulsa’s Gray Snail Saloon June 23 after his sell-out show at Cain’s Ballroom. The former Tulsan and Season 7 “American Idol” winner will play tonight at Winstar World Casino in Thackerville. (Photos provided by Cathie Dillard)

Gray Snail Saloon talent still Cook-ing
It’s no secret: Season 7 ‘American Idol’ winner still packs ‘em into Tulsa nightspot where he had standing gig

When David Cook takes the stage tonight at Thackerville’s Winstar World Casino, it will be his third Oklahoma show in less than two weeks.

Actually, it will be his fourth, if you count last week’s post-concert acoustic performance at the Season 7 “American Idol” winner’s old stomping grounds, the Gray Snail Saloon in Tulsa.

Cook, along with bandmates, buddies and opening act Ryan Star, played for a packed house of about 250 fans and friends June 23 at the Gray Snail, after putting on a show that night for a sell-out crowd at Cain’s Ballroom.

Before the singer/songwriter/guitarist had “The Time of My Life” on the reality TV contest, he moved from his hometown of Blue Springs, Mo., to Tulsa to join popular regional band the Midwest Kings. By the time he auditioned for “Idol” in 2007, Cook had launched a solo career, playing a regular date every other Wednesday at the Gray Snail with pal Dan Crossland.

“He was still booked when I was watching him on TV. … Right before he left to go to L.A., he said, ‘Hold my spots, I may be right back,’” Gray Snail owner Rob Mason said with a laugh. “Then he got on to where he was in the final 13, and then we pretty much knew after that we might not see him for awhile.”

Credit Cook, 26, for not forgetting where he got his start. In an interview with me last August, just three months after winning “Idol,” he expressed nostalgia for his old haunt, even as he was playing crowded arenas on the “American Idols Live!” tour.

“The crowds are a little bigger, and you … just have more resources available to you. But I don’t know, part of me actually kind of misses playing the Gray Snail on a Wednesday night,” said Cook, whose publicist confirmed that he returned last week to the Tulsa bar.

So, when his first solo tour brought him June 23 to Tulsa, the now-famous Cook visited the Gray Snail for what was supposed to be a private after-party for 50 people following the Cain’s show.

“The gist of what we were expecting to show up was in the VIP room, and the other 200 and some people out in the main bar area got themselves a real nice little show for nothing,” Mason said. “He was up close and personal. I think the first line of people in front of the stage were about a foot and a half from him.”

Mason said they tried to keep the saloon soiree hush-hush, not even confirming it with Cook’s people until 4:30 p.m. the day of the Cain’s concert. But word got out and spread on MySpace and Twitter.

“Nothing’s a secret if it’s on Twitter,” said Little Rock, Ark., fan Sydney Frames, who attended the Cain’s concert and then hit the Gray Snail after getting a message that originated on the micro-blogging site. “He (Cook) did say … something at one point that this was the worst-kept secret ever.”

Oklahoma musicians Bryan Jewett and Nick Gibson joined Cook, Star and their bands onstage. Cook and Co. performed for about 30 minutes, playing Alice in Chains’ “Man in the Box,” Fleetwood Mac’s “Little Lies,” his hit “Light On” and more.

For Frames, the highlight was hearing the Midwest King’s “Make Me” with Cook’s former MWK bandmate and current guitarist Andy Skib on vocals.

“It was cool just having them two feet away from you doing what they do,” Frames said. “It was awesome.”

Tonight’s Thackerville concert will be Frames’ 10th Cook show; 11th if you count the Gray Snail.

Fremont, Calif., fan Cathie Dillard stopped at the Gray Snail between the Cain’s concert and her trip to Oklahoma City to see the “Idol” again June 24 at the Diamond Ballroom. It wasn’t a huge sacrifice for the loyal fan: She’s been to more than 50 Cook shows on the tour and plans to be in Thackerville tonight.

But the Gray Snail event was special, even if it was cramped, because Cook and the others could be more laidback.

“I was smashed in. There were parts of my body that were sweating that I didn’t know could sweat,” Dillard said with a laugh. “There were so many people there … but it was amazing.”

For Mason, the downside to last week’s acoustic event was that the Gray Snail was so crowded he didn’t get a chance to thank Cook for the support he’s given back to the venue.

“Honesty, it was a disaster,” Mason said with a laugh. “We didn’t have any lead time, we were trying to get everything squared away … it turned out to be a lot bigger than we expected. But, oh sure, absolutely, it went great.”

BAM's blog

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #431 on: December 06, 2009, 11:27:40 PM »

Hello! wave (Does anyone still read this thread? Paranoid Just checking! )
Someday I'll bring over the rest of the David news I've found, but for now I wanted to make sure everyone catches David on Carrie Underwood's holiday special airing Tonight on Fox! Thud!
(See, I haven't forgotten you all. Naughty Wink )
  ~Kelly~

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx