gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 162
Total: 162

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keeping Up With David Cook  (Read 106448 times)
Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »

Older article, but still very good. Clapping
"Finalist David Cook's theater chops set the stage for "Idol" success"
by Misha Berson

Sure he's got the great voice, the musical smarts and daring, the cute grin, the word-nerd appeal to fellow crossword-puzzle freaks.
But David Cook had a stealth weapon, as he rose above the pack to be a co-finalist for this year's "American Idol" crown.No, it's not that strange scarf Cook often wears trailing from his back pocket like a talisman.
His special mojo: theater training.
The 25-year-old Cook may be known as a hard rocker. But he took enough acting classes, and co-starred in enough student shows, to also qualify as a true Theater Geek.
His teachers from Blues Springs, Mo., have spilled the beans on how much the adolescent David loved to belt out those Broadway show tunes.
For evidence, get thee to YouTube, where you can watch clips of the teenage Cookie playing Riff in a high-school staging of "West Side Story" and taking pratfalls ("Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh ... ") in a student version of "Singin' in the Rain."
Cook's drama chops gave him the chutzpah to croon that schmaltzy, soaring reverie, "The Music of the Night," from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera" — and emerge unscathed.
Thespian versatility also gave Cook — and, to a lesser extent, third-place contestant and college drama major Syesha Mercado — a boost in other key ways.
So listen and learn, wannabe rock gods and "Idol" hopefuls. Here are some tips Cook may have picked up from his own personal "High School Musical" saga:
Tell the story: Cook's best performances on "American Idol" have been when he's chosen story-songs, and made them two-minute musical playlets.
Actors learn how to hook people fast with a compelling narrative. And Cook has used his facial expressions, dramatic arrangements and agile whisper-to-roar voice range to affectingly put across tales of a single teen mom ("Billie Jean"), a lonely Englishwoman ("Eleanor Rigby"), a guy waking up to life ("I'm Alive").
Play the part: Getting into character is, apparently, a foreign concept to even some of the most vocally gifted 2008 "Idol" contestants (such as Carly Smithson and Cook's co-finalist, David Archuleta). They don't seem to grasp that singing is, basically, acting via music.
Cook gets it. He played the swaggering, sexy dude with his covers of Free's "All Right Now" and the Beatles' "Day Tripper," then softened up as the wounded yet gracious ex-lover (for Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby") and the swoony swain (Lionel Richie's "Hello").
As "Idol" judge Randy Jackson once told Cook, with his usual eloquence, "Dude, I really kinda believed you right there, y'know what I'm saying?" Yes, Randy, we kinda believed him, too.
Look the part: Cook understands that, on camera, every outfit is a costume.
To sing "Day Tripper," shrug on that leather jacket. For Dolly Parton's bluegrass ballad "Little Sparrow," wear that humble, white, Sunday-go-to-meetin' shirt. And to stir up fan-girl frenzy, do your hip casual/formal thing: dark shirt, jacket or vest, tie worn over the collar.
And Cook's changing array of hair styles (head and facial)? Like another "Idol" wardrobe chameleon, Seattle's Sanjaya Malakar, Cookie kept 'em guessing by changing up his tresses — from scraggly emo locks and soul patch, to fashionably choppy designer 'do and scruff-beard.
Practice, chill, practice: For the actor to dissolve into the role, you shouldn't see the fluster.
While rivals like Brooke White and Jason Castro betrayed their nerves and inexperience by screwing up lyrics and choking on raw fear, Cook worked the stage (and camera) with assurance — the kind you get by rehearsing hard and performing since grade school. (And, yes, by playing a gazillion dive-bar gigs in Kansas City and Tulsa.)
Save the theatrics for the performance: Acting teachers often remind students to "leave it on the stage." And except for the odd method-acting genius (say, Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis), that's sage advice.
Thanks to "Idol" media frenzy, most Cook fans know: 1) He has high blood pressure, which spiked one night and sent him to the hospital after an on-air "Idol" performance; and 2) his older brother Adam is seriously ill with brain cancer, yet managed to travel to L.A. to cheer him on.
That old "show must go on" mantra may sound corny, but it's the credo actors live by. Since all is fair in love and talent contests, Cook could have milked his family situation for sympathy votes. He didn't, saving his passion for his songs.
Sure, he's only human, and got a little weepy when his bro was in the "Idol" live audience. But he shed those tears after finishing his song and taking a bow. Now that's a trouper.
wave ~Kelly~

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »

"SKECHERS Signs Idol Winner David Cook to Global Deal: Footwear Company Brings American Idol Winner on Board for Endorsement Agreement "
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif., Jul 09, 2008
A global leader in the lifestyle footwear industry, today announced that it has signed recent American Idol winner and rising star David Cook to a global endorsement agreement. This deal marks the first male celebrity to make SKECHERS' roster since 2002, when actor Robert Downey Jr. was the face of the global brand, and the second American Idol winner, with Carrie Underwood being the first in 2005.
With exclusive worldwide rights to advertise footwear using Cook's image through December 2009, SKECHERS will feature the 25-year-old singer in various SKECHERS' styles through a campaign that will reflect his personality, interests and appeal. Launching in Fall '08, the campaign coincides with the "PopTarts American Idols Live! Tour 2008," and the debut of David's first post-Idol album on 19 Recordings/RCA Records. The SKECHERS Cook campaign will include print, outdoor and in-store.
"I have always viewed SKECHERS as a cool company, so I am excited to be a part of their campaign," said Cook, who proved his enduring popularity by breaking an all-time Billboard chart record with 11 songs debuting on the Hot 100 in a single week after winning American Idol. "They've had some sensational singers like Carrie Underwood and Christina Aguilera as they were starting out and it will be great to be a part of the SKECHERS roster."
"We are thrilled that David will be representing SKECHERS in our marketing campaigns around the world," stated Michael Greenberg, president of SKECHERS. "As a dynamic performer with a friendly, approachable personality, he's a perfect fit for the SKECHERS brand and an exciting next step for our tradition of successful partnerships with emerging music stars."
Greenberg continued, "The crossing-over of fashion and music is beneficial to both industries, and benefits the stars and the brands associated with them. For this reason, we have invested in such phenomenal stars as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Carrie Underwood, Ashlee Simpson, and now, David Cook."
Along with celebrated songstresses Spears, Aguilera, Underwood and Simpson, and male stars like Rob Lowe, Matt Dillon, former Lakers player Rick Fox and Downey Jr. have all appeared in SKECHERS marketing campaigns.
Mr. Cook did not plan to try out when he went to support his brother at the Omaha, Nebraska auditions for season seven of American Idol. Despite his intentions, he was convinced to sing, and was selected to continue to the Hollywood round. The guitar-playing rock singer overcame the odds to beat out over 100,000 contestants before advancing to the top 24. David received the necessary votes to stick around week after week, until he eventually won the title of "American Idol" at the finale in Los Angeles on May 21, 2008.
The global endorsement agreement was signed with 19 Merchandising Limited on behalf of Mr. Cook. "
Marketwatch.com

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »

"LiveDaily Interview: David Cook
Published July 10, 2008 12:07 PM"

by Christina Fuoco-Karasinski / LiveDaily Contributor

The "American Idol" winner should be a champion for the people--and David Cook [ tickets ] is exactly that. The afternoon before the tour's opening night in Glendale, AZ, Cook walked through the media area acknowledging each reporter. Later that evening, fans sitting side stage got a special treat when Cook stood in the wings watching fellow contestant Brooke White and encouraging ticket holders to cheer her on.
"The goal is just to try to create some energy," said Cook, who tried out for the reality-television talent competition on a whim when he accompanied his brother Andrew to auditions. "I think, watching everybody else's set, I've definitely got my work cut out for me. Everybody's bringing it. It's cool. If I can keep up with everybody else, I'll be just fine."
Cook, who began his five-song set with a rock cover of Lionel Richie's "Hello," spoke with LiveDaily about his forthcoming album, his love of Our Lady Peace and how it felt to win the competition.
I understand you're working on a new album and you had the chance to work with Collective Soul's Ed Roland. How was it?
Aww, man, I am a big fan. Obviously, I did "The World I Know" on the show. He always seems to write just really solid, hooky music. I got more nervous about meeting guys like him than I did anybody else through the show and stuff. The bands I get into, you always worry about, "Are they going to be nice?" Ed was so cool. We're talking about going golfing when we swing through Atlanta on the tour. He's a stand-up guy. I was really, really happy with the way everything turned out. Yeah, cool guy.
Who else have you worked with on the album?
I've written with a few people. I got a chance to write with Raine Maida [lead singer] of Our Lady Peace. That was just crazy. He was so nice. I got to write with Zac Maloy of The Nixons, which was cool. Let's see, who else? I got to write with Jason Wade of Lifehouse. I guess I’m lucky. Everyone I've written with has been so nice and really cool. It's been very fruitful. I'm really excited about where the record's headed.
You did Our Lady Peace's "Innocent" on the show. How did you discover the band? They're biggest in border towns and you're from Missouri.
There was a dude that I went to high school with. He was a year or two older than me. At that point, I was really trying to get into some new music. He said, "Well here. Listen to this record." It was Our Lady Peace's "Clumsy." "You can borrow this, da da da." It took me six months to get it back to him. I just loved the record. Then, once college hit and "Gravity" came out, I re-immersed myself in it. I went back and started listening to "Spiritual Machines" and "Happiness ... is Not a Fish That You Can Catch." The ambient stuff on those records is so solid. You just get lost in it. You see the charitable stuff that Raine does and that solidified it for me. I remember watching very recently his video treatment for "Yellow Brick Road," that song he did on his solo record. It was amazing. He goes out and plays acoustic on the streets all day to try to raise $30,000 to build a school in Africa. It's easy for somebody of his stature to kind of rest on his laurels a little bit. The fact that he is so active--I respect him more than I could ever put into words.
For the tour, are you able to choose which songs you sing?
Yeah, yeah. Mainly I'm doing stuff from the show. I'm going to be doing the single, "Time of My Life." And then I have one song that I didn't do on the show, that I'm very, very excited about. It's high energy. I'm hoping to get the crowd into it a little bit and it means something to me.
Do you think you had an advantage over past contestants because you were allowed to play instruments?
I think it helped, yeah, for me personally. I knew going in I wasn't going to be the strongest singer this season. But I knew I could hold my own in my genre. But the instrumentation helped a lot I think. I don't want to say it was a golden goose for me or anything. At the end of the day, I think it was the perfect storm, just a lot of things falling into place for me.
You looked so shocked when you won "American Idol."
I am. I'm still shocked. It's like, "What?" The best way I can explain that moment was it was just an out-of-body experience. I felt like I was watching it. I try to think about it sometimes. I still haven't really processed it. It still seems so foreign to me. I don't feel like I changed. It's like when you have a birthday. Somebody says, "Do you feel older?" It's like, "No." I don't feel like anything's changed just yet.
Wait until 20,000 people start screaming for you tonight. I thought that was really touching when you brought your brother on stage when you won.
He's the reason I'm here. I feel like I'm here on his ticket. Any opportunity that I accrue to showcase the people who put me where I'm at, I'm all for it. So the fact that I was able to do that, that meant a lot to me.
Did it mean a lot to him?
I think so. When I made it through the first round, we were interviewed by a local news affiliate. They asked my brother how he was feeling. He said, "It's great. I don't have to do any of the work. I can just enjoy the fruits of his labor." I tried to help out where I could. I got the chance to have him come out for his 21st birthday, which was a few weeks ago. Spend a little money on him. Pamper him. It was nice to be able to say I'm in that position in my life where I can do something like that.
LiveDaily
wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »

"David Cook Seventeen Interview: David answers 17 questions for Seventeen magazine online"
American Idol winner David Cook answers Seventeen's juicy questions, including why he'd like to trade places with his dog!

1. When was your first kiss?
I was in seventh grade, so that makes me how old? Twelve or 13.

2. Who's your celebrity crush?
Not sure, actually. I’m gonna say Burt Bacharach.

3. What's a girl fashion trend that confuses you?
The whole uncomfortable-shoes thing. I understand to a degree the "pain is beauty" thing, but the whole scrunching your toes into a shoe that's two sizes too small because it matches your dress seems a little absurd to me.

4. What's the girly movie you secretly love?
Three to Tango.

5. What's your TV guilty pleasure?
Mythbusters.

6. Who would play you in the movie version of your life?
My brother Andrew. Or myself.

7. What's your dream job?
Musician.

8. If you could trade places with anyone in the world for one day, who would it be?
I’m gonna go with my dog, Penny. I think there’s something very beautiful in being able to go through a day and not have to worry about anything except "Why didn’t my owner put food in my dish?"

9. Who in your family are you closest to?
I’m close to pretty much everybody in my family. I don’t know that I could single out one person. I’m a big proponent of family.

10. What's your favorite Website?
Funnyordie.com, specifically Will Ferrell's "The Landlord." Wow, I didn’t even have to think about that one.

11. What's the fast food you can't live without?
Burger King chicken sandwich, light on the lettuce.

12. What's your worst habit?
I don’t know that this is a habit, but when you're turning the volume up on the radio — you know, you get the numbers from zero to 50 — the number always has to be an even number or a multiple of five for me. I'm a bit of a neurotic that way.

13. What's the last song you listened to on your iPod?
"Breathe" by Anna Nalick.

14. What's the last thing you bought?
Toothpaste. Colgate Baking Soda & Peroxide with Oxygen Bubbles. Why do I remember that?

15. What did you dream about last night?
I was playing baseball with kids that I used to play baseball with, but I was an adult. It was a good dream.

16. How much money is in your wallet right now?
I think $60 left over from when I took my brother to Santa Monica Pier for his birthday.

17. Fill in the blank: When I was 17, I was ____________.
Awkward.
wave ~Kelly~

Jan
UltimateFan

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »

THANKS KELLEY

I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED EVERY ARTICLE THAT YOU POSTED ON COOK.
WHAT A GUY!!!!
CAN'T WAIT TIL HIS RECORD IS OUT.

JAN

Because of you, I am confident enough to say that there is a better day on the way, even when I cannot see it.
Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »

Hi Jan! wave Huggles
I just saw your post! bigsmile He is a great guy isn't he? Thud!
It's been awhile since I've looked for David articles, now that I'm trying to stop feeling sorry for myself and leave my ImissedDavid'sconcert funk, let's see what I can find. Wink
~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

"David Cook speaks out: American Idol Talks Family, Life On The Road"
By Leslie Warren
Jul 18, 2008

American idol winner David Cook and the other American Idols are currently on the road on the American Idols Live tour.  David, 25, granted an interview with OK! Magazine this week and he talks about everything from family to life on the road.  When the weekly magazine asked David what he loved about the tour he said it was all for the fans.

"This is our way of saying thank you to everybody that voted - it's one big love fest.  Plus, I'm excited to experience parts of the country that I've never seen before."  On life on the road he added,  "There is something romantic about waking up in a different city every day.  There's a cool synergy within the group, and we're really supportive of each other - we got lucky."

David does miss his family, though.  "Obviously, my family is really important to me, so I'm going to try and get them out to as many shows as possible.  But they're only a phone call away.  Whenever I feel like I need to get my ego in check, that's who I'll call."

On his new look, "I got my hair cut, for starters, and I grew the beard.  The show was stressful, and I've dropped about 15 pounds since it all began.  It's been a physical overhaul for me."  And it is busy, David jokes, "I never have downtime to watch TV and eat a box of Cheez-It's," says David of being on tour.

National Ledger

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

Yahoo TV News:
"The Davids on Tour: Who's Feeling More Love?"

By The Idol Chatters/Anna Dimond
Wed Jul 9, 1:33 AM PDT

The American Idol tour officially kicked off in Arizona July 1, starting a summer-long bus odyssey of the continental U.S. On day seven of the journey, though, David Cook and David Archuleta are already feeling the heat of mega fandom that they ignited during Season 7 " albeit in their own ways.

For starters, their tour performances represent their respective hot and cool approaches. Cook claims the audience response so far to Archie is already a tough act to follow. He told TVGuide.com, "It's always fun to go stand in the back and listen to the audience when he first comes out. Crowds have been really noisy for Archie. It's been really intimidating!" Archie maintains, however, that his performance is "laid back" versus Cook's, which is "really exciting and full of energy."

Despite Cook's supposed fear factor, the tour's already trumping the AI competition days. "There's more of an immediate gratification," he confided. "The show, you perform, and then you've got 24 hours before you figure out whether or not you did well. Here it's like, if you do bad, they give you a polite clap or a boo, and if you do well, then they'll cheer."

He added that he's also starting to understand the fandom that's enveloped him and his fellow Idols. "I would always wonder how people got so invested in this show," Cook explained. "And then you go out on tour and talk to people, and they'll have all these stories that really drive home why they tuned in this season." Said Archuleta, "So many people feel that connection with you from watching you."

Yet, for all the savoring of the Idol train, the pair of fan faves still have some mundane perks of their summer tour to embrace. For his part, Cook's looking forward to a stop in Portland, Oregon " not so much for the indie rock scene, as for the lack of state sales tax. What's his plan for the stop? "I'm going to get some golf clubs!" "

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »

Newspaper article from Fort Wayne, IN
by the journalgazette.net
7/15/2008

We met David Cook, the 2008 winner of “American Idol.” He told us all about being on the show and how it felt to win. David told us that he was very nervous singing in front of so many people every week. He also told us about never being in the bottom three.

David said, “It felt great never to be in the bottom three. My goal every week was not to take last. The fact that I was able to avoid that particular stressor in the show was kind of nice. I can’t imagine how crazy that must have been. I was one of the lucky ones.

“I saw myself when I was a kid being one of three things: a baseball player, a ninja or – I always thought it was cool – the guys that got to stand and ride on the back of the trash truck. Those were like my three dream jobs. The music thing started to hit about 16 or 17.

“When I got older, the sports thing wasn’t progressing the way I would have hoped. Music kind of presented itself as something I could do. It made me that much cooler to my friends.”
Journal Gazette
wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »

OK Magazine:
David Cook's Lessons From Life On The Road

July 18, 2008

When you're the new American Idol, you've got to get to grips with the pop star lifestyle pretty fast.
And just three months after winning the contest, David Cook has already learned the true value of family, fans and... Lysol!

Right now, David and rest of the AI Top Ten finalist are two weeks into the American Idol Live summer tour presented by Pop Tarts, and David tells OK! he's loving every minute of it.

"This is our way of saying thank you to everybody that voted -- it's one big love-fest.
"Plus, I'm excited to experience parts of the country that I've never seen before," said the 25-year-old.

"There is something romantic about waking up in a different city every day. There's a cool synergy within the group, and we're really supportive of each other -- we got lucky."

But there's some pitfalls that you have to look out for when you become a star almost overnight.
Like, if you're a guy who was tending bar less than a year ago, you have to make sure that standing in front of a sea of screaming fans every night doesn't go to your head.
"Whenever I feel like I need to get my ego in check, I'll call my family," he said.

"Obviously, my family is really important to me, so I'm going to try and get them out to as many people as possible."

So apart from a firm grip on reality, is there any other must-have item that David has to have on tour?

"My guitar," he says, "and a can of Lysol. I don't trust Michael Johns and that mustache of his!"

Facial hair must seem like a much bigger health risk when you're on a cramped tour bus. 
OK Magazine

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

MASTERCLASSLADY.COM
"Vocal Masterclass Evaluation of David Cook's Analog Heart CD"

by masterclasslady
July 17, 2008

It’s kind of quiet now – the Idols have been enjoying a well-deserved two day rest, but, many of them are busy with contractual and recording obligations. So, it never really stops for these singers.
Therefore, when I was kindly asked by one of my readers, AgainstTheDyingOfTheLight to have a listen to David’s pre-Idol CD, Analog Heart, I thought that this “down time” would be a perfect opportunity to do so.
So, here is my take on a couple of David’s songs.
I hope you enjoy my synopsis and, as always, your comments are most welcome.
David Cook`s Pre-Idol CD, Analog Heart
Written, arranged, produced and performed by David Cook.

"The Truth”:
I love the a cappella beginning of this song; it exposes the distinct timbre of David`s pure and natural voice. And, as I listen, I have to say that the mix of this recording is very good. The vocals are not overwhelmed by the instrumentation. Hopefully, David can make sure that the production of his post -Idol CD will enjoy the same clean and pristine sound.
And, as always, David`s articulation of the words are crystal clear and precise and his full-bodied voice sounds beautifully focused indeed!

He sings with a great deal of head voice throughout his vocal range – just perfect! And , when he reaches the final stages of this song, his upper voice sounds gorgeous. He sustains the “aye” diphthong in the word “way” on the pure vowel – “eh” - and the result is a beautifully projected and centered vocal sound.
Additionally he moves with vocal freedom when he manoeuvres the sustained note on the word “way” through ascending and descending notes, always maintaining an even, full and ringing timbre throughout this powerful section of the song. This is a vocally impressive point in the song and he sounds absolutely outstanding.
This is an impressive recording and a stellar composition – extremely sophisticated and refined, yet full of the raw passion that is so inherent in David’s distinct artistry. If this is a glimpse of what David has to offer the music world as a singer-songwriter, his success will be a healthy, rewarding and inspiring experience for the artist and the listener.
Amazing! Absolutely amazing!

“Silver”:
I love the piano at the beginning of this song – two alternating notes a semitone apart , creating a crescendo as introduction to David’s vocals. Very eerie and, actually, very creative!
Then, with the implementation of further instrumentation, the song gains additional power and dimension. David adopts a more rustic sound when singing this song in keeping with the extreme passion of the lyrical content. It is edgier than “The Truth” and the vocals sound more frenzied, but, at the heart of it all, is David’s strong technical skills. It is an audible presence in every song he performs.
And, again, it ends with the piano, this time with a three-note pattern creating a decrescendo. Very lovely indeed.! And the fact that he bookends the raw passion of this song with just the sound of the piano indicates to me that he is such an intelligent and sophisticated songwriter. He obviously puts so much thought and attention into his music – there is real depth and focus to his song writing abilities.
Excellent work, David. Bravo!

MasterClassLady

(Thank you so much for making me a copy of this amazing CD, Meesa! Without you, I would've never heard it. Huggles I listen to it everyday. blush Clapping
 wave~Kelly~

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »

KELLY, love the thread.  I am a huge David Cook fan.  A friend of mine made me a David Cook cd and I play it contantly.  Love the voice, love the consistent look of David's (no surprises) , and love his quiet caring personality.  I will be one of the first in line when his CD comes out.  I hope he is very, very successful.

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

Detroit Free Press
'Idol" David Cook talks cougars, crosswords as tour hits Detroit

by Julie Hinds/Free Press Pop Culture Writer
July 23, 2008

In the circle of life that is "American Idol," the show begins each year during the snows of winter. After the spring flowers bloom, a winner is chosen. Then, in blazing summer, the concert version travels across the country, making a regular stop in Detroit.
Yes, the "American Idols Live!" 2008 tour arrives at Joe Louis Arena on Thursday. Expect to see screaming young girls, a Pop-Tarts mascot (the event's presenting sponsor), and all of your favorite Top 10 finalists, from the dude with the dreadlocks, Jason Castro, to the chick with the tattoo sleeve, Carly Smithson.
This year, the hottest performer should be David Cook, the 25-year-old pop-rocker whose confident, creative vibe helped him defeat cutie-pie teen David Archuleta for top "Idol" honors.
We caught up by phone recently with Cook, who's making his Motor City performing debut. He shared his idle thoughts on, among other things, cougars, Chikezie and crossword puzzles.
QUESTION: Is there a way to understand your routine on the road? Is it crazy or is there a lot of downtime?
ANSWER: It's a lot of hurry up and wait. But more than anything, now we get to concentrate on being performers as opposed to being contestants and I think that's kind of freed all of us a little bit. The stress level is a lot lower. The hours are a bit better. We get to do what we love without worrying about getting voted off. It's a win-win.
Q: Are you trashing hotel rooms or not? Do you secretly want to?
A: You know, if I were not worried that it would ruffle feathers, I might want to glue some furniture to the ceiling. But no, I'm a pretty docile guy.
Q: Will this be your first time performing here?
A: Yes it will. I've played in Hillsdale, but never in Detroit.
Q: Did you play pre-"Idol" in Hillsdale with your band?
A: Yes, MWK. We played at a school there. Hillsdale College maybe?
Q: Are there any classic Motown songs you've performed onstage before?
A: Well, when I was living in Tulsa, I played a couple of times an acoustic "Let's Get It On." ... It was pretty interesting, to say the least. There's a reason it only happened a couple of times (laughs).
Q: Do you have time to work on your upcoming CD while you're on the road?
A: Yeah, actually, I got into St. Louis late last night. I was in L.A. for a couple of days working on the record. What I like about it is, to me, it's not really carrying the vibe of a generic melodic rock record. I think there's some twists and turns on it. Lyrically, I feel like I've had something to say for a while. To be able to put pen to paper and actually get it out of my system is pretty therapeutic.
Q: Does it have a title yet, to give us an idea of what to expect?
A: Not yet. I definitely want there to be an attitude to it. ... I don't want to come out singing standards or anything. That's just not my vibe.
Q: You seem like someone who wants his performances to be interesting and intimate. How does playing big arenas affect your style?
A: That's been the big learning curve for me, to make it as intimate for the person in the nosebleed seats as it is for the person pressed up against the railing in the front row. There's a weird irony in that when you're on a stage that big, the best way to get across to an audience is to make yourself as vulnerable as possible, which is tough to do with that many sets of eyes on you. But so far, the crowds have been really responsive, so based on that, I'm at least in the ballpark.
Q: What about cougars for Cook (your middle-aged female fans)? Has it been fun to be associated with that?
A: It's actually been really funny for me. ... I've signed so many David Archuleta T-shirts on this tour, everybody's kind of moved past the battle lines being drawn. Everybody's been really complimentary and cool and to be able to really get back to that vibe -- so if I'm not another contestant, I'm not going to get something thrown at me -- is always a nice feeling.
Q: So you're cool with having a wide age range of fans?
A: Oh absolutely. The more people that want to get into what I'm doing, bring 'em on. We've got plenty of room on the bus.
Q: Which of you among the Top 10 is the most geeked about the concerts? Who's the real live wire?
A: Probably Chikezie. He comes out and opens the show. His energy level every night has been absurdly high, to the point where it's a challenge to try to keep up. But ... that's a tough call. I think we're all really excited and the tour's still really fresh.
Q: Of the other nine finalists, who would you like to become for 24 hours?
A: You know, oddly enough, I'm pretty content with being myself at the moment.
Q: Is fame what you imagined it to be?
A: It is so much more than I could ever have imagined. I never want to be that person that turns anybody away for showing interest in my career and myself. In that aspect, I'm making the time for everybody. As soon as I got off the bus here, I went and dropped my bags off and went outside and signed autographs for 30, 40 minutes. The people that come to these shows are the people who put me where I'm at, so it seems like the very least I can do.
Q: What happens when the tour is over?
A: We get into finishing the record the rest of September and maybe a little bit of October. Then a lot of press and promotion until Christmas. We're going to try to get the record out mid-November. Then we start doing shows in the new year.
Q: You're a word guy. What are you reading now?
A: I just finished a Chuck Palahniuk book called "Snuff." It's definitely an adult read, for sure, but it was interesting. I'm a big Palahniuk guy. Stephen Colbert's book "I Am America (And So Can You!)" I've been thumbing through that. Other than that, just a lot of crosswords and stuff.
Q: You're a huge crossword puzzle fan. Has your name been in a crossword puzzle?
A: I have not run across myself as an answer. That's going to be probably one of the weirdest moments of my life.

Detroit Free Press

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »

The Detroit Free Press
"A talk with 4 of the 'Idol' performers"

by Lori Higgins
July 24, 2008

The Free Press sat down with several of the top 10 finishers of season 7 of American Idol. Here’s what David Cook, Syesha Mercado, Jason Castro and Carly Smithson had to say on a few topics:

DAVID COOK, the winner:
On how his new record, due to drop in November, will differ from his first CD, “Analog Heart.”

“That record was written at a specific time of my life, with a specific genre and style in mind. I don’t think I’m going to completely meander away from that. But I definitely want there to be a progression.”

On his involvement in the writing process of the new CD:

“I am involved … as much as I possibly can be. I always want to write as much as I can. If I could write the whole record by myself, I would totally do it. We’ve done quite a few co-writes, which has actually been really fun for me. It’s allowed me to delve into different aspects of songwriting I didn’t know I was capable of doing. I think in that regard, this will easily be the strongest record I’ve ever done.”

On his post-Idol career:

“For me, I just want to get this record out, play on it. Hopefully people will enjoy it. If that means that I get to play arenas again, great. If it means I get to play touristy venues, then hopefully I can go do that and those 200 people will be thoroughly entertained. I just want to go out and play music.”

On his recent on-stage surprises, in which he doused himself with water in one performance, and played guitar while doing a back-bend in another (he says the tricks weren’t planned):

“The energy that a crowd puts out is directly proportional to the show that they get. The night of the water bottle and the night of the backbend - that stuff was really in the moment and it just felt like the thing to do. It’s funny because I’ll get off the stage and Mike Johns and Chikezie will razz me about it. For me, I want to make sure the people feel like they got their money’s worth.”

And if the energy is up?

“Maybe I’ll do kick splits like David Lee Roth used to do.”

Detroit Free Press

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »

KELLY, love the thread.  I am a huge David Cook fan.  A friend of mine made me a David Cook CD and I play it constantly.  Love the voice, love the consistent look of David's (no surprises) , and love his quiet caring personality.  I will be one of the first in line when his CD comes out.  I hope he is very, very successful.

Hi Pepe! Huggles
My computer decided to erase my posts in the OCD today, so I thought I'd come over and work in the David thread for awhile, I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Those are all the things I love about him too! heartbeat
And I already have my copy of his album on pre-order. Wink
Fingers Crossed That he has a very long and successful career. Clapping
~Kelly~ wave

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

USA Today.com
article on the Top 10 Idols and David, from the concert I missed. sigh
"'American Idol' top 10 hit the road to stardom"

by Marco R. della Cava
7/28/2008 8:54 AM

ROSEMONT, Ill. — It's just past 1 p.m. when a convoy of unmarked luxury tour buses pulls up to Allstate Arena, disgorging 10 American Idol finalists in search of a career.
A big hiss from the coach door. Into the wilting humidity steps Chikezie Eze, who raises a weary eyebrow in greeting. Behind him is Ramiele Malubay, lugging luggage that's almost as tall as she is. "I feel like Santa Claus," she groans.

Michael Johns has a spring in his step, but it's deceiving. "I can't sleep on this thing. I keep thinking it's going to crash," he says.

Brooke White frowns as she looks down at her white pants. Big spot. "Oh, well," she says, sighing, striding toward the arena's backstage entrance. Then she looks back. Big smile. "Welcome to madness."

The Byrds posed the musical question 40 years ago: So you want to be a rock 'n' roll star?

The Idols Live tour tries to grant that wish. The old-fashioned way.

Dues are being paid here, a trial by road trip fire that's soothed by both a paycheck and crowds that typically are 10,000 strong.

The Idols pump out nearly a concert a day for 2½ months. Nights on cramped bus bunks, mornings in anonymous hotel rooms. Noon-to-midnight shifts split between signing autographs, performing and signing more autographs. Sleep, wash, rinse, repeat.

On their rare days off, some rush back to Los Angeles to work on albums. Others hammer away at new songs they hope to record before their 15 minutes of Idol fame are up.

This gig in the flight path of O'Hare International Airport is show No. 13 of 53 identical performances that wrap up Sept. 13 in Tulsa. Surely, camaraderie-mauling strife is bound to creep into this grueling picture. Inevitably, the tabloids will have their headlines ("Michael battles Jason for groupie love!").

Right?

A day and night spent with this group reveals friendships that have only gotten tighter, voices that have grown stronger and aspirations that have flown higher.

These are those high school drama buddies at the end of senior year, kids impossibly high on talent whose only lament is that very soon now they'll all scatter to the winds.

How will Jason Castro play blackjack without his good-luck charm, Kristy Lee Cook? Will Malubay ever kick that Lucky Charms habit without Syesha Mercado's concerned nagging? As for fast friends Johns and Idol champ David Cook, separating these twins is something neither wants to address. And for now, they don't have to.

1:40 p.m.

Mobs of fans greet their arrival in Chicago

Suitcases deposited in their latest dressing rooms, most of the Idols head to the parking lot. Hundreds of fans wait in the summer heat, pressed up against metal barricades.

Cheers explode without favor, as shrill for country girl Cook as for tattooed rocker Carly Smithson.

Incredibly, the Idols move slowly and methodically down a 60-yard line of people, skipping no one in this largely female crowd. It's hard to ignore the love. One woman's T-shirt reads O.C.D. — "Obsessive Carly Disorder." Another's banner salutes Dread Heads, fans of dreadlocked Castro.

"He's unique, genuine and humble," says local fan Sarah Crothers, 27, who through a Castro fan site befriended Kairee Kirkwood, 19, who was lured here all the way from Edmonton, Canada, by a free ticket. "I wouldn't have missed him for the world," says Kirkwood.

A few feet away, a fan hands Johns his iPod to sign, then a phone with a girlfriend on the line. The Australian native obliges on both counts. How can he be so relentlessly accommodating?

"Hey, mate, beats what I was doing this time last year," he says.

A fan shoots Johns a thumbs-up for his Chicago Cubs jacket. "Yeah, my buddy Mark DeRosa's the second baseman. I'm going to sing the national anthem at Wrigley again. Doing that made me more nervous than any Idol performance I ever …"

A thundering 747 cuts Johns off, flying just over the roof of the arena on its way to land. The clouds it slices through look menacing.

2:30 p.m.

Time for a quick bite to eat — and a few quick laughs

"Well, look at that, shepherd's pie," says Smithson, surprised to find a British staple as she loads up her plate at the mess hall. The Idols are traveling with their own chef to help mitigate a range in the quality of concert-hall catering.

She sits down with David Archuleta, who's poking at his soup and sandwich. Dad Jeff sits nearby; he's along because his son is only 17.

Castro ambles in. He looks in need of a nap.

"I can't really sleep at night. I guess that's a problem for a lot of us," he says. "I don't go on until the second half of the show, so I grab an hour or more of sleep then."

His favorite part of the tour was a recent two-day hiatus in St. Louis, where the fairer Cook brought him good luck at the blackjack tables. "She and I have gotten close. She's just great."

In a room next door, some of the Idols are trotted out for local media. But given that it's a Saturday and the arena is far from downtown Chicago, the crowd is thin.

After a quick TV interview, Mercado plops down in a plastic chair and exhales. "This is grueling, but being friends helps get us through it."

She says bonding is intense on the girls' bus (the boys have their own). It's an oasis of "Zen calm," complete with candles and healthy foods. Except for Malubay's boxes of sugary cereal.

"Hey, she eats my cereal, too," Malubay says, pointing at Mercado, whom she calls "my sister."

"I do not!" mock-yells Mercado, looking over at White, who also is digging into a bowl.

"Would you look at that woman," says Mercado. "She is so small, but she's always eating."

White laughs. "It's like we're about to graduate, and I can only hope we'll keep in touch," she says. "I am so much myself with these people."

4:10 p.m.

More meeting, more greeting, more signing

All 10 Idols sit at a long table, a bottle of water and a box of Pop-Tarts — the tour's sponsor — in front of each one. Time to get the pens moving again as part of two meet-and-greets, the first with Pop-Tarts' guests, the second with the fractional jet ownership company, NetJets.

Between autographs, Kristy Lee Cook tugs at a bracelet on Archuleta's left wrist. It reads "Archie." A fan gave it to him.

"The crazy thing is, no one has ever called me that before this show," says Archuleta, who is now called that exclusively to distinguish him from the other David.

Cook ascribes Archuleta's huge appeal to the fact that he's "the perfect gentleman." Albeit one she's trying to toughen up. Trained in martial arts, she's teaching him "how to really punch," she says. "He could use some practice."

She says she's had no time to work out since her Idol adventure began. Instead, keeping her motor running means catching shut-eye when she can. And the occasional artificial boost. "I had a can of Red Bull the other day, my first in three years," she says. "I swear, I'm still wound up from it."

The special autograph session over, Eze and David Cook begin the long underground walk to the stage for soundcheck. Cook is carrying a massive framed certificate, showing that a star has been named after the Idol winner.

"Cool, huh?" Cook says.

Eze fires back, "Of course, that's likely a theoretical star."

Cook laughs. "Yeah," he says, "just like me."

Suddenly, a human horn sounds.

"Beep, beep," Smithson says. "Jump on the Carly Express."

Smithson has commandeered a large electric cart. Malubay hops on, followed by others.

"My father-in-law has these carts at his place in Florida, and I love to drive them," Smithson says. She hits the pedal.

It's difficult to tell if those are squeals of delight.

5:25 p.m.

At rehearsals, humor helps lighten the mood

The group is on stage, rehearsing their final number. Time to ham it up as technicians check sound levels.

Kristy Lee Cook, White and Malubay lie on their sides, lifting one leg to the beat in a mock workout. Johns runs up and down a small center-stage staircase as if he's at the gym. Next, they all start doing stomach crunches, laughter drowned out by the thumping beat.

About 90 minutes left before showtime. The group scatters. Eze disappears with his portable video game, deep into a round of Pokémon. The women start hair and makeup, while Johns parks himself in front of an office whose makeshift sign says, "Chiropractor," a useful fixture on a tour that's seen its share of scrapes and bumps (David Cook's knee, Johns' elbow).

"It's been hard to stay fit," Johns says, lamenting his inability to hit the tennis courts. "But I will say, being a celebrity doesn't suck."

He's referring to the tour's stop in Portland, Ore., home of Nike, which gave him a VIP tour.

Johns brought along David Cook, and the two walked out "with a lot of swag," Johns says, pointing at his sneakers. "Roger Federer's personal line of casual shoes. You can't buy these," says Johns, eyes alight. "I don't know how long I'll be a celebrity. Might as well enjoy."

Cook ambles by. The two communicate in a shorthand usually reserved for siblings, all nudges, winks and quips.

"We have the same sense of humor," Cook says. "But, ultimately, this tour isn't about me or David (Archuleta) or Mike, it's about saying thank you to all these people who voted for us."

Showtime — 7:10 sharp — nears. A few Idols dash back to the commissary for dinner. Fried chicken and king crab legs. Plates are light.

Closer to the stage, White and Smithson harmonize while getting their makeup applied. David Cook and Castro both are on cellphones, Cook pacing incessantly while Castro squats near an equipment dolly. Neither are in a rush because they don't come on until the second half of the show.

Nearby, a man dressed as a Pop-Tart tugs on his cartoon gloves, then poses for a picture with the crew before heading out to clown around with the crowd. Castro does a double take.

7:14 p.m.

It's showtime, and the livin' ain't easy …

Eze kicks things off with a blast of soul, which Malubay stretches into diva-ish R&B. Johns switches into rock mode, predictably crushing with Aerosmith's Dream On, his Idol swan song.

Kristy Lee Cook is a revelation, singing in a pure country voice. Her electric blond hair and sequined body win over the formerly disinterested dads in the audience. During Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA, folks tear up.

Smithson brings back the rock vibe. She's spot-on with Heart's Crazy On You, and the crowd lets her know it. "Wow," she says. "A year ago, we all had regular jobs. Now we're here playing to you. That's crazy."

White softens the mood with her set, typified by her barefoot performance of Let It Be.

Smiling is mom Danielle Achepohl, here with four young girls. "If you have kids who love music, there aren't many shows you can bring them to," she says. "This is clean."

The first half ends with a video nod to the charity effort Idol Gives Back. All those who have performed so far return to the stage for U2's Pride (Inthe Name of Love), which then gives way to a Guitar Hero audience-participation session.

Backstage, Eze is off by himself, video game in hand. He smiles easily, but his voice is hushed.

"I guess I'm a loner generally," he says. "But the audience does give me so much. Excuse me." He disappears off toward the chiropractor's office.

Smithson walks by. "Have you seen the keys to this golf cart? I want to go for another ride," she says. The tour has been "a lot more work" than she expected, between the travel and the incessant autograph sessions, not to mention the concerts. "I'm not sure when Motley Crue gets up, but it's not when we do."

The upside, she says, is being able to sharpen her act without worrying about whether it's Beatles week or what Simon Cowell might say about her outfit. "I feel I'm stronger all the way around, from my personality to my voice," she says.

Kristy Lee Cook nods. "On the road, it's been so satisfying to hear fans say, 'We didn't really like you that much on the show, but we love you now.' "

8:55 p.m.

Archuleta brings the show to a crescendo

On stage, Castro's ukulele is mistakenly left unplugged, but he perseveres. Mercado scores a standing ovation after a blistering version of Beyoncé's Listen.

Then comes the Boy Wonder, recalling Beatlemania. The structural integrity of the arena is in doubt as Archuleta rises from the floor, seated at a piano, to perform Robbie Williams' Angels.

"All we're missing is people on stretchers," says Jeff Archuleta, mouthing every lyric.

After Hello, Idol winner Cook whips out a video camera. "I've been filming every audience on this tour to remind me of this experience, so make some noise," he says. It does.

"We're done!" White says after the Idols' Don't Stop the Music finale.

Not even close.

10:50 p.m.

More fans, and more autographs

Back in T-shirts, jeans and sneakers, the Idols return to their fans. This time, the crowd lines 100 yards of fence, three deep. Nearly two dozen police keep an eye on things, though teen girls tend to pose a threat only to eardrums.

For an hour, 10 singers no one knew a year ago sign shirts and posters and newspaper clippings, collect candies, brownies and kisses, and generally bond with a populace that may stay loyal. Or may move on to Season 8's winners.

But for now, they're theirs.

"I'm tired, sure," Johns says. "But you get energy from these people. Just look at them."

The shrieks erase all thoughts of sleep.

12:05 a.m.

On the road again …

The fans won't leave. But there's a schedule to keep. As the flier distributed to the Idols notes, "Tomorrow is a show day in Columbus, Ohio. O'nite drive: 370 miles/6 hours. Move watches forward an hour."

Rain is in the air. Lightning, too.

Johns heads to the boys' bus. On the way, he wraps Archuleta in a bear hug. The youngest Idol squeals in surprise.

"Come on, mate," Johns says. "Time to go."

Another night, another city.

USA Today.com

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »

Billboard.com
"David Cook promises 'Twists, Turns' On Debut CD"

by Gary Graff
July 25, 2008

Even though he's busy on the road with the American Idols Live! tour, reigning champ David Cook says he's making good progress on his debut album. "I think we've for sure got seven songs we're tracking," Cook tells Billboard.com. "We're gonna try to get to around 20 I think, and work it out from there."

Cook's album, which he hopes to release in November via 19 Recordings/Arista, is being helmed by Rob Cavallo in Los Angeles. Cook has been writing material for the set, and his collaborators so far include Collective Soul's Ed Roland, Our Lady Peace's Raine Maida, John Fields and Kara DioGuardi.

"I really just try to get into these creative processes with some different minds and see what happens, and so far the results have been great," Cook says. "I don't really feel like I've had a fruitless writing session yet."

He recently flew back to Los Angeles during a couple of off days from the Idols tour to do some recording and says what he heard is "definitely heading down the right path. I just want the record to be both eclectic and cohesive and have something to say. The music is rock and it's pretty undeniably me, which I'm pretty excited about." He adds that he also wants the album to have "room to meander" stylistically and promises that "there's gonna be some interesting twists and turns ... that will keep people interested."

Cook certainly has reason to be optimistic. After his "American Idol" victory in May he placed a record 10 of his "Idol" performances plus his first single, "The Time of My Life," on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with a total of 944,000 first-week downloads.

That's given him a formidable repertoire for the Idols tour -- where he's sporting a rubber bracelet bearing the legend "David Is My Idol."

"It's actually a David Archuleta wristband," Cook says with a laugh, explaining that it was given to him in Salt Lake City by a fan of the teenage "Idol" runner-up. "I'm actually a pretty big Archuleta fan. I think he's a fantastic performer and, more importantly, a good human being. So it's just a little way to show some support."

Billboard.com

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 22:48:00 07/29/2008

DID YOU KNOW?
David Cook January concert in RP

MANILA, Philippines—A surprise announcement from David Cook himself had his web fan site buzzing with excitement, especially from its Filipino subscribers: “American Idol”’s Season 7 champ is coming to Manila for a concert.

Comments from the website ranged from incredulity to amazement to simple joy, in a thread whose common question was the need to present proof.

Inquirer pursued a tip that the evidence was earlier posted on YouTube, and indeed, there it was (type in: CHUMFM interview with David Cook). The audio clip, 4 minutes and 15 seconds long, has Cook being interviewed by DJ Richie on a Canadian radio station. The conversation starts with Cook’s scheduled visit to Toronto as part of the “Idol” tour.

Cook proceeded to discuss his coming major-label debut CD, set for a November release and with Rob Cavallo (Green Day, My Chemical Romance) as producer.

And then the announcement: “We just booked my first show, post-‘Idol,’ Jan. 27 in the Philippines … a one-off show and then we start the tour in the States …” Pocholo Concepcion

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »

"David Cook Makes Headway With New Album"
Wed, 2008-07-30 13:37.
By: Lauren Moraski

David Cook is making some good headway with his debut album. The American Idol champ is busy on the road with this year's finalists, but he's also setting his sights on writing and recording new music. He recently visited Los Angeles to lay down some tracks for the set, which is expected out November 19th and will feature writing collaborations with Collective Soul's Ed Roland, Our Lady Peace's Raine Maida, John Fields and Kara DioGuardi.

The songs mostly have a rock-based sound, and Cook says so far he's happy with the turnout:"I think we've for sure we've gotten seven songs that we're tracking. We're going to try to get to around 20 I think. I just want the record to be both reflective and cohesive and have something to say and I feel like we're definitely heading down the right path, so."

Cook tells us the songs definitely reflect his personality and personal situations: "It's pretty undeniably me, which I'm excited about. I feel like my experiences in the last year -- not just with the show -- just with life -- I have a lot of things to talk about."

The American Idols Live! tour pulls into Newark, New Jersey tonight (Wednesday, July 30th) and winds down September 13th in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

CJBK

wave ~Kelly~

Claygirl
SuperFan

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »

American Idol David Cook's idol? Canadian singer-songwriter Raine Maida

TORONTO — He barely registered on "American Idol" until he cut his hair and sang "Hello."

From then on, David Cook was the unlikely dark horse who reinvented hits from the '80s and '90s to the delight of his female fans, in the end trouncing teenage phenom David Archuleta in a landslide upset.

Cook and his fellow Top 10 competitors arrive in Toronto on Saturday, and it turns out that the emo-balladeer has a musical idol of his own - Canadian singer-songwriter Raine Maida.

Cook says he's long been a fan of the Our Lady Peace singer and requested a meeting with Maida when it came time to hash out material for his "Idol"-funded solo release.

"The songs that we wrote were, in my opinion, some of the strongest that we've done for this record," Cook says by phone from a recent tour stop in Detroit.

"I'm very pleased with how it turned out and I'm actually hoping to get together with him again before the record gets released and try to write some more."

Cook notes that Maida's edgy rock sound is very much in line with the type of material he hopes to put out himself. Other rockers he's written with include Ed Roland from Collective Soul and Zac Maloy from the Nixons.

"I wanted to write with people that I admired and respected and people that I thought could tune into the kind of vibe that I wanted. Raine's definitely one of those people," he says of the L.A. writing session, in which he also met Maida's wife, songstress
Chantal Kreviazuk, and their sons.

"I put his name on a list, I turned that list in and next thing I know he was on the schedule. With it being my first session I remember being just really nervous because you always have that kind of anxiety, this person I look up to - 'Are they going to be nice?' ... And in the first 15 seconds he completely put me at ease. He's the most unassuming, down-to-earth person I think I've ever met."

Cook, who chose the Our Lady Peace song "Innocent" for his Top 8 performance, says he hopes to release the disc in the fall, and follow it up with another tour.

During the Idol competition, the 25-year-old singer distinguished himself from the pack with a harder rock sound and a breathy delivery that made his female fans swoon.

Unconventional arrangements of '80s and '90s classics including Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean," Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby," and Lionel Richie's "Hello" earned him glowing reviews from judges Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell.

Cook's alt-rock performance of "Billie Jean," was actually a Chris Cornell arrangement, but the Idol champ lays claim to unique interpretations of "Always Be My Baby" and "Hello," which came in at week 3 as he entered the Top 16.

Cook says his guitar-driven emo version of "Hello" started out as an inside joke with his buddies back home in Tulsa, Okla.

"We always joked around that that would be a great power ballad. And then I had the first two weeks where I kind of stumbled over myself a little bit, was just trying to find my footing and I really walked into that third week, and was just like...'I'm just going to have fun with this song - I'll do it.' "

The judges loved his rendition, and in many ways, that off-beat approach set the tone for Cook's gradual climb to the top.

Cook says he's going for similar musical surprises when he releases his solo album later this year.

"It's a rock record but in my opinion it's not the standard 'one-four-five' pop chord progression rock," he insists, noting the lyrics deal with "themes of love and displacement, being unsure and all those kind of vibes."

"I wanted there to be some room on this record to meander and do some interesting things that make a listener want to pay attention."

I guess you learn something new everyday, I had no idea one of my favorite singers ever, Chantal Kreviazuk, is the wife of David's favorite singer Raine Maida. bigsmile
 wave ~Kelly~

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx