gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:42:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MAY 9  (Read 2808 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: May 09, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »

Nightline Playlist: Clay Aiken
The Award-Winning Singer and Broadway Star Shares the Songs That Inspire Him
By DEBORAH APTON and CHRISTINA CARON  May 8, 2008 

One day during a trip to the North Carolina coastline, Aiken and his mother came across a Christian puppet show on the boardwalk. The performers were singing "Kum Ba Yah" and asked if anybody wanted to sing along.

"At five years old I threw my hands up and I was like, 'OK, I'll come sing,'" Aiken said. "And they said, 'Sing whatever you want to,' and my mom said she was paranoid, petrified, that I was going to sing "Islands in the Stream" at this little Christian puppet show and embarrass her. But I think I sang something like 'Jesus Loves Me.'"

When all the other kids were proclaiming "I'm a Little Teapot," young Aiken favored "Islands In The Stream," by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, after hearing it on the radio.

Today Aiken, 29, still knows how to please a crowd and remains the most successful of the male "American Idol" contestants. His first three albums played it safe, with few original songs and lots of crowd-pleasing covers. Critics complained Aiken wasn't revealing enough, and after belting out Brian Adams and Mr. Mister, Aiken himself has admitted that it was tough for him to make a statement via repackaged music.

But unlike his previous albums that conform to a particular genre, Aiken considers his newest album, "On My Way Here," which arrived in stores this week, to be an eclectic mix that reflects his personal style. Aiken only wrote one song on the record, "Lover All Alone," but selected the remaining songs to represent experiences he's had in the past five years.

"I feel kind of lucky that we're in a position where I don't have to make everything sound the same on the album so people can say, 'Oh he fits in this category or this category.' We've been kind of lucky to do what we want to do and kind of test the waters in different places," Aiken said. "I mean, there's so much I like to sing and there's so many different styles I think are fun and worthy of being performed. So we don't let ourselves get pigeon-holed too much. We spent a lot of time making sure that we just found songs that we good for me."

Aiken's First Audition
Aiken says he has been singing even before he can remember.

"My mom says that I sang from the time that I was 18 months old, which I don't necessarily remember," he said. "I remember auditioning to be the mascot for a local high school's 'Queen of Hearts' dance when I was 5 years old… Probably the first thing I ever won; only thing really."

In 2003 Aiken did, however, come very close to winning "American Idol," the most well-known singing contest in the nation. As one of the two finalists left standing, Aiken lost while Ruben Studdard walked away with the coveted recording contract.

Since then, Studdard was dropped by his label after a disappointing performance on the music charts, while Aiken's albums went platinum. After receiving several prestigious honors from Billboard and the American Music Awards, Aiken has sold more albums and had more No. 1 songs than any other "American Idol" alum except for Kelly Clarkson.

Aside from his impressive vocal range, Aiken is best known for his work with special needs children. In the 1990s he directed a YMCA children's camp and majored in special education at the University of North Carolina in Charlotte.

Fame has provided Aiken with a new platform for the kids he wants to help. In 2003, after becoming a household name to "American Idol" fans, he created the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, an integrated program for children with and without developmental disabilities.

Given Aiken's passion for teaching and community outreach, it's not surprising that one of his favorite songs serves as a reminder of the summer camp Aiken used to run.

Watch Clay Aiken's interview on "Nightline" tonight at 11:35 p.m. and check ABCNEWS.com on Friday to find out which songs top Clay Aiken's playlist.

ABCNEWS
*there are links to photos and videos there*

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:20:13 AM »

NEW CD REVIEWS

By Gerry Galipault
HERALD-TRIBUNE
Published Thursday, May 8, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

Clay Aiken: ON MY WAY HERE
A common criticism of “American Idol” finalists is that when they get into the recording studio, their talent is overshadowed by poor material selection and overproduction. There’s not a hint of that on Aiken’s first album of original material since 2003.

Hear here: tinyurl.com/3ena5p. Grade: A-
HERLADTRIBUNE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »

Phots from Good Morning America:

GMA/SUMMERCONCERT

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:56 AM »

Clay Aiken's Life Lessons
Clay Aiken's new album "On My Way Here" has been released and is his first collection of original songs since his debut album went double platinum in 2003. Karen Brown reports.

Video:
CBS

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:27:38 AM »

CLAY AIKEN CREATES QUITE THE COMMOTION AT OUR TIMES SQUARE MEGASTORE:
May 8, 2008 at 1:18 am (Times Square Store) (Clay Aiken, Dee McLaughlin, Virgin Megastores)

Well Clay Aiken fans were out in full force last night as they descended on our Virgin Megastore Times Square - two days early to secure a place in line to meet Clay Aiken. Fans slept on the streets outside our store for two nights waiting for his arrival yesterday afternoon. Clay’s CD went on sale at midnight on Monday and it was quite the event for our friends outside. Hundreds of fans chanted as midnight approached in anticipation of purchasing “On My Way Here”. Multiple copies were bought by each fan making it a record breaking Clay Aiken fan night! Clay arrived at the Virgin Times Square on May 6th just before his scheduled 2PM signing from his busy TV appearance schedule in NYC. Clay Fans (not to be mistaken with the Clay Mates) clapped and screamed as he went down the escalator. We were only able to get the first 300 fans in to meet him, due to his packed schedule — however we look forward to having him back again in our stores soon. In case you couldn’t make it out - check out the video below.
VIRGINMEGASPHERE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 04:32:13 AM »

More videos:

ABC

*the second video down is the new song "Ashes"*

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:35:29 AM »

Clay sold 300, up from 200, for a total of 525,000. Numbers on his new album next week

USATODAYBLOGS

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:39:24 AM »

Season Two – Bee Gees
This Week in American Idol History: The Dreaded Round of Four
by Donna Reynolds -- 05/05/2008

We’ve finally arrived at the top four. In previous years, this round has seen some truly shocking results, including season five’s elimination, which may be the most shocking in the history of the show. But another precedent is being set by top four cast-offs, and what they have in common may surprise you. Read on for all the details.(snip)

The second season's top four performed songs by the legendary Bee Gees, with Robin Gibb on hand as guest judge. This was the night that Clay broke out the red jacket and sang “Grease.” Who will ever forget that hip twitch! Ruben was sensational singing, “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart,” and Kimberley Locke tore me up with her rendition of “Emotions.”

Both Clay and Josh Gracin sang “To Love Somebody,” which was a little strange. Josh's gamble didn't pay off. Clay’s version was superior, and Josh went home the following night. Josh’s final song was sweet, though. He brought his little girl up on the stage and sang his farewell song to her. The final three was just as it should be, and Kimberley Locke was coming on strong.

FOXESONIDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 04:42:04 AM »

Wrap-up of entertainment quotes from The Associated Press

I'm not cool, you know what I mean? I'm not gonna lie. I'm not trying to be Justin Timberlake. Thank God we have him, but I'm not him. ... I'm not gonna bring anybody's sexy back." — Clay Aiken.

SFGATE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:44:50 AM »

Neil Diamond On Track For First No. 1 Album Ever
May 07, 2008, 5:50 PM ET

Keith Caulfield, L.A.
Forty-one years after he first appeared on The Billboard 200, Neil Diamond looks to be on course to earn his first No. 1 album ever on next week's chart as first-day sales of "Home Before Dark" (Columbia) lead the Nielsen SoundScan Building chart released May 7.

Unweighted sales for "Home" from the chart's panel of nine reporters through the close of business Tuesday, May 6, came in at 30,000. A source close to the album projects a first-week start in the neighborhood of 125,000. This week's current No. 1, Madonna's "Hard Candy" (Warner Bros.), may slide to No. 2 or No. 3 next week on The Billboard 200, while new entries from Gavin DeGraw, Clay Aiken, Toby Keith and Josh Groban look headed for top 10 bows.

Projecting sales this week is a bit tricky as shopping for the Mother's Day
holiday on Sunday, May 11, may amplify the demand for certain sets -- like the mom-friendly efforts from Diamond, Aiken, Keith and Groban.

Billboard estimates the merchants who report to Nielsen SoundScan's Building Chart -- Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Circuit City, iTunes, Starbucks, Borders, Target, Anderson Merchandisers and Handleman Co. -- comprise about 80% of all U.S. album sales.

Over the course of Diamond's career, he's racked up 45 albums on The

Billboard 200, starting with 1966's "The Feel of Neil Diamond." The recent "American Idol" guest has earned 13 top 10 albums, including his last effort, "12 Songs," which debuted and peaked at No. 4 in late 2005.

BILLBOARD

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:45:23 AM »

DIAMOND IS A CHART’S BEST FRIEND   
Legend’s Rick Rubin-Produced Columbia Album Will Debut at #1
May 7, 2008

It’s been 42 years since Neil Diamond released his debut album in 1966, The Feel of Neil Diamond.

The veteran singer-songwriter proves he’s still got the waist movement, Cherry, with his latest Columbia Records release, Home Before Dark, produced by label creative chief Rick Rubin, set to debut at #1 next week for Steve Barnett and company with a one-week total of 125-130k.

That number, which could go higher with Mother’s Day weekend sales, should be more than enough to beat out Madonna’s WB release, Hard Candy, which appears on tap for between 85-95k after one week on top.

It’ll be the first chart-topping bow for Diamond in his four-decade-long career, based on one-day reports from all those music retailers recovered enough from Cinco de Mayo festivities to return our e-mails.

Diamond's last album for the label, 2005’s 12 Songs, the first one produced by Rubin, saw its sales stunted by Andy Lack’s rootkit fiasco, though it recovered enough to eventually go gold.

RCA American Idol alum Clay Aiken is On My Way Here, with loyal Claymates pushing his first-week sales total to 80-85k, just ahead of fellow J Records heartthrob Gavin DeGraw’s self-titled sophomore album with 75-80k.

Other chart newcomers include Show Dog Mercury country star Toby Keith’s 35 Biggest Hits, on target for 60-70k, followed by 143/Reprise pop crooner Josh Groban’s live CD/DVD package at 50-55k and a greatest hits compilation from Capitol Nashville’s latest Real Men of Genius subject Dierks Bentley at 30-35k.

The market was up 10% over last week, down 10% vs. the same week last year and down 11% year to date, which seems to be following the trajectory of George W.’s approval rating. 

HDD

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:52:31 AM »

Mediabase - Published Panel
Past 7 Days
Jump! Menu

Artist                      Title                 Move       Stations Playing

CLAY AIKEN     On My Way Here         +14            10

MEDIABASE

Clay "is" the "News"
NCSandhillsDeb
Adults
SuperFan

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 07:07:39 AM »

Good morning!!!!!   

Thanks for all the news and links Deanna.   Huggles

Debbie

All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  Charles M Schulz
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx